The Forgotten Child by watercrystals
Summary: Voldemort is gone and Harry's relatives had no desire to keep Harry for long, so he was placed into an orphanage until he was adopted by a family. But when they pass away a few years later, he is placed into the custody of another who had just moved to Spinner's End. That is when Severus first saw the boy without even knowing who he was. The little boy, seven years old, who was always forgotten, uncared for and treated like filth. Severus watches this boy and sees a reflection of his own childhood. And when they meet, Severus vows to offer kindness where no one else does, in the form of a simple piece of food the boy lacked or a warm blanket for the cold days ahead. And when things get worst, he even offers shelter to the child the world had forgotten and cast aside.
The boy Severus now wants to save.
Categories: Healer Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Filch, Fred George, Ginny, McGonagall, Original Character, Other, Pomfrey, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic, Runaway, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 1st summer before Hogwarts
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: No Word count: 156318 Read: 208506 Published: 16 Oct 2010 Updated: 07 Sep 2013
Hogwarts Acceptance Letter by watercrystals

 

Harry didn't know how long he stood in his bedroom, staring at the important unopened envelope sitting on his dresser.

Fearing the breeze from his window would blow it away, Harry lunged forward to slam it shut and pulled a dangling cord to close the blinds. Swallowing, Harry reached with shaking hands for the delivery he had been anticipating for three years. Walking backwards, Harry sank onto the edge of his bed with the envelope in his hands.

He read the C. Summers on the front, followed by his address, and gulped.

Carefully he turned it over and saw the wax Hogwarts crest. He was afraid to open it. In fact, after so long of waiting for its arrival, Harry wanted to burn it until there was nothing left. The owl-delivered item was, in his view, what would cause his separation from Jack. The unopened letter of presumed acceptance to Hogwarts was what Harry felt was going to tear him apart from his best friend forever.

Growling, Harry stood abruptly and shoved the envelope harshly into the depth of his top drawer, crumpling it amongst the clothes. He slammed the drawer shut and gave it a glare for good measure. As long as he never opened it, Harry didn't have to go anywhere and Jack wasn't going to leave.

The eleven-year-old refused to think otherwise, as he turned and marched angrily out of his bedroom.

--

The days passed by and Harry wished he could stop himself from checking his drawer every morning and night to make sure it was still there. He had almost been caught twice by his mother, but Harry was determined to keep it a secret. He believed, as long as it was buried in his drawer amongst his clean socks, no one could make him or Jack leave. The longer he told himself that, the less he began to believe it.

As the tenth of July came around, Harry was dressed and ready to go to the Amusement Park with his parents and Jack. He gave his best friend as much birthday cheer as he could and the boys had a wonderful day trying out the rides and food. Severus had gone with them under the insistance of Erin, and looked thoroughly annoyed the entire duration - especially when the boys frequently ran off in excitement.

When the family got home after dropping Jack back at his house, Harry headed straight upstairs to shower and collapsed onto his bed from exhaustion. He'd had a marvellous day and enjoyed it a lot, yet his mind had drifted back to his letter even then. He quickly jumped up and checked if it was still there, before leaning back to exhale with relief.

Laying flat on his back on his bed, Harry stared upwards and wondered about his letter. His anger had faded somewhat and even with his determination not to lose Jack was higher after spending such a great day with him on his friend's birthday, Harry could not help thinking about what his father had said some time ago. Severus lost a friend too, and implied there was no way it could be fixed. Harry supposed he could try to find Jack again one day, but he would hate for it to come to that. He wanted Jack with him now and for all time, so they could share their experiences and be there when the other had a need for his best friend.

Rolling onto his side, Harry stared at his dresser again and frowned.

What about Hogwarts?

Harry felt like a horrible person for even thinking it, and yet the truth could not be ignored. He was a wizard. Harry was magical like his former parents and his new ones as well. As far as he knew, Jack hadn't ever done anything magical at all. He was a...Muggle. Feeling doubt and sadness fill him, Harry wondered if maybe it was better if he did leave. He couldn't imagine how he'd feel if Jack was a wizard and he wasn't. Would Jack always look at Harry and see what he couldn't have? Was Harry actually helping by leaving his non-magical friend behind?

He didn't know what to do, and his first thought was to ask his father.

'Ready for bed?' Erin appeared at the doorway.

