When Glass Houses Shatter by snapeswidow
Summary: You think you know someone, and then one day you're surprised to learn that all you thought about that person was a lie. You were wrong. For Snape, his glass house shatters as a final dark secret is revealed. Entrant in the 2011 Fic Exchange. Written for MiuBlaze.
Categories: Fic Fests > #13 Fic Exchange 2011, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Misc > All written in Snape's POV Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2359 Read: 5565 Published: 19 Feb 2011 Updated: 19 Feb 2011
Story Notes:
This is my first attempt at a Harry/Draco/Snape fic. I hope you like it.  A huge thank you goes out to my wonderful beta Lady Lanera, and  to Daughter of Ares for putting up with my constant pestering.
When Glass Houses Shatter by snapeswidow

Severus glanced up as he heard yelling followed by a loud thump as something heavy hit the floor above him. Growling in frustration at another interrupted brewing, Severus banished the contents of his cauldron. This was the third day in a row that he had to stop what he was doing because the two twelve-year-olds he was living with were hell-bent on killing each other.

Two days ago, he had to confiscate both Harry and Draco's wands after Harry had cast a Bat Boogie hex on Draco, and yesterday their brooms were taken away after Draco decided to retaliate for the hex by ramming into Harry while in the air. As another loud thump sounded from the room above, Severus quickly took the basement stairs two at a time.

"What is the meaning of this?" Severus yelled, making his way into the bedroom the boys shared just as Draco ducked while Harry threw a trainer at the blond. Unfortunately for Severus, he was standing behind Draco. Time seemed to slow down for the Potions Master as the trainer flew through the air.

At that moment, he regretted his inefficiency at Quidditch. Snape couldn't dart to the side quick enough, so the trainer hit him right in the groin. His hand instinctively went to his inner thigh since he had a bit too much self-pride at the moment than to cup his badly bruised assets. His nostrils flared ever so slightly as he breathed through the nearly intolerable pain. It was almost as bad as the Cruciatus in his opinion at that moment. Who knew a twelve-year-old could throw that hard?

Snape had no idea how long he stayed in that position, forcing back the pain . A part of him wanted to run from the room and examine the damage, but he would simply not show that sort of weakness in front of two twelve-year-old troublemakers. Eventually, his breathing returned to normal, and he stood up from the floor, wondering when he'd fallen to his knees. Taking several deep breaths, he once again demanded to know what was going on between the two boys.

Snape narrowed his eyes as Draco glanced nervously at Harry then back to him. Harry was glaring openly at Draco, almost threateningly. Draco bit his lip and looked up at him pleadingly. He obviously had something to share. Just as his godson opened his mouth to speak, Harry interrupted him.

"Draco," hissed Harry.

Draco immediately lowered his eyes, confusing Snape. Why would his godson be afraid of Harry? And why now?

"Draco," Snape said with a small warning in his voice. "Tell me why you were fighting. Now."

Draco whimpered and shook his head. What could have gotten the usually forthright boy so shook up? Rubbing the bridge of his nose before crossing his arms, Snape glanced at Harry. The normally peaceful, though trouble seeking, boy was still glaring hotly at Draco. Harry's posture reeked of rage and yet, he seemed defensive. Snape knew he was hiding something, and somehow the perfect little Gryffindor had conned the Slytherin into his game. Snape's eyes narrowed. Well, James Potter's clone had a thing or two to learn still if he thought he could hide anything from the Head of Slytherin. It was unfortunate that Draco was foolish enough to think Harry could win this battle.

"As you wish," Snape drawled, smirking slightly as both boys' heads snapped up to look at him. "If you do not wish to tell me why you were fighting, you don't have to." The look of fear in Draco's eyes was almost amusing, while Harry only looked lightly suspicious. "Of course," Snape continued, mock regret flavoring his words. "You'll be spending a very long time in the corner if you don't."

Grabbing both boys by the collar, Snape marched them into the kitchen and had them both face the opposite corner on one wall. Glancing at the wall clock, Severus decided to start making dinner, giving him an excuse to keep an eye on the boys.

