The Son Becomes the Father by watercrystals
Summary: Following the death of Sirius, Harry isn't sure what to make of the sudden appearance of a six-year-old boy. The pair form a bond, unaware they're half-brothers, and Harry decides to take the boy to Hogwarts and hide him there. To aide the boy's education, Harry anonymously exchanges letters with Snape.

A story of a how a young boy becomes a father-figure to another while their own father is oblivious of their biological existence. But can sixteen-year-old Harry give what he himself has not gained? Can he go an entire year without being discovered? Just how far will Severus go to find the writer of those letters...Or are some things best left unknown?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Eileen Prince, Ginny, Hagrid, Hermione, Luna, Narcissa, Neville, Original Character, Other, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Tonks, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Child fic, Kidnapped, Runaway, Sibling Addition, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer, 6th Year, 7th summer, 8 - Pre Epilogue (adult Harry)
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Character Death, Neglect, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 33 Completed: No Word count: 164477 Read: 236922 Published: 04 Mar 2011 Updated: 06 Oct 2013
Draco's Redemption by watercrystals
Author's Notes:
SPOILER WARNING: If you have not read the Deathly Hallows book nor seen both of the final films, I STRONGLY advise you not to proceed.

This is a very foreshadowing and important chapter in this story, as it sets this fic on a change of course, bringing the story forward a step.

As Harry tried to open his sleepy eyes, he wasn't aware of much more than being flat on his back and half-blinded by an odd-looking, bright glowing sun.

He squinted against the light, but didn't have the energy to move. Harry wondered why the sun was a bit oval and appeared to be attached to a long, white pole of wax. Groaning in complaint as he opened his eyes properly and reached around for his glasses, which seemed to materialise in front of him, Harry soon realised that it hadn't been a sun at all. It was a floating candle and suddenly the urgency flooded back into Harry's now-alert senses.

Shoving the candle away and ignoring the hot wax that dripped on his left thumb, Harry sat upright then stood.

It was still dark through the windows though the enchanted ceiling of the Great Hall showed that it was close to sunrise. People were scattered around him, literally, as they watched and seemed to be waiting for something.

'Harry?' A voice asked, which sounded a bit like Dean, yet the emerald-eyed Gryffindor ignored him as he had caught the sight of a fallen form nearby.

Dumbledore stood over the form and slowly, as Harry approached, vanished it to fading dust.

'Was that...?' Harry whispered as he stared at the spot on the floor where the body had once been.

'Yes.' Dumbledore said in an equally low tone yet did not turn to face Harry. 'Lord Voldemort is dead.'

Memories swarmed Harry's unexpecting mind, which caused him to sway, yet was caught by a wizard taller and stronger than himself. He watched Dumbledore just stand there for a moment, though his vision blurred as he forgot to blink.

The incidences of the past 24 hours felt like a far-away nightmare, yet he knew they were true. The recent events came first, such as being shoved to the side while trying to defend himself against Voldemort. Dumbledore had come to the rescue at last. He'd felt dizzy when Voldemort fell and soon Harry had been knocked out from all varieties of exhaustion.

It felt like weeks, yet as he glimpsed a nearby watch, Harry could not believe he had only been unconscious for a mere seven minutes.

What happened before that?

Oh yes, he'd gone to the forest like Voldemort had instructed, after viewing Snape's memories, and Harry had prepared to die. Destroying the Horcrux inside himself was a preferable alternative yet he pretended to be dead because he had still been surrounded by Death Eaters and Voldemort was also nearby.

When Narcissa Malfoy crept beside him and whispered into his ear with the questioning about if Draco was alive, Harry nodded honestly as he recalled seeing the blonde cover himself with Harry's invisibility cloak moments before Harry had gone to the forest.

Obviously, he had not died, yet with the Death Eater's and Voldemort thinking he had, they proceeded to the castle to gloat.

The rest was a bit of a confusion to Harry, but it wasn't like he had to explain much to himself, only sort through what he had seen and experienced.

