Take Two by etherian
Summary: This is the sequel to Harry Potter's Second Chance. You really ought to read that first or you'll be a bit lost. Voldemort is completely dead. Harry is 6 years old after having de-aged himself with an ancient and illegal potion. Albus is dying, but Severus hopes to gain permission to brew the same potion and save the old wizard.

Canon (more or less) up til the end of the fourth book, AU after that. Be aware that Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes was begun after the war, and the twins did not attend their 6th year.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: Second Chance
Chapters: 59 Completed: Yes Word count: 220316 Read: 231941 Published: 03 Apr 2011 Updated: 03 Apr 2011
Chapter 25 by etherian

"DADDY! Wake up! Wake up!"

Molly held onto Harry while Albus drew Severus from the dream. Finally awake, the Potions Master took in great gulps of air. The younger wizard grasped Albus' forearms tightly, trying to anchor himself to reality.

"It's gone!" he gasped hoarsely.

Albus drew carefully away and tipped the younger man's chin up so he could look into his eyes. "What is gone, my boy?"

"That's gone!" exclaimed Fred. He pointed at the tattered ruin of Severus' coat and shirt sleeves.

"Merciful Cybele!" gasped Molly. "How did that happen?"

"Severus, the Dark Mark's gone!" gasped Lupin.

Severus was staring down at his forearm. There was nothing but his smooth skin with a light dusting of black hair. He ran his other hand over the clean skin. "Albus, it's completely gone." He touched his hand briefly to his heart. "Completely."

Albus smiled, his eyes on twinkle overtime. He knew what Severus meant. Just as Lily had taken the mark of evil from her son's forehead and soul, she had done the same for Severus.

Harry pulled away from Molly and gripped his father's hand. "Are you okay, Daddy?"

Severus picked up his son and hugged him. "I'm perfectly all right, my son. A great weight has been lifted from my shoulders."

"Gred," George intoned sotto voce, "he's smiling."

"Back away slowly, Forge. We don't want to be caught..."

"...in any combustible fallout," finished George.

"You two!" With Harry anchored to his hip by one arm, Severus snapped suddenly and pointed a long finger at the twins. They were both so startled they fell backwards into Draco and Hermione. With a stern scowl, he snarled, "Fireworks."

"P-P-Professor?" squeaked Fred.

"Fireworks," he said in his silkiest, most menacing classroom voice. "You do have them, don't you?" He put down his son and was now looming over the fallen twins.

"Y-y-yes, sir," stuttered George. "We take it..."

"... you want some?" finished Fred.

Severus' was done looming and his posture was more relaxed. "Not some. A lot. My son's birthday is going to go out with a bang. 50 galleons if you can get everything ready by nightfall at 8 o'clock."

The twins finally scrambled to their feet. Grins were turning their cheeks rosy red. "If we can use..." began Fred.

"...your Floo, Professor," finished George.

"We'll be back..." said Fred.

"...in a jiffy!"

"Feel free!" Severus turned and took Harry's hand in his. "Harry, my boy, we need more cake."

"Yeah!"


Severus sat on the beach near Molly and Arthur as he watched his son in quiet contentment. Harry crowed, shouted, danced about, and clapped his hands as the fireworks coloured the sky over the ocean and filled the air with whistles and explosions. He was no longer scaring Harry's guests with his unexpected smile of joy- he had considered Obliviating everyone, but Minerva talked (scolded) him out of it. He was feeling very peaceful, though.

"Sickle for your thoughts?"

Severus stretched a hand up towards Echo and tugged her down to sit beside him. He surprised himself with the ease in which he draped his arm across her lower back, his hand resting easily upon her waist. Echo leaned into his side.

"Only a sickle, you say," he smirked.

"I think I might have some pocket lint to sweeten the deal."

He chuckled very softly and she felt the gentle thrum of it. "I'll decline the pocket lint, thank you."

Echo held up a silver sickle that glinted red, blue, and gold in the fireworks light. "One sickle, one thought then."

Severus took the sickle. He opened his mouth as if to say something, but then he closed it as a wicked gleam touched his eyes. He handed the sickle back to Echo and she frowned at him with a puzzled smile. "You'll have to guess," he smirked.

"Ah, so that's how it is then. I'm guessing..." dropping the coin, Echo took his face in her hands and kissed him briefly. "If that wasn't what you were thinking..."

