Lost Treasures by slytherensangel26
Summary: Severus Snape thought he had it all.

And then tragedy struck. His wife was dead, two of his son were dead and one was missing.

What he doesn't know is that two of them are alive. What happens when the two sons reunite?
Response to Surviving Sons Challenge
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Bellatrix, Dumbledore, Original Character, Petunia, Vernon, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Creature!fic, Kidnapped, Runaway, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys, Vampires
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Neglect, Profanity, Violence
Prompts: The Surviving Sons
Challenges: The Surviving Sons
Series: Lost Treasures
Chapters: 15 Completed: Yes Word count: 28934 Read: 72089 Published: 19 Mar 2011 Updated: 01 Sep 2011
Midnight Conversations by slytherensangel26
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the long lull in chapters. Real life has an irritating way of halting the creative process.

Enjoy!

Severus swept into the infirmary once again to see Madame Pomfrey standing over Narcissa’s bed side. With a look of pure concentration on her slightly wrinkled face, she quietly chanted a spell and above the blonde’s stomach a very vivid image appeared.

It was a tiny fetus.

The medi-witch moved her free hand in a slow circle and the image rotated. Severus was spellbound as was the ex auror who sat in a chair nearby.

In silence they watched as the image changed again. The flesh dimmed to show the baby’s lungs and a moment later, just the skeleton. Thankfully, the baby seemed unharmed.

“It’s beautiful.” Hazel murmured softly, not wanting to break the older woman‘s focus.

But it didn’t seem to matter.

“Yes, she is.” Poppy replied. “There are few things that are as beautiful as an innocent child." She paused another minute before speaking again. "There is nothing as precious as this and I shudder to think what would have happened if that scoundral of a man had succeeded in cursing her. Thank Merlin she got away in time.”

Flicking her wand, she made the image vanish and then hid her wand back  up her sleeve.

“The children are safely asleep?” She asked seeing that the Potions Master had returned. Hazel turned as well, gracing him with a smile.

“The boys are in their dorms and Kelly fell asleep on the couch. I gave her a blanket and left her to dreams.” Then he turned to Poppy. “What are we to do now? There’ll be hell to pay once the Dark Lord finds his favorite follower dead.”

“He won’t get that far, ever. I’ll make sure of it.” Hazel stated with a voice full of determination. “That dark bastard will never put another child in danger again. If he was able to get to Ginny so easily, then what’s to stop him from getting Kelly, or any other young girl? I’ll die before I let anything happen to my daughter. She’s my life and I can’t bear the thought of anything happening to her.”

Severus put a comforting hand on her shoulder. “It won’t come to that, I’ll be there with you. You won’t have to fight Riddle alone.”

Hazel looked up at him with surprise on her face.

Severus gave her a rare smile. “I have my surviving sons back. I went through too many years thinking they were dead. Kelly is just as valuable and worth watching over as them.”

In that single moment, they connected…parent to parent. And she for the first time saw him in a new light. For the first time, she saw him as more then a cunning and handsome warrior. Under all those black robes, was a father. One whom would give his life for his sons.

Something in her changed then. For the first time in several years, she felt safe.

The silence had gone on for a bit longer then Severus was comfortable with.

“Hazel? Is everything alright?”

“Forgive me Severus. I didn’t mean to be silent so long. I often find myself introverted.”

“There’s nothing to forgive. I too often find myself wrapped up in my own thoughts.”

There was an awkward silence then.

Poppy watched them with interest.

“What will you do in the meantime? I very much doubt that the Dark Lord will retaliate tonight.”

“I should go back to the tavern. Madame Rosemerta will be anxious for news.”

Severus didn’t like that thought at all. With a heart stopping lurch, at hearing her words, he realized that he hated the thought of her back at the tavern…all alone. In the middle of the night.

“Stay with me.” he blurted out….and then blushed a moment later.

Hazel’s heart leapt at his words and then she collected herself. “I beg your pardon?”

Severus cleared his throat. "I must apologize for my outburst. I meant to say that it’s well past midnight and that it may be a better idea to stay here for the night. An owl can easily be sent to the Three Broomsticks.”

“And stay in the student dorms next to my daughter?” she asked.

“You may stay where ever you like,” Dumbledore said as he walked in. “Hogwarts is still your home, even after you’ve graduated.”

Hazel looked at Severus with a soft smile. “The Slytherin dorms will work for me.” Just then her stomach rumbled and she blushed. Severus looked at her. "Miss Hazel, would you care for a cup of tea in my sitting room. I have a wonderfully warm fire blazing in the hearth as we speak.”

“That sounds wonderful. Lead the way.”

Severus wasn’t sure what to do then, so he held out his arm in a gentlemanlike fashion and she chuckled before accepting his arm.