'Alright there-'

'-Harry?'

He glanced over at the twins, Fred and George, and nodded with a nervous smile on his face because he knew he was okay, considering what had taken place, yet he was missing something important...something urgent. Frowning, Harry lowered his gaze and allowed his mind to drift further back into the night.

What was he doing before he saw Snape's memories...DUH.

'Snape!' Harry gasped.

'What?' Neville asked from nearby where he placed the Gryffindor sword against a large piece of rubble and moved to dust off the Sorting Hat.

'Toby!' Harry's eyes went wide as he stared at a random student nearby.

'Er no, that's Colin Creevy trying to find his camera.' Someone said, though he wasn't sure who. Harry dismissed the worried glances some gave each other, all whom did not currently know about the existence of the little boy.

Harry jumped to his feet and turned with a whirl-wind of motion, preparing to head to the library but a grip on his arm stopped him. Growling, he turned to remove the hand but paused when he saw Irma standing there with a regretful expression.

'He went to the boathouse with the antidote.' She exhaled.

Harry, feeling a flush of other memories resurfacing, only nodded. 'Did he drink the other potion?' He asked anxiously, his whole body shaking with dread and anxiety.

'Yes.' Irma frowned. 'Did you expect him to run off?'

'I hoped.' Harry confessed.

He spotted Dumbledore watching him and moved away from those staring at him.

'I have to go-see if they're...I'll be back as soon as I can!' Harry turned to hurry from the hall, hoping that no one would follow him, yet paused when his path was blocked by an unlikely person.

'You confirmed that he was alive.' The witch frowned with sadness, fury and dread all mingled into a very displeased expression. Her husband stood nearby, nursing a bloody nose and sore shoulder.

'Mrs Malfoy.' Harry swallowed and knew he had to go, he had to check on Snape and Toby...he had to pray they were alive. 'Come with me.' He decided in a split second. 'I have to check on someone, then I promise I'll help you find Draco.'

Narcissa considered his words for a moment and glanced towards Lucius.

'Go on.' Lucius waved his hand to his wife, clearly aching too much to follow, though even Harry spotted the concern on the man's face.

Narcissa turned back to Harry and confirmed her agreement before the pair left the Great Hall, hurrying towards the many steps that led down to the boathouse.

'Who is it you are searching for, Mr Potter?' Narcissa asked. 'Why would they be here?'

'Snape and...someone else.' Harry hesitated, still feeling bound in his protectiveness over the secrecy involved with Toby's existence.

Unsure what to think or reply with, Narcissa remained quiet for a few more seconds until she spoke again, sounding more vulnerable than Harry could ever recall, though he hadn't really associated with her very much before now.

'How certain are you that my son is alive?' Narcissa asked. 'You called him by his first name, why is that?'

'He nicked my invisibility cloak just before the battle.' Harry said as a way to distract his troubled thoughts about what he might find at the bottom of the steps. 'We made an Unbreakable Vow ages ago, that he would help me survive the war by giving information. In return for something else, of course.'

'What did he want in return?' Narcissa sounded shocked and in disbelief, but never received a reply as they had reached the door to the boathouse.

Harry froze, as though his feet had been iced to the ground, yet a nudge from Narcissa encouraged him forward. Stepping inside with a sensation of being smothered, Harry's gaze roamed around the moonlit place until he spotted the pair he sought.

Snape was on his back with his wand gripped in his left hand, which was resting on his chest. His other hand had loosely gripped a section of Toby's shirt that the man could reach, which wasn't entirely hard considering that the boy was slumped against his right shoulder.

On the ground near Toby's feet was the empty antidote vial.

'Who is that child?' Narcissa's tone caused Harry to turn and stare at her, not only because he had forgotten that she was there but rather in relation to the recognition in her voice, almost as if she was as shocked as Irma had been to see Toby alive and before her eyes right now.

Harry didn't answer.

