Common Interests by Snapegirl
Summary: Sequel to Common Ground. After Halloween, Snape and Harry begin to bond even more as they discover some common interests. But will it stand the test of time... and can Sev protect Harry from the evil that stalks him? AU, Sev and Harry mentor/guardian story
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Neville, Original Character, Other, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Kidnapped
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: Something In Common
Chapters: 50 Completed: No Word count: 285419 Read: 214070 Published: 18 Oct 2010 Updated: 27 Apr 2013
Uncommon Conversations by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
Many unusual conversations occur

Irma's quarters

Christmas morning:

"Do come in, Severus and Harry!" Irma greeted, she was wearing a quilted blue robe with stylized ravens and eagles imprinted on it, and matching shoes. She looked quite relaxed, her nez pince glasses hanging on a gold cord about her neck. Her graying brown hair, normally in a severe bun, was pulled back in a casual tail and decorated with a pretty blue ribbon. "And Skullduggery too!" she added as the raven glided down to alight on his wizard's shoulder. "Happy Christmas!"

"Happy Christmas, Irma. Thank you for inviting us," Severus said, giving her a slight bow.

"Happy Christmas, Madam Pince," Harry said politely, following his guardian's suit.

"Come, Lena is just finishing setting the table." Madam Pince beckoned them into her sitting room.

"Merry Christmas to all here!" Skull called.

Harry looked about curiously, for he had never been inside Madam Pince's quarters. To his surprise, the librarian's sitting room was cozy and warm—done with deep gold earth tones and navy blue covered furniture accented with golden oak. The fire was blazing, lending both warmth and a sweet apple and cinnamon scent to the air. The mantle was decorated by swags of fir and holly, wrapped with light blue and silver ribbon and ornaments. Along the right hand corner was a large bookshelf filled with many leatherbound volumes, a wingback chair sat next to them, along with a small reading table and a tall wrought iron lamp.

The sofa had been moved to accommodate a large round table filled with all sorts of breakfast foods, and carafes of tea, coffee, juice, and cappuccino and espresso. Lena was there, arranging the china, which was gold with a blue leaf pattern, and silverware. Four chairs were set about the table, as well as perch for Skullduggery.

Lena looked up at their entrance, a smile stealing over her features. She was dressed in a frosted blue gown, simple yet elegant with tapering sleeves and seed pearls and crystals lining the top of the bodice. Hanging about her neck upon a velvet ribbon was a silver and gold raven charm. Her hair was loose and flowing and she had a headband decorated with silvery snowflakes about it. The dress set off her honey-gold hair and made her eyes even bluer. She wore long silver bells in her ears that chimed gently when she moved. "Happy Christmas, Severus, Harry, and Skullduggery! Or, as my father would say, Buon Natale!"

"Grazie, signorina Rosario." Severus said, giving his colleague an appreciative smile. "Lei e bellissima."

Lena blushed. "You are too kind, sir. That robe becomes you exceedingly well. Green is definitely your color. I wasn't aware you spoke Italian, Severus."

"Only a little." Severus replied. "I have just about exhausted my knowledge of it."

"Please, sit down. I'm so glad you could come. My mother sent all of this to me and Aunt Irma, much of it is homemade; she thinks we starve here at school." Lena chuckled and indicated all the silver trays and bowls.

"Doesn't she know about the house elves?" Harry blurted.

"Of course, but she claims that magic cannot replace authentic Italian cooking. Thus, the Christmas breakfast baskets."

Once they were all seated, Lena asked what everyone wished to drink.

Severus had espresso, Irma some cinnamon spice tea, and Lena and Harry had cappuccino.

To his surprise, Harry found the cappuccino delightful, not horrendously bitter, but mellow and creamy and with the right amount of sugar, satisfyingly sweet. "Lena, it's . . .wonderful!"

"Isn't it? I miss making a freshly brewed pot every morning," she said, sipping her own. "This was made by my dad and shipped through Express Post. I know the elves would try and make it if I asked, but as Mum always says, there are somethings magic cannot duplicate and this is one of them."

"I quite agree," Severus said, drinking down his espresso. "This is superb, I haven't had espresso since I attended an International Potions Conference two years ago." He poured himself another shot.

Harry eyed the tiny cup and said, puzzled, "Uncle Sev, why is the cup so small? It looks like hardly a mouthful."

"It's small because it's very strong," Severus answered. "You probably wouldn't like it."

"May I try?" Harry asked.

Lena floated a cup over to him. He sipped it and grimaced. "Ugh! How can you drink that?"

Severus smirked. "You know how I like my coffee, Harry."

"Yeah, but . . . that stuff could strip paint." His ward said, then took a long drink of his cappuccino.

