Stormcaller by Snapegirl
Summary: Everyone thought Harry's scar came from Voldemort. But they were wrong. The scar was the sign of a rare & terrible gift, the power to call monstrous storms. A power that could save or destroy Harry unless he learns to harness it. Can Snape & Lily help him master his terrible gift? Or will he self-destruct . . .and take the world with him?
Categories: Healer Snape, Master Snape > Apprentice Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Lily, Lucius, Original Character, Other
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 27 Completed: Yes Word count: 117217 Read: 113639 Published: 09 Mar 2011 Updated: 28 Jan 2013
At Malfoy Manor by Snapegirl

Malfoy Manor

Wiltshire

That same afternoon:

Draco spent an hour or so rearranging his new school things in his trunk. He was a rather particular child who liked everything just so, as the Malfoy house elves knew well. He used to give Dobby fits as a young child, rearranging his toys differently everyday and then expecting the elf to remember the order. If poor Dobby forgot, Draco used to scream and throw himself on the floor in a tantrum. That had been when he was around Aradia's age, and he had since been taught better by his parents, who would remove all the toys from his room for a day and totally ignore him until he quit behaving like a spoiled brat. They would also tell Dobby to ignore him, because as Lucius had said many times, "Having servants and expensive toys is a privilege, not a luxury, and if you cannot appreciate and respect them, you shall not have them at all."

Dobby popped up just as Draco was trying to fold a school sweater, minus the crest and stripe, and put it in the trunk. "Would Master Draco like Dobby to help?"

"Actually, I would. Here. I don't know why I can't make the sleeves lie flat." He handed the offending garment to the elf.

Dobby folded it in a twinkling and placed it in the trunk. "Does Master Draco need anything else?"

"No, I've packed everything. Go and do whatever you want. I'm going to take a nap." Draco waved the elf away, yawning.

"Very good, sir. Mistress Narcissa has also put little Missy Aradia down for a nap. Dobby will be going now!" Dobby disappeared with a pop.

Only to reappear a moment later. "Master Draco, Dobby regrets to inform you that your nap must wait. Master Lord Lucius requests your presence in his study." The elf bowed apologetically as Draco groaned.

But Draco knew better than to ignore a summons from his father. He slid off his bed and wondered what Lucius wanted.

Lucius' study was a floor down, on the ground floor. Draco was no stranger to this room, though as a little boy he had been forbidden to enter it without Lucius being present. The study was done in rich emerald and black, with ebony wood paneling, heavy velvet drapes the color of spring leaves, there were several shelves lined with books behind the massive black oak desk, and a locked potions cabinet as well. Several awards and plaques of distinction were hung on the wall, things which Lucius had won as a student and been awarded for his work in the Ministry.

Draco entered and made his way to the upholstered chair in front of the desk. "You wanted to see me, Father?"

Lucius looked up from some papers he had been perusing. "Ah, yes, I did. Draco, when you were talking with Harry in Madam Malkin's, did you happen to mention anything about his being a stormcaller?"

"Yes, I did ask if he was one. He said he was and then I asked him what it was like, being able to call storms, and he said it was both exciting and dangerous. Why?"

"Was that all you discussed? You didn't mention anything else about stormcallers going mad or dying suddenly?"

"No, Father. I figured he already knew about that."

"Good. Actually, son, Harry knows nothing about the madness his talent brings. And Severus and Lily wish it to stay that way for the time being. So they have asked me to ask you not to bring up the subject. They believe that Harry can be taught to control his power and escape the madness that other stormcallers have been heir to, but only if he's kept ignorant of his fate. Besides which, it's old-fashioned good manners not to discuss someone's disability. Understand?"

"Yes, Father. It's true then? All the others have gone mad?"

Lucius nodded heavily. "As far as we know, any stormcaller that's been documented has eventually self-destructed, overcome by a power too great for a mortal body and mind to handle."

Draco paled. "That's terrible! There's nothing that can be done?"

"Severus and Lily are doing the best they can, but it remains to be seen if they can succeed. If rumors are true, Harry displayed the talent as a baby and he is now eleven. Already he has lasted longer than most of the others. We must pray that it continues."