Whatever else she was planning on saying, Severus stopped her by slipping his hand beneath her hair, cupping the base of her skull, and kissing her soundly.

No one saw the witch and wizard (or if they did, they pretended they didn't), since it was dark, except for the beautiful fireworks, but one little boy turned at just the right moment and saw his father kissing Echo... a lot! Harry smiled happily and began skipping across the sand.

It looked to him like his father was getting him a mother, which meant he'd be a big brother very soon.


Severus woke his son at the Merlin-absurd hour of seven in the morning the next day. Harry tried to burrow deeper under his covers, but his father wouldn't let him. When the boy tried to bury himself a third time, Severus smacked his backside sharply.

"OW!" Harry threw off the covers and glared darkly.

"That didn't hurt at all. You had at least twenty layers of blankets between my hand and your posterior."

"Doesn't matter," he pouted. "It hurts on... on princibull."

"Principle." Severus nudged his son aside and held out a package to his son wrapped in silver paper with a purple ribbon around it.

"Another present?" Harry asked taking the gift.

"Another? What do you mean?" inquired Severus, genuinely puzzled.

"The fireworks. I thought that was my birthday present from you."

Severus eyebrow raised slightly. "In a way, I suppose it was. However, that was a bit of a last minute inspiration. This is what I meant to give you. I hope you like it."

Harry quickly opened his gift and found that his father had given him a large, soft cover journal. Upon the front of it, in gilt letters, was written: Potions Journal of Harry Snape. The soft covers were firm, but smooth feeling leather. Inside, the thin, parchment pages were set up to record brewing projects and to take notes.

"This is just like yours, Daddy," whispered Harry as his fingers trailed lightly over the fine paper.

"It is. It's all set up for you to take notes since you're always scribbling on pieces of paper and losing them. It's charmed so you can password protect it and it is also resistant to most caustic substances, fire, and water."

"Is it okay if you know the password?" Harry asked as he ran his fingers over the beautiful pages.

"If that is what you wish. It has one more secret." Harry's eyes widened. As he was so fond of telling his father, he loved secrets. "Run your index finger down the spine until you reach the bottom. Then, tap it twice."

Harry did so, carefully, and let out a little whoop of surprise as a quill pen with a silver nib fell into his hand. "Wicked!"

"That's a Never-Ink Quill so don't lose it," cautioned Severus.

"I won't. Thanks, Daddy!"

Severus then held out the letter from Lily. Harry immediately put down the journal and stared at the letter. "You said that was from my mum. Can I read it?" he asked.

"Some of the letter is highly personal, so no, you cannot. I will save it until you're much older. Then I'll let you read it." Severus took a deep breath.

"Oh... all right, I guess. But, are you going to tell me what it says?"

"I will, but I need to tell you more about your mother and I and our friendship." Severus shifted slightly, then began by telling Harry how he met Lily Evans as she was running away from her older sister, Petunia.

"Lily was smaller than Petunia and really didn't fight back well. A burst of accidental magic threw Petunia away from Lily. As I'm sure you can imagine, Petunia wasn't very happy about that."

"Aunt Petunia was really mad, wasn't she?"

"Very. Petunia was just about to lay into her little sister with her fists and feet when I came along."

"Did you smash bad old Petunia?" asked Harry hopefully.

Severus frowned, but then he shrugged, "Well, just a little bit. I tackled her. Petunia was taller than me, but she was also a skinny thing and I was fast. Wisely, she ran away."

Harry giggled and then settled in as his father continued his story about how he told Lily she was a witch and very special.

"We quickly became more than friends. We loved each other from the moment we first set eyes upon each other. When we were ten years old, we decided that one day, when we were older, we would marry each other and have... hm... I think it was ten children that your mother wanted."

Harry laughed. "Ten?"

"Yes, well, it seemed a reasonable number at the time." Severus glared lightly at his son. "You're enough for ten children, sometimes."

Harry smirked, "I work at it."

"So you do. Anyway, our promise to wed each other was a promise we kept until our fifth year at Hogwarts."

"What happened?" asked Harry who was now very attentive to his father's story.

"I was humiliated by a student in Lily's House of Gryffindor in public. I was angry and embarrassed and when she tried to come to my defense, I called her the worst thing anyone could call someone else."

Harry's jaw dropped. He knew what name his father meant. He'd heard it a few times from some of the kids at school and Ron had explained what it meant. "Mudblood? You called my mum a... a...?"

