Back in Time by etherian
Summary: Detention turns into disaster as Snape, Hermione, Draco, Harry and Ron are tossed 96 years into their past. Canon up to PoA, AU after. Enemies become friends united in a quest to return home. Harry discovers family in the most unlikely of wizards.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Time Travel
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 91 Completed: Yes Word count: 310291 Read: 277279 Published: 31 Mar 2011 Updated: 31 Mar 2011
Chapter 4 by etherian

Hermione felt she'd really bollixed everything this time. She was seated in a chair in the corner of the guest room that was Draco's. She hadn't touched any of the food that had been sent by the elves. Hermione just sat there, a perpetual glare stuck upon her features. Ron and Harry had given up trying to soothe her. They couldn't understand why she was completely blaming herself when they'd never have been in the Forbidden Forest if it hadn't been for Snape and his stupid idea for detention. Ron had also tried blaming Draco who had started the whole thing by fighting.

Draco was also pouting as he stood in a surly pose by the fireplace. Here he was stuck with the three people he hated most in the world and he was in the Gryffindor tower. He didn't understand why he couldn't just bunk with the Slytherins until Snape had gotten them out of this mess. He was also disgusted about being blamed for the fight. He knew it was Potter's fault by starting the day off by calling him 'Goldilocks' in the courtyard.

Harry and Ron were faring better than Hermione and Draco. Ron and Harry were tucking into the very late night meal with abandon. It was distressing that they'd travelled back in time, but it was also a great adventure. Clearly their appetites had been unaffected.

"Can you believe that was Dumbledore?" Ron asked of Harry. "He's no taller than you are!"

Harry chuckled. "But he's head boy. He ought to be taller. Wouldn't he be about 16... maybe 17? I almost lost it when he offered you a sherbet lemon!"

Ron shook his head, grinning as he stabbed a small roasted potato with his fork. "Mione, do you want some roast beef?" Hermione ignored Ron and he shrugged.

"Hermione?" Hermione heard Harry, but she didn't acknowledge him. "Hermione! Give it up will you?"

"I'm not hungry," she grunted.

"Neither am I!" snapped Draco.

Ron scowled at Draco. "Did we ask you?"

Harry didn't even bother to acknowledge the Slytherin boy and this earned the Boy-Who-Was-A-Git a sneer before he turned his attention to Hermione. After several long minutes, Draco's voice hissed, "I don't know why you tried to help me, Granger."

"The customary response is thank you, Malfoy," she snapped.

"I was doing just fine..."

Hermione bristled and turned to stare at him. Ron and Harry stopped stuffing their mouths to watch the exchange.

"Were you, Malfoy? I seem to recall you were about to be turned into faery fodder! As loathsome as you are, not even you deserve that."

Draco crossed his arms stubbornly over his chest. "All I needed was my wand," he grunted.

Hermione sighed. "Are you being obtuse on purpose, Draco?"

"What?" Unaware of what 'obtuse' meant, Draco wasn't sure whether or not he'd just been insulted on top of everything else.

"The faeries had you above Snape's head, Malfoy. You're lucky that you came away with just a few scratches. If I hadn't... well, you would have been dead by now."

There was a long silence and then Draco asked quietly, "What did Snape call them?"

"Vohlfayr. Blood faeries, I think," Harry replied from the table.

"Yeah." echoed Ron. "Mum used to tell us the Blood Faeries'd get us, when we didn't behave. Never thought they'd be real."

After a long silence Draco quietly muttered, "Thanks, Granger."

To Harry and Ron's shock, her frown lifted and she smiled at their mortal enemy. "You're welcome, Draco."

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2494