Season of Warmth by Snapegirl
Summary: Just before Christmas, Harry hears the basilisk again and believes he's going mad. Why else would he hear a voice that no one else can, talking about blood and death? Unable to take the stress, he flees the castle in the middle of a blizzard. Severus Snape follows him and they end up trapped in a cave, along with a very rare creature. Will they survive to see Christmas morning? Will they finally learn to set aside old grudges and impressions and learn the truth about each other? Christmas 2010 fic! Sick!Harry and sick!Severus, AU, mentor/apprentice, COS.
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Runaway, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: Yes Word count: 91167 Read: 99873 Published: 07 Dec 2010 Updated: 04 Feb 2011
Slytherin's Voice by Snapegirl
Author's Notes:
Icefyre tracks Voldemort down

Icefyre had not followed a magical blood trail for centuries. He had been trapped in the Chamber of Secrets, shut in there as much for his own protection as for the students of Hogwarts. Salazar had known that there was much mistrust between some of the students, especially the Gryffindor Muggleborns, and the basilisk. Despite attempts by several of the staff to channel their instinctive dislike and distrust of snakes into a positive tolerance of Slytherin and his familiar, many of the young Muggleborns clung to their childhood fears and teachings that snakes were evil incarnate and the only good snake was a dead one. By extension, Salazar and his family were evil as well, since they actually communicated with the monstrous serpent and revered it. Some of the bolder students had taken to taunting and casting irritating hexes upon Icefyre, most of which bounced off the basilisk, but it was the intent that mattered more than the fact that they did Icefyre real harm. So, for the sake of all concerned, Salazar had opted to shut his familiar within the chamber, which only he could open, until he had returned from his mission.

Except, as fate would have it, he never returned.

And the basilisk remained trapped until Voldemort opened the chamber and released it for a time.

To hunt and destroy innocent children.

It was the one thing that Icefyre would never forgive the one who had styled himself "The Heir of Slytherin".

Icefyre was no one's pawn, and he resented mightily the arrogance of Tom Riddle in thinking he was a mere dumb beast to be used as a tool to kill whomever he wished. As Salazar's familiar, and a thinking creature in his own right, Icefyre had often discussed magical theories and opinions with his master. He had served as a liaison between the wizards and the colony of basilisks that lived in the forest, and among his own kind he was known as "Slytherin's Voice". But after Salazar's death and Icefyre's imprisonment, the truce between wizard and basilisk deteriorated. Wizards forgot that the basilisks had once been allies and attacked and hunted them, labeling them "dangerous creatures", and intent on exterminating them. The basilisks fought, but in the end sheer numbers prevailed, and they were driven out of the forest. Centuries later, there were no basilisks left in close proximity of Hogwarts, save one.

And in his loneliness and isolation he was easy prey for one as manipulative and devious as Voldemort.

But now that Icefyre had been made aware of how he had been used, he would be on his guard and wary at any attempt by Voldemort to convince him to kill anyone. Matter of fact, the only thing Icefyre wanted dead right then was one interfering deceitful dark wizard.

As the gigantic serpent slithered along, guided by his magical link to Slytherin's blood heirs, he recalled with a pang how Salazar used to read aloud to him on windy cold nights, discussing many things, while he relaxed upon the hearth, allowing the fire's warmth to penetrate his skin. How he had loved Salazar's voice—deep and resonant, with perfectly enunciated consonants and vowels, but with a slightly musical air to it—there was no other voice like it and Icefyre never tired of listening to it. Salazar could speak several languages in addition to Parsetongue, they included Norman French, English, Italian, and Welsh. During those cozy winter nights, Icefyre learned to understand them, though he could not speak them.

Salazar's children, all of whom had inherited the ability to talk to snakes, usually preferred speaking Parseltongue or Norman French, which was the language of the nobility, and which they had grown up speaking, due to their mother, Isabeau, a fine Norman lady and earth witch. Icefyre had protected and guarded them since their birth, they had taken their first unsteady steps across the room to touch his glistening scales, and he had taught them their first lisping words of Parseltongue. Since he had eschewed a mate, Salazar's family became his own, and he had loved the young Slytherins and Isabeau fiercely.

But then Isabeau had died suddenly and Salazar's children grew up and left home, until Salazar had only Icefyre and his close friends Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, and Rowena Ravenclaw to rely on. And his students, most of whom distrusted him because he spoke fluent Parseltongue and had a basilisk familiar. The world had changed during the century when Salazar and the basilisk had raised the children, lived and loved and laughed in the castle Salazar had built with the help of the other three Founders. And the changes were not for the better, at least for the basilisks. Or those who championed them. Respect for the serpents and their wisdom had declined and was soon forgotten altogether, as new thinking replaced old tolerances, and the wise serpent became a symbol of evil. The world was suddenly no longer a safe place for a basilisk, even one such as Icefyre.