The hearth was blazeing just as he’d said. The richly appointed sitting room was so very welcoming. The couch was expertly upholstered in green and the frame was made of fashionable oak. As he helped her sit, there was a defining crack and Dobby appeared before them holding up a drunken house elf.

“Master Severus, It’s Winky sir.”

It was like having cold water thrown on him, and the lonely father disappeared and the head of Slytherin house returned. He glowered at the elf.

“I thought I told you to keep her away from the butter beer.”

“Winky wouldn’t listen sir, she’s pining for her master. Dobby keeps telling her how wonderful being a free elf is, but she pays Dobby no mind.”

Severus sighed and excused himself to go to his private cabinet and retrieved his tiny potion bottle. It was an extremely mild hangover potion that he’d brewed at Dumbledore’s request, this drinking problem had been going on for over a year with the miserable house elf.

When he came back, he saw Hazel kneeling over the passed out creature. The witch looked at him as he came back and held her hand out for the potion, which he gave her.

After tipping the concoction into her tiny mouth she pointed her wand at the elf and deftly flicked her wrist. With a moan, Winky woke up. She looked up at him in amazement.

“Master Severus!”

Severus fixed her with a stern look. "You are not to ever drink Butterbeer again Winky. I’m your new master and you belong to me.”

Winky looked up at him and smiled. “As you wish Master, what would you like Winky to do for you?”

"My guest and I are hungry, bring us some tea, and something light to eat." Winky bowed to him. "Yes master sir.” Then with another crack she was gone. Dobby beamed up at him. "Thanks you master Severus. You’s saved her!”

Severus just sighed. “What happened tonight is to be secret. I’ve only bound Winky to myself to keep her from pining for her former master, understand?”

Dobby nodded and then disappeared.

When that was done, Severus exhaled and then turned to his guest, “You’ll have to pardon that intrusion, that was not how I expected tonight to go.

“Life rarely ever goes as planned. It wasn’t that big an intrusion. And besides you’ve just saved the house elf, it was a quite masterful job.”

Severus chuckled at the joke.

"This is the hundredth time that Winky’s passed out drunk. Something had to be done to end it. Contrary to popular belief, I’m not the cruel heartless bastard that the Gryffindores make me out to be. I’ve just been alone for a long time. I thought I’d lost everything…” Severus trailed off blushing.

Thankfully, Hazel didn’t seem to mind. She was looking at her hands. “The Dark Lord robbed me too. I don’t have my fiancée and Kelly doesn’t have her father.”

Severus sat down on the couch next to her. He put an arm around her and without realizing what she was doing, she leaned into his embrace. It was a moment of quiet grieving…for both of them.

“What are we to do now Severus?”

His answer was hushed. “Live. We’re both parents and our children need us.”

Hazel’s heart skipped a beat at his words…it sounded so good to her. She looked up at Severus who seemed to be shocked at his own words. Neither knew what to say.

Thankfully they were saved by Winky and Dobby who both appeared with two trays. One was a silver tea service and the other was a food tray laden with sandwiches and crisps. It was simple fare but it looked delicious.

As Hazel poured the tea, severus found himself to be speaking again.

"Malfoy was very charismatic in school…and very persuasive. He knew how to use my terrible childhood against me…he played me like a fiddle…and I had no defense against it…until Artemis interfered. She saved me from myself and kept me from the dark path.”

Hazel handed him the teacup. He spoke in a haunted voice…as if he could see Artemis in front of him.

"There are many who think I was the one who told the Dark Lord where to find the Potters…but it was Peter Pettigrew. He coaxed it out of Black while they were drinking together…and then the rat told it all to the Dark Lord."

"Lily begged her husband to make me secret keeper…but he refused. I may have hated James and his ‘marauders’ but Lily was my best friend. I would have sooner died then betray them. I hated alcohol…but the night they died was the first night I started drinking….and again, Aretimis saved me. She took the bottle away from me and then made me go to bed…” Severus chuckled darkly then. “If not for her, I could have drunken myself to death. She was always saving my arse. But I couldn’t save hers.”

It was Hazel’s turn to comfort him. She took his teacup from him and then wrapped him in a hug.

They were both quiet and lost in their grief for several long minutes…and when they broke apart, they gazed at each other.

“I’ve been alone too long.” Severus whispered in a strained voice.

“You won’t be alone anymore.” Hazel replied in the same hushed tone.

And then they were kissing. Severus almost cried out when he felt love rush into him again…and he found he couldn’t stop himself…or maybe the cry came from Hazel.

He didn’t care at this point…and he gave into the heat.

That night they both caved in…and their grief became passion…and they basked in it.

 

The End.
End Notes:
So, how did you like this chapter?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2483