"Help yourselves," Irma said.

There were platters of crispy bacon and fat grilled Italian sausage with sage, there were apricot and almond biscotti, as well as chocolate ones. There was a large cast iron skillet with something called frittata, an Italian omelet with eggs, zucchini, onion, peppers, and a layer of crunchy potatoes on the bottom, seasoned with garlic and other spices and sprinkled with cheddar cheese. There were warm rolls, with several spreads, like Welsh rarebit, and Seville orange marmalade, butter, and clotted cream. There was a lovely basket of fresh fruit, it contained figs, apples, winter plums, nectarines, grapes, and bananas. There was cinnamon French toast with golden syrup or honey to spread on it.

Severus fixed a small plate for Skull, with pieces of sausage, bacon, the omelet, and pieces of nectarine, grapes , and French toast. He levitated it over to the raven's perch and Skull began to eat hungrily, making happy noises of satisfaction.

Harry couldn't believe how delicious everything was. He tried a little of everything and then went back for seconds. He noticed that Severus did also, and some of his choices were also Harry's favorites as well, like the frittata and sausage. Harry loved the winter plums, which were sweet and juicy with deep red inside. "These are amazing!"

Lena chuckled. "Yes, the plums are always my favorite too."

"I prefer nectarines and the figs," Severus said, eating another of each. Then he pushed his plate away. "If I eat any more, I won't be able to move. This was a fabulous meal, ladies. I have never had better."

"Me either," said Harry.

"It was delicious!" Skull squawked in agreement, nibbling upon a biscotti.

"Thank you for the lovely book, Severus," Lena said. "I have never seen an illuminated manuscript of Thomas More's Utopia. It's gorgeous."

"And thank you for the coffee package," Severus said. "I shall make good use of it."

Just then, there came a loud hoot outside the door, and Irma opened it to see a large gray owl hovering with a small package. It flew in and delivered it to Harry, dropping it in his lap before flying off again.

Harry examined the package, then looked at Severus and said, "It's from Wizarding Occulars. I think it's my new glasses."

"About time!" Skull remarked.

Harry opened the package, and sure enough, there were his brand new glasses with slender gold wire frames. They were neat looking and best of all, he could see much better with them on. He removed his old ones and put his new ones on. "Wow! Everything's so much clearer!"

"And you look much handsomer with them," Irma teased. "Funny, how a new pair of glasses can make you feel like a different person."

Harry looked down at his old ones. "What do I do with these?"

"Throw them out," Severus said. He waved his wand and Harry's old glasses vanished.

Skullduggery peered at Harry and said, "Now you can see with the eyes of a falcon, bran-boy." Abruptly he turned about and tugged on a smallish tail feather. He presented it to Harry. "Here. A present from me. You can make it into a quill, Sev can show you how. Spells and potion recipes written with a raven quill can only be read by the holder, it's the ultimate way to disguise your thoughts and personal inventions. Also, when necessary, you can use a quill for defense, place a Sharpness Charm on it and you'll have a fine weapon, better than any knife."

Harry's eyes widened. "Thanks, Skull! That's wicked!"

Skull made a curious trilling and gurgling sound, it sounded like kmmm-grrr.

Lena eyed the raven thoughtfully. "Skullduggery, is it true that ravens have their own tongue, one that is different from the way other birds communicate?"

The raven bobbed his head affirmatively. "It is, Mistress. We call it Ravenspeak, and we were using vocal language long before humans. In fact, there is a legend about Raven teaching humans to speak properly."

"That's fascinating!" Lena exclaimed. "That sound you made just before, was that something in Ravenspeak?"

"It was. It was a vocalization of affection, for I do love Harry and Sev best." Skull answered.

"This Ravenspeak . . . can anyone learn it?" asked Irma.

"If they are patient and listen well, yes. Sev knows Ravenspeak, I taught him myself when first I chose him. It is difficult for humans to reproduce the sounds, but you can learn to comprehend it."

"Could you teach us?" Lena asked eagerly, sounding like an excited child.

"I can. I shall begin by telling you that Ravenspeak is comprised of both calls and posture, fluffing of feathers and so forth. Here. This means, hello and I love you." He walked over to Harry and bumped his head against Harry's forehead and made the odd trilling purr again.

Then Skull stepped back and posed, fluffing his feathers up and making his ear feathers stand erect, looking as if he were sporting horns on his head. "Knock knock knock." He made a curious sound like the rapping of a fist on a door.

"That means "look at me" and is a raven's power call." Severus explained. "They use that along with the posture to show rank and dominance among a flock of ravens."

"A flock of ravens is sometimes called a conspiracy," Lena said. "I know that much from my reading."

