Victus per Reproba Monumentum by firefly5151
Summary: A package is sent to Severus 16 years after Lily's death. Its contents reveal he and Harry have been living a lie. Will they both come to accept the truth and one another or will they continue to live the lie?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: Hermione, Remus, Ron, .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 34 Completed: No Word count: 177089 Read: 150629 Published: 08 Jan 2011 Updated: 06 Jun 2012
Chapter 3 by firefly5151

Upon entering the bedroom, Harry's eyes were immediately drawn to his bed. The twin bed was freshly made with a midnight blue down comforter and two lighter blue fluffy pillows placed on top; all drastically contrasting with the drab and dreary colors of the walls and floor. Harry guessed that was what Professor Lupin had to take care of earlier that afternoon.

Even though it was the last place he wanted to be, Harry decided he could stay in the bedroom until he could talk with Remus when the Order meeting was over. He hauled his trunk to the front of the wardrobe between the two beds and sat down on his bed. As he sat there, he realized how tired he was and that he didn't feel particularly well. Reluctantly, he lay down on the bed and was asleep almost immediately.

Waking up over an hour later because he was cold, Harry decided to get under the sheet and comforter that he was lying on top of. Lying under the heavy comforter fifteen minutes later, he still couldn't get any warmer. He sat up and looked over to the bed Ron occupied the year before to see if there was a blanket on it that he could take. All he saw was an old lumpy mattress.

Shivering, he slowly bent down to his trunk and got out his wand. He hoped to conjure a blanket from a nearby room. "Accio blanket." Nothing appeared. Figuring there wasn't one nearby, he tried the next thing he could think of. He pulled out a piece of parchment from his trunk and tried to transfigure it into a blanket. All he got was a maroon four inch by four inch piece of fluffy cloth with gold blankets for its pattern. He tried the transfiguration two more times with the same results. He was really starting to get upset.

He sat down on his bed almost in tears. First he got the 'loving' treatment from his relatives, then he had to be reminded of Sirius's death by staying in this blasted house, and now, because of his stupid cold, he couldn’t even get himself an extra blanket to keep him warm. He stared down at the floor, arms resting on his thighs with his hands clasped, as tried to calm down. He was not going to cry over something as stupid as a blanket. As he took in a few deep breaths, he started coughing; deep harsh coughs that made his chest ache. The coughing then started to make his head hurt. As he sat there, he began to realize how bad his cold was making him feel.

Not wanting to bother anyone over something as trivial as a blanket and a potion that could help him feel better, but seeing no choice in the matter, Harry decided to go downstairs and ask someone for help. He got up and slowly walked to the door. Upon realizing how weak and achy he was, he relied heavily on the staircase railing to hold him up on the way down the stairs to the kitchen. He just hoped that the meeting was over and that Remus or Mrs. Weasley were still there. As he neared the bottom of the stairs, he let out a relieved sigh as he saw the kitchen door open and heard voices.

The trek down the three floors to the kitchen had tired Harry out and he began to feel dizzy and even weaker. When he reached the doorway to the kitchen, he walked just inside it and leaned heavily against the wall as he looked around the room. Remus, Mrs. Wealsey, and Dumbledore were standing at the far side of the long kitchen table in a heated discussion. "Professor Lupin," Harry croaked, his throat sore and scratchy. Not getting a response, he tried again a little louder. Remus still didn't acknowledge Harry. He tried to get Mrs. Weasley and Dumbledore's attention but they didn't acknowledge him either.

He was cold and hurt so much, and he couldn't get anyone's attention. Feeling worse by the second, Harry slowly slid down the wall to the floor and just sat there with his arms crossed over his knees, forehead resting on his arms, shivering. He closed his eyes, hoping that would help with the pain.

Severus walked into the kitchen a minute later. "Professor Dumbledore, I…." He stopped talking when he spotted Harry sitting on the floor just inside the doorway. He looked at the three arguing at the table and back down to Harry. "Mr. Potter, what are you doing in here?" he questioned in his usual cold manner. "I guess you can't get it through that thick head of yours that you are not permitted down here when there is an Order meeting in session."

