The Forgotten Child by watercrystals
Summary: Voldemort is gone and Harry's relatives had no desire to keep Harry for long, so he was placed into an orphanage until he was adopted by a family. But when they pass away a few years later, he is placed into the custody of another who had just moved to Spinner's End. That is when Severus first saw the boy without even knowing who he was. The little boy, seven years old, who was always forgotten, uncared for and treated like filth. Severus watches this boy and sees a reflection of his own childhood. And when they meet, Severus vows to offer kindness where no one else does, in the form of a simple piece of food the boy lacked or a warm blanket for the cold days ahead. And when things get worst, he even offers shelter to the child the world had forgotten and cast aside.
The boy Severus now wants to save.
Categories: Healer Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Filch, Fred George, Ginny, McGonagall, Original Character, Other, Pomfrey, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic, Runaway, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 1st summer before Hogwarts
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: No Word count: 156318 Read: 209110 Published: 16 Oct 2010 Updated: 07 Sep 2013
King's Cross Station by watercrystals

Everyone slept in the next day, even Severus.

As they sat down for a late breakfast of cereal and toast, Earnest the cat tried to play a game of chase with Frogabook underneath the table, but the over-large frog ignored him.

'You'll each need to get to work on your name tags.' Erin reminded the boys. 'It says so in your letter that it is recommended, and therefore I think you should get it out of the way.'

'But we still have to pack!' Jack whined.

'You haven't packed yet?' Erin's eyes widened as though this was a huge bump in their schedule.

'We did!' Harry insisted. 'But then dad kept making us read books, and we had to write apology letters a lot. Then I wanted to wear something in my trunk. I'm sorry, mum.' He fidgeted. 'We kept unpacking again.'

'Well, you will each be packing it all up tonight.' Erin said firmly. 'No exceptions. And I will be checking! Now off you two go. You've got to name tag almost every item you're taking with you other than your wand.'

'Even our cauldrons?' Jack gasped.

'Yes, young man.' Erin said. 'Even that. We wouldn't want anything to get mixed up now, would we?'

'How are we supposed to write our name on our cauldrons?' Harry asked.

'Ask your father.' Erin waved her hand dismissively.

'She says that every time she doesn't know something.' Jack whispered to Harry as they went upstairs towards their rooms. 'And your dad seems to know everything!'

'Yeah.' Harry rolled his eyes. 'A bit too much, if you ask me.'

Deciding to talk while they labelled their belongings, Jack dragged his trunk into Harry's room so they could sit on the floor together. His trunk had things poking out of it and everything within looked to have been thrown inside and left there. Harry's wasn't much neater.

'This is going to take all day!' Jack complained. 'If only we'd had a better look in the book shop. We could have tried to make things name themselves, or learn some wicked self-packing spell.'

'Dad would catch us before we even tried.' Harry huffed. 'If I didn't know better, I'd say he's always watching us and waiting for something to happen.'

'I'd say you're right.' Jack nodded and reached for his Charms textbook.

Instead of writing his name on it, however, he began flipping through the pages in search of a spell to speed along the process. Finding none after a short time, and being too confused to read it all when it made little sense to him, Jack dropped it back on the pile of things inside his trunk.

And it almost did take them all day.

Or rather, all morning.

Jack and Harry spent more time talking about what they thought Hogwarts would be like and which house they might get sorted into, than they did writing their names on books, robes, and shampoo bottles. When Erin brought in a plate of grilled tomato and cheese sandwiches, they were almost finished and had begun shoving everything back into their trunks.

'I do hope you plan on packing soon.' She said, placing the plate on the closed lid of Harry's wooden toybox, which sat at the end of his bed.

'Huh?' Jack looked at her and then his trunk. 'We are packing.'

At first Erin seemed to think they were joking, except both boys had kept a straight face and she realised how little eleven-year-old boys knew about properly packing for attending boarding school.