"Yes, that's right." Skull agreed. "Or, if you are speaking of the ravens that live about the Tower in London, where my family still dwells, they call us a constable. Because we watch and guard against the dark."

"Skull what are those feathers on your head? They look kind of like horns," observed Harry.

"These?" the raven playfully waggled them. "Long ago, some silly superstitious humans thought it meant we were devil birds." He made a sarcastic hoot. "Stupid! We are the ones who guard against the dark. We are not in league with them." He ruffled his feathers and his ear feathers flattened.

"What else can you say in Ravenspeak?" Irma asked. "And do you mind if I take notes? I would love to write a paper on it."

The bird clicked his tongue and said, "So long as your paper is for members of the Society only."

"Of course. You honor us." Irma said, inclining her head in respect.

"Here's a call you all should be familiar with." Skullduggery said, and puffed out his chest and gave a very loud cackle. "KEK KEK KEK!"

"That's a raven's alarm call. It means "danger" or "get away from here"." Severus translated.

"We give that call when we don't care for someone visiting the Tower," Skull added. "Or sometimes we use this call-ca ca ca ca. That means—I am angry, and wish to bite you, or leave me alone, idiot!"

Harry laughed at that. "I've heard you give that cry before, when Malfoy attacked me that night."

"Indeed," Skull snorted. "And then I nipped him, the rotten brat!"

He then proceeded to make some crooning and small growling noises which he said were how a parent raven spoke to a nestling and sounded remarkably like a lullaby. The nestling's reply sounded very like a baby wailing. He showed her the typical strutting posture most people were familiar with, and the puffed up hissing posture that was meant to frighten away enemies, especially other birds intent upon harming their young. He also showed them the flattened feathers and lowered head of a submissive young raven.

Irma wrote down everything Severus and Skullduggery told her, later she would transcribe the information into a concise paper about Ravenspeak. "I believe many of our scholars in the Society would love to learn about this."

"Thank you, Skull, for teaching us," Lena said.

The raven ducked his head, almost as if he were embarrassed. Then he cawed, "It was my pleasure."

All in all, it was a wonderful Christmas breakfast, the first Harry could remember where he didn't have to cook or clean or get scolded by his aunt or uncle.

Page~*~*~*~*~*~Break

Later, he went and found Ron and told him about his presents and showed him his new room. The red-haired wizard was very impressed. "Blimey, Harry! It's so big!" He bounced upon the bed. "Who would have thought Snape would give you such a nice room?"

"He said that everyone needs a room of their own and this is what he would do if I . . . were really his son." Harry said quietly.

Ron's eyebrows rose into his hair. "Really? Then I guess . . . he really does care for you. I'm glad, Harry. Your relatives sound like nasty buggers, you're well shut of them."

"Don't I know it!" Harry bounced on the other side of the bed, just because he could.

"Let's go play in the snow, Harry," suggested Ron. "There's a fresh coat of snow."

Harry agreed and the two friends raced out of Snape's quarters and through the dungeons until they reached the Entrance Hall. There they met the twins and their potions professor, who had just come from Dumbledore's office.

Severus frowned at his ward. "And just where are you two going?"

"To play outside, sir," Ron answered.

"Not without a coat, scarf, gloves and a hat you aren't," the professor reminded.

Only then did both boys realize they weren't dressed properly and they groaned.

"Blast! I left my coat and everything in my room!" Harry cried in dismay.

Severus Summoned them as well as Ron's things. "There! You may play outside until dinner. In the meantime, I am going to read."

"Have fun!" Harry grinned, knowing Severus was going to relax with his magazine and probably a cup of coffee.

Ron yanked his cap down over his eyes, then dashed away out the door. "Harry, come and get me!"

Harry shoved up his hat then raced after his friend.

The twins decided to join them, mostly for the fun of tackling their little brother into snow drifts.

The four boys threw snowballs at each other, made snow people, and even a wizard snowman, complete with a snow owl on its arm.

Fred and George challenged Ron and Harry to a snow war, and built snow forts at opposite ends of the Quidditch pitch. Then they began to battle.

At first, Harry and Ron got the worst of it, because the twins were devilishly coordinated and threw snowballs at a furious rate. Despite all they could do, Fred and George had them pinned down.

Until a dark shape zoomed overhead, and began dropping snow-coated pinecones down upon the twins, cawing loudly—KEK KEK KEK!

"Ow!"

"Hey, Skull, what's up?"

The raven flew overhead, doing aerial acrobatics. He flipped over, somersaulting on the air, flew backwards, then grabbed some snow off a branch and dive bombed, scoring a direct hit in George's eye. "Bullseye!"

"Whoo hoo!" Ron yelled. "Way to go, Skull!"

