Back in Time by etherian
Summary: Detention turns into disaster as Snape, Hermione, Draco, Harry and Ron are tossed 96 years into their past. Canon up to PoA, AU after. Enemies become friends united in a quest to return home. Harry discovers family in the most unlikely of wizards.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Time Travel
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 91 Completed: Yes Word count: 310291 Read: 277367 Published: 31 Mar 2011 Updated: 31 Mar 2011
Chapter 12 by etherian

When Snape finally caught up with the headmistress, it seemed there was no more for him to say. He had offended her, and she had dismissed him. He silently escorted Lyrica back to her office and after a curt, 'good afternoon', Snape turned away and made his way to the library. Later he would consider an apology. He realized his tone of voice, cold and abrupt, was most likely what she had taken offense at. It was a tone he'd become familiar with as a child when his father was telling him how stupid he was. Putting aside such thoughts, he walked into the library and back to the restricted section.

"Where is Mr. Malfoy?" Snape stood before the doorway to the to the restricted section with a deep scowl on his face and his arms crossed over his chest. He stared down at the Golden Trio, their noses in books. There was no sign of Draco.

Ron shrugged. "He left."

"Ah." Snape bit out as though that explained everything. Like a cobra striking, he leaned abruptly over the redhead. "That is not sufficient, Mr. Weasely. Where did Mr. Malfoy go?"

Ron's book was now over his head so Hermione spoke up, "We were at the Quidditch practice and then he left. We just assumed that he'd come back here, Professor."

"Mm hmm." Looking around as though the boy in question might be there, but hiding, Snape then drawled, "He doesn't appear to be here, Miss Granger." Finally he snapped. "Did any of you think to look for him?" The guilty looks were answer enough, but Potter had to add his piece.

"We thought he'd like to be by himself for awhile, Professor," Harry muttered. Snape's dark, glittering glower settled on the boy. Clearly the man was waiting for much more than that. "We had an arguement!" Harry matched Snape's glare.

"Go. To. Your rooms. Now." Snape's tone brooked no argument and without a word, they headed, very nearly at a run, as quickly as possible for Gryffindor tower.

For several minutes Snape stared at the empty table. Had he not told them to stay together? Didn't any of them realize this wasn't a simple adventure? "Those mutton-headed Gryffindors!" he muttered as he swept out of the library.

Almost an hour later Snape made his way to Lyrica's office. It was dusk outside and Snape's irritation with Draco had now become concern. Lyrica opened the door of her office and ushered the obviously distraught man inside. "What has happened, Severus?"

"Draco Malfoy has wandered off someplace. I summoned a house elf to check his room, but he hasn't been back there." He began pacing. "I have tried a Locator Spell, but it is not working. I'm not certain why. I've never had trouble before."

"I wouldn't expect a Locator spell to work in this time. Your imprint and that of the children isn't sufficient." She rose from her desk and came round it. "He will be unable to leave the grounds of Hogwarts and with the wards around the Forbidden Forest, he's safe from there." She stepped in front of him to stop his pacing. "Severus, you're more than the boy's teacher; you're his head of house, correct?"

Snape frowned, irritated at any delay in searching for Draco, but was curious about what the headmistress had in mind. "I am. If it helps, I am the boy's godfather, as well."

"Perfect. My mother was a practitioner in Bulgaria of elemental magic. It is a powerful discipline of magic, but a dying art since it is still considered derogatorily as 'female magic'. Quite foolish, really, since any wizard worth his salt could easily enhance his power by drawing on the elements."

"What are you babbling about?" snapped Severus. He was concerned about Draco and wasn't in the mood for a lecture in ancient magical practices.

"I am helping you to find your godson!" she snapped right back. Her gaze blazed warningly for a brief second, before she was once again calm. "Take out your wand and hold it just as you would if you were casting a spell."

"What are you attempting?" Snape asked quietly as he removed his wand from his sleeve.

"Castle Hogwarts was built here for a reason; it is located over one of the most powerful ley line configurations to be found in all of Europe..."

"Ley lines?" Snape interrupted. "I had no idea!" A chill suddenly went down his spine as he thought of Voldemort. Snape had always wondered what continually drew the Dark Lord to Hogwarts and now he wondered if the ley line power source could have something to do with it.

"Severus?" Lyrica had not missed the ashen expression that flitted, nearly ghost-like, across his features as she mentioned the ley lines. Just as she was about to touch his arm, he shook his head sharply and asked, "Tell me, what are we to do next?"

"It's simple. Just close your eyes and picture... Draco in your mind. Get as strong an image as possible. When I tap into the ley line, I shall take your hand. You must retain your balance, as well as you can." She smiled briefly. "You're much taller than I am and I cannot both support you and contain the ley line force."

Snape's eyes were already closed and he said curtly, "I have his image."

Lyrica closed her eyes and opened herself to the elemental magic energy of the ley lines beneath Hogwarts. The energy was like a living flame that sought the door she'd opened. As her mother had taught her, she drew in the power she needed, controlling it carefully so that it did not overwhelm her and draw her into its very chaos. She then began to channel the power into Severus.

Snape's body stiffened as he felt the power hit him. It was fire but did not cause him pain. It swelled within him and he fought, for just a moment, to hold onto the image of Draco in his mind. That focus caused a window to open in his mind and he was instantly able to see just where the boy was.

"I can see him!" he declared hoarsely. The abrupt sensation of that power being drawn away sent him to his knees. His wand fell from his hands and he felt momentarily unable to breathe. Lyrica was immediately at his side, but she was not touching him.

"Breathe, Severus." He drew in a shallow breath as he struggled to make his lungs expand. "Don't force it," she spoke softly. "Now, slowly and evenly, breathe." Doing his best to relax, he finally drew in a breath, let it out and drew in another. He was able to open his eyes and did so as he rose to his feet. She could see the questions in his eyes, but she could not allow him to dwell on those, yet. "Where is Draco?"

Snape could not comprehend precisely what had happened, but he knew he would be asking the headmistress about this power. For now, her reminder of Draco, brushed away his questions. He replied, "He's in the maze." Snape spoke softly. He wondered if the maze was as dangerous now as it was in his own time. "Is he safe in there?"

"No, but I'm able to apparate to him."

"I'll go with you," Snape began but Lyrica shook her head.

"I am not very good at side-apparition; we could easily get splinched. Go to the hospital wing and ask Madam Aisling to meet us at the entrance of the maze." With a pop, she was gone. Snape left the office, making his way quickly to the hospital wing.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2494