The Son Becomes the Father by watercrystals
Summary: Following the death of Sirius, Harry isn't sure what to make of the sudden appearance of a six-year-old boy. The pair form a bond, unaware they're half-brothers, and Harry decides to take the boy to Hogwarts and hide him there. To aide the boy's education, Harry anonymously exchanges letters with Snape.

A story of a how a young boy becomes a father-figure to another while their own father is oblivious of their biological existence. But can sixteen-year-old Harry give what he himself has not gained? Can he go an entire year without being discovered? Just how far will Severus go to find the writer of those letters...Or are some things best left unknown?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Eileen Prince, Ginny, Hagrid, Hermione, Luna, Narcissa, Neville, Original Character, Other, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Tonks, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Child fic, Kidnapped, Runaway, Sibling Addition, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer, 6th Year, 7th summer, 8 - Pre Epilogue (adult Harry)
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Character Death, Neglect, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 33 Completed: No Word count: 164477 Read: 236936 Published: 04 Mar 2011 Updated: 06 Oct 2013
Unwelcome Distractions by watercrystals

Anything Severus had thought of or noticed about Harry Potter was long forgotten that night, because the moment he had reached his quarters a burning pain in his left forearm leeched all of his focus as he tried not to cry out.

It was worst than usual... which meant the Dark Lord was angry; hopefully not with him.

Alerting Dumbledore of the situation, Severus headed outside the castle and walked beyond the wards of the gounds before he could apparate away.

Standing composed in a dry, empty field, Severus felt his inside squirming until he was able to control himself, as always; the perfect spy.

'Severus, you came.' Voldemort's silky voice reached him instantly as the Dark Lord seemed to glide towards him.

'Of course, my Lord.' Severus ducked his head and forced himself to bow, keeping his mind strong and performance flawless.

'I wonder though, if your duties are too difficult for you to fulfill to your usual capability?'

'My Lord?' Severus glanced at Voldemort with curiosity though he was really half-panicked that something wasn't right, or he'd been discovered.

'It has been weeks, months even, since you have delivered something worthy to me.' Voldemort frowned. 'Especially considering that Dumbledore has been leading plans to rise against me...yet from you, I hear nothing...not even whispers.'

'Dumbledore is secretive; evasive...he refuses to share even the smallest of details, my Lord!' Severus insisted. 'I shall-I shall try harder.' He ducked his head again to hide his face.

'Yes, you will.' Voldemort said quietly.

It made all the Death Eaters present shiver at the threat implied with such a short sentence.

Severus tried not to react as he knew what was coming, and wished upon prayer that it was only standard, that the Dark Lord was yet to discover his disloyalty.

It was strange how surviving one of these meetings was more important than it used to be, as though Severus now had something to go back to. In the past, he’d have longed for death, to be spared from one torturous day after another for a seemingly never-achievable purpose. Severus was a spy, he had his duty and yet…in hindsight, Severus felt he had nothing and no one.

What was one more day?

Yet Severus remained bowed as he noticed the shadows indicating that Voldemort had raised his wand. Despite his unexpected desire to make it back to Hogwarts this time, Severus still wished that he could be spared from continuation. Spared from the misery that was his life.

Even if the Dark Lord wasn’t aware of the other man’s secret ambitions, the “merciful” lord…did not oblige.

'CRUCIO!'


Harry jerked awake the following morning, his face covered in sweat and his stomach churning.

Tossing aside the covers that felt to be strangling him, he rushed to the bathroom and threw up in the toilet, his face paling further by the second.

It was another nightmare, mixed with a partial vision that he used all his mental power to escape from. It was why he now sat on the tiled floor as his head pounded with pain and his face dripped with sweat and tears, while his hair hung in clumpy strands as he fought to get himself under control.

'Are you alright, Harry?' Neville appeared at the doorway, looking down at him with undisguised concern.

'Should I call Madam Pomfrey?'

