A Journey to the Past by Firestar
Summary: Harry must go to the past in order to save his parents and his own lives... But what will happen? Will he get out of this mess alive?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, James, Lily, Lucius, Remus, Sirius, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 31 Completed: No Word count: 50986 Read: 77992 Published: 31 Jan 2005 Updated: 31 Jan 2005
A Potions Project and a meeting with Voldemort by Firestar

Harry was sitting in potions class, listening to his father and Professor Rosethorn. It was a few days after the Xmas Dance.

"Today," !Severus! said quietly but sternly. "You will be starting a Potions Project. You are to research and brew a potion, any kind, which is the grade seven level or above. No dark or dangerous potions permitted. This project will be done in partners. Professor Rosethorn will list the partners."

"Mr. Potter, with Mr. Malfoy. Mr. Pettigrew with Mr. Bulstrode. Mr. Lupin with Mr. Parkinson. Ms. Evans with Ms. Bellatrix Black." The professor smirked as she began listing off insane Gryffindor-Slytherin partners. "Ms. Granger, with Ms. Narcissa Black. Mr. Westerly, with Mr. Goyle. Mr. Longbottom, with Mr. Crabbe. Mr. Draco Darkice, with Mr. Zabini. And Mr. Harry Darkice with Mr. Snape. Your class is dismissed for now. You may use the rest of your time on research. Begin."

Harry's smirked as his housemates began approaching the Slytherin cautiously. He strode up to the younger Severus and the boy looked up.

"Yes, Darkice?" Severus asked, his obsidian eyes piercing his. Harry looked back resolutely.

"We are partners for this Potions Project, in case you havn't notice. And we are given the following hour to begin working on it. And I do not intend to waste my time."

Severus eyed him for a second, before nodding. "Where do you wish to work."

"The library would be fine." Seeing the other nod, Harry led the way.

Reaching the library, they discovered that it was almost full. It was a good thing that Madam Pince was not there due to the fact that most of the partners were arguing loudly.

"NO, Goyle," he heard Ron yell. "It's a Dark Potion and the professors said we're not allowed..."

"So," Harry said, settling down in an empty chair while Severus sat down across from him. "What potion do you want to do?"

Severus sneered. "I doubt you would know the names of the potions I am talking about, Darkice."

Harry smirked. "Oh really, Snape? With my father as a Potions Master... I doubt it. Name what you like."

"I say the Polyjuice Potion," the other said smugly, settling back.

Harry inwardly grinned. "Excellent choice," he said, ignoring the surprised look on Severus said. Apparently, the younger Severus was not yet as talented at concealing his feelings as his father. "Do you wish to brew, or research?"

"I don't care," the Slytherin said. "Although I doubt /you/ could manage to brew such a potion."

Harry sighed. "Look," he said blatantly. "We have to make this potion together, and I really don't want to be insulted constantly. I need a good grade, and so do you if you want to be a Potions Master. So let's just forget the insults and last names, okay, Severus?"

The other seemed slightly disoriented. "Fine," he said, composing himself. "How did you know I wanted to be a Potions Master?"

"I could tell. Anyways, how about if we both brew and research, half- half."

Severus nodded before asking, "Do you know exactly how to brew it, Darkice?"

"My name's Harry," Harry retorted. "And yes, if you must know, I've made it before with Ron and Hermione in our second year."

Severus' eyes widened slightly at the words. "Good," he said finally. "There should be an ingrediants list in the Potions book I read a few months ago..."

The hour passed quickly. Soon, they had gathered enough information to begin writing. As they were about to leave the library, Lucius Malfoy walked by and sneered, "What's wrong, Darkice? Bet you don't know any potions above grade seven level. Good thing you have Severus with you..."

"I know much more than you would ever guess, /Malfoy/." Harry spat out the name.

Lucius' eyes widened at the insulting words. "How dare you, you arrogant Gryffindor," he said sharply. "Do you know what the Malfoy name means? How dare /you/, a common Mudblood, say such a thing?"

