Digging for the Bones by Paganaidd
Past Featured StorySummary: Rather than allowing Harry to stay at Diagon Alley after he blew up Aunt Marge, the Ministry sends Harry back to the Dursleys. Harry returns to school after a terrible summer, to find that he's not the only one with this kind of secret. A student has been killed by his family. New screening measures are put into place by the Ministry: Every student must be given a medical exam and interview to look for child abuse. With Dumbledore facing an inquiry, Snape is entrusted with the task of making sure EVERYONE receives one.
Categories: Healer Snape, Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hermione, McGonagall, Neville, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Neglect, Self-harm, Suicide Themes, Violence
Prompts: New Measures for Screening Abuse
Challenges: New Measures for Screening Abuse
Series: None
Chapters: 62 Completed: Yes Word count: 201737 Read: 1189537 Published: 24 Feb 2011 Updated: 27 Nov 2014
Secrets by Paganaidd
Author's Notes:
Had a hard time with this chapter. Hope it works!
That Saturday morning, Harry decided he wouldn’t get up until he’d heard all his dorm mates leave.  He didn’t bothered to reply to Ron’s persistent calling, until the red head actually put his head through the curtains.

“Oi, Harry.  You getting up?” Ron sounded as though he was trying to be casual.  And failing.

“Leave me the hell alone, Ron.” Harry hissed.  He lay with his head still buried in the pillows and the blankets over his head.  It was childish and stupid, but he wasn’t ready to face anyone.  He didn’t know what they’d told Lupin and he didn’t think he wanted to know.

Silence, then, “Yeah, okay.”  Ron sounded hurt and taken aback

Footsteps walking away and the the door opening and closing.  Harry cautiously picked up his head.  He was, indeed, alone.  

Harry had had uneasy dreams all night.  His mind kept going back to Lupin telling him that his relatives couldn’t be allowed to continue to treat him the way they did.  He assumed it was meant to be reassuring, but Harry had been down this road before.  

Lupin would have a chat with the Dursleys and tell him his concerns.  Petunia would wail that the boy was unmanageable and Vernon would say he just used too firm a hand, that one time.  Purely out of frustration, you understand.  And of course, Harry often provoked Dudley.   Dudley was a very sensitive boy, who lost his temper easily to the smaller one’s blandishments.  When they fought, Dudley had no idea of his own strength.  Oh, and Harry really was clumsy.

The adults would have a fine meeting and would all be in agreement.

The next time Harry went home, the fun would truly begin.

This had happened in primary school, too.  The nurse had gotten it into her head that the Dursleys were somehow mistreating Harry and had met with them.  She’d even come to the house.  Harry had been sent outside to “play” with Dudley, so he never heard the conversation.  The nurse had looked at him sadly, as she left.  That night Harry had gotten to hear the full catalogue of his faults.  It had decreased Uncle Vernon’s casual slaps for a while, but for months, Harry had had to listen to Vernon and Petunia tell him what an incredible burden he was for them.

It also happened once in a while, on a smaller scale, when Harry and Dudley had been down the shops with Petunia.  Petunia would get stressed and shout at Harry for something, some well meaning passer by would remonstrate her for her tone.  After the person had left, Petunia would launch into one of her tirades about what an ungrateful burden Harry was.

Harry pretty much preferred to be smacked, most days, than listen to that.  Like what Marge had said about his parents, the words seemed to crawl inside his head, “Freak. Useless. Stupid. Lazy.”

Worse yet, Snape would probably talk to them as well.  Anything the Dursleys made up about Harry, Snape would believe, as long as it was unpleasant.

Harry had resigned himself long ago to the fact that he was stuck with the Dursleys.  Last summer had been a bit of a nightmare, but it was over now.  It wasn’t anything like Neville’s situation.

Rumors had been going around the school about a few of the other students.  The speculation of a few days ago had morphed into a more solid list of people.  Word around the common room was that a shy little Hufflepuff girl had yet to return to school, after being whisked away by the healers.  She was in Ginny’s year and Harry honestly couldn’t have said what her name was or if he had ever seen her.  

A few others had been mentioned, but thus far no other Griffyndors.  Harry didn’t try to follow the gossip, just grateful his name wasn’t included.  

