Take Two by etherian
Summary: This is the sequel to Harry Potter's Second Chance. You really ought to read that first or you'll be a bit lost. Voldemort is completely dead. Harry is 6 years old after having de-aged himself with an ancient and illegal potion. Albus is dying, but Severus hopes to gain permission to brew the same potion and save the old wizard.

Canon (more or less) up til the end of the fourth book, AU after that. Be aware that Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes was begun after the war, and the twins did not attend their 6th year.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: Second Chance
Chapters: 59 Completed: Yes Word count: 220316 Read: 231971 Published: 03 Apr 2011 Updated: 03 Apr 2011
Chapter 28 by etherian

The ride on the Livingston didn't seem as long back as the ride out had been. They reached the docks a little after six o'clock and Severus Apparated himself and his son back to their cottage. Severus had Floo called Albus to arrange a meeting and just managed a quick shower and a change of fresh clothing before he had to leave again.

Severus clutched the scroll that was his teacher's contract in his right hand while he bent slightly towards his son. "I'm going to be gone several hours, so Echo is in charge. I expect you to listen to what she says and you had better be in bed, and asleep, by the time I get home."

"I will, Dad, but will you tell grandpa to come visit again, soon?" Harry was really missing having Albus around all the time, and Severus admitted he missed the older wizard as well.

Albus had chosen to return to Hogwarts, his home of over 50 years. Soon to be his home with Minerva as his wife. If they ever found time to marry.

"We'll see about visiting him," Harry started to interrupt, but Severus held up his hand to stay whatever he was going to say. "Not tonight, son. Albus and I have a few things to discuss. Now, give me a kiss goodbye, and let me go."

Severus bent down a bit more, and on his tiptoes, Harry was able to plant a dry kiss to his father's cheek. When he rose to his full height, he turned slightly and kissed Echo; the first kiss, though quite chaste, he had deliberately done in front of his son.

"Don't let him get away with anything, my dear," smirked Severus, his black eyes glinting teasingly.

"Harry and I will be fine. Make sure you and Albus have some dinner while you're meeting and I'll save you some apple crumble."

Severus nodded with a smirk, then threw Floo powder into the fire and called out, Headmaster Dumbledore's Office, Hogwarts." He stepped into the green flames and was gone.


Harry was helping Echo make dinner. He was putting butter on the garlic bread that would be toasted in the oven.

"You like cooking a lot, don't you, Echo?" observed Harry.

"Next to my bookstore, I find it soothing. That, and it's very nice when my cooking is appreciated. I think you and your Dad appreciate my cooking, don't you?"

"Yep. I think Dad's even putting on some weight. He keeps saying he's going to have to start working out again." He put the thick slices of French bread on the pan and brought it over to Echo. She put it in the oven while Harry began to set the kitchen table.

"I never knew your Dad worked out," she said conversationally.

"He did. There's a magic room at Hogwarts that gets filled with whatever you need. It's really neat. When I went with him once, the room gave us a giant park to run around."

"That sounds wonderful, Harry. I don't think I've ever heard of such a magical room."

"It's neat. He told Hagrid once that if he didn't work out, he'd either drink himself to death or hex his students to death." Harry went to a drawer and took out two napkins that he placed on the table.

"Ah, so it was a stress reliever." She smiled and brought over two small bowls of salad for she and Harry to start on. Echo sat down across from him.

"Do all adults have stress relievers?" He stabbed his salad a few times with his fork, then glanced swiftly at Echo, put down his fork and picked out the small tomato bits and ate them.

"Most do. I think kids do, too."

"Really?" Harry lifted his head just as Echo handed him a napkin for his tomato-juiced fingers. He wiped his fingertips, then dove back into the salad looking for the olives.

"Harry, use your fork, not your fingers," Echo admonished mildly.

Harry's scowl was so brief, she nearly didn't see it. At her half smile Harry dutifully picked up his fork and continued his search for the olives.

Dinner went without a hitch after that little bump. Echo and Harry ate between talking about the Melancton hunt. Harry had been enthralled by Harley Walnut and was hoping to meet the crazy man again.

"Echo, did you always live on Solonus?" asked Harry as he dug into his apple crumble.

"I was born in Cypress on my father's olive farm and lived there until I was about five years old. Voldemort wanted my mother to work for him and when she wouldn't, my Dad sold his farm and they moved to one of the Muggle islands of Greece to escape from him. When I was nine, they sent me to my father's cousin in America."

"Voldymort killed your mum and Dad, didn't he?" whispered Harry with regret. Echo nodded. "Can you remember them well?"

"I knew them for nine years, dear, so I did have quite a few memories. I still miss them, though. Can you remember your mum or James?"

Harry shook his head. "I don't remember James at all. I only have nightmares of my mum trying to keep Voldymort from killing me. She did save me from the ghost Death Eaters. She was really pretty. Like you." He smiled, his compliment sincere.

"You're a sweetheart," she smiled back and stood up from the table. With a wave of her hand, the dishes were removed from the table and set to cleaning themselves in the sink.

