Victus per Reproba Monumentum by firefly5151
Summary: A package is sent to Severus 16 years after Lily's death. Its contents reveal he and Harry have been living a lie. Will they both come to accept the truth and one another or will they continue to live the lie?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: Hermione, Remus, Ron, .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 34 Completed: No Word count: 177089 Read: 150628 Published: 08 Jan 2011 Updated: 06 Jun 2012
Chapter 17 by firefly5151

As Severus walked in to Dumbledore's office, he was greeted with the sight of Remus sitting in one of the chairs by the desk, looking completely worn out. "Lupin," he stated, somewhat civil.

"Severus," Remus responded, and slouched a bit further into his chair. It was two days after his transformation and he hadn't fully recovered.

Severus walked over and sat down in the other chair at the desk, and waited for the Headmaster, ignoring the man sitting next to him.

A few seconds later, Dumbledore walked into the room and sat down. "Good afternoon. Glad you both could make it."

Severus resisted the urge to roll his eyes; like he could ignore the Headmaster when he requested a meeting.

"I trust you both know why I have called you here." At Remus and Severus' nod, he continued. "I am afraid I have some bad news. I have been unable to find someone to take in Mr. Potter over the two week holiday. It's too short of a notice for some, and others don't want to put their families in danger by having Harry stay with them. They all think the Dark Lord will be after him." He sighed and looked at the two men in front of him. "I feel I may have run out of ideas."

Living with his real memories until Monday morning proved very distracting for Severus while listening to the Headmaster. His feelings since switching his memories were greatly different. He didn't have the same loathing for Harry as he often did. As such, he felt himself being seriously concerned about the predicament that was now facing Harry. "Why can’t one of the professors take him? What about letting him stay at Order headquarters?" he questioned.

"That is what I was getting to next. Unfortunately none of the professors can take him. He can stay at headquarters, but I do not want him there by himself." Dumbledore turned his gaze to Remus, knowing Severus would put up a fight if he asked the man his next question. "Remus, I have a favor to ask of you."

"Yes headmaster?" Remus questioned tentatively.

"I know you already have plans this holiday, but would you mind canceling them and staying at headquarters for the two weeks with Harry?"

Remus looked at the headmaster with a hint of disappointment. He had really been looking forward to spending his holiday in France with Tonks. But Harry did mean a lot to him and he would do anything in his power to help him. "Well, I did have plans. But, I guess…I guess I can change them to be of assistance to Harry. Just so you know, he will definitely not be happy about staying in that house for two weeks."

"He couldn't handle the two days he was there before term," Severus interrupted, without his usual malice. He then looked up into the surprised faces of Remus and Dumbledore. The two were definitely not used to hearing Severus speak of Harry without being condescending. Severus realized why they were surprised, but ignored it. He looked directly at Dumbledore. "You should just be aware of what you're getting into by having Mr. Potter stay in that house for a long period of time."

"I am fully aware Severus. Thank you for your concern."

Severus raised an eyebrow in response. The old man had no idea what he was doing. He didn't know why he was saying what he was about to say, but he couldn't help it. "Headmaster, I do not fully know the extent of the wards you are erecting around the castle, but is it necessary for the boy to be gone the entire two weeks? Wouldn't one week be sufficient? The less time the boy stays in that house, the better for everyone."

Dumbledore looked at Severus in thought. "You are right Severus. It won't take two weeks for the wards to be erected. One week shall be plenty. He can stay here for the first week and go to headquarters for the second."

"Thank you Severus," Remus said to Severus, completely surprised at the thought. "Headmaster," Remus began, "I would like to be the one to tell Harry, after I change my holiday arrangements. I think it would be best coming from me."

"Thank you Remus. I think that would be best."

Severus sat there staring at the two in disbelief. Did they really think the boy would go to that house quietly? Even if it was only one week? After what he witnessed while watching him before term, he knew the answer to be no. As Remus and Dumbledore discussed when Harry would be told, Severus came up with a solution to Harry's problem, but at the moment, he didn't want to voice it. He needed some time to think on it and to seriously think about the boy's reaction to the solution. He let the two finish their discussion, then broke in. "I still think you are making a bad decision Headmaster."

Dumbledore looked over the rim of his glasses. "If you have a better solution, Severus, please…enlighten us."

