The Family in the Mirror by Phoenixa Nymphadora
Summary: This is a response to a challenge. Snape is asked by Dumbledore to help him move the mirror of Erised to a new location, but when Snape looks in the mirror he sees himself, Lily and you guessed it....Harry Potter.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hermione, James, Lily, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Profanity, Violence
Prompts: The Mirror of Erised
Challenges: The Mirror of Erised
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 7037 Read: 31708 Published: 02 Mar 2011 Updated: 03 Mar 2011
Story Notes:

There is some profanity used, but not much. No one is corporally punished, but almost is, so I put it int he warning to be safe. I rated it K+ because of the use of language. I put the "violence" warning because there is a bit of pushing and shoving in the first chapter.

 Please rate and review. Be as critical as possible. This is my first time writing for something to be reviewed. I must say (as a fair warning) I wrote this in less than 24 hours and probably could have tried harder.

1. Chapter 1 by Phoenixa Nymphadora

2. Chapter 2 by Phoenixa Nymphadora

3. Chapter 3 by Phoenixa Nymphadora

4. Chapter 4 by Phoenixa Nymphadora

5. Chapter 5 by Phoenixa Nymphadora

Chapter 1 by Phoenixa Nymphadora

“What Albus?” Professor Severus Snape, potions master of Hogwarts school for witchcraft and wizardry snapped. The carefree headmaster had interrupted him once more late at night. Severus was sure it was for some trivial reason.

Albus Dumbledore was standing in the doorway of Professor Snape's office

“Severus dear boy, I need you to help me with something.” said Dumbledore, a smile in his gentle voice.

“Albus...” Severus began, he really disliked being addressed as a child.

“Oh Severus it will take no longer than a few moments, come come.” Albus stepped back through the open door and motioned for Severus to come with him. Severus sighed heavily and reluctantly got up and followed the headmaster out of his office.

The two walked silently through the corridors and up a flight of stairs out of the dungeons of which Severus preferred to teach. Once the pair reached the first floor, Severus proceeded to the grand staircase, towards Dumbledore's office.

“Oh no Severus, what I need help with is not in my office” Albus gave a twinkling winner smile and led Severus straight pass the stair case, the entrance hall, and the opening of the Great hall. They walked down another dark corridor and stopped outside of room 1C. Albus charmed the lock and pushed the door open, stepping back, allowing Severus to walk in first. Once in the room, Severus eyed Albus impatiently, still annoyed that Albus would interrupt him in his office for something he was sure Filch could handle. Albus turned on the torches around the room with a flick of his wand and Severus' gasp of surprise wiped any type of impatience he had with the headmaster completely away. Was he really looking at it? THE Mirror of Erised. It was certainly as grand as he heard it was. “C-Can-I?” he stammered dumbly as he started towards the mirror unconsciously.

“Yes, I daresay you may Severus.” Albus had such a seriousness in his voice as he said this that Severus stopped for a moment to stare at the old man. What could he know? Was their a chance that he knew what Severus' deepest desires were without Severus, himself knowing?

“Go on” Albus said sharply, almost demanding.

“What do you know Albus?” asked Severus, bravado leaving him almost completely. What could he be about to see in this mirror that would have Albus act so serious?

“I know many things dear boy” sighed Albus. And he began to hum, to show Severus that he welcomed no more questions.

Severus rolled his eyes. Albus could be frustrating when he wanted to. He took a deep calming breath, hoping Albus didn't notice his courage leaving him and took a large step towards the mirror.

“Her!” shrieked Snape, his stony demeanor fading instantly. He pointed towards the mirror shakily, amazed to see Lily Potter, his first true love. But, she was not alone, he was with her. Severus let a smile penetrate his surprised face, He and Lily Potter, the way it should have been. He looked up and started to glance down, wanting to take in the full picture of he and Lily as a couple --when he saw him.

Harry James Potter. “HIM!” yelled Severus, a dangerous tone to his voice. The son of the man he hated was poisining his special moment with Lily. “Why?” said Severus, a hint of sadness in his voice. Why!” he begged again, his face now contorted with rage and torture. Why was the Potter boy everywhere he looked? Why could he not enjoy this one precious moment with Lily, without the Potter boy.

“Severus” said Albus in a stern, but understanding voice. “Severus, I know what you are feeling for Harry, I know you hate him, but this mirror does not lie. It does not lie Severus.”