Harry wanted to spit out an angry reply, but he just couldn't. He couldn't think about anything except the pounding in his head and how much it hurt to breathe.

Severus was waiting for one of Harry's usual remarks and was a bit surprised to not get one. "Potter, look at me when I speak to you," he commanded.

Harry wanted to look up at his professor, he really did, but his head hurt too much. He took a breath to speak, but instead began another painful coughing fit.

Severus again looked from the three arguing at the table down to Harry. None of them seemed to notice the boy. As much as he didn't want to help, Severus knew he couldn't ignore the need of one of his students, even if that student was Harry. He began to wonder why he always ended up having to help the stupid brat and, more importantly, why the others hadn’t noticed the boy’s state.

He kneeled down in front of his most hated student. Looking at Harry, he got the same odd feeling he did when he first saw the boy standing at the front door earlier that evening. Noticing he was slightly pale and trembling, Severus placed the back of his hand on Harry's forehead, trying not to grimace at the thought of touching the boy. He guessed he couldn't make any rude comments to Remus this time. It seemed the man was right in thinking Harry might be in need of healing potions.

"Potter, go up to your room." He removed his hand from Harry's forehead and stood back up. "I'll bring you some healing potions in a few minutes." He quickly strode from the kitchen to the drawing room where he had placed the potions earlier that evening.

A few minutes later, Severus entered Harry's room on the second floor only to find it empty. “That boy never listens,” he growled. “Now I have to go play 'hide and seek'. I've got better things to do with my time.” He placed an open-topped box and a blanket on the bed and stormed down to the kitchen.

As much as Harry wanted to go back to his warm comfortable bed after the professor left, he didn't have the strength to get up off the cold stone kitchen floor, or to move for that matter. Instead he just sat there resting his head on his arms, waiting for his lightheadedness to pass. But then he remembered that Severus told him he'd bring some potions to his room. Not wanting to be on the receiving end of the man’s wrath, Harry slowly tried to stand up and head upstairs.

He got as far as getting up and standing almost in the doorway to leave when Severus swept into the kitchen. "Potter, why are you not upstairs like I told you?" he questioned coldly.

Harry looked up at Severus. "Sorry Professor." He coughed a few times and continued, his voice now hoarse. "I was waiting until I didn't feel so lightheaded." He began to head upstairs, but right as he passed Severus a wave of dizziness came over him.

Severus watched as Harry started to sway and reached out to steady him. In the few seconds afterward, with his hands still on the boy's shoulders, the odd feeling he had earlier returned. Contact with Harry made it feel even stronger than before. With a furrowed brow, Severus cocked his head and looked at Harry intently. He saw something vaguely familiar. Something he had seen on himself when looking in a mirror at Harry's age. As Harry began to raise his head to look at him, Severus put on a neutral face.

"Thank you," said Harry, slightly embarrassed, a few seconds after he felt hands on his shoulders holding him steady.

"Can you make it on your own Potter?" Severus questioned, his tone losing some of its normal bitterness.

Harry's face started turning a light shade of red. No doubt the greasy git would now think he was incompetent. Not wanting to give the man the satisfaction, he told himself he could get upstairs by himself…even if he had to crawl all the way up. "Yes. I can make it."

Severus let go of Harry's shoulders and watched as he began the trek upstairs. When he noticed Harry start to sway again while in the middle of the staircase, he quickly rushed to his side. "I knew you were an incompe…." He stopped his harsh comment as he felt the boy lean against his side, instead of the wall, for support. He put his arm around Harry to steady him, though he was a little confused as to why. He couldn’t understand what was going on with him. He shouldn’t care what happened to the boy right now. "Come on Potter, let's get you to bed." He helped Harry up the stairs and into the bedroom.

Even though Harry couldn't stand his potions teacher, he leaned heavily on Severus as they slowly climbed the stairs. As much as he wanted to climb the stairs and get to his room by himself, he knew he wouldn't have been able to. He was grateful for the assistance, though slightly embarrassed. He hoped Severus wouldn’t use this to taunt him while at Hogwarts this year.

