Somnum Aeternum by Whitetail
Summary: Harry has no idea what is happening to him or why he cannot remember anything from the past year. But Snape knows what is going on, and he can't tell Harry.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: Snape is Secretive
Genres: Mystery
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 6th Year, 9 - Post Epilogue (middle aged Harry)
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: Yes Word count: 26147 Read: 56760 Published: 04 Dec 2010 Updated: 15 Jan 2011
Explanations by Whitetail

"Harry, wake up," came a gentle voice. "That's it, easy now."

Harry started to sit up, but a hand made him lie back down again.

"You've had quite a shock, best take it slow," said the shimmering form beside Harry.

Harry blinked, wondering how he got in bed in the hospital wing. He looked to the man sitting by his bed, and was relieved to see it was Severus.

"You were out for some time," he commented, looking rather relieved himself.

"What happened?" Harry asked, a bit confused.

"You fainted while we were rescuing you and Draco from the collapse," supplied Snape.

"Oh, yeah."

"You figured it out didn't you," Severus said heavily, looking upon Harry solomnly.

"I'm in a coma aren't I?" Harry whispered, tears in his eyes. Severus nodded slowly. "Why?'

"I don't know why," Severus said, hesitantly taking Harry's hand and giving it a quick squeeze. "But I know that you must find a way to wake up."

"Why couldn't you tell me?'

"The news would have been a bit too much to take all at once, and you might have fallen deeper into your coma. It wasn't worth the risk."

Harry nodded, it was some time before he spoke again.

"Severus?"

"Hmm?"

"If I'm in a coma, everything that's happened isn't real is it?"

"Your mind has fabricated much of what has happened, if that is what you mean."

"And Ron and Hermione, and the Ginny here, they aren't real either."

"They are not. Once again, your subconscious has created them from what you recall."

"Does that mean you're not really here? That you're just a figment of my imagination too?" Harry said after a moment, sounding almost fearful.

Severus paused a moment, looking thoughtful before he replied: "What does your heart tell you Harry?"

"Well ... That you're real, but that wouldn't make sense."

"Often what is thought out and reasoned with the mind is not entirely correct. But follow your heart Harry, and it will never lead you astray," Severus told him wisely.

"You sound like Dumbledore," Harry said, astonished.

"You can't possibly believe I made that up myself Harry?" smirked Severus. "Albus told me that once."

"Why did he tell you that?" Harry asked curiously, energy returning to him.

"Because I was being a moron," Severus said a little shortly.

Harry wished very much to ask what Severus had been being a moron about but was smart enough not to.

"Are you feeling better now?" asked Severus.

"Yeah," Harry told him, sensing a change of subject. "But how will I, well, wake up?"

"I have theories, and some knowledge on the matter," Severus began. "It will take a long time to explain ..."

"I'm listening," Harry assured him.

"I know, but I would prefer if Poppy couldn't overhear," clarified Snape, glancing over at the matron, who had recently bustled in and bestowed a rather stormy look upon Severus all the while muttering about rude behaviour; it was clear he hadn't asked to come in to visit Harry. "Why don't you get some rest and come by my quarters this evening so we can discuss it?"

"Alright," Harry sighed. "Do I have to stay here, or can I go back to my dorm?"

"Why don't you ask Poppy?"

"No, absolutely not Mr. Potter, you are staying here!" said the Madam Pomfrey sharply as she walked over to them. "You've been through a terrible ordeal."

"But Madam Pomfrey-" began Harry, distraught.

"See you this evening Harry, and do try to listen to Poppy," Snape said, rolling his eyes at Harry's grouchy expression and ignoring the scathing comment shot at him by the matron concerning his own listening skills.

***

When Harry had finally been released from beneath the watchful gaze of Madam Pomfrey and finished supper, he made his way down to Snape's quarters. It had taken some time to convince Ron and Hermione that he had to go finish an essay in the library so that they would return to the common room rather than follow him. Thankfully however, Hermione had believed his homework story and they let him be.

"Well that's good, some color's returned," Severus said, scrutinizing Harry's appearance as he made him sit down.

"I'm ready for that explanation you were talking about," said Harry impatiently, clearly wanting to get to the bottom of things. "Can you finally tell me why I was sleepwalking all the way to the forest?"

"Yes," Severus said. And he began.

