Season of Warmth by Snapegirl
Summary: Just before Christmas, Harry hears the basilisk again and believes he's going mad. Why else would he hear a voice that no one else can, talking about blood and death? Unable to take the stress, he flees the castle in the middle of a blizzard. Severus Snape follows him and they end up trapped in a cave, along with a very rare creature. Will they survive to see Christmas morning? Will they finally learn to set aside old grudges and impressions and learn the truth about each other? Christmas 2010 fic! Sick!Harry and sick!Severus, AU, mentor/apprentice, COS.
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Runaway, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: Yes Word count: 91167 Read: 99886 Published: 07 Dec 2010 Updated: 04 Feb 2011
The True Heirs of Slytherin by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
the true heirs of Slytherin are revealed and the so is the fate of the basilisk

Harry remained open mouthed in shock as he peered about the Wise One's bulk and caught a glimpse of a most astonishing sight . . . the basilisk weeping! He had never thought to see that, not in a million lifetimes. Who even knew that snakes could cry? Maybe only magical snakes could cry? Even so, the basilisk was crying over the wrong wizard. How had Icefyre mistaken Severus Snape for Salazar Slytherin? Harry quickly ducked behind the Wise One and hissed very softly in Parseltongue, "Is he crazy?"

The Wise One glanced away and answered, **His wits wander now and again, but he is not a slave to madness yet. Centuries of loneliness and longing have caused this to happen.**

**Cousin, make haste, I beg you! His spirit hangs by a thread!** Icefyre groaned pathetically, shaking his head back and forth in denial.

The Wise One looked at him pityingly, then she spoke. **Poor Icefyre! You need not beg me for aid when I would have offered it willingly, especially to a Snake Speaker. However, you must allow my apprentice to approach your heir and administer my special healing draft. Will you agree?**

Icefyre bobbed his head. **I would willingly be spitted and roasted over a fire to save Salazar.**

**No need for such dramatics, cousin. Now hood yourself. My apprentice is another Parselmouth, such as Salazar.**

**As you will.** The basilisk made an odd sort of motion with his head, and Harry saw what he had taken for a ruff similar to the Wise One's about the basilisk's neck was actually a pleated leather hood, similar to one a falconer might use. The basilisk hissed a series of sounds in Parseltongue and the hood suddenly snapped open and slipped over the head of the giant snake, covering the crimson eyes from view, and making him safe for Harry to pass by.

**Hurry, Harry. Time is not your friend.** The Wise One urged.

Harry raced over to Snape's bed and carefully tilted the professor's head up and poured the first few drops down his throat.

Almost immediately, his skin lost the waxen tone and deepened to a normal hue. He breathed easier and swallowed normally. Harry gave him the rest of the precious elixir and when the vial was empty he stepped back and waited. Would it work? Had he been in time? He prayed for Snape to respond.

Ever so slowly, the professor rallied, coming back from the brink of death.

Harry never took his eyes off the figure in the bed, his hands clenched into white knuckled fists.

Behind him the basilisk flicked out his tongue, tasting the air and the scent of the young Parselmouth standing nearby. The green and gold serpent cocked his head curiously. The young one's scent was familiar . . .just like . . .**Morgana!** Icefyre quivered. **You smell like Morgana!**

"Say what?" Harry cried, now totally unnerved. "I'm not a girl!" The basilisk was truly mad after all.

To his shock, he heard the Wise One laugh. **Oh, Harry! He knows that. The lady of whom he speaks of is Morgana Slytherin, Salazar's favorite daughter.**

**You bear her blood, little s-s-snakeling! It's odor is unmistakable.** Icefyre hissed, lowering his head and smelling and tasting deeply of the warm earthy scent that enwrapped Harry like a second skin. **Are you her child then? Why have we not met before? Salazar always brought his children to play with me.**

**Play with you?** Harry sputtered. **He must have been crazy, to let his kids play with a monster. You could have killed them!**

