The Forgotten Child by watercrystals
Summary: Voldemort is gone and Harry's relatives had no desire to keep Harry for long, so he was placed into an orphanage until he was adopted by a family. But when they pass away a few years later, he is placed into the custody of another who had just moved to Spinner's End. That is when Severus first saw the boy without even knowing who he was. The little boy, seven years old, who was always forgotten, uncared for and treated like filth. Severus watches this boy and sees a reflection of his own childhood. And when they meet, Severus vows to offer kindness where no one else does, in the form of a simple piece of food the boy lacked or a warm blanket for the cold days ahead. And when things get worst, he even offers shelter to the child the world had forgotten and cast aside.
The boy Severus now wants to save.
Categories: Healer Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Filch, Fred George, Ginny, McGonagall, Original Character, Other, Pomfrey, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic, Runaway, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 1st summer before Hogwarts
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: No Word count: 156318 Read: 208519 Published: 16 Oct 2010 Updated: 07 Sep 2013
A Hero in the Shadows by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
Due to plenty of reviews and that I have written ahead to chapter five by now, here is an early update of the next chapter! Enjoy.

'Boy, get down here and make yourself useful!' Simon shouted up to him the following morning. Harry jerked awake and banged his forehead against the underneath of his bed.

'Oww!' He whimpered and his eyes watered as he reached up to rub his head. Harry crawled out from under the bed and the events of the previous day came rushing back to him. He was hesitant about facing Simon again now that he knew the temper the man had, although Emile had surprised him the night before as well.

Shivering with subconscious cold, Harry changed into some lightly tanned pants and a long-sleeved blue shirt. He took his time to brush his hair and put on his socks as well as his shoes. And when he could not longer delay it, Harry inhaled a sharp breath and began to descend the stairs.

'You called?' He asked Simon carefully.

'There isn't anyone else here, is there?' Simon rolled his eyes as he leaned over the table and eyed the newspaper spread there.

'Where's Emile?' Harry fidgeted nervously.

'At work.' Simon grunted. 'Wash the dishes and sweep the floor. Then I expect you to take the trash out more effectively than yesterday.'

'Yes, sir.' Harry sighed and performed the first two tasks as quickly and yet accurately as he could, which was difficult when Simon kept glancing over at him as though he was waiting to find a flew in his task.

Clutching the rubbish bag, Harry stepped outside and glanced at the house across the street before he eyed the bin. Emile had remembered to place out something for him to stand on so he was able to reach the lid, must to the gratitude of Harry.

Since his jobs were done, Harry moved to sit on the front step and watched the cars driving past.

'Oi!' Simon burst through the door, whacking Harry in the back of the head with it as he hadn't had time to react.

'Did I say you can slack off, eh boy?' He scowled. 'Take this to Mr Kort down the street.' Simon handed him a package that felt like a stack of papers.

'Which house is...?' Harry went to ask but Simon had already vanished inside again and he didn't dare to ask for help. The boy glanced around Spinner's End but it was impossible to tell which house belonged to a person named “Mr Kort”.

Harry knew the chores he was given were so simple and took only a few minutes, but at the same time they were complicated and turned disastrous by something even more simple such as not being able to reach a lid or missing a tiny piece of information. Not knowing what else to do, Harry began to approach the first house on his left and knocked.

'Yes?' A distracted woman with a bad hairstyle opened the door and peered at him with confusion as though she was trying to work out how she knew him.

'Um, does Mr Kort live here?' Harry asked.

'Do I look married to you?' The woman scowled as though she had been offended right before she proceeded to slam the door in his face.

'Get lost, kid!' The fat man living beside her shouted before he'd even managed to ask for directions.

'I don't want any, go harass someone else.' The middle-aged woman in the next told him and than went to answer her phone.

'Are you a friend of Caleb's?' A depressed mother answered the other. 'Well, he's not here so just got home, please.' She than shut the door as well, even going as far as to bolt it closed from the inside.

'Look punk, I don't have any money on me so just get out of here, okay?' The overtired and shaggy man in the next house told him and so far no one had given him a chance to ask about Mr Kort's address.

--

After twenty minutes and many rude, uninterested residences later, Harry was beginning to wonder if Mr Kort even existed. He growled and tried not to feel as emotional as he was leading up to being.

Harry bit his lip and turned to stare at the house the dark man had disappeared into the previous day. He had helped him, maybe he'd do it again? With no other option, Harry decided to be brave and crossed the street, still clutching the unknown package under his arm.

Harry stood on the doorstep for a while before he finally raised his hand to knock. At first there was no answer until he was about to turn away and just give up.

'What?' Severus snarled as he yanked the door open and nearly startled Harry. 'Oh, you.' He glanced at the boy.