'How do you expect to find anything?' Erin sighed, looking from one messy trunk to the next. 'And all of your clothes are going to get wrinkled. Fold them up and place them in a pile. Sort your books and writing materials as well, and then everything else goes into another pile.' She instructed.

'Don't you know a spell that can do that?' Jack grumbled.

'Jack Bailey!' Erin scolded. 'You cannot rely on magic to do everything for you. If you just whipped out your wand for every little task, what will you do if you are suddenly left without? No, you will use your own two hands. Come on, this should have been done weeks ago.'

And so the boys started sorting their clothes, books, quills and ink, toiletries, and every other item they intended to take with them. Once they were finished, Erin returned to the room and assessed their work. Content with the arrangements, she began packing their trunks for them. Folding the clothes more properly, she placed them on one side and then added the other items. Not everything fit in their trunk, but the boy's eyes were wide in shock as they watched her work.

'That's got to be some sort of magic!' Jack gasped. 'None of that stuff fit before!'

'There's just more room when it's organised and your clothes are folded.' Erin said. 'Throwing everything into your trunk is no way to pack.'

'Wow.' Harry appreciated when he easily shut his trunk (rather than sit on it to close it as he had done before), and then opened it again to see how neat everything looked. It didn't seem like the same trunk to him, and looking over at Jack he knew his best friend felt the same way about his own.

'Alright.' Erin stood and retrieved the empty plate. 'Now don't get anything out unless you really need it. I will be checking them again before we leave for the station, so make sure you both keep them the way they are now.'

She was pleased to notice that neither boy looked like they would be touching anything inside their trunks until they got to Hogwarts. If it kept up, Erin wouldn't have to worry about them losing things in amongst a mass of sweaters and quills.

'Can we go play outside now?' Harry asked. 'Please?'

'Of course.' Erin smiled. 'I'll call you when dinner is ready.'

'Thanks!' Harry grinned and jumped up.

He and Jack hurried from the room and headed straight for the back door, with Earnest and Frogabook following closely behind them.

Erin remained in Harry's bedroom for a moment longer. She looked to the wall where she had hung Harry's family tree three years ago, after the boys had gone into the basement and Harry feared his father hated him for it. It was a sign of reassurance to Harry, and to Erin, but now it made her sad.

They had a comfortable little family and she did not want anything to change.

She liked picking the boys up from school nearby and hearing about their day as they walked home. She enjoyed tucking her son into bed each night and giving him a cuddle by the fire on warm mornings before breakfast. Erin liked to watch her son doing the gardening he was so proud of, or run around the backyard with his bright smile. She even loved sitting down each night to share dinner with Harry, watching as he picked at his peas and yawned into his hand when he got tired.

At Hogwarts, Erin did not think any of those things would continue. It was a boarding school for magic. A place where Harry would have his own dormitory far from her reach, where he would get himself up in the morning and share his meals with his house-mates. Harry would be putting himself to bed, and wandering the school grounds with the new friends she knew he would make. He would be busy with his school work and classes, and most of his free time she was certain her son would want to spend with his friends and classmates.

Harry would have less time for her, and Erin felt glad he was becoming independent and would have so many more opportunities open to him, but she would miss her little boy. Sure, she would still see him from time to time, though he was no longer going to be her small son anymore.

Harry was growing up and would be facing new challenges, and Erin knew she had to accept that. It was going to be hard, and deep down she wondered if she could do it. But her determination had never let her down before, so Erin would adapt as any mother had to when their child progressed to a new stage in their life.

She had seen the looks Severus had given Harry that morning over breakfast and knew he was probably thinking similar things, and somehow Erin wondered if it was going to be harder for him than it would be for her. She wasn't sure why, yet Erin felt confident she was ready to watch her son mature, whereas Severus had always thought of the child as his special little boy. She had no confirmation of this, as Severus was a very private person, and even so, Erin had a strong feeling she was right.

--

In mid-morning on the very last day of August, a witch apparated inside an alley within Spinner's End. She walked discreetly towards the house on the end and knocked loudly on the door.

