Take Two by etherian
Summary: This is the sequel to Harry Potter's Second Chance. You really ought to read that first or you'll be a bit lost. Voldemort is completely dead. Harry is 6 years old after having de-aged himself with an ancient and illegal potion. Albus is dying, but Severus hopes to gain permission to brew the same potion and save the old wizard.

Canon (more or less) up til the end of the fourth book, AU after that. Be aware that Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes was begun after the war, and the twins did not attend their 6th year.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: Second Chance
Chapters: 59 Completed: Yes Word count: 220316 Read: 231965 Published: 03 Apr 2011 Updated: 03 Apr 2011
Chapter 18 by etherian

Severus checked each of the potion bottles, double checked that they were securely sealed, and then packed them into the small crate. He used straw to keep the bottles from knocking together. At the center of the bottles was a smaller phial. He picked it up, tapped it, and swirled the contents. Deeming it was acceptable, he replaced it and then put the lid on the small crate, shrunk it, and then tucked it into the pocket of his robes.

Leaving his lab, he rapped his knuckles upon his son's bedroom. "Quit preening in the mirror, Harry, or you can't come with me!"

Harry's muffled, indignant reply was shouted back, "I'm peeing! Go away!"

Severus smirked sharply. With a shake of his head he went into the living room where he saw Echo pacing uneasily. Stopping the woman's pacing with a simple touch to her shoulder, he then held out two small phials for her.

She took them and smiled uneasily. "Poison?" Echo joked lamely.

"No, but if you're desperate..." he teased.

"No thank you, Master Snape," she sneered. Then she smiled and looked at the two phials in her hand.

"Calming Potion. Take the first one now." He instructed seriously. Echo did so without preamble. "Don't take the second one until 15 minutes after the deposition. Calming Potion and Veritaserum will knock you out cold if you don't wait for it to wear off."

Echo took a deep breath. "My solicitor is someone from New Orleans. Chauncy Delorme?"

"He's a good wizard, Echo. Mr. Delorme has assisted me a number of times at Albus' behest." He glanced down at her hand twisting nervously in her curls. "I wish either Albus or I could be there, but when they're taking a pensieve deposition it must not be interfered with. That and..." he hesitated.

Echo nodded and finally mustered up a brave smile. "I know. It's very personal stuff and they are trying to protect my privacy." She sighed. "Truth be told, I'd hate for you to see something... well, you know."

"I do know."

"Severus, this is silly, but would you mind... I mean..." she cast her eyes down at the floor suddenly. One would think Echo could not blush with her smooth olive complexion, but she did so with a demure dropping of her gaze that allowed her hair to curtain around her softly. Severus found the affectation endearing.

Tipping her chin up delicately with one, slim finger, he bent slightly towards her and kissed her. For a moment she did not move, but then, with a sigh Echo slipped her arms around his waist, deepening the kiss.

"Does this mean I get to be a big brother, now?"

The two adults parted as though lightning had struck them. Echo tried not to laugh, but as she fell into a nearby chair, she failed. Miserably.

Severus could blush with his pale skin and to his chagrin he did. A nice, dark scowl swept away the blush and he levelled his gaze at his impertinent son.

"No. You do not get to be a big brother now."

Harry scowled right back. "Then stop kissin' Echo because you know that makes babies!"

Echo let out another burst of laughter that earned her dark looks from both father and son. Sobering as much as she could, she scrambled out of the chair and to the front door. "I think I'll be on my way, now." She ran out of the cottage with a snigger fading away.

"What's so funny?" Harry was genuinely bewildered and a bit mad that he seemed to be the butt of a joke.

Severus would have laughed if he himself weren't feeling somewhat mortified and exasperated. He put a note on his mental agenda to question Molly about when the 'facts of life' ought to be discussed with a child.

"Daddy?"

"Oh for Merlin's sake, I will not explain this now, but kisses do not make babies," he sneered in exasperation.

"You sure?" Harry asked dubiously.

"Very." Intensely uncomfortable he waved Harry to his side. "Would you just drop this for now, child? We have several Floos to travel and I'd like to keep our delays to a minimum."

"Okay." Harry went to step beside his father and took his hand tightly in his. Flooing always made him a little dizzy and he tended to fall a bit.