"Shhh, don't wake Echo," admonished Severus as his son's voice rose indignantly.

"That's worse than swearing, Daddy," Harry hissed. "Why did you do that?"

"There really is no good excuse for it, but try to understand that the times we lived in and the House I was in at Hogwarts, I was surrounded by prejudice. It slipped out and it was a terrible thing for me to say. Our friendship very nearly ended that day, but I am a stubborn man." He smiled grimly. "It took nearly the rest of that school year for your mother to accept my apology and forgive me. However, when we repaired our friendship, it was a very bad time for Muggle-born witches and wizards. The associates I had would not have thought twice about hurting Lily and so we felt it best to keep our renewed friendship a secret. Not even your grandfather, who had an uncanny sense that seemed to allow him to know everything, knew of it."

"But my mum married my Dad. Didn't you still want to marry her?"

Severus sighed. It still hurt to think upon his past and this was the first time he'd spoken so openly of those days. "Very much so. Unfortunately it was not possible. I had become a spy for the Order of the Phoenix by then and no one but a few select people were allowed to know of my position. Lily needed someone to be with, though, since those were very difficult years. She cared for James, but truthfully, she did not love him as she loved me."

Harry scowled darkly at this information, but then puzzlement clouded his features. This was one of those annoying, confusing, grown up things that tended to give him a headache. He scowled again. "I don't see why she didn't wait for you."

"She couldn't." Severus had to be as simple and as diplomatic as possible at this point in his explanation. "Lily needed someone else to care for her, and James, who was sincerely devoted to her, was a good man and intended to do his best in taking care of her. You see, Harry, your mother was pregnant before she married James."

"You mean I have a brother or sister?" His confusion was plain as he struggled to understand what his father was saying.

"No, you do not. Lily was pregnant with you." Harry's expression gave him no clue as to what his son was thinking. He paused for almost a minute before stating delicately, "James Potter is not your real father."

Harry pinched the bridge of his nose, closed his eyes briefly, and did his best to make sense of this. "Are you sure? Did my da... my Jame... uhm... did he know I wasn't his?"

Severus shook his head. "James didn't know. As far as he knew, you were his and he loved you as much as your mother did. In his heart, James was your father. I am certain, that even if your mother had chosen to tell James you were not his true child, he still would have loved you."

That was something he never thought he'd say about James Potter, but the man was not the boy he had been. There were a few times, very briefly, that he'd seen James, Lily, and Harry together and he knew that what he'd told his son was the absolute truth.

Harry smiled in relief. He couldn't remember James Potter, other than what his aunt had told him. It hadn't been flattering. He'd learned a little more from his father, a bit from Remus Lupin, and even a story or two that Hermione had been told. Even if the man hadn't been his real father, he wanted to think well of him since James had tried to keep he and his mother safe.

But now... there was a bigger question looming in his mind and he was a little afraid to ask it. What if his real father were also dead? Or what if his real father was some really bad person that had actually hurt his mother and she had to run to James for safety? He was going to be brave, though, and ask.

Severus watched as the question in his son's mind took shape. He had very lightly touched Harry's mind with Legilimens.

Taking a deep breath and clasping his hands tightly together, Harry asked, "Who is my real father?"

The part of Severus that still worried that Harry might one day learn of their hostile past was afraid to answer that question. Wouldn't Harry want to know all the reasons why he hadn't been a father to him? What would he say if Harry asked him why he'd been left with the Dursleys when Severus had known Petunia was such a disagreeable woman?

Will he hate me?

Hesitating for only a moment, he answered firmly, "I am."

Harry picked up on his father's hesitation. What felt like a hundred questions and emotions overran his thoughts, but he did a very good job of stomping them down into obedience. His dark green eyes dropped to the letter that his father was now crushing in his right hand.

Harry pointed at the letter. "Mum told you in that letter about me?"

Severus unclenched his fist and smoothed out the letter. "She did. I never knew."

A stricken look came to Harry's face and Severus' heart felt as though it were about to plunge off a cliff. Was his son disappointed in the truth? His fear was immediately allayed as his son asked, "I know you said it's private, but isn't there some bit you can read to me? I want to hear my mum's words. Please, Daddy?"