Harry's words were steel and his tone was ice when he answered. "Of course I know who Malfoys are. Rich, arrogant idiots who thinks they're the best of everyone and everything. Snobby bastards who are idolized by fellow Slytherins because of their /status/. Bowed down to anyone lately, Lucius?"

"YOU!" Lucius snarled angrily. "How DARE you..." He lung at Harry, but missed when the raven-haired boy dodged.

"Later, Lucius, until later," Harry said, his fingers brushing the blond's elbow, lingering slightly on the left forearm before he kept walking and disappeared out the library door.

Severus was the only one who saw the action. His breathing quickened as he realized that Harry knew about Lucius' Dark Mark. But... how could a Gryffindor possibly know? Unless he too worked for Voldemort... Severus was determined to figure out the mystery of the boy. What was going here?

For the next week, Harry met with Severus often, in the library or empty classrooms. He was pleased to discover that Severus didn't act too offensive when they were alone. So far, they had already finished the writing of the research paper and were beginning on the brewing of the potion.

His bag full of needed ingrediants and his cauldron in his hands, he headed towards the empty classroom on the third floor in which he had asked to use in order to work with Severus. Settling down, he waited for the other to come.

After half an hour and seeing that Severus still hadn't come, he had had enough. It wasn't like the Slytherin to forget. Walking out the door, he headed towards the entrance of the Slytherin Common Room which he had discovered in his second year with the Polyjuice Potion. Reaching the door, he saw that a portrait of Salazar Slytherin hung from it.

~Hello, Lord Slytherin,~ he hissed softly in Parseltongue. The man gave a start.

~Hello. How is it that you speak the tongue of the snakes?~

Harry smiled. ~I do not know. I just know that I was not born with the gift.~

~You're name?~

~Harry Darkice.~

~Are you in Slytherin, young man?~

~No, sir, Gryffindor.~

A small smirk lined the man's face. ~It seems unlikely, for you certainly have Slytherin cunning.~

~The Sorting Hat considered putting me in Slytherin, but it chose Gryffindor in the end.~ Harry paused slightly. ~Er... what may I address you as, Lord Slytherin?~

~You may call me Salazar,~ the Founder replied. ~Now, what was it you wanted?~

~My potions partner is Severus Snape,~ Harry explained. ~He was to meet me in the empty classroom, but he has not yet come. I was wondering what was taking so long.~

Salazar nodded in comprehension. ~Very well,~ he said. ~I will allow you to enter the Common Room for today. Promise, however, that you will come back out as soon as you find Severus.~

~You have my word, Salazar.~

The portrait nodded, then swung open. Harry grinned slightly and stepped in.

A movement in the Common Room stopped as the Gryffindor stepped into the green and silver room. There was a second of silence before the shouting broke out.

"How did you get in?" A Slytherin demanded. "How did you get the password?"

Harry smirked. "I have my ways," he answered. "Now, where's Severus Snape?"

A minute later, Severus stepped into the room. "What--" he began, but froze when he saw Harry. "Darkice," he growled menacingly. "What the HELL are you doing in here?"

Harry smirked. "Coming to get you, Severus. You were supposed to be in the empty classroom to work on the potion. Where the devil were /you/?"

Severus was about to answer when Lucius Malfoy spoke again, cutting in. "YOU!" He snarled, livid with rage. "How DARE you step foot into the Slytherin Common Room? How did you get in? Tell me!"

"I wouldn't /normally/ tell you, but since you're so curious, let's just say, Salazar let me in." Harry inwardly grinned at the confused look on the blond's face.

"You," Lucius said angrily. "I challenge you to a Wizard's Duel, Darkice!"

Harry was slightly surprised for a second before he shook his head. "I won't waste my time on you, Malfoy," he snarled. "Severus, are you coming or not?"