Severus threw the Floo powder into the fireplace and announced their first destination. Just as they stepped into the green flames, Harry asked, "If it's not kissing then how ARE babies made?"

In the Marseilles, France Floo Station, the always graceful Potions Master lost his balance and fell clumsily from the Floo.


"Wipe that inane grin off your face, Poppy. This is not at all funny!" Severus hissed sharply. Harry was sitting near the door to the Hogwarts Infirmary colouring in a colouring book Poppy had given him. "I could have burned us both!"

The medi-witch's eyes crinkled with mirth as she treated a few cuts on Severus' hand and on his cheek.

"You're exaggerating, Severus. The Floo is perfectly safe. Of course, your exit from the Floo was apparently lacking its usual grace."

Severus scowled and snatched the Healing Paste she was using on his hand from her. "You feather-headed women don't seem to understand that this is a serious situation! He's asking about how babies are made!" The last four words had been spat out in a low whisper. "Kissing! Merlin's teeth where did he pick that up?"

"You've been Head of Slytherin for 15 years and you're still squeamish about the 'birds and the bees' chat? At age eleven they want to know the details."

His eyes narrowed into sharp slits and he sneered, "That's why I send my curious Snakes to you, Poppy."

"Well, this time you don't get to do that... Daddy. Harry's asking you and it's up to you to tell him what he wants to know."

He finished applying the paste on the back of his hand and sighed in frustration. "That part I have already figured out, Madame. What I don't know, is what to tell him!" Harry glanced up at his father's raised voice. Severus caught his son's worried look and lowered his voice. "He's six years old, Poppy. What if I say too much and scare him?"

To his astonishment, the medi-witch strode away from him and into her office. Before he could protest the rude retreat, she was back with a thin pamphlet in her hand. She thrust it at him. He glanced down at the pastel-coloured missive and the large letters on the front that read, 'The Birds & The Bees - What to Say to Your Young One'.

"This is a joke, isn't it?" he asked with a scoff.

Poppy's finger tapped the pamphlet. "Read it, Severus, and then answer Harry's questions. At his age, a simple explanation suffices. When he's older, then you can get a little more scientific. For now, simple is best."

Severus shrunk the pamphlet and stuffed it into his pocket. He nodded curtly to Poppy, which seemed to elicit another laugh at his predicament. He scowled and walked over to his son.

Harry closed the colouring book and put the crayons back into the little box they'd come in. He looked warily up at his father. He was still mad. He'd been angry and silent since falling at the Floo station. All that time, Harry felt it was best to just stay close, do as he was told, and not say anything. Trying to ignore his father's anger, though, was only starting to make him feel a little sick to his stomach. As his father shrank the gift of the colouring book down and put it into a pocket, Harry took a deep, fortifying breath.

"Are you mad at me, Daddy?" he asked timidly.

Severus rolled his eyes towards the Infirmary ceiling. He hadn't thought, not once, how his reactions since kissing Echo might have affected his son. With a chuff of short, expelled breath, he was about to answer when Harry began to babble nervously.

"I didn't mean to say you were wrong, cuz you know everything and I didn't mean to make you fall in the station and... and..." He desperately racked his mind for whatever else he might have done wrong.

Severus knelt to one knee, his robes billowing and spreading gracefully outward. "Harry, child, you've done nothing at all wrong today and I am not mad at you." He took in his child's worried expression and brushed his fingers to the little boy's cheek, then cupped it gently. "I'm sure you remember the question you asked me when we left the cottage?" Harry nodded rapidly. "You just caught me by surprise with it. It's not an easy question to answer."

"Should I not've asked?" he asked, his regret clear in his bright, green eyes.

"You have every right to ask, Harry, it's ... well, it's not a subject to discuss here. I promise, when we get home, you may ask whatever you want, and I'll answer. All right?"

Harry's relief was immediate and confirmed as he hugged Severus tightly. His father rose to his feet, held out his hand, and together they left the Infirmary.


Severus had intended to meet with Hagrid first, but his little accident and side trip to the Infirmary had thrown everything off schedule. He supposed that since he was now a father, schedules would be harder, if not impossible to keep. Now, though, he needed to find where the werewolf was in the castle and deliver the Wolfsbane Potion. They were taking a slight shortcut that would allow them to bypass the moving staircases as they made their way from the Infirmary to the office of the Head of Gryffindor House that had once belonged to McGonagall and was now Lupin's.

