Dream Walker by JAWorley
Summary: Nightmares at night have kept Harry awake for so long that he can no longer keep his eyes open during class. Potions Master Severus Snape is determined to teach the sixth year some respect.

In response to the ‘Sleeping During Class’ challenge by Jan_AQ.
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Snape Equal Status to Harry > Foes Snape and Harry, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Ginny, Hagrid, Hermione, McGonagall, Neville, Other, Pomfrey, Vernon, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Injured!Harry
Takes Place: 6th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Physical Punishment Non-Spanking, Profanity, Romance/Het, Violence
Prompts: Sleeping During Class
Challenges: Sleeping During Class
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: No Word count: 30922 Read: 180369 Published: 28 Nov 2010 Updated: 23 May 2012
Balance Of Power by JAWorley
Author's Notes:
A relatively fluffy and angst free chapter to help you recover from the last chapter. Has not been proof-read yet. You have been warned.
"We will each need a witness," Severus said in a whisper as he leaned in conspiratorially towards Harry, who was still lying in bed in the Hospital Wing. Harry on his part was feeling much better now that he'd been in the Hospital Wing over the weekend.

"Ron and Hermione," Harry said. "And Ginny."

"Even with the way Mr. Weasley feels about me?"

Harry nodded. He wasn't sure what must have happened over the Christmas Holiday but Ron seemed much more on his side of things. He had a feeling it had to do with Ginny. She always understood. "He'll be ok. What about you?"

"Hm." Severus leaned back in his chair, arms crossed. Normally he would have had Albus be a witness, but considering the circumstances, he felt it would be better to do this in secret. He felt that the aging headmaster sometimes lost sight of the human part of Harry and saw him only as a means to an end. Dumbledore would not want to give up his control over Harry, even though he was the one that first suggested that Severus take the teen home for Christmas.

"Minerva," Severus finally said. Yes, he trusted her. She might not like the idea of him adopting Harry, but he knew she would not run to Albus with the news.

"When will we be able to do this?" Harry asked.

"You cannot leave the Hospital Wing until tomorrow morning, but I can have the adoption agent come by this evening. If you are amenable, I will round up your friends."

Harry reached over to the nightstand beside his bed and scribbled a note to Ron. "Give Ron this and he'll come up."

"What does it say?"

"You can read it," Harry said, setting his quill down.

Severus raised a brow, and unfolded the parchment. "Come quick. My Firebolt is on fire!!!!" He looked to see Harry grinning.

"As you wish," he said, and then stood up, straightening his robes. Severus gave a look around the empty ward to be sure Madam Pomfrey was not listening in on their conversation, and then hurried off. Harry put his hands behind his head and waited, unable to keep the grin from spreading across his face. It was less than ten minutes later that Ron came bursting through the Hospital Wing doors with his wand out and a wild look on his face.

"Where is it?" He asked. He saw Harry grinning though, and dropped his wand. "Very funny Harry. I can't believe Snape helped you prank me."

"Just imagine the pranks he can help us pull off," Harry said as Ron came over to occupy the seat the Professor had recently vacated.

"What d'you mean?"

"We could outlive Fred and George's reputation," Harry said with a smile. When Ron just raised a brow, Harry let his face grow serious.

"He wants to adopt me Ron. He asked me the last day of Christmas break. When he thought I was saying no, he got upset. That's why he was being a git the last couple of weeks."

"Blimy Harry! I wish your Firebolt were on fire!"

Harry snorted. "Ron, we each need witnesses," he said seriously. "You're my best friend, even when you're choosing not to be. I want you to sign the paperwork with Ginny and Hermione."

With a pained look on his face, Ron surveyed Harry just to be sure it was really him. "You really want to be his son? Just think Harry, just look at all the chores my mum makes me do... all the groundings. You know Snape will be worse. He won't let you get away with anything. Seriously mate. It'll put a cramp on our rule-breaking lifestyle."

With a sigh Harry nodded. "Maybe, but I want what you have. I want a family. Besides... maybe he'll help us pull something over on McGonagall one of these days."

"You think?"

The Hospital Wing doors opened then to reveal an unsure looking Hermione and Ginny, who hurried over to Harry's bed.

"Professor Snape said you needed us for... paperwork?" Hermione asked as she conjured a chair and Ginny sat down next to Harry on the bed. Hermione seemed uncertain.

"Adoption paperwork," Harry confirmed.

Hermione and Ginny looked at Ron, expecting him to explode, but Ron only said, "It could be worse. Harry's Firebolt could have been on fire."

"Boys," Hermione said under her breath, but it only made Harry smile wider.