"I do. Possibly." Severus couldn't believe he almost voiced his solution before he thought about it. "I just need to think about it."

"Well, if you do come up with something, please let the two of us know as soon as possible."

"You will be the first to know." Severus rose from his chair. "Now, if you will excuse me, I must head back to my quarters. I have many things to attend to."

"Of course Severus," Dumbledore said. "Have a good evening."

Severus nodded to Dumbledore, quickly looked at Remus, and left the office.

~SH~

Professor McGonagall took her spoon and clanked it against her water glass to quiet the Great Hall for the Headmaster.

Dumbledore leaned over to McGonagall. "Thank you, Minerva." He then stood up to address the students. "I hope you all are enjoying your dinner this last Monday before the holidays. As a few of you might know, all of you will be going home for the holidays. All preparations for those who were to stay at Hogwarts for those two weeks have also been made. And if your parents or guardians were unable to plan for your presence, other arrangements have been made. I'm sorry if this causes an inconvenience to some of you, but it was a necessary action." Dumbledore stopped talking for a few seconds as the whispering began. "I hope you all have a terrific holiday." Dumbledore then sat back down as the din in the hall became louder.

After the Headmaster took his seat, Harry just sat there staring at the man, his mouth hanging open. He had to spend the two week holiday with the Dursley's? That was not possible. He had planned to spend those weeks here at Hogwarts doing absolutely nothing…sleeping late, wandering the castle and grounds, and spending time with Hagrid. Living with the Dursley's for those two weeks was not part of his plan. There had to be some place else he could go.

While Harry was lost in his thoughts, Hermione and Ron were discussing the possible reasons why everyone had to leave the castle. Thinking that Harry was paying attention to the conversation, Hermione asked him a question. When he didn't answer, she asked him again and shook his arm.

"What?" Harry asked abruptly from being broken out of his thoughts. "Sorry Hermione," he continued at Hermione's look. "I was thinking about something." Hermione nodded, giving him a look that she understood what he had been thinking about.

The subject was then dropped and the three got started on their dinner.

~SH~

Tuesday after all his classes were complete, Harry went in search of Remus. He still wasn't comfortable talking to the man yet, but he was desperate. His first stop was the professor's office. He knocked on the wooden door and was immediately let in.

Harry followed Remus over to his desk and sat in one of the two chairs facing the desk.

Remus sunk into his chair and looked at Harry. "What brings you here Harry?"

"I was wondering if you know where I'm to go during the holidays. I was supposed to stay here because the Dursley's agreed to only have me back during the summer. Where am I to go? Please tell me Professor Dumbledore didn't make plans with the Dursley's and I'm supposed to stay there?"

Remus looked at Harry sympathetically. He had planned on talking to the boy after dinner tonight, since his change of plans with Tonks had been finalized late last night. But since Harry was asking now, he wasn't going to deny he knew anything.

Harry took Remus' expression to mean he was right. "Please tell me I'm wrong. I can't go back to the Dursley's."

"Relax Harry. There's no need to work yourself up. You are not going to the Dursley's."

Harry let out a breath. "Good."

"But I'm afraid you'll hate where you will be staying almost as much as if you were to stay with the Dursley's."

"I doubt that," Harry contradicted.

Remus waited a few seconds before he began speaking again. "Harry, you will be staying the holiday at Grimmauld Place."

"No!" Harry shouted, and stood up from his chair. "I can't stay there. I'd rather spend the holidays down in the dungeons with Snape before stepping foot into that house again."

"Calm down Harry."

"Can't I stay with you?" Harry asked, almost begging. He would do almost anything to not have to stay in that house.

"You will be staying with me Harry. I will be staying at Grimmauld Place with you."

Harry wasn't comforted at all by what Remus said. "Why do you have to stay at…at Grim…at that house with me?" Harry asked, not able to say the name of his godfather's home. "Why can't I stay with you at your place?"

"I would love to have you stay at my place, but Order headquarters is the safest place for you. I want you to be safe Harry. But, the good news is, you get to stay here for the first week. The second week of the holidays is when we'll be going to Grimmauld Place."

Feeling slightly relieved that he wouldn't have to spend the entire time in that dreadful house, he took a deep breath and relaxed in his chair. "Ok," he said gloomily.

After watching Harry relax, Remus decided to spend a few more minutes talking to Harry about his classes.

