Back in Time by etherian
Summary: Detention turns into disaster as Snape, Hermione, Draco, Harry and Ron are tossed 96 years into their past. Canon up to PoA, AU after. Enemies become friends united in a quest to return home. Harry discovers family in the most unlikely of wizards.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Time Travel
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 91 Completed: Yes Word count: 310291 Read: 277274 Published: 31 Mar 2011 Updated: 31 Mar 2011
Chapter 9 by etherian

Once breakfast was completed, Snape led his small entourage to the library. Two by two they followed at a quick pace behind the long-legged professor. They looked like a brood of black birds obediently trailing behind a large raven. Many students were curious about the visitors, but an announcement from the headmistress, and emphasized by their instructors, warned them all to respect the privacy of the visitors; in essence, to ignore them. Fortunately the library wasn't far from Gryffindor tower so the stares of the curious were minimal.

The librarian, a pinched faced wizard who looked like he spent long hours reading by candlelight, greeted them. Although the man was quite a bit shorter than the Potions Master, he had a sharp, stern demeanor that matched that of Snape's.

"I am Librarian Adelbard," he introduced himself, speaking with a voice that was as pleasant as fingernails on a chalkboard. "Permission has been given to you by the headmistress to receive unrestricted access to the restricted section of our library." His scowl showed his disapproval of the order he'd received from the new headmistress.

"Thank you, Librarian Adelbard." Snape pointedly made no introductions and it seemed the man was not awaiting any.

Adelbard skewered each of the teenagers with a pointed look that caused each of them to draw a little closer to Snape. The man then aimed that penetrating gaze at Snape. "While you are in my library I expect you to have perfect control over your... children. If your research requires access to our Dark Arts restricted books, the children are under no circumstances to go near those books. They are allowed in the second story stack but only if they remain within the white labeled shelves. Anything marked in red, green, yellow or black is to be left where it is."

The librarian paused in his instructions and indicated with a crooked finger they were to follow him. He led them to a gated area and using his wand released the wards that sealed the gate from the rest of the library. The restricted area was dominated by a long, crude wooden table set with five chairs. Sitting on the table were several large, old books. Also on the table were a dozen quills, three inkwells, and a neat stack of parchment. Surrounding the table were three floors of shelves with grillwork screens. Each screen was marked by a simple colored stripe and the books were behind these screens. The second and third floors were accessed by a simple spiral staircase attached to each floor by an iron balcony. The area was cramped and claustrophobic feeling.

"I have selected a number of books on the theory of Time, as requested by the headmistress." Adelbard indicated the books upon the table. He then eyed the teenagers once more. "I expect your elder to have already instructed each of you in the care of such old books. If I find any damage to my books..."

Snape interrupted as he found he was irritated by the man's gall in daring to threaten his charges. "There will be no damage done, Adelbard. You have my word." Snape's fists had gone to his hips and his full height and cold tone of voice were enough the send the librarian scurrying back to his desk without another word.

"Oy professor!" marveled Ron. "If you taught a class in fear and intimidation, we could scare Voldemort to death!" Ron suddenly realized what he'd just said and to whom and he shrank visibly as Snape glared down upon him.

"I shall take your suggestion under advisement, Mr. Weasley," he said smoothly. In the blink of an eye he cuffed Ron in the side of the head and leaned into the boy's shocked face. "Do not give me cause me to remind you again, Mr. Weasley, to keep silent in regards to the future and most particularly we do not mention the name of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named." Snape then rose and cast a warning gaze upon all of them. "That goes for all of you."

Snape had seated himself at the middle of the table and began to work on the books the librarian had put out. He glanced at the titles, chose one that sounded promising and opened the book. The boys didn't hesitate to head up the stairs to the second floor. Heading in three different directions into the depths of the stacks, they each perused the dozens of shelves looking for anything that might aid in their research.

"Professor," Hermione asked softly. He glanced up at the girl. "Would you have any suggestions for books on the Dispercio charm?"

Snape tapped his chin thoughtfully with a long, slim finger. "Go out into the main library, Miss Granger and look for a book titled Complex Defensive Spells by Elspeth Plume. That was a new book for this time and is still considered an authoritative missive on defensive spells. I'd like you to also look for The Art of Wand Gestures by Rowena Ravenclaw. It will be a text you'll want to be familiar with for your fifth year with Professor Flitwick."

"Thank you, sir," Hermione said and then exited the restricted area.