"So Professor Lupin went to school when you did?" asked Harry.

"He did. He was in Gryffindor and was best friends with your father, James."

"What about my mum? Wasn't she in Gryffindor?" he asked as he was suddenly distracted by a pretty little milk maid waving at him from a painting.

Severus took Harry by the hand and tugged him gently from his diversion. "They were friends, but I don't think they were really best friends." Now that he thought about it, he'd never heard Lupin mention Lily in any of his recollections. It was always stories about James.

"You and mum were, though, weren't you?"

"We were."

"Daddy, how come you didn't marry my mum? Is it cuz you were in different houses and it wasn't allowed or something?"

The innocent question made his heart twinge. He couldn't tell the truth. 'It was more important to me to atone for my sins than make Lily happy... I was a bad man, surrounded by bad people... Lily was better off with James.' But, had she been?

He chose a simple, but vague answer, "It just wasn't meant to be, Harry."


Remus Lupin was a busy man. Minerva McGonagall had been left to run Hogwarts the moment Dumbledore retired. The paperwork, meetings with the new Board of Governors- not one had survived the purge that had hit the Ministry- and the Wizengamot, and backlash from the shake-up didn't rest during the summer. Minerva handled the Board while she and Lupin both dealt with the Ministry. Thankfully, the Wizengamot was one body of wizarding government neither had to deal with.

Arthur Weasley had been a superb pick for new Minister of Magic. Always an unassuming wizard, he did know how to get a job done. It also helped that he had some of the best advisers on hand, including his own son Percy who had been instrumental in gathering evidence on corrupt officials.

Paperwork arrived at Hogwarts on a daily basis and when Remus wasn't working on lesson plans for next term, he was aiding Minerva in tackling the paperwork. He had an armful to replace the morning's armful and was rushing from the Headmistress office to his own when he collided with Severus Snape emerging from a side doorway into the Entrance Hall.

The parchments, letters, papers, and scrolls exploded from his arms. The huge front doors had been opened to allow a bit of breeze into the castle. That breeze caught everything and the endless paperwork was thrown hither and yon all over the Entrance Hall.

"Hello, Severus. Harry." As Remus watched pieces of paper floating downward, he let out a sigh of defeat.

"What the devil is all of this, Lupin?" demanded Severus as he glared about at all the paperwork.

"It's what Minerva and I have been dealing with since the summer began," he said, bending down to pick things up. Harry was already darting about like a Cornish Pixie helping. "I'll be glad when Albus returns. Minerva and I have been going mad with all of this. Thankfully, the Wizengamot is still his to deal with.

Seeing the two preparing to give themselves backaches, Severus waved his wand and all the papers and scrolls gathered themselves neatly. He sent the large pile over to Lupin who stared stupidly at the mess for a minute.

"Thank you, Severus. With the upheaval in the Ministry, and the massive change in the Board of Governors for Hogwarts it's been an absolute, parchmental nightmare."

"Have you been named Deputy?" Severus took a third of the pile of paper, handed it to Harry, took another himself, and then nodded for Lupin to take the remaining third.

With a sigh, Lupin led them to his office. "No. I've volunteered. Minerva tried to appoint me to the position, but the Board and the Ministry balked at that. They've conceded on my holding a job as a teacher, and although they had reservations about me becoming Head of Gryffindor, they refuse to allow me a position as Deputy. It's rather too political a position for a werewolf."

They stepped into the werewolf's office, put down the paperwork, and Remus watched, a sad smile on his face, as Harry wandered around looking at all the books and knicknacks on the shelves. Lupin had gathered objects he'd found on his explorations around the castle: small statues in a variety of stone, boxes and puzzle boxes in different shapes, and small paintings that didn't move.

"He's looking very healthy, Severus," remarked the werewolf. "I always thought he was too skinny."

"His Healer says he's at a normal weight, but he is still quite small. I'm hoping that he'll have a good growth spurt by his tenth birthday. Careful, Harry," he warned as the curious little boy began to pick up a small picture. "Ask first."

"Sorry, Daddy. Mr. Lupin?" he turned to look up at the sandy-haired man. "Is it okay if I touch it?"

"Certainly, Harry. Most everything can be repaired by a repairing spell if it breaks." He squashed the jealous pang that bit at his heart as little Harry called Severus Daddy. He had not taken Harry's de-aging well, and in fact had been roundly abashed by Severus for at first refusing to see Harry.