Echo placed her hands on her hips and then announced, "All right, Harry, we have time for drawing, reading, or a game before bath time. Which would you like to do?"

"Gobstones?" asked Harry.

Echo grimaced. "Let me guess. You want to play with that set that Fred and George made, don't you?" Harry chortled. "Uh-huh. Just as I thought." She sighed over dramatically. "All right. Since you're going..."

"Yippiee!" Harry ran to his bedroom to get the set.

The Gobstones set had been specially made by Fred and George Weasley. Instead of emitting gross smells like standard sets did, this set emitted noises, glitter, confetti, and a spell to change hair colour.

They played for half an hour on the floor in front of the fireplace. About halfway through the game, Harry suggested that they both lose on purpose to make the most mess. The game degenerated into laughter, glitter, silly noises, and Echo's hair changed to red, to purple, then to green whereas Harry's hair went from yellow, to blue, and then plaid.

"How do you like growing up at Hogwarts, Harry?" asked Echo during a lull in their little mayhem.

"It's okay, but Dad has so much work to do their during school. I stayed with Molly, which was neat, cuz I learned a lot of great stuff and de-gnoming is a lot of fun. Dad always gets bothered by students when we're trying to read and stuff and then he's got detentions, too. Did you know the kids think Dad's a vampire?" Harry giggled and fell backwards.

"What's so funny about that?" smiled Echo as she threw some confetti over Harry.

"Dad can't be a vampire! He can walk in the sun, he drinks coffee, and he likes garlic on pizza. Bleh!"

"Good argument, Harry." She stood, leaned over him and tried to glower like Severus, but it was ruined by a wide smirk. "Guess what?"

"What?" he asked, smiling upward at Echo.

"Bath time!" Echo slipped her hands under Harry's armpits and hauled him to his feet.

The little boy huffed. "Five more minutes?"

"Bath, Harry. I need to clean this up and you need to clean up. Now go."

Sighing dramatically, Harry left the living room and went to his bedroom and into his bathroom.

He was having fun with Echo, but he was missing his father and hoped he'd come home soon. He knew it was almost bedtime, but maybe Echo would let him stay up late.

Smiling with that hope in mind, he started the bath water, turned another tap that sent purple suds into the water and then took off his clothing and threw it into the corner, instead of the hamper. Climbing into the warm bath water, he turned off the water tap, but let more suds in until they were nearly up to his chin. Although he was never supposed to splash in the bathtub, he couldn't help himself this time and flailed joyously with abandon. Not once did he notice that water was spilling onto the floor and that the suds were going everywhere.

Harry, now making booming, exploding noises as he smacked the water with his palms never heard the door to his bathroom open. He practically ducked under the water when he heard Echo's voice shouting, "Harry! What have you done?"

"Get out! You're a girl! You're not s'posed to be in here!" Harry shouted frantically behind a dwindling mound of purple suds.

Echo ignored his protests. "I just spent fifteen minutes cleaning up after our game, Harry. How could you make such a mess like this? I know you're not allowed to spla... yikes!" Echo nearly slipped on a puddle of water and soap but caught herself from taking a bad tumble by catching the edge of the sink.

"Are you okay, Echo?" Harry asked sharply with worry.

"I am." She threw a towel on the floor and then grabbed a second one.

"What are you doing with that?" Harry pointed at the towel she held up between her now outstretched arms.

"Up. Now. This bath is over."

"I can't!" he complained. "You'll see me."

"I'll close my eyes. Now stand up and get out of the tub. You're going to clean this up." She closed her eyes and soon sensed the little boy against the thick towel. Wrapping it around him, she opened her eyes and cast a drying charm over his hair. She then pushed him towards his bedroom.

"Are you mad, Echo?" he asked worriedly.

"Disappointed, dear," she sighed. "I know you don't do this when your father's around. I had hoped you'd extend me the same courtesy. Go get dressed in your pyjamas and then come and clean this up."

Harry trudged into his bedroom, made sure Echo couldn't see him, then tossed aside his towel and donned his pyjamas. He then returned to the bathroom, half-hoping Echo had started cleaning some of the mess. She hadn't. She handed him a towel.

"Wipe up the water and then any suds you see," she commanded gently.

Harry took the towel and did as he was told. It looked an awful mess, but the towel was absorbent and so the job was quicker than he thought it would be. He threw the towel in the hamper and intended to ignore his stack of dirty clothing but Echo, who had been leaning against the doorjamb, pointed at it and so he picked it up and tossed them into the hamper as well.

"Very good, Harry," she pronounced, pleased. "Bedtime."

"Can't I stay up 'til my Dad comes home? Please?"

Echo nudged him into the bedroom and turned off the bathroom light. "No, you cannot. You heard your father. He wanted you in bed and asleep by the time he came home."

"But I can't sleep with him gone. And, he reads to me," Harry pouted as he started to whine.

"I know he does, but he isn't here and it's already ten minutes past your bedtime."

"Pleaseeeeee?" he wheedled, giving Echo his most convincing puppy dog face.

"No!" Her voice held a touch of sharpness to it, but Harry chose to ignore it.