Moments passed, and no one answered.

'It appears to be true.' She said. 'Severus no longer lives here. Unless he's out?'

Somehow she did not think so.

Lifting a piece of parchment from her pocket, the witch looked it over and decided to pay a visit to the address she had been given. It wasn't too far away, so she walked a few blocks to the house and looked it over with an analytical stare.

'Surely this is a mistake?' The woman could not believe that Severus Snape would live in such a neighbourhood, and so in the open.

Frowning, as she checked the address once more, the witch sighed and decided there was only one way to be sure. She opened the iron gate and crossed the short patch of grass to reach the front door. Knocking loudly, she took one step back to wait for someone to answer it.

And Minerva McGonagall was utterly stunned with what happened next.

'I'll get it!' A boy's voice called out, but it was a woman who answered the door.

Minerva took in her appearance while her mind convinced her she had indeed been given the wrong home address of Severus Snape. The woman had blonde hair reaching her shoulders, which was a bit untamed, and her eyes showed this kind lady could be very stubborn and determined when needed. She was dressed in casual muggle attire, yet with a light cloak over her shoulders, which only confused Minerva further.

'Yes?' Erin asked, wondering who the woman was.

'Are you a witch?' Jack emerged at her side, looking at the pointed hat on Minerva's head and her overall not-so-muggle appearance.

'Jack!' Erin admonished.

'Sorry.' He blushed without looking very sorry at all.

'Yes, I am.' Minerva answered. 'Is this the residence of Severus Snape?'

'It is.' Erin nodded.

'But...?' Minerva felt she was going to go into shock, or having a heart attack.

This could not be where he lived!

'Severus!' Erin called over her shoulder. 'Jack, go and find your cat. How on Earth are you going to take him to Hogwarts if you can't even keep him in one room without losing him?'

Jack made a sound of annoyance and walked away, just as Harry joined the pair with Frogabook in his arms.

'Mum.' Harry said, glancing at their company shyly before he spoke. 'Dad said he'll be here in a minute. He's trying to find one of his flasks. Hello.' He added politely to Minerva.

'Hello.' She returned. 'I must say, that is an exceptionally large frog.' She readjusted her glasses at the sight.

'Thanks.' Harry took it as a compliment. 'I Transfigured him myself. I didn't mean to, of course. He used to be a book.'

'Cody.' Erin placed a hand on his shoulder. 'It might not be wise to tell a complete stranger this. No offence.' She added to the woman. 'How do you know Severus?'

'None taken.' McGonagall said, still rather dazed. 'Your son must be very talented, to perform such an accurate transfiguration at his age. I myself am the Transfiguration Professor at Hogwarts.'

'Oh, wow!' Harry gasped. 'You teach Transfiguration?' He grinned. 'Mum, a Hogwarts teacher is on OUR doorstep!'

'Yes, I happened to notice that myself, Cody.' Erin sighed. 'Will you tell your father he has company? I swear, he's going to end up with a few broken flasks if he doesn't leave those potions alone for five minutes! Oh, never mind. I'll tell him myself.' She said and left Harry at the doorstep, considering he was safe with a Hogwarts Professor who looked exactly that.

'I'm going to Hogwarts tomorrow.' Harry said to Minerva. 'Um, would you like to come in?' He tried to be polite.

'If I may.' Minerva nodded and entered the house, looking around with interest.

She followed the boy to the living room, where Jack was seated upside-down on the sofa and tried to read his Potions textbook from where it sat on the floor.

'Jack, Jack!' Harry said with excitement. 'She's a Hogwarts Professor. She teaches Transfiguration. What's your name?' He asked her.

'Minerva McGonagall.' She answered, feeling rather uncomfortable and didn't know if she should stand in the middle of the living room or pick an armchair.

Her mind was buzzing with her disbelief. She had not expected to find Severus Snape living in such a house, let alone with a wife and two sons! She was tempted to choose a seat, if only to ensure she did not pass out from the one scenario she had never expected to be faced with when she decided to personally stop by to pay Severus a visit.

