Back in Time by etherian
Summary: Detention turns into disaster as Snape, Hermione, Draco, Harry and Ron are tossed 96 years into their past. Canon up to PoA, AU after. Enemies become friends united in a quest to return home. Harry discovers family in the most unlikely of wizards.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Time Travel
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 91 Completed: Yes Word count: 310291 Read: 277328 Published: 31 Mar 2011 Updated: 31 Mar 2011
Chapter 41 by etherian

Snape truly was tired of this day and he still had to deal with Draco. Of course, the matter of Elydree was something he knew would someday have to be addressed, he just hadn't expected it to be so soon. The Odd Room, whatever the hell that was, was another reason they had to leave Hogwarts. The sooner the better.

Caught up as he was in the events of today and his current thoughts, he was just a bit caught off guard by how quickly he'd arrived at Lyrica's office. The gargoyle slid aside and he ascended the circular staircase and approached the open door.

"Good evening, Severus," greeted the headmistress.

Snape had just walked through the door of her office and couldn't immediately see her. He stepped further into the office and a portrait of a previous headmaster pointed up over Snape's head. He turned and looked upward to see Lyrica standing on the balcony shelving some books. Her robes were hung by her desk and she wore a simple dress of dark green velvet.

"Good evening, Lyrica." He smiled slightly as just the sight of her was enough to soothe the headaches of this afternoon.

"I have been working on a variation of Prynne's Concealing Potion. Purely a cosmetic potion at the moment and impermanent. I believe it could be used medically and permanently if I were able to infuse the properties of Stanislaw Root and Avernum." Her entusiasm for the subject sent a frisson of appreciation down Snape's spine. He watched as she put away the last book and hurried down the stairs toward him. She touched his arm briefly and over to her desk where she consulted a piece of parchment. "So far the only permanence seems to come from melting my cauldron. The puzzle is making me feel like a first year."

"Avernum is a difficult ingredient to work with even at the best of times. I've found that its potency is enhanced by its age. The fresher it is, the more trouble it is worth. Have you thought of a scarab carapace?" Snape was drawn easily into the puzzle, quite pleased to take a few minutes to discuss the dynamics of a potion with someone not a student.

"No, I hadn't." Leaning over her desk, she snatched up a quill and made a note. "I can see where it might substitute for the Avernum, but the carapace with the St. John's Wort could be volatile." Lyrica made another note, made a correction and then touched the end of the quill to her lips.

Snape regarded Lyrica's pose and the graceful line of shoulder, back and hip. Her dress, as with all her clothing, complemented her figure as its drapes enhanced her natural grace and fluidity. The quill tapping her lips caused his breath to catch in his throat, and his thoughts were momentarily tossed by the wayside as he felt entirely too jealous of the hawk feather. He coughed awkwardly as he realized Lyrica had said something to him and he hadn't heard it. "Pardon?" he croaked.

Lyrica, still poised over her notes, repeated herself. "Come take a look at my forumlation, would you, Severus?"

Snape walked over to the desk and stood as close to Lyrica as he could without touching her. He then bent, matching her pose, and studied the forumla. The alchemical symbols, her notes, the recipe all settled into his mind and he could see the potion being made. He tapped an area on the parchment. "A flaw," he said simply. Lyrica handed over her quill and he dipped it into the ink and began changing and fixing the problem. "The scarab carapace is enhanced by clockwise stirs. You need the enhancement to effect the permanence but by adding the carapace after the St. John's Wort you would destroy your lab. It you infuse the carapace, first, with a drop of dragon's blood and do fifteen clockwise stirs separately, you can then add the infused carapace before the St. John's Wort." He made a few more notes and then finished. "I would suggest grinding the St. John's Wort instead of dicing it."

Lyrica glanced sideways at the Potions master, "Grinding, are you certain?" His face was a study in pleasing angles and sharp definition. His skin was pale and tended to look sallow in the flame and candlelight that permeated the castle. A little sun wouldn't hurt him. Lyrica was certain his nose, hooked from having been broken at least once, had been a source of torment as he grew up. It fit his grown up face and gave him character. It was a face that one could easily get lost in; and she seemed to be getting lost now.

Severus was aware of the intense study he was receiving, but continued with his instruction. "St. John's Wort was used as a secondary catalyst in your original formulation. By substituting Avernum with the scarab carapace, a secondary catalyst is no longer required. What you do need is a complement. By grinding the Wort, you reduce it to a complement which will link all the other ingredients together."

Lyrica straightened and gave him an appraising look. It took her a few minutes as she glanced between the parchment and Severus. Then it dawned on her. "You saw all of it in your mind, didn't you?"

Snape made one last notation and then rose to his full height. He was all to aware of how close he stood to Lyrica. Her perfume touched his sentences teasingly. It took all his resolve to not pull her into his arms, to kiss those lips... to frighten her to the point she'd never look at him again. He forced his thoughts back to the potion. It was safe there. "It is a habit that has saved me from a melted cauldron or two."

