Back in Time by etherian
Summary: Detention turns into disaster as Snape, Hermione, Draco, Harry and Ron are tossed 96 years into their past. Canon up to PoA, AU after. Enemies become friends united in a quest to return home. Harry discovers family in the most unlikely of wizards.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Time Travel
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 91 Completed: Yes Word count: 310291 Read: 277310 Published: 31 Mar 2011 Updated: 31 Mar 2011
Chapter 17 by etherian

"Why are you such a git?" Ron asked Draco as he skimmed rocks across the lake. Draco scowled at the redhead, but had the sense to realize that although the question was a bit insulting, Ron really wanted an honest answer.

Draco threw a rock that skipped beautifully and was then caught by a mermaid. "I'm Slytherin..."

It was Ron's turn to scowl. "Not that I'm at all fond of Slytherin, but bein' Slytherin isn't an automatic 'be a bastard' card. Corso Bedane, you know who is?"

"Course I do!" snapped Draco. He frowned a moment, then asked. "Who is he?"

"Hermione told me this, but Corso Bedane, a Slytherin, is one of the most famous Animagus' known to wizards. Oh yeah, and one of the very first, too."

Draco paused before skipping another rock. "Really?"

"Yeah. And he wasn't a git, either." Ron paused and stared at Draco. "So what's you're excuse."

Draco shrugged and threw another rock. He hated being put on the spot. "I don't know," he shrugged. "It's kind of expected."

"Uh huh. Upholding a long time Malfoy family tradition?"

Draco dropped his rocks and turned on Ron, catching him with a fist to the nose. "Just because my father's... well... and my aunt is in Azkhaban... it doesn't mean I'm just like them! Is everyone alike in your damn family, Weasel?"

Ron touched his nose gingerly and swiped at a small trickle of blood. "No. Even mum wonders sometimes if Percy isn't a changeling. How he ever got in Gryffindor, I'll never know."

Draco crossed his arms over his chest. He'd run into Percy a few times himself at Hogwarts and the head boy's exactitude was intimidating, to say the least. Goyle once called the odd Weasley 'mini Snape'. "Where do you think he should have been sorted?"

"Honestly?" Ron asked. Draco nodded. "I think he'd of been right at home in Slytherin."

"Too right!" chuckled Draco. He picked up a couple of rocks and handed them to Ron. He threw one that didn't skip but arced across the water. Another mermaid leapt from the cold water and caught it. "You know, if we ever get back, it's all going back the way it was."

Ron shrugged and skipped a rock. "Can't be helped."

"S'pose not," muttered Draco.

"By the way, punch me again and I'll make sure Hermione breaks your nose a second time." Draco saw the smirk on Ron's face at the jibe and snorted with laughter.

For several minutes both boys were silent except for the sound of rocks skipping and plunking into the lake. "Do you really hate Hermione?" Ron was referring to last Autumn when Draco had shocked everyone, including a few Slytherins, by openly calling Hermione a 'mudblood'; a derogatory term for anyone that was half muggle and half wizard.

Draco threw a few more rocks, not really paying attention to where they were going. One flew wide and pinged off of a large boulder that sat out to the side. The blonde-haired boy sighed heavily. "She's irritating, but... well, that's all she is. A know-it-all show off." He sat down upon the bank of the lake and stared at the now stilling waters. "My dad bought me a Durmstrang 5000 when he heard... when Dumbledore told him about that."

Ron looked down at the pensive boy. "I've never seen you with a Durmstrang 5000!" The broom, custom-made for Durmstrang Academy students was one of the most expensive brooms in the world.

"Nope. It's kindling now. I threw it at the Whomping Willow." Disturbed by how much he'd opened himself, and to of all people one of the boys who was supposed to be his enemy, Draco stood up and stalked off some distance away from Ron. Ron didn't run after him. He felt a little off-kilter as well.

Several feet away from Ron and Draco, Hermione and Harry sat beneath a tall tree. Hermione was weaving tiny little flowers into a crown. Harry was watching the strange exchange between the Gryffindor and the Slytherin. He'd missed the punch Draco had given Ron.

"I never thought I'd see those two speaking civilly," Harry mused.

"It's good practice," murmured Hermione.

"What? Talking to Slytherins?"

"They're not all Death Eaters, Harry." Hermione tossed the unfinished crown onto the ground. "Do you think Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff and Rowena Ravenclaw would have created Hogwarts with Salazar Slytherin if they'd felt he had nothing but evil to contribute?"

"Salazar Slytherin was a blood purist, Hermione. He created the Chamber of Secrets and his pet killed Moaning Myrtle and almost killed Ginny!" Harry crossed his arms tightly over his chest.

"Oh calm down," Hermione chastised Harry. "I know Salazar Slytherin wasn't a saint, but because Slytherin House has a reputation for producing dark wizards, that doesn't mean they all are. There happen to be a couple of Death Eaters that came from Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw. You know, Harry, if you're not careful, Draco might wind up being an unexpected ally someday."

Harry snorted derisively. "You're daft, Hermione."

"And you're stubborn. Maybe you ought to have been sorted into Ravenclaw." Hermione jumped up to her feet and walked away from Harry.

For a few seconds Harry stared at the edge of the lake and looked up just as Draco walked away from Ron. Rising to his feet, he went after his friend. "Hermione! Wait." He jogged up to her. "Look, don't get mad at me. I've had two years of Draco, Snape, most of the nasties in Slytherin and Voldemort. I think I have a right to have a cynical opinion of them."

Hermione sighed. "I suppose you do, Harry, but... well, when the time comes, don't be surprised if you greatest ally is someone you least expect." Draco was walking toward them and Harry studied the boy.

Draco was unaware of the scrutiny as he approached Harry and Hermione. "It'll be dinnertime soon. I'm going back. You two coming?"

Hermione fell into step beside Draco and Harry waved to get Ron's attention. "Oy! Ron! Let's go!" Ron paused a moment and then began to run toward them. All four were silent as they made their way back to Hogwarts castle.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2494