Icefyre let out a long sigh. I remember the days gone by and yet long for them. But they shall never come again and I must deal with today. I shall not forget, but I must remember my mission—to bring the traitor heir to justice. A final justice, as is meet for those who betray their heritage.

Onward he went, following the long cold trail through the forest and to the foot of a small mountain range, many miles from the castle.

It was a desolate sweep of land, broken only by the occasional scrubby trees and brush, and the howl of the wind. Snow lay deeply over everything, making the abandoned crofter's hut seem like a burial mound, complete with flickering corpselight. The basilisk drifted closer, hissing softly as he smelled the familiar tang of serpent-tinged magic. As he had told Severus and Harry yesterday, his bond with those of Salazar's bloodline had led him unerringly to this spot.

But the wizard known as Voldemort was not alone. Two others were with him . . . no, three . . . he had almost missed one scent because it was so very faint. The faint scent was that of a child, which was most odd, since the basilisk was certain Voldemort had no scrap of kindness or love for children. Icefyre drew near the hut, a flimsy thing made of wood and thatch, redolent with the smell of sheep and woodsmoke, old blood, and dark magic. He cocked his head, pondering the best way to go about confronting the dark wizard, and listened to the conversation between Salazar's corrupt heir and his lackeys.

" . . . thought you'd died in Azkaban years ago!" exclaimed a woman's soft voice.

"If I had, I wouldn't have been able to free you, now would I, Bella?" said a man's more gruff tones. "I escaped Azkaban thanks to my dear old mum, who agreed to substitute herself for me using Polyjuice Potion, she died soon after, making those in charge believe that I was dead too. Much the same as they will think of you once they find you tomorrow morning, all stiff and cold."

Bellatrix giggled, a high-pitched insane sound. "Such a clever boy, aren't you, Barty? The illusion charm on the corpse is the perfect touch!"

"I know. And now my father will lie with my mother, or at least in the same place. Very fitting!" chuckled Barty Crouch Jr. "Serves him right for keeping me prisoner all those years under the Imperius. Goodbye, Daddy Dearest! And good riddance!"

"How did you manage to shake off the curse, pet?" asked Bella.

"Father started becoming lax, convinced that I was half-mad and obedient to his whim. He allowed our house elf, Winky, to watch me on occasion while he went out. I convinced her to lighten the curse, house elves are quite powerful when they wish to be, although their slave-like devotion can become tiresome. Still, Winky was quite useful. Once my mind wasn't totally clouded by my father's spell, I could throw off the curse and I was waiting when he came home. Ah, sweet revenge! As soon as I freed myself, I used the Mark to make contact with the Master."

"Then I told him what he should do to bring me back from the spirit realm." Spoke an even deeper voice.

That voice Icefyre knew, he had heard it last a week ago, urging him to hunt and kill Muggleborns. The basilisk hissed in hatred and spoke the word to retract the hood, allowing his eyes with their deadly gaze to see once more.

Through the broken window, he saw a tall woman wearing a ragged cloak and a black dress that reached to her knees, just brushing the tops of her cracked leather boots. Her hair was a wild black bush, falling down her shoulders in a tumbled mass of curls. Her dark eyes glowed with repressed madness.

She was leaning against a broken table. Seated next to her was a lanky man in his late twenties with sharp features and limp hair of a nondescript blond-brown. He was wearing gray trousers and a button-down shirt and a thick sheepskin coat. His blue eyes shone with a fanatic's fervor as he looked upon the third player in this gathering of evil.

The Dark Lord, for so his followers called him, looked no older than twenty-five, a tall well-built youth with dark hair cropped short and piercing brown eyes, wearing a long robe of black satin triple-lined with green felt, trimmed with sable. But his complexion was an odd waxy color, and when he moved, it was strange, jerky and stiff, as if his body had forgotten how to work. Voldemort gave Bella a thin smile, then went on. "I taught him how to cast the Morte Restorare spell, once he had secured a dead body, and then he reanimated the corpse and I entered it. At first, I was weakened, but once he fetched my special diary along with the girl who found it, I began to gain strength. Soon, once I have absorbed all of her magical life force, I shall be myself once again, as I was before Potter caused the spell to backlash." He flicked a glance at the room's other occupant.