Whether Severus believed Albus or not was not apparent, as Severus stalked right pass the old man and slammed the door to room 1C as hard as possible.

***

Back in his dungeons, Severus paced his office, back and forth. He had loved Lily and wanted a family with her of course, but not Harry! Not James Potter's arrogant, self centered, ill behaved, attention seeking brat! Severus stopped mid step and decided to turn back towards his door. He left his office for his quarters. He would just get a good night's rest and everything would be clear tomorrow.

The End.
Chapter 2 by Phoenixa Nymphadora

“Blimey Harry, we're gonna miss breakfast if you sleep any longer!”

Harry rubbed his eyes and laughed sleepily at his best friend Ronald Weasley. Leave it to Ron to be worried about missing breakfast when Mrs. Weasley had just sent them a load of sweets for Christmas. In fact, Harry wouldn't have minded missing breakfast, he did not want to face the cruel reality that Christmas break was over. The dining hall would be packed full of children, reminding him that school was back in session, along with homework and lectures from Hermione about staying on task. This Christmas was his best Christmas, better than any he'd ever had with the Dursley's and he did not want it to end. Two weeks was an awful amount of time to expect a child to be happy with. He gave a great huff. It should have been a month.

He sighed, rolled out of bed and stretched. The first day back. It would be tough getting through the day after such a good break. Especially Snape's class. He'd only been gone from potions two weeks, but he did not remember much of anything from their last lesson and he had a sinking feeling that he flunked his mid-term exams. Surely Snape would bury him in insults today. The greasy git had it out for him.

“Harry lets GO! Hermione is already complaining about being late. Hurry up!” yelled Ron desperately. Hermione was already lighting into him, first day back.

“Alright mom” yelled Harry as he began to quickly dress. He slammed his books messily into his bag and ran into the bathroom to relieve himself and freshen up. He made it down the steps into the common room in an impressing 5 minutes.

“Not bad mate” complimented Ron, obviously impressed that Harry had just been in a deep sleep not even 5 minutes before.

One by one, the group dragged themselves out of the portrait hole, with sullen looks on their faces. Except Hermione, she seemed ready for their studies to begin.

As they neared the dining hall, Ron's face lit up. “Food!” he cried, running full speed into the Great Hall and bumped into, no other than Professor Snape---head first. “Ouch! Watch where you're.....” Ron's voice trailed off upon realizing who he had bumped into. Ron's angry face then changed into one of remorse. What would it be this time? Detention? “Err...uhh....Sorry professor” said Ron. The apology seemed rather forced, Harry noted.

“Mr. Weasley, I would like to come up from my office to eat breakfast on my own. I assure you I need no help from you to get there. 20 points from Gryffindor for your cheek and 30 points for running.” With that Snape turned around, heading towards the dining all once more.

“You slimy git!” yelled someone behind him. Snape turned around and as he assumed, Harry had yelled at him.

“I cannot believe you took 50 points away from us because you were walking to fast! You and Ron collided with each other, he didn't just ram right into you! Maybe if you cut your nasty hair you would be able to see something!” Harry had not known where this anger had come from, he supposed it was the stress of starting back school after break.

“Mr. Potter, do you think it wise to-----” started Snape, enraged.

“I forgot, bats can't see!” Harry gave Snape one of his own famous Sneers and started to march past Snape into the dining hall.

Snapes eyes were filled with true loathing. Strangling the boy would not even be enough to rid his anger.

“Mr. Potter!” Snape reached out with both hands and yanked both Harry and Ron backwards by the back of their robes.

“Ahhh” both boys yelled in suprise. Snape had them tightly by the robes, his death grip unrelenting.

“Ms. Granger you may proceed into the dining hall. I think Mr. Potter and Mr. Weasley will be early to potions today.” With that he turned around sharply dragging Harry and Ron backwards with him. Hermione looked dumbfounded.

Once they reached the stairs leading to the dungeons, Snape turned the boys to him and let them go. “If you run, you will regret it” he threatened icily.

Harry and Ron took a small step back at the same time. Snape had never looked so menacing and evil. “Somebody had a rough night” muttered Ron, with a laugh in his voice. With a murderous glare from Snape, his smile disappeared.