"Please, Echo? I know he'll be home soon. He won't mind. Please let me stay up?"

"That's enough bellyaching, Harry. I already said no. Now get into bed."

"NO!" shouted Harry and he ran out to the living room.

Echo rolled her eyes and then went after him. The little boy had planted himself in his father's chair and looked to be set to stay for a long while. Echo simply picked him up, cast a Featherlight Charm, and slung him, protesting, over her shoulder. When he started to struggle, she swatted his pyjama clad bottom sharply once. Harry let out an indignant yelp, but stopped his struggles.

"You're not nice, Echo!" he snapped. Echo stopped midway between the living room and his bedroom.

"If you don't stop that whining, Mr. Snape, I'll put you in the corner until your father gets home. Do you understand me, young man?"

"I just wanna..."

Echo interrupted him. "Would you like me to tell your father how terrible you've been when he gets home, or would you like me to tell him that you were a good little boy?"

With a sigh, Harry's body relaxed as he gave up his protests. Echo carted him into his bedroom and dropped him onto his bed. He was mad, but he kind of liked being dropped on the bed like that.

"Well? What should I tell your father when he gets home?" Echo was standing, hands on her hips, waiting for an answer.

Harry wanted to put up more of a fuss, but he realised now that if he did, and his father heard of it, there might be more than just standing in the corner for a few minutes. He might get grounded, or... he rubbed his bottom and glowered quickly at Echo- she spanked me!- or his father might add to that swat.

Making his decision, he first asked with a facetious grin, "Will you bounce me on the bed again?"

"You liked that, hm?" Waving a hand, Harry began to bounce up and down on his bed. He was giggling and clapping his hands while Hector barked loudly.

When the bouncing stopped, Harry scooted under the blankets and yanked them up to his chin. Echo smiled, leaned over to the bedside table where his dragon sat, and handed it to him.

"Your hand kinda hurt," Harry sulked softly.

"You were being very naughty, little one. Now, if you can stay in bed, and go to sleep, this will remain between us, all right?" She tucked a strand of his fine, silked hair behind his ear.

Harry stretched his arms upward and she leaned down further so he could hug her. "I'm sorry, Echo. It's okay if you want to tell, Dad. Just let him know you spanked me already." Echo nodded to him. He then squeezed her. "I really hope you love my Dad, Echo, cuz I want to keep you forever," he whispered in her ear.

Echo kissed Harry's cheek and tucked him in. "I wouldn't mind keeping you forever, too, sweetheart." She then smoothed some stray tendrils of hair off his face. "I'll be sure that your father comes in to see you the moment he gets home, all right?"

"Thank you." Hector jumped up to lie down beside his boy. Harry watched until Echo got to the door and then he called to her. She turned in the doorway and looked back. "I missed my Dad, but I had fun with you, Echo."

"I had fun, too, little one. Goodnight, Harry, and dream well." Nox-ing the light off, she closed the door partially and made her way to the living room.


Severus Snape made the decision that would affect his life and that of his son. He stared down at his teacher's contract, re-read the amendments and then signed it. It would be the last time he'd ever have to put his signature to the parchment. Putting away his quill, he rolled up the contract and handed it over to Albus. He had agreed to teach until Christmas, co-teaching with his replacement once Albus hired someone.

Albus smiled, patted the scroll, and with a wave of his hand, sent it to his second tier of bookshelves where it filed itself away.

There was a mild popping noise behind the two men as a table set with a light dinner appeared. "Will you have dinner with me, my boy?" asked Albus.

Severus nodded, "Echo wanted me to make sure that we both had something to eat," he smirked and took a seat at the table. He then served himself some of the savory vegetable and beef soup.

"Have you any thoughts on who might be suitable as your replacement, Severus?"

Severus eyebrow rose, "No one can replace me, Albus," the Potions Master declared smugly. "I will suggest suitable candidates, though."

Albus broke a chunk off some fresh made bread, dunked it into his soup, took a bite, then asked, "Have you any such candidates in mind?"

Severus sipped at his wine, considered a moment, then replied, "My first choice would be Potions Mistress Calendra Duncan. She's in her 70s but sharp as a whip. All of her apprentices are considered tops in their field."

"So she's a good teacher, then?" asked Albus.

"I believe so. I think she'd do well in maintaining the strict rules I have in place. First and second years might be a problem, though. Her patience is not as generous as mine towards younger children." Albus snorted and chuckled while Severus frowned.

"Who else do you have in mind?" Albus asked as his eyes twinkled.

"Potions Master William Herne. He has a good rapport with children and although he's never taken an apprentice, he does have a good reputation as a tutor. He has decidedly Hufflepuff leanings, so if you wanted him to Head my House, he might find himself mired by Slytherin cunning."

"Hmm, as to the Head of Slytherin, Severus, I was considering offering the position to Aurora Sinistra."

Severus coughed. "The Slytherins would have done with her before anyone knew she was missing, Albus!"

"I would think since she came from your House..."