"But it's safe for us to be friends, right?"

"Yes. Harry is like any wizard, unless a storm appears over the horizon. Then you'd best take cover," said his father gravely.

"I will. And to think, I sort of . . . envied him having a power like that. But now I feel kind of sorry for him."

"Yes. With great power comes a great price. Never forget that, Draco." Lucius said solemnly. He tapped his leg meaningfully. Then he changed the subject. "Have you finished putting away all of your new school supplies and your wand?"

"Yes. I was going to take a nap," his son replied, a longing note creeping into his voice.

Lucius chuckled. "Wore you out, eh? Go, have a lie down. Dobby will wake you when it's time for supper."

Draco smiled and headed for the door.

"Oh, one more thing," Lucius called.

His son halted.

"I don't think you need reminding, however I am going to tell you anyway to be on your best behavior when our guests arrive."

"Yes, sir," was all Draco replied, knowing full well the importance his father placed upon well-behaved offspring and not disgracing the family. Then he added flippantly. "I hope you told Aradia."

"She is small enough to be excused any lapse of control. Go on with you, Master Quick Tongue, and mind what I said."

Draco left, smirking. Lucius might allow him to get away with the occasional insolent remark, but he knew better than to push the aristocratic wizard's tolerance when it came to proper behavior in front of a guest. Guests were sacrosanct in the Malfoy home, meaning they were accorded all respect and hospitality, and it was the task of the host to see to the guest's comfort.

It was a lesson Draco had learned long ago, when he was six and had broken that unwritten law by throwing chess pieces at Gregory Goyle, the son of one of Lucius' business associates, in a temper because the other boy had beaten him. One of the pieces had hit Greg in the head, leaving a bruise. Draco had been made to apologize and nothing more was said of the matter until Goyle and his son had departed. Afterwards, Lucius had given his son both a stern lecture on proper behavior towards a guest and a sound spanking. Draco had never forgotten it.

Page~*~*~*~*~Break

Heatherton Cottage

Same day:

While Lily was grateful to be invited to dine with the Malfoys on Saturday, it left her with a dilemma. What to wear? She didn't want to appear too fancy or too casual, and as soon as they arrived home, she went to her room to ransack her closet. Harry went to hang up his robes and read some of his new book The Standard book of Spells: Level One. Severus went to put away his potions ingredients and answer some mail from former patients. And Theo went to tell Lucy about the Malfoys' invitation.

He found his mother deftly chopping carrots and leeks for a savory pork ragout, and leaned on the end of the counter while she diced and tossed the vegetables into the stew pot. "Want me to chop up some things?" he offered, he had been helping Lucy cook since he was able to handle a knife without cutting himself at age six.

"No, dearie. I'm almost finished here. But thanks for offering. Got the bread cooling over on the rack." She waved a hand towards the loaf of freshly baked multi-grain bread sitting upon the wire rack at the opposite end of the counter.

"Smells great, Ma," Theo sniffed appreciatively.

"So what did tha' do today in Diagon Alley?" Lucy asked, sensing her son was bursting with news.

Theo quickly regaled her with tales of the shops they had visited and how they had eaten at Fortescue's and he helped Lily pick out a Quidditch jersey for Harry. Then he told her about the meeting with the Malfoys in Madam Malkin's. "Mum, they invited us to their house on Saturday—Severus, Lily, Harry, and me. For dinner."

Lucy's brows went up. "Well, fancy that! I never would have thought Lucius Malfoy to lower himself to keep company with half-bloods and Muggleborns. He's a far cry from his dad, Abraxus. That one wouldn't ha' given a half-blood water if they were dying o' thirst and he'd ha' stepped o'er a Muggleborn bleeding in the road without a moment's notice, he was that cold-hearted and full o'hisself! Seems like Lucius has better manners than his old man, aye?"

Theo nodded. "He's got a son my age, Draco, and a little daughter, Aradia, who's Severus' godchild. She about two or thereabouts. His wife seems nice also, not one with her nose in the air."

