A Journey to the Past by Firestar
Summary: Harry must go to the past in order to save his parents and his own lives... But what will happen? Will he get out of this mess alive?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, James, Lily, Lucius, Remus, Sirius, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 31 Completed: No Word count: 50986 Read: 77396 Published: 31 Jan 2005 Updated: 31 Jan 2005
Midnight Flight by Firestar

The days passed quickly, and Harry was soon healed from the major damages from the Death Eaters' attack. But now, he had another problem: nightmares. Every time he went to bed, he only had a few minutes of rest before the visions and nightmares started. He dreamed of Cedric and Sirius' deaths, Voldemort, the flying Death Eaters... Every night, he woke up screaming, and only !Severus'! comforting words and actions made his life bearable.

Harry was losing weight; he was always tired from lack of sleep, and the dizzy spells still hit pretty often. He was easily irritated and lost his temper many times. He knew !Severus! and !Remus! were worried about him; they often shot him axious and worried glances.

One night, Harry just couldn't sleep. He didn't want to wake up !Severus!; he knew his father was awake most of the nights, comforting him from his horrifying visions. He decided to take a night-time stroll around the corridors. Scribbling a quick note and pulling his invisibility cloak over him shoulders, he stepped out into the hallways. The midnight breeze was chilly, yet refreshening.

He walked up to the North Astronomy Tower and standing there, gazed at the scenary. The lake glistened in the glowing moonlight. He wa about to leave when he saw a dark figure, moving around the Forbidden Forest. Who, or what, was it? Never one to give up and adventure, Harry transformed into his Animagus form. Stretching him wings, he took flight, the night air rushing, brushing by his face.

Harry carefully flew towards the standing figure, always staying in the shadows so he would not be seen. Flying closer and closer, he finally landed and trotted silently behind a tree, keeping the figure in view.

Just then, the figure moved slightly, turning his face so that his features could be clearly seen in the moonlight.

Harry stifled a gasp. It was Severus Snape.

But this younger, Slytherin Severus looked.... somehow different. Instead of the usual cold, emotionless mask the boy usually wore, his expression was strangely... open. Relaxed.

Trusting his instincts, Harry trotted up to the Slytherin boy.

"What--" Severus turned abruptly but paused when he saw the beautiful unicorn in front of him. "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in resting in your home? Where's your mother?"

Harry was surprised at the gentle voice the Slytherin used. He nuzzled the other's hand.

Severus laughed, a rich, deep sound. "What's your name?"

Harry stared for a moment. A second later, he wrote on the dirt with his hoof, a single word.

Ice.

Severus looked thoughtful for a mometn, then smiled. "It fits. It's.... you."

Harry whinned for Severus to climb onto his back.

"What? You want me to ride with you?"

Harry gave him a look which clearly meant, 'Well, duh? Why else would I ask? Hurry up and get on!'

Severus smiled and quickly heaved himself onto the unicorn's (Harry's, that is) back. "I'm ready."

With a swift kick and flap of Harry's wings, they were off.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It was the most wonderful feeling I have ever felt, soaring through the midnight sky, the cool, winter breeze on my face. Together, Ice and I flew around the lake, over the Forbidden Foerst... All my worries and sorrows had disappeared: I no longer felt the deep guilt and shame I had felt when I had come out.

Why had I been feeling shameful? Well, it is because I have accepted the Dark Mark. That I have sworn loyalty to Voldemort, the evilest and most treachous wizard of all times. When I pledged loyalty, I was young and foolish; I wanted power and respect. But now, I realize that as a Death Eater, the only things I will ever feel are pain, shame, and regret.

For a blissful hour, we flew together. I leaned onto Ice's back, the wind brushing my face. For that magical hour, we were together, flying on and on, never stopping. I gripped Ice tightly, enjoying the closeness, depending on him. We were together, flying as one. I flew to my heart's content, my spirit soaring over the mountain tops, my soul singing out for the world to hear and see me like this, joyful and carefree. The wind swept through my long, black hair, never-ending, never stopping. I wanted that moment to last forever, till the end of eternity.

Finally, Ice gently landed by the school, letting me to the ground. I looked into those mysterious green eyes, haunting, yet beautiful. They reminded me of someone I could not place my fingers on. The unicorn's body seemed to glow in the moonlight, making him seem dazzling white. The golden mane glistened and shined, smooth and windswept.

"I have to go now," I said, throwing my arms around the unicorn, hugging him. Something hot and wet ran down Ice's body. It took me a moment to realize that the liquid was my tears. "Goodbye. Will I see you again?"

Ice nodded, looking at me, wisdom shining in those emerald orbs. For a moment, I thought I heard someone whisper "Goodbye, Severus," but I dismissed it as my imagination. Turning, I ran up to the door of the school, pulling it open, racing towards the Slytherin dorms.

When I looked up, Ice was gone.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry watched as Severus raced up to the school. A moment later, he flew up to the Tower and turned back into his human form and began walking to !Severus'! quarters. He could not forget the life he had seen sparkling in Severus' usually cold, black eyes. The Slytherin had seemed so happy, so content... Harry had enjoyed himself also; he loved the feeling of having control, to be able to fly over the lake, watching the water glisten below him.

He reached !Severus'! chambers, and letting himself in, he changed into his pajamas. Today had been a long day. He was feeling exhausted. Blowing out the candle, he fell asleep before his head hit the pillow.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=244