“To my office.” commanded Snape tightly, making the boys march ahead of him. Now that they understood just how angry Snape was, their walk had turned rather slow.

“Quickly!” commanded Snape giving them each a one handed shove. The boys picked up their pace and stopped at Snapes office door.

Snape tapped the door with his wand once, muttered a hurried incantation and the door clicked open softly. The soft sound made Harry feel most uncomfortable. Snape looked as if he was feeling most muderous, such a soft, gentle sound did not belong in such a tense, dreadful situation.

“In.” directed Snape, pointing to the dark interior of his office. As soon as Ron and Harry stepped their first foot into the office, torches blazed on around the walls.

“Nice” Ron said, trying uselessly to get Snape to realize that he was starting to feel some serious remorse. They had never been down to Snape's office, and in Harry's opinion, it wasn't a good thing to be there now.

Snape only scowled at the compliment and motioned for them to sit in the two arm chairs in front of his large desk. He slammed the door shut and walked around his desk to have a seat. He looked across the desk at Harry and Ron.

Harry looked nervous, sorry indeed for insulting Snape. Ron looked confused, like he was trying to decide between fleeing or begging for mercy.

“I'll have you know Mr. Weasley that Running is not in your best interest, and I do not give in to begging for mercy either.”

Ron only glared at the teacher. “Summofbitch” he mumbled under his breath, just loud enough for Harry to hear. Harry glanced at Ron in bewilderment. They were sitting in the dungeons alone with the most evil man in the school while the rest of the school was dining quite contently in the great hall and Ron wanted to call Snape names now? Harry gave ron a panicked look trying to silently tell him to shut up and not act like such a prat.

“So...” said Snape softly. The sound made Harry jump. He had been trying so hard to communicate with Ron that he forgot Snape was silently staring at them.

“Professor--” Harry began, he had no clue what to say, but he wanted Snapes look of loathing to disappear.

“No Potter, words are rendered unnecessary right now. Seeing as though you expressed yourself quite thoroughly a few moments ago.” Snape sneered.

“I ruh-jus...” Harry stopped trying. They might as well take what ever punishment Snape dealt out. If they were lucky they'd have time to run up and grab a piece of toast before potions. Probably not.

“Detention for discrespect. With me. Two nights. Starting tonight.” Snape smirked. He was never happier than when he was punishing James Potter's son and that Weasley boy.

“Two days! You---”

“Ron shut up!” Harry could not believe Ron was being so outspoken when they were under Snapes mercy like this. “Ron, we yelled and were disrespectful to a professor, we have detention, now stuff it before he makes it worse.” Harry said, rather impatiently. Ron was going to hear about this later.

“Fine.” Ron pouted.

Snape could not believe his eyes. He had gone easy on them! After being yelled at and insulted by two first year brats, he only gave them two days of detention and the Weasley boy was going to insult him again for it? How mad would Dumbledore get if he reached out and delivered a well deserved smack to the Weasley boy? At least it wouldn't be to his precious Potter. Snape paused for a second. Had Potter just told Weasley to calm down? Could it be that the brat was feeling bad about his tantrum, that he thought they deserved their punishment? Impossible.

“Weasley, 3 nights detention for you. Leave, both of you. If you are late to my class today, you will be the test subjects of Long Bottoms potion. Out of my office!” With that he stood up and slammed the door, almost closed it on Potter. He smiled to himself at that one.

When he settled back at his desk, he thought for a moment. The mirror....the mirror. Did he really like the Potter boy? The mirror really did not lie, but Potter? How could Severus Snape of all people want Harry James Potter----as a son? “Crazy blasted mirror” he muttered to himself before he got up and left to straighten up his class room and prepare for his first period potions class. First years, Gryffindors and Slytherins.

***

“Ron what the hell is wrong with you?” Harry yelled as soon as they had reached the entrance hall. “Are you bleeding mad? We were in the dungeons alone with SNAPE!”

“Harry that git, he only gave us detention because he was in a pissy mood!” Ron tried to defend himself.

“Alright ….alright mate, but i'd like to live through my first year here if you don't mind.” Harry smiled at this. At the rate they seemed to be going, either Voldemort or Snape were going to kill him before Summer holidays.

“Ooh, great breakfast is still being served” Ron said happily, recovering from his anger over Snape rather quickly.