"She'd be Narcissa Black, or was before she married Lucius. Another family who has ancient blood and even more ancient pretensions, my boy. I knew her sisters, Andromeda and Bellatrix." Lucy snorted. "They was allus puttin' on airs, like they were royalty. Humph! 'Tis good to see that Cissy wised up. Like I always say, the higher thee climbs, the further tha falls if tha don't watch thy step, eh?"

Theo shook his head in agreement. "But Mum, what about you? What'll you do with us gone for dinner?"

Lucy laughed. "Why, I'll have myself a regular holiday, Theodore Nott! Put my feet up by the fire an' laze about readin' a good book, so I will."

But Theo frowned, his lower lip jutting out stubbornly. "It ain't right, Ma. You bein' here all alone while we go dine with rich folk. Why don't you come with us? You're as good as any of them."

Lucy's eyebrows shot up. "I couldna' do that, Theo. I wasna' invited."

Her son's frown turned stormy. "I don't see why not. Why shouldn't you come? You never go anywhere, you stay behind all the time. Just because you're Severus' housekeeper now doesn't mean you have to be chained to the cottage like a slave!"

Lucy stared at him, astonished. "Theodore Nott, bite thy tongue, lad! I've never in my life been a slave to anyone, much less Healer Snape. Why, he treats us like his own kin. And shame to thee for suggesting otherwise," she waggled a reproving finger at him.

Theo hung his head. "Aye, I know. I didn't mean Healer Snape, Ma, but sometimes it seems like you stay here 'cause you're ashamed or something 'cause your people threw you out an' me along with you . . ."

"Lad, I've never been ashamed of the choices I made," Lucy said, reaching out to ruffle her son's hair. "Or of thee . . . until now, that is. Thou art my son, an' as good as any pureblood wi' a load of Galleons ever born. Tha ought to understand, Theo, that if I stay here at Heatherton, it's naught to do with shame or guilt, it's 'cause I wish to. Thee forgets, lad, once I belonged to that life—the life of privilege an' servants, of wealth and power. An' I had my fill and then some of it. 'Twas not for me, and it's why I ran off with thy dad. I've never regretted it. Nary once. I've no wish to go and hobnob with the rich and famous, my lad. Those days are done an' I'd not be reminded of them. I'm content to be ordinary Lucy Nott, housekeeper, rather than Lady Lucinda, do tha see?"

"Then . . . you don't mind?"

"Not a bit, Theo. I've been to hundreds of fancy dinner parties, an' they're all alike after awhile. Fancy dishes, fancy sauces, an' polite conversation over nothing. No, lad, go on wi' thee. Enjoy thyself an' don't worry thy head over me. I'll be happy with a good broth of neeps and taties an' some fresh bread an' a glass of ale. Or shepherd's pie. No need for me t'struggle wi' some fancy outfit neither. I can be comfortable in my old skirt and robe." She smiled at her son. "I don't miss it, Theo. Fancy trimmings and clothes don't make a decent witch or wizard. It's what's here that counts." She thumped a hand over her heart. "Mind thee remembers that."

"I will, Mum." Then he stood and limped around the trestle to hug her.

Page~*~*~*~*~Break

Meanwhile, Lily was pulling out all of her skirts, blouses, and robes and examining them critically. She began to mix and match styles and colors, rejecting over half of them. Finally she had four combinations left to choose from and couldn't make up her mind. She put on a pretty tunic length shirt in a royal blue color with a mandarin collar and silver buttons shaped like lilies. The sleeves belled at the wrists and she had a long black skirt made of crinkly cotton with silver Celtic knot work about the hem. Small black suede half-boots completed the look. Lily wound a silver silk scarf about her head to keep her wild locks tamed.

She stepped out of her room to ask Lucy's opinion of the outfit, and met Severus on his way to his room. "Sev, what do you think?" she asked, turning about so her skirt flared.

Severus put his chin in his hand and considered . . . for about thirty seconds, before replying, "You look magnificent, Lily."

She gazed at him doubtfully. "Are you sure you're not just saying that, Severus? You said the same thing when I was wearing ordinary jeans and a T-shirt yesterday."

His eyes roamed up and down her lithe frame leisurely. "Can I help it if you look good in everything?"

