Take Two by etherian
Summary: This is the sequel to Harry Potter's Second Chance. You really ought to read that first or you'll be a bit lost. Voldemort is completely dead. Harry is 6 years old after having de-aged himself with an ancient and illegal potion. Albus is dying, but Severus hopes to gain permission to brew the same potion and save the old wizard.

Canon (more or less) up til the end of the fourth book, AU after that. Be aware that Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes was begun after the war, and the twins did not attend their 6th year.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: Second Chance
Chapters: 59 Completed: Yes Word count: 220316 Read: 231974 Published: 03 Apr 2011 Updated: 03 Apr 2011
Chapter 2 by etherian

Solonus was one of several wizarding only islands scattered amongst the nearly 6,000 isles that made up the Greek Isles. Solonus was famous, amongst the wizarding community, for being the home of a certain magical flower that bore the name Melancton, that was black from its petals down to its roots. Prized by Potions Masters, it comprised the base of many of the healing potions that aided in nerve damage and nerve disorders. Severus hoped to find some of these flowers to preserve for his private research.

It was a beautiful little island with a small village at its center, a popular Market held on Sundays, and gorgeous, white sand beaches. Comfortably hilly, the buildings all sparkled in the sun as they were white washed stone, brick, and adobe.

Severus had rented a cottage a stone's throw from the south side beach, but well lit during the day by the sun. There were two ways to reach the cottage, either by a long walk from the village down a twisty path, or via boat from the main Solonus dock. Since Albus couldn't do the walk, as soon as they arrived in the village, they went down to the busy dock and hired a boat to take them around the island to their cottage.

Harry loved the boat ride for about five minutes and then he got seasick and spent the rest of the time in his father's arms hoping the ride would end very soon.

The cottage was a single story cottage with four large bedrooms. There were no steps for Dumbledore to contend with, making it easy for the elder wizard to get around. There was also a shaded patio with chairs for him to sit in so he could look out at the ocean. There was plenty of yard for Harry to play in and after Severus had put up the wards, Harry was also permitted to fly his Junior Firebolt. The beach was wide and relatively quiet, though there were other wizarding families to see that vacationed nearby as well.

Severus intended to work on the Second Chance Potion and had converted the extra room into a small lab. It was heavily warded to keep Harry out since the last thing he needed was for Harry to de-age himself further. The other three bedrooms were for Albus, Severus, and Harry.

The cottage itself was a white-washed, stone built building with flowers of all colours growing in hanging boxes on its window sills. It was fenced in by a short, picket fence, and more flowers lined a pebbled walk that led to the front door, and lined the fence itself. A very large, twisty, ancient olive tree whose wide sweep of branches shaded almost the entire cottage dominated the front yard.

Inside the cottage, the decor was simple; wood panelling, for the most part, and white-washed walls. The living room was the largest room containing a sofa, several large, comfortable chairs, a gaming table, a wide fireplace that took up one wall, and various paintings that did not move. Severus had specifically requested that there be no moving portraits. He knew how the subjects in the paintings at Hogwarts gossiped, and didn't need to deal with any painted subject that might talk about his brewing, or his family.

There was also a good sized kitchen and a glassed in dining room that sparkled with the morning sunshine and had a beautiful view of the ocean. There was a niche with a desk and a small bookcase that would serve Harry as his study area, and Severus had added on an extra, smaller room, to house the books he and Albus had brought. Even though they'd brought quite a few, the Potions Master anticipated having to make a trip, at least once, to Hogwarts and to his personal library, for research purposes.

The cottage had the isolation Severus desired, yet was close by any amenities that were needed to entertain a little boy who might get easily bored.

Their first night in the cottage, Severus brewed while Harry practiced his reading skills as he read to a patient, listening Albus. The old wizard and Harry were seated on the cushiony sofa with Albus in one corner and his feet propped up on an ottoman. Harry was nestled against Albus' side, with the older man's arm lazily draped over his shoulder. Harry was reading from a Muggle fairy tale book. While Harry read, mostly smoothly, about the horrible Baba Yaga in her chicken footed hut, Albus carded his slim, wrinkled fingers through the child's hair. Before long, both were snoozing quietly in front of the fireplace.

Severus emerged from his little lab towards ten o'clock to indulge in some tea. Before he had his tea, though, he put his son to bed, and settled Albus more comfortably on the sofa, with his feet up and a quilt over him. Briefly he gazed down upon the sleeping old man. Any worries he held for Albus, were somewhat eased by the small smile of contentment on the man's wrinkled face.

"You will get your second chance, Albus. I promise," he whispered.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2497