Harry and Ron quickly made their way to the Gryffindor table and plopped down across from Hermione.

“Hello.” she said shakily. “Are you two ok?”

“Yea, of course” said Harry as Ron said at the same time “The Stupid Git gave us detention!”

Hermione eyed Ron sternly and Harry understood why. What had Ron expected?

She then turned to Harry. “Umm Harry, is that all you got from him? Detention?” she questioned.

“Well two days of it---well 3 for Ron” Ron cut up his sausage with ferocity at the mention of his extra day of dention.

“I see Harry, but that is all, just detention?”

“Yes Hermione!” Harry almost shouted. “What else did you want us to get?”

“No-no, nothing like that Harry, but you yelled at him, called him names, Ron crashed into him head first, then started to yell at him and all you guys got were a few days detention?” She took a deep breath, clearly getting frustrated that her best friends were not processing information quickly enough. “Harry, don't you remember in potions last week, you made a mistake and put beetle dung powder in your strengthening potion instead of bat wing powder?”

“Yea Hermione, but they looked like didn't they?” Was she seriously critizing him on his potions work last week. “What are you getting at Hermione” he asked roughly.

“Harry, Snape gave you two days detention for that mistake, remember?” She gave them both a meaningful look. “And now you yell at him and insult him, and he gives you two days for that? Last week he gave you two days for a small mistake and this week for deliberately insulting him and yelling at him he gives you the same thing!” she finished panicky. Oh didn't they see it?

Harry dropped his toast. Hermione was right. Why had Snape gone so easy on them? It seemed like Snape hated him so much, yet he went so easy on them today, that was odd. Maybe he just wanted to gain his trust so later when he and Voldemort attacked, Harry wouldn't expect it. Yea, Harry thought. He just wants my trust so he and Voldemort and get to me easier.

“Yea Hermione, I see what you mean....”

The End.
Chapter 3 by Phoenixa Nymphadora

After he, Ron and Hermione finished breakfast, they broke out in a full run to make it down to potions on time. Just as Hermione; who was behind Ron and Harry; stepped into the room, the bell rang. “Whew” whispered Ron, wiping invisible sweat from his head.

“Ahh, so glad you made it here on time Weasley and Potter.” sneered Snape. His expression told them otherwise. “10 points from Gryffindor, you should be seated. Oh Ms. Granger, you are up too, another 5 points. Go. Sit. Quickly.” He turned his back on the class and strolled up to his desk. Potter was surely going to pay for making him so confused this morning.

“Today, we will not be brewing potions.” No one seemed upset by the news, except for Granger who had already taken her cauldron, scales and supply kit out. “Today I want to see what you know.” He glared at Harry darkly. Harry took a deep breath and managed a glare back. He was not going to let Snape win today.

“Mr. Potter, you're first. Tell me, what ingredient can be substituted for human hair in poly juice potion?”

Harry had the most confused look on his face. Poly-what? Who would want to drink a potion with someone's hair in it? That is disgusting. Imagine drinking a potion with Snapes oily black strands mixed in it. Ugh.

“Uh, animal hair sir?” asked Harry. He knew his answer was wrong before Snape even opened his mouth. His smirk told it all.

“NO Mr. Potter, Animal hair in Poly-juice potion would corrupt the poiton. The answer is saliva. If you can get saliva instead of hair, the potion would still work effectively. 5 points from Gryffindor for Potter's ignorance.”

The Gryffindors groaned. That wasn't fair. They were only first years, they never discussed Poly-whatever. He didn't even know what the stupid potion was for!

“Thats---We never---” Harry started to defend himself.

“No, that will be all Potter.”

Harry's face grew red. Why was Snape always picking on him? As soon as he arrived at Hogwarts Snape had it out for him. Before he even said a word to the professor.

That was it, he was going to let the professor know once and for all how he felt about him.

“You're damn right it is all!” Harry yelled. The whole class grew silent.

“You are done singling me out and making me seem like an idiot. I'm sorry that you have no life, but you must be inhaling too much of these potions if you think i'm going to take this Snape!” Harry was breathing hard, angry but all Snape did was smirk, sit back in his desk chairr and cross his arms like he was waiting for a 4 year old to finish a tantrum. This made Harry see red.