Severus interrupted with a strong shake of his head. "She's quite loyal to Slytherin, but she hides from the students more than Sybill Trelawney does." He dabbed his napkin to his lips and the corner of his mouth quirked slightly. "Let us not forget when her Slytherin and Gryffindor third years, in a rare show of House unity, spelled the path from her office to the Astronomy Tower to lead her out to the lake. I do recall she ruined one set of my teaching robes with her tears."

Albus sighed. "The poor witch wouldn't teach for three weeks. Really, Severus, this is going to be difficult finding someone to your exact specifications. Are you certain...?"

"I have to think of Harry, first, Albus and as much as I do love the home I've made here, this is not the place to raise my child. Especially since he'll be coming back here in five years." He smiled gently at the old man, noting for once that his own smiles were appearing with more regularity and were also easier to share with those he cared about. Merlin help me, I hope my eyes haven't begun to twinkle!

"What about Bill Weasley?" asked Albus.

"I thought he was still in Egypt? Breaking curses on wizarding artefacts?"

Albus shook his head. "That ended a month ago. He's been looking for steadier work."

"Doesn't he rather enjoy the freedom of traveling around the world? Has something changed?"

"Molly told me the young man seems to be rather infatuated with a young witch from Beauxbaton."

"Ah." said Severus finishing his glass of wine. "Bill does have a Potions Mastery and he's written several rather astute articles for the trade magazines. But, a Gryffindor as Head of Slytherin, Albus?" The Potions Master shook his head firmly.

"I see nothing wrong with that, Severus. Quite honestly, I think it could only help the growing House unity that began last year. And don't forget, you've observed on a few occasions that you saw some distinct Slytherin qualities in the boy."

"True," nodded Severus.

"I believe I'll write to Bill and see if he's interested."

"Be sure that you let him know if he accepts, he'll be co-teaching with me until Christmas. I never had the fortune of Bill as a student, but I taught enough of his siblings that he may decline on their opinion alone," replied Severus archly, as the older wizard seemed to have made a decision, not even bothering to take a second look at his recommendations.

Albus finished his soup, then smiled, noting the young man's offended manner. "Severus, I promise you that I am not dismissing your recommendations..."

Severus interrupted, "You should have told me you had someone in mind already." He pushed away from the table and went to stand in front of the fireplace.

After a few minutes the old man's eyes lit up in understanding. He rose from the table and went over to the younger man's side. "I apologise for hurting you, Severus."

The young Potions Master glanced sharply at the Headmaster. "You haven't hurt me! What are you talking about?"

"Severus, my boy, you've been teaching here for fifteen years. You've been my trusted aide, my conscience, at times, and you are the son I've never had. I believe that you're... afraid that I've not only found a teacher for Potions, but someone to replace you."

Severus stared hard at the flames. He refused to admit it, but that's just what he felt. He knew that Albus had helped to guide Bill Weasley's illustrious career, including bestowing scholarship for (albeit anonymously) to further his Masters degrees in Curse Breaking and Potions. It had always irritated him when Albus spoke so openly of the young man's accomplishments and he couldn't do the same for Severus. He snorted to himself, I can see it now, there's Albus crowing about how wonderful a spy I am for him and how I saved Potter's life for the umpteenth time!

Albus hand gripped Severus' upper arm. "There were so many times, Severus, when I wanted to tell everyone of the pride I had in you, but you know that would have meant death for you. I have no restrictions now, and for anyone who will listen, I shall tell them not only how proud I still am of you, but that I love you as a father does his son. There is no one, not one single person on this earth, who can replace you."

Severus leaned his shoulder against the older man, but did not stop staring at the flames flickering before him.

Albus continued, "I would dearly love for you to remain at Hogwarts, to raise Harry here, but it is unfair of me to ask you to continue to do something you don't wish to do. As exemplary as your teaching career has been here at Hogwarts, I know it was never what you truly wanted. It's time, now, for you to pursue the career you love."

The Headmaster smiled, and even though Severus wasn't looking into his eyes, he knew those blue orbs were twinkling merrily. "I expect you to visit on a regular basis, my boy. After all, I must share the annoyances of my position with someone other than Minerva."

Severus chuckled softly. "As if you ever found any aspect of being Headmaster annoying."

"Too true." He tugged Severus over to the chairs by the fireplace. "I take it you'll be going into research and development with your potions?" asked Albus sending the table and their dirty dishes away with a wave of his wand and summoning an elf to bring tea. Once the tea had arrived, Severus poured for them both, then relaxed back against the chair.

"After I find a home for us, I'm considering an owl-order business to keep myself and Harry afloat while I work on my research and continue with finding a cure for werewolves."

"I am pleased that you and Remus have come together for that. I was rather incensed when I learned that the Ministry revoked your funding for further development of the Wolfsbane Potion. Arthur is doing his best, but he is only one man and there are so many things in the Ministry that need to be set to rights."

"I read recently that Arthur absolutely vetoed the 'Marriage Law' a second time." Observed Severus.

"I spoke up against it as well, with Minerva in the Wizengamot."

"Did you? I thought you didn't have any objection to such a law," teased Severus.