Lyrica laughed and to his disappointment she moved away from him. "You shouldn't downplay such a talent, Severus. Not even Professor Grailing can see a potion in his mind as you do. I must rely on trial and error, most of the time. Once in awhile, I can see the potion, but I'm afraid my mind is not as disciplined as I would wish."

"Work on your Legilimency and you might be surprised at the discipline you gain." His smirk teased lightly.

"You're looking much better, Severus." Deftly she changed the subject. Lyrica was still somewhat embarrassed by her poorly executed Legilimens spell she'd tried to use on him the night he and the children had arrived. "I see that all the cuts have healed well." Taking up his hands, she examined them critically. He allowed himself a small smile as he examined her small hands in his. Although blemished by her work with potions, he found them to be perfect and beautiful. Her touch was light, but not afraid. Her fingertips smoothed over the backs and the palms of his hands and he could not stop the pleasant shiver that warmed him. His eyes caught the blush that rose to her cheeks. With reluctance, she let his hands slip from hers.

"And how is Madam Aisling?" Asking after the mediwitch he hoped might cool the flames that threatened to rise between them. He wanted to fan those flames, but he would not push himself upon Lyrica.

"She is also healed. A minor bump on the back of the head, but it will be gone soon. She has threatened to put you in restraints should you require her ministrations again."

He smirked, "Tis only fair, I suppose."

Lyrica looked up into his eyes as she still felt the heat of his hands upon hers. As soon as she realized she was holding her breath, she spun back to her desk. "Come, Severus, I have something to show you." Pushing aside the formula she'd been working on, she withdrew an elaborate sketch of a three-story house surrounded by an iron fence. A sketched bird flew over the roof and a breeze caused curtains to flutter in an open, second story window.

"This is Ashmere?" asked Severus. She nodded, smiling at him. Pushing the drawing aside, she withdrew a map that was underneath the drawing. "As you can see, it is only a few miles from Hogsmeade. Down this road is a verdant meadow from which you'll find many ingredients for potions. The pond behind the house is still part of the property. Simple wards are in place to keep out trespassers. I thought it might be simpler to take them down so that you can establish your own. I sent some elves this afternoon to ready the place for you and the children. Dorca, the kitchen elf will see to the meals and Snick will defer to you in all other matters in regards to the running of the house."

"Thank you for the use of your family home, Lyrica. It is frustrating not having access to the Snape family fortune." He scowled. He did not want to mention the loan Lyrica had made to him. It galled him to have to accept such charity, but he had to put aside his pride. He couldn't earn any galleons at the moment, so he kept his tongue in place.

As though she read his mind, Lyrica spoke, "I have an idea, which I hope you'll accept. Professor Grailing has been rather stubborn about brewing potions for our infirmary. I was hoping that you might consider supplying us, and you could be paid from the Hogwarts fund. You might also sell premade basic healing potions to in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley."

Snape considered the thought. It did have its merits and did allow him the dignity of providing properly for his wards. "That would be an equitable solution."

Lyrica laughed. "Couldn't you just say thank you, Severus?"

He bowed his head and gave her a sardonic smile. "Of course, my dear, I thank you."

Lyrica shook her head and moved away from the desk. "We were talking a few days ago about how to go about making you and the children legitimate. The Ministry of Magic has so much red tape, that it overwhelms me. I had to ask Professor Grailing for his advice. What we've been able to determine is that it's impossible to register any of you at the Ministry without causing an investigation."

"It was not unexpected," Snape mused.

"No, I'm sure it wasn't. However, Professor Grailing did come up with a solution that shall work. He has extensive connections that he has already contacted on your behalf." Going over to her robes she withdrew a packet that she handed to him. "In there you'll find open tickets on passage with the Aviador, a wizarding passenger ship that will take you to the Colonies. There the Wizarding registering laws tend to be more open than Britain's. The other paperwork you'll find will establish new identities for you and the children."

Snape examined the contents of the packet in silence for several long minutes. He read over the letters of recommendation and his eyes lit upon a certificate. "He forged a Potions Master certificate?" Snape was genuinely surprised.

Lyrica smiled. "All it needs is your new name. You'll find that the document will hold up and of course you can see that your mentor was Darlyle Grailing himself."

Snape sighed. Looking at all the effort put into giving them new lives was both gratifying and disheartening. It had a finality to it that Snape wasn't comfortable with. "We shall keep trying," he said to himself as he replaced everything in the packet and put it into his pocket.

"Severus," she said softly, placing a hand upon his arm. "You realize that leaving Hogwarts does not mean you're giving up."

"I believe I said as much to Mr. Potter earlier this afternoon." He pushed aside the frustration that rose just thinking of the boy. "After today, I'm beginning to think that finding a way back to our own time is an easier problem to solve than the many moods of a teenager."

She chuckled with understanding. "You will find a way, Severus. It is the skill of a Slytherin to do so." She found her hands in his and she drew them to her cheek. Far too quickly, she let go and made her way to the tea between the two chairs in front of the fireplace. "Will you stay for tea, Severus?"