'No.' Harry croaked. 'Just...need a m-minute.'

Neville didn't seem to believe him but decided to let the matter drop as he returned to his bed; it was four in the morning.

And it wasn't until everyone else started getting up nearly three hours later that Harry felt confident and calm enough to leave the floor. Going about his usual morning routine, Harry ignored anyone who commented on his pale face or sagging form, even Toby.

Harry was hesitant to enter the Great Hall, thinking that the large arrays of various foods would cause his stomach to feel like live snakes again.

However, as he forced himself forward and prayed to remain composed, he was surprised to notice that the scents of sausages, pancakes, bacon and eggs instead had the reverse impact on him.

Sitting between Seamus and Ginny, Harry began to pile food onto his plate with anticipation.

What he’d thought to be a false alarm did make him feel unstable once he had finished half a plate of eggs and toast. Sipping his pumpkin juice, Harry paused as he noticed the room becoming blurrier and oddly coloured.

Reaching to his face, he removed his glasses and wiped them on his robes. Replacing them over his eyes, nothing seemed any different other then how his ability to see long distance had increased to an alarming rate.

Turning in his seat warily, Harry tested his sight as he looked over at the staff table and flinched at the glare on Snape’s face. It wasn’t directed at him, or anything besides the man’s own untouched plate, and yet Harry wondered what had happened.

He saw the toning in the man’s unnaturally flushed face that had nothing to do with brewing potions, and the way the man gripped his fork as though wishing it were a weapon instead, one in which he could spear his food with little resistance.

It was a bizarre thought, but that’s what came to mind as Harry stared at the man, until his vision blurred and a sharp pain coursed not only through his scar but his left forearm and the back of his neck as well.

‘Harry?’ Ginny reached for him as his head slumped forward and he swayed backwards from the seat. She had managed to grasp a hold of the front of his robes just enough to prevent his head from hitting the stone floor.

Unconscious and sweating as his face paled further and his scar began to bleed small droplets of blood, Harry was unaware of the way the staff and distant students got to their feet to see what was happening. Or the way Snape clutched his own forearm and dashed from the room without making a sound; an incredible feat given the silence of the entire hall.

--

Two hours later, Harry awoke in the Hospital Wing with a fading headache and numb fingertips.

He slowly and cautiously raised himself onto his elbows and looked around to notice Madam Pomfrey talking to Dumbledore a short distance away; far enough that he couldn’t make out a single one of their hushed words.

To his right, between his bed and the next, was a wooden chair where Snape sat hunched forward as his elbows were rested just above his knees. The man's head hung downwards as he watched the floor, or what he could see of it with his curtaining, back hair.

‘A-are you alright, sir?’ Harry asked at the worrying sight of Snape, despite him being the one who had just woken up in a hospital bed.

‘Tired.’ Came the reply that sounded like the usual Snape, and yet the man did not move nor otherwise acknowledge that Harry had woken.

‘Harry!’ Dumbledore spotted him and walked over; looking conflicted between relief and further concern. ‘How are you feeling?’

‘Sore.’ Harry answered honestly.

He ignored the fussing Mediwitch as she instantly whipped out her wand and spelled diagnostics.

‘Where does it hurt?’ Poppy asked the boy while Dumbledore glanced at Severus; even Harry had noticed the expression of surprise on the headmaster’s face.

‘Oh, er…my head.’ Harry answered, still trying to watch Snape. ‘And my fingers feel weird.’

Severus lifted his head at those words though he tried to limit his movement.

‘Do not give him a headache potion, Poppy.’ He cautioned her, his tone almost sounding as tired as he looked.

Curses, little sleep, and nightmares had that impact on a person.

‘What happened?’ Harry was worried now. ‘Why can’t I have the potion?’

‘One does not give medicine to a healthy person, Mr Potter.’

