Flat Mate Wanted by Fictiongurl31
Summary: Response to Roommate Wanted challenge by chrmisha. Harry has been in the Muggle world for several years trying for some peace. He has a whole apartment to himself and it seems lonely. He advertises for a roommate. Chaos insuses.
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry, Misc Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: None
Prompts: Roommate Wanted
Challenges: Roommate Wanted
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 2595 Read: 9264 Published: 12 Dec 2010 Updated: 16 Dec 2010

1. The Advertisement by Fictiongurl31

2. The Meeting by Fictiongurl31

3. A Wizardly Discussion by Fictiongurl31

The Advertisement by Fictiongurl31

Flat Mate Wanted.

The headline of the personal column caught his attention for reasons he had no clue about. Severus Snape, as alive as anyone else stared at the headline. Why would such a insignifigent ad catch his attention.

He had been living peacefully in the muggle world for several years since his 'death'. Five years in fact. He had survived Nagini's poison thanks to his beloved potions. He remembered what he had told the students. "I can show you to bottle fame, brew glory, and even stopper death."(Philospher's Stone).

He had never spoke truer words. The potion he used was little known and borderline illegal. The Constoletum potion required nine months to brew. It also required freely given unicorn blood, freely given phoenix tears, and freely given unicorn tail hair. It had taken him nearly a whole year to obtain the ingredients, but the potion would stay fresh for fifty years before expiring.

The only draw back to this was the pain. It hurt having your whole body filled with such pure materials if you had ever practiced the dark arts. And he had. Since childhood and he also had the dark mark while this was happening.

It had worked and he had slipped away quietly while everyone was celebrating Voldemort's demise. He had apperated to Diagon Alley wandlessly. It took a lot more energy but his wand had snapped under Nagini's weight. He had went straight to Gringotts and withdrawed half of his money putting the rest under an false name he would go by from now on. Evan Abner.

The name was chosen based on two things. In honor of the girl he had loved his whole life, Lily Evans. And Abner meant little warrior and was Hebrew in origin. He had purchased a seven compartment trunk, several years worth of Potions ingredients, a pitch black male boobook owl, and several owl order catalogs for various stores, and finally a wand. Phoenix tail feather, Kaya wood, fourteen and a half inches, springy, good for logical arts such as potions, ancient runes, astronomy and Arithmancy. (http://wizardingrealm.net/index.php?showtopic=7791).

He then converted the remaining money into muggle pounds and departed from the Magical World. He had changed his hair to dark brown, had it cut about an inch or two shorter. He had made his nose a little less hooked, and made his skin tan instead of sallow. He had also charmed his voice a pitch lower making his voice deeper. He had also made himself practice being 'nice' to idiots. It had taken several years, but living around rude muggles it became easier.

He shook himself out of his memories. Looking down at the rest of the ad he read.

Flat Mate Wanted

Flat Mate Wanted. Rent is 190 pounds plus half utilities, half groceries. If interested call Syon Tabor. (020)-949-2737 to schedule meeting.

Severus couldn't help it he laughed. A full bellied filled with humor laugh. "What a name." He said once he had finished. He had loosened up quite a bit with his freedom and less stressful job. "Followed by good luck, followed by misfortune. What were the parents thinking?" He asked his owl Fausta. Fausta opened his wings and flapped them several times in agreement.

He looked at the worn threadbare furnature, the yellow stained walls, the ripped and torn carpet and shrugged. What did he have to lose? This place was a dump. He could at least give the person a call.

He picked up the battered phone and punched in the numbers. 949-2737. "Hello, Syon speaking." A cheerfully chirpy voice answered. Snape instantly thought about hanging up. "Hello?" The person on the other line answered again. "I read your ad in the paper." Severus stated as blandly as he could.

"Oh. You want to set up a meeting then?" He asked still cheerful. "Yes." Snape replied. "Uh. How about Valeria's at 65 Gray's Inn Road, in London?" The other male asked. Severus thought about it. Gray's Inn Road was only several blocks away. Easy enough to get to. "That's agreeable." He answered. "Tomorrow at lunch?" The male on the other line asked. "Fine. See you then." Severus answered.

----------------------

Nearly twenty blocks away a dirty blonde haired man hung up the phone. His hair was untidy and any efforts made to correct it were doomed from the start. His emerald green eyes glittered in hope. It had been too long since he had had any contact with anyone besides his landlord and the shop assistant at the grocery down the road. And of course his owl.