"The encouragement of marriage between witches and wizards is not something I object to. It's the threat of barring any witch or wizard from our community if they have no wish to marry that I disagree with. My other contention is that requiring those as young as 16 to be forced into marriage is wrong. I do not believe that someone so young has the appreciation of marriage that someone older does and then to force them into a union that can be so easily dissolved once a child is born..." Albus shook his head. "No, such a law does not sit well with me and I'm glad that our Minister, and others, see that as well."

"That aside," twinkled Albus, "tell me how my grandson is."

Severus related their day on the other side of the island and Harry's latest desires to either be a Potions Master on a sailing ship, or to have his own steamboat rattletrap like the Livingston.

"By the time we docked, Harry was no more than a white-toothed, smiling grease smudge with a red kerchief tucked partially into his back pocket. He kept from swearing, thank Merlin, but he certainly came up with some clever insults."

"Such as?" prompted Albus.

"I quite liked... dunderheaded fool that left his brain home with mummy. Oh! And this one... tin-potted nuisance with a belching problem." Severus smirked while Albus laughed out loud.

After several more minutes of discussing his son the Headmaster let out a yawn he tried to suppress but didn't succeed. "I'd best let you get on home, Severus," sighed Albus as he wiped a mirthful tear from one eye.

Severus gave a quick nod of agreement and stood up. He was at the Floo about to throw in the green-black glittering powder when a thought crossed his mind. "Albus, would you like to watch Harry for me on Monday night?"

Albus' bushy eyebrows rose wonderingly, "Of course. I take it Echo won't be available for that role?"

"Hardly, Albus. I intend to take the young lady out." Albus' smiled widely and his eyes twinkled knowingly. "Don't you dare say it, old man."

Albus arms went wide, "I have no idea what you mean, my boy." He chuckled and then patted Severus' shoulder. "Bring Harry whatever time you wish. Minerva is visiting her neice's family, so I'm sure I can keep the youngster busy."

"Thank you, Albus. Goodnight." Severus threw in the Floo powder. "Snape Cottage, Solonus Isle.

"Goodnight, dear boy." His eyes crinkled with his matching smile as he watched Severus step through the green flames and vanished. The old wizard danced a little jig around his office and then dashed up the stairs to his quarters. He was very happy for the wizard he called son.


That Sunday afternoon Harry stood in the doorway of his father's cottage potions lab. He was leaning against the door frame and scuffing his foot upon the carpet, building up static. Severus was in the midst of brewing an important potion and trying, at the same time, to pay attention to his son.

"You said an hour ago you'd be done," Harry complained. Severus noted the slight whine that was creeping into the child's voice and compressed his lips together in irritation.

"There were complications, Harry, and I already explained this to you."

"But you said we'd go ride on the Ferris wheel!" There was the whine.

Severus looked up and glared. "Harry, you're treading on my last nerve. Now stop your whining and either take Hector for a walk, or go do some artwork. I'm at a critical point..."

"You always are!" Harry growled and turned away. Severus did not pay attention to the stomping footsteps headed into the living room.

Severus had spent the morning explaining to his son that he was fine tuning the elixir to relieve the symptoms of fatigue and joint pain that a werewolf suffered before and after their transition. He'd received comprehensive notes that morning from Lupin and had several ideas he wanted to get started on right away.

Normally Echo would entertain the child but she had gone to her bookstore. Severus had offered to go with her, but she wanted to be by herself and promised to be back late afternoon.

Harry had been disappointed that he'd be on his own until Hedwig had arrived with a letter from Draco. Harry had gone off to read the letter and to write a reply back so Severus went to his lab.

Mid-morning Harry had entered his father's lab, finished with his letter, finished painting, drawing, and even playing a solitary game of Exploding Snap. In other words, he was bored. He was hoping he might be able to help with something, but Severus had dismissed him rather shortly. A short while later Harry had gone back to the lab and asked if they could go into the village when he was finished so he could ride on the Ferris wheel.

When an hour had slipped on by in which Harry had spent time reading and staring at the ceiling in his room, he had gone to see if his father was finished. Severus wasn't.

Harry had been bored, but now it was worse because he was mad at his father, too, for ignoring him. He flopped heavily onto his bed and then rolled onto his back. For a second he stared at the ceiling again, but then, with his hands, he shoved his books, and drawing parchment and a few games off his bed. He then scooted himself around so that his feet were now towards the headboard. Planting his feet flat and firmly against the wall, he began to thump his feet upon the wall. His trainers left little scuff marks, but he didn't care.

"Harry!" shouted his father, his irritation too clear. "Get your feet off the wall and go outside before I come in there and spank you!"

Harry glowered and thumped both feet rebelliously against the wall before he shoved off the bed and headed outside.


Severus carefully dropped three slivers of dry ice into the elixir. He watched as the muddy, thick potion became thin and clear as the dry ice quickly cooled it. Breathing a sigh of relief, he bottled the elixir, cleaned the cauldron, and then his workstation. Once everything was back in order, he left his lab to check on his son.