'Really?' Jack flipped himself upright when Harry told him who their guest was. 'It's nice to meet you, Ma'am. Your name is on our letters too, so you're the Headmistress as well! Wow, someone from Hogwarts is in this house? Wait, why?'

'I am here to see Severus Snape.' Minerva repeated.

'And so you shall.' Severus spoke as he entered the room, casting a glare in the direction of Erin, who appeared to be ignoring him. 'And what brings you here, Minerva?'

'Your renewed employment.' Minerva told him.

'Come on, boys.' Erin ushered the children from the room against their complaints. 'This is not something you need to be eavesdropping on.'

Severus and Minerva sat across each other near the fireplace and spoke about the upcoming school term. Hogwarts had never had an employed tutor before, therefore a few new guidelines had been in place for Severus take on the position, all in which he needed to be informed of.

'Strange.' Minerva said after a moment of silence, having finished the tea offered to her by Erin. 'I have checked the list twice, as I do each year, yet I do not recall seeing anyone with the surname “Snape”, listed. What are your boys names?'

'Only one of them is mine.' Severus corrected. 'Cody Summers, as he goes by, after his mother. He is the one with the dark hair.'

'And green eyes.' Minerva said softly. 'I trust you have heard the news? Harry Potter is still missing.'

'I am aware.' Severus frowned. 'It is none of my concern.'

'Oh, Severus.' Minerva said sadly. 'But who is the other child?'

'Jack Bailey. He lives nearby and is a friend of my son's. He shall be attending Hogwarts as well.'

'And your wife, she will be joining you at Hogwarts?'

Severus was glad he had not accepted any of Erin's tea, for he would have dropped the hot liquid on his lap at that moment.

'I would never wed such a woman.' He said, turning to frown at Erin who was cutting slices of cake in the kitchen.

Despite Minerva's expression of utter confusion, he said nothing else. She took the hint and understood as it wasn't really any of her business, and hastily changed the subject.

They talked for over an hour, until there was nothing left to discuss.

Minerva rose from the seat and said goodbye to everyone in turn. As suddenly and quickly as she had arrived, the Headmistress soon departed. After an hour of everyone returning to the tasks they had been doing before her arrival, it was as though she hadn't been there at all.

 


 

'Time for bed, Cody.' Erin said later that night. 'We have to be at the station early, so you need to get your rest.'

'Okay.' Harry sighed and climbed into bed. 'I'm really nervous, mum.'

'I know, sweetheart.' Erin smoothed his sheets and leaned to give his forehead a kiss. 'It's a big change. I would be surprised if you weren't nervous. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun once you get used it.'

'I hope so.' Harry sighed. 'Goodnight, mum.'

'Sweet dreams.' Erin brushed some hair from his face and walked to the doorway.

She turned off the light and left the door ajar. Soon the hallway outside his room was dark as well, and Harry leaned against his pillow as he tried to stop thinking about the huge day tomorrow. Waiting a few more minutes, he pulled a piece of blue material from under his pillow and threw back his covers.

Trying not to wake Frogabook (who was once again sleeping in his dog bed in the corner), or anyone else in the house, Harry crouched in front of his trunk and used the moonlight to find the section he planned to hide his blanket.

Inhaling the scent of honey that lingered even after three years, Harry shoved it into his trunk and never intended to tell a soul of its existence. He remembered when he'd first gotten it. Simon had locked him outside the house because Harry said he didn't like the way it smelled like tobacco and beer.

That night had been so cold and scary, but Severus had given him something to eat and the blanket to keep him warm. It continued to be a source of comfort for Harry, and over the years he had done everything he could to protect it. He could never throw it away, and the blanket was always close by.

And he could not bear to go to Hogwarts without it.