Severus had gone to #12 Grimmauld Place, the old Black Manor that had been the quarters of the Order of the Phoenix. Sirius Black had left it to his friend in the event of his death. He should have known his decision to contact the werewolf had been an unwise one when he found the man, unkempt and smelling of sour firewhiskey. The house itself was a house elf's worst nightmare.

"You were his father's best friend, Lupin! How dare you now turn your back on him?" shouted Severus only days after the Potions Master had taken the boy from the Dursleys.

Severus' rather quick decision to adopt Harry Potter had stunned most of the Hogwarts staff. He ignored the speculation, rumours, and sometimes vicious remarks. What he'd done, he had chosen to do first for Lily, but then for Harry. He knew he'd been more of a bastard than he should have been to the boy, and the similarities they had in childhoods was uncomfortable. Since he had the wherewithal to give the child a home and a happy life, he was determined to do it.

Remus Lupin was a thorn, though. His impulse had been to just ignore the werewolf's past with the teenage Harry, but then his conscience (that vile thing was growing by leaps and bounds every blasted day!) goaded him into contacting Lupin. He had thought the man might desire a relationship with the child. He was stunned to find a man who was not only grieving for his lover, Tonks, his best friend, Sirius, but the older Harry Potter as well. Lupin had the gall to refer to his son as 'worthless' and declared he wanted nothing to do with the spoiled, selfish brat.

"He is NOT my Harry!" shouted Lupin. The pain in the man's eyes over the loss of his friends was obvious, but it only made Severus angrier. Suddenly the dark-haired wizard struck, like a cobra, slapping the distraught man across the face.

"He is the son of Lily and your best friend, Lupin! Why I ever wasted my time thinking you might be another grown up to enrich his life, I don't know. Madness, I suspect. You, on the other hand, are nothing but a coward." He strode to the Floo. "Do yourself a favor, Lupin and grow the hell up!"

Oddly enough, Severus' harsh words had sunk into Lupin's grief stricken, selfish, and inebriated brain. He'd cleaned up, sobered up, and was surprised when Albus Dumbledore had shown up two weeks later offering him not only the position of Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor, but Head of Gryffindor House.

Lupin's reluctance to see Harry at this point was more out of shame and of nerves. Severus wasn't going to push the wizard. He'd made it clear that should Lupin wish to know Harry, he was not averse to a relationship. Severus certainly had no fondness for the man, and still rather resented Lupin's cowardly behavior, but Harry had a right to know, again, the people that had meant something to him.

Molly Weasley had watched over Harry during the school year, which had helped Severus a great deal. More, she had taught him much about being a parent to his son. Harry's friends, despite a few hitches (mostly a resentful Ron) were back in his life. Ron, once he'd gotten over his selfishness, had not only accepted Harry, but had finally acknowledged that Draco was 'a decent snake'. Hermione had taught Harry his letters for quill penmanship and had begun teaching him to read.

As for Draco...

Harry adored and idolised Draco which had greatly changed the Prince of Slytherin. Draco had lost his father during the final battle and his mother existed as a mere wraith of her former self, spending most of her days watching the flowers grow in the garden of a small, two-story home in Ireland.

Malfoy Manor, deemed a hazard due to numerous traps, dark arts artifacts, and its maze of dungeons had been summarily confiscated and demolished by the Aurors. It had been a hazardous job that hadn't taken any lives, but there had been dozens of injuries.

Draco and his mother existed comfortably on his mother's dowry as the riches of the Malfoy Estate had gone into a Victim Restitution Fund. With a mother who barely functioned without the aid of two loyal house elfs, Draco had to grow up quicker than usual. Such was the way for many children of this war.

Draco had started out merely as Harry's protector, but he had found something not only to like in the little boy, but to love as well. Draco treated the child as he might a little brother. To those that had known the two boys as they went to school together, it was an unlikely friendship. This time, though, Harry had not been influenced by tales out of school about the 'evils' of Slytherin.

Severus wondered if it was their simple relationship that finally started to crumble the walls of rivalry between the Houses at Hogwarts. It had certainly opened the way for what the Potions Master expected would be a long, loving, and intellectually challenging relationship between Draco and Hermione. Right before summer had begun, many of the staff had noted that there were friendships blossoming between all the Houses.