Severus nodded slightly. "I'll come in a second," he said darkly. "But you better not do anything else, Darkice, I warn you!"

Harry nodded. "Don't worry," he said as he turned to leave. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Lucius pull out his wand.

"C---"

Whipping out his wand, Harry turned around and stunned the blond before the Slytherin even had a chance to get the first syllable out. "Listen, Malfoy," he said warningly. "I didn't accept your duel, but that doesn't mean I'm going to allow you to treat others like dirt." With the final warning, Harry left the Slytherin Common Room.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A few minutes later, Severus walked over to the spare classroom and pulled open the door. Before he knew what was happening, he found a wand pointed in his face.

Looking up, he saw Harry lower his wand and mutter sheepishly, "Oops, sorry about that, Sev. I thought it was someone else."

Severus just nodded as he walked across the room. He was surprised that the Gryffindor was so quick in defending himself. Such was usually a Slytherin trait. He also noticed that the boy had used his nickname. Usually, he hated it, but for some reason, he found that he didn't mind it when Harry said it.

He looked into the boiling cauldron. Opening a bottle of dried lacewing flies, he asked, "Hey, how DID you get into the Slytherin Common Room? Where did you get the password?"

The boy seemed to be fighting an internal struggle before replying. "Salazar let me in."

"Salazar Slytherin let a /Gryffindor/ into the Common Room?" Severus scoffed. "Don't lie."

To his surprise, he saw a hurt look in the other's eyes before it disappeared. "I wasn't lying, Severus," the Gryffindor said. "I talked to him and explained I was looking for him. He let me in."

For some reason, Severus found himself believing Harry, although he found it strange that the Founder had let the boy in without question. He had a feeling that the Gryffindor was leaving something out. Shrugging, he walked over and began chopping boomslang skin. Harry was next to him, stirring the liquid inside the cauldron.

He was almost done when suddenly, a pain shot through his left forearm. The Dark Lord was calling. His right hand went down to clamp around his left while he tried to stifle his exclamation of pain. He hoped Harry hadn't realized.

Too late.

"Severus?" The boy asked, turning. Seeing him, the Gryffindor asked worriedly, "What's wrong? Did you cut yourself?"

Severus was surprised to see genuine surprise in Harry's demeanor. He was about to think of an excuse to leave, he saw realization light up in the other's emerald green eyes.

"Damn, he's calling, isn't he?" Harry asked. "You'd better go, Sev, before he gets angry. I'll deal with the potion."

To say Severus was shocked have been an understatement. "How do you know?"

"We'll talk to you when you get back, Severus. Hurry, go."

Severus nodded hurried off till he was outside of the wards. Taking a deep breath, he Apparated, joining the others. They each dropped to their knees when Voldemort appeared.

"Lucius, anything new information?

"I'm sorry, not today, My Lord."

"I expect better from you next time," the Dark Lord snapped. "Severus? I hear there are a few new Gryffindors at Hogwarts?"

"Yes, my lord. They are each very powerful and well-prepared. Harry Darkice was the one who fought in the last Death Eater attack."

"What do you know of him?"

"His father is Severus Darkice, the Potions professor. He is a transfer student."

Voldemort circled around Severus who looked down submissively. "I understand the two of you are Potions partners. Try to recruit him. I want him on my side."

"Yes my lord," he said, hiding his apprehension behind his mask. He didn't want to drag Harry into this mess. Although he didn't know the boy well, he had come to think of him as a... kind of friend in the past week. He didn't exactly want to loose him. He just hoped he would be able to think of a way to keep him away from the Dark Lord.

Severus hardly slept that night. He kept on worrying about how Harry knew about him. He knew the Gryffindor obviously detested Voldemort, so why hadn't he (Harry) turned Severus in before now if he (Harry) knew he (Severus) was a Death Eater?

It was dawn when he finally fell asleep.

To be continued...
End Notes:
PLEASE REVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=244