~SH~

Harry shakily stood up from the cold stone floor of Severus' office. He wiped a hand across his sweaty forehead and dropped down in the chair behind him. He looked up into the eyes of the potion's master and was met with an odd look. Not understanding why the professor was looking at him like that, he dropped his eyes and grabbed the Occlumency book he was to read for a bit during his lessons with Snape.

While Harry was reading the book, Severus was trying to get a handle on his emotions. Having lived with his real memories for the past few days proved to be very difficult. When he awoke on Monday morning, he was actually dreading the minute he had to remove his memories. But knew it was currently necessary.

Having lived with the knowledge that he had been married and had a son gave him the greatest feeling in the world. Even though that son was Harry, he felt very proud of the boy. He only wished that the day he could destroy his altered memories and live with his real ones was now. He wanted so much to be a father. It was a dream he'd given up years ago, but now that the truth was out there, he couldn't wait to be a father. As Severus raised his wand to his temple to remove his memories that morning, he made the decision to tell Harry the truth sometime before the year was over.

Severus was still thinking about Monday morning when he was broken out of his thoughts by Harry.

"Well Professor?" Harry asked again when the professor made no move to answer him.

Severus glared at Harry. "What do you want?" he asked slightly irritated at being drawn out of his thoughts.

"Sorry sir," Harry stated at the tone and look Severus gave him. "I just wanted to know if we were done for the night or if you wanted to try one more time?"

Severus stared at Harry for a few seconds before grabbing his wand and motioning for Harry to stand. He stood as well and raised his wand to Harry. "Legilimens." As he entered Harry's mind, Severus wasn't quite so sure why he was searching for certain memories, but he felt it absolutely necessary.

...Harry at nine years old opening his Christmas gift of a wire hanger wrapped in a garbage bag...Harry having to stay outside all Christmas day doing chores while his family enjoyed their holiday dinner...Harry being locked up in his cupboard while his relatives celebrated the holiday...Harry opening his first real Christmas gift his first year at Hogwarts...three-year old Harry crying while his uncle yelled at him that Santa never visited freaks and he would never get any presents from him...

Before the next memory fully surfaced, Severus found himself back in his office breathing rapidly while Harry was lying down on his side on the ground shaking. Severus walked around the desk to his chair and sat down. Harry had yet to rise but had moved to a sitting position on the floor with his back to Severus.

Instead of saying anything to the boy, Severus just let him sit there. No doubt Harry was embarrassed and perhaps a little ashamed at the memories that had been seen. An uncharacteristic move from the man, Severus said nothing to Harry and went to retrieve some essays to grade. He would let the boy have some time to compose himself.

After grading two essays, Severus looked up to see Harry had yet to move. He cleared his throat and put the quill in his hand down. "You are improving Mr. Potter."

Harry's head jerked up and he slowly stood up and turned to face the potion's master. "Tha…thank you sir," he responded completely shocked. He never expected to hear a compliment from Snape.

Severus acknowledged him with a nod of his head. "I'd like you to spend the remaining lesson reviewing the chapter you read earlier. You may go now. And there is no need to come back until our next lesson on Thursday. Good night Mr. Potter."

Looking at the professor in confusion, Harry began to ask why he wasn't wanted back tomorrow night for his detention. "Thursday sir? I thought I had detention tomorrow?"

"You will only be coming to my office for Occlumency lessons Mr. Potter."

Harry again tried to pry from the man why he dismissed him from all the detentions. "I don't understand sir. I thought there was no getting out of these detentions? Why are you dismissing me from them?"

Raised eyebrows were the only response Severus gave him.

With that being his answer, Harry grabbed his book and walked towards the door. As he opened the door, he thought he had heard the man whisper "because I'm sorry for what I did to you," but realization set in and he knew he had to be hearing things. And he wasn't stupid enough to question if he was right or wrong. He then closed the door behind him and ran up to Gryffindor tower.

Severus watched as Harry left his office. He knew he made the right decision in canceling all the boy's detentions. They were administered unfairly. If it was any other student, he wouldn't have given that punishment so it was only fair that he retract Harry's punishment.

~SH~

As the week went by, Severus' thoughts of Harry began to change. He had been too busy preparing for the holiday break so he never viewed his memories. When the boy's Thursday Occlumency lesson came, Severus was back to his usual horrid self.

