Victus per Reproba Monumentum by firefly5151
Summary: A package is sent to Severus 16 years after Lily's death. Its contents reveal he and Harry have been living a lie. Will they both come to accept the truth and one another or will they continue to live the lie?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: Hermione, Remus, Ron, .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 34 Completed: No Word count: 177089 Read: 150594 Published: 08 Jan 2011 Updated: 06 Jun 2012
Chapter 31 by firefly5151
Severus stood in front of a sink in the restaurant’s restroom. He turned on the tap, cupped his hands under the cold water, and brought the water to his face. Opening his eyes, he turned off the tap. With hands on either side of the sink, he stared at his reflection in the mirror, glad he wasn’t really seeing himself right now.

Luckily the memories he just saw were not full strength. He was somewhat glad that the memories resided in the bottle in his quarters at Hogwarts. He already hated himself for what he did to Harry. What would he feel if the memories resided in him right now?

He then began to feel a little unsettled that he didn’t fully remember the past. Without putting his real memories back, would he soon forget everything and revert back to his old thoughts and feelings of Harry? He hoped not, but he knew it could be a possibility. A possibility he didn’t want to think of right now. Right now he had to think about Harry and the day they were spending together.

Harry. His son. Never would he have thought that he’d care so much for the child; any child actually. Even though he was a professor, he couldn’t stand children. But Harry was different. Harry was his. Part Lily and part him; his own flesh and blood.

Thinking back to the past five years, he wished he could have been there to protect the boy from everything he had to endure at Hogwarts. He shivered at the realization that Harry had come face to face with the Dark Lord every year since he was eleven, and had watched two people die in front of him.

What of his life growing up as well? He now knew Harry wasn’t the spoiled child he took him for all these years. Everything the boy had gone through was his fault; all the physical abuse as well as the mental. Severus began to feel slightly sick.

Severus owed Harry so much. He just hoped the boy would give him a chance. He really wanted Harry in his life…to be the father he never thought he’d ever have the chance of being. Never again would he let Harry endure life’s hardships alone. And never again would he treat the boy as he had in the past. He never wanted to hurt Harry again. Instead he wanted to take away all of Harry’s pain.

He would always be there for Harry. Unless Harry didn’t want him in his life. He did give Harry that option so he knew he might end up having to live without the boy. He closed his eyes and took a long deep breath at that thought. It wouldn’t do to think negatively right now.

With eyes still closed, he blindly grabbed a paper towel from the dispenser in front of him and dried off his face. He slowly opened his eyes and looked in the mirror again. It was time for him to head back out. He had so much he needed to do for Harry and staying here staring at himself wasn’t going to accomplish anything. Throwing the paper towel in the rubbish bin, he left the restroom and went back to their table.

~SH~

A painful knot began to form in Harry’s stomach. He was feeling both miserable and angry. Miserable because he didn’t know what he did to make the professor abruptly leave, as he had been on his best behavior, and angry at the man because instead of letting him know what he did wrong, he just up and left.

Harry then began to feel slightly worried. What if the professor didn’t come back? What was he supposed to do? He had no trouble getting back to Hogwarts. That was easy. It was their lunch. He didn’t have any Muggle money on him. How was he supposed to pay for lunch? How long should he wait for the professor to come back before he should come up with a solution? The knot in his stomach intensified.

He felt so stupid. He couldn’t believe he actually began to trust the professor. And this is what he got for it? He crossed his arms on the table and buried his head in them. Right now all he wanted to do was go back to Hogwarts. He didn’t even care if he never got the haircut and everyone continued to question him on his appearance.

A few minutes later, Harry heard the chair across from him scrape the floor. With slight relief, Harry raised his head but kept his eyes downcast, staring at his crossed arms. He didn’t feel like looking at the professor just now. As he sat there, he fought against asking the one question that had been burning in his mind since the professor abruptly left the table.

Severus had expected questions the moment he came back to the table. He was slightly taken aback at Harry’s lack of questions and lack of any type of acknowledgment when he sat down. Resting his elbows on the table and clasping his hands in front of his face, Severus regarded Harry. Instead of being cheerful like he was minutes ago, the boy looked unhappy. It came as a slight shock to realize he had more than likely caused that emotion in Harry. He knew immediately that he owed Harry an explanation as to why he left like he did minutes ago. He just didn’t want to go in to details on what exactly caused it. It would probably cause Harry to become more upset.