“I'm done with your smirking, your sneers and your arrogance. You always call me arrogant, but look at you. Just in case you didn't know, no one thinks you look good with your hair like that. So you can take that arrogant look off your face. You probably never had a girfriend in school, such disgusting hair, bad attitude. If any girl did like you, she probably was delusional.” Snape's smirk dissapearred. At this Harry smiled a triumphant smile. So Snape didn't like him speaking about girls?

“Tell me professor? Did you ever have a girl that liked you? Or did the girls avoid you, knowing you were an evil disgusting, oily, twisted old------”

“SHUT UP POTTER!” Snapes voice boomed over Harry's. He had a mental, derranged look on his face. He also looked like he was in pain, pain that could only be eased with death. Harry fell silent, not because of the command, but because of the pained expression on Snapes face. His teacher, who was much younger than his colleagues, beared the pain of a man 3 times his age. Is face had become worn and stony. His eyes contained such misery that Harry wanted to close his eyes, so as not to see them.

He had to apologize. “Professor I---”

“I-Said-shut-up!-POTTER!” Snape had crossed the room to Harry's table, grabbed his robes and was shaking him violently as he pronounced every word. Harry looked into his professor's face with fear. He had heard that sometimes Snape would hit a Slytherin if they were truly deserving. But never had Snape touched a Gryffindor, and in the middle of a class. Harry stared at the professor, silently begging him to let him go. He didn't like being inches from Snapes murderous glare, and he felt very uncomfortable being handled like that in front of a class of students. Snape seemed to hear Harry's silent plee, because he let go of Harry's robes, pushing him past his chair and onto the floor. No one in class said a word. They were all shocked, even the Slytherins said nothing.

Harry looked up at Ron and Hermione---they were frozen with shock. They could not believe Snape had did that. Harry picked himself off the floor and grabbed his bag. He was not going to sit here for the remainder of class and deal with this.

“Potter” Snape said in the coldest voice Harry had ever heard him use.
“Potter sit back down, I will be letting the class go early, so you can sit back down and listen to what I have to say before releasing you unless you would like to be charmed to that seat for the rest of the day.” Harry did not believe for a second that Snape would charm him to a seat for a whole day, but he wouldn't have believed Snape would grab and shake him like that either, he made an about face and quickly marched to his seat, sat down and fixed his eyes on the wall above Snapes head. He couldn't explain why, but he felt so ashamed of himself. Snape was awful to him, and seemed bent on making his life miserable, but he had let them off easy this morning and nothing----NOTHING permitted him to say things to another person that caused them so much pain and hurt. He took a deep breath and waited for Snape to begin what ever he would say so the class could leave.

“I will be letting you all go early today. I have not the self control to keep from killing one of you at the moment, so you all will leave early and wednesday I want a two foot long essay on the potions we have covered this far in the year and their uses” “Potter I want yours 3 feet” he added without even glancing a look in Harry's direction.

“Yes sir” Harry mumbled, his voice was barely audible.

“When you come back for potions on Wednesday, I want that essay to be ready, anyone that does not have it completely finished will receive two zeros and a weeks worth of detention. Goodbye”

The class quickly got to their feet and grabbed for their things, ready to leave Snapes room.

“Potter!” Snape called as Harry was taking a step out the door. “Potter, you will stay in my office after I release everyone from detention tonight. I will teach you how to respect adults.” Before Harry could even turn fully around to question what he meant, Snape shoved Harry hard between the shoulder blades and told him to get out.

The End.
Chapter 4 by Phoenixa Nymphadora

“Come on Ron, let's get this over with.” sighed Harry. He, Ron and Hermione were sitting in the Gryffindor common room doing homework. They had a particularly nasty History of Magic esssay on giant wars in the South before they could start on Snape's 2 foot long(or 3 foot, for Harry) essay. They had come up from dinner two hours ago and were just finishing the History or Magic essay.

“Yea.” agreed Ron.

Harry's stomach had been churning all day by what Snape said as he left the room earlier. What could he have meant? What ever it was, he knew he deserved it, he was angry with himself for the pain he had caused Snape. When he told Hermione and Ron this, they didn't seem to worried by Snapes threat, but why should they? It was Harry that was in for it.

Harry dragged himself up and through the portrait hole. No sense in being late for this detention, he was already in enough trouble.