Snape wasn’t having the usual intimidating effect when he was still positioned as in such a hunched manner, though his head was lifted and his hair had been shaken away from obscuring his gaze.

‘If I’m healthy then why am I here?’ Harry frowned; his head throbbed and he wanted that potion to get rid of it. ‘Why did my vision act up and why was I sick this morning?’

‘Competence comes with a price.’ Severus sighed, not caring that he was only riling the teenager further.

Ducking his head again, he allowed Dumbledore to take over and explain to the brat. Severus felt too nauseous and light-headed to do so right now, not that he’d have wanted to anyhow. He hated being proven wrong.

‘Harry.’ Dumbledore stepped forward. ‘We-‘ he indicated to himself and Snape; clearly because Pomfrey looked as lost and concerned as Harry did. ‘-believe that what you experienced today is an uncommon adjustment period that sometimes accompanies tapping into stores of natural, magical talent.’

‘What?’ Harry still didn’t understand. ‘What talent? I didn’t do anything, I was just having a nightmare and…’ He frowned. ‘Sir?’

‘You misunderstand.’ Dumbledore smiled, no longer concerned as Severus’s comment a moment previous to not allow Poppy to give Harry the potion was evidence enough.

‘Your magical core is quite the same; however it has expanded to accommodate your new skills.’

‘What new skills?’ Harry scowled. ‘Can’t you just say something normally instead of talking in riddles and making me guess, for once? This is worst than separating Actogenda juice from Octogena pus.’ He grumbled, recalling the horrendous preparations he had to make for a potion a few weeks ago.

The last response anyone had expected to hear was a loud snort of amusement from Snape.

Barely a second after, the man quickly glanced at Dumbledore and Poppy, pooling his composure and seriousness as he caught their frowning expressions.

‘My apologies.’ Severus swallowed and looked away again, not noticing the small crack of a smile from Harry.

‘The art of both Occlumency and Legilimency are rare and challenging skills for one to learn on their own.’ Dumbledore said, not commenting on either of the boy’s previous words.

‘Very few wizards can accomplish beyond the bare basics and to master both…’ He glanced at Snape (who was currently ignoring him), while Harry listened intently.

‘Can you think of any who have achieved such a disastrously tricky combination of skills to the level of mastery?’ Dumbledore asked.

Harry nodded. ‘Professor Snape, of course, with all that poking around my head last year.’ He grumbled, earning a grunt of annoyance from the man.

Good; being annoyed at Harry was what was considered normal for Snape, the moment he acted like a tired human being then Harry felt them drifting to uncharted, worrying situations.

‘And you?’ Harry guessed, looking at the headmaster again as he spoke. ‘And…Voldemort? I don’t know if he knows Occlumency but the other one…yeah.’ He frowned at his bed sheets, remembering a few times his mind had been attacked by the villain.

‘Yes.’ Dumbledore nodded. ‘That is three. As I said, it is a very rare and near impossible combination in which to master. Though I believe Lord Voldemort only learned Occlumency merely to prove he could.’

‘But you lot are really powerful and all that.’ Harry insisted, earning a scoff from Snape, who was beginning to annoy him now. Why was Snape even here? ‘And what’s that got to do with me?’

‘It seems you have inherited the natural skills, combined as an overall talent in which can be magically tapped into.’ Dumbledore explained.

‘That is to normally say, without any riddling whatsoever, that you are adapting to the new capabilities of being able to begin mastering both Occlumency and Legilimency.’ He said, causing Harry to blush at the implication of his previous comments.

At those words, however, Severus suddenly had the urge to leave the room rather quickly, dreading any mentioning of the brat needing further teaching on the subject.

Yet, the moment he straightened, he winced and felt his energy being sapped.

Biting back a yawn, Severus nodded to the others, lingered his gaze on Harry for a brief moment, and then left the room with determination, his robes not billowing behind him as they usually did.