Severus studied the letter and found a portion he could read. "I think so. Just a moment." Again he smoothed out the pages. He read, tenderly, one paragraph, slightly edited, "Oh Severus! He is so beautiful! I have charmed a portrait of Harry as he truly looks into the paper. Just touch your wand to the back of this parchment and say his name. I have never seen a baby more perfect. You'd be happy knowing that he has my nose with a touch of the dignified arch of yours. He is round, and soft, but he will look as striking as his father someday."

His father's silken voice wrapped around each word, but Harry tried very hard to imagine his mother's voice as he had heard it in his nightmare when she saved him from the phantom Death Eaters. He fancied he could hear her voice saying the words along with his father.

"Would you like to see your picture?" asked Severus, a tentative smile ghosting at one corner of his mouth.

"Yes, please!" Harry scooted closer to his father and watched as he tapped the back of the first page with his wand and spoke Harry's name. The parchment shimmered and there he was, the newborn son of Lily Evans and Severus Snape.

Harry watched the loop of his movements in the photograph. He smiled and touched a finger to his own tiny hand that stretched towards him. Harry then looked up at his father and smiled.

"I told you we look alike." Harry touched the slight bump of his nose that his mother had referred to as a 'dignified arch'.

Severus was tempted to draw his son into his embrace, but he held back a moment. "Are you all right with this, Harry? Do you have any questions?"

Harry tapped his lower lip thoughtfully. "Well... it doesn't change anything, really. I mean, you became my Daddy when we signed the 'doption paper and mum's letter just says you always were my Daddy. I like that you and mum really loved each other and decided to have me, but I'm sad you couldn't have married each other." He sighed heavily, staring at the now folded letter in his father's hand. "Is it... can I still ask Remus for stories about James? Is that okay? Would you mind?"

"No I don't mind at all, Harry. Your mother said in her letter that James loved you dearly and was a good father to you. I believe you have the right to satisfy your curiosity about him."

"Will you tell me someday why you don't like him?" Harry asked anxiously. He had sensed his father's tenseness everytime James Potter's name was mentioned in polite conversation.

"When you're older I'll tell you more. For now, just know that as boys, James and I really did not like each other. However, children grow and they do change. As an adult, and I will admit this only to you, that James was tolerable."

Harry slid out from under his covers, rose up on his knees and put his arms around Severus' neck. "I love you, Daddy," he whispered into his father's ear. "I'm glad I'm really yours."

"I'm pleased to be yours, too, Harry. I love you." He kissed his son's smooth black hair and inwardly whispered his thanks to Lily for such a perfect gift.


"Daddy?" Harry was eating soup for lunch while his father nursed a cup of coffee. Echo was eating a sandwich. "Do you have any books on bussilisicks?"

Severus looked up from his Potions Weekly magazine, feeling as though someone had thrown cold water over his head. "A what?"

"Bussilisicks? Buhsiliks? I don't know how it's spelled, but I just wanted to know more about them."

Severus slowly put down his magazine, took a fortifying sip of his coffee, and sent a mental curse towards the latter two thirds of the 'Golden Trio'.

"It is ba-sil-isk." He pronounced slowly and then spelled the word. "Why are you curious about them?"

"Ginny Weasley said I saved her from Tom and the ba... sil... isk, basilisk, in the Chamber of Secrets. It's a really good story. I stabbed Tom's diary after Fawkes saved my life when the basilisk's tooth got stuck in my arm."

Echo's jaw had dropped, and Severus quickly shook his head at her. She closed her mouth.

Harry's eyes widened as he put down his soup spoon. "Uhm... I wasn't s'posed to tell you that Ginny told me. Is she gonna be in trouble now?"

"No, Harry, she won't be. Finish your soup and then meet me in the living room." Severus rose, threw the remainder of his coffee into the sink, and walked out of the kitchen.

Echo leaned over, "Did you really fight a basilisk?"

Harry shrugged. "Not me. I never did." He quickly finished the last of his soup, drank his juice down, then slid off his chair and into the living room where his father was pacing.

"Is there something wrong, Dad?" Harry asked seating himself on the sofa.

"Not really, son," said Severus as he stopped his pacing and sat down in his favorite chair. "Your grandfather told me I shouldn't get so wound up about you hearing stories of your past before you de-aged yourself, but I can't help being worried."

"That's kind of silly, Dad. They're just stories and I didn't do any of that stuff I've heard so far."

"Of course you did," spluttered Severus.

"No, I didn't. I remember living with Aunt Petunia, Uncle Vernon, and Dudley, then you coming to rescue me. I don't 'member stuff about basiliks, and trolls, and messing up Potions on purpose in Potions class!"