He approached Toby and picked the boy up, cradling him as he hoped his brother was only too exhausted to notice the motion. Looking down at Snape, he watched as Narcissa observed his urging nod and moved to check for a pulse.

'He is breathing.' She replied and Harry could release a gasp he had been holding constricted in his throat. 'What happened?'

'Nagini.' Harry frowned and was glad that Neville had killed the snake just in time.

He opened his mouth to ask for Narcissa's help to move Snape to the castle (though it was such a weird thing to remember who he was talking to), yet he halted as the moonlight shone through a window and lit a space nearby. He saw a black shoe and the hem of dark pants, however the rest was concealed. Realisation settled in him and Harry indicated his discovery to Narcissa.

'Draco.' Was all Harry had to say before the witch waved her wand and the cloak flew off her son.

Exhaling at the same time without noticing, both Harry and Narcissa were relieved to see that Draco looked to have merely fallen asleep with his wand in hand, slumped up against a wall.

'Go...away...' Draco groaned when his mother nudged him.

Then, with shocking recollection, he jerked upright and nearly collided with his mother as he jumped to his feet and aimed his wand around. Calming, Draco looked immeasurably relieved as he allowed his mother to hug him.

'Are they okay?'

Draco's simple question about the well-being of Toby and Snape caused Narcissa to step back from him with alarm. Harry had also figured out what she had, but was unable to formulate any words to tell him.

'You...you came here to...protect them?' Narcissa was stunned. 'Why?'

'It was all I could do.' Draco muttered and blushed as he looked at the ground.

'Can you please help me get them to the Hospital Wing?' Harry asked and wondered when Toby had gotten as heavy as he was now.

He nodded a “thanks” when Narcissa levitated Snape's body and Draco went to retrieve the invisibility cloak.

-- 

'Is it over?' Draco asked on the slow walk back to the castle.

'Yes.' Harry said and was relieved when Narcissa placed a feather-light charm on Toby, otherwise he doubted he could get the boy up all those steps.

'He's dead, Draco.'

'Did you...?'

'Dumbledore.' Harry sighed. 'But yes, it's over.'

'Where's father?' Draco noticed the absence of his other family member and panic spread through his face.

'Nursing a bloody nose.' Narcissa said in a bitter tone as she carefully watched Snape's form floating ahead of them.

'Oh.' Draco considered his mother's expression for a moment and seemed surprised. 'Who punched him?'

'Your cousin.' Narcissa said with a sour hint in her voice and gladly increased her pace to finish the rest of the ascent of the steps and headed towards the Hospital Wing.

Draco hurried after her, wondering why Tonks would punch his father, while Harry didn't mind trailing behind a little. He carefully stepped over some rubble and continued towards his destination, glancing down at Toby once and again with relief. Seeing his friends alive and coping was a wonderful sight, but when he saw that Snape and Toby were also okay, it wasn't the same...it was stronger somehow, yet unfamiliar and strange.

Harry couldn't imagine that he could care for Snape more than Ron or Hermione, yet the sensation remained. 

Reaching the Hospital Wing, and surprised to see it decently intact, Harry placed Toby on the bed nearby Snape's, where the man was being fussed over by a tired-looking Madam Pomfrey.

With a yawn, and looking through a window to see the sun emerging from the tips of the mountains in the distance, Harry lay on the bed between Snape and Toby, his eyes closing again and before long...blackness overcame him once more.

 


 

It was no surprise that Harry didn't wake until almost midday, though he had not expected that nothing would have changed.

Snape was still unconscious to his left and Toby snoring on his right. Opposite him more beds were filled with healing or sleeping students, including Draco. Narcissa was sitting in a chair beside his bed and Lucius stood behind her, leaning against the wall, obviously having been denied a bed for himself. Madam Pomfrey appeared to have fixed his nose and shoulder, yet the Malfoys had never looked so...injured.

'Here, have my bed.' Harry offered to a third-year girl in Hufflepuff attire, who looked as exhausted as he had felt before he'd passed out. Clutching a bandaged wrist, she smiled gratefully at him and then collapsed against his former bed...she was asleep in seconds.