‘What happened to him?’ Harry asked. ‘And how did I…inherit it? Could my mum or dad do it?’ His eyes lit up with hope, though his mood quickly sank again when Dumbledore did not smile in return.

‘Professor Snape has had a particularly tiring few days.’ Dumbledore with hidden meaning, but Harry understood that it had something to do with the war.

Yet he hadn’t noticed anything too off with the ma the previous day; maybe that’s why he was more civil? Harry lowered his gaze again, a sinking feeling in his chest telling him that maybe it had been a fluke after all, that Snape had simply been too tired to really argue and insult him as per usual.

‘And to my knowledge, James Potter did not…’ Dumbledore began saying but Harry was instead hearing Snape’s voice, “Potter did not possess the patience nor even an ounce of the competency required in which to learn anything behind tying his own shoes with his wand”.

Strangely, it caused him to chuckle, which earned Harry odd looks from the adults.

‘Sorry.’ Harry replied and blushed. ‘What about my mum?’

‘It is possible.’ Dumbledore said in a way that indicated how much he doubted it.

‘Well, there’s no one else, is there?’ Harry asked. ‘Unless I have other relatives?’

He peeked through his own curtains of hair at the headmaster, hoping to catch an answer or implication of what he had already begun to suspect.

He hadn’t even noticed that Madam Pomfrey had returned to her office shortly after Snape’s uncharacteristic snort; she had only just reached his side again with the insisting that he lie down rather then sit perched near the edge of his bed.

He never got the answers he’d wanted from Dumbledore, but it still gave Harry a lot to think about as lunch passed by rather quietly.

Once it became clear that he would have to stay for at least overnight, Harry didn’t bother protesting as he had the last time and instead waited for the Mediwitch to venture back to her office, and mostly out of sight or hearing range.

‘Dobby?’ Harry whispered.

Pop!

‘Master Harry Potter is calling Dobby, sir?’ The house-elf bowed.

‘I need you to do something for me.’ Harry kept his voice low and darted his gaze towards the office as he could no longer see Pomfrey, though the ward remained empty apart from himself and Dobby.

‘Of course, sir.’ Dobby smiled. ‘Dobby will always help Master Harry Potter whenever he needs it, sir.’

‘I have to stay here for a little while, something about learning new magic or whatever.’ Harry huffed as it didn’t seem as interesting as it had an hour ago.

‘I’ll need you to look after Toby, but take him to nana if you have to. And if you’re not sure what to do, go to Dumbledore because he knows about Toby and what’s going on with me.’

Harry didn’t want to give that order but knew he had to be prepared for anything. If Snape was under further pressure with being a spy again Voldemort then things mustn’t be going too favorably with the war, for either side.

‘Dobby will do it, sir.’ The house-elf nodded. ‘Master Harry Potter is not to worry about young Toby, sir, as Dobby will do his very best, sir.’

‘Thanks, Dobby.’

Harry relaxed against his pillows and watched the elf leave, only to whisper once again to his other house-elf. Giving them orders separately tended to be a wise move then to do so with them being tempted to strangle the other.

‘Master called Kreacher?’ The older elf bowed just as Dobby had, though with a little less energy and enthusiasm.

‘Could you get my study books from my trunk, please?’ Harry asked. ‘The one about the bloodlines and the advanced ingredient histories? Then go to nana and ask her if I could borrow a book on Occlumency mastering.’

‘Of course, Master.’ Kreacher left and minutes later reappeared with the books. ‘Is Master needing anything else from Kreacher?’ The hopeful gaze in his eyes was almost sad.

‘Er, yeah…could you make sure my personal potion stock doesn’t need adjusting?’ Harry asked the first thing that came to mind. ‘Then that’ll be all for now, thanks.’

Poppy stood concealed by the doorway of her office as she listened to the second house-elf vanish.

Severus was right, the boy was making good use of the creatures, and yet she still found certain bits confusing. Who was Toby? Why would the first house-elf need to look after him? Did the boy call someone “nana”? But surely he had no known or living family left besides his muggle relatives who certainly not be familiar with house-elves and books on Occlumency or anything so magical.