A redhaired girl of about eleven was lying on a faded blue plain blanket. Her eyes were closed and she seemed to be asleep. She was wearing jeans and a pink pullover with a G inside a heart. Resting atop her was a simple black leather journal.

Voldemort's eyes roamed over her greedily and he licked his lips. "So simple, to abduct her from her blood traitor family. They were shopping, a family outing at Diagon Alley, buying some last minute Christmas presents when Barty snatched her."

Barty grinned. "I but live to serve, Master. Taking the girl was easy as stealing a mince tart off a windowsill. I even got a chance to knock out her idiot brother, the one who trains dragons. Would have killed him but I had to get the girl away before the Aurors came. Next time, though, I shan't hold back."

Voldemort reached over and gave the other a friendly smack on the shoulder. "In an hour or so, she shall cease to breathe, and I will have the strength necessary to anchor myself permanently in this body. Then I shall be reborn anew and we can begin the campaign to take over the Ministry."

Icefyre reared back, snarling a curse in Parseltongue. The traitor must not be allowed to go through with his plans. He betrayed all that Salazar and his children believed in, and Icefyre was ashamed that he had ever been taken in by the other's lies. Cheating death by sacrificing a child! Abomination! One way or another, this ends tonight.

Icefyre curled up, preparing to strike, and then heard a soft hissing query coming from the other side of the hut. He whipped his head about and saw a very large cobra slithering towards him, plainly returning from a hunt to judge from her distended stomach.

**Great One, what do you do here? Have you come to see my master, Voldemort? I give you fair greetings. I am Nagini.**

**Greetings as well, Nagini. Yes-s-s, I am here to sssee your master. You are his familiar?**

**I am,** she declared proudly, drawing herself up.

If snakes could frown, Icefyre would have done so. He did not want to battle the cobra, but sensed that if he attacked her wizard, she would come to his defense. Unless he could persuade her otherwise. **Are you aware, s-s-sister-in-s-scales, that your master uses dark magic this night to preserve his own soul? Does it not bother you?**

**Why s-s-should it? Those he s-s-slays are his enemies and deserve death.** the cobra answered indifferently.

**He s-s-seeks to s-s-slay a child!** Icefyre pointed out sharply. **You do not think killing innocents is wrong?**

Nagini seemed unruffled. **Humans! They've killed enough of s-s-serpent kind over the years. What's one less human child in the world? That one's family has other offspring.**

**Can one child replace another? Would you not grieve if you lost a hatchling, even if you had another?**

**That is different. What does one human matter to you, Great One? You eat them.**

**No! S-s-some of my kin do, but not I. I used to dwell with human wizards. If your master kills the child, he will bring down the wrath of the Ministry.**

**He cares not. He s-s-shall crush the Ministry,** laughed the cobra. **You shall s-s-see.** With that, she slithered inside the croft, and began telling Voldemort about the basilisk outside.

Icefyre shook his head. Poor blind little snakeling! She refused to see that it mattered when a wizard, even one such as Voldemort, began breaking the laws. So be it. She had cast her lot with darkness, and if she attempted to stand against him, he would kill her.

A moment later, the rickety door to the croft banged open and Voldemort strode outside, wearing mirrored glasses. He gazed up at the gigantic serpent and laughed softly. "We meet again, old friend! Do you remember me? I spoke to you not so long ago. Have you come to join me?" he inquired in Parseltongue.

**I remember you well, Tom Riddle! You deceived me, told me that Salazar would have wanted me to hunt and kill children!**

Voldemort looked puzzled. "But of course he would have! He believed in the supremacy of the pureblood, as I do. I am Slytherin's Heir, it is right that you help me hunt down my enemies and purge the school of undesirable elements."

Icefyre shook his head angrily. **No! You are very mistaken. Salazar did not believe that pureblood was better and he never would have countenanced the harming of a child. You lied to me! You played upon my grief and used me as a pawn. But no longer! I am no plaything of dark magic. You are a false heir, for none who use dark magic may inherit Slytherin's title!**

"What do you mean? I am the heir! I am Salazar's direct descendant through his son, Alexander. I am the last living Parselmouth of pure descent. You cannot deny me!" cried Voldemort angrily.

**Wrong! Yes-s-s, you are S-salazar's blood, but you are not the only one. There are two others who bear his blood also, and they are better candidates than you!**

"Who?"

