Whispers in the Dark by Victory-Starr
Summary: In the summer before Harry's second year, it's discovered that Lily didn't die, but was instead held prisoner for several years.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Lily, Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Neglect, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: No Word count: 59636 Read: 62649 Published: 02 Mar 2011 Updated: 24 Feb 2014
Promises Kept by Victory-Starr

Severus studied the books on the shelves in front of him. The Baske Public Library was small, but it had collected a great amount of books since its establishment in 1914. So many, in fact, they had begun selling off many of their duplicates just to make room for newer books. The shelves were packed, but as far as patrons went, there never seemed to be many inside. It had been that way for as long as Severus could remember.

He'd first discovered the library as a small boy in 1966. After learning to read early on as a child, he soon became bored with his mother's limited supply of books at home. Most of what she had were textbooks from her days at Hogwarts, but as a child who was quite enthralled with the magical school, he had been eager to read through them. Soon his hunger for the imaginative stories he'd always loved led him to the small library, and it soon became his favourite location, only to be replaced by Hogwarts when he turned eleven.

The librarian, Mary Stone, had been in her late thirties at the time. She was an attractive woman, as far as looks went, but her disposition left a lot to be desired and most people saw her as harsh and abrasive. He remembered how she'd watch him wander through the aisles, always sure he was a delinquent child out to steal and ruin her books. But Severus had never defaced a book in his life, or at least one that wasn't his own. He had dozens of textbooks piled in his attic and office that had notes scribbled into their margins. However, library books he had always treated with care, especially since he knew that if he were to lose or ruin one, the bill would be sent to his mother, and when his father found out, the consequences would have been harsh.

Now, as an adult, Severus didn't spend nearly as much time in Muggle libraries as he had as a child. These days, he didn't read many fictional books, instead preferring to peruse a potions journal or something academic. On the occasions he wished to read something else, he just had to dig through his old trunk for the few, but well loved, books of his childhood. The only time he ever visited the little library now was when he wished to research something non-magical, something he couldn't find in Hogwarts' great collection of books.

Something like learning disabilities.

Severus didn't know much about such things, except that they existed. He didn't have any personal experience with them and had never known anybody who did. But after working with Harry the night before, and after thinking about the matter for hours afterwards, he found himself more than a little suspicious that they may have a significant role to play in the boy's struggles.

The library, with their vast collection, had dozens of books on the topic, but Severus didn't quite know what he was looking for. He'd been kneeling on the old, brown carpet for half an hour in front of the education section and had yet to choose a book. He would pull one out, read the inside flap, flip through a few pages, then shove it back onto the shelf.

As he skimmed the pages of a large and tedious book, he heard the quick footsteps of Mrs. Stone approach him from behind. He twisted around.

"Find what you're looking for, Severus?" The librarian stared down at him over her red rimmed bifocals. Her brown hair had long ago turned a dark grey and over the last twenty five years she had gone from stylish to frumpy, but her demeanour hadn't changed.

"I'm afraid not." Severus returned the heavy book to the shelf and stood up. "I need a book on learning disabilities – reading, actually."

The woman squinted at him, then began searching the shelves herself. Her long, aged fingers ran over various bindings. "I'm assuming it's a student of yours that's having problems?"

"That's correct," Severus said. "A boy... about twelve."

"Is the book for him, or is it for you?"

"For myself. I'm attempting to assist him in his school work."

Mrs. Stone pulled a thick, green paperback from the shelf, glanced at it, then held it out. "Try this. It's meant for teachers and parents to help their children. My nephew has a boy with reading issues, and I know he swears by this book."

"Thank you." Severus accepted the book.

She waved a hand and began heading back to the front counter. "If it isn't what you're looking for, come back tomorrow."

Severus followed the librarian to the counter and held the book out to her.

She took it, pulled the card from inside the front cover and wrote in his card number. But before she handed the book back to him, she said, "Severus, I was going through some of our older cards – you know, for books that haven't been returned – and you never returned the BMA Guide to Adolescent Health."

Severus shook his head. "Pardon?"