"Score one for the raven!" Harry whooped. "Do it again, Skull!"

The raven made a clicking noise and flew off to grab more pinecones.

With Skullduggery's aerial assistance, Harry and Ron were victorious.

The twins were good sports however, and congratulated them and their sneaky conspirator. They put their arms about Harry and Ron and escorted them back to the castle, as it was close to dinner. Skullduggery flew overhead.

"Clever, baby brother!" chuckled Fred.

"You sure had us fooled!" George agreed. They winked at each other.

"Never start a war with a raven," Ron boasted.

"True!"

Then Ron and Harry yelped as the twins dumped the snow they had hidden in their gloves down the boys' backs.

"Ahhh! Fred, you prat!" Ron cried, wriggling to try and get the snow off.

"Now don't say I never gave you anything, Ronnie!"

Harry was shivering and jumping up and down. "Ohh! It's freezing!"

Laughing, the twins darted inside, leaving the younger wizards to help each other remove the snow down their necks and back.

Page~*~*~*~*~*~Break

Dinner in the Great Hall was incredible. The hall was decorated with at least eighteen Christmas trees of all sizes, some with real snow on them and others with twinkling magical lights and pretty ornaments. The walls were festooned with holly, ivy, and evergreen boughs. There was even a mistletoe hanging up in the middle of the room. Soft festive music played as the staff and the students remaining at the school entered.

Harry hesitated as the Weasleys—Ron, the twins, and Percy—sat down at the Gryffindor table. Should he sit with his friends, or with his guardian at the High Table?

Percy saw his indecision and said, "Go on Harry, go and sit with Professor Snape. It's traditional for family to sit together for Christmas dinner. Since you have a guardian on staff, you get to sit up there with him."

Harry looked up at the staff table and saw an extra place was laid beside Severus' chair, inbetween him and McGonagall. "See you later, Ron," he waved and then hurried up to the high table. Severus, Lena, and Irma appeared in the hall a few moments later. Skull was flying over their heads, singing "We Three Kings", and other Christmas carols in different voices.

He circled the staff table and landed on the arm of Harry's chair, singing "Away in a Manger" lustily. "Hey, bran-boy! How are you enjoying your Christmas?"

"It's been . . . amazing, Skull."

"Good! But just wait till you see the feast."

As if on cue, the food appeared on all the tables in the hall.

Harry nearly toppled over.

There were over a hundred turkeys, roasted to a golden crisp perfection. There were boats of rich gravy and sweet cranberry sauce. Mountains of mashed and roasted potatoes, buttered peas, and stuffing were served. At each plate was a wizard cracker and more were stacked in the center.

"Oooh! A wizard cracker!" exclaimed Skull, looking like a kid seeing a forbidden treat. "Here, Harry, I shall pull one end." The raven grasped the red ribbon at one end in his beak. Then he walked backwards, tugging hard.

Harry pulled the other end, and the cracker exploded with a tremendous bang and a cloud of purple smoke.

Harry coughed, waving away the smoke, and found three white mice and a wizard chess set inside. "Awesome! Are they all like this?" he asked the raven.

"They all have different prizes inside. Yum! A mice appetizer!" Skull trilled, then he proceeded to swoop down upon the mice, catching two by their tails in his beak and one in his talons. He then flew up to perch in the rafters to eat his appetizer, one of a raven's favorite foods was mice.

"Well done, Harry!" clapped Dumbledore. He had exchanged his pointed hat for a poinsettia-bedecked broadbrimmed one. He laughed at a joke Flitwick told him, looking very jolly.

Harry looked up when Snape joined him, the professor gallantly assisted Lena into her seat before he sat in his own.

"Are you going to pull your cracker, Uncle Severus?" Harry asked.

Severus shook his head. He really was too old for all this cracker nonsense, but he told Harry to grab one end and together they pulled it.

This time the cracker gave a whistle like a train, loud and long and shot colored sparks when it exploded.

Inside was a neon chameleon and a hat shaped like a cauldron that shot green and silver bubbles into the air. Severus quickly corralled the chameleon, and stuck the animal into a pocket. Chameleons were prized in potion making for their skin. He looked at the hat in distaste. "Does he really expect me to put this on?" he grumbled.

"Why not?" Harry smirked. "It's perfect for you!"

"Please," Severus rolled his eyes.

"Put it on, Sev! It's tradition!" urged his familiar.

Snape scowled. "I don't believe in this tradition."

"Oh, Severus, you must wear it," Lena said. "It's just for fun, look at the ridiculous necklace I'm wearing." She indicated the chicken foot necklace she had on, it was withered and ugly and it had a candy-cane colored ribbon attached to it with some feathers.