'Are they okay?' Harry asked as Madam Pomfrey joined him.

'Severus and the boy?' She asked and he nodded. 'Yes. Severus will need a lot of rest, however. Mr Malfoy filled me in on the details. I suspect he'll be out for a few more days at least. The boy...who is he?'

'It doesn’t matter.' Harry said defensively. 'He's just tired though, right?'

'The child will be fine. He was pushed to his very limits. I suspect he has a few more hours of resting to do before he can function again.' Pomfrey sighed.

Harry wanted to check on his friends and the others but could not bring himself to leave Toby. Madam Pomfrey sensed this and assured him that she would not let anyone near the boy.

With relief, he thanked her and hurried from the Hospital Wing to seek out anyone he knew.

--

There were a lot of students still filling the damaged Great Hall.

Harry saw teachers talking in a group nearby, the Weasleys bunched together and hugging tearful yet with relief, Ron and Hermione were near them, and many of his friends or classmates were scattered around the room helping in any way they could.

'Harry!' Hermione rushed to him and nearly knocked him over with a hug.

Ron stood by her side and the other Weasleys approached with thankful faces.

'I'm so glad you're all okay.' Harry felt tears in his own eyes but dismissed them quickly as he blushed a little from the hugs he then received from Ginny and Mrs Weasley.

'Where are Tonks and Remus?' Harry had no spotted them and panic settled in his chest, though no one around him seemed saddened by his question.

'They went home.' Arthur Weasley said. 'To their son.'

'Oh, right.' Harry nodded and felt bad that he'd forgotten about Teddy, who wasn't even two weeks old.

'I expect Remus will be back.' Arthur continued. 'He says he wants to thank Toby. Who is that? You said his name before you left with Mrs Malfoy.' He said, sounding confused and a little concerned.

'He's...forget it.' Harry dismissed. 'Why does Remus want to thank him?'

'He said this “Toby” fellow saved his life.' Percy said from beside his mother. 'He wasn't sure it was him at first, but he saw you carrying the boy back from the boathouse. Is he alright?'

'Just sleeping.' Harry nodded.

'And Snape?' Hermione asked, since she had been with Remus at that moment, intending to chase after Harry, and saw him coming up the stairs with the Malfoys and a hovering Snape.

'Also fine.' He told her and rubbed his forehead, feeling a little dizzy still from the emotions and tiredness. 'Where's Dumbledore?'

'In his office.' Molly Weasley said. 'He's waiting for you.'

Harry narrowed his eyes and turned on his heels as he marched off towards the stone gargoyle's that guarded the entrance to the Headmaster's office. Saying half a dozen possible passwords before he was allowed entrance, Harry stepped onto the revolving stairs and watched the door get nearer.

Remembering his promise to knock, he did so and waited for a reply.

It did not come right away and Harry almost missed the soft voice when Dumbledore finally permitted Harry to join him.

Stepping slowly into the office, Harry looked over at Dumbledore who was slumped in his chair. For a moment he felt worried, but when the Headmaster rose his gaze and offered Harry a smile, the teenager realised that the older wizard was merely exhausted.

'You should get some rest, sir.' Harry commented as he stepped inside the room and proceeded to sit across from the man.

Chuckling, Dumbledore nodded in agreement. 'Yes, I imagine so. Yet for now rest must wait. How are you feeling, Harry?'

'Okay, I guess.' He shrugged. 'We won, sir...or at least, we defeated Voldemort and the Death Eaters were taken away.' Harry saw the knowing look in Dumbledore's eyes and knew that the Headmaster shared his views about the concept of “winning”. A victory, to Harry, consisted of all survivors. They lost many people, good witches and wizards as well as children, in this terrible war.

'I have something to show you.' Dumbledore rose from his seat and moved towards the nearby stairs, passing by an infant Fawkes who appeared to be sleeping.

