The Forgotten Child by watercrystals
Summary: Voldemort is gone and Harry's relatives had no desire to keep Harry for long, so he was placed into an orphanage until he was adopted by a family. But when they pass away a few years later, he is placed into the custody of another who had just moved to Spinner's End. That is when Severus first saw the boy without even knowing who he was. The little boy, seven years old, who was always forgotten, uncared for and treated like filth. Severus watches this boy and sees a reflection of his own childhood. And when they meet, Severus vows to offer kindness where no one else does, in the form of a simple piece of food the boy lacked or a warm blanket for the cold days ahead. And when things get worst, he even offers shelter to the child the world had forgotten and cast aside.
The boy Severus now wants to save.
Categories: Healer Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Filch, Fred George, Ginny, McGonagall, Original Character, Other, Pomfrey, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic, Runaway, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 1st summer before Hogwarts
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: No Word count: 156318 Read: 208520 Published: 16 Oct 2010 Updated: 07 Sep 2013
Travelling on the Hogwarts Express by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
For obvious reasons, this is the first chapter in the story so far in which Severus is not in, though mentioned.
~~~

The floor beneath his feet rumbled and the luggage on the overhead racks rattled, as Harry sat silently staring through the window to his left, watching the blurred scenery flash by. Tress and sky were distinguishable only by their green or blue colours, and were otherwise as fleeting as his own thoughts.

When he and Jack had waved farewell to Harry's parents and the platform zoomed out of view, another boy had entered their compartment without their noticing, until they'd finally sat down and succumbed to quietness. Harry and Jack didn't say much of anything to each other for the first half an hour of the trip, preferring to sit in relative silence. The third boy in their compartment did the same and hadn't once looked their way. Or, if he had, neither of the pair had noticed.

Jack, getting rather bored, turned to the third boy seated beside Harry with a magazine on his lap, and decided to attempt a conversation.

'Are you starting at Hogwarts this year too?' Jack asked, thinking the boy with blonde hair nearly reaching his shoulders, and blue eyes that stared only at his open magazine, looked to be about their age.

Harry, distracted from his window-staring, glanced to his right at their additional company as well.

'That's right.' The blonde boy told them and still didn't look at them as he flipped a page and sighed. 'The name's Casey.' He added.

'I'm Jack.' The sandy-haired boy answered. 'And this is my best friend, Cody.'

'Hello.' Harry said politely.

The boy nodded and said nothing more.

With so few topics to discuss with him, Jack leaned back against his seat to once again fell quiet. It didn't last, however, as the compartment door slid open to reveal two others. Harry and Jack looked at them instantly, whereas Casey did not seem interested in anything other than the detailed pages of his magazine.

'Do you mind if we join you?' The girl asked.

She looked shy and a bit nervous, but eager to be friendly. She had very wavy golden brown hair and olive eyes. Some of her hair was held out of her face by an ordinary metal clip, which Harry thought looked rather plain and possibly muggle.

'Not at all.' Harry offered the pair a smile in return.

'Thanks!' The girl exhaled with extreme relief as she moved to sit between Harry and Casey, who inched away from her until he was almost able to touch the door.

With her settled on the seat, Harry looked to the boy she had with her. Harry was a bit confused at first, because while the boy had blonde hair like Casey (though shorter, as it reached his ears, and a tone or so darker), he barely looked their age at all. If Harry didn't know better, he'd have asked if he got on the train by mistake because he was only just tall enough to be eight, rather than eleven.

'We had a compartment.' The boy said, even sounding a bit younger, as he moved to sit across from the girl, and therefore right beside Jack. 'But some older guys kicked us out.' He frowned. 'We've been walking around for hours!'

'Don't exaggerated, Oscar.' The girl rolled her eyes. 'It was only about twenty minutes.'

'It felt like hours.' The smaller boy, whose name was evidentially Oscar, muttered.

Jack found this amusing, whereas Harry had turned to the girl with curiosity. How was she so shy-looking and yet cheerfully friendly? Maybe she wasn't worried about what house she was going to be sorted into or missing her parents too much to bear, and instead was just a bit anxious to arrive at their destination.

'Oh, sorry.' She caught Harry looking at her and blushed. 'I'm Haylee.' She told them. 'I can't wait to get to Hogwarts! Isn't this exciting? I didn't even know such a place existed, did you?'