As Severus stepped out of his lab, he could smell turkey cooking and his mouth watered appreciatively. Casting the time spell he saw that it was almost four in the afternoon. Echo must have been home for a few hours.

And she's cooked my favorite. He smiled.

Echo had discovered that turkey was a weakness of his and managed to roast a small turkey hen once a week. There would be home made rolls, cranberry sauce with fresh cranberries, and giblet gravy.

"Is all well at your bookstore?" he asked as he wandered into the kitchen.

Echo turned and smiled. " Oland never stepped foot in it so it was pretty dusty. I did a lot of cleaning, but it was so wonderful to be able to be back in my little shop. I really had no idea how much I'd missed it."

"Will you re-open, soon?" he asked as she offered him a small spoonful taste of the cranberry sauce.

"Well, I'll be homeless shortly, so I have to work on that as soon as the house is sold. Severus, when is Draco coming?" she asked.

He had been savoring the tart/sweet sauce but had been distracted the moment she reminded him of her soon-to-be homeless state. He'd have to do something about that. "Draco will be arriving this Friday. If you'd like, you and I can go see about your things after Draco arrives while Draco takes care of Harry. Then, Draco, Remus, and I can get your things moved that evening."

"That sounds like a good plan," she sighed in relief.

She cast a cooling charm over the cranberry sauce and then went over to the bread dough that had risen. Echo liberally sprinkled flour onto the counter.

Severus slipped up behind her, taking advantage of the fact that her hands were covered in flour as she began kneading dough for the rolls. He brushed aside her hair and placed his lips teasingly to her throat.

"Draco is scheduled to arrive right after breakfast, so as soon as we get him settled, we'll leave," he spoke his silkiest into her ear and she felt her knees tremble in warning as he chuckled softly.

"I should never had said anything to you about your voice," she sighed leaning back against his chest.

"Quite true, Miss Prosper." He kissed her earlobe. "You should never give an advantage to an..."

Echo turned and kissed the wizard. "Don't you dare call yourself my enemy, Severus." She then grinned, planted her flour-dusted hands against his chest and pushed him away. "Dinner will be ready in an hour, so get out."

Severus snatched up her hands, kissed her fingertips as Echo giggled, and then swept out.


"Harry?" Severus looked in his son's bedroom and was appalled at the mess the child had left it in. The bed was a mess, toys and crayons, parchment, and even a few books were scattered on the floor. Above the headboard on the wall were clear scuff marks from a pair of shoes. "Harry!"

He strode out into the hall, stopped at the kitchen and asked, "Echo, have you seen Harry?"

She was just taking the turkey out of the oven and turned. "I thought he was in the lab with you."

"He wasn't. I told him to go play outside about two hours ago. Blast it all!" He went out to the backyard and tried to see if his son was down on the beach. After a pause, he went to the gate, opened it and walked several paces towards the beach. As he did so, his discerning eye scanned sharply for any sign that Harry had played out there. He saw nothing.

He turned from the beach, went around the cottage to the front yard and then through that gate. There on the path, almost too faint to see, were the imprints of Harry's trainers and beside them, the bigger prints of Hector's paws.

"Severus?" He looked up and turned, not realising that Echo had called his name twice before he responded.

"Harry's wandered off, Echo," he explained. "I'm going to follow his trail. Would you stay here in case I miss him?"

"I shall. Here," she held out his broom and smiled. "You might need this."

"Accio broom." The broom sailed to his hand and then he mounted the broom, hovering just above the ground. "Thank you, my dear." He then flew off, following the set of footprints.


Harry was certain he'd be back home before his father even knew he'd left. Unfortunately, he hadn't counted on his own penchant for being easily distracted and once he'd crossed into the village of Solonus Isle there was much to distract a seven year old boy especially since it was Market Sunday.

He looked through the windows of various stores and shops with Hector walking protectively at his side. He stopped at all the street vendors and scrutinised their wares and sometimes he stopped to chat with them.

"Master Harry!" bellowed a familiar sounding voice. Harry looked up to see Bido, the large man that his father had played chess with. The chess player sat near a water fountain on the patio of an outdoor cafe. He smiled encouragingly and waved the small boy over.

"Hi, sir!" greeted Harry. "Do you play chess all the time?"

"It's how I make my living, young Master. Is your father about?" asked Bido pointedly looking for the tall wizard in black. "I fancy a match with the wily fellow."

"He's brewing potions," Harry said with a slight tinge of disgust.

"Ahhh, then perhaps you'll indulge me in a game?" Bido patted one of the chairs by his chess set.

"Uhm, I'd like to, but I don't have any money. I forgot to bring my allowance with me."

"Well, if you win, there's nothing to worry about. If you lose, I'll collect the next time I see you. Fair enough, Master Harry?"

"I suppose. How much money, though?"

Bido lifted Harry and plopped him down on a chair. "We'll make it simple... and affordable since you're young," the large man winked and took his seat. "Five sickles to the winner. Although, if you win, you get a bonus of an ice cream."

"Cool!"