It took a long time for Severus to list of the numerous theories and facts that he had gathered from sources he wouldn't say. According to him, people who fell in to a coma generally had an area in their dream-world called a "waking point' which allowed them to return to reality and wake up, the problem was finding it. Severus believed that this was why Harry had been sleepwalking, and that his waking point was somewhere near that stream in the Forbidden Forest. The thing Severus didn't understand, was why the waking point wasn't open for Harry the other day, and why he had stopped sleepwalking to it since that night at the stream.

"Well, could the ... Portal thing have been closed because I didn't know I was in a coma?" inquired Harry once Severus had talked himself into silence.

"Interesting theory," muttered Severus. "While I don't think that is quite the case" -he rubbed his nose thoughtfully- "I think it merits another trip down there, this time with you awake. Perhaps you were merely sleepwalking down there in to find your waking point so you know where it is when it opens."

"I'm okay with going back, but you don't think the aches will keep getting worse, do you?"

"I do not know. I had thought that the pain was increasing as you were getting closer to your destination, your reality that is, seeing as the pain most likely comes from the injuries you have sustained in the real world. But now that you have stopped sleepwalking, and you have not experienced any aches, even near the grounds,  I have begun to wonder whether or not ... You are slipping deeper."

"Maybe I'm just healing, in ... the real world I guess." Harry suggested hopefully.

"It shouldn't have been so sudden though ... the pain to leave in a day like that," Severus frowned, eyebrows knitted. "Are you sure you have not felt any pain since the night you reached the stream?"

"Yeah, positive." Harry said.

"Peculiar," said Severus. "Now, I suppose you have a few questions?"

"Loads."

"Fire away then."

"First off, you know how I said I have been remembering two things at once lately, of the same day or event. Like how I can remember going to the Burrow this Christmas and staying at Hogwarts?" began Harry.

"Yes."

"Those memories are real right? The ones that seem older I mean, like the Burrow."

"Yes, it is the recent memories that have been fabricated Harry," responded Severus.

"Why am I remembering them now, why not before?'

"Well, there has now been more time for things to trigger your memory. That is probably why it didn't start right away. Now, if I remember correctly, you told me earlier in the year that you have had similar episodes like this, but of memories that do not overlap with others?"

"Yeah, like the one where Hogwarts was all wrecked," Harry informed him.

"I think you are slowly gaining back some of the stronger memories you have temporarily buried, good and bad."

"I'm fine with the good ones ... But that day when Ginny appeared again and I saw in my head how Hogwarts was all ruined and the grounds were covered i-in ..." Harry rambled, eyes widening and voice growing fainter as he tried to express the horror he had recalled. "Severus, there were dead bodies ... Everywere. Please, that can't be a memory, can it?" he pleaded.

Severus' look gave the answer. "What all did you see?"

"Ginny ... She was kneeling next to a girl, and people were carrying away the dead in the distance," he whispered heavily. "I don't remember why it was happening, but everything just felt hopeless. I wish I could forget it."

"There are many who feel the same way Harry, you are not alone."

They were silent for a few minutes.

"Do you have any more questions?" Severus asked eventually, glancing at the clock.

"Yeah actually," he began, pushing his thoughts aside. "If I'm creating this place in my mind, how come I can't control things better? Why couldn't I have just wished for the secret passage not to cave in on Draco and I?"

"I am afraid it isn't that easy Harry," chuckled Severus. "Besides, everything happens for a reason. Any more questions?"

"No, I don't think so." Harry said, pondering Severus' reply.

"Alright but if you have any others don't hesitate to ask," Severus said before making as suggestion. "Before you go to bed, what do you think of going down to the stream tomorrow night? Seeing as you look awfully tired and today has been eventful enough. Besides, you have school tomorrow."

"Okay," Harry said, stifling a yawn. "As for school, at this point there doesn't seem to be much point in going to class ..."

"You will go regardless of what is happening to you." Severus said sharply. "You never know what you might miss if you don't go."

"You sounded just like Mrs. Weasley for a second," Harry grinned "Better watch it or you'll end up wearing flowery aprons and bothering me to eat more."

"Very funny. Now get to bed before I drag you there myself," Severus threatened, pointing to the door, which Harry reluctantly dragged his feet toward.

"Thanks for answering my questions," Harry called toward the Potions Master, who nodded in reply and sunk down into his favorite armchair. Harry proceeded to open the door and step outside.

"You know, I'm almost getting to like having that brat around," muttered Severus, sounding slightly disgusted with himself.

"I heard that!"

And with the slam of the door shutting Severus burst into peals of laughter.

The End.
End Notes:
I hope that answered more than just Harry's questions. Please review. Thanks to everyone who has been, I appreciate it a lot! :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2385