And of all things, this was what Casey decided to react to, as his icy blue gaze slowly rose to give her a wary expression. He said nothing, but his magazine was left forgotten on his lap as he tuned into the conversation.

'I didn't at first.' Jack answered Haylee. 'My parents are muggles, but Cody's are magical, and we've been friends for years. I'm Jack, by the way.'

'That's cool.' Haylee said brightly. 'It's a relief to know I wasn't the only one! Gosh, my parents were so surprised! They're muggles too. You're Cody, I presume?' She looked at Harry. 'It must be great growing up around magic.'

'Yeah.' He nodded. 'It was. Though we lived in a muggle area so we had to be careful.'

'I'm Casey.' The blue-eyed boy suddenly spoke. 'And I can't believe I'm sharing a compartment with two...' He paused and sighed, looking annoyed as though the word he had wanted to use was hard to pronounce. 'Two muggleborns.' He finished.

'Why?' Jack asked. 'Is it rare to have magic when we're from muggle families?'

Casey didn't answer.

Instead, he shrugged his shoulders and returned to his magazine, though with less interest than before.

'I don't think it's too rare.' Oscar said. 'I'm not entirely sure, because you're the first muggleborns I've ever met. Not that I get out much.' He shrugged. 'My parents are magical, so I'm a bit like Cody. Except I've lived in the magical world all my life. I saw a muggle once, though, and he looked really weird.' He chuckled.

'I thought the same about wizards.' Jack joined in. 'With the robes and stuff, but I guess I got used to it quick since Cody's dad wears a robe around the house all the time.'

'What's your dad do, Cody?' Oscar wondered curiously, seeming to be most social when he was asking questions or comparing situations. 'My dad works at the ministry. Nothing fancy, but he likes it that way because then he has more time for mum and me.'

'My dad doesn't really work.' Harry confessed and looked away. 'He's a Potions Master, though. He sells them and ingredients sometimes.'

He wasn't really sure where the money came from, actually, as neither of his parents seemed to work and yet they never lacked any amount of money they needed. Erin's car was not some cheap second-hand old model either; she'd had it for many years (and he begged her to take out his old baby car-seat, which she finally did by the time he turned nine), and still it appeared quite new-looking and shiny. Not that she ever got to use it much, thanks to Severus.

'My dad's a mechanic, and mum's a doctor.' Jack added, rather than wait to see if someone would ask him.

'A...what?' Oscar frowned.

'That's nice.' Haylee commented, who understood immediately. 'Um...' She tried to think of how to explain them to Oscar, who new nothing about muggles, but was at loss.

'A doctor is like a healer, only for muggles.' Harry explained. 'A mechanic fixes cars when they don't work properly. Do you know what a car is?'

'Yes!' Oscar seemed very pleased with himself. 'I saw a picture of one once. They're the weird things on wheels with seats inside, right? How do they even move?' He shook his head with bewilderment. 'Anyway, that sounds interesting. I didn't know muggles had healers too. How do they cure anything without magic?' The freckled boy asked Jack, not realising until it was too late that he might have been happier not knowing about things such as needles, stitches, and surgical operations.

After Jack had finished explaining, Casey seemed to have turned paler than Oscar, who had lost use of his voice for several minutes - sitting there with his dark brown eyes wide as he stared in horror.

--

Time began to pass by with the group of five first years talking about random topics; mostly comparing their lives and retelling how they'd gotten their acceptance letters. Jack turned out to have the most interesting story, as it involved his parents moving to another country and him running away. He left out the embarrassing stuff, though, like being found by Severus and basically being dragged back home.

'I think it's great you're going to Hogwarts already with a best friend.' Haylee commented. 'You're both really lucky.'

'Yeah.' Jack smiled. 'I was so worried we'd never see each other again, and then I turned out to be a wizard too! It was the best thing ever.'

The compartment door opened again, this time by magic, and a lady with a trolley loaded with sweets turned her attention to them.

'Anything off the trolley, dears?' She asked.

Everyone jumped up from their seats at once - all except Casey, who shrank against his seat and lifted his magazine to partially conceal his face. Haylee and Oscar took the longest to pick what they wanted, mostly because Haylee was in awe of all the magical sweets whereas Oscar could not decide what he wanted.

'It's so not fair.' Jack muttered to Harry as he carried some chocolate frogs and droobles best blowing gum back to his seat. 'Your dad only gave us enough money for, well, barely anything!'

