Snape's Memories by Paganaidd
Summary: Twenty years after the War, Harry is a solid family man who's taken in one more. In helping this damaged little boy, he finds himself thinking about his old professor, quite a bit.
Categories: Reverse Roles > Parental Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Albus Severus, Dudley, Ginny, Hermione, James Sirius, Lily Luna, Molly, Neville, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Mystery, Supernatural
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Child fic, Kidnapped
Takes Place: 9 - Post Epilogue (middle aged Harry)
Warnings: Drug use, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: Snape's Memories
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 66575 Read: 150872 Published: 30 Jan 2011 Updated: 07 Feb 2011
Chapter 9 by Paganaidd

"What are you doing with your first day off, love?" asked Ginny at the breakfast table next morning.

"Depends, do you need me this afternoon?" asked Harry.

Ginny glanced at the sleepy Tim as he played with his toast. He managed to make it through half a slice and the Harry saw that the rest of it was in his napkin. It appeared that Tim was off his food this morning.

"I think we'll be all right on our own." replied Ginny, "It's just a check up. The healer will give us a full written report and she'll be in touch to talk about anything we need."

"Okay, then, I needed to see Minerva anyway." Harry hesitated, not liking to talk about this in front of Lily and Tim, "Ginny, you know that potion Professor Snape gave everyone who had...er...detention with the Carrows that last year at Hogwarts?"

Ginny nodded.

"Do you suppose he left the formula for it in his notes somewhere?"

Ginny stared at Harry. Slowly, she smiled as she realized what he was thinking, "I don't know. No one's ever gone through his papers." In Snape's will, he'd left his entire body of research to the Hogwarts' library.

"Maybe I can get Poppy and Neville to help me."

"With what?" asked Lily cheerfully.

"Oh, just some research I want to do for the office." Harry replied airily, "I might give your Aunt Hermione an owl too, if I find what I'm looking for."

"Can I expect you back for dinner, or do you want to eat with the boys?" asked Ginny.

"I'll get lunch with them, but I'll be back here for dinner."

After Ginny left with the children, Harry drank another cup of coffee, musing that these disturbed nights were starting to take their toll. He slipped a couple of pepper up potions into his pocket and promised himself he'd go to bed when the children did, tonight.

Harry apparated to just outside of the Hogwarts boundary. He walked up through the gates but rather than heading up to the castle, he diverted to the War Memorial, by the lake.

Dumbledore's white marble tomb rose up out of the turf. Parallel to it was Snape's black marble tomb. That was the one thing that Harry had used his stature as the hero of the moment, after the War, to accomplish; that Snape should be buried here, at Hogwarts. The one home he'd ever had.

Snape had written his will in that last year at Hogwarts and something of a final testament. It was found after the final battle, left prominently on the headmaster's desk.

Snape had put it there knowing that the person to find it would be one of the teachers or else a Death Eater. He'd left a request that, should Voldemort be defeated, he be buried at Hogwart's. He had envisioned an unmarked grave somewhere in the Forest, however, not a tomb alongside Dumbledore's. Harry would not allow that. Minerva, Poppy and Hagrid, of all people, had come forward to support it as well.

Between the tombs, a grey obelisk stood, carved with the names of those who died as heroes at the battle of Hogwarts. Harry brushed his hand over the names. Every year on V V Day there was a memorial service held. After the first few years, Harry didn't often attend those ceremonies. He found them too sad. In fact he seldom even came here, it was just that after the past few days, the War was suddenly in his head again.

Harry shook himself, he didn't want to work himself into a depression. He had other things to think of, he just felt like he wanted to visit the man's grave before delving into his diaries and notes.

"Harry?" someone called.

Harry turned to see Neville making his way down the path.

"Ginny sent me an owl saying you were going to turn up this morning." Neville said, "She said you were working on a project? Said you were coming to look at Snape's notes?"

Harry smiled wryly, "And she guessed I'd start here?"

"Yes." Neville said simply, "So, what's so important?"

Harry crossed his arms, leaned against the black tomb, telling Neville about Tim and the revelation that Tim's father had apparently used an Unforgivable on both him and his mother.

"I guess that explains the heroin the mother's been using, then." said Neville quietly, "Bad enough, what it does to wizards..." Neville shuddered. His father, Frank, had died a few years ago, never having spoken since Bellatrix Lestrange had driven him past all sanity with the Cruciatis curse, right after Voldemort had disappeared for the first time.

Harry nodded, "Ginny's taking him to the healer today. See how much damage's been done."

