Victus per Reproba Monumentum by firefly5151
Summary: A package is sent to Severus 16 years after Lily's death. Its contents reveal he and Harry have been living a lie. Will they both come to accept the truth and one another or will they continue to live the lie?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: Hermione, Remus, Ron, .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 34 Completed: No Word count: 177089 Read: 150637 Published: 08 Jan 2011 Updated: 06 Jun 2012
Chapter 5 by firefly5151

The sound of something heavy being pulled across the creaky second floor woke Harry up late the next morning. Clad in pajamas, with his hair tousled and sticking up all over, he walked to the bedroom door half asleep and opened it. Remus was passing by lugging an exceptionally large trunk behind him. "Professor, what are you doing?" He then noticed Remus was wearing his cloak, looking like he was getting ready to leave the house. "It's not time to go to Hogwarts yet is it?" he asked groggily, not knowing what day it actually was.

Remus stopped and faced Harry, who was in the middle of a yawn. "I'm sorry I woke you up Harry. I was trying to be as quiet as I could. I would have waited to bring my trunk down until you were already up, but I'm afraid I have to leave right now."

"Leave?" All thoughts of going back to sleep were gone from Harry's mind. He was now wide awake. "Where are we going?" Not even waiting for a response, Harry turned around and started grabbing his clothes that were scattered all over the floor and stuffed them into his overflowing trunk. He wanted to get out of the house as fast as possible, and it didn't matter where they were going.

Remus saw how happy Harry was at the thought of leaving and was regretting what he had to say next to the boy. He hated getting Harry' hopes up; that he'd be able to leave the house. "Harry, I'm sorry, but just I'm leaving. You have to stay here for the next two days."

Harry stopped packing, and with a ball of socks in his hand, stood up abruptly and turned toward the door. "Why?" he questioned gloomily, wanting to know how come he was going to be stuck in the horrid house, while his professor got to leave.

After seeing the crestfallen look on Harry's face, Remus dropped his trunk with a thud, walked in the bedroom and sat tiredly on the empty bed in the room. He gave a sad laugh. "In all my excitement of finding out I'm teaching at Hogwarts again, and going to get you from the Dursley's, I honestly forgot that tonight is the full moon."

"What does that…" Harry began, still standing in the middle of the dreary room.

"I need to return to Hogwarts for my transfiguration. With the safety measures taken on my quarters, it's the safest place for me."

"But," Harry began, before being cut off by Remus.

"I will not put you in danger by staying here, Harry."

With a slight feeling of abandonment, Harry sank down on his bed. Staring at the floor, he contemplated how he could convince Remus to take him with. He met Remus' studying gaze a few seconds later. "I could come with you, Professor. It's only two days until term starts." Seeing Remus start to shake his head, he continued, almost pleading. "I promise I'll stay in Gryffindor tower unless a professor comes to get me. I'll even take my meals in the common room."

"I'm sorry Harry, but that's out of the question." He watched Harry's face fall. "Unfortunately, students are not allowed at Hogwarts until term starts."

Harry looked down at his hands and saw he was still holding the ball of socks. With more force than necessary, he threw the socks to the floor, missing his trunk by a few feet. Feeling upset and hurt, he looked up at Remus. "Why then did you even bother coming to get me from the Dursley's if you had to leave? I would have rather spent my last few days there doing chores and being locked in my room, than being able to wander this house alone. How could you forget…"

Remus interrupted. "I was just so excited, that it slipped my mind. I can't begin to tell you how much I was looking forward to spending these three days with you, and only you. With no one to bother us and you not having to worry about homework." He stopped his explanation and looked at Harry intently, trying to gauge what he was really feeling about the situation. Harry had the look of a boy whose dog had just died, which in a way was partially the truth. Remus would have laughed, had the situation been extremely different.

"Harry, I don't want to take the place of Sirius, but…," he trailed off, with a sad look on his face. "There are many things I wanted to talk to you about. For starters, I wanted us to get to know each other better, and for you to learn more about your parents as well. Sirius had told me how much you want to know about them."

Harry brightened up at the thought of being able to learn more about his parents and especially having someone who was almost like a relative to talk to who also wanted to talk to him. He was a little surprised that that thought made him happier than he had been in months. He knew it was sad that something others considered trivial could be that important to him, but he recognized that it was because of how he had to live the past 16 years. The only time he could talk to anyone was while at Hogwarts. And even while there, he didn't feel comfortable enough with his friends to confide in them about certain things. This was something that deep down he desperately wanted for the longest time. He wanted an adult to talk to.