Clearing his throat, Severus dropped his hands to the tabletop. “I apologize for the way I left the table a few minutes ago.”

Harry slowly raised his eyes to look at the professor. “What did I do?” Harry asked somewhat defensively, before he could stop himself. He hadn’t intended to voice that question at all, let alone in that tone.

“Nothing,” Severus answered quickly, and noticed the hurt in Harry’s eyes. He knitted his brow in confusion at the question. “What makes you think you did something?”

“I always do something.” Harry lowered his eyes, grabbed his shake and took a sip, just wanting to forget about the past few minutes.

“Again, you did nothing.” Harry still didn’t look convinced to Severus. “I had just remembered something and needed to take care of it. I am sorry for the way I left. I didn’t intend for my actions to cause you to think you did something.”

The apology, so rare for the man to give, lifted Harry’s mood. “Okay.” Harry took another sip of his shake and set it aside. The knot in his stomach was lessening and he now began to feel slightly guilty for thinking the things he did while the professor was gone. He pulled his plate back in front of him and took a few more bites of his burger. Deciding he wasn’t all that hungry a few moments later, he pushed the burger away again and just continued to periodically sip his shake.

After Severus finished his meal, he noticed Harry’s plate looked pretty much untouched. Setting his spoon in his empty bowl and pushing it to the side, he crossed his arms on the table and studied Harry. Harry had one hand around his shake and the other was rubbing his forehead while he was squinting, as if the light in the restaurant was hurting his eyes. Something seemed slightly off about him. “Harry, are you feeling okay?”

That was not a question Harry wanted to hear from the professor. So far he thought he had been doing a good job of hiding how he felt. He looked up, dropping his hand from his forehead. “I’m fine.” He took a small fry off his plate and popped it in his mouth. He decided he’d better try harder to hide how he was really feeling.

Severus continued to study Harry and decided to let the subject drop for now. “Are you done eating?” He nodded to Harry’s plate.

Harry looked at his untouched food. There was no way he could eat anymore. “Yes. The shake filled me up,” he lied. Then he realized how much food he was wasting. He looked to Severus with alarm. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have gotten so much food. But not knowing how much…”

“Do not worry about it,” Severus said as he held a hand up to stop Harry from apologizing. “It’s all right.”

A few minutes later the waitress came by and dropped the check off in front of Severus. He looked at the check and set some money on the table. Pulling on his coat, he looked to Harry. “If you’re through, I think it’s best if we get your haircut before we continue on.”

“Continue on?” What else did the professor have planned? He thought after the haircut they would go back to Hogwarts.

“I thought you might enjoy spending the rest of the day in London.” He waited expectantly for Harry’s reaction and wasn’t disappointed.

“Really?” Harry now had a huge smile on his face, any trace of his former feelings gone. “I’ve never really been to London. Well, except for when Hagrid picked me up before my first year and then when I’ve been taken to Kings Cross every September.” Harry pulled his jacket on as well then got up from the table. Now he really had to hide how he was feeling. He couldn’t miss London.

~SH~

“We’ll have to wait until we are back at Hogwarts, but I don’t think you’ll have as many questions about your appearance as you have had,” Severus addressed Harry as they walked out of the barber shop forty minutes after leaving the restaurant.

“Great! I can’t wait to see.” Harry turned and looked at his reflection in the barber shop window, even though he just saw himself in the mirror mere moments ago inside. It was still odd to not see himself when looking in a mirror. “Thanks for the haircut by the way,” he added as he turned back to Severus.

Severus nodded. “I thought we could wander down toward the Thames. Unless you have any other ideas?”

“Being as I’ve never really been here before, that sounds good...father.”

“Let’s go then,” Severus stated and led the way back towards Charing Cross Road then down toward the Thames.

~SH~

While walking along the Thames, Harry spotted a boat loaded with tourist listening to a narrator as it slowly passed by. He watched the boat until it was out of sight.

Severus, having been watching Harry off and on their entire trip, noticed Harry watching the boat. “Would you like to go for a tour?” he asked.

Harry tore his eyes from the river and looked to the professor. He really did want to go on a tour, but the man had already spent way too much money on him today. He shook his head. “No. That’s okay,” he responded quietly.

“Don’t lie to me Harry. I can see that you do.” Severus looked up and down the river bank and spotted the pier where the tours were leaving from. “Come on.”