Naturally, today, that would change.  Lupin would have a quiet talk with the teachers and they would start treating Harry as though he were made of spun glass.  Harry assumed that the students who weren’t completely stupid, would read the signs of that.  His housemates, and the the rest of the school would catch on to what Harry really was.

The Boy Who Lived: unwanted orphan.

Curiously, that Professor Snape was filling in for the Headmaster was sort of a source of comfort.  Harry had never known the man to go back on a promise (or a threat).  He often favored his Slytherins outrageously and he was a bully, to be sure, but he was...reliable?  Predictable.

Snape had said that he wouldn’t tell anyone.  So therefore, he would not.

Lupin though, with his sympathetic looks and his kind eyes could cause some trouble for Harry.  Do gooders always did.  Hopefully, Snape wouldn’t let Lupin say anything either.

Harry finally got up around lunch time.  At first glance, the common room was empty.  Sitting down in his favorite chair by the fire, Harry realized that Ginny was curled up in the opposing one, her head resting on the arm of the chair.  

At first he thought she was asleep, but she stirred and opened reddened eyes, “Hi, Harry.” she mumbled.

“Hi, Ginny.” he sighed, “Not going to lunch?”

Ginny shook her head, “Not hungry.  You?” she uncurled from the chair and sat up.

“Me either.” he shrugged.

“You and Ron have a row?” she asked, dully.

“Sort of.” Harry replied.  Ginny was the last person he wanted to talk about it with.

She didn’t press him.  She just sighed and rubbed her eyes, “I’m going to the library.  See you.”  

She got up and headed out the door.

Harry decided he’d better do the same before anyone else wanted to talk to him.

:::::::::::::::

Severus was already regretting asking the wolf to come with him.  But really, who else would be better? The forms would need a witness to sign them.  If nothing else, Lupin had been devoted to James Potter.  He would have his own reasons to keep this quiet.

Severus looked over the parchment from Harry’s exam again.  He’d have to give it to Poppy, but she could be trusted absolutely.   Fortunately, the Ministry didn’t require the results of each exam, only the ones deemed troublesome by the healers and himself.  Poppy was discreet, as well.  She’d understand completely.

Albus wasn’t  likely to be a problem.  He wouldn’t like this turn of events very much, but after Longbottom, he was doubting many of his decisions.  Severus decided he would deal with Albus when he got back.  

The real problem would be Potter.  He wouldn’t accept the change in guardianship without a fight, Severus assumed.  The boy was far too used to going his own way.  Although, this new knowledge Severus had made some of Potter’s more ridiculous stunts come into better focus.

Frankly, when Severus went over the child’s results, he wondered why the boy wasn’t more of a savage than he was.

A quiet knock at the door roused  Severus from his reverie.

“Come in, Lupin.” called Severus, glancing at the clock.  They were setting out for Little Whinging in fifteen minutes and Lupin was always punctual (one of the few good things Severus had ever thought of the man).

“So, Severus.  Are you going to tell me how you propose to take care of this without the Ministry hearing?” asked Lupin as he came in through the door, before he had even closed it.

Severus slammed the door behind him with a flick of his wand, “I won’t, if you inform the whole castle.” he growled, rising form his desk chair.

To Severus’ complete irritation, Lupin rolled his eyes, “No one’s in the corridor.  I checked.” He leaned casually against the arm of Severus’ setee.

Taking a deep breath, Severus picked up the old parchment laying on his desk.  He held it tightly, “Lupin, I must have your word that you will never tell anyone what I am about to share with you.”

The werewolf looked at him blankly, “Of course, but...”

“If you repeat any of this, I will kill you.  Do you understand?”

Lupin seemed to understand that he was completely serious.  “You have my word, Severus.” he replied slowly.

It was harder than he thought it would be, to extend his hand and give the letter to Lupin.  He watched the other man’s eyes go wide and then narrow in confusion, “Why on earth would Lily..?”

“Ask me to look after the boy?” finished Severus sourly.

“Well, yes.” Lupin handed the letter back to Severus looking thunderstruck,   “You were working for Voldemort then.”

“Actually, at the time, I was spying for Dumbledore.” said Severus softly, taking the letter back.  He tucked it carefully into the pocket of his robes where it kept company with the several other parchments he would need today.

“So, why didn’t you take Harry, after Sirius..?” Lupin swallowed.

“I had...personal reasons.” grunted Severus, “Why didn’t you?”

