My Secret Father by JAWorley
Summary: For four years Harry Severus Potter has gone to school in the shadow of his secret father… the one everybody whispers behind his back about. For four years, said father has ignored him, and encouraged his second son Kenai to taunt, pick on, and bully Harry. They all look alike, but none are so much the same… or are they more alike than they think? Harry is finding unlikely allies and friends in all the wrong places.
Categories: Healer Snape, Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Flitwick, Fred George, Ginny, Hagrid, Hedwig, Hermione, McGonagall, Neville, Original Character, Other, Petunia, Pomfrey, Ron, Umbridge, Vernon, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape's a Bully, Snape Comforts, Snape is Cruel, Snape is Depressed, Snape is Desperate, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Injured!Harry, Injured!Snape, Kidnapped, Kidnapped!Harry, Runaway, Sibling Addition
Takes Place: 6th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Profanity, Romance/Het, Torture, Violence
Prompts: Real Brother, Life Sentence
Challenges: Real Brother, Life Sentence
Series: JAWorley's Challenges, My Secret Father
Chapters: 17 Completed: Yes Word count: 46704 Read: 216146 Published: 28 Mar 2011 Updated: 28 Apr 2013
Just A Girl by JAWorley
Author's Notes:
Some fluff to start off with, and more aggravation int he end.
Why was it that his face always had to turn colors when girls were talking to him? Not just any girl, but this girl who was sitting on the edge of his Hospital bed, telling him how pale Kenai looked when Harry had fallen. Ginny. His heart leaped a little when she had first walked in, and now he sat there with red cheeks as she laid her hand on his covered knee and spoke softly to him, eyes worried and glad all at the same time that he was not dead.

"I don't know how it is that you didn't die. It happened so fast, and then right at the end you slowed, but only just. There's still a muddy indentation where you landed in the field, although it's hardened now."

"Maybe we should go cement it and make it permanent," Harry said to a questioning look from Ginny, who didn't know anything about mixing or pouring cement. Harry wished he didn't know anything about it either, but the Dursleys had made him pour a new driveway last summer when he'd cut his finger gardening and dripped some blood on the old one on his way to the hose.

"I saw him outside the Hospital Wing you know, just lingering, like he was trying to decide whether or not to come in."

"Who?"

"Kenai. You should have seen just how pale he was as the Headmaster and other Professors rushed to you lying on the field. I'm just glad you're ok Harry." She kept saying that, and kept saying his name, and he shot her a look and then turned red again.

Overcome with some sort of need to feel manly then instead of just sitting there with uncontrollable red cheeks, Harry leaned back and put his hands behind his head. "What, this injury? It's nothing, really. Madam Pomfrey says I can go later today." He glanced to see if she thought it was a manly statement, but when she smirked he turned red again and dropped his hands.

"What?"

"Well, it's just that you... well it's cute when you turn red like that." She hesitated and then said, "Hermione says you only do it around me."

He could actually feel his face and ears burning now, and Ginny giggled at the site of him.

"Well maybe I like you," Harry said, wishing Hermione would have kept her mouth shut, but Ron had already warned him that this is the way girls were, Hermione and Ginny especially.

Now it was Ginny's turn to blush, and it was a little more noticeable under her already flaming hair.

"Well maybe I like you back," she hedged, and took Harry's hand, something he had still been trying to gain the courage to do. Sure, he could royally piss off Voldemort and not bat an eye, kill his 300 pound monster snake, stab the copy of him that had been hiding in a diary for 50 years, and face him down in a graveyard... that was all in a day's work, but he couldn't manage to make himself speak right or to reach over and take Ginny's hand without her doing it first, could he? Oh yeah, very manly Harry.

She giggled and said, "You're doing it again."

Not knowing what else to do, he laughed a little too and gripped her hand too, feeling anxious about his hand feeling warm and sweaty all of a sudden.

"Does this mean we're going out?"

"I don't know," she said in a very Luna like way. "You haven't asked me yet."

"Will you go out with me?"

She blushed again and gripped his hand tighter. "Maybe I'll just have to stay in with you first and see where that goes." She scooted her chair closer to his bed then and leaned over to put her head on his chest. He was sure then that she would hear his heart, as it worked on beating it's way right out of his chest.

‘Dear Severus, I wish I could ask you for advice about girl stuff, but I'm sure you'd never let me do that. They're so very confusing, and I have fallen right into their trap, turning red and sweaty, and fumbling all over my tongue. Wouldn't it be so much easier if you could just tell me what mistakes to avoid beforehand?'

