Somnum Aeternum by Whitetail
Summary: Harry has no idea what is happening to him or why he cannot remember anything from the past year. But Snape knows what is going on, and he can't tell Harry.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: Snape is Secretive
Genres: Mystery
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 6th Year, 9 - Post Epilogue (middle aged Harry)
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: Yes Word count: 26147 Read: 56767 Published: 04 Dec 2010 Updated: 15 Jan 2011
Solitude and Stone by Whitetail
Author's Notes:
Yay! I finally have the time to update. Curse you homework, curse you!

After a long holiday of solitude, Harry was feeling quite claustrophobic within the crowded common room. He enjoyed Ron and Hermione's company again, but wanted to be alone. He had been hungry however, so he hastily gulped down some food at dinner and  then left the stuffy room to wander the corridors, going nowhere.

Harry had been more confused than ever the past few days, for not only had he quit sleepwalking altogether since Christmas night, but his memories seemed to overlap. Sometimes he would think about something that had happened over the year, and find that he had two memories. An example was of Christmas. He could have sworn he could remember going to The Burrow this year, but he had been at school. It was strange, and he had an odd feeling that his mind had not fabricated the memory, as it was so real. He even recalled Fleur making crude remarks about Celestina Warbeck, Mrs. Weasley's favourite singer. All of his confusion merely added to his feeling of isolation, for he didn't dare confide in Ron or Hermione. He feared they would make him go to Pomfrey who hadn't been overly helpful as of late.

He dodged a group of students walking past by ducking behind a suit of armour. He only came out to continue on his way once they were gone. Harry had absolutely no intention of talking with anyone, which was why he decided to sit in one of the secret passageways. In this case, the one located behind a painting close by the entrance hall. The passage was wide, and ended in a spiral staircase that came out behind a large portrait in a classroom near the dungeons. It was always quiet, and Harry was almost sure he was one that knew about it.

It was a relief when he reached it, and he sighed as he entered the dim tunnel, taking a seat against the wall near the entrance. Smiling at the quiet, he let his mind go blank and just relax. But he didn't bargain on someone else being there.

"Potter?" Draco Malfoy said, having come up the staircase to investigate the footsteps he'd heard.

"Piss off Malfoy," Harry hissed, furious that his hiding spot had been given away.

"Well what if I like it here Potter?" Malfoy spat. "You should get out."

"I'm not going anywhere. Don't make me hex you."

"Go ahead, if you've got the guts!" belted out Malfoy, clearly angry about something.

"Fine!" Harry's yell rang through the passageway as he whipped out his wand.

A loud crunching noise echoed through the tunnel. Tiny pieces of rock rained down on the two teenagers.

"Shit! Be quiet Potter," Malfoy whispered, "Rock's unstable."

Their fight forgotten, Harry motioned for Malfoy to follow him. Softly they tiptoed through the passage and toward the way Harry came in, very aware of the snapping and cracking noises coming from the ceiling. It was going to cave in, like many of the old passageways of the school had before it. 

"Psst!" Malfoy hissed, grabbing onto Harry's shoulder and pointing up at a huge crack that had formed right above their way out.

The arch of stone seemed to wobble slightly. The wood that made up the back of the painting covering the entrance splintered as the jagged pieces of rock shifted once more; a small piece of stone fell from the ceiling and rattled across the floor. Malfoy dragged Harry to the spiral staircase, away from the painting. They were moving as fast as they dared, for cracks had begun to spread like a spider's web across the ceiling and walls, following them. An ominous snap sounded and the long passage began to shudder, walls shaking and floor creaking.

Harry pushed Malfoy from behind to make him go faster, their pale faces shining in the torchlight. And then suddenly, for a moment, everything was silent. Harry hesitated and Malfoy whipped around. He yanked Harry's arm and pulled him on the staircase as the ceiling started to crumble and fall, shaking their very bones as rock smashed to the ground. The two tumbled to the bottom of the staircase, dust and debris following them. Harry tripped, and he couldn't get up for he was unable to figure out where up or down was. Amidst the dust and crashing Harry felt Malfoy grab hold of him and drag him to his feet, pushing him up against a wall. He shouted something, but Harry didn't hear. He put his arms over his head, holding his breath, knowing death was near. But the rumble slowly receded, and the dust cleared. He was alive.

Above him Harry could see a glowing shield had spread out, which had kept debris from hitting them. Malfoy sat next to him, panting with one arm around his head, the other arm outstretched, his wand pointing outward.

"You saved me," Harry said in awe.

"Trust me, I owe you," Malfoy muttered heavily, lowering his wand as the shield flickered and died.