Harry nodded and wondered what it might be, yet since Dumbledore appeared to be taking his time, the teenager allowed his mind to drift randomly through memories of the war and other incidences.

He didn't care much for what he saw and was vaguely reminded of an Occlumency lesson with the way his memories seemed to have no purpose, only appearing whenever his mind shifted from one to another...

--

The first few that came to mind were of that night, of moments from Snape's memories and of incidences in which he was amongst the war and preparing for the climax of it all.

'On the night Lord Voldemort tried to kill him, when Lily cast her own life between them as a shield, the Killing Curse rebounded upon Lord Voldemort, and a fragment of Voldemort's soul was blasted apart from the whole, and latched itself onto the only living soul left in that collapsing building.' Dumbledore was saying to Snape while Harry watched the memory take place.

'Part of Lord Voldemort lives inside Harry, and it is that which gives him the power of speech with snakes, and a connection with Lord Voldemort's mind that he has never understood. And while that fragment of soul, unmissed by Voldemort, remains attached to, and protected by Harry, Lord Voldemort cannot die.'

'So the boy... must die?'

Harry would never forget the look on Snape's face at that question, because he realised that he was not the only victim to Dumbledore's manipulations. Snape had been trying to protect him and now Dumbledore was saying that Harry had basically lived only to die when the time was right.

'And Voldemort himself must do it.'

--

The next involved Harry once he had just left the Great Hall before he would continue on his path to the forest, to where he assumed he would be sacrificing his life to make Voldemort mortal once more.

Along the way, he had paused and spotted Neville nearby, looking bruised and tired but no less determined than he had been hours earlier. He had really surprised everyone and Harry felt glad that his room mate and friend had gathered the courage to become who he was and the hero so many had not expected.

'You know Voldemort's snake, Neville?' Harry had asked. 'He's got a huge snake... calls it Nagini.'

I've heard, yeah... what about it?'

'It's got to be killed.' Harry nodded. 'Ron and Hermione know that, but just in case they-'

It was strange, how with everything he thought of Dumbledore that in such a moment he would then understand the man. He couldn't say much more to Neville and a moment later he was slowly making his way to the forest, thinking on his new understandings.

He realised that he must be like Dumbledore as well...he had to remain calm and have a clear thought process, plus make sure that there were those to carry on if something happened to him, as Harry knew it was about to.

Dumbledore had indicated as much, though he was still around somewhere, that he had others to take over if he was unable to. Dumbledore had sent Ron and Hermione to the Chamber of Secrets, he had given Snape knowledge to pass on when it was needed, he had been the planner and leader far more than even Harry had realised and he felt a little bad for thinking earlier that Dumbledore wasn't being very useful.

Then he thought of Snape, lying bleeding and alone at the boathouse. He hoped the man was alive, he really did, yet Harry was more certain now that the antidote and last gulp of lucky potion had to be in Toby's reach. He had sent a Patronus along (and had been startled to remember how it was no longer a stag but a stunning lioness), to tell Irma and Toby what had happened. He knew now that even though he hadn't realised it at the time, this was a part of the need for back-ups as well.

Now Harry hoped that Toby would realise, with his intellect even at a young age, that the antidote could save Snape. If the boy took the last of the lucky potion and headed to the boathouse, Harry was confident that both would survive. He could do nothing for Snape now, and even though he hated to admit it but he could do nothing for Toby either.

He really hoped his brother would figure it out, because neither wanted Snape to die.

He reached the forest.

Draco still had his invisibility cloak and he was tempted to use a spell but he wasn't sure how to remove it. Sighing, he inhaled a deep breath and headed to his doom.

--

Still waiting on Dumbledore, Harry shifted in his seat and thought of another memory, the one where he had been sure he was dead, yet Sirius had appeared to him in that too-white place and explained a few brief things about how Harry could go back, or he could “board a train” and move on.

'I have to go back.' Harry had said.