With his attachment to Draco, Harry had not reacted well when he learned the older boy wasn't coming to Greece with them. It was an unfortunate tantrum that Severus had to endure right in the middle of busy King's Cross Station.

"Draco might visit, but he is not coming, Harry."

Harry glared darkly, yanked his hand out of his father's grip and planted himself on the tiled platform.

"Harry, get. up." Hissed Severus. Already they were getting some curious looks from passing wizards and witches.

"If Draco's not comin', then I'm not goin'."

"Harry James Potter-Snape, you have 30 seconds to peel yourself up off that floor before I blister your wretched, spoilt backside." That threat didn't have quite the effect he'd hoped for. Instead of acquiescing, or being stubborn, Harry burst into tears and wrapped his arms around Severus' shins, almost tripping him.

Now Severus was getting looks from bystanders that were silently accusing him of beating the child, who continued to sob piteously.

"Oh for pity's sake!" Severus griped as he bent to pick up the sobbing, soggy, and mucus-y mess of a youngster. Harry wrapped his arms and legs around his father like a human leech, still crying and intermittently blubbering Draco's name. Armed with his best nasty git Potions Professor glare, Severus boarded the train, found their cabin, put up a Silencing Spell, and sat down with his son still firmly attached, but only now sniffling.

"Merlin's blasted beard! Child, whatever is all this ridiculous fuss for? You're supposed to be six years old, you realise."

"Don't care," he muttered, leaning his head against his father's collarbone.

Severus shifted his little leech so both of them would be more comfortable. With his wand he Scourgified the little boy mess from his robes, and the tears. He then took out a handkerchief and wiped away Harry's tears from his face.

He kissed the warm forehead and brushed at the damp strands of hair that fell over the little boy's face. Harry had stuck his thumb in his mouth; a habit that he was very close to breaking. Severus had noticed that the child only did this when his temper became too wound up; another reason for afternoon naps. He nudged the thumb out of Harry's mouth and drew his fingertips soothingly down the boy's face.

"Sleep, little one. You're very tired."

"I want a story," yawned Harry.

Severus smoothly obliged, "Once upon a time, many years ago, there was a beautiful, red-haired princess that had been hidden amongst the world of Muggles. She lived a simple, but happy life, but for her horse-faced step-sister, Tuney, who had a foul temper and hated the pretty princess."

"One day the pretty princess was running away from Tuney and she found her way to an abandoned play park. The princess fell, skinned her knee, and just barely dodged evil Tuney who tried to kick her."

"All of a sudden, a black streak came out of nowhere and knocked Tuney down hard enough that she fell, broke a front tooth, and ran crying all the way home to her mummy. The black streak, was a brave little boy who couldn't stop himself from helping the lovely, green-eyed princess."

"Tha's my mum an' my Daddy," smiled Harry sleepily.

Severus told no more of the story. The rocking of the train swiftly put the child to sleep. With the nap, the rest of the trip to Greece had been much easier.

Severus did not realise how lost he'd been in his scattered memories. He put it down to the heat of summer and returned his attention to Lupin. The man had a wistful, slightly bitter expression upon his face as he stared at Harry who was seated in front of a low shelf cluttered with a dozen knick knacks. He wondered if the man was going to get teary-eyed. He hoped not.

"He's not glass, Lupin," Severus spoke quietly.

"What?" Remus looked away from the little boy.

"Stop looking at him as though he's something intangible, Lupin. I've never once forbidden you contact with him." His glare was dark, filled with a warning about choosing his words wisely. Lupin swallowed.

"That's something I don't understand," Lupin replied. "You hated James. James certainly had no regard for you."

"I've come to the conclusion that none of that matters now." Severus shrugged. "Someday he's going to want to know about his father. Do you think I'm the one to tell him?" asked Severus as he sat down in a chair near Lupin's desk. "I will not varnish the truth about James Potter, but even I admit the man was better than the teenager. He was a good father. Harry will want to know those stories I cannot tell."

"And you think I should?" asked Lupin, a slight curl of amusement at the corner of his mouth.

"There doesn't appear to be anyone else to do so." Severus shifted as he found the amiability of this conversation, not uncomfortable, but strange. "Even though he does not remember you, Lupin, it's important for him to have the people that meant something to him around."