Icefyre jerked up at the accusing tone and protested, **Never would I have harmed them! Salazar created the hood especially for me to wear when they were near. He also made a pair of glasses for himself, so I need not wear the hood in his presence, and he could look in my eyes without fear. They were mirror shades, reflecting the image of what he saw. But they were expensive to craft and Salazar was not a rich wizard, so the hood was best for the children. Did not your mother ever teach you such things, boy?** asked the basilisk suspiciously. He snorted and Harry could feel the serpent's hot breath upon his cheeks. **Or do you seek to trick me?**

Harry backed up, the menace in the basilisk's speech was unmistakable. **No! You don't understand . . .** He looked up at the Wise One for help, then quickly returned his gaze to Snape, who was now starting to breathe deeply and easily.

**Peace, cousin! No one is tricking you. Harry here is Morgana's descendant, her many times great grandson. It is through her blood that he inherits the ability to speak to snakes, like your beloved master.**

"I am?" Harry was totally shocked. "But my dad's family, the Potters, have never been Slytherins, so how could I . . .?" He looked up at the Wise One.

**I shall explain all to you in a moment, but first, look! He awakens!** cried the Wise One.

Harry's eyes darted to the bed, where Severus was just opening his eyes. For a long moment, they were puzzled and unfocused. But then his gaze sharpened and fixed upon Harry.

"Harry."

That was all he said, but that single word made a warm glow spread through Harry. Slowly, he smiled and said, "Professor Snape. Are you . . . do you feel a little better?"

"Yes." He actually felt about ten hundred times better, and wondered what potion Harry had given him to make him feel that way. Only then did Severus look about and then he saw the two great serpents side-by-side. "Great Merlin!"

**S-S-Salazar! You returned to me!** cried Icefyre delightedly. He dipped his great head to inhale more of the familiar beloved scent.

Severus jerked back, alarm and shock written all over him. "Stay away from me!" he cried hoarsely, but did not speak it in Parseltongue, he was too rattled at finding a gigantic venomous snake hovering over him, even if its gaze was rendered harmless.

**Peace, Severus!** soothed the Wise One. **Icefyre would never harm you. You are Slytherin's heir.**

**Harm my wizard? S-S-S-alazar, do you not know me? I am your familiar . . . your companion!** the basilisk sounded heartbroken at Snape's rejection.

Severus gaped at the basilisk. Then he looked at Harry. "Unbelievable! He thinks that I am Salazar Slytherin. But why?"

**I do not think . . . I know! Are your wits wandering?** cried the basilisk, dismayed. **Has the fever stolen your memory from you?**

Severus' eyebrows rose into his hair. "He thinks I'm crazy?"

**It is because of your blood that he believes you are Ssalazar. We sssnakes have always had a keen sense of ssmell. It is the way we identify friend from foe, mostly.** the Wise One explained. **Each perssson has a unique scent, especially Parselmouths. Through the magic in your blood, we can taste and smell those who bear the wisdom of the serpents.**

Severus frowned and thought hard. Would it be prudent to allow the basilisk to believe he really was Salazar? Or would it be wise to tell the great serpent the truth, rather than risk its wrath later when it discovered Salazar was dead? Just how much truth could Icefyre take?

Before he could speak, Icefyre, confused, inquired, **I . . . don't understand. Salazar, you promised you'd return to me when you had saved the family from the evil Inquisitors who were about to burn them. It was your duty, you said, to defend those unjustly accused of witchcraft and condemned to a horrible death. But you promised someday you'd return. . . I waited . . .waited so very long . . . then you sent another in your place . . . a young boy who claimed he was your grandson . . . he had the gift too . . .he stayed and talked with me . . . told me that you had passed the Veil . . . I felt . . . I thought I felt you fade . . .He swore to me that you had been betrayed and that the Muggleborns were responsible. I wanted nothing then save to revenge myself upon those responsible—the faithless miserable cowards!** the basilisk's tail lashed in sudden fury, smashing a few beds across the infirmary where they smashed like ninepins against the wall.