'Yeah.' Harry sighed, glad to have been able to afford the every flavour beans, a cauldron cake, and some sugar quills. 'He said we'd have a huge feast waiting for us, and we shouldn't fill up on sweets.' He rolled his eyes.

'Oooh, a feast?' Haylee overheard. 'That sounds great!' She grinned, sitting back down with some chocolate frogs and a lump of coconut ice.

Oscar dumped a pile of random sweets onto the space of seat beside him and once again seemed at loss of which to choose first. Harry was the only one who noticed Casey eyeing the pile with clear envy and longing. Harry looked at his preciously small pile and wondered if he should offer something, except Casey didn't look like the sort who hadn't been given any money.

Maybe he just didn't want to spoil his appetite?

'Are these real frogs?' Haylee asked hesitantly. 'I don't like the idea of eating one of those. I wish I'd gotten some of the beans instead.' She looked at Harry's box, which he had just eaten a bean from.

'Ew, no you don't!' Harry pulled a face. 'Yuck. Dirt.'

'I never eat those.' Oscar said to Harry through chews. 'I have never gotten a flavour I like. Not once! It's always gross stuff. I must have had a hundred beans when I was six and none of them were good.'

'How many flavours are there?' Haylee looked to be reconsidering her hasty rejection of the chocolate frog.

'Millions, maybe.' Oscar shrugged. 'I don't think anyone knows.'

'And they're not real frogs.' Jack added to Haylee, glad to know something magical from his experience with Harry. 'It's some sort of magic spell or something.' He shrugged.

'Casey, didn't you get anything?' Oscar noticed what Harry had a moment ago. 'I've got extra, if you want some.'

'No.' Casey said a bit rudely. 'I'm fine.'

'Hey, there's no need to be mean.' Haylee frowned and Jack rolled his eyes in equal dislike to the unkind reaction.

Harry glanced at Oscar and saw the thoughtful expression he aimed at Casey without any annoyance at all.

It was strange, how his mother's words returned to him during that moment, about how everyone had a story and sometimes it was not always easy to see it. As Harry sat there and risked eating another bean, while the others conversed about what sort of food they might get to eat at the feast, Harry wondered more on his mother's advice.

He found himself feeling curious and further interested in those he shared his compartment with, other than Jack, who he already knew very well. Haylee seemed nervous and new like they did, but she was so friendly and open. Oscar looked unsure and watched more than talked, unless he asked questions or wanted to share something he considered to be interesting. And then there was Casey. He had distanced himself from the rest of them from the very start, and yet was clearly listening to every word since Haylee had said she was from a muggle family.

Of all of them, Harry was most curious about Casey's story, if only because he was the hardest to figure out from mere glance and interaction alone.

'What about you, Cody?' Haylee pulled him from his thoughts.

'What?' Harry asked, looking to her with confusion. 'What about me?'

'Which class are you most looking forward to?'

'None.' Harry told her. 'I don't know enough about them. I mean, I know what they're about, but I'd rather attend some of them before I decide if I like them.'

'I want to change my previous answer. I agree with Cody.' Oscar said quickly. 'I might not be very good at Charms, anyway. I want to try them all first, before I pick.'

Harry hadn't been truthful with his answer, actually.

He was really excited for Herbology, but hadn't told anyone in case he ended up being really bad at the class and then got laughed at. He knew Jack was looking forward to Potions, which he soon told the others, and Harry was once again left to his thoughts. He, much like the ever-silent Casey, paid attention to what was being said even if his gaze was focused elsewhere.


Harry's reflection in the window became clearer when the sky began to darken outside. Most of the candy had been consumed, except for the few unopened packets sticking out of the pockets of Oscar's baggy pants, and the chatter had died down.

Casey was no longer reading his magazine and lounged on the seat with his foot swinging lightly over the floor in boredom. Oscar was showing Jack his Quidditch book, which had moving pictures Jack constantly gasped at and pointed to. Haylee had a sketchpad on her lap and was attempting to draw what looked like a deer, but was constantly grumbling when a bump of the train going over the tracks or turning a corner interrupted her work.

Harry was happy to stare out the window, but with the darkness becoming thicker and the landscape more what his father had described, he was feeling very nervous.