She snorted. "You're not helping, Sev! I need an honest opinion here."

"I am being honest."

"No, you're being tactful. You'd probably say I looked magnificent in sackcloth and ashes."

"Or nothing at all," he murmured under his breath.

"What did you say?" she gasped, blushing.

He blushed too, but then rallied with, "Nothing but the truth. Lily, you're an attractive woman, I have always thought so. What you wear only accents your natural beauty. However, if you'd like a woman's opinion, by all means ask Lucy. She used to be up on all the latest fashions." He spread his hands. "I can't tell you about current fashions, all I can tell you is what I think about your choice of outfit. Which suits you brilliantly. It's sophisticated, simple, and elegant. You'll put Narcissa Malfoy in the shade, if that's what you're worried about."

"Severus!" she smacked him lightly on the arm. "Narcissa is the epitome of the elegant court lady while I'm just . . . an ordinary girl from Manchester."

"Lily, one thing you're not is ordinary. Not to me." He said huskily. He longed to take her in his arms and kiss her breathless. But he held onto his control by the slimmest of margins. It was too soon. But everything in him cried out to hold her, caress her, to ignite within her the same fire that licked through him every time he allowed himself to look at her as more than his best friend.

She stepped close to him. "You flatter me, Severus Snape." Her breath misted over him.

He shuddered inwardly. "No. I speak the truth, Lily. Always."

She lifted her head and looked him right in the eyes. He stared right back, loving the way her expressive emerald eyes had a slight tilt to them, making her look like a curious cat. An undercurrent of heat flashed through him as their gazes met.

"You truly mean that," she whispered, feeling all at once the same fiery desire. She wanted to put her arms about him, to pull his mouth down on hers and kiss him the way she had never kissed any man in her life. But she hesitated. Did he feel the same about her? Or did he still regard her as a friend?

He saw the uncertainty in her eyes and nearly stepped back. Perhaps this wasn't the right time. Then all at once he took her in his arms, tentatively at first. When she moved into his embrace, wrapping her arms about his neck, he lowered his head and kissed her.

Lily gasped, for the kiss electrified her, it was sweet and fiery, gentle and demanding by turns and she never wanted it to end. It silenced all the doubts she had had and she ceased to wonder if Severus thought of her as just a friend. No man kissed a woman this way unless he truly desired her. Fire ignited deep within her and licked its way up her spine.

Then Severus recalled where he was, in the middle of the hallway, where either of the boys could walk by and see him in a passionate embrace with his houseguest. He reluctantly drew away, ending the brief interlude. "Forgive me. I . . . got carried away."

"There's nothing to forgive, Sev. We're both adults and . . . I'd love for you to carry me away again. When we have some privacy, that is." She cast him a look that left him no doubt that she desired him. Then she smiled and spun on her heel, returning to her room.

He watched her go, then called, "Aren't you going to ask Lucy her opinion?"

"I don't need to. If this outfit drew that reaction out of you, Severus, it's obviously the right one. Thank you," she chuckled, then quietly closed the door.

She twirled about in front of her mirrored vanity, feeling as giddy as a sixteen-year-old receiving her first real kiss. Come to think about it, Severus had given her that first kiss. But Merlin, he had learned a few things since then, she thought, lightly touching her lips and giggling.

Then she carefully removed her blouse, skirt, and boots, dressing again in her casual clothing. She now couldn't wait for Saturday night.

Page~*~*~*~*~Break

Twinkling fairy lights illuminated the walkway to the front entrance of Malfoy Manor, glittering and spinning among the topiary hedges and rosebushes lining the path to either side. The manor was a large stone affair, having been built sometime during the reign of Henry II and redesigned and added onto during the Elizabethan and Georgian eras. It was both imposing and tasteful, with its wrap around balconies, turrets, and the large open air portico with the small peaked roof over the double doors, reminiscent of the Greco-Roman style of architecture made popular in the 1700's.

Severus walked quickly up the stairs to the double doors, painted Slytherin green, and knocked firmly upon the door with the beast-shaped knocker.