'I...' Harry hesitated. 'Yes.' He sighed and looked away.

He couldn't say anything now, because he would have to admit he'd hidden the letter from them. And with it tucked safely out of sight, Harry was sure there was no harm in leaving it there a while longer.

--

And so he did.

For another week, Harry ignored his letter the best he could even if it was always on his mind. It had been a demonstration of admirable stubbornness and determination, until mid-July, when he could stand it no longer.

'What's with you?' Jack frowned one afternoon as the boys say in Harry's bedroom and tried to play a game of chess, except the dark-haired boy was constantly distracted and kept forgetting what he was doing. 'You've been acting really odd lately.'

'Sorry.' Harry mumbled. 'I-I have to tell you something.'

He decided that if there was anyone in the whole world he could tell his secret to, it would be Jack. At the same time Harry was most fearful of Jack's reaction to the news, because it was their worse fear becoming a reality. He had to say something, as he could not hide it any longer, or else Harry felt he was going to explode.

'What is it?'

Harry didn't answer at first. Harry walked to his dresser and lifted out the envelope. It was a bit crushed, but smoothed easily enough as he pressed it flat with his hand.

'It's my letter.' Harry said quietly and held it towards his friend.

'Oh.' Jack's simple reply and reaction held a lot of emotions at once; sadness, dread, fear, curiosity, and surprise. 'You haven't opened it.' He stated as he looked at the untouched crest sealing the envelope closed.

'No.' Harry sat down on the floor with Jack. 'I've had it for a little while, but I can't open it. It-it's what's going to make us never see each other again.'

Jack didn't reply. He stared at the letter and his eyes filled with tears. Putting on a brave smile, he brushed them away and held the letter out to Harry.

'Open it.' Jack told the other boy. 'It's for you, Harry. You're a wizard and I'm not. My parents are still going to go to America for Michael. I know what you're thinking, but don't. Open it...you have to.'

'I don't want to.' Harry was startled by the sudden encouragement to open his horrible letter. 'I don't want to go to Hogwarts anymore!'

'You have to.' Jack looked away. 'Don't miss out because of me. Open it!'

Harry looked down at his envelope and contemplated what his best friend was telling him. Jack was really good at knowing what he was thinking, and his words made sense whereas his mind had ignored the truth of the matter. Jack was right, because if Harry opened the letter or left it, nothing was going to change for Jack. If Harry left and went to Hogwarts, Jack would already have gone to America.

Exhaling, Harry placed his finger beneath the fold and broke the seal. He lifted out the letter and gulped as he began to unfold it. Jack inched closer with curiosity and read over Harry's shoulder to see what the letter said.


 

Dear Mr Summers,

 

We are pleased to inform you that you have a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.


Term begins on the 1st of September. We await your owl by no later than the 31st of July.


Yours sincerely,


Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress

 


'I've been accepted.' Harry landed roughly on his bed as the letter slipped from his fingers.

The shock filled his form as the reality of the situation sank in. Hogwarts was always a name, a reference, and a future...now it was a real place. A school where he would learn to wash dishes with a wave of his wand like his mum did, and brew potions to turn someone blue like his dad did, and a place where Harry would be with his own kind.

The magical world awaited him, and his guilt was finally crushed by his swelling excitement.

Jack sat there in silence.

He looked towards the fallen letter and quickly turned away. He mumbled an excuse to Harry when he noticed the sun was beginning to set, and hurried from the house. He rushed passed Erin and Severus without a word. They would be worried, no doubt, and head upstairs to find Harry sitting stunned on his bed with his letter of acceptance to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

What Jack didn't know was that Harry had re-hid the letter before the other boy even left the hallway outside his bedroom. He'd overturned the chessboard and set a scowl on his face. When his parents arrived at his doorway, Harry was half-honest in his words when he told them Jack had to get home and didn't want to play anymore.

Afterwards they had dinner, and Harry was even more distracted than he had been before.


The letter remained on his mind the following day.

Harry didn't know why he hadn't told his parents yet, but he was still letting the shock sink in. Until he accepted the truth, Harry did not want to share it with anyone else. He wasn't surprised when Jack didn't come over that afternoon as they'd planned. Harry knew he should feel bad about it, but he'd been feeling guilty for so long and nothing ever changed either way. He was going to Hogwarts and Jack was not – that was the reality of the situation; Harry told himself over and over whenever he caught himself doubting.