Deciding to let the boy be, Poppy moved around her desk and sat back down, facing the parchments on her desk for a brief moment before she returned to her paperwork.

--

It was several hours later when Poppy made sure Harry had eaten dinner and then began to sleep, having received a visit from his friends forty minutes prior.

Hermione had been excited about his new skills and Ron confused but otherwise neutral.

It was almost midnight when Poppy was prepared to head to sleep herself. Dressed in her nightgown, she walked quietly into the ward to check over her patient one last time for that night and was glad to notice that he wasn’t having any nightmares nor looked anything other than at peace with his slumber.

Looking down at the teenager who was only partially in sight because of the moonlit, otherwise dark ward, Poppy had to place a hand over her mouth to conceal her gasp.

The boy’s glasses had been removed from his face and with his dark hair and general appearance; Harry looked like a very different boy in a rather familiar situation.

One Poppy remembered quite clearly still…

--

Do I have to stay here long?’ Fourteen-year-old Severus scowled as he cross his arms over his chest from where he sat reluctantly in the bed.

Yes!’ Poppy frowned at him. ‘You will remain here at least overnight - longer if I have to tolerate any more of that attitude, young man.’

Leaving Severus to his muttering, Poppy crossed the ward to tend to the stomachache of another student nearly. She was only vaguely aware of the redheaded Gryffindor girl that rushed into the ward to see her grumbling friend.

What did you do this time, Mr Lockhart?’ She fussed, only half listening to the chatter behind her.

I’m glad you’re okay, Sev!’ Lily exhaled with relief. ‘What happened? You just passed out in the library!’

I’m fine now.’ Severus was still pouting about being stuck in the Hospital Wing since he hated it there and saw its walls far too often.

Something about learning or mastering new magic, I dunno…I can’t see what I could need with it. I don’t want to read anyone’s mind!’ He said.

Reading minds?’ Lily gasped. ‘Can you read mine now?’

There was silence only politely filled with Severus trying very hard not to laugh at his muggleborn friend.

No, Lils, it doesn’t work like that.’ Severus said as his voice softened a little, lacking his previous grumpiness. ‘Anyway, I have to stay here for a while.’

I’ll bring you your homework then.’ Lily decided. ‘And guess what? McGonagall saw me rushing you to the Hospital Wing and thought toerag Potter did something, so…’

--

Poppy’s memory trailed off as she moved away from the slumbering Harry.

Unlike many others, Poppy knew that Irma Pince was Eileen Prince, she knew that Lily and Severus had been inseparable until late in their fifth year, and she knew…oh yes, Poppy knew of several complications Lily had prior to Harry’s birth that was strictly confidential.

Yet she was not one to break promises and it was still a matter she was legally not permitted to really discuss, even if Lily was dead. That boy she was tending to may be the son of Severus Snape, or he might very well simply be similar.

Though to Poppy it hardly mattered; Severus wasn’t needed earlier and yet he had come to check on the boy - in his tired and sore state after curses and nightmares - to make sure Lily’s son was okay. He could have explained matters and left…but Severus didn’t; there had been no professional reason to stay.

And he had.

--

When Harry awoke the following morning it wasn't because he was well rested and ready to face the day, but rather because he received the most unexpected visitor that insisted on soundly entering the ward.

That was his his luck - Madam Pomfrey had just ducked out to speak with Dumbledore as well.

'What do you want?' Harry groaned at being woken in the early hours of the day when he'd been having a rather calm dream for once, about Quidditch too.

'Go away.' Harry added and pulled his sheets over his head.

'Not a morning person eh, Potter?' Draco sneered though he looked rather annoyed as he stood near the end of Harry's bed.

'I'm not a Malfoy person.' Harry retorted from his weak refuge underneath his blankets.