"Merlin, woman!" Severus gasped. "That is repulsive!"

"I know, but who cares?" she laughed. "Come on, Snape. Join the party!"

Muttering something under his breath, Severus picked up the bubbling cauldron hat and put it on.

"You look smashing, Severus," Lena giggled.

"Man, you are smokin'!" Skull whooped in his best gangster imitation. He began flying about popping the bubbles. "It's the Voodoo Queen and the Cauldron King!"

Harry turned away, trying to muffle his giggles.

"Why, Severus, are you starting a new trend?" McGonagall teased.

Severus just rolled his eyes.

"Good show, Severus!" Dumbledore applauded. "I was hoping you'd open that one."

When everyone had opened their crackers, Dumbledore gestured for them to all start eating.

Severus quickly removed the cauldron derby and stuck it into the middle of the table. He then helped himself to some turkey and the other sides, his face tinged a faint red. He turned to his ward, who was still snickering into his napkin. "Harry, quit sniggering and eat." He waved his wand and a Nutrient Potion popped up. "But first, drink this."

Harry obeyed. Then he dug into the feast. After the main course came thirty flaming Christmas puddings and small handheld apple pies. There was strawberry shortcake as well, though Skullduggery flew down and snitched the strawberry right off the top of one. Sparkling fruit punch was served to the children and the adults had cranberry Christmas wine.

Harry was allowed to open four more crackers, inside he received a pair of Ever-Warming Socks, which always kept your feet warm even in the snow, he also got a Grow Your Own Venomous Tantagula kit, and the last item was a plush snake, it was silvery gray with red eyes, resembling an ashwinder. Harry tucked his loot into a canvas bag he won in a cracker and set it by his feet.

He happily ate a slice of pudding, and then a pie. Even Severus indulged himself and ate some pie. Skullduggery was served a slice of pudding and plucked a silver Sickle from it. "Ha! I'm lucky!" He loved shiny things, like any raven, and happily tossed the coin up in the air and caught it in his beak.

After dinner, Harry opted to return to Gryffindor Tower and play wizard chess with Ron. "But I'll be back to sleep in my new room," he reassured Severus, not wanting the man to think he was snubbing him or being unappreciative.

"Off with you, child. I would hardly expect you to remain with me every moment as if you were a toddler." Severus waved him off.

Harry scampered off with the Weasleys and spent the evening getting his arse kicked by Ron in chess. But they also had lots of fun toasting marshmallows over the fire in the common room, and they ate a light supper together of sandwiches, crisps, trifle, and Christmas cake.

The clock struck ten and Harry found himself yawning over his chess board. "Guess I better get some sleep," he told his friend, packing away his set. "G'night, Ron. I'll see you tomorrow for breakfast."

He made his way down the stairs to Snape's quarters, the school felt eerie without the rest of the students there, and once or twice Harry froze and glanced behind him. He felt oddly as if eyes were following him or watching him, even though there were no portraits along the dungeon walls. He clutched his wand in one hand and half-ran through the dungeons until he reached Snape's suite. Then he leaned against the door, getting his breath back and chiding himself for acting like a scaredycat. He'd had too much sugar and his imagination was running away with him, conjuring up phantoms.

But he breathed a soft sigh of relief when he turned the doorknob and entered the room, safe at last.

He found Severus still up, reading from a thick tome, and a cup of Black Diamond was at his elbow. Skull was dozing on the sofa back, his head tucked under his wing. He opened one eye and lifted his head long enough to discern it was Harry returning, then fell asleep again.

"I'm back."

"Obviously," Severus drawled. "Did you enjoy your evening?"

"Very much. How about you?"

" I spent the time reading, among other things. It was very relaxing."

Harry was pleased that his gift was working out so well. He went into his new room to change into pajamas and unpack the sack with the presents he'd gotten from the wizard crackers. He picked up the snake plushie and held it at arms length for a few moments, thinking hard. Then he tucked it under his arm and went back out into the sitting area.

Severus was staring into the fire and he seemed pensive and sad, no longer relaxed. The book lay forgotten in his lap.

Harry bit his lip and worried it back and forth. He was unsure if he should interrupt his guardian's melancholy reverie. The black eyes were distant, as if he recalled something long ago . . . or maybe someone. Like Lily. Harry watched silently for a few moments more, remembering that like himself, Severus must have spent many holidays alone, as he had no family to share them with. Except Skull. And though the raven was a terrific familiar, there were some things he could not do. Such as give the older man a hug.

Harry recalled all the times he crouched alone in the cupboard or forgotten in the hall, watching Petunia and even Vernon lavish attention and hugs on Dudley. He remembered how badly he wished for someone to hug him that way. He wondered suddenly if Severus had ever wished that too. But like Harry, there had been no one around who cared, or maybe even dared, to do so.