**Hey! Take it easy!** Harry told him, not wanting to get blamed for wrecking the infirmary.

**Peace, cousin, peace! 'Tis long and long ago those things occurred.** The Wise One soothed. **Can you not forgive what happened and forget?**

Icefyre spun on her, his fangs bared. **Forgive those who slaughtered my wizard, my bonded, who protected me as a sssnakeling from those who would have killed me for my fangs and scales? Who would have cut me into pieces for their foul potionss? Monster, they called me, who had harmed none of theirs! Only S-Salazar saved me. Only he was my friend. I sshall never forget . . . or forgive! They all deserve to die!** The basilisk threw back its head and roared in agony. ** Alone . . . all alone in the dark . . . where are you, S-S-Salazar? Where are your children, who used to play with me through the halls? Have they forgotten me? My hunger is great . . . I need fresh meat . . .but there is none in thisss ssstone prison . . .Until he came and freed me, and bade me to hunt the betrayers of Salazar . . .kill . . .kill them all and crunch their bones . . .!**

The basilisk suddenly began to sway back and forth, his voice becoming more and more dangerous, and he hissed an ancient battlecry.

Harry froze, dread stealing through him at the sound of that familiar deranged tone.

The Wise One stiffened, raising her ruff, and prepared to spray the basilisk with a strong dose of soporific mist. She did not want to have to fight Icefyre, but if it came down to it . . .

Severus sat up suddenly. "Stop," he ordered in Parseltongue. "There is no need for you to hunt and kill anyone. Those who harmed Salazar are long dead, their bones turned to dust. Any whom you kill now are innocent of any crime against you. By harming them you shall truly give them cause to label you a monster."

Icefyre halted suddenly. **S-S-Salazar? Is that you? You ssound . . . different.**

Severus drew in a deep breath.

**Be careful, S-Severus S-Snape,** the Wise One hissed in warning.

Snape acknowledged the warning with a small nod. He understood he must tread carefully, for Icefyre was mad with grief and had been manipulated by a master to believe that all Muggleborns were responsible for Salazar's destruction.

"That is because I am different, Icefyre." Snape spoke slowly and carefully. "I have returned, in a fashion, though not as you once knew me. The boy that visited you before, and freed you to hunt Muggleborns, did he tell you his name?"

Icefyre closed his jaws, thinking. It was hard to remember . . . there were gaps in his memory . . .but finally he dredged up the memory of that glorious day. **He smelled like you . . . only there was something . . .not right about him . . .His sscent . . . was like fire and iron . . .the smell of the S-Speaker, yesss, but also sssomething else . . .putrid and cold . . .I did not like it . . . You had never sssmelled thusss, but he called himself your heir, and he had opened the Chamber. He said hiss name was Tom, but he hated that name, and wished to change it. I asked why, when it wasss the name his mother gave him, and he laughed and ssaid, "My mother was a fool, she died wishing for something she never could have, love! I am not my mother, I know that love is for weaklings and there is only one true road to success—power! Ssomeday sssoon I sshall have the power to crush my enemies and all will tremble in fear from me. Will you not help me, Icefyre? Help me on my way to greatness? I released you from your prison, do you not owe me a debt, as Slytherin's heir?" It was true, a debt was owed . . . sso I agreed. . .I thought it was what you would have wished. Was I wrong?**

Severus' jaw tightened. "This will be hard for you to hear, yet I ask that you listen before you react. Will you give me your word not to harm anyone present if what you hear is not to your liking?"

Icefyre dipped his head. **Tell me. You have my sssworn oath.**

"The boy who came to you was indeed related by blood to Salazar Slytherin, however he was not his chosen heir. He sought you out not for your sake, but for his own. He played upon your grief and sorrow and used you to harm those whom he hated. He made you his pawn in his twisted game of power, Icefyre. He is a dark wizard now and he seeks to dominate all the wizarding world."

**Then . . . he does not care for me? He returned . . . gave me leave to hunt as I would . . .he ssaid that he alone cared for me now . . .**

"I am afraid that he lied, Icefyre," Severus said heavily. "The truth is not in him, it never has been. He cares for no one save himself."