"You heard me. 1973. I don't know how I didn't discover it then, but I have the card right here." She tugged open a file cabinet and pulled out a card catalogue. After flipping through a few cards, she took out a yellowing one and slapped it down in front of him.

Severus pulled it closer and stared at it. Sure enough, the last time the book had been checked out was August of 1973, and there was his library number written in beside it. But why the book was missing was beyond him.

"I returned the book, Mrs. Stone." He shoved the card back across the desk.

"Impossible." She snatched the card back up and stuck it in the catalogue again. "It's not here. I looked on all the shelves where it might be, and it's not here. I want it back."

"Well, I certainly hope you find it." Severus picked up his book, and walked towards the doors.

"You better bring back that book, Severus Snape!" she called. "Both of them!"

As he let the door swing shut behind him, he didn't even need to turn around to know she was wagging her pen at him, just as she always had.


Upon returning home, Severus left his library book in the sitting room and entered the kitchen. He found Lily kneeling in front of Harry, who sat in a chair at the table. He had his right leg stuck straight out and his trousers rolled up.

Lily had her head bent over her son's knee, but looked up when Severus came through the doorway.

"Oh, hey." She smiled at him. "Find what you were looking for?"

He nodded and crossed his arms. "What did he get into this time?"

"He just tripped and scraped up his knee a bit. He'll be okay." She grabbed a damp flannel from the table and dabbed at the boy's knee.

Severus stepped closer so that he could see the wound better. Lily was right. It was a scrape. It would be sore, but nothing to worry over.

Harry was not at all fazed by the injury. "You should've seen it! I got blood everywhere."

"Oh, hush. You did not." Lily put the flannel down.

"Didn't you see it all over my jeans?"

"There was a little bit of blood, yes." She unwrapped a plastic bandage. "It was a bit hard to notice with the knee of your jeans all torn up."

The boy's smile faltered. "Sorry. I really didn't mean to, Mum."

She placed the bandage on his knee. "I know. Don't worry about it."

"Where were you running?" Severus asked.

"On the street. Mum said I could go exploring." Harry got up from his chair and tested out his injured knee. "Thanks. It feels fine now."

Lily pushed herself up and tousled her son's hair. "Just be careful out there next time, all right? I don't want to have to bandage you up every time you go out."

"If he wants to play out in the neighbourhood that's fine," Severus said. "But he needs to be careful. There's half the people living here than there used to be, however, I don't know who they are. They're likely harmless, but I cannot say for sure."

"If there's danger, I'll run." Harry straightened up from where he'd been unrolling the leg of his trousers. "That's how I tripped this time. I was running from a dog."

"A dog?" Lily's eyes widened.

The boy nodded. "It was a big brown hairy one covered in mud. He just came out of nowhere and I'm – well, I don't like dogs. I ran away before he could come too close, but then I tripped in the alley behind the house. I had to limp inside like a wounded soldier."

"Just be careful, Harry. He was probably friendly, but you never know." Lily brushed a strand of hair behind her ear. "He might've just been hungry."

A tapping noise came from the window.

Harry looked up."What was that?"

"An owl." Severus went to the window. He took a letter from the bird, and it flew away. He looked down at the name on the envelope.

L.E.P.

He held it out to Lily. "It's for you."

"I bet it's from Remus," she breathed, taking the letter and tearing it open. Her eyes scanned the contents. "He says he's happy to hear from me. He talked to Dumbledore, and he wants to see me as soon as possible."

"I hope he was more discreet than that." Severus raised an eyebrow.

Lily held the letter out. "It's very short."

Severus took it. It was not much more than a note.

My dear friend,

It is good to hear from you. Your news, although wonderful, left me with uncertainties. I sought out an old, wise friend for confirmation. I would like to meet as soon as possible. Please let me know when a good time would be.

Best regards,

RJL

Severus smirked. "So Gryffindors are capable of some ambiguity."

"I'm glad a house mate of mine could finally meet your Slytherin standards." Lily rolled her eyes and snatched the letter back.

"I never said that. Lupin has got quite a long way to go. He simply exceeded my very low expectations."