* * *

Ron was not angry, and for this Harry was eternally grateful. He did not want to go at life alone without his best friend. Because Ron and Hermione were dating, Harry knew from experience that if he and Ron were on the outs, than so were he and Hermione. Ron was fine with him dating Ginny however, with a stern word to Harry in private not to be producing little Snape Potter Weasleys while they were still in school. Yes, he actually told Harry that, to much embarrassment on Harry's part, but he imagined that perhaps Ron had gotten the same lecture from his parents when he informed them he and Hermione were dating. He could just see Mrs. Weasley telling him not to make little Weasley Grangers until they were married, or something of the sort.

The embarrassing conversation was well worth it now however, he thought to himself, as he sat with fingers entwined with Ginny in the common room three days after he'd been released from the Hospital Wing. He could sit here forever with her, he thought, not letting the outside world butt into his life.

Unfortunately for Harry, the outside world had already butted itself in and made itself right at home, namely Professor Umbridge, the toad woman from the Ministry.

"I can't believe she won't let us practice any of this... I mean, I don't understand any of the essays she's had us writing about how the magic works." Ron grumbled over his essay before he crumpled it up and tossed it into the fireplace, watching it burn with satisfaction. "Just one more failing paper mum will never get to see," he said as if the fire had made a job well done.

"We really do need to be practicing," Hermione hedged with a glance at Harry and then a meaningful look at Ron. "With the Ministry disappearance and those Dementors they caught lurking around London making the Muggles afraid."

Harry nodded and Ginny tightened her grip on his hand then. She was the only one aside from the journal that Harry had been telling his nightmares of Voldemort to lately. He had been witnessing all sorts of atrocities he had ordered, including Muggle hunting.

"We could start a club," Ron suggested then. "Like the dueling club in second year. I bet we could get Professor McGonagall to approve it."

Looking up at this, Harry thought it was a fairly smart idea. If she wouldn't teach them, then they would teach themselves. Harry already had a list of spells he'd picked up that no Defense teacher had ever taught them, and he was sure others had similar spells to share.

"That sounds fun," said Neville then, listening in from a couch by the fire. "I bet Professor McGonagall knows lots of defense spells."

"I was thinking more about something student lead," Hermione said with another look at Harry.

"What, me?" He pointed at his chest.

"Why not? You've been up against... well, you know who so many times now that you're sure to have tips that will help us in battle. That is why we need to practice after all, isn't it?"

Harry sighed. There was life knocking on his forehead. Ginny leaned into him though, and he felt at ease with the situation.

"If you can get it approved by McGonagall, I'll think about it."

Hermione and his other friends grinned. "Good, I'd hoped you'd say that."

* * *

"Magical Decree Number One From The Hogwarts High Inquisitor Dolores Jane Umbridge: No student clubs shall hereafter be authorized, and all previously authorized student clubs, gatherings, associations, and teams shall be disbanded immediately, with the exception of the four house Quidditch teams, which will henceforth be supervised by the High Inquisitor at every practice."

Ron gagged as Harry read the decree allowed that Filch had just nailed high on the wall above the doors leading into the Great Hall.

"Fantastic," Harry said. "That shot that plan."

"But Professor McGonagall just approved us for a dueling club yesterday!" Ron said, trying to sound angry but coming off more whiny than anything else.

"And, look what appears today," Harry said, pointing up at the decree. "She really doesn't want us learning to fight. Because if we're learning then the Ministry is wrong and Voldemort can't really be back. UGH!"

Harry grunted as something solid collided with him and he glared at Kenai as he pushed past. "Don't say his name!" he hissed angrily, and continued on his way into the Great Hall for lunch.

"I wonder if we could get away with- UGH" Ron grunted halfway through his sentence then as Harry elbowed him hard at the sight of Umbridge coming down the grand staircase.

"Did you have something you wanted to say?" she said ever so politely (in a gagging sort of way) to Harry, batting her eyelashes.

Harry shook his head, mouth firmly clamped down, and she smiled widely, head tilted, and said, "Oh, I am so very glad I was able to help you learn a lesson Mr. Potter. You have just made my day. One point to Gryffindor!" She left then and Ron glared darkly at her back.

"I'm tempted to do something nasty to Snape just to lose that ugly point she gave us," Ron said, arms crossed.

"Five points from Gryffindor for the mere thought Weasley," Snape said roughly from behind as he separated the two to get into the Great Hall. Ron actually stuck his tongue out at the man, but he didn't see as he hadn't looked back. No, he wouldn't either, because then he'd have to see his firstborn spawn. That is what I must be after all, Harry thought, just spawn, not even worthy of a second glance... or a first.

"As I was saying," Ron continued, glancing around to be sure they were alone, but Harry held up a hand to stop him.

"I know what you were saying. Work on finding a space big enough for us to practice, and I'll work on a way to let everyone know in secret." With this, he glanced up at the decree on the wall, and noted in tiny writing at the bottom, that punishments for breaking this one rule included lines with Professor Umbridge. Fantastic, he thought again, clenching his scarred hand subconsciously. Always digging myself another bloody hole.