He was too tired to care how childish it may seem and silently pleaded for Madam Pomfrey to return and kick the Slytherin out.

'I suppose you think this is funny, do you?' Draco sounded so bitter that Harry's hand emerged from under the sheets to snatch his glasses.

A few seconds later the Gryffindor reluctantly peered over at the other boy, wondering why Draco was hassling him in the Hospital Wing now rather than the Great Hall later. There was more privacy here, probably, either that or the Slytherin enjoyed waking people at ridiculous hours of the day.

'I don't know what you're talking about.' Harry said as he sat upright and frowned at his so-called rival. 'So would you hurry up and get to the point so I can go back to sleep?'

Even in saying that he knew it wouldn't happen; Harry was awake now, and Draco had never left him alone when he'd asked.

'We were supposed to meet that Saturday.' Draco reminded him. 'And you bail again, for the eighth time! I'm tired of your excuses...but we have a deal, we took a vow!'

'I know!' Harry hissed and looked around the deserted ward as though he expected someone like Snape, Dumbledore, or a tattler to be half-concealed under a bed, listening.

He tried not to laugh at the thought of either of those wizards crouching under a piece of furniture, though it was slightly nerving as well.

'I've been-'

'Busy?' Draco rolled his eyes. 'You keep saying that, as though I don't have better things to do either!'

It was a serious matter, the terms of their Unbreakable Vow, and yet Harry was too overwhelmed and tired to care for anything else at that moment.

Retreating under his blankets once again, Harry groaned and knew he had to go through with what he had promised to Draco. He hadn't meant to keep changing their plans, but things with Toby often got in the way or he became eager to try a new potion.

Draco was right though, it was becoming more about excuses than actual reasons.

'Fine.' Harry muttered. 'If I get out of here today, we'll talk tonight in the same room as before.'

'You bloody better get out of here today or I'll...Er, good morning, sir.'

Wondering who Draco was talking to and hoping it was Dumbledore, Harry quickly pulled the sheets from his hair, knocking his glasses askew, and stared at Snape with sudden rush of embarrassment.

'I was unaware that a Gryffindor and Slytherin such as yourselves could be on such personal visiting terms.' Severus glanced at each nervous teenager with suspicion.

'And it is not wise to make threats upon one of Madam Pomfrey patients, Mr Malfoy.' He looked at his godson and wondered where Poppy was. 'As you ought to know.'

'Right, I was just going anyway.' Draco said quickly and marched out of the Hospital Wing.

'I didn't do anything!' Harry said quickly as Snape glared down at him.

'Not. This. Time. Perhaps. However, I merely wished to convey a message from...' Severus narrowed his eyes and glanced elsewhere. 'Lupin.' He spat out with increased loathing.

'Oh.' Harry wasn't sure how to react to that. 'You spoke to Remus? Wait, why didn't he just sent me an owl?'

'Indeed.' Severus rolled his eyes.

There had been a meeting earlier that morning and Severus had no choice but to attend. Lupin had conversed about their “task” afterwards and requested that Severus talk to the brat.

It must be near the full moon because Lupin was more delusional than usual.

Severus wasn't sure if he liked it any more or less, but the message itself did not involve Lupin or anything Severus thought he should be the one to pass along simply because he was on his way to the Hospital Wing.

If he hadn't been using his explained departure as an excuse to get away from Dumbledore, he'd have kept such information to himself.

'It appears as though...' Severus was distracted as he caught sight of a small pile of books sitting on the bedside table. Stepping closer, he scanned the titles and sighed as a tired expression coloured his face once again.

'Lupin and Tonk shall be paying you a visit in the Great Hall.' Severus reported. 'And do not pester me with senseless questions, as I do not know why nor do I care!' He scowled as the boy opened his mouth to talk.

'Um, thanks?' Harry said.