Walking over to the refrigerator, Severus took out some carrots, potatoes, onions, celery, and some beef to make a stew. It would take a long time to cook, hours even if he made it the Muggle way. He wanted the boys to think he would make them stand facing the wall until it was finished.

Taking the carrots and slicing them for the stew, Severus caught movement out of the corner of his eye. Draco was nodding his head in a way to try to get Harry's attention. "Mr. Malfoy, I suggest you keep still, or the two of you will be standing there all night," he said as he added the carrots into the stew and moved on to cutting up the potatoes.

After all the ingredients were chopped and placed in the pot, Severus filled it with some water and set it on the stove to boil. Placing a Quick Cook spell on the pot before walking over to the table, Severus glanced at the boys before sitting to read the Daily Prophet as the stew cooked. Once again, he caught his godson trying to get Harry's attention. "Mr. Malfoy, need I remind you to keep still?" he asked, raising an eyebrow towards the blond. Severus couldn't understand why the boy was so intent on getting Harry's attention when all he had to do was tell him what the fight was about to get out of the corner.

If Severus knew being in charge of the two boys was going to be this stressful, he would've never accepted to take them both. Draco was his godson, so Severus had no other choice but to take the boy when his parents were sentenced to Azkaban after the Chamber of Secrets incident. When the Ministry caught word that it had been Voldemort's old diary that had led to the near death of two students, and Lucius Malfoy was the last person to be in possession of such a dark artifact, a raid was conducted on Malfoy Manor. Numerous other Dark Artifacts were found, including a spell that would resurrect the Dark Lord.

Harry, on the other hand, was forced upon him by the meddling old fool who called himself Headmaster. When Potter's relatives failed to pick him up at Kings Cross Station, the conductor of the Hogwarts Express contacted Dumbledore. In turn, Dumbledore made Severus check on the Dursleys. Unfortunately, when he had gotten to Number 4 Privet Drive, the house was empty. So Harry was sent back to the castle, while Aurors investigated the disappearance.

After a week with no sign of the Dursleys, Dumbledore gave Severus the great news of who would take the boy until his relatives were located. Severus had insisted the boy be placed with the Weasleys, but Dumbledore argued, claiming that they were in Egypt. When Severus then suggested the boy stay at Hogwarts, he was again shot down. Not wanting to be outmaneuvered by the old man, Severus brought up the mutual hatred between Mr. Potter and Mr. Malfoy, and that he wouldn't be responsible if they killed each other. Dumbledore, the old fool, had won the argument by playing his infamous 'Lily card' he always had up his sleeve that he knew Severus couldn't say no to.

A sigh from the corner pulled Severus out of his thoughts, and he glanced at the boys once again. Why they would rather stand there in the corner like two five-year-olds instead of coming clean about the fight was beyond him. He then smirked. Draco had some kind of dirt on Harry, and it was so unlike the snotty Slytherin not to use it to his advantage. It was frustrating. Thinking of a way to get the information out of the boy, Severus stood and went back to the stove to check on the stew. Seeing that it was done, Severus thought about sitting down and eating while the boys still stood in the corner, but thought better of it. He could be cruel at times, but that was going a little too far.

"Mr. Malfoy, since you seem to be so keen on not being able to stay still, come set the table," Severus said as he took the stew off the stove and placed it on the table along with a bowl. "Mr. Potter, you may sit down."

Severus almost smirked at the dirty look Draco gave Harry. Severus' new plan was to 'Divide and concur'. If he got Draco mad enough at Harry, Severus knew the boy would give in. "Sit down, Mr. Potter." He then glanced at Draco. "I believe I told you to set the table, Mr. Malfoy."

"But-"

"Do as you're told," Severus interrupted as he sat down also.

Snape was surprised that Draco didn't put up more of a fight as the blond opened the cabinet to get the bowls. The silverware did clang a bit more than necessary as Draco retrieved it from the drawer, but Snape said nothing to the boy. He would wait. Eventually, Draco would cave.