With the blue blanket, which had once been mended after its rip at the hands of an enraged Simon, safety tucked away in his trunk, Harry returned to bed. For years he had waited and prepared, and tomorrow it was finally going to happen. And Jack was going too. Hogwarts. He's heard the name so many times over the years, and the nearer this night approached, the more meaning and reality was added to the title of the magical school.

Harry couldn't sleep.

He rolled over, fidgeted, and squeezed his eyes shut, but nothing worked.

An hour passed by and Harry barely noticed. He thought it was just nervousness and excitement, but Harry realised after such a length of time of restlessness, that it was much more. He was scared. No, Harry was completely terrified.

And, unable to handle it, he tossed back his covers for a second time and felt his way out of the room.

It was strange how he had lived in the house for three years and yet hadn't seen his parent's rooms more than a couple of times. Erin left hers open, but he had no use for it. And his dad alternated between having it closed, or locked with numerous charms and hexes. Hoping tonight was not one of those guarded moments, Harry gripped the doorknob of his father's room and kept his hands there, silently counting to ten seconds. He wasn't sure why, but his dad thought it was dangerous to just shove him awake like Harry often did to his mother.

So, in the case Harry might need his father during the night, he had to hold the doorknob until he heard a clicking sound. Severus had some sort of wards to wake him and Harry could only enter the room once the man was awake. Erin thought it was ridiculous and extreme, and as usual, Severus didn't heed her complains about what he did any notice.

Hearing the clicking, Harry gasped and shoved the door open.

A dim light was coming from beside the bed where Severus had lit a candle. The man sat upright with his hair a bit tangled-looking, and his expression showed how soon he had been woken.

'What is it, Cody?' Severus grumbled.

'Sorry.' Harry stepped into the room and shut the door behind him.

He bit his lip and hesitated, then ran to the bed and jumped onto it. 'I couldn't sleep.' He told his dad, who only seemed to use one half of the bed despite its large size. Harry reckoned everyone in the house that night could fit on the bed, but knew it would never happen if his father had any say about it.

'You are nervous about tomorrow?' Severus guessed.

'Yes.' Harry sat on the bed beside his dad. 'I...dad, I'm really scared.' He admitted and inched closer, longing for the security his father always provided. 'What if I'm not in Slytherin like you were? Or what if I'm not any good at magic? What if Jack finds better friends than me and I don't find any?'

'Your mother told you it is of no importance which house you are sorted into, because the hat will only ever place you were you belong.' Severus said and paused to yawn. 'Worrying yourself over something that may or may not happen is only going to cost you sleep. You are an exceptional young man, and I have full confidence in your ability to not only excel in your classes, but make numerous friends as well. You are allowing your anxiety to cloud your mind. You need to discipline your mind, so you can face each new situation with confidence and determination, rather than fear of what may not even come to pass.'

'I don't know how to do that.' Harry said. 'I can't stop thinking of all the bad things that could happen tomorrow.'

'Perhaps you ought to be thinking of the good ones instead?' Severus suggested. 'Your mind is like a muscle. You need to give it a purpose for it to be put to any use. Our arms do not move on their own; we dictate their capability and intention. Your brain is very similar.'

'Oh.' Harry said as he slid under the covers and yawned. 'I think I get it now.' He said sleepily, his head resting on a spare pillow his father never seemed to use. 'I just...focus my brain, and...' His voice faded as his eyes began to close.

Severus glared at the boy with irritation and wanted to snap at him to return to his own bed. But, truth be told, he did not mind too terribly and his own tiredness was far more important than sharing his bed with his son for the final night at home.

Except, now he was the one unable to sleep. Severus blew out the candle and lay back down, staring into the blackness as he remembered earlier that night.

Because they had removed the last of the food from their house that afternoon, Erin had decided they would all go out to a restaurant for dinner rather than ordering food for the one night and still having to wash up. It had been a short and simple event, with a bit of general chatter and a nice enough meal. Severus thought about it because he realised how differently everything was going to change.