Hating himself for giving away that he really wanted to go on the boat, Harry stayed rooted to the spot he was on and stared at the river, ignoring Severus walking away. He couldn’t help but feel guilty at having the man spend money on him.

Severus walked a few paces and noticed Harry wasn’t walking next to him. He turned around and saw Harry had not moved. He observed the boy for a few moments and having an idea what was going on, walked back over and stood just to the side of him. “Harry.” When Harry turned toward him, he placed his hands on Harry’s shoulders and leaned down so he was eye level. He waited until Harry looked up to him before speaking. “I know that so far today you have probably experienced may things you are unaccustomed to, especially having things purchased for you.” He watched Harry reluctantly nod his head. “You shouldn’t have had to grow up without any of these experiences. I don’t know what all your relatives said or did to you, but these are just some of the things you will always have from now on. These are all things that you deserve Harry.”

A painful lump in Harry’s throat prevented him from speaking and he pressed his lips tightly together. He looked down to the ground as he felt a prickling behind his eyes.

“Look at me please, Harry,” Severus asked quietly. When Harry wouldn’t raise his head, Severus gently lifted Harry’s chin so he would look up. Even though Harry’s head was raised, he still kept his eyes averted. “Harry.” At the soft tone, Harry finally lifted his eyes to meet Severus’. “I will do everything in my power to give you the life you should have deserved from the beginning. Contrary to what you probably think, you are worth every second and every little bit of money I spend on you.”

Harry nodded and a few tears escaped down his cheek. Severus wiped them away and gave his shoulders a comforting squeeze. “Come along,” Severus began and he started to lead the way to Westminster Pier, a hand still on Harry’s shoulder. “Let’s see what kind of tours are offered.”

~SH~

The two boarded a tour boat off of Westminster Pier forty minutes later. Harry, after Severus’ insistence, chose a city cruise that stopped at various locations along the river to let everyone off to tour the famous landmarks. This tour would allow them as much time as they wanted to take in the sights along the river and then return to the boat whenever they felt like it. Boats stopped at every location every twenty minutes or so. Harry thought this was a great idea since they weren’t confined to the boat and if they wanted to walk around, they still had transportation when they were done.

While walking around Somerset House near the start of their city cruise, Harry began to feel not quite right. He had his headache of course, but added to that now was just a dull ache to his entire body. He toyed with the idea of mentioning it to the professor but knew they’d immediately go back to the castle. He couldn’t miss seeing London so he continued to keep quiet and keep up his appearance that nothing was wrong.

Their cruise continued past the OXO tower, the Tate Modern art gallery, through London Bridge, past Canary Wharf and Greenwich with Harry, and even Severus, wanting to get off the boat at different times. The cruise and tour of historic landmarks gave the two a look at Muggle London they might never have seen.

Since they took the opportunity to stop at all the locations on the first part of the cruise, they just sat and enjoyed the passing scenery on the way back to Westminster Pier.

~SH~

It was getting late in the afternoon and Severus was tired. He knew Harry had to be as well. He noticed that Harry hadn’t been as talkative as he was at the start of their trip and was now walking very sluggishly. Instead of walking back to the Leaky Cauldron, as he had initially planned, Severus decided they would take a bus back. Glad he earlier picked up a map that showed all the bus stop locations, he stopped walking and pulled it out of his pocket to find the closest stop. Seeing the closest one was a few blocks in the direction they just came from, Severus steered Harry back in that direction.

At the bus stop, Severus looked at the schedule to see which route they would need to get them closest to the Leaky Cauldron. Unfortunately the closest one still had them walking five blocks. Deciding five blocks was better than a few miles, Severus decided that would be the route they would take. As the next bus wasn’t due for another ten minutes, they had to pass the time standing around. The only available bench was occupied and there was no other place to sit.

They got on the bus ten minutes later, with Severus paying for their tickets while Harry found them a seat. Half way to the back, Harry found an empty row and scooted in sitting next to the window, almost groaning as he did so. Severus unbuttoned his coat and sat down next to Harry at the aisle, a minute later.

Harry, feeling worse then he had all day, leaned his head back against the seat, crossed his arms against his chest and closed his eyes as the bus started to move.

At a stop a while later, Severus felt something fall onto his upper right arm. Ready to yell at whoever threw something at him, he looked to his right and saw that it was actually Harry. His head was lying against his upper arm and he was asleep. Severus gave a small smile. In looking closer, he noticed that even though it was warm on the bus and Harry had his jacket pulled tight over himself, he was still shivering.