But now there was.

Harry moved softly across the floor until he was standing beside the dark-haired wizard. "Uncle Severus? Are you all right?" He touched the other lightly on the hand.

Severus blinked and twitched, brought back from his reverie. He looked over at Harry and said, "I'm fine. Just remembering . . .that's all."

"Something bad?"

"No, just . . . nostalgic for days gone by, when your mother and I were innocent children. Ignore me."

But Harry heard what Severus did not say, that he missed Lily and remembering her was better than being alone on Christmas. Without pausing to think, he quickly removed the ashwinder plushie from under his arm and set it in the other's lap.

Severus stared down at the coiled snake.

"Harry, what is the meaning of this?"

"Well, sir, I thought you could use a friend."

"Do I look like a child to you?" Snape scowled warningly.

"No, but . . .everyone needs something to hug."

Severus was speechless. At first he was tempted to snap at the boy, but then he saw that Harry was not mocking him, or making light of his feelings, the boy was trying to comfort him. His hand darted out to touch the plush snake.

Harry gulped, sure Severus was going to yell. The Potions Master had the strangest look on his face. As if he weren't sure if he should be angry or shocked. It had been a stupid idea. What had he been thinking? "Sorry, sir. I just thought . . ." He reached out to take the snake back. "Forget it. I'll just go to bed now."

But before he could grab the snake, Snape's hand closed over his own. Obsidian eyes met emerald. Wordlessly, the professor found himself opening his arms, inviting the boy to hug him.

Harry felt a warm glow spread through him. Severus understood, he was not offended. He slipped his arms about the other's middle and hugged him.

An instant later he felt strong arms clasp him and hold him close.

Harry instinctively tucked his head beneath Snape's chin and rested his cheek upon Severus' chest. He had never really been held in his life, except after the troll incident in the library, and he should have felt awkward and uncomfortable. Instead he felt safe and protected, but most of all, loved. He remained in Snape's lap for a few moments more, basking in the wizard's approval before finally withdrawing.

"Thanks, Uncle Severus."

"No, Harry. It is I who should thank you. For reminding me that Christmas is a time of joy, not sorrow." He ruffled the boy's hair, then pointed to Harry's room. "Bed, Mr. Potter. It's eleven o'clock."

"'Night, sir." He went obediently towards his room, but couldn't resist glancing back.

He saw the professor rise and . . . take the snake plushie with him as he headed into his suite.

It had been the perfect end to the perfect day, Harry thought as he crawled beneath the covers. And tomorrow would be better still.

Page~*~*~*~*~*Break

Two days after Christmas, Harry received his marks for the first term. He had gotten E's in Potions, Transfiguration, and Astronomy, an O in Flying, and A's in the rest of his classes. "These are acceptable marks for your first term," Severus told him. "However, I would like to see some improvement in those classes you received A's in by next term, and perhaps even an O in one or two of the classes with E's."

"Yes, sir. I'll try and bring my marks up. But we don't really do any practical spells in Defense, it's so boring."

"I can tutor you in Defense over break. Meet me in the Defense classroom at eleven AM."

Harry brightened. "That would be great. Uh, should I tell Ron I'm having extra lessons?"

Severus considered. "You may as well. In fact, if he wishes, Mr. Weasley may participate also."

Ron was only too happy to join Harry, and learn some useful spells, even the twins participated on occasion, for a refresher course. The first thing Severus taught them was to always be alert to their surroundings, and to be prepared for almost anything. The first spell he taught them was a Shield Charm, a standard all-purpose spell to repel most curses and hexes.

"A Shield Charm's strength is proportionate to both a wizard's personal magical strength and the level of the caster. Therefore, my shield or Frederick and George's shield will be much stronger than yours, Ronald, and Harry's as well. You can also use it as perimeter spell, to ward off a specific type of magic or monster. There is one spell that a Shield Charm cannot protect against, and I'm sure you can guess what it is."

"The Killing Curse," Ron said.

"Correct. No Shield Charm can deflect it, it is a curse so powerful that it renders all attempts to block it with magic null and void, as far as we know."

"Then how did Harry survive it?" Ron wondered.

"That, Ronald, is a mystery we have yet to solve. For now, concentrate upon keeping your shield up as I cast," ordered the professor, and began to cast minor jinxes at the boys, such as Tickling Hexes and the like.

Harry found the Shield Spell very useful, and wished he had known it when Malfoy dueled him, it might have prevented him from getting his arm broken. Severus was a thorough but strict teacher, making them re-do a spell until they had it right and could cast it without hesitation.