"So prejudiced, Severus." She crossed her arms. "What would you do if you had a child who was sorted into Gryffindor?"

"Suffer a heart attack, most likely."

"Oh, please." She looked like she wanted to argue, but instead glanced back down at the letter. "When can he come?"

"It doesn't matter. It isn't as if our social lives demand we consult a calendar. Although, your friend may want to." Severus smirked. He had never liked Remus Lupin, and had certainly never planned on allowing him into his home. However, for Lily, he would always concede. His voice took on a gentler tone. "This is your home for as long as you want it to be. You're welcome to have over anyone you wish."

She gave him a small smile. "Thanks."

"Was this the friend you were telling me about? Will I get to meet him?" Harry peered at the letter.

Lily handed it to him. "I'm sure you will."

While Harry studied Lupin's letter, Severus picked up the used flannel and changed the subject. "I need to go across the street to fix a parrot's cage this afternoon."

Lily smirked. "Really? Are you helping parrots now?"

"I happen to be assisting an elderly neighbour. The woman has lived here since before I was born, and these days she seems to save all of her household repairs for me. She must make an entire list at the beginning of every summer."

"That's sweet. She probably likes your company."

Severus chose not to argue with her on the point, although he would have liked to point out that he was not sweet. Guilt-ridden, bitter, and handy, yes. But by no means was he sweet. It was easier to assist the woman than have her nag him all summer long.

"Can I come?" Harry rubbed the back of neck.

"No. It shouldn't take long." Severus pulled the cellar door open. "I already started the process a few days ago."

"Does it talk?"

"Not to me. Although, we are not very fond of one another."

Harry sighed. "I still want to come. I promise I won't be a bother. I just want to see the parrot."

Severus frowned.

Lily gave him an amused smile.

"Please?" The boy's voice was softer.

Severus released a breath and gave a reluctant nod. "Yes, yes, fine. You may come along, but if you misbehave even once, I'm sending you back home."

Harry's eyes widened. "Okay. I've gotta get my shoes. Wait for me!"

He turned and dashed up the stairs.

"I may regret this," Severus muttered.

Lily reached out and squeezed his hand. "No, you won't. If he gets in the way, send him home like you said, but I think he'll be fine." Her eyes twinkled as she let go of his hand. "Beside, you two could use some quality time together."

"What would you call last night's homework session?" He scoffed.

She laughed. "That wasn't quality time. That was a detention."

"Yes, for both of us, and to think, we get to do it all over again."

Lily's expression turned serious. "Did you find anything out at the library?"

Severus held out his hand and a small sack floated up through the open cellar door. "I haven't looked at the book yet, but I think I'm on the right track. It would explain why he's having so many problems with his school work."

"Are you going to tell him that?" Her eyes flickered upwards.

He frowned. "Not until I know how to help him."

"Thanks for doing this. Sometimes when I'm with Harry, I just feel lost... and scared." She pinched the bridge of her nose. "I don't know how to be a parent – not a proper one. I don't know what I'm doing."

"Well, neither do I." He shook his head.

"But you do," she insisted, her face earnest. "You deal with kids all the time. You may not be a parent, but you're a teacher. When Harry gives me those sad eyes, I just turn into a pile of mush and cave. You don't do that."

"You need to have more confidence in yourself." Severus began digging through the sack, looking for a specific tool. "Beside, every student I've ever had despises me."

"Harry doesn't."

He looked up. "Since when?"

She shrugged, giving him a small smile. "You haven't been as harsh with him. I think he's warming up to you, and I think you're warming up to him, too."

Severus shoved his hands in his pockets and looked away. "Perhaps he's slightly less of a bother than I always thought he was."

Steps pounded on the stairs and Harry appeared in the doorway.

"Ready?" asked Severus.

"Yes, sir."

Severus nodded his head towards the sitting room, and Harry hurried through the door. Severus turned to Lily. "Would you like to come along as well?"

"Why don't you two go alone this time? It'll be good for you." She nudged him. "I'll go along next time. I need to write Remus back anyway."

With promises to return within the hour, he headed across the street with Harry in tow.