"Potter, you are absolutely pathetic," he growled at the boy trembling on the floor in his office. "Get up this instant." He rounded his desk and sat down. "What a waste of my time."

"You told me two days ago I was improving," Harry said as he shakily stood up.

"I was grievously wrong. Tuesday was obviously a fluke. You are as bad as you were last year."

Harry glared at the professor, grabbed his book bag and hurried to the office door, wanting to get away from the man as soon as possible. He didn't care that his lesson wasn't over or what Snape would do once he walked out of that office. He just needed to get away.

Severus yelled out to Harry as the boy opened the door. "Mr. Potter, get yourself back into this office this minute."

Harry ignored the threatening tone of his professor and slammed the door shut behind him.

"Twenty points from Gryffindor for lack of respect," Severus said to his empty office. He sat there for a few minutes before deciding to clean up his office and get an early start on relaxing in his quarters.

As Severus sat in front of the fireplace, he began thinking about the lesson with Harry only a few hours earlier. He felt slightly guilty at the way he behaved towards the boy and then realized why he was like that. He hadn't viewed his memories for a few days and had begun to forget the way he felt about his past and of Harry. Knowing what needed to be done, Severus went to his desk, retrieved the bottle of his memories, and switched them out with his altered memories. He knew he wouldn't have the boy in class for the rest of the week, so he decided to leave them in for the next three days. He felt it was safe enough.

When Sunday morning arrived, and almost all of the Hogwarts students had left the castle for the two week holiday, Severus knew exactly what he needed to do. And because of what had to be done, he removed his real memories, placed them safely in the bottle and returned his altered memories.

~SH~

Truth be told, Severus didn't like visiting the Gryffindor tower, or being anywhere near it. It brought back too many bad memories from when he had been a student at Hogwarts. But, he swore to himself that his feelings were going to change. He admitted to himself that it might take months before it would happen, but he would make it happen…now that he had a real reason to.

He walked up to the portrait of the fat lady, who gave him a questioning look. "What are you…" the fat lady started before Severus cut her off.

"The reason I am here is none of your concern. Please let me in." The fat lady huffed and Severus watched as the portrait door swung open.

He walked through the portrait hole and stopped in the middle of the common room. He was expecting to see Harry at one of the tables or in one of the chairs by the fireplace, but there was no one there. Really needing to find the boy before he lost his nerve, Severus started climbing the spiral staircase to the boys' dormitories. He wasn't sure which one Harry was assigned to, so he was going to have to look in them all.

Reaching the top, and last, dormitory in the tower, he opened the door and stepped inside. His eyes were immediately drawn to one of the beds. Harry was asleep with his glasses lying next to his wand on his bedside table. Severus was a little surprised to see the boy asleep since it wasn't that late, but knew that he did have a tiring day. He secretly went to watch Harry in the impromptu Quidditch game that was played earlier that afternoon with the few students that had yet to leave Hogwarts for the Christmas holiday. They would be leaving that evening.

Not wanting to wake up Harry just to talk, Severus decided he should go back to his quarters and try again another time. But listening to the boy's deep breaths, he couldn't quite leave. In the event Harry wanted nothing to do with him upon learning the truth, he decided to watch his son for a while. It might be the only chance he would ever get. Not wanting to be seen in the event Harry woke up, he quietly walked over to the bed next to Harry's, sat down and drew the deep red velvet curtains around just enough for him to see but not be seen.

Severus watched Harry as he slept peacefully. Since this was the first time he really got to look at him, he could really see the change in his appearance. His face wasn't as round and his cheekbones were more defined. Harry's hair was a little sleeker like his, but took on a more auburn hue like Lily's. He also noticed that Harry's nose was now a combination of both his and Lily's. And even though he couldn't see them, he knew his son's eyes never changed…they were still Lily's. He then wondered if Harry would still need his glasses. Giving a small smile and sighing, Severus couldn't believe that he could have fathered the strikingly handsome boy lying on the bed.

A few minutes later, Severus was startled out of his thoughts by Harry thrashing around and moaning in his bed. He was totally unaware of what Harry was now going through.

Harry's dream had changed from a fun outing with Ginny to something more evil…

…Harry was walking along an indeterminate street in the middle of the night. Following behind him were four men and women all wearing black robes and white masks. Coming to an empty intersection, he stopped and turned around, looking at all his followers.