Jack didn't visit the next day either.

Harry, thinking he was missing out on spending some of his last days with Jack, decided to be the first one to interfere. He stole the cordless phone from the kitchen as he was so used to doing, and hid in the small closet near the basement door to make his call. There was no answer at first, until Jack's dad's voice was heard on the other end of the line.

'Hello?'

'Oh, hello Mr Bailey.' Harry said shyly. 'Is Jack there? I really wanted to talk to him.'

'Excuse me?' Gordon sounded confused. 'Did he just leave?'

'No, I haven't seen him all day.' Now Harry was confused. 'Can I talk to him, please?'

'He's not here.' The slow formation of panic was evident in the man's voice. 'Cody, I need to speak with your father right now.'

Harry was annoyed by the interruption, but did as he was told. He left the closet and knocked on the basement door. A moment later, his father appeared and glared down at him; no doubt he hated interruptions as well.

Harry was busy staring fearfully behind his dad at the downward steps of the basement, which he considered the pit of doom after that single incident years ago, so he was unable to speak. Alternatively, he offered the phone to his dad, who accepted it and grunted to let the other person know he was there.

A strange moment soon became one of tense fear. After the phone had been hung up, Harry overheard his parents talking about Jack's dad seeing the boy leave the house early in the morning.

It was now mid-afternoon and no one had seen him.

'He's...missing?' Harry yelped.

'Calm down.' Erin urged him, while her face showed her stubbornness not to have a breakdown herself. 'We will find him. Can you think of any place he might go?'

'Uh...' Harry thought hard about the question because he knew he was the best person to answer it. His mind had been so focused on his letter lately that he had trouble thinking of anything else, so no place really stood out in his mind. 'Not really. I mean, we don't go anywhere other than to school!'

'Severus?' Erin looked at him.

'Remain here with Cody.' Severus took charge of the situation. 'I shall speak with his father and discover any additional locations Jack might have gone to. If we do not find him in either of those locations, I shall use a Locator Charm.'

'Daddy.' Harry trembled and took a step towards his father, terrified of what was going on and if Jack was alright.

'We will find him.' Severus promised and placed a hand on his son's shoulder. As he looked down at the boy, a flicker of something unusual was expressed in the child's emerald eyes. 'Unless there is something you wish to tell us?'

'If you know something that might help, you must tell us.' Erin added.

'I...' Harry looked away and ignored his tears. 'He might have run away because...because of me. We don't want to be separated!' He tried to keep his voice from breaking, thinking it was all his fault. He couldn't and turned to hug his mother while Severus left the house.

The man was convinced there was something else his son could have said, perhaps something helpful, and yet Severus did not pressure the boy. He had no doubt that if it was truly useful than his son would have told him. And the man did not expect Jack to have run away for any reason other than the upcoming moving and upheaval of his familiar life.

Severus saw Gordon nearby and the two men barely said a word as they worked out where to begin looking. Harry was right, though, as the two boys didn't usually stray from their neighbourhood except to go to school. Any other place was only visited under the heavy supervision of their parents. It quickly became a very complicated situation as the two men tried to locate the eleven-year-old boy, but without any idea as to where he could have gone.

Nevertheless, Severus and Gordon searched the area nearby where they lived for just over half an hour. Gordon spoke to a few other residences who often saw Jack walking to and from school, but no one knew anything and none had seen the child all day either. Not even Mrs Connelly, who had spent most of the day tending to her freshly grown roses.

When Judy arrived home from her job at the hospital, Gordon filled her in on the situation and she agreed to stay at their house in case Jack returned. Severus realised a second too late that he had just missed an opportunity. He wanted to use magic right away and not involve the Muggles in the search, even if they were the missing boy's parents. He'd thought they might know more about Jack's whereabouts, but once that was proven incorrect, magic was the first effective method that came to mind.

It was difficult to get away from Gordon, regardless of how subtle and quiet Severus behaved. Until finally he lied by saying he was going to check on Cody, and the moment Gordon became distracted, Severus slipped away and headed in an entirely different direction.

As he raised his wand to use his magic, Severus halted in half-cast actions when a thought occurred to him, causing him to lower his wand.

He turned towards a street he had not considered searching as it was a bit in the distance, and decided he would try looking in one last place before he risked using a bit of magic in such a Muggle surrounding. He had no idea if anyone was peering though their curtains, and a visit from the Ministry of Magic was a headache Severus would much rather avoid.