'Of course.' Sirius nodded with a grin and sat beside Harry on a seat, looking around at the cleaner, more vacant version of King's Cross Station. 'It's been a long journey, hasn't it? Form losing your family to gaining new ones?' Sirius said while Harry looked around as well, wondering what his godfather was seeing.

'And now this...it all comes down to this, your crowning moment.'

'I never wanted to be the “Chosen One”, Sirius.' Harry sighed. 'But you're right, it does come down to this. How can I stop him? He may be mortal but he's still-'

'A spell-spitting lunatic?' Sirius chuckled. 'Yeah. I'm not worried though. You're a Gryffindor, Harry.' He looked over at him. 'Us lot have a habit of doing the most stupidest things and somehow surviving it.'

'Not always.' Harry lowered his gaze as his godfather hadn't survived it.

'I think I used my “escape death” cards too much.' Sirius attempted a muggle-inspired joke, which brought a smile to Harry's face again.

'You look different, you know.' Sirius' face changed to be less joking.

'Like Snape, you mean?' Harry frowned.

'Death is strange in ways.' Sirius said, looking to the distance again. 'Grudges and anger...all those silly things don't matter anymore. I'm not mad, Harry.'

'Wait, you said something...before you died, about my father?' Harry said quickly as he remembered it and realised the chance he had in front of him. 'What did you say?'

Sirius looked at him and paused for a moment, then smiled. 'I think...it bears little importance right now. It doesn't matter what you look like or who your father is. James loved you, kid...he gave up his life for you and your mother. Isn't that what a father does? Who do you want to be, Harry? That's what matters.' Sirius nodded and noticed the place getting a little brighter as he rose to his feet.

'I think it's time you went back, if you still want to.'

'I'm sorry.' Harry said as he rose as well. 'I miss you, Sirius...so much! You were free again and...now you're gone.'

'I'm still free.' Sirius placed his hands on either of Harry's shoulders. 'Don't worry about me. Dead or alive, I'll always stumble onto an adventure.' He smirked.

'What if I am Snape's son?' Harry worried.

'Buy a lot of shampoo.' Sirius joked. 'Be who you want to be, Harry. No one can fault you for that...not me, and not Snape, though I wouldn't put it past him to try.' He rolled his eyes. 'I have to go now...the adventure is calling.'

'Wait, is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?' Harry frowned.

'Well, I think the correct answer to that would be...Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry.' Sirius grinned in his most amused way, with the exact expression Harry always wanted to remember him by. 'But why the bloody hell should that mean that it's not real?'

Harry saw his godfather was laughing yet fading away into the light and fear struck the teenager again.

'Wait, come back...what do I do now?' Harry reached for him but the brightness was beginning to blind him. 'Sirius!'

--

Harry had not seen those memories right away, they had been surrounded by brief flashes of his childhood, his earlier years at Hogwarts, moments he'd spent with Toby, words Snape had told him and written to S.J.E, and then just as the last memory to shift through his mind involved the sight he'd left behind at the boathouse to re-enter the battle...Dumbledore emerged in front of him and startled his mind back to the present.

'What is this?' Harry glanced at the large sketchpad that sat in front of him on Dumbledore's desk.

'Do you remember me telling you that before he died, your father left the invisibility cloak in my possession, in which has now been passed on to you?' Dumbledore waited until Harry nodded before he continued.

'This was left by your mother.'

'Why are you giving it to me now?' Harry frowned and instantly reached for it, taking the object carefully from the desk and opened to the first, blank page.

He saw the name scribbled in a corner: Lily Evans.

'I confess that I had forgotten about it over time.' Dumbledore sighed. 'This was hers during her third year at Hogwarts and she held it to great value, carrying it around wherever she went. I was under the impression, when she asked me to store it, that she one day intended to pass it on to you.'

'Thank you.' Harry said as he flipped another page and saw various pictures he didn't recognise, but that were drawn with talent that he was surprised and in awe by.

He saw a large oak tree, a park, a girl who looked to be a younger Petunia, a house...