Severus removed himself from Harry as they entered the bedroom. He went to the bed, grabbed the box of potions and blanket and placed them on the other bed. "Get in to bed," he commanded as Harry just stood in the doorway not moving.

Harry looked at his professor in confusion. Bright green eyes met the glare of narrowed cold black eyes as he tried to understand why the man was being decent to him. Knowing he'd never understand, he nodded, walked to the bed, removed his shoes and sat down.

Seeing that Harry was obeying him, Severus went to the box of potions and pulled out two vials. "Here Potter," he said, handing one of them to Harry.

Harry took the vial from Severus' outstretched hand and looked at the thick sapphire blue liquid with a grimace.

Seeing the look on Harry's face, Severus anticipated the next words that would more than likely come out of the boy's mouth. "It is for your cough, Potter. It will help clear the infection in your lungs. It also has a sleeping draught mixed with it."

Harry looked down into the vial again before placing it to his lips and swallowing the liquid within. Luckily, the potion didn't taste as bad as he expected. As he handed the vial back to his professor, another one was being handed to him. He looked into this vial and recognized the potion immediately. It was a fever reducing potion. He gladly swallowed this potion and handed the vial back.

Severus took this vial and walked back to the box on the empty bed. He set the two vials inside and pulled out a goblet. "You have one more potion to take Potter. Then you will get some rest."

Harry took the goblet that was handed to him and looked inside. He recognized this one too. "Pepper-Up? Do I really need this professor?" The thought of having to take this potion and to have his teacher see the side-effect was humiliating.

"Yes."

"But Professor, I don't—."

"Potter," Severus warned. The boy had to argue over everything.

"Fine." He swallowed the potion and thrust the goblet back at Severus. "Goodbye, sir," he huffed. He then lay down on his bed, and turned away from Severus.

Severus put the empty goblet back in the box and picked up the blanket. He turned around with the blanket and walked back to Harry's bed, not sure why he cared so much about the insolent boy right now.

Harry had been staring at the wall, listening intently for the sound of the bedroom door closing. Instead of hearing the door squeak on its hinges, he felt the sheet and comforter on his bed being pulled out from under him and placed on top of him. He then felt another blanket being laid over him.

After Severus covered the boy with the blankets, he walked back to the empty bed, picked up the box and went to leave, closing the door behind him.

With the warmth of the blankets and the effects of the sleeping draught he had taken a minute ago, Harry's eyes began to feel heavy. However, he still heard the squeak of the bedroom door beginning to close, signaling Severus was leaving the room. Before it closed completely, he whispered, "Thank you Professor Snape."

Severus was actually surprised for the thanks, but didn't acknowledge the boy until he was in the hall with the door closed. "You're welcome, Mr. Potter."

Having already spent more time in the house than he originally intended, Severus rushed downstairs to the drawing room to gather his belongings. He met Remus, who was heading upstairs, halfway down.

"Severus, what were you doing upstairs?" Remus questioned, thinking that the man left headquarters at least a half hour before. "The meeting was over half an hour ago."

"What do you think Lupin?" he said irritated. "You did ask me to bring some potions for Mr. Potter, did you not?"

"Well, yes. But you said you would just leave them for me before you left."

"Things changed," he offered, not wanting to go into details.

Remus looked at Severus for an explanation. "What things?"

Severus glared at the man, ignoring his question. "Mr. Potter should be asleep until late tomorrow afternoon." Not wanting to answer any more questions the werewolf might have, he continued, "Now if you don't mind, I'm late for an appointment." He turned away from Remus and swept down the staircase, gathered his things from the drawing room, and left the house.

Remus was left standing in the middle of the staircase. He was in complete shock that Severus had been the one to give Harry the potions. He recalled only hours before how the same man repeatedly said he was too busy to make the potions for Harry, and how in the end he agreed only to get Remus to leave him alone.

Chuckling to himself that that man would never cease to amaze him, Remus continued up the staircase. He approached the second floor and started down the hallway. He cautiously walked to Harry's room, doing his best to make sure the floor didn't creak beneath his feet and wake Harry up. After carefully opening the bedroom door and seeing that Harry was indeed asleep, Remus decided to call it a night and went to the room he had claimed as his own for the next few days.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2418