Up on the second floor, Ron quickly found a book and sought out Harry. He soon found him just two shelves away. He showed Harry the book but Harry didn't look at it. He had opened one of the grillwork screens and was staring at a slim book that showed its age in its discolored leather binding.

"What is it, mate?" Ron whispered sensing that something had given Harry a chill. Harry just simply pointed at the book and Ron squinted at the gold embossed lettering. "Love And the Killing Curse...? Harry stretched out his hand for the book just as Ron spotted the color of red on the other, unopened screen. He caught Harry's hand. "We're not supposed to touch these books, Harry."

"Dumbledore told me that I survived that curse because of my mum's love for me, Ron. What if there's something in there that could help me against Voldemort?"

Ron was torn between helping Harry and risking the wrath of both Snape and the little squint of a librarian. Three years as Harry's friend quickly decided for him. Snatching the book off the shelf, he shoved it into his best friend's hands, shut the screen and hissed, "Hide it and then find something else to work on while we're here."

Harry nodded and stuffed the book under his sweater, against his back and slightly in the waistband of his trousers. It wasn't a thick or heavy book, but it felt like it was secure. Just as Harry adjusted his sweater, Draco came around the corner, looking for them.

"I found an interesting book!" He held out the book so they could see it. The title was, How to Catch a Faery: And What Are They Good For Anyway?

"Mine's called A Question of Time," said Ron, holding it out so they could see it.

"What's yours, Potter?" asked Draco.

"Haven't found one, yet," he muttered.

Draco grabbed Ron's elbow. "Well, hurry it up, Potter! Find something and I can show you how to make flying dragons." Draco dragged Ron over to the balcony and they both sat down on the floor so their legs were through the rails and dangling over the balcony.

For a moment Harry watched the two boys, his brows beetled together. When, he thought, had those two become such buddies? He patted the book stashed against his back and then quickly scanned the grillwork screens. He found one marked with a white strip, opened it and found a promising tome that had a very long title that had the word 'time' in it. Slamming shut the screen, he hurried over to Draco and Ron, just as Draco was showing the red-headed boy how to make an origami dragon out of a small piece of parchment. When the dragon was complete, it was no bigger than two inches and it sat on Draco's open palm. He quickly charmed the dragon with his wand and it lifted off from the boy's hand and flew in circles until it dive-bombed Harry.

"Wicked!" Harry whispered as he plopped down beside Draco. "Make another one, Malfoy!"

They had kept their voices down to whispers, but it was the short outbursts of laughter that first got Snape's irate attention. Just as he sent a dark look upward at the three pairs of dangling legs, the dragons vanished and their laughter was silenced. It was a full minute before Snape returned his eyes to the book he was reading. The dragons were immediately back out and there were six of them flying between the three boys. They swooped upward toward the third floor and then came diving downward at whatever target they'd been sent after. One dragon missed its target, Harry, and kept heading downward until it struck Snape right on the crown of his head.

Snape rose to his feet, kept his voice low and snarled, "Get down here at once!" The three boys scrambled up from their perches and noisily tromped down the spiral staircase. Their eyes were wide, obviously expecting to be blown apart. "Give me your wands!" He held out his hand as they each produced their wands. Snatching the wands from their fingers, he put them into the sleeve of his robe and pointed the boys toward the end of the table. "Read your books and use those quills to make notes."

The boys managed at least fifteen minutes of quiet and studious reading and Ron had even made or note or two before their antics began again.

Draco had slouched down in his chair and held his book so just his eyes were peering over the top edge of the book. A quick sidelong glance at Snape and then his head shot up and he made a face at Harry. He ducked back down quickly, his eyes once more crocodilian grey orbs swimming warily above his book. Harry, seated across from Draco, slowly slid down in his chair so that his pose mimicked Draco's. He glanced over at Ron and silently indicated that Ron was to be lookout. Ron affected a more scholarly pose in his chair, picked up his quill and scratched some nonsense on the parchment under his hand. His eyes kept darting back and forth from his book to Snape. When Ron was satisfied that Snape wasn't paying them any attention, he gave Harry a quick nod. Harry's head shot up from behind his book, made a quick face at Draco and then ducked back down.

It was Draco's turn and with a quick look to Ron, he recruited the boy as his lookout as well. Ron eased into another nonchalant pose, wrote down more nonsense with a quill nib that was empty of ink, glanced at Snape, and then gave Draco the go-ahead. Draco's face was neatly twisted with a lopsided leer, crossed eyes and a wrinkled nose. He ducked down behind his book.