Feeling completely awkward and unsure, Severus removed his arm that was pinned between his side and Harry and scooted closer to him. He then wrapped his arm around Harry’s shoulders, trying to offer some warmth. As he sat there with Harry’s head slightly on his chest, he noticed that it felt warm. Too warm, actually.

Extremely concerned, he placed the back of his hand on Harry’s forehead and then moved it to his cheek. The boy was sporting a pretty high fever. He then realized Harry’s breathing seemed to be somewhat congested. Severus sighed. Harry never seemed to catch a break. First he found out his parents were not who he thought they where, then he had that accident in the storeroom a little over a week ago and now he was sick. He knew there was something wrong with Harry when he asked at lunch. Why didn’t he continue to press the issue?

He then began to feel slightly uncomfortable with the situation. What was he supposed to do? What if it was something serious? Sure, he had handled plenty of sick Slytherins over the years, but all he had to do with them was send them off to the hospital wing. Harry was different. Harry was his responsibility and he would not be sending Harry to the hospital wing.

In his initial panic over Harry, he completely forgot he was a potions master. It wasn’t until he looked down to Harry two minutes later, when he was calmed down, that he remembered. Thinking more clearly, he knew there was nothing he could do to help Harry at the moment. He would just have to wait until they made it to Diagon Alley.

Feeling Harry shivering against him, he pulled the boy closer, almost to the point of having him sitting on his lap, and grabbed the side of his coat as he again wrapped his arm around him. He hoped the added warmth of what little his coat could offer would make Harry more comfortable. They sat that way for about fifteen minutes, with Severus feeling more and more relaxed with trying to provide Harry comfort as the time went by. It now felt natural.

Seeing their stop was coming up ahead, Severus began to wake Harry. He spoke quietly to the top of Harry’s head at first. “Harry, we’re almost there. It’s time to wake up.” Having received no response, he began rubbing his hand up and down Harry’s arm. “Come on Harry, wake up,” he said a little louder then lightly shook him. “Wake up Harry.” He then went back to rubbing Harry’s arm.

Harry slowly opened his eyes and noticed his vision was slightly obscured. He blinked a few times, hoping to adjust his eyes, but the view was no different. He then felt his head moving slightly up and down, a weight against his shoulders and a hand rubbing his arm. It then dawned on him. He was lying against the professor! In extreme embarrassment he snapped his eyes open and rushed to sit up, the quick movement causing the pounding in his head to resume.

“It’s okay Harry, stay still.” Severus gently tried to push Harry back against him.

Harry wanted to sit up, but at the gentle pressure, he returned his head to Severus’ chest. Trying to get over his embarrassment he closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths. Unfortunately the last breath resulted in a sneeze.

With his free hand, Severus dug through his coat until he found a handkerchief, then handed it to Harry.

Harry took the offered cloth and wiped at his nose. “Where are we?” he asked somewhat groggily while trying to look up to Severus.

“We’re almost to our stop.” He looked down to Harry with concern. “How are you feeling?” he asked as he ran his fingers through Harry’s hair once and moved his arm back around Harry’s shoulders.

Harry closed his eyes at the feeling of Severus’ actions. Then he thought of what Severus asked. That was the last question he had wanted to hear. He had tried so hard for the entire trip to hide his growing illness. And then he had to go and fall asleep; against the professor no less. Harry didn’t answer. He just wrapped his arms tighter around his body, trying to control his shivering. He was so cold.

Severus pulled Harry towards him even more. “Harry, I know you are feeling unwell.”

“I’m…I’m cold,” he finally confessed, then yawned.

“You have a fever. What else is bothering you?” He may not be able to do anything about Harry’s illness now, but at least he’d know what was needed the minute they got back to Diagon Alley.

“I have a headache and I feel achy.” He pulled away, sneezed again and then went in to a coughing fit. When it was over, he immediately leaned back against Severus.

“And you have some congestion.” Severus returned to rubbing Harry’s arm, while he thought about the symptoms. “I think you have the flu that has been going around the school.” The bus stopped and Severus watched as some people got off. They were now alone in their part of the bus. Once the bus started again, Severus looked back down to Harry. “When did this start?”

Harry didn’t answer right away. He was too caught up in the comfort Severus was providing him just by wrapping an arm around him and rubbing his arm. Not to mention when the man ran his hand through his hair just a few moments ago. It was nice and it made him feel warm inside. It was something he hadn’t ever experienced before, and he knew immediately, he’d want it again.