The basilisk shuddered. **Why ssshould I believe you?**

Suddenly Harry spoke up, coming out from behind the Wise One to stand next to his professor. "You should trust him because he has never tried to harm you, and because Tom once tried to kill me as baby. My name is Harry Potter, and I'm a descendant of Salazar Slytherin too."

**Listen to him, cousin. He is Morgana's child . . .you remember Morgana, S-Salazar's youngest, who defied him and married a Muggle boy, a physician?**

**Of course. S-S-Salazar loved her best of all, even though sshe defied him.**

"And did Salazar ever suggest that you hunt and kill Morgana's Muggle husband?" asked Severus.

The basilisk shook his head. **No. He belonged to Morgana, and kin ssshall not kill kin.**

**And Harry is Morgana's kin through his mother,** the Wise One reminded him.

"So why would a true heir of Slytherin command you to kill Muggleborns and Muggles?" Severus queried. "Do you not see, Tom lied to you? He attempted to kill Harry, who was kin to him. When that failed, he turned against those he considered inferior and unworthy, those born of Muggles, and used you to do his dirty work."

"He lied and made you into his personal assassin, killing people who had never hurt you or Salazar," Harry clarified.

**Innocent people,** the Wise One added.

Icefyre hissed in anger and regret. **I am no man's plaything! To be bid to sslay and not sslay like a tame dog! Rotten little goat turd! S-s-s-aa! Tricked, am I? Where is the respect I once had?**

"It is here, among us," Severus replied. "I am not your Salazar, but through me his spirit lives on. I am his direct descendant, through his eldest daughter, Theodora, who married Ambrose Prince. Harry and I are your true heirs. We would never coerce you into harming innocent children. We would have you live out your life in peace, here or in the forest, as you choose."

**How do I know you sshall keep your word?**

"Because, like my honorable descendant, Salazar, I will give you Wizard's Oath." Snape answered.

"And so will I," Harry added.

Icefyre hesitated. He slowly inhaled the scents of the two wizards. He knew that they were not lying, as Parseltongue did not allow it. Now that he thought back, he could recall Tom telling him about those Muggles while speaking in the human language. Like the Wise One, Icefyre had learned human speech during his many centuries of life, and could understand it when he wished. For the first time in decades, the ancient basilisk recalled the dreadful bargain the young wizard named Tom Riddle had tricked him into. Oh, he had been so clever, so very sympathetic, but he had lied. And that was one thing Icefyre did not tolerate. **S-s-so, S-Salazar is truly gone?**

"He is. I am sorry for your loss, but he has been gone for centuries."

The huge serpent let out a soft groan. He could feel the truth in Severus' words. It was a truth that scoured to the bone and made him ache, but in his heart and blood he knew that Salazar was no more. **I had hoped . . .but no . . .the bond shattered when his spirit left this world . . .and he took a part of me with him . . . else I'd not have been duped by a sstripling dark wizard. He hass sshamed me, made me become that which I sswore to never be . . . a monster.**

"It wasn't your fault," Harry said quickly. "I mean, you might have done bad things, but you didn't do them out of evil."

"Harry is right. You were manipulated into harming students."

**Their deaths are still upon my head.** the basilisk said sadly. **I cannot bring them back. All I can do is . . .ssearch out the traitor and destroy him.**

Severus stared at the hooded snake, openmouthed.

Before he could speak, Dumbledore awoke and sat up, staring about him in amazement. "Merlin's starry robe! Severus, you're alive! Harry, you did it!"

Harry grinned. "Hello, Professor! Don't be afraid. This is the Wise One, she's a ruffed golden serpent, and the basilisk is hooded, so he can't hurt you. His name's Icefyre."

"Astonishing! I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes. Two great serpents together! And a Parselmouth." Dumbledore eyed Harry knowingly.

Harry nodded. Then he added, "Two Parselmouths, sir."

Albus' eyebrow went up. "Two? You as well, Severus?"