Harry was impressed. Draco had cast a very simple glamour charm to make his face. And without a wand! Ron nudged Harry's arm, leaned over and then whispered. "Can you beat that, Harry?"

Harry nodded and whispered back. "Yeah, I know that same charm."

Ron leaned away from Harry just as Snape eyed him suspiciously. Ron feigned innocence and dipped his quill into the inkwell. Forgetting to tap the nib just before moving his quill to the parchment resulted in a large blotch of black ink obscuring the one genuine note he'd taken down. Ron did his best to mop up the spill and took a moment to cast a glance at Snape. Snape's long nose was back in the book he was reading. Ron nodded to Harry and Harry's head snapped up. His glamour charm had thickened his eyebrows and brow bone, twisted his mouth and given him a large bulbous nose. He ducked down back into hiding and Draco let out a loud snort of uncontrolled laughter. That caused a chain reaction and Ron and Harry were both laughing, unconcerned about the deadly look the potions professor was casting their way.

The laughter was too infectious and when Harry glanced at Snape, he only laughed harder. Snape slammed down the book he'd been reading with a look of pure murder on his face. He was about to verbally tear into them when a sharp command came from the quiet one at the end of the table.

"Silencio!" The silence was immediate. Without a glance toward Snape, Hermione calmly put away her wand, picked up her quill and resumed work on her essay.

Professor Severus Snape rarely found himself at a loss for words, but as he stared in astonishment at the bushy-haired girl that was working, very seriously, on her assignment, he could only draw in a deep breath and return to his book. As for the three comedians, they were effectively silenced and the charm had also temporarily deflated their desire to continue with more diverting activities.

A few minutes later an elf popped in just outside the restricted area. It walked in and spoke in a raspy whisper, "Master Snapes, sir, a note from Headmistress." The elf handed Snape a folded and sealed note. He nodded at the elf who quickly stepped out of the restricted section and then vanished.

Snape broke the seal and read the letter:

Master Snape,

I have spoken to Head Boy Dumbledore this morning and have impressed upon him that discretion must be taken in regards to you and the children. He has assured me that he has spoken to no one else about any of you and I am inclined to trust him as you seemed to put much store by his ability to keep a secret.

Headmistress Arcahnum

Snape folded the letter and tucked it into his pocket. He would burn it later.

Draco had read his book for about ten minutes before realizing he had no idea what he'd been reading. He had just been biding his time. Grabbing a some parchment, he tore off a piece, which made no noise since the parchment was within the sphere of silence Hermione had cast. He quickly wrote something, folded the parchment, punched Ron in the shoulder and handed to him. Ron opened the note and read it.

I'm hungry!

Ron quickly penned a reply, folded the note and tossed it at Draco.

I am, too! When do you think we'll get to talk again?

Draco took a second, then wrote a reply. He crumpled the parchment into a ball and threw it so it hit Harry in the forehead. Harry's head snapped up and he glared darkly at Draco. Draco shrugged apologetically and then pointed at the parchment ball that had landed on the floor. Harry bent over to pick it up, uncrumpled the parchment and read what Draco and Ron had written and then the reply to Ron's question.

Potter, tell Snape to let us talk again.

Harry crumpled the parchment and shook his head. Draco fumed silently. Tearing another piece of parchment off the first, he quickly scratched one word and shoved the piece across the table at Harry.

Harry ignored it for a second, then peered up from his book and glanced at the torn piece of paper.

CHICKEN!

Harry snatched for the note but it was suddenly whisked away from him. Harry shrank down in his chair as he felt the presence of something very tall, dark and snarky standing over him.

"Mr. Potter," said the voice that was like silk brushing against bone. "Do you have something to say to me?"

Harry couldn't sink down any further into his chair. He glanced sideways at Snape and shook his head no.

"I thought not. Take this quiet opportunity and apply your mind to the book in front of you before I decide to apply it vigorously to the back of your head."

As soon as Snape glided back to his seat, Harry shot a dangerous look at Draco. Draco just laughed silently until that sepulchral voice slithered over to him with an order.

"Mr. Draco, get reading before I demonstrate the effect of an overused glamour charm upon your face." Draco blanched and his eyes went wide in horror. He then slammed silently into his chair and yanked his book angrily toward himself.