The other wizard sagged against the back of the setee.  The sunlight that came in through Severus’ false window illuminated the man’s face, highlighting his tired visage, “I tried.  But, most of the werewolves were on Voldemort’s side, in the War.  The Ministry wouldn’t hear of it, and Harry had already been placed with Lily’s sister.  I thought I’d leave well enough alone.” Lupin ran his hand through his hair, “But, that still doesn’t explain how you’re going to transfer guardianship without the Ministry finding out.  They’re sure to have questions as to why.”

“Not if the new guardian was also a blood relative.” Severus said quietly, “No alarms would go off at the Ministry.  Especially if the guardian in question was of closer relation than an aunt.”

“What?” demanded Lupin, “Start talking sense.  Harry has no other blood relations.” Comprehension seemed to dawn slowly on the man’s face and he began to look angry.  He fingered his wand as though he wanted to hex Severus, “What are you trying to say? Don’t you tell me that Albus lied about Petunia being the only living family left.” he growled.

“This is one that even Albus doesn’t know about.”  Severus sat down at his desk again, rubbing his face with one hand, silently asking Lily for forgiveness, “Did...did Potter the elder ever tell you how much trouble they had conceiving their son?”

“I didn’t know they had any trouble.” replied Lupin, quizzically, “Harry was born when they’d been married two years.  I didn’t think it was that long.  I just thought Lily wanted to finish her healer training and James had only just qualified as an Auror.”

“Ah.” sighed Severus,  “Well, they’d been trying for over a year when Lily contacted me.  It was Halloween night.  Two years before she died.  Before,“ Severus swallowed, “Before she was targeted by the Dark Lord.”

Severus had been more than surprised to find Lily standing at his door, tear streaked and windblown, “I don’t know where else to go.” she said as he’d drawn her in through the door.  And then, through her sobs, she’d spilled the whole tale at Severus’ feet.

“She had suspected the problem was James.  She’d already had the diagnostic charms run on herself.” Severus told Lupin, coming back to the present, “That day, she’d taken it on herself to run some on James with him unaware.  He was unable to father children.”

“No.  That can’t be right...she told us she was expecting at Christmas that year.”

“I agreed to help her.” Severus admitted quietly.

“Help her?” Lupin looked like he’d been the victim of a Confoundus charm, he looked so befuddled.

“Must I spell it out for you?” asked Severus dryly.

“Oh, but...Harry...he looks exactly like...” Lupin got Severus’ meaning, but appeared to be trying to reject the entire notion.

“Have you never heard of a potion called Occludus Paternus?  Very popular among women whose husbands suffer from this particular Pure Blood malady.  And those who are wont to take lovers.”

Lupin stared at Severus.  “She and you?”

“That is the general way.”  Severus replied, harshly.

“How many times?” asked Lupin, in a whisper.

“I beg your pardon?” asked Severus, in surprise.

Lupin took a deep breath, “Was it just to conceive the child or was Lily...?”  he seemed on the verge of tears.

“I assure you, between us, Lily and I made sure that she would be caught the first time.” replied Snape evenly.

“So...so just...just the once?  Why didn’t she come to us though?  Sirius would have.  In a heart beat.  I know that James would have been all right with it.” babbled the other wizard, “She must have known that.”

No doubt Black would have jumped at the chance, Severus thought snidely.  He only said though, “Perhaps Lily was a better judge of character.”

Lupin fell silent, looking upset, “But still, why you?” he asked after a moment.

Severus looked at the man squarely, “Because she’d once been my best friend.  Because she knew I’d keep her secret.  Because she knew I loved her and I wouldn’t take advantage of the situation.”

“Wouldn’t take advantage?  What does that mean?”

“Let us just say that, though I loved Lily, she wasn’t exactly my,” Severus paused delicately, “Type.”

“Oh.” Lupin digested that, “But this means your Harry’s fa--”

“No, Lupin.  James Potter was the boy’s father, in every way that mattered.”  Severus said in his deadliest voice, “And you will not reveal this to the boy.  We will tell him that I am the only one available at the moment.  If necessary, we will lie to him.  It’s likely that I can transfer guardianship to Dumbledore or Minerva in the spring, when the political climate isn’t so volatile.  But, I will be damned if I’m allowing Petunia to maintain guardianship over Lily’s son another day."


The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2463