Neville nodded, knowing without having to ask that there would be some damage in a child that young, "So, you reckon that you can find Snape's potion?"

"I hope so."

Neville nodded, "All his journals are in the library. But is it something you think he'd write down? He was so careful."

"I imagine this one would have to be pretty complex. I don't think even he could keep it all in his head." Harry replied, as they turned to walk up to the castle, "But I wasn't here. Do you think it makes sense to look for it, or am I just looking for false hope?"

"Honestly, Harry, I never could understand why any of us came out of it halfway sane. But that potion...Snape tipped one down Micheal Corner's throat after the Carrows got through with him. I remember taking him back to the Ravenclaw common room. At the time, I thought it was something to make things worse, but at least he was talking sense. I really thought that after what he'd been through, he'd lose his mind." Neville sighed, "I thought things were as bad as they could've gotten, but if Snape hadn't been here, it would have been a lot worse."

"Ginny said the same." Harry agreed.

"I'll help you however I can." said Neville, "And ask Millie, too, she was one of Snape's favorites." Millicent Bulstrode was currently the Potions mistress and head of Slytherin house.

"Thanks, I'll ask her. Poppy already said she's available."

Harry spent the morning with several of the house elves, bringing boxes and boxes of parchment out of storage. It seemed to be all the research Snape had done at Hogwarts as well as papers from before he became a professor. Harry knew that it would take some time to go through it all.

It was sad that that no one had had the time or motivation to go through it all, till now.

By lunchtime, Harry had it all packed and shrunk for moving. He asked the house elves to deliver it to Grimmauld Place, where Kreacher was waiting to take custody of it.

Minerva smiled when she saw Harry, "Find everything?" she asked.

"I think so," said Harry falling into step with her, on the way to the Great Hall, "Am I really the first to go through it?"

Minerva nodded, "You know how things were right after the War. Everyone so anxious to move on with their lives. And then...well, people just forget."

Harry nodded, thoughtfully.

"Dad!" called James' voice from a crowd of students

Minerva smiled and said "Let me know what you find, won't you?", before moving off to the teacher's table.

Harry turned to catch James as the boy threw himself at Harry. It was harder to catch him than it used to be, Harry thought. At fifteen, James was actually a little taller than Harry, apparently having inherited his height from the Weasley side.

Of course, the Dursley's habit of half starving Harry when he was tiny hadn't helped.

"Where's your brother?" asked Harry after returning the hug.

"Probably already eating," said James with a grin, "Come on, we'll go find him."

Albus was indeed already eating, sat next to his best friend, Scorpius. Hermoine and Ron's daughter Rose sat on the other side of Scorpius. Scorpius saw Harry first and whispered to Al.

"Are you in trouble, James?" Rose asked suspiciously as Harry and James drew near, "Hello, Uncle Harry." she said politely to Harry.

"I'm not in any trouble!" protested James, "Dad sent me an owl this morning that he had research in the library to do."

"Thanks for mentioning that." remarked Albus, dryly.

"How're my favorite Ravenclaws?" Harry asked the trio.

"Very well, thank you, Mr. Potter." said Scorpius politely.

Albus jumped up to give Harry a hug too, "We're playing Gryffindor in Quidditch next week." he told Harry excitedly, "It's my first match against them," Albus had just made the Ravenclaw team that year; he played Seeker.

James was on the Gryffindor team as Chaser, "Yeah, shame Ravenclaw won't win this time," he said, easily.

"I wouldn't be so sure about that, if I were you." replied Harry, with a little smile, "Your brother's at least a good a Seeker as I was, at his age."

Albus fairly glowed at the praise.

"Of course, you're as good a Chaser as your mother was." Harry went on with a nod at James, "So I think it all depends on the rest of the teams. Just as well you're not on the same team. It would be an impossibly unfair advantage."

Both James and Albus grinned at him.

"Now, I didn't come just to talk about Quidditch. How are your classes going?" Harry spent a comfortable hour catching up with the children before they had to go back to class. James and Albus were full of questions about their new foster brother.

When it was finally time to go, Harry gave the boys a last hug. It wasn't too long until summer holidays and Harry was looking forward to having them home again.

Harry was glad that Tim did have some months yet, to adjust to living with them before more people were added to the mix. He only hoped Tim wouldn't be too overwhelmed by the crowd that usually descended along with the boys in the form of cousins and friends.

Harry arrived home midafternoon, asked Kreacher to bring a pot of tea. Settling down in the chair in his study, his disturbed night caught up with him. By the time Kreacher had brought it up, Harry had dozed off.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2437