"What? Trolls? Sabotage? Harry! How much have you heard about your past?"

Harry glared because he felt his father was being deliberately obtuse about what he was trying to tell him. He huffed dramatically. "A lot. Ron told me the troll story was about me 'n him. Ginny told me about rescuing her in the Chamber of Secrets, and the twins told me yesterday that you were..." he was speaking fast, but skidded to a halt there.

Severus' eyes narrowed in warning, but deep down he was thinking the worst. Fred and George Weasley had told Harry about the way he'd been treated in his Potions class.

"What, precisely, did Fred and George tell you, Harry?"

"Well... uhm... it wasn't so nice, Dad." His father's expression became dark and his eyes glittered dangerously. "All right! They said you're a mean teacher to everyone but that you hated me and they thought it was strange you adopting me and all. But, Dad..." he tried to explain.

Severus interrupted, his voice raised, "I am not mean and I never hated you!"

"DAD!" Harry shouted back, rising to his feet.

Severus reigned in his anger and worry and began to explain, "You don't understand the position..."

"Dad!" Harry said more firmly, but without shouting. "You need to hear what I told Fred, George, and Ron."

He took a shallow breath. "All right. What did you tell the Weasley boys?"

"First of all..."

"...honestly, I can't believe..." began George.

"...Snape adopted you," ended Fred.

"Why?" asked Harry.

"He's a git, Harry!" snapped Ron. "He hated you."

"Said you were as bad as James," added Fred.

"If you hadn't been our Seeker, the point loss from Snape just being a ruddy arse would have prevented us from winning the House cup for Gryffindor that first year," explained George.

"He really didn't like you."

"He hates Gryffindors," said Ron. "Always favors his Slytherins."

"Professor Snape had to act that way, you idiots!" Hermione finally said. "Don't listen to them, Harry. The fact is, your father was always there to save you when you were in trouble."

"No he wasn't," interrupted Ginny. "He wasn't in the Chamber of Secrets. And where was he when Voldemort was after the Philosopher's Stone?"

"Ginny, you weren't even there!" snapped Hermione.

Ginny glared at Hermione. "I heard all about it, though."

"Snape was there," interjected Draco.

"How do you know?" sniped Ron towards the blonde.

"I know because I saw Snape sitting with Potter in the infirmary and Dumbledore came in. They started talking and Dumbledore thanked Snape for following Harry and bringing him to the infirmary. He was going to die if no one had followed." Draco smiled smugly.

Hermione added her two cents, "If he hated Harry, he wouldn't have bothered to save him all those times."

"I'm not Harry Potter!" Harry finally yelled at the six teenagers. "I don't remember none of that! I won't ever, and since I don't, it never happened to me. 'Kay?"

"Harry's right," agreed Draco.

"What? That doesn't make any sense," scoffed Ron. "Of course it happened to you." He stared hard at the little boy.

"No. It. Didn't!" shouted Harry. "You're talking about someone else and you're talking mean about my Dad! He's not mean to anyone in class, he's just real strict and I don't blame him for being a git to Harry if he was only goofing off because that's just dumb, stupid, and dangerous stupid!"

"I went back to the cottage then because I was getting tired of everything. I think Hermione must have said some more stuff to them, because right before I heard you scream from your nightmare, they all came to apologise."

Severus sat back for a moment in his chair, absorbing everything his son had told him about his encounter on the beach with the teenagers. "So," he finally said, "you don't feel you're Harry Potter, the teenager, because you don't have his memories."

Harry fell back against the sofa, squashing his neck for a moment in his uncomfortable position. He scooted himself up and then replied, "I know I'm him techinally... tech... you know? I just don't feel like him. Everything my friends have told me so far feels like a story that happened to someone else. I almost wish I could change my name, then they wouldn't get me mixed up with the Boy-Who-Lived." He scowled. "And that's a stupid name, you know."

Severus had to laugh at that. Harry had no idea how many times, in his irritation with Harry Potter the teenager he had twisted that particular moniker.

"Harry, do you know that you're an awfully remarkable boy?" The little boy smirked and went to go lean against his father's knee. "You must realise, though, that most of the wizarding world aren't going to make the distinction between Harry Potter and Harry James Potter-Snape as you have."

"Yeah, but they're not you and they're not my friends, so it doesn't matter." Harry leaned over and kissed his father's cheek. "Don't worry so much, Dad. You'll get wrinkled."