His thoughts were an anxious mix of worry in regards to his sorting and if he'd be any good at his classes, or if he and Jack would be in separate houses, and the eagerness he felt to finally reach the school and learn magic. He was no longer concerned about making friends, because even though he hadn't seen Ginny Weasley since they'd boarded the train, Harry was surrounded by at least two new faces he hoped to be friends with. Maybe even Casey, if the boy wasn't busy trying not to be friendly or involved in their conversations.

'What house do you think you'll be in?'

Everyone in the compartment paused and looked over at Casey, surprised as he was the one who had spoken. Haylee was the first to recover, while Oscar seemed to be doubting his own hearing.

'I heard a little bit about those.' She said. 'From the boys who kicked Oscar and I out of our previous compartment. They were talking about Ravenclaw a lot and I thought it sounded really cool. I don't know if I'm smart enough, though.'

'I like Gryffindor.' Oscar said. 'My mum was in Gryffindor. Dad was a Hufflepuff, though.'

'I think any are fine.' Jack remembered what Severus had told them about the houses, and looking over at Harry he knew the dark-haired boy was thinking of the same.

'My dad was in Slytherin.' Harry told them. 'I think I'd like to go there, but like Jack said, I think they're all good.'

'What about you, Casey?' Haylee asked him, since he had been the one to start the subject. Until she had spoken, he'd been watching Harry with a serious expression, which was concealed when he looked away.

Casey shrugged and considered his answer, which seemed to be something he struggled with, as though he really did not know what he thought of any of the four Hogwarts houses. Whatever answer he was going to give was drowned out by a voice overhead telling them they would be arriving at Hogsmeade Station soon and they should change into their school robes if they haven't already.

'I guess we better change.' Oscar sighed and rose from his seat.

He quickly bent to retrieve a fallen packet of leftover candy and stepped aside to let Haylee pass him, who was heading for the door.

'I'll be back in a moment.' She told them and disappeared into the crowded corridor outside their compartment.

The boys changed quickly and Harry's stomach felt to be changing as well, though in a much more unpleasant way. They were nearly there and he couldn't decide if he wanted to cheer or cry.

-- 

When Haylee returned ten minutes later, dressed in her Hogwarts uniform, she was quieter and looked paler than she'd been when she had left.

Harry could tell her own nerves had finally caught up with her as well. Casey and Jack were the ones who looked the least worried about their arrival, whereas Oscar was surprisingly rather wide-eyed and almost fearful. Harry wondered how he looked, but did not dare to take a peek at his reflection to see.

Because they were more focused on their pending arrival than ever before, and the announcement had been made about Hogsmeade Station being close (plus they were all dressed and ready to leave the train), Harry expected the train to slow and stop within minutes and he'd have to force himself to move.

It didn't, however, and the floor continued to rumble while the luggage overhead still rattled in the racks.

He exhaled, though not in relief, and realised they still had a little time before they would have to move. Maybe then he would find the courage to do so? Perhaps his legs would feel less like badly-set jelly, and his hands would have stopped shaking? He doubted it.

Another five minutes passed.

Casey flipped through his magazine again and Haylee returned to her drawing. Jack and Oscar compared chocolate frog cards and debated over which to trade, while Harry sat rigid in his seat with nervousness. And there was only one thing that could possibly make him feel even more on edge, and it was Oscar who brought it about.

'Hey, you've heard of Harry Potter, right?' The freckled boy asked as he looked at Jack and then Haylee. 'He's really famous.'

'A little bit.' Haylee replied without looking up from her sketch. 'Mostly from brief mentions on the train when we were walking around. I heard he went missing and he was supposed to start Hogwarts this year, but no one has seen him since he was a baby. What's he famous for?'

'What's he-?' Oscar gasped. 'He's Harry Potter! He stopped You-Know-Who when he was just a baby.'

'Who?' Jack frowned, though he looked to Harry with a serious expression.

The dark-haired boy gripped his seat and adamantly stared back towards the window, wishing the topic would stop. He would rather the train reached the station than to have to listen to anyone talk about famous Boy-Who-Lived, Harry Potter.

'You-Know-Who!' Oscar hissed with alarm.

'No, I don't know who!' Jack frowned back.

'He was the dark wizard who killed...' Harry halted and exhaled. 'Harry Potter's parents.'

'Yeah, that's him.' Oscar nodded.