Lupin's eyebrows rose at this oddly compassionate statement coming from a wizard who'd never had anything but veiled insults on the tip of his tongue for him. The little boy had somehow mellowed the heart of this hard man.

"His birthday is soon, isn't it?"

"It is," confirmed Severus. "It will be a horribly busy affair rife with Weasleys, a Slytherin and one Know-it-all. You're welcome to join the maelstrom, should you wish. As I'm told, the more the merrier."

"Thank you, Severus." Lupin managed a small smile and then looked over at Harry who was now on his stomach on the floor playing with an alabaster figure of a wolf.

"A wolf, Lupin?" Severus sneered wryly as he looked at the figure.

Remus shrugged. "Just one of the many things I found."

"You're a scavenger, Lupin." For a moment Lupin's amber eyes narrowed, but he caught the teasing glimmer in the other wizard's dark eyes, and his jaw nearly dropped. Is Severus Snape actually teasing me? Will wonders never cease?

Severus changed the subject as he took a tiny box from his pocket. He unshrunk it and placed the box on Lupin's desk. "Four months worth of Wolfsbane Potion."

"Any changes in the formula?" he asked picking up one of the slim bottles that held a silver-green coloured potion.

"You should have some relief from pain during the transition itself. Only a little, mind you. I couldn't use an anaesthetic as that tended to neutralise the Aconite. The substitution of Valerian root may work. Let me know what you're able to observe." Severus leaned forward and took a small, tear shaped phial from within the box. The potion within it was clear, but had a pearly sheen to it. "This is a tincture to put into tea or coffee when the first symptoms prior to the full moon show up. It will help to alleviate the fatigue and joint pain."

"That would give me less days to take off each month. That would be a blessing!" He grinned, taking the phial from Severus.

"As usual, keep a thorough record of any side effects. At the most, I'm expecting you to experience a touch of euphoria, but only with the first dose. If the tincture truly helps, then I'll submit it for license and distribution to other werewolves."

"How close do you think you might be to a cure, Severus?"

"Ten years, I expect, but the problem is the cost of ingredients. My grant from the Ministry has been suspended since the upheaval. I have serious doubt it will be renewed." His frustration was evident. "The potion, as is, is sufficient to render the werewolf population safe. The Ministry isn't all that in a hurry to fund a cure."

Lupin drummed his fingers on his desk surface before smiling. "If you're willing, I believe I have a solution."

"Whatever could you do, Lupin, beyond weathering my experiments?"

"As you well know, I've inherited the Black estate. I have an embarrassment of riches, to be blunt. Would you accept a private investor in funding further research?"

Severus straightened. "I would not say no, Lupin. However, if you are to invest in my research, you must concede that I am the Potions Master and not you. I do not accept interference."

Lupin smiled and raised his hands. "I have no wish to interfere, Severus. Why don't we meet at Gringotts to arrange the investment and disbursement of funds next week?"

"That would be acceptable. Now, since I'm here, is there any assistance I can give with this paperwork?"

"I'll take that help, but it looks like Harry needs a bed." Lupin pointed towards the figure by the bookshelf who had curled up with the wolf figurine and was sleeping on the floor.


The rest of the afternoon was spent sorting through all the daily paperwork, including some from the past week Remus had not been able to tend to, yet.

Harry had taken a nap for an hour, never once letting go of the wolf figurine. When he woke he was sent to spend time with Hagrid. Harry wasn't too enthused, at first, being all alone with the half-giant but both Lupin and his father emphasized that Hagrid was a gentle half-giant and he'd have a good time.

As it was, Harry did have a fine time. He and Fang played chase for awhile, then Hagrid served sweet tea and rock cakes which, inedible, were a lot of fun to chew on.

Hagrid then took Harry into the Forbidden Forest to help him feed the Thestrals. It made for an awkward moment when the little boy realised he could see the skeletal animals.

"I thought you said only someone who's seen death can see 'em, Hagrid," he asked. They were magnificent, though slightly scary. They had gentle natures, though, and felt like velvet when one allowed him to pet it.

Hagrid fumbled for an answer. "I 'spect it's yer mum's death that makes it possible, 'Arry. Sorry 'bout that."

"Daddy says that mum sacrificed herself to save me," he said matter-of-factly as he petted one male Thestral. The animal nudged his shoulder playfully.