'Um, do you know where Mr Kort lives?' Harry asked in a defeated yet equally desperate tone. 'I've tried all the others but...'

'Let me guess, not one cares?' Severus rolled his eyes. 'Look around you. This is not a friendly neighborhood.'

Thinking that was code for “go away”, Harry nodded and sighed.

'Right. Sorry I bothered you.' He mumbled and turned to walk away but felt the back of his collar being yanked.

'Mr Melvin Kort lives a block down the road.' Severus pointed in the opposite direction Harry had been knocking on. 'And he is not an ounce friendlier than these lot.' He glanced at the houses Harry had knocked at.

'No one is, are they?' Harry grumbled as it seemed that so far this unnamed stranger was the only person who didn't slam the door in his face or sneer at his attempts to fulfill small tasks.

'Could you...I mean, if you don't mind, could you show me which house it is?' He asked pleadingly.

Severus looked down at the boy for along moment and than exhaled heavily. 'I shall.' He stepped out of his house and shut the door behind himself.

'Come along, I don't have all day.'

'Thanks.' Harry gasped and rushed to keep up with the man's long strides. He remembered his dreams the night before when this man had saved him from anything that came his way and found that he idolized this stranger in some way. In comparison to everyone else, this stranger seemed so much stronger and mysterious, but in a good way. Like a hero that was concealed by shadows.

They reached the house and Harry eagerly knocked on the front door. After a few minutes a unshaven man with tanned skin and a black cap opened the door. He glared down at Harry with such annoyance that the boy stepped backwards only to bump into Severus.

'I-I...' Harry swallowed and held up the package. 'Simon sent m-me to give this to you.'

'About bloody time, useless as he is!' Melvin Kort snatched the package off Harry and then turned to slam the door in their faces but it didn't reach the door frame.

'What...?' Kort turned and noticed Severus' foot had stopped the door from shutting.

'Look here, Snape. You've got no business here so get lost!'

'This boy has delivered your package and yet your gratitude is shown by slamming the door in his face?' Severus eyed the man and placed his hands on Harry's shoulders to keep the boy from fleeing.

'Yeah. Thanks, whatever.' Kort rolled his eyes and this time Severus let him slam the door.

'You didn't have to do that.' Harry mumbled as he stared at his feet, embarrassed that someone had stood up for him. 'It was just a silly package.'

Severus said nothing as he was sure he knew what was inside that package and instead removed his hands from the boy's shoulder and nudged him towards his house.

'It is not safe for someone your age to remain outdoors in this neighborhood.' Severus advised.

'It's not safe anywhere here.' Harry said and Severus hoped the boy was merely complaining about the new situation and home.

'Emile!' Harry gasped as he spotted her getting out of a car and heading towards their house.

'Cody, not now.' Emile sighed, obviously having not noticed Severus standing there.

'But he did it again!' Harry scowled. 'He sent me to some stupid house without telling me which one it is. Like he made me take the rubbish out yesterday when I couldn't reach. He wants to me fail.'

'You fail all on your own.' Emile shook her head. 'Now get inside.'

'It stinks like beer and smokes in there.' Harry crossed his arms and forgot about Severus as well. 'I don't want to.'

'Well too bad, we all do things we don't want to so get inside.' Emile raised her tone and noticed Severus. 'Who are you?'

'He's not going to kidnap me so don't worry about not being able to pay a ransom.' Harry frowned at her and shoved past as he stormed towards the house.

'I don't know who you are but I suggest you stay away from him.' Emile frowned at Severus before she turned and followed Harry inside.

Severus said nothing and simply turned around to return to his house. His mind was focused on the odd boy and wondered why he kept helping the child. Perhaps because the child reminded him of how when he'd been younger no one had bothered to help him either, not even with the smallest of tasks. Severus prayed their situations weren't really too familiar or else more drastic assistance may need to be taken.


'I hate this place.' Harry frowned later that afternoon as he stood inside by the door.

'Shut up, brat.' Simon told him. 'I hate you and your pathetic whining.'

'You're lucky you even have a place to go.' Emile added.

'This house stinks.' Harry continued as his fears were shoved aside by his anger.

'You don't like the house, huh?' Simon suddenly stood and Harry recoiled back towards the door. 'Well...'

'Simon, enough.' Emile rolled her eyes. 'Can't you just send him to his room and get this conversation over with?'

'Brats don't learn anything without a lesson.' Simon said. 'So shut your pie, woman!' He snapped and sipped the last of the beer in his can before he advanced on Harry again.

'I take it back!' Harry said quickly.

'Too late.' Simon grasped the scruff of Harry's shirt and opened the door with his free hand. He shoved Harry outside and smirked down at him.

'Don't worry, once you spend a night out here, you'll really appreciate the house.'