Harry finally answered Severus when he felt his arm being squeezed. “This morning, I guess. I woke up with a headache. But I thought it was because I didn’t sleep well last night. I didn’t know I was sick.”

Severus nodded. “And when did you realize you were sick?”

“Around lunch, I guess.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

Harry closed his eyes. He had no idea what Severus’ reaction would be once he found out. “I didn’t want you to take me back to the castle. I’ve been looking forward to this day all week. And then I found out what else you had planned. This was the very first time I’ve ever really been to London. I didn’t want to miss it,” he admitted.

“Harry, you’re health is more important than a trip to London.” He could feel Harry deflate against him. “We would have gone back to the castle, yes, but I would have rescheduled our trip.”

“You would have?” Harry asked surprised. He would have bet anything that the man would have said it was a one-time offer. He lifted his head off of Severus’ chest to look up at him.

“Yes. I would not have denied you this opportunity just because you happened to get ill. This was not a once in a lifetime outing.” Severus again nudged Harry’s head back to his chest. “Relax and stay still Harry. I don’t want you moving unless absolutely necessary. We still need to walk five blocks to the Leaky Cauldron once we get off the bus. But don’t go back to sleep,” he added as he watched Harry close his eyes.

Harry opened his eyes and tried to keep them open. It was just very hard to do so. He was way too comfortable and relaxed and it was extremely easy to just go back to sleep.

Two minutes later they arrived at their stop. Severus stood up and let Harry get off the bus first. The change from the warm bus to the cold outside air caused Harry to start coughing the moment he got off.

Severus quickly followed Harry off the bus. He had wanted to lay his coat over Harry on the bus to keep him warm, but he didn’t want to wake him by moving in order to so. As soon as he stepped foot on the ground, he immediately took off his coat and held it out for Harry. “Here, put this on.”

“I can’t. It’s yours.” He did not want to take Severus’ coat. It was the man’s only source for warmth, and it was really cold out. Or at least he thought it was. Besides, it seemed a little awkward.

“I do not want you to get worse.” Severus shook the coat in front of Harry.

Harry reluctantly took the coat and Severus helped him put it on. As Severus was taller, the coat was a little long for him, but it was short enough that he wouldn’t trip on it.

When Harry had the coat buttoned up, they started their trek to Diagon Alley. Halfway there, Harry’s walking had slowed down dramatically. While waiting to cross the street at an intersection, Severus turned to Harry, who was leaning heavily against the light post. “How are you holding up? Do you think you can make it?” He was beginning to get worried.

Harry wanted to say yes, that he could make it since he had been feeling miserable almost the entire trip. But now, with Severus knowing he was sick and with how awful he felt, he couldn’t lie anymore. He looked up to Severus with pain-filled eyes. “I don’t think so,” he quietly admitted. All he wanted to do was lie curled up in a ball on the ground and sleep, hoping it would make the pain go away. He didn’t want to walk the rest of the way to Diagon Alley. Why didn’t he just tell Severus he wasn’t feeling well earlier? Then right now he could be in a nice warm soft bed instead of walking on a sidewalk in the cold early evening air.

At the look Harry gave him, and the pain apparent on his face, Severus wished they could apparate directly to Hogwarts. But with the condition that Harry was in, apparating wasn’t an option. He would just have to help Harry the best he could. When the light changed, signaling they could cross the street, Severus held out his left arm. “Over here.”

Harry, surprising himself, looked at Severus’ arm with longing. Though it wouldn’t make the pain go away, he really wanted the comfort he felt on the bus. Slowly he walked over.

The second Harry was next to him Severus wrapped his arm around him. “Come on, we’ll get there together.”

Harry immediately wrapped his right arm around Severus’ waist and leaned against him. As they walked across the street, Harry began to feel awful about lying to the professor. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you.”

At those words, Severus gave Harry a squeeze. “There’s no need to feel sorry. Let’s just get you back to the castle and get you well.”

They finally arrived at the Leaky Cauldron five minutes later. When they first got off the bus, Severus was intent on going to the apothecary for some potions. But now all he wanted to do was get Harry to bed first; the boy could hardly stand. They entered the pub and headed straight for the floo. “I don’t feel comfortable having you floo by yourself so we’ll go together.” He gently pushed Harry into the fireplace and stood next to him. “Hold on tight.”

