Somnum Aeternum by Whitetail
Summary: Harry has no idea what is happening to him or why he cannot remember anything from the past year. But Snape knows what is going on, and he can't tell Harry.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: Snape is Secretive
Genres: Mystery
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 6th Year, 9 - Post Epilogue (middle aged Harry)
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: Yes Word count: 26147 Read: 56760 Published: 04 Dec 2010 Updated: 15 Jan 2011
The Revelation by Whitetail
Author's Notes:
Harry finally figures it out this chapter! It is a bit shorter than other chapters, but I found it worked better this way.

Minutes went by, sometimes sluggishly and sometimes fast, depending on the conversation. Those minutes turned to hours until seven of them had gone by and day had turned to night. Though it was warm where Harry and Draco were (thanks to a heating charm Harry had placed on a few stone fragments) they could not sleep. They sat still, having talked themselves into silence, fearing still that that any moment the ceiling would come crashing down on them.

"This is stupid, want something to read?" Draco asked Harry eventually, breaking the silence.

"Sure, what have you got?" Harry inquired curiously.

"Just a couple career pamphlets, but they're better than nothing aren't they?" drawled Draco, pulling the pamphlets out of his pocket. "Let's see ... I've got one on Healing, the Ministry, and Muggle relations. Can't imagine you want the last one though ... considering what you've said of your relatives."

"Yeah ... Any others?" Harry said. "None of those really interest me."

"Well, one on careers in Herbology, but that one is mine," Draco told Harry. "How 'bout healing?"

"Alright," Harry shrugged, taking the heavy pamphlet and opened to the first page.

As Harry read, he found that the pamphlet was mostly about the types of healing that were applied at St. Mungo's, the wizarding hospital. It was difficult to pay attention however, for all he could think about was whether or not he would get out of the place he was in. He hadn't realised he'd fallen asleep halfway through the booklet. Draco had drifted off as well.

***

"Draco, Harry, are you in there?" a familiar voice rang through the rock. It was Severus, and his voice shook Harry out of his slumber, though he was slow to move. 

"Yeah, we're ok!" Draco replied gleefully, having been awake for a while already. "Harry, wake up, they've found us!"

"Help is on the way!" Severus yelled through the cracks. "It may take some time to get you two out. I have to go alert Albus, I'll be right back, okay boys?"

Harry opened his eyes, he was sure he was imagining it. So he looked at Draco, who grinned at him. Harry grinned back, it was real.

"See you soon!" Harry shouted as loud as he dared. Footsteps could be heard racing away from them, through the corridor.

"Now we wait," Draco said heavily.

Unable to stand the anticipation and tension, Harry picked up the pamphlet on St. Mungo's he'd been reading before he fell asleep. He thumbed through it and found his place: the section describing the wards and which areas one could specialize in if one chose healing as a career. It wasn't overly interesting. Though a few wards caught his eye. For example, he recognized the name of the one Mr. Weasley had been in. But that wasn't the only one he recognized. There was a name, which he was sure he'd heard before. The pamphlet said it specialized in long term care, specifically comatose patients and those who needed extensive therapy. Harry put down the pamphlet and glanced at thier dying light source.

The small candle Draco had found in the rubble finally went out, and outside he could hear that Severus had brought back the rest of the teachers to help. In the darkness he could hear Draco beside him shouting out their predicament, and describing where the rocks had fallen. Voices filtered through the stone, alerting the boys to the teachers' plan: they were going to reinforce the area holding up the ceiling and make a small tunnel through beside the tower of rock. But Harry paid little attention to this, for he was suddenly pre-occupied with where he had heard of that name before, and sat quietly as the rescue effort progressed. It bothered him, Atta Letromier ... that was the name of the ward. Where had he heard it? Like a lightning bolt it hit him. The dream he'd had. Something clicked within him.

Scraping and clattering noises could be heard as the teachers worked.

Darkness clouded Harry's eyes. The room in he'd entered in his dream, it had had wood panneling. The older St. Mungo's wards had wood paneling. Harry recalled the wording in the pamphlet: The Atta Letromier Ward: for rehabilitation, long term care ...

A crack of light appeared as the rocks shifted.

And comatose patients.

Harry and Draco blinked in the sudden light as Severus pushed the final rock out of the tunnel.

The answer had come.

He was in a coma, and Snape was helping him wake up.

Harry blinked stupidly in the teachers' wandlight, which was shining through the tunnel they had made. He vaguely became aware of Severus pulling both Draco and himself to their feet and brushing the dust off them, on his face an expression that spoke of worry, relief, and anger at the same time. Severus was saying something, but Harry could barely hear through the mist that had gathered within his mind.

"Harry, are you alright?" echoed Severus' voice strangely as Draco was helped out the small tunnel by Professor McGonagall.

Velvety blackness was gathering at the edges of Harry's mind and the world swam before him. He felt the ground waver beneath his feet, and the St. Mungo's pamphlet fall the the floor. And then he fainted.

Severus caught Harry as he fell, picking him up and carrying out the small tunnel and into the torch lit corridor, knowing that Harry had gotten the message at last.

The End.
End Notes:
I hope you liked it. More will be explained in the next chapter. Did any of you guess right? Please review, I would love to hear some opinions!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2385