Erin remained optimistic that she would see Harry many times throughout the year and spend as much time as she could with the boy, but she had not seen Hogwarts yet. Severus knew the appeal of the magical school, especially to children. Even those from loving families they were extremely close to had chosen numerous times to remain at the school over the holidays if they had a good enough reason.

The fact he and Erin would be residing at Hogwarts as well was the only comfort he could now find in the situation.

Severus had been spending as much time with his son in the last few days as he could. More time than he had in at least a year, perhaps. Cody was special to him, and not just in a way every child should be to their parents, but because Severus had saved him. He had seen the wrong in the child's life and vowed to be there when he was needed. Literally, he had saved the boy's life in more ways than one. Cody became family, and Severus did not regret the decision he made to bring the boy into his home, and then adopt him as his son.

To his unsettling surprise, as Severus lay awake beside his sleeping eleven-year-old child, he realised a large amount of things he was so used to and had somehow taken for granted. He often complained when Harry had become clingy and followed him around the house, but now the boy was going to Hogwarts and all of it would stop.

A lot was being left behind tomorrow - not just a house and familiar surroundings, but an entire set of routines and habits that would be drastically changed in a single day.

--

Severus awoke the following morning to realise he had fallen asleep later than he'd planned, but still soon enough to get a decent amount of rest.

Glancing at the time, he woke his son and sent the boy to his room to dress.

Severus changed into his usual attire and hoped the people at Hogsmeade who he and Erin will be staying with for the first week would allow him the chance to brew something, because his nerves were going to be as high as Harry's when it came time for the sorting.

And Severus would not be there to witness it.

The family were in a rush of preparations that they barely had time to eat their breakfast, which were sandwiches prepared the day before. By eight-thirty, the two boys were dragging their animal's cages towards Erin's car while the adults lugged the trunks. Erin was pleased with how easily the trunks both fit into the back of her car, and the cages had enough room in the back-seat with the boys without them being squished.

Severus said nothing, as he discreetly concealed his wand and moved to stare at the passenger door.

'Get in!' Erin told him from the driver's seat.

The boys were already chatting in the back about how they would be riding a train, which was something they had not done in a very long time.

Severus had barely agreed to travel with them. He had wanted to apparate and meet them at the train station, but Erin would not allow it. She threatened to tell the Hogwarts staff about certain things he was appalled she even knew about, and it worked better than any charm.

The drive to the station was quiet in the front, but loud in the back as the boys talked away their nerves and allowed their excitement to shine through. When they arrived at King's Cross Station, however, they fell silent again.

The boys pushed their trolleys with the trunk and pet cages pass platforms and through crowds of muggles. Erin looked nervous as well, as they all wondered how a magical train could be at the station somewhere. Severus led the way with long, purposeful strides until they arrived at the barrier between platforms nine and ten.

The boys grasped the concept of passing through easily enough, but Erin was convinced it was a trick.

'Just run at the wall?' Erin glared. 'Are you mad? That thing is as solid as anything! I am not going to be running at any walls in public. There has got to be another way onto the platform.'

'Woman, you are trying my patience!' Severus growled. 'How much longer are we going to dawdle? It is already nearly ten-thirty.'

'Severus, don't take that tone with me!' She hissed while the boys stood anxiously behind them. 'You just told me I have to run into a brick wall to get onto a magical platform where a train is somehow concealed there. How is that possible?'

'Magic, Erin.' Severus said bitterly. 'Cody.' He turned to his son. 'We haven't got all day. You may go first.'

Harry gulped and trusted his dad with his life, but not his dignity.

What if his mum was right and the wall was exactly that? He didn't want to look scared in front of his dad, and he hated it when they argued like that because he could never tell if it was just them being stubborn or something else.

'Okay.' He said and inhaled a long breath.

Steering his trolley until he was facing the tall wall of bricks, Harry looked at his father for encouragement and then gave his trolley a push. He made it one step before he was interrupted by a woman's voice.

