Take Two by etherian
Summary: This is the sequel to Harry Potter's Second Chance. You really ought to read that first or you'll be a bit lost. Voldemort is completely dead. Harry is 6 years old after having de-aged himself with an ancient and illegal potion. Albus is dying, but Severus hopes to gain permission to brew the same potion and save the old wizard.

Canon (more or less) up til the end of the fourth book, AU after that. Be aware that Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes was begun after the war, and the twins did not attend their 6th year.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: Second Chance
Chapters: 59 Completed: Yes Word count: 220316 Read: 231923 Published: 03 Apr 2011 Updated: 03 Apr 2011
Story Notes:

Disclaimer:  The world of Harry Potter belongs to JK Rowling.

CP in some chapters, but not graphic, since I am squeamish on that score.

Chapter 1 by etherian
Author's Notes:
Please be sure you've read Harry Potter's Second Chance before reading this.

"Daddy? Why are we leaving Hogwarts?"

"Daddy? Are we having a vacashun?"

"Daddy? Where are we going?"

"Daddy...?"

"Harry! Go sit down and colour in your book!"

Harry gave his father a narrow-eyed gaze, along with a pursed-mouthed pout, and stomped purposely and loudly, out of his father's bedroom. Severus, in the midst of packing and trying to remember a list of important things before he and Harry left Hogwarts for the summer, pinched the bridge of his nose, closed his eyes, and counted to ten. Once he was finished, he added to his mental list, 'check Harry's trunk for hidden chocolate frogs'. Harry was bouncing around like a sugar maniac and Severus suspected that the redheaded reprobate, Ronald Weasley, had been sneaking sweets to the boy.

Severus had rarely gone away from Hogwarts during the summer. What was the point in doing so when you had no one to do anything with, and you were probably going to get sideswiped by a Death Eater's Killing Curse? However, now that Voldemort was truly dead and gone for good, a fact that the new Minister of Magic Arthur Weasley, was doing his best to show as fact, Severus had decided that Harry needed a more pleasant place to run and play than the corridors of the castle.

There would be visits near the end of summer at the Burrow; Harry had become rather attached to Mrs. Weasley during the school days he spent there as his father had to teach. The woman, unfortunately, gave Harry free reign in his behavior, and these days he was a little maniac. Again, the sugary treats someone was sneaking to the child, weren't helping. Severus figured this trip would be part de-tox and part instilling proper manners and behavior into his son.

A letter that had arrived early that morning dropped to the floor from the dresser. Severus bent to pick it up and re-read it.

Dear Professor Snape,

I thank you for the invitation to join you on your summer holidays but it seems I have a prior engagement with one, Miss Hermione Granger and her family. As Mother has already gone to Italy for her beauty rest, I was to be left alone until Miss Granger invited me into the Muggle world to spend time with her family. We will be taking an aeroplane to the Colonies. Oh! Hermione says it should be referred to as the United States. I am looking forward to living two months as a Muggle, but moreso, I am looking forward to spending more time with Miss Granger... HERMIONE... sorry, sir. Next time I won't write a letter with my girlfriend reading over my shoulder. Yes, that is correct, Hermione Granger and I have been dating since Christmas.

Anyway, if it would be all right, I would very much like to visit you and Harry sometime during the last month of summer.

Thank you for everything, sir, and have a good vacation.

Sincerely,
Draco Malfoy

PS. I am NOT the one giving Harry Chocolate Frogs.

Severus gave a little smile at the letter, then folded it and put it in his pocket. He'd need to send a reply this afternoon.

"Aunt Minnie!" Harry's excited voice came from the sitting room. Severus abandoned his packing to go and see what the Headmistress needed.

"Come through, Minerva," invited Severus to the Headmistress' head in the green flames.

Minerva McGonagall stepped through and was enveloped in an enthusiastic hug by the little six year old. "Harry, didn't I just see you at breakfast?" she chided with amusement as she tucked a strand of his shoulder length hair behind his ear.

"Yes, but you always need hugs, Aunt Minnie, and it's my job to give them." Harry smiled brightly and with a sudden dark look at his father, he settled down in front of the hearth with his crayons and a pad of drawing paper.