* * *

"Psst. Potter."

Harry turned around to squint into the darkness, where a blond head appeared from behind a statue of an ugly witch with three eyes and a horn growing from the side of her head. He walked over to Draco Malfoy, and paid close attention, knowing that twice before this boy had warned or helped him out of a tight spot. He was like a spy in the den of snakes... a secret Gryffindor at heart.

"Yeah?" Harry asked cautiously.

"Are you dueling against school rules tonight?"

Eyes narrowed for a moment, Harry studied him, and then began to laugh. "Yeah Malfoy, that's what we're doing. I am not telling you anything that could get me blood lines."

Draco shuddered and hid his hand behind his back subconsciously, and Harry knew then that Draco had also had detention with the foul woman at some point.

"I want to learn. I overheard Seamus Finnegan talking to some Ravenclaws."

Harry crossed his arms then. "Look into my eyes and tell me the truth."

Draco stared at him dead on, and didn't have to say it, for Harry saw it there in images that flashed past his mind. There were flashes of light as Draco was tossed onto his back by a nasty curse sent at him by his father, and Harry straightened up. This was the fifth time his mind had somehow connected with someone else's, and this time it showed him something he didn't want to know.

"Tonight is the first night, and you have to sign a paper that swears you'll never tell, or else be cursed with magical pimples that you can't get off your face. And don't forget the punishment from Umbridge if you're caught attending."

Draco nodded, face pale as he rubbed his left hand. "Come on then," Harry waved, and wondered if he were leading a secret Gryffindor into the Lion's den, or a snake.

His friends didn't even have to say the same thing for Harry to know what they were thinking, because the look of surprise on their faces was enough as Harry lead Draco into their newly found secret room, the Room of Requirement.

His eyes scanned the crowd and he found 10 Ravenclaws, a few Hufflepuffs, the entire sixth and seventh year out of Gryffindor along with a smattering of younger Gryffindors, and the lone Slytherin, Draco.

"Shall we get started then?"

* * *

As it turned out, Draco knew more defensive spells than Harry did, and proved a useful resource that first night in compiling a list of spells they knew and would teach to everyone who signed the paper stating that they were Dumbledore's Army (pure spite on Hermione's part in writing the title, since they were not allowed to be a part of any club, or association, but the decree said nothing about being in an army).

More than just being a good spell resource, Draco also seemed to be aiming for friend, much to the displeasure of Ron and many of the other Gryffindor males. Ginny didn't seem to mind however, and Harry was again grateful to her for being exactly who she was.

One such occasion during which Harry suspected Draco might be trying to be his friend occurred after lunch two weeks after they'd started the DA. A familiar noise was made to get Harry's attention, and he found Draco half hidden behind a statue in the Entrance Hall.

"We've got to stop meeting like this," Harry said. "People will see and think something else." Draco paled, if that was even possible with his already fair skin, and gave Harry a dirty look.

"Well I can stop informing you on your jerk brother if you'd like." He crossed his arms and Harry straightened up.

"What's going on?"

"I happen to know he's upstairs hitting on your girlfriend in the Charms corridor. Something about taking her for a ride on his new Firebolt?"

Harry bolted up the stairs, and was surprised when two floors up Draco was still behind him. For all the secrecy the boy displayed at not wanting to be seen with Harry, there he was with his wand out, and for a moment Harry wondered if he'd been lead into a trap, until he spotted Ginny looking uncomfortable and Kenai with his arm over her head against the corridor wall.

"Oh, see, there he is now," she said and turning red hurried to stand behind Harry and Draco.

"What are you doing Kenai?" Harry was fairly furious just now, and his fist clenched tightly as he forgot all about his wand.

Kenai gave a suave smile, something he must have learned from Severus, although Harry had never seen the man smile before. "Just sending a message Potter," he said smoothly, "that's all. I wanted you to know that the stunt you pulled during the last game didn't go over very well, and you'd better be on your guard."

He smiled again and then walked past Harry, not even bothering with a second glance at Draco or a question as to why he was there with the golden boy and his girlfriend.

"I'm so tired of him," Harry said, unclenching his fist and turning to watch the retreating back of his brother.

"You're not the only one," Draco said quietly, before they headed off to work on plans for the next DA meeting, Ginny firmly refusing to leave Harry's side.

‘Dear Dad, your other son is a real jerk. Did you send him to try and steal my girlfriend just because I'm better at Quidditch than he is? I won't keep protecting him if that's the case. Signed your ever unhappy son.'

The End.
End Notes:
Ok, so generally I don't write romance, but I really felt like Harry needed some more support here. Agreed?

There is so much angst and some new twists in the next chapter. Let me know what all you think and any ideas you have for the story! Thanks for reading!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2487