'Is this...Snape?'

'I have not perused it.' Dumbledore said politely yet glanced over at the picture of the long-haired boy who was laughing as he looked to the side, leaning against the trunk of a tree. 'I believe so. He looks extraordinarily like young Severus.'

Harry shut the sketchpad and smiled at Dumbledore, thanking him again for the gift from his mother, while also making a mental note to snatch his cloak back from Draco. As he looked at Dumbledore, questions swam through his mind, yet the tired look on the older man's face urged him to wait.

So Harry only asked one instead.

'What's going to happen to the Malfoys now?' Harry wondered. 'The Death Eater's were taken away...yet they're still here.'

'Narcissa Malfoy told me what happened in the forest.' Dumbledore said. 'I believed her and it was clear that the family has had a chance in allegiances, though at the most convenient of times.'

'Draco helped me. Snape wouldn't be alive if he hadn't.' Harry shared. 'We made an Unbreakable Vow., Draco and me...I could tell he didn't want to but, I dunno...I don't think he was ever really bad, just...'

'Made all the wrong choices?' Dumbledore smiled sadly. 'Yes, it would appear so.'

'I'll defend them from Azkaban if I have to.' Harry added. 'No one deserves that and they did change sides...that's got to count for something. Draco told me a lot of other things too, which also helped me survive. I suppose, I owe him my life in a way.'

Dumbledore smiled warmly at him and nodded. 'By attempting to kill you, Voldemort himself singled out the remarkable person who sits here in front of me, and gave him the tools for the job.' He explained while Harry listened, having been wondering about that as well yet didn't want to ask.

'It is Voldemort's fault that you were able to see into his thoughts, his ambitions, that you even understood the snakelike language in which he gives orders, and yet, Harry, despite your privileged insight into Voldemort's world - which, incidentally, is a gift any Death Eater would kill to have - you have never been seduced by the Dark Arts, never, even for a second, shown the slightest desire to become one of Voldemort's followers!'

'Of course I haven't! He killed my mum and dad!' Harry growled yet forced himself to remain seated and not to damage the sketchpad in his hands.

'You are protected, in short, by your ability to love. The only protection that can possibly work against the lure of power like Voldemort's. And it seems, in his own way...Draco may have noticed this was well. He had a clear view of what Voldemort was like, and yet he seemed confident enough to risk his life and his family's to aide your survival. I do not think someone like Draco Malfoy would have done so had he not thought you could actually win.'

'He didn't care if I won or not.' Harry remembered while he realised Dumbledore was right. 'He only helped me so I could survive.'

'Is that not the point?' Dumbledore smiled wisely. 'Voldemort set out to kill you himself...therefore, in surviving, what other outcome could be possible? Draco may not wish to admit it, but he hoped you would win, Harry. He was on your side from the moment he suggested the Unbreakable Vow.'

'How do you know he was the one who suggested it, sir?' Harry frowned.

'I did not think it was something you would place your faith in, Harry. You do not need binding magic to trust another, however Draco has not yet discovered the true magic of friendship and loyalty to those outside of bloodlines. The Unbreakable Vow, I believe, was a sign of his desperation.'

'I think so too, sir.' Harry exhaled as he lowered his gaze and remembered how agitated the Slytherin had been. 'And then he went to the boathouse to guard Snape and Toby. I think he's changed now, sir.'

'There are very few things within ourselves that truly change, Harry.' Dumbledore said. 'Most of it is buried deep within, though constantly evolving, evasive even from us until we find the wisdom or need to discover and accept it. We constantly shape who we are every day and only once we are comfortable with that form are we able to say “this is who I am”. I think, deep down...Draco never wanted Lord Voldemort to win.'

Harry looked at Dumbledore for a moment and smiled, because he thought so too. Draco had redeemed himself, and Harry would like to think that long ago...Snape had too.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please take a moment to send me a review, as I would really appreciate your thoughts, especially at this stage of the story. What did you think of this chapter?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2473