The Gryffindors talked for another twenty minutes before the Hospital Wing doors opened again to admit Severus, Professor McGonagall, and a man wearing a haggard set of robes with a patched elbow. Professor McGonagall looked as stern as ever, but though she pursed her lips, she said nothing against the ceremony aside from to ask Harry if this was really what he wanted. The answer was yes.

"Relation to the witnesses?" The wizard named Jenkins asked.

"These are my best friends," Harry said. Then he looked at Ginny and boldly said, "And my girlfriend." Ginny promptly turned red as she looked Harry in the eyes, but then nodded, and the adoption agent marked it down on his paperwork.

"And your witnesses Professor?"

"Minerva McGonagall is a friend and co-worker."

Jenkins spent a few minutes filling out some paperwork, before he began reading a statement to Harry and Snape.

"Harry James Potter, biological son of James and Lilly Potter nee Evans. Do you understand that you are being legally adopted by Severus Tobias Snape, and that he will have all parental and custodial rights over you, including but not limited to discipline, rule setting, control of your family finances, and decision making about your health?"

"Yes sir."

"Do you understand that you will legally be his son, and will become heir to all that he owns, and that this adoption cannot be reversed until you are over the age of seventeen, at which point you are legally an adult in the wizarding world?"

"Yes sir."

Jenkins turned to Snape.

"Severus Tobias Snape, do you understand that as the legal guardian of Harry James Potter, you are charged with his protection, health, finances, education, and overall emotional and physical well-being?"

"I understand."

"Harry James Potter, and Severus Tobias Snape: understanding that you are not being forced into this agreement, and that you may back out of the adoption at this point in time, you may sign on the dotted line if you agree to these proceedings."

Severus took the pen and paper and signed his name before Harry held out his hand for the paper and signed it as well.

"Witnesses for the adopter and adoptee, please sign on the lines below their names, signifying that you are witness to these proceedings, and that both parties enter into this agreement of their own free will."

Harry made a point of handing the paperwork to Ron first, who took it, and with one last look at Harry, signed on the dotted line before handing it over to Ginny. "At least the Firebolt is ok," Harry told him jokingly, and Ron snorted.

When Harry's friends were done signing the papers, McGonagall also signed.

"With these papers being signed and sealed by the adoptellus charm, you are hereby father and son. If Harry wishes to change his first or last name, separate paperwork will need to be filed in person at the Ministry of Magic."

"That will not be necessary," Snape said, and Jenkins nodded, before standing up.

"I'll go and file these directly then, seeing the need for secrecy as it is. No one will be privy to this information until the statute of limitations runs out in seven years and it becomes public record."

"Thank you," Severus said, and he gave a nod to Harry before seeing agent Jenkins out of the Hospital Wing.

"Well Mr. Potter," McGonagall finally said, turning to him and his friends. "If I had not seen it for myself, I would not have believed. It is lucky that Bilby Jenkins is a member of the Order of the Phoenix."

"I don't think that anybody will believe it anyway," Ron said.

"Yes well," McGonagall nodded. "I did not know that Mr. Potter was in the market for a new parent."

Harry suddenly felt a little self-conscious. "I always needed one. He just stepped in and took on the task."

"I see. Well, I do hope you know what you've gotten yourself into, and I wish you the best of luck. There is nothing that can be done to change things now. Good day." She moved off, and Harry wondered if she were upset with him. He hoped not, but if she were then it couldn't be helped.

"Well that was strange," Ron said.

"More like awkward," Ginny concluded.

Harry, remembering that Ginny was there with him and that he had just asked her out in front of everyone said, "So in a few years when we get married, will that make you Ginny Potter, or Ginny Snape?"

Hermione gasped and Ginny lightly hit Harry in the arm then. "Presumptuous aren't you? What makes you think you'll be a good enough boyfriend to hold on to me that long?"

"Or that her brother won't kill you first?"

Harry shrugged. For the first time in a long time he truly felt like things would turn out all right, and he told his friends so.

From the quiet corner of Madam Pomfrey's office, where he had been listening at the door with Madam Pomfrey, Albus Dumbledore was saddened that Severus and Harry had not trusted him enough to oversee the adoption. His greatest desire was for Harry to be happy, and he trusted Severus with both his own, and Harry's lives. They would have had his blessings if they had only asked.

"Thank you for calling me through the floo Poppy," and then he was gone back the way he came, too much on his mind to contemplate without the help of a Pensieve.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Ok, I need to know what you guys want to see after this, or the story is going to be ending rather quickly. If you have ideas for angsty moments, let me know ASAP.

Otherwise, what did you think?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2377