Walking down a long, familiar street as he soon took a right turn, Severus spotted his destination nearby. He'd only thought of it at all upon sight because three years ago Erin had informed him the two boys had gone to that place near Spinner's End. Severus had lost count how many times he'd witnessed those brats playing in the shabby park when Harry had been staying with that vile man, Simon.

His instincts proved to be correct, as they usually were, when Severus spotted the form of a child sitting in a tree.

It was a very specific tree up a slight slope of a hill, and the sight sent shivers through his spine. Severus strode towards it and looked upwards at Jack, surprised to see the boy seated only a foot above his head. Severus remembered thinking how high up that branch was, when he had been younger. He and Lily had climbed it weekly over the summer between their Hogwarts years, and before.

Jack noticed Severus and instantly hugged the tree in fright, even though the man had not yet spoken a single word to him. The boy's cheeks were covered with dried tear trails mixed with dirt, and he seemed to believe he would be forced down from the tree if he released his tight grip on it.

A silence continued as the gentle breeze moved strands of their hair, until Jack could no longer keep it inside.

'I'm not going anywhere!' Jack declared to Severus, who narrowed his eyes in great ditaste to the tone he was being addressed with. 'I won't go to America. You can't make me.'

'That is a very bold claim, Jack.' Severus said in a falsely calm tone. 'Perhaps we ought to test it?'

'No!' Jack panicked. 'Please, don't! Please.' He started to cry again, all while keeping a vice grip on the tree trunk. 'I didn't-I didn't want to run away, I swear. It's all I could think of to do. I can't let my parents take me away.' He sniffled.

'So you decided to reside in this tree?' Severus raised an eyebrow at the boy's logic. 'Running from what frightens you is what enables those fears to chase you. Precisely how long did you believe this would work?'

'Long enough.' Jack sniffed again and rubbed his nose on his sleeve without unlatching his grip on the tree.

The boy stared down at him, as Severus looked back with a displeased expression. And then, just as he had with Harry less than an hour earlier, Severus spotted something rather odd in the boy's brown eyes. It told him that not all was as it appeared.

Harry implied there had been some sort of disagreement between the two boys, which had likely spurred on the chose course of action that led them to this moment, except now Severus wasn't so sure.

He remembered the brief conversation with Jack's parents, and what they had thought about the situation. Judy voiced her opinion that Jack was simply trying to be difficult, which Severus didn’t even need to consider to know it wasn't true. Gordon believed Jack wasn't willing to give America chance only because Harry wasn't going to be there as well. Severus never imagined he would now so easily disagree with that as well.

'Jack.' Severus said patiently. 'Did it ever cross your mind that the course of action you have chosen would worry Cody? Was it your wish to hurt my son further by running away?'

'No!' Jack growled angrily. 'I never meant to hurt him. But I...' He looked away with shame. 'I had to do this. I know he'll forgive me, because I'll explain to him how I had a really good reason for doing this.'

'Tell me.' Severus said sternly as he tried to keep his patience in check, but it was slipping and he would much rather be brewing a potion in his basement laboratory than arguing with a child in a tree.

'Only if you promise to make sure my parents can't take me with them to America.' Jack said firmly. 'Or I will stay here for as long as I have to! I know Cody got his letter, so I know I have to do this no matter what.'

'I trust you are aware that with a simple flick of my wand, you will shortly find yourself on the ground and experiencing an undeniable amount of remorse?' Severus drawled in an almost bored tone.

Even as he spoke, his actively analysing mind was alerted to the new piece of information regarding his son, which Severus would ponder on later once he had successfully extracted the other brat from his semi-comfortable spot on that blasted branch.

'Fine.' Jack grumbled

He knew he had no choice other than to do as he was told. With a sigh of reluctance, he reached into a pocket of his dark blue hoodie in search of whatever it was he felt was reasoning enough for fleeing his own home to sit himself in a tree for however long he had hoped to do so.

While the boy rummaged in his pocket, Severus's dark gaze fixated on an old scribbling carved onto the trunk near the child. It was the same section of the tree where he and Lily had written on it with sharp sticks. He saw the words there, and his crossed out alteration of it – the painful reminder that “forever” was a word reserved only for fantasies and foolish idealists.