The game began and Bido was pleased to discover that the young man seated opposite him was quite a serious player. His pirate chessmen often distracted the young with their earthy insults and vicious fights, but Harry didn't once take his eyes off the pieces except when he needed to envision future moves. He also listened to his chess men when they offered advice. He didn't always take it, but when he didn't he made some very shrewd moves.

Hector was rather bored with the game of chess, and as he did with his boy at home when he was playing the game with his father, the dog dozed off at Harry's feet.

Bido, the showman he was, swore when it was needed, and crowed loudly to attract more of an audience. He praised the little boy, but as the crowd whispered around him, Harry was favored by those betting on the game. Harry, getting into the spirit of the showman's side of the game, came up with his own aspersions, but those were rather G-rated, yet no less creative than Bido's were. He'd gotten some fine practice on Harley's steamboat.

Finally, Bido tipped his king and bowed to the winner from his chair. The game had lasted almost two hours and had been a very challenging one. The crowd applauded and Harry was nearly knocked off his feet a few times by well-meaning, congratulatory slaps to his back.

"Five sickles to the winner," beamed Bido as the silver coins clinked in his hand.

Just as Harry stood and stretched out his hand for his winnings, thin fingers clamped tightly around his wrist.

"Uh ohhhh," gasped Harry, not daring to look up at who the hand belonged to.

"Mr. Bido, for taking care of my son, please keep the five sickles, if you would?" Severus' voice was exceedingly polite, but there was a shade of disapproval that the chess playing wizard picked up immediately. Bido bowed and pocketed the coins.

"An intelligent boy you have there, Master Snape. I'm glad I was able to watch over him for you in such an entertaining manner." Bido than looked down upon Harry as he stood. "Master Harry, I hope to see you again, but next time I hope your father joins me in a challenge."

Harry felt a nudge at his back and he spoke up, "Thank you, Mr. Bido." He smiled wanly and would have waved, but his wrist was still trapped in his father's grip.

The crowd had dispersed and Severus now tugged his son sharply away from the cafe and to his side. His pace was quick and Harry had to trot in order to keep up.

"But I won an ice cream!" Harry whined as he jerked his hand from his father's.

Severus turned sharply and glared down at his son. "Would you like for me to punish you here?"

Harry's mouth dropped open as he blanched. He nearly turned white as he saw in his father's eyes that he was only seconds from taking him over his knee right in the street.

"Dad, I..."

"Not one word," ordered his father in a clipped voice grasping his hand again.

"Ow! Dad! My fingers!"

Severus made a conscious effort to relax his grip as he counted to ten, over and over. I will NOT take my anger out on my child.

At the edge of the village, Harry had only a few seconds to catch his breath before Severus caught hold of Hector by his collar and clasped Harry tightly around the waist.

They Apparated to the front yard of the cottage. Severus made certain Harry was steady on his feet, then let him go. "Inside. Go directly to your room," ordered Severus.

Harry started to stomp angrily into the house when his father's rebuke stopped him. "Lose that attitude this instant, young man, or I promise you won't be able to sit at the table for dinner tonight."

Harry bit his lip, ran into the cottage, past Echo, and into his room where he very carefully closed the door gently. Hector trotted casually into the cottage and went into the kitchen for a drink of water.

Echo watched quietly as Severus entered the cottage, took his shrunken broom from his pocket, enlarged it, and then put his broom in the corner behind the door. "Where did you find him?"

"In the village. He was playing chess. I shouldn't have let him finish the game, but..." Severus shook his head. He couldn't help the fact that he had enjoyed how well his young son played against a chess master. He sat down heavily on the edge of his chair. "I was so relieved when I saw him, but now I'm so very angry at him."

Echo gripped his shoulder tightly for a moment. "Let me bring you some tea before you go into Harry. It will serve him well to stew for a time while you calm down."

Severus leaned back in his chair as Echo went into the kitchen. He closed his eyes and tried to push back at the anger he now felt.

He had seen his son amongst the crowd of spectators and had felt his heart soar knowing that he was safe. It was when he moved closer and began to watch the chess game progress that the anger began.

How could he have been playing when I was worried that the worst had happened? How could he not have any idea that I might be worried? What was going through that bloody, damned skull of his? Obviously the little brat just doesn't care!

Those thoughts rolled over and over in his mind making it difficult to push the anger down. Severus knew that while he was angry there was no way he could discipline his son. A feathering ghost of punishment at his own father's hands... and fists, caused him to shudder perceptibly.

He felt Echo's hand lifting his to wrap around the tea cup. He took the cup and brought the steaming, fragrant brew to his lips and sipped at it. He sighed and opened his eyes as Echo's lips brushed his brow.


Harry was mad, at first, and paced angrily in his room. His father had ignored him, after all. So, that meant it was his fault he went for a walk and wound up in the village. So there!

The longer he waited for his father, the more the anger he felt drifted away. Now he was worried.

Maybe I should have just stayed in the yard. I just wanted to go and ride on the Ferris wheel and I didn't even get near it. Why did he have to work on that stupid potion today?

He jumped as his father's knuckles rapped loudly upon his door nearly a half hour later. "Yes?"