"Professor, we can still talk at Hogwarts can't we? I mean…it won't be like it would be here, but maybe we can set aside a few hours a week to meet and just talk?" When Remus looked at Harry, he continued. "I would really like that." He gave Remus a smile.

"So would I." Remus smiled back then slowly stood up. "I'm sorry, but I really do have to leave now Harry. I'm not too sure if I'll be in any shape to attend the welcoming feast this year. If it were up to Poppy, I wouldn't be able to attend the first week of lessons, let alone the welcoming feast," he said through a laugh. "So if you don't see me at the staff table, stop by my office as soon as you can."

"I'll do that Professor." Harry stood up and followed Remus into the hallway, leaning against the wall. "If I haven't told you already sir, thank you so much for all you've done for me these past few days. I know you didn't have to do any of it."

Remus turned around when he reached his trunk and faced Harry. "You're welcome Harry, but I know I didn't do as much as I should have. I know I wasn't there for you like I should have been." He looked down to his trunk trying to collect his thoughts, and continued in a pained and whispered voice. "It's partially…being in this house…with Sirius…I'm…" he stammered, unable to voice his thoughts. He looked at Harry dejectedly. "I'm so sorry. I will find a way to make it up to you."

Harry looked at Remus knowing exactly what he was trying to get across. "That's alright Professor, I know what you mean." Harry thought back to the way he behaved since arriving at the house two days ago, and wasn't proud of it. "I haven't been myself either." He gave the tired looking man in front of him a small smile.

"I'm ashamed to say it Harry, but if it wasn't for Professor Snape, you wouldn't be doing as well as you are." Remus shuddered at the memory of that visit. "He actually had to remind me to give you your potions." He walked to the hallway, grabbed his trunk and began hauling it towards the stairs, then stopped abruptly and turned around. "Speaking of Snape, I almost forgot Harry. Professor Snape will be staying here for the remaining two days. I tried to get Dumbledore to let you stay with the Weasley's or have them come here, but he wouldn't agree to that. He said until school starts, you'd be safer in this house with Severus."

"No," Harry groaned throwing his head back and covering his face with his hands. He was only joking when he said he'd rather live with Snape than be in this house. Now he had to have both?

Remus laughed at Harry's reaction. "Unfortunately, as much as I detest the man myself, I'm afraid I have to agree with the Headmaster on this." Harry dropped his hands to his sides and looked at Remus in disbelief. "Harry, I know you two dislike each other, but it is in your best interest. Believe me when I say he's as thrilled with this as you are."

"That, I can believe," he replied, knowing how much the potions master loathed him. "Luckily this house is big enough where I doubt I'll run in to him. But just to be on the safe side, I think I'll spend a majority of my time in my room."

"Good thinking," Remus said amused. "I wish you good luck Harry. I know you'll be fine with Severus." He looked at Harry one last time and noticed the dark circles under his eyes, his pale complexion, and that he was leaning heavily on the wall in the hallway. "And I hope you get better soon. Take care of yourself. And if you begin to feel worse, please let Severus know."

"That was one thing I was looking forward to," he said sarcastically. "I doubt it'll come to that, but I will, just for you." He gave Remus a teasing smile.

"I'm serious Harry. I don't want you having a relapse and coming to Hogwarts in worse shape than I'll be in."

"I know, I'm only joking." He became serious. "You take care of yourself too, Professor. See you soon."

"Goodbye Harry."

Harry watched Remus pull his wand out from inside his cloak and levitate his trunk, following it down the stairs. He laughed as he walked back into his room, wondering why Remus didn't just levitate his trunk down from his room in the first place. Sitting on his bed, Harry figured there was no point in going back to bed, even though he was still extremely tired. He didn't think he could get back to sleep even if he wanted to. And the thought of lying on the bed just staring at the yellowed ceiling didn't appeal to him either.

Deciding to get dressed instead, he crouched down in front of his trunk trying to find some clean clothes to wear. Throwing a muddy shoe aside, he realized that Lupin never told him when Snape would be arriving. He quickly got up and dashed down to the drawing room. Reaching the landing for the first floor, he called out to Remus. "Professor, you forgot to tell me when Snape would be coming." He entered the room and found it empty. Looking at the floor just in front of the fireplace, he spotted some floo powder glittering in the sunlight. Remus had left already. Now he’d never know how much time he had to himself before that hooked nosed git would arrive. He decided he’d better enjoy his free time while he could.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2418