'Simon, I'm not paying ransom!' Emile scowled.

'Won't need to.' Simon shrugged. 'Everyone can see he's not worth anything.'

'No, wait!' Harry jumped up in spite of his sore knee and rushed to the door but it had closed and was locked.

'I'm sorry!' He pounded his fists against the door. 'Let me in! I can't stay out here! It's cold and...and scary.' Harry turned and wiped his eyes.

He saw that the street was getting darker before the rest of the world and the sun was sinking low. He sniffled and tried to keep his sobs at bay as he sat on the steps and wrapped his arms around his legs.

Harry hadn't known Simon long but he just knew the man wasn't going to let him inside until the sun rose again. He only hoped Emile would and yet he strongly doubted it.

--

Harry must have sat there for over two hours before the cold and darkness began to scare him so much more than the idea of making Simon mad by causing a commotion. He had considered shouting that he'd been locked out but given the friendliness of the people today, he wondered if anyone would really care.

He heard a dog howling in the background and spotted two teenagers near the end of the street digging through a large trash bin and his fear only increased. He saw the lights shining from overheard as well as the windows of the houses around him. Harry could smell roasts and fragrances as well as hear some people laughing over a TV show and others talking loudly on the phone. No one noticed the cold little boy locked outside in the night, starved of his dinner and without anyone to even worry about him.

All but one.

Severus had been passing by his window, which had been cleaned up so that he could keep an eye on the house across the street, and with good reason. He spotted Harry sitting on the step with his head bent over his knees as he appeared to be crying. It didn't take a genius to figure out what was going on.

'Blasted muggles.' Severus scowled as he pulled out his wand and summoned a silk, blue blanket he had just washed and had planned to stash in a drawer somewhere. He turned into the kitchen and grabbed a plate from one of the overhead cupboards. He made two slices of grilled cheese and snatched an apple as well as a small vial before he headed out of the house and once again crossed the street.

'Tis' not fair.' Harry sniffled and only felt worst when a cheesy aroma reached his nostrils.

'Hungry?' A voice asked and he glanced up in panic only to see the strange man standing before him with a plate.

'Yes.' Harry whispered hopefully and clutched at the plate when it was passed to him. He eyed the cheese-coated bread and turned to give the man a questioning look of his choice of food.

'My mother used to make that for me on cold nights.' Severus shrugged and knew the boy was cold because he himself was wrapped in his robes and he was able to feel the chill of the night air.

'Thanks.' Harry munched on his food and smiled at how yummy it was. 'Why do you keep helping me?' He wondered.

'Swallow before you speak, Cody.' Severus frowned. 'And you need no justification.'

Harry swallowed and decided that it didn't really matter why the man helped him so long as he didn't do something to change the man's mind. Suddenly fearful of losing his meal, Harry sped up his eating and soon the plate was empty.

'Drink.' Severus passed Harry a vial of a warming potion that was cleverly disgusted as orange juice. He knew it was terrible to encourage the boy to accept such gifts from a complete stranger but somehow Severus had a feeling that the boy was mostly ignored by the best and worst of all people.

Harry shivered again but felt much better with something warm in his stomach. He noticed that the air wasn't quite as cold as it had been as he handed to odd cup back to the man.

'You never told me your name.' Harry realized.

'Nor do I intend to.' Severus answered. 'It's easier that way.'

Harry was going to argue that he knew his name and yet that wasn't entirely true. The man thought he was Cody Evans when really he was Harry Potter. He nodded and remained silent for a moment until he realized that the man was about to leave.

'Please, sir!' He swallowed. 'It's scary out here...will you stay a little bit?'

'Why are you outside?' Severus asked instead. 'I understand you have been locked out but I cannot see what possible excuse they could have for locking a child outdoors all night.'

'I said their house stunk.' Harry blushed.

'Sometimes it is best to remain quiet.' Severus advised and handed Harry the blue blanket.

'Don't fret, child. I'm watching.' He nodded and headed towards his house. He stepped inside and shut the door as he cast many protective charms over the boy and also ones to alert him if anything happened. And with that, he set about preparing to brew a potion he had been wanting to work on for a while.

Harry wrapped the blanket around his shoulders and cuddled into it as he stared at the house across the street. The blanket was softer than any sheet he had ever felt and is smelled vaguely like honey...just like his dragon had before it got old. He wondered if honey was what home smelled like.

Either way, the streets weren't so dark or scary anymore and Harry was able to curl up on the step knowing that even though he couldn't see the man, he was certain that he watched over him all night. His hero in the shadows.


Harry awoke the moment the sun began to rise because he was painfully uncomfortable and had fretted about all night.