Severus sighed. He was a little annoyed that Harry had let the cat out of the bag, but supposed it was bound to come out eventually. "I as well, Albus."

"But that's marvelous, my boy! Simple marvelous!" The Headmaster beamed. He looked fondly at his Potions teacher. "Severus, I am so very glad you are well. You were very close to . . .falling into the Veil. Nothing we tried worked and I feared that you were going to pass on." The old man's lower lip trembled and two tears trickled from his eyes.

Severus looked extremely uncomfortable. "Here now, Albus. There's no need to get all maudlin over me, I'm still breathing, aren't I?"

"You are, but even so . . .I almost lost you, my boy."

"There have been a lot of 'almosts' over the years, Headmaster," reminded his chief agent.

"I know. Too many. And I am to blame. This time is the last."

"The last? What do you mean?" asked Snape sharply.

"What I said. I am through putting you in danger, Severus. And you as well, Harry. I beg your forgiveness for my blindness and promise that I shall do all in my power to keep you safe."

"I am not a child, Albus!" Severus said stiffly. "I can look after myself."

"Can you now?" the other demanded sharply. "Then why did you not see a Healer when you first returned from the forest?"

"I was not aware that my condition warranted one," answered the potions professor defensively.

"You are too stubborn for your own good. Next time I shall tie you to your bed and summon a Healer!"

Severus glared at him. "Who says there will be a next time?"

Albus snorted, sounding remarkably like a certain hardheaded professor of his employ. "With you, Severus, there is almost always a next time. You and Harry both conspire to make my heart stop on a regular basis."

"That is your own fault. I have told you time and again, Albus, not to worry about me— "

"And you can keep saying that, Severus, but I shall never listen, because you are worthy of my care and concern, no matter how much you deny it. And if your father were alive today, I would make him wish he were not!" Albus declared fiercely.

"My father?" Severus repeated. "What does he have to do with anything?"

Albus shot him a sorrowful look. "There is no need to hide the truth any longer. While you were feverish . . . you spoke of many things . . ."

"No!" Snape swore. How could he have revealed that? Not even under the Dark Lord's mind probes had he ever revealed his secret shame. Only Lily and Harry had ever known the truth.

"Severus, it is nothing to be ashamed of," Albus began.

Snape cut him off with a look. "Don't," he said through clenched teeth.

"But he's right," Harry said.

"Shut up, Potter!"

But Harry would not be cowed. "That's what you told me. That I shouldn't be ashamed, because I hadn't done anything but survive. Remember?"

Severus gritted his teeth. But he couldn't deny it. He had told Potter that very thing. He drew in a deep breath. "All right. Now you know. It changes nothing. I don't want your pity."

"Ah, Severus. It is not pity I feel for you, but regret. If things had been different . . ." The elder wizard broke off suddenly. "As you say, done is done. But I shall not be asking you to put yourself in harm's way again. Whether or not you like it, I care about you very much, Severus Snape. And you as well, Harry."

"Please, Albus . . ." groaned Snape. "Let us discuss this later."

Dumbledore chuckled, the old twinkle now restored to his eyes. "Very well, I am just glad to have you back." Then he looked at Harry. "Harry, would you please translate my greetings to both of these magnificent serpents?"

Harry chuckled, he loved how Snape and Dumbledore sparred, it was so very amusing to watch the two of them. "I don't have to, sir. Both of them understand human speech perfectly. But I can translate their replies."

"That would be wonderful!" Dumbledore sounded as delighted as a child. "First, I would like to know how the basilisk traveled unseen through the castle and where he obtained that hood?"

**Tell the Old One that the castle contains many secret passages inbetween the walls and also the pipes that bring water are large enough to contain me if I resize myself to fit them. The hood was made for me by my wizard sso I would not be a danger to his apprentices or his children.**

"Very smart of him. But then, from all I have read, Salazar Slytherin was a brilliant man. Very innovative and clever."