They learned several minor jinxes and their counters also, like the Tickling Curse, the Leg-Locker Curse, which was Ron's favorite, a Stammering Jinx, a Sneezing Jinx—the twins loved that spell, a Butterfingers Hex, and even a Freezing Jinx, which froze a person in place for several minutes.

"You will note that some jinxes—like the Sneezing Jinx or the Butterfingers Hex-aren't all that harmful, but do make the target uncomfortable for several minutes. You do not necessarily have to kill your opponent in order to win a conflict, and usually an opponent is prepared to defend against the more powerful curses, but fails to deflect minor ones. Casting a Butterfingers Hex makes a wand too slippery to hold, as Harry demonstrated, while a Sneezing or Stammering Jinx makes it nearly impossible to cast spells, since you cannot speak correctly. Any of those spells will enable you to flee from a stronger adversary."

"But sir, isn't running away like cowardice?" Ron asked.

"At this stage, Mr. Weasley, you have almost no chance of surviving a duel with a wizard who truly means you harm. There is an old Muggle saying, he who runs away, lives to fight another day. Survival should be your primary concern, not victory. Use your head and the common sense you were born with and you shall survive. In a spell duel, he who walks away is the winner, not the one who risks his neck foolishly."

"Oh. That makes sense."

Severus told them about a standard Disarming Charm, but said it was beyond their capabilities at this time, and he would show them that spell next year. "It's a favorite of any duelist, but it can be blocked, so don't rely upon it exclusively."

After each lesson the boys came away dripping with sweat and aching, but neither complained. They improved little by little, until Harry was confident that next time Malfoy tried to hex him, he could give as good as he got.

In light of the attacks on his ward, Severus constructed a protective charm for Harry. "Wear this at all times, even in the shower," Snape told him. "It shall protect you from most harmful curses and poisons as well."

The pendant was silver, shaped like a shield with a flying raven embossed in the center. When Harry put it on, he felt a cool tingling sensation wash over him. "Thanks, Severus."

"There is no need to thank me. Had I known the way trouble seems to follow you, I would have made one of these for you long ago."

"Better late than never," Skull quipped.

Once Defense lessons were over, Harry was free to spend time with Ron, and most times the boys spent it outside, playing in the snow and wandering the grounds. One afternoon, Hagrid invited them for tea, and while they were sitting at the table, Ron suddenly recalled something.

"Hey Harry, did you ever figure out what was in that package Snape brought back from Gringotts? The one he was so mysterious about?"

Harry shook his head. "No. He wouldn't say. Told me it was top secret and I shouldn't ask questions."

"Hermione and I think it had something to do with the break-in at Gringotts. Those thieves mist have been looking for whatever it was. Maybe Snape hid it somewhere, like in his office. Didn't you say he keeps things locked up in a desk drawer?"

"Yeah, but I'm not going to snoop around in his office, Ron. He'd have a fit."

"Indeed he would, and rightly so, lads. Professor Snape is very private, he is." Hagrid scolded. "Best if you stay out of business that doesn't concern you, what's in that package is top secret and known only to Dumbledore and Nicholas Flamel."

"Nicholas Flamel?" Harry repeated. "Who's he?"

Hagrid looked rueful. "Ah, me and my big mouth. Forget about it, there's naught down that road but trouble."

But of course this only peaked the boys' curiosity.

"I've heard that name before, I know it," Ron said as they headed back to the castle. "I just can't remember where."

"We can look it up in Famous Witches and Wizards of the 20th Century," Harry suggested. Severus had a copy of that book on his shelf and Harry was free to borrow it.

But Flamel's name was not among the witches and wizards listed. They asked the twins, but they didn't recall who he was either. "Somebody famous." Was all either of them remembered.

They had an impromptu snowball fight and buried Ron under a foot of snow. As a result, Ron came down with a nasty cold the next morning. He tried to ignore it and pretend he was fine, but he coughed and sneezed all through breakfast.

"You ought to take a Pepperup Potion and go to bed for the rest of the day," said Percy.

"No, I'm fine," his brother protested.

"I quite agree, Percival," Skullduggery fluttered down to land on the table, speaking in Snape's voice.

Ron scowled. "Well, I don't!"

Skull clucked his beak in reproof. "Mind the attitude! I was sent here to tell you to drink the potion that shall appear on the table and then go straight to bed, no arguments."

At that precise moment, a potion popped up in front of Ron.

"Bed! But I just got up!" Ron argued.

"Or else I shall come over and spoonfeed it to you like a toddler in front of everyone and carry you to bed," Skull threatened in Snape's silky tones. "Which shall it be?"

Ron blanched. "Fine! I'll take it!" He uncorked the vial.

Ten minutes later, Ron was in bed, the Pepperup Potion tended to make you drowsy, and he soon fell asleep.