Madam Pomfrey returned and walked right by them as though she hadn't even noticed the pair. Returning to check on Harry, she greeted Snape as though he had been there all morning.

'Is there anything I can assist you with, Severus?' Poppy asked as she waved her wand to check Harry's energy and magical levels.

'You're fine, Mr Potter, you may leave once breakfast begins in an hour.' She added in the direction of the teen.

'I have what I required.' Severus nodded and turned to leave.

'What did he get?' Poppy asked Harry, confused as to what the Potions Master would need from the Hospital Wing.

'Nothing, I don't think.' Harry said, though he had been hidden under the sheets when the man had arrived.

He was thinking the same thing as Poppy; what could Severus Snape possibly have come to the Hospital Wing for, if not just to deliver a message?

'Maybe he's lost it.' Harry snorted. 'He looks tired, I've never seen him so...so human.'

He winced as he remembered that Madam Pomfrey was right there and might not apreciate him saying such things about her co-worker.

'Yes, well...it's been a tiring few days.' She repeated what Dumbledore had said before. 'I suspect he has a lot on his mind.'

'Did you know him when he was here?' Harry asked.

He was inspired by the way he'd noticed that Madam Pomfrey and Snape seemed know each other rather well, as they must work together a lot, even if Slughorn was the official Potions Master now. Snape had been for the last fifteen years.

'You mean as a student?' Poppy caught on what the teenager was saying.

Deciding she wasn't going against any promises or giving Severus a reason to spike her tea with too much honey again, she nodded.

'Yes. I also knew your parents, of course.' She smiled at the teenager. 'Sirius and James were in here only a few times less than yourself!' Poppy sighed.

'Odd bruises, suspicious bites...goodness, I had to claim overtime pay with those lot.'

Despite her stern tone, Harry knew she found it amusing now and wondered what exactly the Marauders had gotten up to that had them becoming regular patients such as he was.

'What was he like?' Harry asked. 'Snape, I mean.'

Poppy looked over at Harry with a quizzical expression; she'd have thought he'd ask about his father, godfather, Remus, or even his mother first...but yet his interest rested solely on Snape at this moment.

And there was very little she could say that Severus would approve of her speaking of; none of his moments in the Hospital Wing was enjoyable, nor lacking in embarrassment most of the time.

'He was...' Poppy thought for a moment and contemplated telling Harry nothing instead, but then that would seem rather strange.

'He was a lot like you.'

Watching the Mediwitch walk back to her office, Harry pondered on what she had said and realized that no one said to him “you look just like you father, but with your mother's eyes” anymore. It was how he resembled Snape...but it hadn't always been like that.

Harry struggled to explain it away with the fact that his hair was longer or his face paler. Something wasn't right with this and curiosity burned inside him, and yet...from short phrases he had caught while faking sleep the night before had informed him, there was no time for confusing issues like that.

Despite losing almost all of his Horcruxes, Voldemort was gaining power rapidly and more deaths were being reported in the newspapers, daily.

It was all leading up to something...perhaps THE big something; a full fledged war.

Harry hoped it wouldn't come to that as the mere imagination terrified him. It made small things like looking like Snape seem so meaningless and nothing more then a distraction from his real mission.

Well, once Harry got out of the Hospital Wing he was going to meet up with Draco and start coming up with strategies, even if Dumbledore was so determined to not include him any more and also considering that Harry had no real expectation to win against such a dangerous wizard like Lord Voldemort.

The confrontation was getting nearer and Harry could no longer see the worth in practicing potions and exploring his heritage. There was real work to be done; he had avoided it long enough and now...it was time to rejoin the fight.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Next: Harry tries out his new skills, Tonks has a few points to prove, plus Draco and Harry finally have their agreed meeting...but it's not as they'd expected.

Harry and Snape are SO close to the truth, but I need to divert their focus from it a little so we can concentrate on the war that is getting real close. I can't say much more then that, but I promise it'll be worth the wait.
Please review!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2473