Harry gasped upon seeing the oddly shaped knocker. "Look, Theo! It's the Questing Beast!"

"Like in the tales of King Arthur!" Theo murmured. "Wicked!"

"It has the head and neck of a serpent, the body of a leopard, the haunches of a lion and the feet of a doe. Its name comes from the great noise it emits from its belly, a barking like thirty couple hounds questing," Harry quoted along with Theo. Both boys had read the Arthurian legends so often they could practically recite them word for word.

The doors swung open and a small elf dressed in a tea towel bowed low to them. "My name is Dobby and Master Lucius and Mistress Narcissa bid you welcome to Malfoy Manor. It is an honor to serve! Please follow Dobby to the drawing room where—"

Dobby's carefully rehearsed speech was interrupted by a loud squeal. "Unca Sevvie's here, 'Raco!"

The sharp tripping tapping of tiny heels was heard as Aradia raced towards the entrance, her curls flying and eyes shining. "Unca Sevvie!"

She threw herself headlong at her godfather, who quickly knelt to catch her in his arms. He was immediately smothered in kisses by the little girl. "I missed you!" she declared.

Harry, Theo, and Draco smothered giggles behind their hands, and Lily looked over at Narcissa and Lucius and muttered, "He does have a way with the ladies, doesn't he?"

"Indeed," was all Lucius said, straightfaced.

"Mama, Papa, Unca Sevvie's here!" Aradia announced, grinning from ear to ear.

"Yes, I can see that, darling," Narcissa smiled. "Now why don't you let Uncle Sevvie breathe and come help me pick some flowers for the table? We need to make the table look pretty for dinner."

Aradia considered. She adored her godfather, but also enjoyed helping Mama like a big girl.

"Aradia, if you go with your mother and help like a good girl, I'll have a surprise for you after dinner," Severus persuaded. He had purchased a small stuffed dog for her at Diagon Alley, one that was charmed to behave like a real dog, for the girl loved dogs, but was allergic to their fur and so couldn't have one of her own. Her parents kept hoping she might grow out of it, and Severus was working on making a potion to help her control her allergy, but hadn't perfected it for a child's system yet.

"You will? Pwomise?" she shot her godfather a look that could have melted stone.

"Yes." He handed her to Narcissa.

Lucius politely greeted the rest of his guests, then turned to Draco and suggested he show Harry and Theo about the backyard while he served cocktails to Lily and Severus in the drawing room.

After obtaining cold butterbeers from Dobby, along with some small cakes, ham and cheese toast points, and mini sausage rolls, Draco led the way out into the yard. The grounds at the manor were extensive, and contained a deer park and a small forest where you could fish or explore the woods. Many times, Draco had followed Severus on his potion ingredient expeditions, and so was a budding botanist and junior potion maker.

"Over here's the pool," Draco indicated a fenced in area with an in-ground pool that looked like a natural pond with steps carved into rock. Next to that was a small kiddie play park, it had swings, a slide, a set of monkey bars and a small children's play castle. "That used to be mine, but now Aradia plays with it." There was a walkway surrounded by hedges, Draco took them down a few feet and showed them a gazebo and tennis courts.

Theo's eyes almost fell out of his head when he saw the child-sized Quidditch pitch and broom shed. "Holy Merlin! You've got your own pitch!"

"Father thought it was a good idea when I started getting into Quidditch to have my own private training area." Draco explained, looking slightly embarrassed. "I'd have rather gone to the local Junior Quidditch League, but Father said it's better to have my own coach so . . ."

"Could we . . . play a game or two?" Harry asked.

"Sure! But we might not have time to finish before supper," Draco said, looking pleased.

Harry had the feeling that the Malfoy's heir was lonely, it was obvious that Lucius and Narcissa preferred to keep their son close at hand. Harry could relate to that, since he'd never had any friends either until meeting Theo at Heatherton Cottage.

Abruptly, Harry recalled that Theo couldn't play with them, and asked apologetically, "Uh, would you mind, Theo? I forgot that you can't fly."

"No, that's all right, Harry. You two play, I'll keep score."

"Why won't you play?" Draco asked. "Are you afraid of heights or get sick flying?"