"I wish that I could stay... for tea." He added the last, awkwardly. Only a slight tinge of rose to her cheeks registered his hesitation and he allowed himself a small smile. "I have one loose tie left to deal with before this day is finished." Thinking of Draco, he had one more question before he left Lyrica's side.

"Lyrica, what is the nature of the Odd Room?"

Her smile died upon her lips as she saw the concern in his eyes. "Has something happened?"

"Possibly," he did not elaborate. "What can you tell me about it."

She stepped away from Severus and told him first about the legend of Corabine the Mad. "It is believed that whatever horror she might have perpetrated in that room opened a rift of some kind. Not long after she was hung, the items that litter its floors and shelves began to arrive. No one has ever been able to determine where they come from, but one mystery of the Odd Room we know of for certain. It causes memories to take on corporeal form."

Snape froze in place. "A memory room!" he whispered in horror. A memory room had been a particular device enjoyed by Voldemort to break those he needed information from. It was clearly a Dark Arts way of getting around the protective discipline of Occlumency. "You allowed those children to wander unwittingly into a memory room?" His voice became as brittle as ice."

"Surely they told you, Severus? They were not harmed." Lyrica wished she had not said the last sentence for that seemed to cause something to glitter dangerously in his eyes.

Snape turned away from her abruptly. He was angry, but the innocence in her eyes told him she truly had not seen a danger. He needed a moment before he destroyed their fragile relationship. Merlin bless her, at least she did not come close to him and only waited for him to speak again.

When he turned back and spoke his voice was still ice, but his desire to shout had eased. "Ma... Lyrica, the fault lies with me, not you. You were not aware that these children have not had an easy childhood. They have had to face living nightmares that would make most men weep in their dreams."

"Sweet Merlin, Severus! Had I but known..." The headmistress was truly horrified and had no idea what to do. She seated herself, her spine ramrod stiff. A position she'd often reverted to when her father was disciplining her. "Severus, please, I am so very sorry. My only intention was to occupy them, to give them an adventure."

Snape closed his eyes for a moment then opened them. The brief moment he'd seen into her memories, he'd seen her in the very position she now took. Her stoic poise tore at his heart. She did not deserve the anger that still threatened. She had no way of knowing the darkness that had touched all of them. He moved to kneel in front of her so that she had to look at him.

"When I was younger, a very dark and twisted wizard used the power of a memory room to torture other wizards. He used it to steal their hopes and dreams and to terrify them with their own fears. He would break them in order to take information he felt he needed. He would also use the horror of a memory room to control those he could not subjugate with the Imperious curse or Veritaserum. A memory room is considered, in my century, a forbidden artifact of the Dark Arts."

"The Odd Room has never been used to hurt anyone, Severus." Her voice shook, like a child in trouble.

"You couldn't have known, Lyrica," he said as he took her hands into his. She tried to pull them away, but Snape would not let her.

"No! I couldn't have!" Lyrica snapped. "I feel I should go mad, Severus! I wish to know so much more about you, but your future terrifies me. Children growing up in the shadow of terror? Nightmares that cause you physical pain? Torture? Is this what you truly desire to return to? I don't understand. I just don't."

"We have a responsibility to try and find a way back home, Lyrica. The children have family that they fear for. For all that I may make snide references to them, these children are clever, intelligent, strong and brave. In their own way, they are the future of what we hold dear. They are your future, too."

"And they are not frightened? They don't wish to run away from it?" She searched his eyes, his face for answers.

"Of course they're frightened. I and my colleagues are there to protect them and to teach them to face what's to come. They're lives are not an easy one, but I... we give them what little happiness we are able."

"Severus, you could have a life free of your nightmares." Her eyes dropped to the arm he'd so recently cradled in pain.

My beautiful Lyrica," he murmured as he drew her fingertips to his lips. "Do you have any idea how much I want what you offer? If I could, I would not hesitate." His head bowed and his shoulders sagged in defeat for a brief moment and then he raised his head as his fingertips touched her cheek. "As long as there is a chance, then I must remain resolute. Should a path be open to us, I will be returning to my time. I have no choice."

Lyrica could feel the break in his voice as he spoke those last words to her. In his eyes she could see his desperate desire to be with her, to rid himself of the nightmares. She brushed a strand of hair from his eye as she placed her hands against his cheeks. Tentatively, she brushed her lips to his. When she pulled away slightly, his eyes were closed. She leaned forward again, her kiss more decided, more sure.

Snape rose to his feet, drawing her up into his arms. He returned the kiss, slipping one hand behind her head. The intesity of his desire made her knees weak and she wrapped her arms tightly about his waist, anchoring herself to him. She wanted to lose herself in this kiss and all that it asked for, but his words remained. Gently she pulled away, breaking the kiss. "You must forgive me, Severus, for I intend to ask Merlin that you stay."

Tucking her head beneath his chin, he sighed. He could see a life with Lyrica. He could hope for such a thing, but it would not dissuade him. He would keep trying until every avenue were closed to him. Regardless of whether it took weeks... or years.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2494