**Harry Potter and Severus-s-s S-S-Snape! They do not traffic in forbidden magics! They did not attempt to trick me into hurting children! Faugh! You stink of blood and death! Your legacy of destruction is none of mine!**

Voldemort backed up, bringing up his wand. "My legacy is power, and if you join me, you shall share it. Don't and you shall join your old master in his grave."

**So be it!** Icefyre cried, then he roared and struck at Voldemort.

Voldemort Apparated in the nick of time.

Icefyre got a face full of snow and snarled, spinning about.

The dark wizard reappeared to the left side of the hut. "Crouch, Bellatrix, Nagini, to me!"

Upon hearing their master's cry, the two wizards and the cobra shot out of the house.

"'Ware the eyes!" Voldemort called, too late.

Crouch, first to step out of the door, wand out, met the glittering crimson eyed stare.

He just barely had time to scream before he was petrified.

Crouch toppled over into the snow, stiff as a popsicle.

Bella was more wary, keeping a hand in front of her face while she strutted out. "My lord, what's going on? Are we under attack?"

"In a manner of speaking! Kill the basilisk!" Voldemort shouted, casting a fiery curse at Icefyre.

Icefyre shot to one side, unbelievably fast for something so huge and the spell fizzled into the snow.

Bellatrix screamed with laughter and started to cast the Killing Curse.

That spell Icefyre knew as well and he used every bit of his superior speed to snatch Bellatrix up in his great jaws and bite down hard.

Bellatrix was cut off in mid-word.

Crunch! Snap!

Icefyre shook his head and spat, no way would he eat such tainted flesh.

Blood stained the snow and Voldemort growled in fury.

"Blasted viper! You just cost me two valuable followers!"

Icefyre swung his head about, just as Nagini darted in and took a bite out of him.

Or tried.

Icefyre's scales were like iron and they blunted her fangs. She struck again and again, hissing in outrage, to no avail.

The basilisk ignored her the way a human might a buzzing mosquito. Instead he focused upon the true object of his ire. Since his gaze would not affect the other wizard, Icefyre had to rely upon his lightning quick strike and fangs.

But Voldemort was not defeated so easily. He cast a spell that created doubles of himself and all of them attacked the basilisk. He then Apparated back into the croft and snatched up the limp form of Ginny Weasley and the diary. He placed the tip of his wand at her throat and sneered, "Come and get me now, O Great One! Strike and I shall send a bolt of magic through her that will kill as surely as the Killing Curse."

Icefyre's head smashed through the wall when he heard Voldemort's taunt. Eyes burning, fangs glistening with venom, the basilisk was fit to kill. But he halted an inch from Voldemort upon seeing the hostage he held.

**Coward! Set the girl down and face me!**

"Why? Even in death she serves me well." Mocked Voldemort. One hand caressed Ginny's cheek and he whispered, "Awake, my sweet, and taste the nectar of pure fear."

Ginny opened her eyes, saw the gigantic snake looming above her, and began to scream hysterically.

Voldemort smiled and began to drink in her terror and magic, sucking it away with his touch. His body began to shimmer with eldritch light as he used her lifeforce to grant him the power to destroy the basilisk.

Ginny began to struggle, screaming in agony, writhing against him.

The diary which she had been clutching fell to the ground.

Nagini spotted it and darted forward. She knew the diary was Very Important to her master.

She had just closed her fangs about it and whirled to flee when Icefyre lashed out with his tail and swatted her to the ground, pinning her easily.

**Not so fast, little cousin!**

Nagini writhed but could not break free.

Voldemort raised his fist, crackling with purple lightning. He flung it at Icefyre.

It struck the basilisk and the great serpent howled as the magic burned him. Shaking his head to clear it, he cried, **Release the girl!**

"With pleasure!" Voldemort smirked and began to drain Ginny's life away even faster.

"Ginny!" screamed Charlie, swooping down upon a Welsh green. "Leave my sister alone, damn you!" He fired off a Blasting Curse, thinking the basilisk was somehow involved in Voldemort's evil scheme.

A large mound of snow began to slide down towards Icefyre and Voldemort.

Voldemort glanced upwards, grinning like a maniac.

Icefyre saw his chance.

Like a bolt from above, the basilisk struck.

He coiled part of his length about the dark wizard, lifting him up and piercing the back of Voldemort's shoulder with a fang.

Voldemort let out a wail of horror, knowing he was dead inside of a minute, no matter how much power he stole from his unwilling captive. "Nagini!" he hissed to the snake. "Take the diary and flee!" He had not seen that Nagini was pinned by Icefyre's tail on the opposite side.

Icefyre roared in pleasure as the false heir died.