Harry held on to Severus and closed his eyes tight. Under normal circumstances he sometimes felt sick after using the floo. He didn’t want to know what he would feel like when he already felt this ill.

A second later they landed in their living room and Harry began coughing violently, bent over at the waist. Severus conjured a glass of water and handed it to Harry. “Drink.” He placed a hand on Harry’s back while the boy continued coughing.

Harry took the glass and tried to take a few sips around his coughing, noticing the small circles Severus was rubbing on his back. When the fit finally subsided, he stood up straight and took a few more sips of the cool liquid. “Thanks.” He handed the glass back to Severus who unfortunately removed his hand from his back and placed the glass on the coffee table.

Severus nodded and held out his wand. “Stand still Harry.” He waved the wand over first Harry and them himself to change their appearances back to normal. “There, that’s better.”

Harry gave a small smile, glad to see the man looking like normal. He then looked down to the ground. He wanted to ask a question, but wasn’t sure the type of answer he would get. After the day spent in the man’s presence, especially the last hour or so, he really didn’t want to leave. “Can I…” he stopped in nervousness when the man met his eyes.

When Harry didn’t continue, Severus tried to press him. “Can you what, Harry?”

“Erm…can I stay with you tonight?” He ducked his head as soon as he finished the question.

Slightly surprised at the question, as Harry had yet to want to stay down in the dungeons, it took Severus a few seconds before he answered. “Where else do you think I would want you to be when you feel like this?”

Harry shrugged. “The hospital wing probably.” Where else would the man send him? He sent everyone there.

“Never. You will always stay with me, unless I am unable to provide the care you need.”

Harry quickly looked up to Severus and opened his mouth to respond, but instead of a ‘thanks’ like he wanted to give the man, he sneezed three times into his cupped hands, not able to retrieve the handkerchief Severus gave him earlier.

“Bless you! Let’s go. Into bed with you.” Severus put a hand on Harry’s back and pushed him in the direction of his bedroom. “Go change in to your pajamas. I’ll be there in a minute with some potions for you.”

“Okay,” Harry responded quietly. He slowly walked to his bedroom. He sat on the bed and tried to unbutton Severus’ coat. Unfortunately he was too weak and achy and couldn’t grasp the buttons tight enough. He was still struggling with them when Severus entered his room a few minutes later. At seeing Severus, and knowing what the man was trying to do since the bus, the strong front he had been showing all night finally crumbled. “I can’t unbutton the coat,” Harry said, close to tears. First, his whole body hurt and now he couldn’t get the stupid coat off!

“It’s okay. Calm down, Harry.” He held out two vials. “Take these first and I’ll help you.” While Harry drank the potions, Severus unbuttoned the coat. He took the empty vials that were still in Harry’s hand and helped him shrug out of the coat. He draped the coat over his arm and looked at Harry. “You okay now?”

“Yeah,” Harry said, completely embarrassed, and looking at his lap. It was just a coat for Merlin’s sake! “Thanks.”

“Get in to your pajamas.”

Harry looked up at Severus in confusion. “But I don’t have any here. And I don’t know where you sent my new clothes.”

“Look behind you.”

Harry turned around and spotted a pair of pajamas neatly folded, sitting on top of the bed. He picked up the pajamas and turned back around. “I’m sorry. I didn’t see them.”

“Harry, don’t worry about it. You are ill and not feeling well. It is understandable.” He looked at Harry with sympathy then pulled his wand out. “I’d like to take your temperature. I need you to stay still.” After Harry’s nod, he pointed his wand at Harry and muttered a spell. Blue numbers appeared at the tip moments later. “Thank you. Now get changed.” Severus returned his wand and left with his coat to drop it off in his bedroom. He then went to the kitchen to make some soup and tea for Harry. He could have called for one of the school elves for the soup and tea, but he really wanted to do everything for Harry himself. He owed the boy that much.

While the soup and water were heating up, Severus went to the floo to firecall Minerva. As soon as the fire was ready, he stuck his head in and called the Gryffindor’s head of house. “Minerva, I need a word.”

“Of course, Severus. Minerva moved from her desk to in front of the fireplace. “What can I do for you?”

“I thought I would let you know that Harry will be spending the rest of the evening and probably all of tomorrow down here in the dungeons.”

“Is something wrong, Severus?” She had a hard time believing Harry would voluntarily spend the night with the man, though she really had no idea Harry’s take on things.