'Shut up!' Casey suddenly snapped, startling Haylee the most. 'Can't you talk about something less depressing than him? He's gone, so leave it alone.' He was on his feet and glaring at Oscar as though the smaller boy had insulted him somehow.

Harry wanted to agree or change the topic, but found himself lost for words.

And as Oscar tried to work out if he should discuss something else or tell Casey to sod off, the darkened landscape outside the window became more refined. The floor was easier to stand on, and the luggage fell silent in its racks. The train was slowing down, and at any moment they would be arriving at the station.

'This is it.' Harry whispered to himself, looking at the floor with a fearful squirm in his seat.

The others were putting away their belongings and distractions in preparation to leave the compartment, while Jack stared at the buildings (from what he could see, with the darkness), though the window. Harry could not move. The floor was still and a hiss of steam was heard somewhere above.

Noise and movement filled the corridor outside their compartment and still Harry felt stuck.

'C'mon.' Jack urged. 'We have to get off the train.'

He grabbed a handful of Harry's black robes and pulled him to his feet. Once standing, Harry looked up and gulped, now able to move along after the others and mingle with the crowd. He wasn't worried about losing Jack or the others, because his mind was only focused on what he deemed to be a far more threatening doom which awaited him on the platform.

Stepping down, Harry inhaled the chilly night air and still felt relief when Jack joined his side, and Ginny at the other.

'Hello.' She told him. 'Are you nervous?'

'A little.' Harry lied.

'Me too.' Ginny sighed and looked ahead. 'Whoa!'

With Jack gasping as well, Harry's head shot up as he looked further along the platform to see what had caught their attention. It wasn't hard to notice the tall man with a thick beard, who was holding a lit lamp and calling the first years with his booming voice.

'He's huge!' Jack said in a hurried whisper, as he and his new classmates warily followed the large man.

'This way to the boats.' Hagrid said. 'Come on!' He called and led the way towards the water edge.

Harry was at the side of the group, and noticed all the other students from second years through the seventh were heading in a different direction. He had little time to ponder as the other first years began selecting boats. He felt a little sad seeing Ginny get into one with Haylee and Oscar, as well as a dark-skinned boy who looked to be in a bad mood.

'How about this one?' Jack pointed to the wooden boat on the farthest right.

A boy was already there and with the relative success they'd had on the train with the others, Jack instantly tried to be friendly.

'Do you mind if we join you?'

'Yes, I do.' The boy answered and looked them over with a frown. He had brown hair and eyes that weren't quite hazel, yet not entire light olive either.

Harry had made a move to enter the boat when Jack had asked out of politeness, and the boy aimed a shove towards Harry that nearly sent him reeling backwards.

'Hey!' Jack growled. 'What was that for?'

'What's goin' on over 'ere?' Hagrid asked. 'Come on, we 'aven't got all day. Get in you two.'

Harry and Jack glared at the boy and reluctantly got into the boat with him. They were soon joined by Casey, and a girl with round glasses and orange hair that looked nothing like Ginny's.

'Forward!' Hagrid boomed and with a jerk, the boats began to cross the lake.

Harry thought it was creepy how black the water was and was glad he soon found something else to focus on. Ahead loomed a huge castle with well-lit windows and stretching shadows. There were no words, as his nervousness was plunged deeper than the water at the marvellous sight before him.

'Wow.' Jack gasped from his side and Harry could only nod his head in agreement.

They had never seen anything so wonderful, and for many years to come, that first sight would always remain fondly in their mind whenever they would look at the castle, remembering this moment in which they rode on the boats and caught their first glimpse of Hogwarts.

'That's where we'll be staying?' Jack asked no one. 'It's a castle! It's so huge and amazing.'

'Yeah.' Harry swallowed and gripped the edge of the boat as it continued towards the towering castle.

Soon they ran out of water and Hagrid was instructing them to leave their boats. Harry's nerves returned with a vengeance.

Hagrid knocked loudly on a door and Harry tuned out anything afterwards, until they were moving once again. He was more towards the back and wondered if he should get closer, to at least try and prepare himself for what was coming.

'Welcome to Hogwarts.' Said a familiar voice. 'In just a few moments, I shall lead you through these doors and you will be able to join your schoolmates for an excellent feast.' McGonagall told them, looking over at the first years all until she spotted Harry and Jack amongst them.