**He was the best of all of you.** Icefyre said loyally.

Dumbledore was soon engaged in a lively conversation with Icefyre about the basilisk's origins and his life with Salazar and his family, as well as the other Founders. Harry translated while Severus spoke with the Wise One, thanking her for saving his life.

**No thanks are necessary, S-Severus. I did what any mistress would do for her apprentices-s.**

Severus blushed faintly. "You honor me. And I know of one wizard who would never do what you just did for me."

The Wise One hissed in distaste. **That one is no true wizard. Nor teacher. He foulss the name of wizardry. Though not for much longer, if Icefyre has his way.**

"Will he really seek out You-Know-Who and fight him?"

**There is nothing so proud as a basilisk, my friend. Icefyre does not take such deception lightly. Nor does he forgive. The Deceiver's days are numbered.**

"Maybe. The Deceiver is a powerful wizard. I do not believe he can be defeated so easily, even by a basilisk."

The Wise One snorted. **The basilisk's fangs hold the most potent poison known to man. The merest scratch and he is bound for the Veil.**

"True, but it is getting close enough that will be hard."

**Icefyre knows what he is about. There is no sserpent ssslyer than a basilisk. He is a master at ssslipping through sshadows. And he has a sscore to ssettle, which means he sshall not quit till the Deceiver's bones are crunched inside his gullet. Powerful the Deceiver may be, but no wizard is undefeatable.**

"I know, and yet . . . I would not like to see Icefyre dead."

**It is out of your hands, S-Severus. Icefyre chooses his own path now, as do we all.**

Severus did not bother to debate further, for he knew the Wise One was right. If the basilisk was bent on revenge for Voldemort's betrayal, nothing could stop him. All the Potions Master could do was hope the serpent succeeded. How ironic it would be if Voldemort were killed by the snake he had supposedly mastered?

" . . .and yet you say that he returned here to release you?" Dumbledore queried. "But how is that possible? I would know if he set foot on Hogwarts grounds."

**Nevertheless, he was here. I never forget a voice, and he called me from sslumber and bade me hunt again. He assured me that he would make it sso no rooster's call would harm me.**

"So you heard only his voice? You never saw him?"

The basilisk shook his head negatively.

Dumbledore frowned. "Most strange. I wonder . . .given his predisposition to mind control and magics of possession . . .could he perhaps be working through a medium?"

"Such as another student or professor?" Severus hazarded.

"Exactly. But how or who, I have no idea. Have you noticed anything . . .different in any students lately?"

"No, but then I haven't been myself since the blizzard," admitted Snape grudgingly. "When term begins again, I shall keep a sharp eye out for anyone behaving oddly. One who is mind controlled eventually will reveal it."

Albus nodded. "You're right. That is not something one can hide forever."

**Tom wished to control me. If I am gone, perhaps his hold will sshatter, as I am no longer there to be his pawn.** The basilisk pointed out.

"Where will you go?" asked Albus, alarmed.

The basilisk bared his formidable fangs. **To hunt the Betrayer to the ends of the earth and bring him to justice. A final justice.**

Dumbledore made no comment, simply nodded. It was not how he had imagined things would go when the basilisk had been released, but it was far better than he had imagined. Not only did Harry not have to fight the serpent, but now Voldemort had a new enemy, one that just might prove to be his undoing. "When will you leave?"

**As soon as I have hunted and rested. In a day or two.**

"How will you find him?"

Icefyre laughed, a sound like boiling oatmeal. **Ahh, youngling! That is simple. We are bound by S-S-Salazar's blood, I can track him over ssea and sstone easily. There is nowhere he can go that I cannot find him. And when I do . . .then he sshall know the wrath of Icefyre!**

The great serpent roared and all the wizards covered their ears. Not one of them wanted to be in Voldemort's boots.

Icefyre bid farewell to them soon after, and followed the Wise One from the castle, she had told him she would show him where to find large game to satiate his appetite.

Once the serpents had departed, Dumbledore had the house elves fix some food for them and after eating, ordered Severus to get some rest.

"What are you, Albus, my mother?" groused the reluctant wizard.