Severus walked into the room and for a moment he stood, tall, ever the intimidating teacher of Potions at Hogwarts, and glared.

"I told you, never to leave the yard without telling me where you were going and you know you certainly never had permission to go gallivanting off to the village all by yourself."

"But I had Hector with me..." Harry tried to protest, but before he had a chance to say anything else, he was over his father's knee.

Five swats were abruptly delivered to his bum. By the third swat Harry was in tears that tore equally painfully at Severus' heart. By the fifth swat Harry was apologising through the tears and desperate to enfold himself in his father's arms and forgiveness.

Severus drew Harry up into his embrace and simply patted the child's back rhythmically until the tears became little hiccups. At that point he drew Harry back, wiped his tears with a handkerchief, and had him blow his nose.

"Why weren't you able to wait for me to finish my work?"

Harry just shrugged then answered a moment later with his own question, "Why couldn't you have just stopped or let me help?"

"I explained that to you this morning..."

Harry interrupted, "You only said you had to work on the potion and that it would take a couple of hours. Then, you got mad at me and told me to leave!"

"Did I tell you to go to the village?"

"No."

"I would have taken you if you'd just waited."

"I did wait. And wait. I played my games, and coloured, and read, and even took a nap and walked Hector. I got bored waiting. Even Hector got bored."

"Harry, you are going to have to learn that there will be times when I can't play with you. I do have work I must do. It's part of being an adult."

"But, couldn't I have helped?"

"I was working on a very delicate potion, child, and I couldn't allow myself to be distract..."

Harry glared at his father, insulted that Severus would accuse him of being a distraction.

"You don't want me," he pouted.

"Don't be an idiot, child," he admonished gently, brushing a strand of hair from Harry's eyes and kissing his temple. "Of course I want you. Always. You scared me to death when I couldn't find you and I thought I might have lost you. The Potions Lab is not a place to play, and you know that. When you're in there, I need to know that I can keep you as safe as I keep my students. However, there are going to be some potions that I work on that you will not be able to assist me with until you're much older."

Harry sighed heavily and leaned his head against his father's chest. "But this is summertime. You shouldn't work."

"I'm an adult. I always work. Except for when I get to relax and play with you." He heard the slight giggle and kissed Harry's forehead.

"I'm sorry, Daddy. I really didn't mean to go to the village, it's just me and Hector, we got walking and sort of didn't stop and then I got..."

"Distracted?" Severus smirked.

Harry pursed his lips tight a moment and then smiled. "Yeah. There's a lot to look at, you know?"

"So there is. Are you going to behave and follow the rules, now, child?" he asked.

Harry nodded and slipped his arms around his father's neck. "I really am sorry for making you afraid, Daddy," he whispered. "I won't ever go away from you. Ever." He kissed his father's cheek and then, with a grimace, asked, "Did you have to spank me so hard?"

"Would you like another swat for that question?" Severus mock threatened.

"No thanks!" Harry smirked and slid off his father's lap. He let out a yelp and rubbed his bum for a moment. "I don't think I can sit down for dinner."

Severus stood up, held out his hand to his son, then smiled gently, "Those are the consequences, child. Come along to dinner. We have turkey this evening."

Harry slipped his hand into his father's and smiled as they left the bedroom.


Harry was washing the dinner dishes while Severus and Echo were seated on the sofa in the living room. The child's chatter to Hector as he was washing was a pleasant buzz as Severus stretched out his long legs toward the empty fireplace and placed his head upon the back cushion.

"I can see now that I pulled the best chef in the world from the ocean," he sighed happily. Echo giggled and shook her head as he laced his fingers over his abdomen.

"Ahh, so you rescued me for my skills with turkey, did you?" she teased.

"Is there any other reason to rescue a drowning woman?"

"Ah me oh my! Only appreciated for my cooking! Poor me," she teased melodramatically, pouting her lower lip.

Severus opened one lazy eye. He then closed it slowly. "Well, you might have some other redeeming qualities."

"Do I? Would you care to elaborate, Master Snape?"

Severus curled his arm around her waist and pulled Echo closer to his side. He shifted his position so they were both more comfortable.

"Let's see now," he tapped his lower lip and beetled his brow as though he needed to think very carefully about what he was going to say. "Your lovely, dark curls," Echo smiled. "No. Not that." She frowned. "Ah! Your soft skin that's been kissed by the sun!" She sighed happily. "Wait, that's not what I meant." Her cobalt eyes narrowed dangerously at the Potions Master. "Yes! I have it! You have a singularly fascinating way of arranging the spice rack!"

Echo punched his shoulder and he ducked away, chuckling. "You think you're such a wit, don't you?"

"I am," he agreed, and smirked at Echo. Her blue eyes sparkled madly, but her indulgent smile enchanted him.

Echo leaned closer and kissed him lightly. She then whispered something into his ear. He blushed, scarlet, glanced over his shoulder to see if his son was still in the kitchen, then settled a wicked, knowing glance upon her.

"Don't tempt me," he whispered back, kissing Echo breathless.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2497