Nobody's Fool by chrmisha
Summary: When Severus Snape discovers that Dumbledore has been using him in his plans to raise Potter like a pig for slaughter, Snape is livid. What happens when Snape discovers that Potter has been captured by Voldemort? After so many betrayals, with whom will Severus’s loyalties lie?
Categories: Reverse Roles > Healer Harry, Healer Snape, Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Other
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Horror, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Kidnapped
Takes Place: 7th summer
Warnings: Character Death, Rape, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: Yes Word count: 38022 Read: 149751 Published: 31 Oct 2010 Updated: 15 Dec 2012
Chapter 8: Golden Parachute by chrmisha
Author's Notes:
* Updated: Takes place in the spring of 6th year.

In a flash of gold and red, Hermione and Ron popped into being at the same moment as everything around Harry faded to white. Harry was too overwhelmed at the sight of his two best friends to pay much mind to the odd, opaque mist that swirled around their feet and clung to the walls and ceiling.

“Harry!” Hermione screeched, throwing her arms around him in a tight embrace. When she finally let go, her face flushed, Ron shook Harry’s hand and pulled him into a one-armed hug, slapping him firmly on the back.

“Glad to see you’re still in one piece, mate,” Ron said.

Harry grinned, his heart racing at the sight of the two of them. “You too,” Harry said, relief strumming through his veins. His hands twitched at his sides. He longed to reach out and touch his friends, hold onto them, assure himself that they were real and this wasn’t some elaborate trick.

“What is this place?” Hermione asked, shivering slightly as she wrapped her arms around herself.

“Yeah, mate,” Ron echoed. “What’s with the fog?”

Harry was about to say something about Snape when Dobby, seeming to sense his intentions, spoke up.

“You is not supposed to be knowing where Harry Potter is,” Dobby squeaked. “You is only seeing fog so you is not knowing.”

“Yeah,” Harry said, grateful for Dobby’s quick thinking.

Hermione nodded in comprehension, before shifting her attention to Harry. Studying him critically, she said, “you look… healthy.”

“That almost sounded like a compliment,” Harry teased.

“Well, I mean…” Hermione stammered.

“What she means, mate,” Ron interrupted, “is that you aren’t dead, which is what we half-expected.”

You and me both, Harry thought.

“So you can’t tell us anything?” Ron asked, looking around and trying to peer through the mist.

“No, just that I’m safe.”

“Is there anyone else here?” Hermione asked.

Harry looked to the corner where he suspected Snape stood, concealed, but he could see nothing through the opaque mist.

“Dobby is here,” the house elf volunteered.

The three looked down at Dobby, who was quickly becoming lost in the fog. Soon only the tips of his ears would be visible.

“Yes,” Harry confirmed. “Dobby is here with me. He brings me food.”

“Of course he does,” Hermione pronounced. “Thank you for taking good care of Harry, Dobby.”

Dobby preened with pleasure.

“Yeah,” piped in Ron. “He needs someone to feed him.”

“Ron,” Hermione chided, but good naturedly. “We are so glad you’re okay,” Hermione said. “We were really worried.”

“I was worried about you, too,” Harry said, his words encompassing both Ron and Hermione. “How have things been at Hogwarts?”

“Really strange, actually,” Hermione responded.

“Yeah, people keep disappearing. First you and Snape, and then Amarilis Blu from Hufflepuff…”

“That was only because her mother died, Ron,” Hermione interjected.

“…and then,” Ron continued, as if Hermione had not corrected him, “just yesterday, Malfoy vanished.”

“Malfoy?” Harry asked, his curiosity piqued. “Did anyone else go missing with him?”

“Not that we know of,” said Ron as Hermione shook her head.

Thinking he should provide some cover, he said, “Has anyone heard from Snape?”

“Nope,” Ron said, scuffing his shoe on the floor. “But if you ask me, I think he’s joined sides with He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.”

“Ron,” Hermione hissed, “we don’t know that he did.”

“No, and we don’t know that he didn’t,” Ron shot back. “Well, I can’t say anyone misses the git. And potions class is a lot more tolerable now that he’s gone. Even Neville has managed to brew a couple of acceptable potions.”

Harry cringed at the insult, knowing Snape could hear every word. He looked to Hermione, only to notice her watching him sharply.

“Harry,” she said, as if just figuring something out. “Why are we here?” After a moment’s pause, she added, “Not that we aren’t happy to see you, we are. It’s just that…”

“Yeah,” Ron voiced. “Hermione’s right. You need our help with something, don’t you? That’s why you brought us here.”

Harry surveyed Ron and Hermione, who both looked eager to be of assistance. “Well, not exactly…” he stammered.

Harry looked to Dobby, whose orb-like eyes now seemed to be floating almost eerily on the cloud of rising mist.

“Dobby must take Mr. Weasley and Miss Granger back to Hogwarts now,” Dobby said in his high pitched voice, holding out his a hand to each of them.

“Take care of yourself, Harry,” Hermione said, embracing him tightly once more.

“You too,” Harry said, inhaling the scent of Hermione’s hair. It reminded him of Hogwarts, of nights studying in front of the fire in the Gryffindor common room, of being “home.”

“Yeah,” echoed Ron, “It’s right boring without you,” he said, slapping Harry on the back before giving him a brief hug. “No offense, Hermione,” he added.

“None taken,” she said, rolling her eyes as she reached for Dobby’s hand. “Bye Harry, we miss you, take care of yourself,” Hermione said.

“Yeah, what she said,” Ron added, reaching to take Dobby’s hand.

“You too,” Harry said with a nod. “And be careful…” he added urgently, but it was too late. The pop of disapparition rang through the air, marking their departure.

The second they were gone, the mist vanished, revealing a sour looking Snape standing, arms crossed, in the corner. “Satisfied now, Potter?”

Harry stood rooted to the spot, unable to speak for the unexpected tightness in his throat and the emptiness in this heart. While seeing his friends had proven that they were alive and well, it also made him realize how much he’d miss them and how lonely he was. He made his way to the couch and sank down into it, his head in his hands, feeling equal parts relieved and conflicted.

A pop of apparition heralded Dobby’s return. “Miss Granger and Mr. Weasley are back in their beds, sir,” Dobby reported.

“And they will not speak of this to anyone?” Snape inquired.

“No,” Harry answered, even though he knew the question had been directed at Dobby. “They can be trusted.”

Harry saw the look of doubt that crossed Snape’s face but disregarded it. He knew his friends would never betray him.

“No, Professor Snape, sir,” Dobby echoed. “They understand Harry Potter is in danger, sir, and they assured me they would not speak of it to anyone, sir.”

“Very well. Thank you, Dobby. Your services are much appreciated.”

Dobby bobbed up and down on the balls of his feet, clearly delirious with happiness at the praise.

“Potter, off to bed,” Snape commanded.

Harry pushed himself to his feet, walked the few short steps to his room, and collapsed on his bed. He was asleep before he even had time to think about clearing his mind.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2364