"I don't mean to interrupt your preparations for the holiday, Severus, but I needed to speak to you about Albus."

Severus motioned his colleague away from the fireplace and over to the dining table where they seated themselves. "He's all right, isn't he?"

"He's doing as well as can be expected, Severus, but I did receive word from his Healer that the damage is progressing faster than they had expected." She saw the cloud of sorrow pass over the younger man's face and patted his hand lightly.

"You're here about the Second Chance Potion, aren't you, Minerva?"

The Headmistress nodded. "I know it's highly illegal and strictly regulated by the Potions Division of the Ministry, but I cannot bear to see that vital man struck down before he's even had a true chance to live. You know he's been fighting the Dark all his life. He deserves some happiness, doesn't he?"

"You know I have no argument against that, Minerva. I'm also well aware that the potion could erase the effects of the curse, allowing Albus to age naturally."

"Then...?" she questioned.

"The problem is that since Harry made the potion, took it, and it de-aged him, bringing together the ingredients is next to impossible. Not to mention that anyone discovered taking it would wind up in Azkaban." He leaned back in his chair. "I want to do what I can to help Albus, but neither do I want to send him to Azkaban. Not to mention that I'd lose my Potions Master's license, and perhaps my livelihood, as well. I must think of Harry."

Minerva slumped sadly. "Then there is nothing to be done."

"On the contrary," Severus smiled so briefly that the Headmistress almost didn't catch it. "I have been speaking to Arthur about a special dispensation for use of the potion. In about a week, Arthur should finally be successful in proving to the Ministry and the Wizengamot that Voldemort is well and truly finished. The work of the Aurors has put seven more Death Eaters in Azkaban and the trials are nearly complete with those captured at Riddle Cemetery. Arthur has managed to get the Wizengamot to accept 'Proof of Death' via pensieved memories from his Death Eaters and Order members. Sixteen memories of that bastard..."

"Daddy..." warned Harry from his colouring. He'd recently had a bout with the soapbar for language he'd picked up from Ron Weasley, so now he was keeping an ear out for his father's language.

"Sorry, Harry," Severus remarked with a smirk. "As I was saying, sixteen memories from Order memories and Aurors that witnessed Voldemort's death ought to be more than proof enough that not only was he back, but he is now gone. Once that is completed, Arthur feels he will have no trouble in putting through the request for the special dispensation for Albus. I began brewing Second Chance two weeks ago."

The smile on Minerva's face was as bright as any smile that Harry possessed. She wiped quickly at a tear, and then clutched Severus' hand in hers. A simple squeeze was all the emotion she'd allow herself to bestow upon the taciturn wizard. "Severus, how wonderful!"

Severus nodded. "I expect, if all goes as planned, and with Arthur Weasley in charge of the Ministry, I see no obstacles. I should be able to administer the potion to Albus before the end of the month."

Minerva rose to her feet, much relieved. She smoothed the skirt of her robes and her Headmistress demeanor fell over her frame like a gentle breeze. "Do keep me informed, won't you, Severus?" He nodded curtly. "Where do you plan to take young Harry on your vacation?"

Harry's head lifted from his colouring as that was one of the many questions he'd wanted answered. Severus eyed his son and smirked slightly.

"Solonus Isle. It's a wizarding resort that is part of the Greek Isles. We'll be bringing Albus with us, since I believe the sun and the ocean air would be better for him right now."

"You never said Albus was coming, daddy!" piped up Harry.

"Would you rather he stay at home, Harry?" Severus teased.

"No!" Amidst a dozen or more of Harry's sudden onslaught of questions, the Headmistress made her farewells and left through the Floo.

"Harry James Potter Snape!" shouted Severus as he lunged menacingly towards the inquisitive little boy.

Harry squealed, perfectly dodged his father's attack and ducked into his room. Severus took a deep breath, shook his head, and then leaned into his son's room. "Make sure you've packed everything you want to take with you, Harry. It will be quite awhile before we return."

"Can Hedwig come, too?"

"Your owl is well on her way, my boy. Hedwig took our arrival notice this morning to confirm our cottage. Now, please, finish your packing and then go clean up your crayons. I'd like to leave our home tidy so the house elfs needn't bother with it."

"Okay!"

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2497