“Nothing that I won’t be able handle. Harry just caught the flu that is going around the castle.”

At those words, Minerva’s lips thinned. She knew Severus was the boy’s father, but she still had a hard time ignoring Harry’s and his past history. “I think it best if Harry was to go up to the hospital wing, Severus. Surely you have better things to do. Let Poppy take care of him. It is her job.”

Severus scowled. “Harry is my son. As such, it is my responsibility to care for him. He will be spending the time with me.”

“Severus, I don’t think…”

“I do not care what you think,” he growled, cutting of Minerva. “Harry will stay with me. I will be taking care of my son. I only made this firecall thinking it would be beneficial to let you know Harry’s whereabouts, not to get your opinion. I thought you understood our situation.” Severus thought Minerva was on his side, but apparently not. “Good evening Minerva,” he said shortly and he quickly pulled out of his fireplace extremely angry.

When he turned around and saw the soup heating on the stove, his anger disappeared to be replaced with worry. He walked over, stirred the soup and got a mug and glass from the cabinet. He poured some juice in the glass, and since the soup was still heating and the water for tea had yet to boil, he quickly went to the restroom to get the fever reducer needed for Harry.

Three minutes later, with tray in hand, Severus entered Harry’s bedroom. Harry was sitting in bed against the headboard with his eyes closed. “Harry, I brought you some soup, tea and juice.” He placed the tray on the night table. “But first I need you to take the fever reducer.” He held the vial out to Harry, who had opened his eyes when Severus first spoke.

Harry downed the potion and set the vial on the tray. “Thank you.” He looked to the food and grimaced. “I’m not hungry, though.”

“You have hardly eaten anything today. You need some food. I know you’re not hungry, but try. Just a few spoonfuls. Please?”

Swallowing thickly at the word please, Harry nodded. “I’ll try.”

“That’s all I ask.” He watched as Harry picked up the bowl of soup and took a spoonful. “If you need me at any time, you can come get me; even if I am in my bedroom.”

“Okay,” Harry responded quietly.

“The soup and tea have a warming charm on them and the juice has a cooling charm on it, so you don’t have to worry about finishing them all right now. I’ll be back in a few hours to see how you are doing.”

Harry nodded and watched as Severus left his bedroom.

~SH~

The table and chairs in Severus’ kitchen were forcefully knocked away as the floo roared and two men stepped out into his quarters. A tea pot and cup which had been sitting on the table went crashing to the floor unnoticed.

“Ah Severus. Just who I was looking for,” drawled Lucius Malfoy. He brushed some ash from his Death Eater robes and began to walk toward Severus in the kitchen with wand raised.

“Lower your wand, Lucius,” came Severus’ deadly cold voice.

Lucius laughed. “Now why would I do a thing like that, traitor?”

“What do you hope to accomplish?” Severus asked, hand reaching his own wand and pointing it at Lucius.

“This,” the other Death Eater answered. “Crucio!”

Severus went crashing to the floor, his whole body twisting and thrashing around.

“Come on, Severus, you can do better than that.” Lucius looked to the other Death Eater and nodded.

The two raised their wands and continued throwing the Cruciatus curse and others at Severus until he was screaming, then rendered unconscious.

“It is time to return to the Dark Lord,” Lucius began, speaking to Severus’ body. “He is waiting to greet you this evening. I dare say you will finally be getting what you deserve.”

The two Death Eaters levitated Severus’ unconscious body to the fireplace and the three of them left through the floo.


“No! Please no! I NEED HIM. NO!” Harry screamed desperately.

Shaking and drenched, his head in near blinding pain, Harry quickly sat up in bed. Without wasting any time, he scrambled out of bed and went in search of Severus. With shaky legs and feeling extremely faint, he walked out of his room and took a peak in the man’s bedroom. It was empty. Next he checked the restroom. It too was empty. Panic beginning to build and his shaking intensifying, he walked out to the living room and checked the study as he passed. Both were empty as well. Almost on the verge of hysterics, he next checked out the kitchen. That room was empty too. Severus was no where in his quarters.

Feeling extremely faint, and barely able to stand, Harry headed back towards his bedroom, almost hyperventilating. Severus was no where to be found. It wasn’t a nightmare he had woken up from. It had been a vision! It had been real. He knew he should go directly to the headmaster, but his body had another idea. His legs unable to support him anymore, he fell against the wall by his bedroom door and sunk to the floor.
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2418