There was no Defense lesson that day, as Severus was brewing counterdrafts for next term and so Harry was at loose ends. He didn't feel like reading or walking outside, the wind was bitter today and the last thing he wanted was to come down with a cold like Ron. He wanted to figure out who Flamel was, but didn't feel like doing research alone. Bored, he headed up to Gryffindor Tower to see if the twins wanted to play chess, but they weren't around. Sighing, he walked down the row of portraits, and suddenly noticed a door on the right hand side that had never been there before.

Before he could think better of it, he had turned the knob and stepped inside.

The room looked like an unused classroom, filled with scratched up desks and broken chairs and there was a thick carpet of dust upon the floor. Harry walked through it, leaving small footprints. The room was dim, so he lit up his wand. It was then that he saw the large ornate mirror standing off to one side of the teacher's desk.

Harry had never seen anything like it. It had a gold frame carved with flying creatures and across the top was inscribed Erised along with some other words Harry couldn't comprehend. The mirror was taller than he was, and it too was covered with dust. Wishing to see his reflection, Harry dug a handkerchief with the Slytherin crest out of his pocket, it had once belonged to Severus, and began to rub away the dust over the face.

Clouds of dust flew everywhere and Harry coughed and rubbed his eyes, they stung. Finally, all the dust was removed and Harry peered at the mirror.

But instead of his reflection he saw an odd mist, it shifted and swirled, as if it were alive, and trapped behind the glass. A moment later it cleared and he caught a glimpse of himself, and three figures—two he recognized as Severus and Lily and the other must be his father, James. They were standing there smiling, and Lily and Severus had their hands on his shoulders. The image was so lifelike that Harry spun round, expecting to see his parents and Snape behind him.

The room was empty.

"Huh? What was that?" he slowly turned about again to face the mirror. "Must be a magic mirror." He mused. Then he chanted softly, "Mirror, mirror, on the wall . . ."

Sudden light flared and he shielded his eyes. When he could see again, the mirror had a face, it somewhat resembled Lily's and it was staring back at him.

"Oh, please, not that old chestnut again!" the mirror groaned. "You don't know how tired I am of hearing that!"

"You . . . you talk!"

"Well, of course! Though I'll admit, I haven't had a conversation with anyone in a long long time. I've been moldering away in this room for years, forgotten." The mirror sniffed.

"Oh. Err . . . do you have a name?"

"My creator called me the Mirror of Erised and I can show you your heart's desire."

"You can? Then what I saw . . .?"

"Was your own longing for the parents you have lost and the family you wish to have with your guardian," the mirror explained. Then she frowned. "However, there is yet another thing you desire very much. A mystery to be solved. Three questions you may ask. What knowledge do you seek? What information do you desire? Ask, and I shall answer."

Harry took a deep breath. Then he said, "I want to know about Nicholas Flamel. Who he was and what he did."

"Ask , then."

"I just did." Harry frowned. Then it hit him. He had to put it in the form of a question. "Who is Nicholas Flamel and what did he do?"

The mirror smiled. "Is this what you desire?"

"Yes."

"Nicholas Flamel is a famous wizard and alchemist. He discovered the Sorcerer's Stone and the secret of immortality, along with his friend, Albus Dumbledore."

Harry felt a thrill run through him. "What is the Sorcerer's Stone and what does it do?"

"The Sorcerer's Stone is an ancient magical object. It is a deep ruby red in color, made from coreolite crystal, and it was rumored to be created when the universe began, out of a piece of ethereal magic made solid. If a portion of the stone is crushed and drank in a glass of pure water, it can make the wizard or witch immortal. Age will not touch them and so long as they drink the potion every year, death's hand shall be stayed."

Harry gaped. No wonder it had been hidden away. People would kill for such a thing. He quickly asked his last question. "Where is the Stone now?"

"It is here, in the castle." The mirror replied.

"Where?"

"I cannot say." The mirror said. Then the glass went opaque.

Harry tapped on the glass and called for it to come back, that he desired more answers. But the mirror remained dark. "Damn it, I was so close!" he swore angrily.

He remained staring into the mirror for a few more moments, then he left the room and went to wake up Ron, for he had solved at least part of the mystery.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Hope you all enjoyed this one! How did you like the breakfast with Irma and Lena? And the different Mirror of Erised? And the Harry and Sev plushie moment?

I am preparing for Hurricane Irene since it's supposed to hit the Jersey shore later on today. I'm praying we'll all come through okay, but will have to wait and see. I might not be able to get online for a few days, but please leave me a review and I shall read it when I am able! Thanks and to anyone else who is in the path of this hurricane, God bless and good luck!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2341