'Packed with Muggles, of course.' She said and came to a stop near them with a group of red-haired children of various ages in tow. It was Molly Weasley, and she was rather shocked to see Severus standing there with a wary blonde woman and two boys.

'Severus Snape, is that you?' She gasped.

'I certainly hope so.' Severus muttered.

'Oh, my goodness!' Molly said. 'It's been so long. You have a lovely family.' She smiled at the boys.

Jack felt a bit uncomfortable and looked away, while Harry blushed and offered her a shy smile. His shyness vanished quickly when he saw someone familiar.

'Oh, hi Ginny.' He said.

'Hello, Cody.' Ginny said quietly and waved. 'I met him when we were buying my books.' She explained to her mother.

'That's nice, dear.' Molly said and glanced at the time. 'Well, we best be off. After you.'

'Actually,' Severus said and glanced at Erin. 'Go ahead. I insist.'

'Well, okay...' Molly seemed unsure, but decided to take his suggestion.

She sent her children through and then went with Ginny, all in the space of several minutes. Erin's eyes were wide with shock to the entire display.

'Cody, go ahead.' Erin exhaled. 'I'll be right behind you.'

'Okay.' Harry nodded and felt confident now he had seen the Weasley's pass through the barrier, though he wondered what the twins had been whispering about when they'd seen his dad.

He gripped his trolley again and pushed it forward as he increases his speed and, despite knowing he would pass though, flinched when he would otherwise have made contact with the wall.

The sight of the train was the first thing he saw when he opened his eyes, and it was a truly stunning sight.

Harry wandered a little to get a better view, and as he stepped away from his trolley for just a moment, a boy had been walking towards him and the two bumped into each other,

'Watch it!' Snapped the boy, who looked to be Harry's age. He had dark hair like Harry, but his eyes were deep brown and glared at him with obvious annoyance.

'Sorry.' Harry said politely.

'So you should be.' The boy frowned. 'Walking into people like that. Can't you see where you're going?'

'You walked into me too.' Harry replied, getting annoyed by the rude boy. 'Why didn't you stop?'

'Why should I?'

'Logan.' Said a tall witch with darker hair than his. 'Play nicely.'

'He bumped into me, mother.' The boy, Logan, told her.

'There is no need to be rude about it.' She gave Harry a judging look and glanced once at Severus, who soon joined his son's side, with Erin and Jack catching up. 'Come on.' She said to Logan. 'Let's go find your father.'

With her and the rude boy gone, Harry and Jack were able to focus more on the marvellous scarlet train in front of them, which issued a little steam and had “Hogwarts Express” written on it.

'Whoa.' Jack stared.

'Yeah.' Harry breathed.

They didn't have long to stare, however, as Severus was soon lifting their luggage onto the train, and Erin pulled the boys aside to remind them of all the things the boys wished she wouldn't say in public.

'And don't forget to wash your hair regularly with those new shampoos.' Erin was saying. 'I don't know what sort of supplies Hogwarts give, such as soap or towels, so I packed you both a few extra just in case.'

Harry didn't even complain, and nodded his head sadly as he knew in mere minutes he was going to be separated from his parents. He wanted to say something, but nothing came to mind, other than his desire to plead with them to get on the train with him.

'Cody.' Erin said as she placed her hands on his shoulders. 'There is something important I want to tell you, before you go.' She said. 'Your father as well, but I will speak for him.' She glanced at Severus and knew he did not want to be saying such advice where others may overhear him.

Erin didn't understand why, but she was under the impression it had very little to do with his pride, for once.

'Your father wants to you be yourself.' Erin told him. 'Don't do anything if you think it's not who you are. What I mean is, don't think you have to do things to impress someone else or if it goes against what you think is right.' She glanced sideways at Severus and then whispered to their son.

'No matter what you might hear about Harry Potter, never forget who you are. You're Cody Summers, no one else. Do you understand me? Be true to yourself and you'll be just fine. People need to like you for who you are, not for someone you're trying to be.'