Fortunately, stew tastes even better as leftovers, Snape thought as the two growing preteens nibbled on their stew. He'd made sure that dinner passed in silence. He would not give the boys a chance to regroup. After about thirty tedious minutes of watching his masterpiece of the culinary arts go to waste in the bowls of his two charges, Snape was ready to throttle something. Dumbledore seemed like an adequate target.

Taking a deep breath, Snape easily controlled his voice. "Mr. Potter, if you are done eating, go to your room and get ready for bed. I'll be there shortly. Mr. Malfoy," Snape said, stopping Draco in his tracks as he too rose from his chair. Apparently the young Slytherin thought his name was Potter. "You will clear the table before going to your room as well."

Watching Draco clear the table, Severus decided to see if he could get any answers out of the boy now that Harry wasn't in the room. "I find it fascinating, Draco," Snape said trying to sound truly curious and not angry, "how on any other day you'd gladly rat out Harry, but today you'd rather be treated like a house elf than tell me a simple thing like what started your fight." Watching as the boy's shoulders sagged in what could only be defeat, Severus thought he had won.

"I can't, sir." Draco said, catching him off guard.

"You can't or you won't?" Severus asked, getting tired of this game the boy was playing.

"I can't, sir," Draco repeated, this time looking Severus in the eye. "It's not for me to tell. If you really want to know, go ask Harry," the young man replied, a hint of defiance in his voice.

"Have it your way than," he said, rising from his chair. As he headed towards the boys' room, he turned back for a moment. "And you just earned yourself the task of washing the dishes for the cheek," Severus added. He then silently left the grumpy child in the kitchen.

Severus walked down the hall to boys' room, intending to do exactly what Draco said, and ask Harry what it was that Draco couldn't tell him. Stepping into the room, Severus was surprised to see that Harry was already in bed, his back to the door. Knocking lightly on the doorframe to get Harry's attention, Severus scowled as the boy refused to turn around and acknowledge his presence.

"Mr. Potter, I know you are not asleep, and I would appreciate it if you faced me when I am speaking." When Harry still refused to turn around, Severus' patience finally wore out. Stalking over to the bed, He grabbed the collar of Harry's pajamas and yanked him out of the bed. "You arrogant little whelp. I am tired of this game you have been playing with Draco and me all day," Snape yelled in Harry's face before letting go of the boy, causing him to land unceremoniously on his arse. "I demand to know what the fight this afternoon was about now!"

Severus watched the boy shake his head venomously as he slowly scooted himself away. Growling in frustration, Severus reached down to haul the boy off the floor when a glass shattered against the far wall. Spinning around, Severus saw Draco standing in the doorway with a look of pure rage on his face and another glass in his hand.

"LEAVE HIM ALONE!" Draco shouted, storming into the room and placing himself between Harry and Severus. Severus was taken aback by the open hostility and fierce protectiveness of Draco that he was speechless.

"You want to know what the fight was about? I'll tell you what it was about, just leave Harry alone for once," Draco spat out before turning towards Harry and offering him a hand up off the floor.

Severus watched Draco lead Harry to the bed and sit next to the boy. A moment passed as Draco looked Harry in the eye asking for permission to speak. With a sigh that seemed to come from his soul, Harry nodded.

"Harry talks in his sleep a lot," Draco said, looking Severus in the eye once more.

Severus listened, utterly stunned as Draco told him of the things Harry has said in his sleep: how Harry was treated more like an abused house elf than a child, how for ten years Harry had lived in a cupboard under the stairs, and how out of fear rather than love his relatives finally moved him into a bedroom. Though, this wasn't a normal bedroom that was fit for any child. It was a bedroom with barred windows, numerous locks on the outside of the door, and a cat flap to push his meals through when his relatives remembered to feed him. Severus could only listen in shocked silence as the realization hit him how wrong he was about Harry. How could anyone have done this to a child-to Lily's child-to the child who was now his?

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2454