Severus noticed the much newer marking from Jack and Cody, which would have amused him if he'd had just a moment longer to observe it. He focused on the sandy-haired child as Jack lowered an item towards him. It was the last thing Severus ever expected to see in the hand of Jack, and for a moment he could only stare in utter disbelief.

'I got a letter from Hogwarts too.' Jack pointed out the obvious. 'Is that a good enough reason?'

 


 

A darkness had filled the sky high above the Muggle streets by the time Severus tugged Jack back to the boy's home.

The disgruntled child was quiet, and once inside he'd run straight upstairs to his bedroom. He ignored his mother calling him as Jack slammed the door soundly shut. Gordon, shaking his head at the display while still looking relieved, turned towards Severus and prepared to ask questions regarding the outcome of their search, and also offer the man his gratitude. Gordon did not speak, however, when he noticed how annoyed Severus looked – not with Jack, but rather the two adults standing in front of him.

'There is a matter of importance in which we must discuss.' Severus told Gordon. 'It cannot wait until tomorrow, not if we wish to prevent a repeating of today's drama.'

'Alright.' Gordon nodded. 'Come in.' He stepped aside from where he had been standing in the doorway, and Severus entered the house.

The residences sat on a sofa while their serious guest occupied a nearby armchair. Severus was certain he'd heard the unmistakable creak of a door opening upstairs, and then a light pressure on the steps possibly made by a sneaky little boy, but chose to ignore the sounds as he had far more urgent things to give his full attention to.

'Why did our son run away?' Judy did not waste any time and was soon pestering Severus with questions.

She and Gordon had only seen the man a handful of times over the years, and yet she knew if anyone could get answers, it was Severus. 'Where did he go?'

'I located the boy at an aged park near Spinner's End.' Severus answered first. 'The reasoning behind his foolish actions where quite unexpected, and yet befitting to a child who believes he is unable to confide in his parents when they are most required.'

'What are you implying?' Judy took offence to his words.

'I imply nothing more than the plain truth.' Severus stated. 'I am sure you're each aware that my son Cody will be commencing his first year at a specialised boarding school in Scotland this early September? It is not an ordinary school, and only those select few with exceptional talents are accepted to be in attendance.'

'Yes, we know.' Gordon frowned. 'What has that got to do with our son running away? I know he's not happy about the move, but why now?'

'It is the belief of your son that neither of his parents would delay their dramatic change of residence long enough for him to join my son in attending boarding school.' Severus continued when prompted. 'Were you not informed that Jack has been accepted into the same school as Cody?'

'What?' Judy gasped. 'But we never enrolled him anywhere new! What sort of school is it?'

'I intend to answer each of your questions, as you no doubt have quite a number of them, however, first I must ask one of my own.' Severus said with an ounce of dread.

He did not want to sit there with two Muggles and detail the information about Hogwarts; he'd much rather be inside his own home where he could confront his son about the letter Harry had received without letting anyone other than Jack know about it.

'Is there, perhaps, any member of your intimidate family who odd incidences have occurred around?' Severus questioned. 'I am yet to discern any indication that your son is not the first “talented” individual in his family for quite some time. Until now. Jack was mailed his acceptance letter, rather than yourselves receiving an unexpected visit from a member of the school's faculty.'

Judy and Gordon looked at each other and weren't sure what exactly Severus was asking them. They wondered if the man had somehow been terribly misinformed somewhere along the line in regards to the situation and the odd school he wouldn't tell them the name of. Or maybe Jack had fed the man a bunch of crazy lies in effort to remain behind in England?

The two Muggles would have thought that was more likely, except they had never known Severus Snape to be an easy man to fool.

While they questioned his sanity and information, Severus observed their exchanged expression and knew there had to be someone even a little bit magical in the family, because as far as he could tell, Jack was a muggleborn wizard. In his impatience, Severus decided to leave the question unanswered for the time being, and proceeded to explain to Jack parents precisely what sort of place Hogwarts was. He then explained how Jack was scared that if he moved to America with them in July, then he couldn't go to Hogwarts in September because he would have no way of getting there.

The more Severus talked, the more he had to prove his words. It took no less than eight demonstrations of dramatic magic for Gordon to believe him, whereas Judy accepted it without evidence almost instantly, as she recalled several incidences with Jack over the years.