'Okay.' Harry said, thinking it wasn't too hard to be himself, though the comment about Harry Potter had an impact on him.

He had been worried about that.

'What if I'm not in the house you want me to be in?' Harry worried. 'Dad was in Slytherin...'

'Where you're sorted does not matter to us.' Erin said firmly, while Severus withheld a grunt of disagreement. Any house was fine for him too, so long as it wasn't Gryffindor, otherwise he would have to take a few days to get his head around it.

But Erin's words were still, in a way, true.

'Remember, everyone has a story.' Erin added and brushed some hair from his face with her hand. 'Sometimes you might meet someone who is rude or distant, but they may have a very good reason for it. I'm not saying they all will, but never is anything just as it appears, and that means people too. Never forget what it was like for you.'

She'd never said it aloud, but Harry knew she meant when he had thought himself to be invisible. When he had been ignored and disliked, and sometimes it made him react or behave in ways to protect himself or distance himself from others. He thought back to the boy he'd bumped into a moment ago, and wondered if he had a story or was just an annoying git.

A whistle was heard to let everyone on the platform know there were five minutes remaining, and the sound startled Erin.

She tried to be calm, but soon flung her arms around Harry and held him close. A whole week may not seem as long to most, while other children had to wait until the holidays to be reunited with their family, yet it would be the longest Harry and Erin had been apart since they'd lost each other so many years ago. Harry clung to her and tried to pretend she wasn't crying.

When they parted, and Erin gave Jack a hug as well, Harry hurried to his father to hug him tightly.

'I'm going to miss you so much, dad.' Harry sniffled.

He had been away from his mother before, though he was still sad and worried by it, but never had he been away from his father for any length of time exceeding twelve hours. He was terrified and never wanted to let go, as tears streamed down his cheeks and he hugged for all he could, trying to ignore the fact his train would be leaving in two minutes.

'You will be fine, Cody.' Severus said, wrapping his arms around his son as well, cuddling him close in a rare show of unguarded affection. He wished he could say it was only for Harry's benefit. 'It is only for one week. Behave yourself and do remember to write.'

'I will try.' Harry sniffled and looked up when the train whistled again. 'I don't want to go!'

'You must.' Severus released his son and nudged him towards the train. 'We will be seeing you again soon enough.'

'Come on.' Jack helped, grabbing Harry's wrist to pull him towards the train, which was preparing to leave the station any minute.

'I love you mum, and dad.' Harry gulped and struggled to force himself onto the train. He hurried into an empty compartment and hung out the window. 'Bye!' He waved while Jack did so as well through the glass.

'Bye, sweetheart!' Erin waved, her eyes filled with tears as she tried to smile in encouragement.

'We love you, Harry.' Severus said as he waved as well, making sure to reserve the special name for the moment the train whistled again so no one else would hear it.

Harry sank onto his seat as the train whistled one last time and the doors began to close.

He sat there, feeling like a nervous wreck of sadness and fears, as he waved his heart out to his parents. Jack waved as well, but was more interested in the departing train. With a lurch of motion, the train moved forward and Harry continued to wave until his parents were gone from his sight.

He wanted to curl up on the seat and cry, but he couldn't. Not when others were walking passed the compartment door and might see him, not with Jack seated across from him looking just as nervous, and most certainly not when they were finally on their way to Hogwarts.

'It's really happening.' Jack seemed to only be coming into terms with it now. 'After all this time we thought you'd be leaving and going to Hogwarts without me, now we're both going!' He grinned.

'I know.' Harry felt his excitement begin to rise. 'This is great! We're going to learn magic, and live in a school together for seven years. Mum and dad will be there in a week too, so I guess it's not so bad.' He decided and looked out at the passing buildings and then landscapes outside his window.

At long last, Cody Harry Summers was going to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. And he knew, even now as the train left London, that it was going to be one heck of an adventure!

To be continued...
End Notes:
Next chapter: Jack and Harry meet some of their classmates, and get their first sight of Hogwarts!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2339