"I wish," laughed the purple-robed wizard. "You wouldn't have a hope in hell of disobeying her."

"Humph!"

"Please, Severus, you need to rest. You've pushed yourself to the limit, now be sensible and set a good example for Harry." Dumbledore reasoned. "Don't make me put you on sick leave."

"You wouldn't dare!"

"I would if I thought you were endangering your health," Albus said firmly.

Their eyes locked. Severus yawned, but refused to look away.

He would not give in . . .he would not . . .

His eyes shut in spite of himself and before he knew it, he was asleep.

"Not even stubborn wins over exhaustion," said Albus softly. "Thought you'd have learnt that by now, my boy."

"He did, he'll just never admit it," Harry remarked.

"Too right, my boy. Now, might I suggest the same for you? A good sleep will do wonders for your cold, Harry. And tomorrow or the day after, we can visit your relatives."

"My relatives? What for?"

"So I can speak with them about their abominable treatment of you, of course. And if necessary, make other arrangements for you over the summer."

"Other arrangements? Like what?" asked Harry suspiciously.

"A different guardian, that sort of thing."

"Who?"

Dumbledore coughed and looked pointedly at the man lying asleep in the bed. "Would Severus be acceptable to you, Harry?"

Harry bit his lip, not knowing how to respond. "Uh . . .I . . .well . . .can I take some time and think about it?"

"Of course, Harry. There's no rush. I haven't even broached the matter with Professor Snape as yet. Although, I would like to see you happily settled before the end of the year."

"Oh. Yeah, I guess that would make sense," Harry said. While he would be overjoyed to never darken Privet Drive again, he was unsure if living with Snape was the right thing to do. Even if Snape did understand him best. He didn't want to be a burden on the solitary professor, nor a duty to be endured. He just wanted a place to belong and someone who cared about him, like everyone else he knew. It was what he had always wanted, what he had wished for every Christmas, since he'd been small and realized there was no love to be found with the Dursleys.

He had come to believe it was a forlorn hope.

He glanced down at the sleeping Snape and whispered, "I don't want to push you into anything."

"Oh, Harry! Don't you know by now that no one ever pushes Severus Snape into anything he doesn't want?" Dumbledore said, putting an arm about the boy and hugging him. "Not even me."

"Then . . .do you think he'll want me?"

"That, Harry, is something only Severus can answer. But if I had to guess, I would say he would not mind being your guardian. You are the one person he's allowed himself to be close to since your mother died. And if he didn't desire a relationship with you, it never would have happened. So don't give up hope." He ruffled the boy's hair. "Now then, why don't you change into pajamas and take a nap? All this excitement has probably made you quite tired, hmm?"

Harry nodded, only then feeling weariness sweep through him. Suddenly, the hospital cot next to Snape was looking very good. He quickly drew the curtains round it and changed his clothes. Then he lay down on the bed, telling himself he was only going to take a short nap. He wasn't really that tired, all he'd done was brew a potion, after all . . .

A minute later, the Headmaster heard a soft snore coming from behind the curtain. When he drew it back, he saw Harry sprawled across the bed, snoring away. Albus gently tucked him in as well. Ah, my boys. I hope that all will work out for the both of you. You need one another so much. Pleasant dreams.

He tiptoed out of the infirmary, retiring to his tower room, where he brewed a cup of tea and ate some crumpets with Seville orange marmalade and proceeded to relate what had occurred to his phoenix, who nipped Dumbledore sharply for not awakening him from his nap so he could speak with the Wise One.

"Really, Fawkes, there's no need to get in a snit." Albus scolded, rubbing his stinging ear. "I'm sure the Wise One will be around here often, since here is where her new apprentices are. You may speak with her then."

The phoenix gave a sort of trill, then stole a piece of crumpet and ate it.

Albus rolled his eyes and muttered, "Familiars!"

The End.
End Notes:
So how did you like this one?

It looks like there will be more than 10 chapters, which I had originally planned. I think this may run to eleven or twelve. Does that make you happy?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2387