When Snape's neighbour answered the door, she was immediately interested in who Harry was and where he had come from.

"This is Harry. His mother is an old friend of mine, and they are visiting for the summer." Snape looked down. "Harry, this is Mrs. Reed."

Harry shook the old woman's bony hand.

"It's so nice to meet you, Harry. Please, come in, both of you." She stepped aside and invited them into her sitting room.

The first thing Harry noticed about Mrs. Reed's house was that while it looked a lot like Snape's, it smelled like a mixture of birds and mothballs. Snape's house smelled like old books.

In the corner of the room sat a large grey bird in a rusty gold cage. Harry smiled and took a hesitant step towards it.

"Harry wished to meet your bird," Snape explained.

The old woman's face lit up. "Oh, well, come over here, dear. I'll introduce you."

Harry stepped over to the bird and watched as Mrs. Reed unlatched the door on the cage. The bird stepped onto her arm, and she pulled him out. Out the corner of his eye, Harry noticed Snape take a step backwards.

"This is Patrick." Mrs. Reed rubbed the bird's head with her finger. "He's eighteen years old. My dear grandson got him for me in '79 after that horrible mill accident. Wasn't that nice?"

"Yes, ma'am," Harry agreed, although he had no idea what she was talking about. He reached a hand out. "Can I pet him?"

"I wouldn't advise that," Snape murmured from the other side of the room.

Mrs. Reed scoffed. "Nonsense! Patrick loves children. Go ahead, Harry, dear. Be gentle."

Harry reached a cautious finger out and stroked the bird's head. Patrick began making a soft purring sound, much like Hedwig did when she was happy.

"He's very nice." Harry grinned.

Snape cleared his throat. "Perhaps while you are entertaining the bird, I could finish mending his cage. It would be far easier on everyone involved, I believe."

Mrs. Reed agreed and took Patrick with her into the kitchen to get some snacks for Harry.

Once she was out of earshot, Harry asked Snape, "What mill accident?"

Snape held up a hand. "Not now. I will tell you about it later."

Mrs. Reed returned and seated Harry in an old striped chair with a plate of biscuits. While Snape worked on the bird cage, she chattered on about how much her husband, George, would love Harry and how much Harry reminded her of her grandson, Ansel, when he had been that age. When Ansel came to visit, she said, Harry would have to come meet him. Harry promised to do that, which made the old woman look very pleased.

Snape made quick work of the bird cage and soon announced that they needed to return home for supper. Mrs. Reed was disappointed to see them go, but happy that Patrick's cage was mended and she wouldn't have to worry about him getting his head stuck any more.

"Thank you for your help, dear." She gave Snape a pat on the arm. "I will let George know you were here. He'll be sorry he missed you."

Snape nodded. "Perhaps next time."

She smiled. "Perhaps."

Once they were out on the street, Harry looked up at Snape. "What accident?"

"There used to be an old textile mill here. This neighbourhood was packed with all the people that worked there." Snape gestured down the street before going to their own door and ushering Harry inside. "In 1979, there was an explosion of some sort. Eleven people were killed and the mill never reopened."

They walked into the kitchen where Harry's mum was setting some plates on the table. She smiled at them. "You're just in time. How did it go?"

"The cage is fixed, and I got to pet Patrick." Harry dropped down into his chair at the table. "Mrs. Reed said she got him after a mill accident, and Professor Snape was telling me about it."

His mum's face darkened. "That's a sad story."

"Why did her grandson give her a parrot?" Harry watched his mum pour soup into his bowl.

"Because," said Snape, pulling his own chair out, "her husband was one of the workers killed."

Harry scrunched up his face. "George?"

"Yes." Snape picked up a spoon and turned to Harry. "Despite the fact that she speaks of George regularly, he is not actually living. No one has ever seen this grandson of hers either."

"Huh?" Harry sat back in his chair. "I thought they were real. She talked like they were real."

"They are real to her," Snape pointed out.

His mum sat down and patted his hand. "The truth isn't always what it seems. Sometimes the stories are wrong, aren't they?"

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2470