"No, it's because . . . I'm a Squib."

"Oh." Draco looked uncomfortable. "Then you'll be score keeper. That's an important job too." He went to get the brooms and balls from the shed.

Harry felt like an insensitive idiot for not remembering Theo couldn't play Quidditch without another wizard, like Severus or Lily, to fly with him. "Sorry, Theo. I can't believe I forgot that you can't fly a broom. I'm such an idiot!"

"It's all right, Harry. I almost forgot myself after seeing this," Theo said easily. "Don't worry, I'm not mad. Like Draco said, I can keep score and make sure neither of you cheats."

"I don't cheat!" Harry objected.

"You did when Severus and I raced you that time."

"I wasn't really cheating, just . . . trying to even the odds." Harry squirmed in embarrassment as he recalled that fateful day, when he had almost killed Theo by mistake.

"Which is cheating."

Harry scowled. "Fine, but I won't do that again. Not one-on-one Quidditch."

Draco returned with the brooms and he and Harry played an abbreviated version of Quidditch with the Quaffle and Snitch, but no Bludgers, since they had no Beater.

Theo carefully kept score and by the time Dobby came and told them to come in for dinner, the score was tied—12-12.

"Dobby, put the balls and brooms in the shed, please," Draco said and the elf obeyed.

Then the three boys headed back to the manor.

Lily told the boys to wash up before coming to sit at the table, they obeyed hurriedly, for despite their snacks earlier, they had worked up an appetite.

The family and their guests ate in the formal dining room, which reminded Harry of being in a castle, because there were banners with the Malfoy crest on them hanging on the wall amid many portraits of Malfoy ancestors. There was a very long table of polished mahogany with clawed feet that looked to have dated back to medieval times, it had been polished to a soft gloss and had a fine linen table cloth at one end.

Lucius sat at the head, with Lily on his right and Aradia on his left, who had insisted upon sitting next to Uncle Sevvie and Papa. Narcissa was next to Lily and Draco beside her, with Theo and Harry opposite.

Severus and Lucius were wearing tailored dress robes, Lucius had on silvery ones which shimmered like snakeskin and complimented his fair hair. Severus' were black with green trim, and bore a snake curled about a shining globe. His hair was pulled back neatly with a silver clasp and Lily thought she had never seen another man, not even James, as handsome as the Mind Healer.

Lily had on the blue blouse and black skirt ensemble, to her shock Narcissa actually complimented her on her good taste. The lady of the manor was wearing a sparkling gown of icy blue with long pointed sleeves, it was obviously custom made and flattered Narcissa's tall figure. Narcissa had put her hair up, save for a few artful tendrils about her neck, and her honey-gold hair gleamed in the candle light.

Lily preferred to wear her hair down, and it flowed about her shoulders in a red-gold cape, like a fiery corona.

Harry and Theo were wearing their best trousers and dress shirts and shoes. They even had ties, borrowed from Severus. Harry's was blue and Theo's green. Draco had on dress clothes as well, including dress robes.

The first course was served, a delicate offering of deviled eggs, caviar on toast, and chilled shrimp cocktail. That was accompanied by pumpkin juice for the children and white wine for the adults. Next came a mushroom consume, then a main course of roasted pheasant stuffed with chestnuts, grapes and seasoned bread crumbs, or salmon broiled in dill butter, or a chop basted with garlic and new potatoes. There was spinach with garlic and almonds, or a crisp green salad. The salmon was accompanied with whipped turnips seasoned with pepper and butter.

Everything was delicious, and even Theo had to admit, if only to himself, that the house elves were good cooks, almost as good as his mother.

For dessert there was ice cream sundaes or pumpkin crème brulee.

"More tea, Lily?" Narcissa asked, beckoning her personal elf, Sava.

"No thank you, Narcissa. If I eat any more I just might pop." Lily said appreciatively. "Everything was wonderful."

Narcissa smiled. "My house elves are good cooks. Which is just as well, since if Luc and the children were to rely on me to cook, we'd all starve. I can barely put together a sandwich, much less a meal. Cooking wasn't something my mother thought a well-bred girl ought to know."

