Harry Potter's Second Chance by etherian
Summary: Voldemort is dead, and so are quite a few others. Harry's back at the Dursleys & depressed. A potion changes everything. Snape adopts Harry. Canon more or less up to the end of GoF, after that AU. The first in the Second Chance series.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Deaging
Takes Place: 4th Year
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Second Chance
Chapters: 19 Completed: Yes Word count: 21469 Read: 145510 Published: 03 Apr 2011 Updated: 03 Apr 2011
Chapter 2 by etherian

One month into the summer, the Ministry and the Daily Prophet declared the rumours of the You-Know-Who's death as being nothing more than rumour. There had been a battle between Death Eaters, Aurors, and members of Dumbledore's rebel group, the Order of the Phoenix, but no body, nor no sign of You-Know-Who had been discovered.

Any thought of Harry Potter was lost to mere mentions deep within the Daily Prophet as the front page practically burned with the greater news of corruption eating away at the Ministry, starting with Cornelius Fudge. Not even the hoped for scandal of a Death Eater teaching at Hogwarts could overshadow the problems with the Ministry. Severus Snape had quite likely escaped incarceration in Azkaban due to the fact so many Death Eaters had been captured and they were more important to deal with.

Another bit of news had to do with the retirement of Albus Dumbledore who had sustained injuries from a curse that would soon disable him and eventually end his life in ten years. Taking his place would be Minerva McGongall who was still recovering from her injuries; a series of Stunning Spells to her abdomen.

Sharing breakfast one morning with the Headmaster, Snape found himself actually disgusted with the casual way the Daily Prophet was dismissing Potter. Snape himself had certainly never been exactly pleasant to the boy, but that hideous Rita Skeeter dared to blame Harry for the disaster at the Riddle Cemetary.

"Potter. He's still with those dubious Muggles, isn't he, Albus?" wondered Snape.

"He is. I had meant to look for a proper wizarding home for him as there is no need for the blood wards, but I just haven't had the time," replied Albus wearily.

"That is a nearly impossible task, Albus. There are too many who would simply use the child for their own status in our world, as well as those erstwhile types out there who would only wind up hurting him." Albus downed the potion that Snape had brewed specifically for the old wizard to aid him with the worst of the symptoms that plagued him.

Snape eyed the old man carefully. "You hoped to take him, didn't you?"

"I had hoped..." he spoke wistfully, "but the Healers tell me I shall be confined to a bed within a year. Harry requires someone younger and someone who has his best interest at heart. Perhaps a parent who might understand what he's been through."

"Arthur and Molly?" asked Snape.

"Arthur and Molly and all their children dearly love Harry, but I am not certain they are quite what he needs." Albus sighed heavily as his fingers drummed pensively upon the table. "The problem eludes me, Severus, and there are so many other things that take precedence." He sighed heavily. "And I am so very tired."

It frightened Snape to see his mentor in this way. For so long, Dumbledore had appeared to him to be immortal. To see him... old... worried him.

"Has anyone looked in on the boy?" Snape wondered why he was being so persistently curious about Harry Potter. He had no particular fondness for the boy. Truth be told, he found the child to be an absolute irritant and the fact the child greatly resembled his father, James Potter, did nothing to help endear the boy to him. Yet, something felt off to him about Potter being so easily pushed aside now that his destiny was fulfilled. Then there was the Headmaster's need to see the boy in a wizarding home where he'd be loved.

Dumbledore was aghast at his own neglect. "I never thought to!" He dropped his head into his wrinkled hands just as a Ministry owl arrived with the day's business. Looking up and snatching the batch of paperwork from the owl, he sent it on its way. "I should have at least written to him!"

"I have nothing to do today except to work on my lesson plans for next term. If it will assuage your mind, I shall look in on Potter."

I have gone mad. Did I just volunteer to check on the Golden Child?

Stunned by his own suggestion, he couldn't help the small blossom of pleasure that welled inside his soul as the Headmaster's eyes twinkled briefly. Snape never thought he'd miss that bloody twinkle, but it had been so long since he'd seen it.

"I would be ever so grateful, Severus. Just make sure he's well and let him know we are thinking of him."

Snape nodded curtly. "I shall go this afternoon. Is there anything I might assist you with until then, Albus?"

As breakfast vanished, the two men bent over Dumbledore's work for the day and Snape aided the old man until he retreated to his bedroom to rest.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2495