Dream Walker by JAWorley
Summary: Nightmares at night have kept Harry awake for so long that he can no longer keep his eyes open during class. Potions Master Severus Snape is determined to teach the sixth year some respect.

In response to the ‘Sleeping During Class’ challenge by Jan_AQ.
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Snape Equal Status to Harry > Foes Snape and Harry, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Ginny, Hagrid, Hermione, McGonagall, Neville, Other, Pomfrey, Vernon, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Injured!Harry
Takes Place: 6th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Physical Punishment Non-Spanking, Profanity, Romance/Het, Violence
Prompts: Sleeping During Class
Challenges: Sleeping During Class
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: No Word count: 30922 Read: 180356 Published: 28 Nov 2010 Updated: 23 May 2012
Harry Harry Quite Contrary by JAWorley
Author's Notes:
This is a really short chapter.
Feeling a little groggy as he often did after being healed in the Hospital Wing, Harry sat up and rubbed at his eyes in the bright daylight. It was obviously the next day now, and with a look over his shoulder, Harry noted that Goyle was gone. He remembered being woken some time after he'd gone to sleep so that Pomfrey could give him a potion, although he wasn't sure what it was, and remembered McGonagall making a feeble attempt at an apology, but that was it. Snape had been absent through it, Harry had also noted, and was gone now as well. Harry felt empty and wished Snape were there now, although he wasn't sure why.

"Finally awake Mr. Potter? I was reluctant to give you the dreamless sleep last night but apparently Professor Snape knew that you needed it if you've slept this long." Madam Pomfrey hurried over to Harry and ran a couple of diagnostic spells, giving him a warm smile that he did not return.

"Where is he?"

"Who dear? Professor Snape? In the dungeons I imagine. Last night after you went to sleep he made Mr. Goyle tell him everything and today he has nine detentions to oversee. I daresay the dungeons will be very clean after today."

Harry rubbed his eye again. "Oh. Do I still have detention tonight?"

"I'm afraid so, although Minerva did say that you only have one instead of seven, and also that it is to be served with Professor Flitwick as soon as you wake up until dinner. I believe she said to tell you to forget about the essay as well."

Harry stood up and tested the strength in his legs before heading for the door.

"If you feel ill at all, come back. And don't wait to tell someone if you're being bullied around next time either," she reprimanded, but he was already out the door.

It was already four o'clock in the afternoon, and it took another fifteen minutes to locate Professor Flitwick. This would be his shortest detention ever, he thought, and wondered if the nine Slytherins who had been pushing him around over the past week had had all day detention or if theirs had been short as well.

After 45 minutes of dusting the Charms classroom, Harry was dismissed and he made his way down to dinner, where nine Slytherins were still missing from Slytherin table, and where many people were shooting Harry fast glances, as to assess the truth to whatever story they had heard.

"Are you all right Harry?" Ginny asked as he sat down next to her. Ron and Hermione were absent from dinner for some reason.

"Yeah," he grumbled, not feeling in the mood to talk about much of anything at this point. He piled some mashed potatoes onto his plate and began eating, too hungry to get much else onto his plate until he already had something in his stomach.

"It's true then? You beat up Goyle without a wand?" Harry nodded, and those seated around them looked at Harry in awe.

"I heard he just lay there and cried like a baby," said Dean, fishing for more information.

"Who said that?" Harry wondered if perhaps McGonagall had been saying more than was necessary.

"You beat him up right in front of the portrait of Roland the Third. He's been telling everyone who passes by of your bravery."

More like my crazy freak out, Harry thought, face turning red again. "It just happened," Harry said quietly, "and now it's over. Let's just forget about it."

"Ok, I'm just sayin', it's time they got some payback."

Harry was about to tell Dean to drop it again, but just then there was a small explosion across the hall, followed by billows of green smoke at Slytherin table at both ends. Harry turned just in time to see the Slytherins scattering and losing the contents of their stomach all over, which in turn started a chain reaction amongst other tables. Not wanting to lose what little food he had just eaten, Harry grabbed a dinner roll and a handful of baby carrots and left the Hall, many following behind him.

Not wanting to go back to the common room when it would surely be full of ill students, Harry headed instead for the dark, cool grounds and used the time to try and clear his head. He was feeling uncertain and still very empty.

Why should I feel empty, he asked himself. It's not like he'd ever had anyone before, and suddenly Snape brought about thoughts of emptiness, and strangely enough of missing James and Lily, even though he could never remember meeting them. He would give everything to have even just one of them back. He would give more to have them both. And strange enough, he could think of nothing he wouldn't give, to be able to sleep peacefully in the guest room in Snape's quarters again, feeling safe and calm. Truth be told, he wanted to hear the man's calming words to him again, of how he was worth something, how he deserved to be treated kindly.

After an hour, when it was too chilly to continue on without a jacket, Harry headed back inside. The situation seemed to be taken care of as the Entrance Hall was empty and there were no ill noises coming from the Great Hall. He was just at the foot of the stairs when a hand reached out and grabbed his wrist to retain him.

He looked over to find Snape. "Was it you?"

"Sir?"

"The dung bombs. Was it you?"

The hurt that displayed in the boy's eyes was unsettling to Severus, and he let go of Harry's wrist.

"I was in detention," he said quietly, and then went up the stairs, leaving a puzzled man behind.

When Harry was almost back to the common room, he heard a strange noise meant to get his attention, and found Ron hiding behind a large suite of armor.

"Is it all clear now?"

Harry nodded. "It was you, wasn't it?"

"Me, Neville, and Collin Creevy."

"Why?"

"Well, we figured if you could stand up to them after what all they've done to you, then we should too."

Tired again, despite the long sleep he'd already had that day, Harry said, "Don't do that stuff because of me. People from other houses got sick too. Half the hall was throwing up, even some Gryffindors."

"Well they deserved it. Its just too bad Snape wasn't there to get sick too after all the detentions he's been giving you."

"Ron, just give it up," Harry said quietly. "Snape's been helping me with potion so I can sleep, and he's the reason I got out of a week's worth of detentions last night."

"What?" Ron said, unbelieving. "There's no way that git would help you. You must be delirious. He's a slimy, ratty, stupid old-" he stopped when Harry put a hand on his chest in warning to stop the tirade.

"I'm not joking," Harry said, "lay off."

Watching his friend carefully for a moment, Ron asked cautiously, "So what, he's you're head of house now?"

As he walked off, Harry said, "No. Just my friend."

Ron gave his back a disgusted look, but Harry didn't care, and kept walking.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Comments?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2377