"That's funny, and just the opposite of what my mother taught me," Lily said. "Where I grew up, cooking was just as important as learning how to sew a hem or clean house. A good wife was expected to know how to feed her husband and keep the house and children in order while he worked. Of course, that was back in my mother's day. Now, both husbands and wives work, but it's still expected that a girl should know how to cook basic meals."

"My mother would have had apoplexy hearing that," Narcissa laughed. "Cooking, according to Mother, was why you had house elves. A woman had an obligation to entertain her guests and promote her husband and his business. I know how to compliment a man in four languages, but I'm beginning to wish I knew how to season a roast or make soup instead."

Across from them, the boys were discussing Quidditch teams and players, while Lucius and Severus discussed the changes Fudge had implemented in the Ministry. Aradia yawned and nearly fell asleep over her sundae, rescued at the last minute by her father, who quickly picked her up and put her in his lap.

The blond imp snuggled against him, sucking her thumb and getting sticky handprints all over the back of his robes.

"Mother, we're all finished. May we be excused?" Draco asked Narcissa. "I want to show Harry and Theo my room."

"Very well."

The house elves vanished their plates and Draco took Harry and Theo to the second floor, where he showed them his room and the game room next to it. They played Wizard Chess, with Theo and Harry on one team against Draco. Harry was glad, since he was terrible at chess of any kind, but Theo proved to be a clever player, checkmating Draco in twenty moves.

Then they played table badminton, at which Draco was a master, and soundly thrashed both Theo and Harry.

Harry asked Draco if he was excited to go to Hogwarts, and the blond answered, "Yes, but it's too bad you won't be there too. If you were, what House would you think you'd be in?"

Harry shrugged. "I don't know. Gryffindor, maybe. Or Slytherin."

"How about you, Nott?"

Theo considered. "Uh . . . probably Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff. I'm not very brave or very cunning."

Below, Lucius had just finished telling Severus and Lily about the new law Fudge and his cabinet were trying to pass that would force all werewolves and any person bearing a "dangerous" talent to register with the Ministry, so the Ministry could make certain that no harm was being done by such individuals.

"What do you mean by "dangerous talents"?" demanded Severus. "Why single out people with unusual gifts as well as werewolves?"

"I think Fudge is afraid. He believes that if he locks up any individual that might be a threat, he'll be safe. What he fails to realize is that his position is never safe and restricting people that way is bound to cause trouble."

"You mean people like Harry, don't you?" queried Severus.

"Yes. Stormcallers are at the top of that list."

"Well, no petty bureaucrat is going to make me register Harry," Lily put in firmly, her eyes flashing her outrage. "My son is not an animal or a-a curiosity to be put on a list and labeled a menace!"

"I quite agree, Lily," Lucius said. "Would that Fudge was so reasonable. But he refuses to listen to me or the other who preach moderation. Instead he allows fear and his UnderSecretary, a vile bitch named Umbridge, to rule him." He looked disgusted.

"Do you think there's a chance the bill might pass?" asked Severus, concerned.

"There's always a chance. We just have to hope it doesn't. I'll keep you informed. In the meantime, I'd suggest you and your apprentice keep a low profile. For Fudge, sometimes out of sight is out of mind."

"We will do so. Thanks for the warning, old friend."

After warming cups of hot cocoa, Severus, Lily, and the boys took their leave. Aradia made a fuss, having woken just as Severus was leaving. But she quieted after Severus gave her the stuffed dog. He gave Draco an ostrich quill and ink set to use at school. Lily was quiet as they walked down the drive to the Apparition point, her mind dwelling on the bill that might yet pass and how it could affect Harry. Severus too was worried, but all Theo and Harry were thinking of was bed, for they were tired and stuffed from dinner and the extra custard tarts they had persuaded Dobby to get them from the kitchen while playing badminton.

The End.
End Notes:
I meant to update this much sooner, but retail with the holidays is very busy and I have extra shifts to cover at work as well as cooking for Thanksgiving and various other commitments so I haven't had time to write much. It's probably going to be that way for much of the holiday season, so updates will be less frequent.

But please review!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2479