"Tonight I feel like having fun. This house…" he pointed to a house up the street on the left side, "the one with the immaculate lawn, belongs to someone I believe to be a spy. We should pay him a visit."

He continued walking up to the front of the house. "Alohomora." The door unlocked and opened wide. "I want to have fun first. Then you four can have fun as well." He stepped through the door and into the living room of the house.

Harry watched as a man stood up from the couch and faced him. "My Lord. What brings you to my home?" the man asked Harry.

"You will see soon enough." Harry felt the evil radiating throughout his body as he raised his wand to the man. "Crucio!"

After the screaming died down, he turned to his followers. "Your turn for some fun. But don't kill him." After a few minutes of watching the Death Eaters, he held up his hand. "Stop. That is all for tonight. You may go now." As the Death Eaters left the house, he turned around towards the man and raised his wand one more time. "Avada Kedavra." At hearing a small stifled cry coming from behind him, he turned around and saw a girl about four years old. With a huge smile, he raised his wand to the little girl and repeated the killing curse. Then he started laughing…

Harry woke up screaming and thrashing around in his bed, his blankets twisted around his legs. Sweating and shaking, he brought a hand up to his scar and pressed on it to try and make the pain go away. Unfortunately the blinding pain in his head, along with the final moments of his vision, were making him feel nauseous. Knowing he wasn't going to be able to get out of bed in time, Harry rolled over on his side and vomited on the bed. He was now shaking uncontrollably. He rolled back over so he was lying on his back trying to breathe.

Taking a few big gulps of air, he tried to sit up. His head was still pounding so bad that when he moved, he knew he was going to be sick again. This time, he didn't even have the energy to do more than turn his head.

Severus sat helpless on the bed watching Harry. The urge to go to Harry's bedside to comfort him was extraordinary. But he couldn't move; couldn't let Harry know he was in the room. He could only sit in the shadows and watch.

After wiping tears from his eyes, Harry just laid on his bed for a few minutes, with his fingers pressed to his throbbing scar. Feeling something sticky on his fingers, he removed his hand and saw his fingertips were covered in blood. Knowing better than to move, he wiped his hand on his shirt. A few minutes later, when he felt he wouldn't be sick again, he reached with a shaky hand to his wand on his bedside table and pointed it to his bed. "Scourgify." Slowly, he sat up, brought his knees up to his chest, and wrapped his arms around his knees. He looked around the dark dorm room while he tried to stop shaking. He hated waking up from the visions alone. Then he waited for the pain in his head to lessen.

Severus saw the look on Harry's face as the boy looked around the room still shaking. He could tell he was still in pain…and scared. Sadly, Severus began to wonder how many visions and nightmares Harry had to go through alone these past few years, here and at the Dursley's. If Severus had it his way, Harry would never have to go through them alone ever again.

After five minutes, he watched as Harry got up and slowly went to the restroom. The need and want to stay in the room with Harry was great, but Severus knew he'd better leave while he could. He reluctantly got out of the bed he was sitting on and walked past Harry's bed. Seeing that Harry must have had problems with the cleaning spell he cast earlier, he pulled his wand from his robes and performed the spell himself, then quickly walked out of the Gryffindor tower.

Harry walked out of the restroom a few minutes later feeling a little better. As he walked to his bed, he knew he should go to Dumbledore. The Headmaster always wanted to know when he had a vision. As he got in his bed, he questioned the cleanliness. He didn't think his spell worked that good. He laid his head down on the pillow and decided not to go to Dumbledore. With the way the man treated him all last year, he didn’t think he was ready to trust him again yet. He fell asleep a few minutes later.

Severus entered his quarters in the cold dungeons ten minutes after leaving Harry's dorm room. After sitting in his chair by the fireplace, his thoughts went to Harry and the effects of the visions on him. He knew Harry had visions. That was why he was teaching him Occlumency. He just didn't realize what they did to Harry until tonight. And to be honest, until learning the truth about his past, he didn't want to know and didn't care.

Picking up a book located on the table next to him, Severus decided he would go to Dumbledore tomorrow afternoon to inquire about the vision and to find out how Harry was doing. Harry should have gone to Dumbledore by then. He knew the boy always went to Dumbledore whenever he had a vision.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2418