It grew dark now that the shield was gone. Harry conjured up a candle and lit it for light. He pondered Malfoy's statement, which he had not clarified. Harry hadn't the heart to ask what he meant; the look in Malfoy's eyes was dead depressing.

They sat in silence for a few minutes. It was Malfoy who finally spoke.

"Let's get out of here."

"I'm not sure we'll be able to," Harry replied, "Look at the the way the rock's piled up."

Malfoy moaned at the sight before him. The staircase had collapsed, the passageway above totally obliterated. But the worst part was, the exit that should have led out into the dungeons was blocked by a towering pile of rock, a huge slab of ceiling was being held up by it. If they moved it, the rest of the ceiling would come crashing down on them. A common shield charm would do little to protect them from such force.

"I guess we'll be stuck here a while then," groaned the Slytherin, sitting down, back up against the wall. "Does anyone know you wandered off Potter?'

"No. You?'

"Didn't tell a soul. I guess we'll have to rely on your friends to notice your absence then, Crabbe and Goyle are total idiots."

"Glad I'm not the only one that thinks that," Harry said, surprised. "Hang on, do you think someone would have heard the collapse?'

"Potter, everyone's at dinner," sighed Malfoy.

With that Harry sunk down beside him, cursing himself for wandering off, cursing himself for having the Marauder's Map in his pocket and not in his dorm where Ron could access it, and knowing that there was nothing to be done but wait.

***

"Well Potter, we might as well get to know each other a bit better if we're going to be trapped for a while," suggested Malfoy dully after about ten minutes of silence. "Er ...what's your favourite food?"

"Alright, treacle tart, yours?" replied Harry, glad for something the distraction.

"Shepherd's pie. Next question, it's your pick."

"How about ... favourite subject?"

"Do you want me to answer that honestly?" Malfoy said rather uneasily.

"Duh," Harry laughed. Malfoy almost cracked smile.

"Herbology actually," he said eventually.

"Really?"

"No joke. I've always liked plants really, back home I've got a garden. I s'pose people don't associate the name Malfoy and plants a lot. Well, maybe a venomous tantacula."

"I never knew that ... Your turn to ask."

"How about the craziest thing you've eaten for breakfast," Malfoy said.

"Let's see ... I practically ate cake for breakfast the entire summer before fourth year. My cousin was on a diet and my aunt thought it would be easier for him if we all survived off celery and grapefruit too," Harry told Malfoy. "My friends sent me cakes on my birthday, so that was pretty much the only thing I had to eat."

"Your aunt sounds a bit round the bend ..."

"My uncle makes her look sane," Harry rolled his eyes. "So what's the craziest thing you've eaten for breakfast?"

"Well, this one time when I was five I ate a snail because what my father tried to make for breakfast for Mother's day was really gross and I was so hungry," Malfoy laughed. "I ate just about anything when I was little, except what my father cooked."

"A snail!" Harry exclaimed, pulling a face.

"Yes, it was pretty slimy. But it sure beat my father's cooking. Mother considered it a gift after that if Father didn't try to cook for her!"

They proceeded in this fashion for a long time, each learning new things about each other. These things got more detailed, and by the time four hours had passed, the subject of fears came along.

"Deep water," grimaced Malfoy. "I can't stand it, scares the hell out of me."

"I tend to agree," Harry said.

"See, I might not mind it, other than the fact that I can't swim," said Malfoy. "Mother tried to teach me, but I nearly drowned and she didn't let me near the water again."

"My aunt and uncle never bothered to give me swimming lessons," Harry shared. "Probably hoped I'd drown one day."

"Your relatives sound quite charming," said Malfoy sarcastically.

"Even more so in person," Harry laughed bitterly.

"Go ahead, your turn to share."

"Dementors, they're what scare me most..." Harry shuddered.

"Why?" Malfoy asked. "I mean sure, they're right depressing ... but of all things, why Dementors?"

"Do you know what I hear every time one gets near me?" whispered Harry, taking a chance.

"Hermione Granger singing in the shower?" joked Malfoy.

"No ... Mum screaming as she tries to protect me from Voldemort. Sometimes I hear Dad too, telling her to take me and run."

"That's horrible ..." muttered Malfoy, looking quite guilty for joking earlier.

Harry nodded. Silence fell. It was a long time before anyone spoke.

"I'm sorry I made fun of you so much Harry," Malfoy blurted out suddenly. "I'm sorry for everything. I was a git."

"I think it's time we buried the hatchet, you know?" Harry replied slowly, reaching his hand out to Draco. "Equals?'

"Equals." Draco said, grasping Harry's hand and giving it a firm shake.

The End.
End Notes:
I hope you liked it! What do you guys think of Draco? He might be a bit friendlier than in the books but there is a good reason for that and you'll find out toward the end. :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2385