He and Ron made their way to the dungeons, and to Snape's class room. When they arrived, they saw that 4 other students were also in the classroom waiting for Snape to come and instruct them on what to do for the next couple of hours. The students stood around looking pitifully at one another for five minutes when a disgruntled Snape stalked in. “Brown, Slever---Toilets first and second floor.” “Sanders, Walden-----floors, classrooms 1A through 1L.” Snape said these commands quickly with a snappish impatient air to his words, but when he came to Harry and Ron, he smiled darkly. It would be fun handing them their detention. “Potter and Weasley, I have something special for you.” He looked at Ron first “Weasley, because you think its fun to run in the hallways, you will do just that for this detention. Begin now, running in place. Have fun” Ron looked stunned. All he would have to do for this detention was run? He cracked a smile. Simple.

“You seem to think you will enjoy yourself Weasley” said Snape with an air of someone who knew more than he was letting on. “Uhm, no sir” said Ron innocently and began running in place. Snape then set his eyes on Harry. “Potter, because you cannot control your mouth, and you find it ok to throw tantrums like a four year old, you will be punished like one.” Harry took an involuntary step back. What did Snape think up? Snape smirked “Potter, to that corner. You will spend your detention in that corner. Maybe you will learn to control yourself.” Snape pointed to a corner in the back of the room. Harry could not believe it. What was Snape playing at? What type of detention was this? Ron having to run and he standing in a corner? Snape was going mental. “Corner Potter!” Snape yelled, still pointing. Harry walked over to the corner, feeling silly. “Nose to the wall Potter.” Harry, feeling even more stupid put his nose to the wall.


***


“Come.” Harry sighed in relief when he heard Snape's voice behind him, beckoning him to leave the corner and Ron to stop running. Harry turned stifly and saw Ron drop to the floor. “Up Weasley” he heard Snape say softly. He couldn't focus too much on Ron's struggle because he too was exhausted and could barely move his feet. He had been standing in the corner for a full 3 hours. His legs and back ached, He was tired and it felt like the whole bottom portion of his body had fallen asleep. He walked over to Ron slowly and helped pull his mate up off the floor even though he was tired too. He and Ron struggled to the first chairs they saw and collasped into them. Snape looked like he was going to tell them to get up, but thought better of it. Instead he gave one of his famous smirks.

Harry and Ron stared at Snape expecantly. Surely they wouldn't be allowed to simply leave after such a treachurous detention. Harry chanced a weary glance at Ron. Poor Ron was red, flushed and breathing fast. He didn't run the full three hours, because it was inhuman, but every time he took a break Snape would bring over a replenishing potion and make him start again. He could barely sit up in his seat. Harry thought longingly about his warm bed in Gryffindor tower, though he could do without the painful climb up. Before he could think too far into the future however, he remembered that HE would have to go back to Snapes office. Snape seemed to be thinking along the same lines.

“Mr. Weasley, you may leave. When you come back for your next two detentions, I expect you to start running straightaway. Dismissed!”

Ron gave a tired nod, too exhausted to give a “yes sir.” He tried to get up, but sat back down looking at Snape, pleading for him to let him rest a bit more before making the long trip up to the common room.

“Here Weasley.” Snape grabbed a small bottle and crossed the room to Ron in a few easy strides. Ron drank the potion and immediately sat up in his seat. He wasn't feeling as tired any more.

“I am sure you are capable of walking. Go to your dorm.” “Oh, and Weasley?” Snape smirked. “Please walk.” Snape had that stupid smirk on his face again. Leave it to Snape to kick you when you were down. Harry wanted to say something to Snape about his rudeness to Ron, or about his cruel methods of punishment, but Ron had gotten up and walked out and Snape's attention was fully on him now. He took a deep breath and tried to remember that whatever punishment Snape had concocted to show him to “respect his professors”---he deserved. Because, despite Snapes evil nature, he had been in true pain from words Harry had spoken. He deserved this—whatever it was.

“To my office Potter. Touch nothing.”