He yawned and sat upright, wincing as his body protested with aches and cramps. He rubbed his eyes and pulled his blanket closer as he looked around the street. The house across from him was as concealed and vacant as all the others and yet he felt as though his hero was watching him still. Sighing, Harry glanced at the door of his own residence and crawled over to knock.

'It's morning!' He called out. 'Let me in!' Harry pounded against it and yelped when it opened inwards and he fell sprawled onto the floor.

'Enough with the racket, we heard you already.' Emile scowled at him.

'Get in.' She demanded and he was more than pleased to do so. She didn't even notice his blanket, of which he was quite thankful for because he had no intention to explain it or let them take it away.

'Eat.' Emile added. 'I've got to get to work. Stay out of Simon's way if you know what's good for you.' She pulled on a coat and had left the house in minutes.

Harry made himself some sandwiches and stole a almost-empty box of biscuits as he wondered what Emile's job was and how long Simon had been passed out on the couch for.

After his meal he drank as much water as he could and than rushed upstairs to use the bathroom and change into clean clothes.

Harry curled up on his bed and was indeed very thankful for it more even more so, he loved his new blanket. He was like a shield of calmness when he hugged it and inhale its honey-homey scent.

--

He must have dozed off again because when Simon was shouting to him, it was almost nine in the morning. Harry concealed his blanket under his pillow and rushed from the room to approach the man he absolutely loathed.

'I want a day of peace and quiet.' Simon told him. 'Do your usual chores and then you can get lost until sundown.'

'Where do I go?' Harry wondered.

'I don't care so long as you're back no sooner than sundown.' Simon retorted with a scowl and waved his hand dismissively.

'Okay.' Harry sighed and washed the dishes, swept the floor and took out the little amount of trash there was. He didn't understand why he had to do these thing everyday as they barely took five minutes total now that he could reach the bin's lid.

Harry stepped outside and admired the clear blue sky for a moment before he enviously watched several children ride their bikes past as they laughed together. It reminded Harry that he had only a day or two left until he was due back at school, which was something he didn't mind other than the fact that he'd be the new kid again.

Harry dragged his feet as he stuffed his hands into his pockets and wandered aimlessly around in a circle the street for a moment. He crossed over and glanced at the house of the strange man for a moment before he walked along it down the right side and spotted a park at the end near the corner. He couldn't find a gate anywhere so he crawled under some bushes where he had spotted a hole in the fence that was big enough for him to fit through.

Harry stood and looked around at the swings, roundabout, see-saw and sandbox. Shrugging, he approached the swings and sat on one and closed his eyes as he imagined being a normal kid for once. His legs swayed as he swung and he re-opened his eyes to wondered if this was what it felt like to fly. The higher he went to more he wished he could just soar through the air and land safely on his feet. Harry must have used the swing for over an hour before he ventured to the roundabout and laughed until he felt dizzy.

The sandbox was no fun so he instead climbed a large oak tree in one corner of the park near the swings and that was closer to Spinner's End than the nicer streets everywhere else surrounding the empty park. Reaching for each branch with odd ease although Harry had barely climbed any trees in his life, he soon found himself several feet off the ground and quite liked keeping his distance from the world below.

Harry could see far from his perch and happily stayed there for hours, watching the clouds drift by in shapes or the people that passed around him and went about their normal lives. He shifted his position and felt his hand brush against something on the trunk.

'Huh?' Harry turned and rubbed it further until the moss cleared and a few scarred scrapings were clearly printed there. He frowned as he leaned closer to read it and saw the words “Sev and Lily. Friends forever” carved there. The writing was clearly by someone around his age or a bit older and had been there a while, although the word “forever” was harder to read as a fresher scrapping appeared to have mostly crossed it out. Whoever those two had been, Harry had a feeling that the “forever” part no longer applied.

--

It was early afternoon and a spell told Severus that the boy was no longer at the house. He had been gone for some time and he was worried, no curious, as to where he had gone.

Severus stepped outside and realized that the boy had caused him to venture into the outer world he was trying to shut out more times in a few days than anyone had in a year.

'Point me, Cody Evans.' Severus said to his wand but there was no result so he tried again. He wasn't sure why the spell didn't work unless...was that truly the boy's name? Perhaps his surname had changed than? Either way, his spell was useless.

Severus put his wand away and wandered down the street, thinking of the park he used to spend a lot of time at as a child. He approached the fence and saw the boy climbing down from a tree, dropping a sharp stick onto the ground as he ventured over to the swings. Severus watched him for a moment and placed a tracking spell on the child so that he would always know where he was and if he was in any danger.

With that, he turned and retreated to his home and allowed the boy a moment to himself.

Harry glanced over at the fence as he thought he'd seem something move and spotted his secret hero walking away. He wondered if he had been checking on him and smiled at that thought because it meant that even if it was only to one other person, Harry wasn't entirely invisible anymore.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2339