Impossibly, her stern gaze seemed to give Harry a small boost of reassurance that everything was going to be okay.

'Before you can take your seats, each of you must be sorted into your houses.' The Headmistress continued. 'They are: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin.' She explained. 'Your placement into your house is not to be taken lightly. Your house-mates will be like family, and together your triumphs can earn your points for your house, which go towards winning the House Cup at the end of the year. Be careful, as any rule-breaking and you could lose points.' She said very firmly. 'Please wait here, as I will return momentarily.' McGonagall walked away and a low chatter spread through the group of first years.

Seizing the moment, Harry grabbed Jack's wrist and led him through the crowd so they could be more towards the front.

'Shoving people seems to be your thing, doesn't it?' Said an obnoxious voice.

Harry turned at once to glare at the dark-haired, brown-eyed boy he had accidentally bumped into on the train station. He had hoped to never see him again.

'And being a git seems to be yours.' Harry retorted.

'What was that?' Logan growled while several giggled at the exchange. 'Do you think you're better than me, do you?'

'At least he can think.' Jack added as a clear insult to the other boy. 'What's your problem?'

'I thought it was obvious.' Logan glared. 'Maybe I don't like being shoved around by the likes of him.'

'What's that supposed to mean?' Jack defended Harry.

'If you don't know, then I'm not going to tell you.' Logan sneered. 'What's it to you, anyway?'

'He happens to be my best friend.' Jack said through barred teeth. 'You say one word against him, and you have to deal with me!'

'Oh, I'm so scared.' Logan rolled his eyes. 'What are you going to do, really? Are you hoping to whine loud enough so the Professor will come and save you?'

'Jack!' Harry grabbed his friend's elbow. 'Don't. He's not worth it.'

Reluctantly, Jack listened to Harry and turned away from Logan, who was content to be ignored for now as he chuckled with others nearby.

Harry peered over his shoulder to see if he could spot someone he knew. Ginny was a bit far away, though she stood out with her flaming red hair and second-hand robes. Haylee was still with her, though Oscar had moved several feet away and was whispering with another boy. Casey was nowhere in sight, though Harry knew he had to be there somewhere.

He felt a nudge on his arm and turned back around as McGonagall walked towards them with a scroll in her hands.

Harry wanted to swim in the lake, argue with Logan some more, talk about Harry Potter on the train, anything to avoid what he knew the list in the Professor's hand meant. His father had implied enough, so Harry knew she had the all-important list with all of their names in alphabetical order. She would soon be leading them into the Great Hall for the first time, where a patched old hat would be waiting on a stool for them. McGonagall was going to call them one at a time to be sorted. And Harry wished he could turn and run back to the boats until it was all over.

 

'We are ready for you now.' McGonagall confirmed Harry's fears as she offered the group of waiting first years a smile. 'Follow me.' 
To be continued...
End Notes:
I decided to give the sorting ceremony its own chapter, as it's not as ordinary as it may appear. It's a crucial moment in the story, so yeah. I am back to updating regularly, so the wait shouldn't be too long.

I am REALLY curious to hear which houses you think the mentioned classmates of Harry's will be in. Though, of all shown in the banner, Ian is the only one you haven't read in this chapter yet. There are more characters, but those in the banner are the re-occurring classmates of Harry. Also note, "Conner" is the boy who shoved Harry in the boat scene. Please let me know if you like/dislike any of the students so far, and if you'd like to see/know more of any.

Edit: Also note, in regards to comments I received about the names of Harry's classmates, which were said to be popular American names, and many wondered why I picked them. I selected their names based on what I thought fit their character, and their purpose. However, here is some additional details for those wondering: Casey - American English. Also an Irish name, and Greek. Ian - Scottish + Irish Gaelic. In the UK it was the 19th most common male name in the 1960s. Haylee - Old English name Conner - Irish name Oscar - A given name from the Irish and English languages, popular in various others, namely in the 18th century Logan - Used in all English speaking countries. Is Irish, Scottish, Australian, Canadian, and American. Additionally, Harry in this story is a year younger than in canon, which is why he's in Ginny's class and not Ron's. I did think to make his journey more original, and because it's AU, several mentioned students from Ginny's year from canon may not be mentioned or used in this story. Any feedback/thoughts you have to share about anything relating to this chapter+story, I would love to hear them! Please review.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2339