His owl, was a small barn owl. Common but very reliable. Her name was Avivit. He had gotten her for companionship before he had quietly left the wizarding world for the muggle one. His old owl Hedwig had died shortly before his seventeenth birthday.

He had caught up on his education and was currently going to college for his bacholors in Languages and in Craft Arts. He cheated a bit with craft arts by using magic. But it was how he paid for everything. He had money in his vaults, sure, but he wanted to make his own way in the world.

He now knew several more languages: Latin, Spanish, French, German, Hebrew, Russian, and Japanese. He also knew several magical languages: Gobbldygook, Mermish, Parseltongue (which somehow stayed with him even after Voldemort's soul piece was gone) and even knew a small amount of Giant which took a long time to find one that knew enough English to help him.

He looked over at Avivit. "We might have a new Flat Mate soon." He told her quietly. She openned her eyes lazily with a hoot then closed them to go back to sleep. Syon Tabor smiled and as a beam of sunlight hit his forehead a paper thin scar in the shape of a lightning bolt appeared for a second before disappearing along with the light.

 

To be continued...
The Meeting by Fictiongurl31

Syon Tabor sighed as he bustled around his apartment hiding all hints of anything magical. He packed his magical stuff into his room and cast a muggle repelling charm. That would do for now. He looked at his owl, Avivit. He stroked the feathers on Avivit's head. Syon picked up his album. It was filled with a black haired male and red haired female with green eyes. James and Lily Potter. His parents. Syon was a fake name he came up with because he wanted to get away from the fame.

His real name was Harry James Potter. He had been trying to get an apartment mate for awhile but no one wanted to room with some one named Syon Tabor. Good luck followed by bad luck was a bad choice for a name. He had been feeling very bitter when he found his friends discussing how to 'get rid of' him after he beat Voldemort. He had immedeatly had the Goblins destroy all of his keys and make new one's keyed into his magical signature.

He then withdrew enough for a couple years and retreated into the muggle world. He took internet courses for his middle school years then after he graduated he applied for several colleges and got in a semi good school. He was currently passing with a B average in all of his classes.

Syon cooed softly to his owl. "Avivit. Sweetheart. Can you hide for awhile? Just until I see who the new roommate is." He asked softly. Avivit turned to look at him with young but intellegent eyes. She cooed back softly before flying out the window to the top of the building.

He looked down at his watch. 11:45. Fifteen minutes to get to Valeria's. He turned and with a crack disapperated to an alley five minutes away from Valeria's.

---------------------------

Severus Snape aka Evan Abner put on a pair of casual clothes. A pair of jeans and a blue tee-shirt that said "Your village called their idiot is missing" He liked tee-shirts that insulted people. He had always wore black as Severus Snape so he wore brighter colors as Evan Abner.

He also had ones that said: "I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person"; "Crossbows don't kill people Quarrels kill people"; "Power corrupts Absolute Power is kinda neat"; "I'm not a minon of evil. I am upper management." ; "Member of the secret order of mad scientists, evil geniuses, and supervillians"; "Bomb Technition if you see me run try to keep up"; "Any fool can complain and most do" and "Oh no... you're going to try and cheer me up aren't you?"

He had spurged on those because he had never wore them when he was younger. He looked at his apartment. He had already magically packed everything just incase.

He turned on his heel and with a crack disapperated away.

--------------------------

Syon sat at a corner table and waited. Several minutes later a man who walked with a graceful stride moved into the open doors of the restraunt. He walked with an unhurried stride and glanced around the cafe. He stopped his gaze on Syon and tilted his head questioningly.

Syon gestured for the man to sit down. The man calmly sat across from Syon. The waitress came over and quickly took their orders of tea and biscuts. Syon sighed slightly looking out into the busy street.

"Hello, my name is Evan Abner." Severus greeted the man politely. "Ah, pardon my manners, Syon Tabor." Harry answered shaking the proffered hand. "So, how big is the appartment?" Evan got straight to business. "Ah, I'm afraid the advertisement was a bit misleading. It's actually two apartments connected when a wall was torn down by the last owner."

Severus looked shocked. A whole apartment for only 190 pounds a month. "Where is it at?" He asked a follow up question. "Its about two streets from here on Phoenix Pl." Harry said a glimmer of amusement playing in his eyes. He thought it ironic he had chosen to live there.

Severus noticed this and filed the information away for later use. "I myself live on Princeton street." Severus said inwardly finding his own street name ironic. He was after all half Prince.