A little more than an hour later, Hermione, who had quite forgotten the now very quiet boys, closed the book she was reading, made one last note on her essay, and stood up from her chair. She surreptitiously stretched her upper back, reminding herself once again she had to watch her habit of slipping into such a hunched over posture.

"Professor Snape?" she asked in a low voice so as to not startle him from the notes he was working on. He put down his quill and looked up at her. "I've finished my essay, sir."

Snape extended his hand for the parchment pages and tucked it beneath the notes he'd been working on. He noted the slight sag to Hermione's shoulders; she was disappointed that he wasn't reading it now. He gave the girl a slight smirk. He wasn't about to admit it to the little lion cub, but he appreciated her single-minded pursuit of knowledge.

The gate to the restricted area squeaked audibly as its hinges protested at the entry of the headmistress. Her robes were more severe today, so dark a blue that in the shadows of the restricted area, they were black. The dress beneath her robes was dark grey velvet with an intricate, black bodice heavily embroidered with black satin thread. Her long hair fell into a single braid down her back.

"I think you've all lost track of time," she said as she ushered in two elves laden down with trays that held sandwiches, fruit, and pumpkin juice. Lyrica held a carafe of fragrant coffee for Snape. She placed it near him, but away from his books and notes.

As the elves put the food upon the table, Lyrica saw the boys bouncing excitedly, but entirely silently at the other end of the table. She glanced quizzically at Snape.

"Ahh! I'd forgotten." Snape reversed the silencing spell. "We had a bit of trouble with noise."

"It's about time!" crowed Ron as he grabbed a couple of sandwiches and tucked in immediately.

"I'm starving!" Draco echoed the sentiment and snatched at a sandwich Harry was going for. Harry veered off for another one and grabbed a large, red apple, too.

Lyrica poured a cup of coffee for Snape and he accepted it with a grateful smile. The smile stunned all four who had their mouths full. Just in time, Snape cast a dark look at them and they went back to eating.

"If you can stop eating for five seconds," he said slowly, "I'd like you to properly introduce yourselves to our benefactor." Full mouths were quickly emptied, a couple with the help of generous swigs of pumpkin juice. Snape's eyes rolled a bit. "I assure you, they usually have better manners than this."

Lyrica smiled and chuckled as she seated herself beside the Potions Master. Hermione, back in her chair, neatly wiped her mouth with a napkin and introduced herself first. "I'm Hermione Granger."

"Ron Weasley!" Ron said through a mouthful of sandwich. "Hi!"

Draco, schooled from the moment of birth in etiquette, rose from his chair, made his way around the table and was soon standing at Lyrica's side. "Draco Malfoy, Professor Arcahnum." He bowed perfectly. "Thank you very much for helping us."

"You're very welcome, Draco." Lyrica inclined her head and smiled at the boy. He suddenly blushed and caught a quick gesture from Snape to sit back down. Ron shook his head.

Draco made haste to obey and Harry smiled at the headmistress. "I'm Harry Potter, Professor."

"I'm very pleased to meet each of you. Don't let me stop you from enjoying the lunch."

The repast was greatly appreciated as the four youngsters nearly wiped out all the food. Snape stuck with the coffee and a couple of slices of orange.

After a few minutes of quiet interrupted only twice by muffled burps, the headmistress spoke. "I understand the importance of this research, Master Snape, but if I'm not mistaken, these children require some fresh air." She caught Ron trying to stifle a yawn.

"With the exception of Miss Granger, the library is more a prison than anything else." At that moment, one of the dragons fluttered down from the second floor balcony. With the palm of his hand, Snape flattened it.

"I wouldn't mind staying here," Hermione added helpfully.

"I think not," Lyrica glanced meaningfully at Snape in case he had intentions of keeping them all there until the sun settled. Of course, that was his intention, but to be honest with himself, he was getting annoyed with most of the company.

"Very well," he agreed. "You can have two hours outside. That includes you, Miss Granger. Remember what I said last night and do not go too far." All four stared at him. "Go on!" he barked.

Harry, Ron, Hermione and Draco jumped up from their chairs, each grabbed a piece of fruit, and raced each other out of the library. Following them was a hissed shout from the librarian to behave themselves.

Severus took a long draught of his coffee and caught the headmistress looking toward him. "You need those two hours as well, Master Snape. Will you walk with me?"

Snape supposed he could use a break as well. Perhaps he could discuss his findings with the comely headmistress.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2494