The End.
Chapter 5 by Phoenixa Nymphadora

Harry was sitting in Snapes office, trying to catch his breath. The walk from the Potions room to Snapes office, though short was both mentally and physically exhausting. He limped and staggered the entire way to the office, his muscles locking up the whole time, but it was nothing compared to his fast beating heart and is nervous thoughts. What was Snape going to do to him? He said he'd teach Harry a lesson, that meant it wouldn't be lines, would it? If it were lines Snape wouldn't have looked so happy. Harry tried to busy himself with thinking pleasant thoughts. He was soaring through the air on his Nimbus 2000, He was at the welcoming feast enjoying dishes upon dishes of deicious foods, he was standing in front of the mirror of Erised seeing his mum and dad for the very first time...

At this last thought, Harry sighed heavily and blinked back stinging tears. If only his mum and dad were alive, if Voldemort was truly dead, if Snape did not teach at Hogwarts, life would be different. No Dursleys, no scar on his head and no “boy who lived.”

As Harry began to try and imagine life with his parents, Snape opened the door and trotted in. Harry tensed up.

“Potter, I see you have followed directions for once and managed not to throw a tantrum because of it.” said Snape, sneering again, of course.

“Yes.” said Harry shortly, purposely forgetting the “sir”. He was not going to let Snape bully him around tonight. He would simply apologize for his behavior from earlier and take what ever Snape's punishment was and deal with it. He did not need insults from Snape.

“Potter, I believe you forgot something.” said Snape.

“Oh, did I?” asked Harry, appearing all the ignorant.

“Potter!” snapped Snape, not wanting to play games.

“Sir.” Harry said, feeling a bit defeated.

“Potter, we are here to discuss you actions today in my class, do you have anything to say? Or was your grand speech earlier today enough?”

Harry gave the words a few moments thought. He really did want to apologize for attacking Snape earlier, but Snape's indignant attitude was making it impossible to feel bad for him. Harry sighed, he had to make things right, or as right as things would ever be for him and Snape. “Yes...uh sir. I do have something to say.” Snape fixed him with a cold glare. He obviously was not expecting Harry to have anything to say. He wanted to jump right in to yelling at Harry and insulting him.

Harry was nervous to apologize to Snape, he had never spoken a nice word to the man becaue of the way he treated him, and he had no clue how to start. Harry looked around the room for a moment to gather his thoughts and with a deep clearing of the throat from Snape, he pressed on. “Sir, I-I just want to say that I am sorry for how I acted today.”

With this, Snape did not seem surpised. He had expected the apology. The children always seemed to apologize right before they knew they were about to be punished. But he would not hear it. He would not accept the apology of anyone who only apologized because they were in a tight spot. Potter did look quite nervous and like he did feel bad, but how many times had the Slytherins looked the same way, then committed the same incriminating act once more?

Harry looked up at Snape, he seemed to have a questioning look on his face, like he was trying to figure Harry out. Harry sighed again and decided to continue with his apology. He wanted Snape to know that he really was sorry about hurting him and that he wasn't only apologizing because he was in trouble.

“Professor, I know you think I am apologizing because you are angry and I know I am being punished. That's not it though, I promise. I'm apologizing because---” Harry cleared his throat nervously. “Because I-I-I ummm, I saw you were in errr ruh pain.” With this, Harry's cheeks grew red. He chanced a glance at Snape, but his expression was unreadable.

Snape was taken aback by what Harry had just said. Was the Potter boy really apologizing for his angry out burst and hurtful words? Did he really feel bad that he hurt him? Snape could not believe it. Harry had recognized the pained expression on his face, but what else had the boy recognized? If Potter paid attention to close detail, why did he not say anything about Snape going so easy on him this morning with only two detentions?

As if Harry had heard Snape's thoughts, he plowed on. “Professor---err sir...I know you may be surprised that I noticed, but I did see it. When I started to speak about----well ya know---about girls, you looked miserable. I am sorry about that. I know that I lose my temper a lot, but i'm not blaming myself for all of it. Professor, you hate me. I don't know why, I-I don't know what happened, but you hate me. You have been saying mean things to me since our first day of potions. That is why I was so rude to you. I mean I know it's no excuse to be mean to a teacher---er I mean professor, but still. I just want you to know that because it's not fair to have to be kind to someone that hates you and I know you hate me because when you look at me you have this look in your--------”

“Enough Potter” Snape interrupted him. Why was Potter rambling like this? Snape had expected “the boy who lived” to feel arrogant and deserving, but not hated and disliked. There was no denying it however, he really did not like the boy, but it's not like he wanted to kill the boy. He just wanted to make him miserable. Potter had tons of friends, there was simply no reason why one professor's mean looks and words should upset him. Snape felt a stab of regret. He didn't know where it came from, but he didn't want Potter to feel so---so---so singled out. He thought it was obvious he hated all little brats, just Potter a tiny bit more. Snape sighed. “Potter. Potter I do not hate you. Sure, I dislike you greatly, but I do not hate you, so stop feeling so misundersttod. You are eleven, you are too young for these teenage hormonal mood swing issues, so calm down.” His voice sounded angry and Snappish, but his face said other things.