"So do you want to move in?" Syon asked an hour later after a long discussion over tea. The ex-spy nodded. "Tell me the address and I'll meet you there in half an hour." Severus said.

"Its 731 Phoenix Pl. Apartment number 7. I'll see you there." Harry said setting the money down." He turned and walked into an alley way. Evan cast a disallusion charm on himself and followed.

He watched silently as 'Syon' disappeared with a crack of disapperation.

He turned an also disappeared with a crack.

Half an hour later he was at the apartment with all his belongings in his suitcase but his owl who was drawing strange looks. He ignored them and quickly went to the correct apartment. He knocked before opening the door at a quiet "Come in"

Syon stared in shock at Evan as he had an owl on his shoulder. "You're a wizard." Syon said shocked. "As are you." Evan answered. His owl flew off of his perch on the man's shoulder and landed on Avivit's post. Avivit sensing it was okay to come in flew in with a hoot of indignation and landed next to Fausta.

To be continued...
A Wizardly Discussion by Fictiongurl31
Author's Notes:
Oh. My. God. I already have five reviews! Thank you! Incase anyone wonders Avivit means innocent in hebrew and Fausta means lucky in Spanish (its supposed to be a girls name but the owls a boy. Whoops)

Both wizards stood facing each other. What were they supposed to say now? Their roommate they thought was a muggle was actually a wizard. The ackward silence drug on for several minutes before being broken by Avivit's loud "WHOO" Both men turned to look at her. She puffed up her chest snobbily like she was a wonderful pet. She was but not as much as she was acting.

Fausta looked at his fellow owl and shook his head in a disapproving manner. Avivit saw this and puffed up in indignet anger. Fausta looked even more disappointed before flying over to land on his owner's shoulder. Avivit glared at the black male owl before landing on her own owner's shoulder. They stood there, Avivit glaring and Fausta ignoring her for several more minutes before both of their owner's sighed in exasperation.

"Avivit. Why don't you continue the staring contest outside? We want to move and you could be at this for hours." Harry as Syon asked. Avivit tured to look at him innocently. "Don't know why I named you Avivit. You are anything but innocent." He trailed off talking loud enough for everyone else but not talking to anyone.

"Fausta go outside and beat her at staring contests." Severus aka Evan said not even giving the owl a choice. Fausta threw a offended look at his owner before flying out the window only seconds ahead of Avivit who screeched in irritation at being beat.

"So who are you really?" Harry asked breaking the ice. Severus looked at him alarmed. "I can detect glamour spells." He answered before Severus could ask how he knew. "You first." Evan insisted quickly. Harry didn't look surprised in the least.

Evan had to stop himself from gaping as the blond color hair darkened to black and a thin lightning bolt appeared over Syon's brow. "Potter." Severus breathed in shock. He took a stumbled step backwards sinking onto a black couch that had jumped forward to catch him. (Harry had inchanted the furnature to do that after he came home exausted one time and missed the couch completely when he fell down to rest.)

Evan sighed as he waved his own wand over his face lossing the glamours. Harry also stumbled backwards in shock, a green armchair jumped forward and caught him before he colapsed completely. "Snape. Everyone thinks you're dead. You Slytherin. You complete an utter Slytherin. You planned to save yourself." Harry was shaking his head in admiration.

"Completely and utterly brillant." Harry declared sinking back into his chair. Severus relaxed into the couch. "You took it better than I though you would in the two minutes I had to think about it." Severus admitted.

Harry grinned bitterly. "Nothing can surprise me after I caught my best friends planning how to off me and steal my vaults." He told the man. Snape looked properly horrified. It was the greatest insult you could do to a wizard. To kill them for money. Worse than the insult of Mudblood or snapping a wizard's wand. It was saying he wasn't worth anything and he didn't deserve the money he had.

Severus looked properly at the young man before him. His hair was several inches longer and fell to his shoulders. His hair was more tame but still wild at top. His face had wrinkles from worrying and laughing. His eyes were still like Lily's but he no longer looked like a clone of his father.

As Severus was looking at Harry, Harry was also studying him. He had never seen Severus Snape wear anything but black. The shirt's sarcastic comment of "Your village called their idiot is missing" really fit Snape's personality. And as he got a closer look. The man's hair wasn't as greasy as they had thought it was in school. It looked much more taken care of.

They both sat there in silence for the rest of the night thinking about how their lives had changed so much in such a short amount of time.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2393