Severus laughed and hugged his son. "I'm your father and it's my place to worry. If need be, you can help me brew some Wrinkle Smoothing Potion."


Several days later, while Echo and Severus were fixing dinner, there came a tapping on the front window of the cottage. Harry was standing in the corner. He had promised his father he would wash Hector, but after three days he still had not done it. Severus had first made him wash the dog- which turned out to be more fun than he'd expected- then made him stand in the corner for fifteen minutes. He had at least five minutes left, but neither Echo nor his father had heard the tapping.

"Hector, go get Daddy. I don't want anymore minutes."

The dog rose from the hearth, shook himself once, and when a second tapping sounded, he gave a loud bark.

Within seconds Severus emerged from the lab. "Harry?" he asked worriedly.

"I'm okay, Daddy. I think there's an owl at the window."

Severus went over to the window, opened it, and then gave his son a quick, small smile. "Four more minutes, child, then you can go help Echo with the cookie dough."

"Okay," he replied happily.

The most ragged looking, black and grey owl he'd ever seen hopped into the living room and screeched annoyingly at Severus.

"What in Circe's name...? Is that Pigwidgeon's father?" asked Echo coming out of the kitchen, drying her hands on a towel.

Severus had divested the bird of its message and was reading it. "It's confirmation from Harley Walnut on the steamboat for this weekend."

Echo smirked and suppressed a snort of laughter. Severus glanced warily over his shoulder at her.

"Is there something you've not told me about this wizard?" he demanded softly.

"Harley is a bit of an eccentric, Severus, but I promise he'll get you to where you want to go."

"Does that mean you'll change your mind and come with us?" he asked slyly.

"I would love to, but you know I have quite a bit of paperwork to take care of at the Ministry."

"Harry, you're free," said his father glancing quickly in his son's direction. "Would you get some food for this owl so I can send him on his way?" Harry nodded and went into the kitchen where he quickly stuck his finger into the chocolate chip cookie dough and ate some of it.

"I am sorry our schedules clashed on this. I would cancel, but..." he began.

"It's all right, Severus. Albus will be there helping me and I have decided to take your suggestion about Oland's estate." In addition to receiving her property on Solonus back, Echo had been appalled to learn that she'd been named as sole beneficiary of Albert (Oland) Rangoon's estate. She wanted nothing whatsoever to do with it and had asked Severus what she ought to do about it.

"Giving it back to the families of the witches he murdered?"

She nodded. "Small compensation, I know, in exchange for the lives of their daughters, but it's the best I can do." Echo stepped a bit closer to Severus. "I do have a favor to ask." He smirked at her, his eyes crinkling slightly with thinly disguised teasing. "Don't you start," she warned with a smile. I'm serious."

He sobered quickly. "What may I do for you, my dear?"

"The house. I can't even think of it as being mine anymore. Would you see about finding a buyer for it? I don't care what you sell it for, just get rid of it."

"Is there anything within the house that you want?"

"I do have some things. If they're still there. I wouldn't mind if you'd like to go with me to retrieve those things, Severus."

He kissed her briefly. "We'll go after Harry and I get back from looking for the Melancton flower."

"Thank you, Severus," she stood on tiptoe, kissed his nose, giggled at his scowl, and then kissed his lips.

Harry came out with some food for the bird and let out a yelp as it snapped his finger sharply. "Bloody bird!"

"Harry!" snapped Severus, turning sharply away from Echo.

"But he bit me!" protested the little boy.

"You know to be careful with strange owls and you certainly know to watch your language. So, five minutes in the corner or 60 seconds of soap?"

Harry grimaced and stuck out his tongue. For an answer, he stomped back to his corner. He scowled and crossed his arms tightly over his chest.

"Lose the attitude, my boy, or you'll get the soap on top of the five minutes," cautioned Severus.

The little boy forced himself to relax and then lowered his head. "I'm sorry for swearing, Dad."

The little boy was a little startled when his father was suddenly beside him. "Let me see your finger." Severus held out his hand until his son lifted his hand and placed it on his father's open palm, showing the injured fingertip.

The bird had drawn blood. Severus used his wand to disinfect the bite and then bandaged it.

"Thank you," Harry said quietly.