Harry looked into Snapes face. Snape seemed to be feeling bad about the way he treated him. Sure, his voice sounded uncaring, but his eyes. That isn't what Harry wanted though. He wanted to apologize to Snape for what he did to him, not the otherway around. Yes, Snape did need to apologize for treating him badly, but Harry felt that his apology was a little more needed because of the look of pain on Snapes face during class---he could not let that slip his mind easily and apologizing would help, surely it would. “Professor, I just wanted to say I felt bad about earlier today. I was angry, but I didn't want you to be hurt. I only wanted to make you angry, I just wanted to know I had gotten to you. I feel bad. I will take any punishment from you without complaint. I deserve what ever you have thought up.” Harry eyed Snape challenging him to take the bait. He wanted this to be over. He wanted Snape to just punish him so the apologies and weird looks could stop. He wanted Snape to his usual snappish self, not feeling like he owed Harry anything for the ill-treatment of the whole first term.

Snape saw the challenge and dare in Harry's eyes, and as presumed by Harry, he took the bait. Potter did seem sorry, his voice was dripping with sorrow and his words, they seemed true enough. Snape rose from his seat, he would indeed test Potter. If Potter was indeed as sorry as he claimed to be, then he would tell Potter about what he saw in the mirror. He would tell Potter that despite the way he treated him, something inside him wanted to care for the boy. But he would not let him get choked up in a sappy love affair if he didn't need to. “Potter get up and come here. You would like to be punished, and so you will.”

Harry rose from his chair. His legs still hurt and they shook a bit as he rose. He breathing grew fast again as he walked towards Snape's desk.

“Trousers down and lean over my desk Potter.” Snape said this so coldly that Harry wondered if that pitiful looke he gave Harry a moment ago was only an act. No way could Snape have felt that bad and the next he's bending Harry over his desk to thrash him.

Even though Harry was starting to think Snape was seriously going mental, he obeyed him without hesitation or complaint. Anything to make that image of Snape's pained face to go away. He struggled to get his robes up and his trousers down. His legs seemed reluctant to bed for him. He then faced the desk and bent over it. He listened as Snape summoned a thick wooden cane. Harry's breathing got even faster. So it was going to be the cane? He was expecting the switch, maybe even Snape's hand, but not the cane. Harry put his head down flatly on the desk, he was going to take it like a guilty person should take it. He waited for the first sharp smack of the cane, but nothing happened. He closed his eyes, how unfair of Snape to play with his emotions like this. Why couldn't he start and get it over with? He flinched inward again, waiting for the thwack, but again...nothing came. He opened his eyes and stuck his head up. Snape was now standing in front of him staring at him with a look of----was it remorse?

“Potter stand up and pull your trousers up. Then go sit back down.”

Harry looked at him like he had suddenly has fire coming out of his ears.

“Potter, I said to pull your trousers up and go sit back down. Do it now or I will change my mind.”

Harry did not know what exactly Snape was playing at, but he was not going to stand bent over a desk vulnerable while he tried to figure it out. He quickly fixed his clothes and almost ran back to his chair. Snape was letting him off again, the second time today! He plopped back in the chair, thankful that he could without feeling a fire in his backside and looked up at Snape who was still staring at him.

Snape leaned back against his desk, crossed his arms, uncrossed them, started to walk back to his chair, stopped, turned around, turned back around and walked back to his chair again. He sat down in his chair and looked at Harry once more. He was truly seeing Harry for the first time. Harry had let go of his Gryffindor pride and hung his head to accept the painful punishment. He did not argue with Snape when he gave the command to remove his trousers and bend over the desk. Harry really did feel bad about hurting Snape. Well, this changed everything. He would tell Harry about the mirror then.

“Harry” Snape said, using Harry's first name for the very first time.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2471