Until the avalanche smashed into him, half-burying him.

"Ginny!" Charlie cried again, landing the dragon and going to dig out his sister. He was unsure exactly what he had just seen, it had looked like Voldemort was fighting a basilisk, but then the basilisk had attacked his sister. Using magic, he dug through the snow and found his baby sister, limp and shaking in shock.

Cradling her in his arms, he lifted her free of her snowy bed. "It's okay, Gin. I've got you." He started to run towards his dragon, wondering why his sister did not wake.

Dazed and confused, Icefyre shook off the snow and stuck his head out. The diary! He had to find it and destroy it. But where was Nagini?

He peered back towards his tail and saw a black and gold snake streaking towards the woods, a small book in her mouth.

Icefyre darted forward, measuring a third of his length as he pursued the cobra.

Charlie yelped as a great green and black length suddenly rose up before him, blocking his path. Gaping, he saw the basilisk chasing something through the snow.

A moment later he saw the basilisk's head dip, biting down upon something and then swallowing it.

Frightened, Charlie halted, still hugging Ginny and wondering how the hell he was going to get out of this mess alive with a hungry basilisk on the loose.

To his astonishment, the basilisk dipped its head again, seizing something in its jaws. Then it turned . . .

Charlie ducked his head, expecting to be petrified.

When nothing happened a few moments later, he dared to peek between two fingers.

The basilisk swayed before him, holding a small black book impaled upon its fangs, and the head was hooded.

"Well, I'll be! Bloody hell!"

As he watched, the book began to crumble and smoke, releasing a terrible stench into the air, until it became dust.

Icefyre spat, shaking his head to clear it.

Charlie gulped. "Uh . . .mind if I take my sister away?"

In his arms, Ginny stirred and groaned.

"Charlie? Oh, Charlie!" she moaned and began to cry.

"Shhh1 It's okay. I've got you." He soothed, hugging her.

Icefyre dipped his head and inhaled the girl's scent. She was weak but she would live. He drew back, slithering off to the side so Charlie could put Ginny on the Welsh green, who was sniffing the snow where Voldemort's body was lying.

Icefyre hissed, **Take her home, boy. She'll need lots of rest and potions, but she'll recover.** Then he darted a look at the dragon, who was just lifting Voldemort's borrowed body from the snow. **If I were you, cousin, I wouldn't eat that.** he warned. **You might die of poison or at the least give yourself several nights worth of indigestion.**

The dragon snorted, but then set the body down at his Keeper's command.

Charlie, now mounted behind Ginny, tapped the dragon's shoulder with his Keeper's baton and cried, "Burn it, Flamestrike!"

The Welsh green inhaled and then exhaled, and dragonfire shot out of his jaws and burned Voldemort's body to ash.

Charlie patted the dragon's neck. "Good job! One less Death Eater in the world." He slowly turned and looked at the basilisk. "If I didn't know better, I'd say you were . . . protecting my sister."

Icefyre bobbed his head in answer.

Charlie's eyes nearly bugged out. "I don't believe it! You're . . .communicating with me?"

Another nod.

"Merlin's ghost! So you weren't going to . . .eat Ginny?"

Icefyre shook his head negatively.

"I've never heard of a basilisk saving a person before. Or wearing a hood. Incredible! I was always taught that basilisks lived to hunt and kill everything. But I guess I was wrong, huh?"

Icefyre hissed in Parseltongue, **Very much so, young dragon tamer. Bring your sister home, with my blessing! Go!**

"I'll take that as a yes. And . . .thank you." He bowed to the basilisk. "If I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes . . .wait till I tell Mum and Dad and everybody!" he muttered, then tapped Flamestrike twice on the shoulder with his baton, signaling the Welsh green to ascend.

As the dragon took off with its passengers, Icefyre watched until they were out of sight. His mission was finished, and the false Heir of Slytherin gone from the earth forever. The basilisk still did not understand what significance the diary had, but the mere fact that Voldemort considered it important had been reason enough to destroy it. He regretted having to kill Nagini, but like her master, she had chosen her path long ago. Besides, he had been hungry.

Icefyre turned and made his way down towards the school, leaving the remains of Bellatrix LeStrange and Barty Crouch junior scattered about in the snow, where they would soon be buried beneath yet another winter blizzard. The only sign to mark their passing was a few wisps of reddish snow and flecks of ash drifting upon the wind.

The End.
End Notes:
Well, there you have it.

Were you surprised at what happened?

Hey, if anyone wants to make me a banner for this I'd really appreciate it. CG's just aren't my thing!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2387