"You're welcome, Harry," replied Severus. He smirked lightly towards his son and squeezed his shoulder. "Three minutes." Turning sharply, the dark haired man strode into the kitchen. For a moment he watched as Echo dropped spoonfuls of sticky cookie dough onto a cookie sheet.

"You never use magic when you cook," observed Severus.

"Neither do you."

"True. The only female I knew that cooked as much as you do was Harry's grandmother, Virginia Evans." His eyes held a hint of a smile as he thought back to those days briefly.

"Was she a good cook?"

"I think she was. At least Virginia was a sight better than my mother was. My mother had been raised in a large house where house elfs did all the cooking and cleaning. Mother never quite adapted well to Muggle life."

"You were raised in the Muggle world?" inquired Echo as she put the full cookie sheet into the warmed oven.

"My father was a Muggle. He wasn't... fond... of magic." Severus seated himself at the kitchen table and was soon joined by Echo. "I still don't know why he married my mother. He knew that she was a witch." He shook his head.

"You don't like thinking of your past, do you?" she asked tentatively.

His gaze hardened for a second, but then softened. "No. My childhood was no more pleasant than Harry's was with Petunia."

"Lily," Echo said softly. "She was a saving grace, wasn't she?"

"Lily and her parents gave me hope that the world, wizarding and Muggle alike, weren't all Dark." He looked across the table at Echo, who appeared worried, even preoccupied by something she wasn't willing to voice.

Severus had not yet decided what to do with the information Lily's letter from the past had revealed about Harry's birth, but he knew he needed to be honest with Echo. Since that day when she'd been kidnapped by her ex-husband he had faced his growing feelings for the witch. She was important to him and even though he didn't know if there was any future for them, he wanted to be open to such a possibility.

"What do you wish to know about Lily?" he prompted.

"I know that you loved her, Severus, but since you received that letter on Harry's birthday, I've been wondering..." she paused as she glanced into the living room where Harry was now at his art center drawing. "To be truthful, I've been wondering since before that letter. Perhaps it's because I never saw Harry before he was de-aged." She returned her gaze to his. "Harry is your biological son, isn't he?"

"That's quite a guess," he said rather vaguely.

Echo found his reply irritating and let him know so. "I'm not a fool, Severus, so please don't treat me as one. Except for some characteristics that I'm sure he inherited from his mother, he mostly takes after you in looks. The resemblance is even more striking since he's picked up some of your mannerisms." She nodded pointedly for him to look into the living room.

Severus turned to see his son studying a drawing he was working on. Just as Severus did with his quills when he was grading essays and tests, Harry was tapping the end of his drawing quill against his cheek.

Echo smiled and chuckled softly. "When I was taking care of Albus I recall Harry asking his grandfather if he might have billowing robes like you have someday." Severus let out a short chuckle. "On his birthday when he wore his dress robes, I'm sure everyone was able to see how much like you Harry is."

"I suppose they'll have to know as well," he voiced his thought. He turned back to Echo just as the bell rang on the oven announcing that the cookies were done. With a wave of his hand, the oven door opened and the cookie sheet sailed out and rested on top of the stove.

Echo stretched out her hand and placed it on his arm. "Don't you dare take those cookies off the pan, yet," she warned with a glint of a smile in her eyes.

"I wouldn't dream of interfering," he said, standing, with a slight smile upon his lips. He leaned closer to Echo. "And yes, the letter was from Lily. I am Harry's biological father."

Echo cupped his face in her hands and kissed him gently. "I think there is no greater gift she could have given you, Severus. Lily must have been an extraordinary woman."

He twisted a wayward curl around his finger and spoke softly. "She was my best friend."

"I think I might be jealous," Echo said with a slight smirk as she ran her fingers down a lock of his straight, black hair.

Severus pulled away a bit. "Are you?" he asked, a little afraid of the answer.

Echo slowly shook her head. "I expect Lily to always hold a special place in your heart, Severus. Not just because she is the mother of your son. I hope, though..." she spoke carefully and placed her hand over the Potions Master's heart. "I hope that someday there might be a place for me as well."

Severus didn't reply, but he took her other hand that was against his cheek and squeezed her fingers gently. He had hoped to encourage the Old Magic to give some small hint that it was still there. To his surprise and Echo's the Old Magic flared brightly between their hands. The kiss was simple, but the passion was deeper than either had been brave enough to show the other. It only ended when...

"May I have a cookie?" Harry had a smirk on his face much like his father's but his eyes twinkled rather irritatingly like his grandfather's.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2497