"Yer mum loved ye a lot, 'Arry. She was a fine witch."

"Do you remember much about my mum, Hagrid?"

"Shore I do, 'Arry. I was only a groundskeeper when she went to school here, but she was a good lass. Smart girl, kind, too. I think she cared a lot about yer da', too."

"You mean my father, James?" Harry asked.

"Well, yeah, James fer certain, since she married 'im, but 'er first five years 'ere at Hogwarts she and little Sev were nigh on insep'rable."

"Why only five years?"

Hagrid frowned. "Yer askin' a lot of questions, 'Arry. I 'spect yer da's gonna have to answer some of yer questions."

Harry shrugged. "Okay." Usually he was content to leave things he didn't understand alone, but the subject of why his mum and his father were friends for only five years was too much of a mystery to forget. Had it been a few months ago when he learned this, he would have needled Hagrid for more information. With Severus Snape as his father, though, he was learning it was better to bide his time and wait for the right opportunity to ask his questions.

After feeding the Thestrals, Hagrid took Harry to his pumpkin patch where they weeded it and de-gnomed it. Harry, already an expert de-gnomer from his practice at the Burrow, dove into the activity enthusiastically. Hagrid laughed every time the little boy whooped and yelled like a cowboy as he let each magical pest go flying.

"Wee haaaa!" Harry threw another gnome and laughed delightedly, clapping his hands together.

Another sound of clapping joined Harry's and he spun round. "Daddy!" Harry ran across the pumpkin patch, and although he was smudged with dirt nearly everywhere his father caught him up, swung him once, and then pulled him close.

"You've been busy, Harry," Severus said as he rubbed his thumb over a smudge of dirt on the little boy's nose.

"Fang and me played chase and catch, then we had tea which was really sweet cuz it had honey in it, and I chewed on a rock cake and it felt like all my teeth broke, but they're all still there and then we fed the Thestrals... I can see them cuz of mum... then we weeded and since I'm great at de-gnoming I did that... an' Hagrid says he bets Hector's magic cuz I've got a Hector hora. And that's all!"

Severus pursed his lips tightly, but his eyes were smiling. "Methinks one little boy had a bit too much sweet tea."

"Yeah!" crowed Harry.

"All right, that's enough." Severus gently pinched Harry's lips shut. "Please don't yell in my face again." He let go of his son's lips.

Harry's smile drooped in the face of his father's stern look. "Sorry, Daddy."

Severus kissed Harry's cheek. "What is a Hector Hora?"

His son was quick to reply, "Hagrid says it's a coloured light, like a rainbow colour, that's all around me. Hagrid can see... uhm... what can you see, Hagrid?"

"Ahm sensitive to Familiar Magic," he said looking somewhat bashfully at Severus. The large wizard then shrugged. "S'whot I do, Perfessor."

Severus found this new side of Hagrid intriguing. "So it's an aura?" Hagrid nodded. "And you can see it. What does Harry's look like?"

"'Arry's got two Familiar auras, Perfessor. There's white, which is 'Edwig, and his dog 'Ector is Blue."

Severus nodded to the Care of Magical Creatures professor. "I understand now why you've always had an affinity for animals, Hagrid."

The half-giant chuckled. "Yeh, never outgrew that. Da' always called me a big kid."

"Thank you for watching Harry, Hagrid." He put the child down. "It's time for us to get back home."

"'E's a good boy, Perfessor," remarked Hagrid patting the boy's head a bit too heavily.

Harry blinked and then smiled. "Thanks, Hagrid. I had lotsa fun!"

"Yer welcome, 'Arry. 'Ope ta see ye soon."

Harry waved happily to the half-giant and then took his father's hand. "He's not scary at all, Daddy."

"I believe I tried to tell you so earlier, stubborn child," smirked Severus.

Remus was walking towards Hagrid's hut just as Severus and Harry were leaving. He bid them farewell and then closed the distance between himself and Hagrid. Both wizards watched as Harry and his father reached the gates of Hogwarts and then vanished.

"Perhaps it's the long hair, and that he doesn't need glasses anymore, but Harry looks different somehow."

"Aye, noticed that too, Perfessor. May be 'e's just the 'ealthy, 'appy boy 'e shoulda always been."

Remus frowned. "Maybe so, Hagrid."

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2497