As he continued to speak, Severus saw other truths in what Jack had told him, about how he'd be cast to the sidelines since the moment his older bother had left the household. And so, the man decided to do something he felt was somewhat rash and yet a decision both his son and Erin would be proud of him for.

Severus only prayed it was not a choice he would later regret.

'We cannot delay our travelling plans.' Judy insisted. 'Michael needs us. We're leaving for America on the last day of July; those plans are not changeable.'

'And what about Jack's needs? Are they not as relevant?' Severus said in a low voice that accompanied his glare. He was disgusted that their rebellious adult son had taken the higher position of priority in the minds of Judy and Gordon, over the tender needs of their youngest son.

And Jack was still very much a child.

'If you are unwilling to alter your plans for the sake of your youngest son's education, perhaps Jack may reside with my family until September?' Severus offered and caught the sound of a muffled gasp from the direction of the stairs. 'Erin and I will drop Jack and Cody off at the train station together. Furthermore, we will be able to keep an eye on both of the boys as we shall be residing within the school a short period after the start of term.'

There was a long moment of pause after Severus had made his suggestion.

Gordon and Judy looked at each other and saw the answer in the other's eyes, though neither of them wanted to be the one who voiced it aloud. Eventually, Gordon sighed and turned to stare at Severus, slowly nodding his head in agreement to the offered solution.

'Very well.' Severus rose from his seat. 'You may have Jack move his belongings to our spare bedroom at your earliest convenience.' He prepared to leave, but was hindered by the sound of hurried footsteps on the stairs. Severus, used to the action from his son, reacted in time to brace himself for the child jumped at him and hugging his middle tightly.

'Thank you.' Jack gasped and stared up at him with happy, though tearful, brown eyes.

Severus said nothing as he waited for Jack to release him and moved to return to his own house where Erin and Harry were no doubt still worrying about what had happened, and if Jack had even been found yet.

-- 

As he stepped through the door of his own house, Severus grunted when his son plunged his face against his father and sniffled.

Erin rose from a chair nearby with an expression if mixed concern and relief.

'Jack was returned home safely.' Severus told them and seized his son by the shoulders, though not harshly. 'And you, young man, have quite some explaining to do!'

'What did I do?' Harry yelped in shock, having expected a hug not an accusation of some sort.

'You know exactly well what you did.' Severus growled. 'Or rather, what you neglected to mention. I wish to see it. Now!'

'Severus?' Erin frowned as Harry spun around and fled the room.

She didn't like being kept out of the loop of things, so she waited for their son to return. And when he did, the boy clutched a letter in his hand that looked like it had been stomped on a few times as though it was food for the floorboards.

Severus held out his hand and snatched the letter when it was placed on his palm. It was opened, he discovered with further annoyance, and reached inside to check the letter. He had expected it, and yet the emotions that came with seeing his son's acceptance letter to Hogwarts was rather startling.

Erin marched forward and reached the take the letter from him, grumbling when she tugged it but his firm grip did not allow her to steal the item. She exhaled with irritation and waited for Severus to pass it to her while he confronted their thoroughly guilty-looking son.

'I'm sorry!' Harry blurted out quicker than Severus could raise his eyebrow. 'I wanted to tell you, really I did! I thought if I hid it, then it would go away. I-I was scared.' He felt ashamed and awful inside.

He hadn't expected his dad to look the way he did. Harry had guessed his parents would be angry he hadn't told them about his letter, but his dad looked disappointed and his mother seemed really sad. He didn't understand why, and neither was explaining away his confusion.

'Oh, Cody.' Erin sighed and sank into a nearby kitchen chair. 'We wanted to share this with you. We've waited for so long, and your father was worried when it didn't arrive. We considered contacting Hogwarts soon if you did not receive your letter. And now, you've had it all this time?'

'I'm really sorry.' Harry's voice was very quiet as he tried not to feel too upset, but it was hard to do when his mother used the voice that always made him feel like he'd let her down somehow.

It was the worse feeling in the world.

Anxious, he looked up at his dad and hurriedly turned away again. He expected a lecture, a bit of shouting even, or just plain annoyance. Harry stifled a sob when his father turned and stormed out of the room.

Erin was at his side and comforting Harry, but the boy barely even noticed. All he knew was he had done something wrong and his dad had left. He'd gone upstairs and a door soundly closed. Harry could not remember it happening before, but he just knew somehow his selfish little secret had upset his father in a way anger could not erase.

'I'll go talk to him.' Erin exhaled and rolled her eyes, still holding the letter in her hand.

'No.' Harry boldly decided. 'I will.' He gulped and wished he had kept his mouth shut.

It was too late and he had said it, so the boy squared his shoulders and made his way for the stairs. Counting each step the way he used to count how far away a thunderstorm was, Harry's mind swam with things he should say and what the limit was for apologising to his father.

He raised his hand and knocked on the study door, remembering the first time his dad had lifted him up and sat him on the desk inside. He'd told him about the plants they were going to grow in the garden and what magical properties they had. His fond childhood memory was squashed as Harry pushed open the door and peered into the room.

'Daddy?'

Severus sat in the chair, which was positioned so his back was entirely to the door and he looked straight ahead outside the window, though it reflected onto the dark nightfall outside. He did not move to indicate he knew Harry had entered his office without his spoken permission.

'I'm really, really sorry.' Harry said again.

'You are forgiven.'

'Did I make you mad?' Harry took a careful step closer. 'Or are you disappointed?'

There was no response, so he hung his head and squeezed his eyes shut.

'I wish I'd told you. I wanted to. I didn't know what to do, and I wanted to ask you, but...I was stupid.' He frowned at himself. 'I'm a bad son.'

It was his final words that caused a quick reaction. Severus spun around in his chair and jerked upright onto his feet. Before Harry could properly risk looking upwards at his fast approaching father, he'd felt the cuff to the back of his head and exclaimed accordingly.

'When a son receives his Hogwarts letter for the first time, it is a moment of celebration and accomplishment.' Severus said firmly. 'For years we awaited the arrival of yours, knowing it would come because there is not even an ounce of doubt you are a wizard. Whilst hiding the letter from us, you robbed this family of that moment we intended to share. Your behaviour in the past few weeks has differed, even amidst the unfortunate situation regarding Jack, and perhaps I should have pressed the matter further. I did not, and that is a regret I am forced to bear. If I had sought you out in your moment of need, would you have informed me of the letter?'

Harry, despite his increased shame and hurt, tried to answer the question honestly. Rubbing the back of his head, he looked at his father and nodded guiltily. He felt, if his dad had come into his room rather than his mother and asked if there was something they needed to talk about, Harry would have told his dad everything.

'Let this be a lesson we shall never forget.' Severus nodded and gestured to a nearby chair. 'Sit. There is something I have to tell you regarding Jack.'

Harry wanted to know if Jack was in trouble or something had happened, but he stood staring at his father with a trembling lip. The man hugged him less and less as he got older, thinking Harry was outgrowing the urge to cuddle him constantly. And with Erin to provide as much motherly affection as the boy needed, Harry wondered if his father forgot how needed he was as well.

'Daddy?' Harry asked nervously. 'Is going to Hogwarts a good thing? Will I still get to see you much?'

'You will not regret attending Hogwarts, son.' Severus answered. 'Your mother and I will always be there when you need us, regardless of where you may be.'

He pulled his son into a hug, feeling the boy cling to him as though it was what he had wanted to do for many days.

And once they'd parted, Severus began to explain to the boy about Jack receiving a letter as well, but Severus didn't get the chance to speak any further. Harry exploded with emotions and suddenly gained boundless energy in his over-excitement to the idea of Jack going to Hogwarts with him.

As Severus waited patiently for the boy to calm long enough to hear the rest of the details, Severus thought about how small Cody had once been. And in process of thinking of the journey they'd travelled together from strangers to family, Severus tried to comprehend that his little boy was now at the age to attend Hogwarts.

And Jack would be going with him.

He and Lily were best friends before going to Hogwarts as well, and he had never shared with anyone the adventures they had gotten into whilst there. It was nothing to rival the Marauder's reckless pranks, but the two unlikely friends had a lot of fun in their earlier years.

Now it would be Jack and Harry's turn. Severus was glad he would be there to prevent most of the chaos that was sure to follow when those two boys adapted to the castle of magic and mystery. They'd gone through a lot to become family, Harry and Severus had, and now after all those years, it was time to take the ultimate step: Hogwarts.

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Surprise! Yes, I had this planned since I created Jack. ;) It was not easy keeping it a secret until now, though I added some hints of Jack's magic in previous chapters.

Thoughts? Please review.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2339