Take Two by etherian
Summary: This is the sequel to Harry Potter's Second Chance. You really ought to read that first or you'll be a bit lost. Voldemort is completely dead. Harry is 6 years old after having de-aged himself with an ancient and illegal potion. Albus is dying, but Severus hopes to gain permission to brew the same potion and save the old wizard.

Canon (more or less) up til the end of the fourth book, AU after that. Be aware that Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes was begun after the war, and the twins did not attend their 6th year.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: Second Chance
Chapters: 59 Completed: Yes Word count: 220316 Read: 231927 Published: 03 Apr 2011 Updated: 03 Apr 2011
Chapter 29 by etherian

Echo held up one dress against her figure, and then another. She sighed in frustration as she could not hide the scar that stretched the length of her upper torso.

The scar itself wasn't terrible other than it did show as a thin line of slightly paler flesh. Severus' skill in healing the wound had been careful so there was no ridge where the edges had knit themselves back together. Someday, she might get used to it, but the memory of how she received it was too fresh in her mind. For now, the scar might as well be glowing and pulsating for it seemed to be that prominent to her.

Tossing the last of her dresses upon the bed, she sighed heavily. Severus had surprised her by asking her to dinner and dancing this evening and she couldn't wear any of her favorites. They were all much too casual. Her skill in Clothes Altering Spells was severely lacking, as well.

"Not that I have a great selection," she muttered unhappily at her entire wardrobe spread out on her bed. She watched as one blouse fell to the floor in a soft cascade of gauzy cotton.

"Echo!" Harry's voice called on he knocked loudly on her door.

Tightening her dressing gown belt, she went to her bedroom door and opened it partially. The little boy was mostly obscured by a box nearly wider than he was.

"Goodness! What have you got there, Harry?"

"Dad told me to give it to you, Echo," he replied, his eyes and nose appearing over the edge of the box. "He said it's a surprise."

Echo took the box from Harry. "Thank you, sweetheart."

"You're welcome. Can I see the surprise?" he asked with wide eyes.

"Sure. Let's open it together." Echo ushered Harry into her bedroom and she laid the large box down on the bed. The lid was held on by a large, gold ribbon. Echo instructed Harry to take one end and she took the other. With a tug from them both, the ribbon fell off. "Would you like the ribbon, Harry?"

"Yeah! It would look real nice on Hector."

"Oh yes, it sure would. All right, let's see what's in the box."

Harry gathered up the long ribbon and then stood next to Echo as she carefully lifted the lid of the box. There was a sheet of purple tissue that she removed to reveal a glorious pool of red silk.

"Oh, Circe..." she breathed as she pulled the dress from the box. "This is... oh my... oh look at this, Harry."

"It's very pretty," said Harry softly.

Echo had always been drawn to dark, warm colours. Red was one colour she'd never been bold enough to wear yet it looked striking against her skin. For several minutes she stood in front of her mirror just holding the dress against her body.

Harry's attention was drawn away from the dress and towards the box. "Are you going to keep the tissue paper, Echo?"

"Would you like it?" She smiled as his green eyes were glittering like those of a shiny object obsessed raven. He nodded hopefully. Echo grabbed the lovely, purple tissue paper and gave it to the boy.

"Harry, I need to get ready now. Would you tell your father thank you from me, and let him know I'll be ready in an hour."

"Okay!" Harry ran out with his prize and shut Echo's door behind him.

The dress was absolutely exquisite, yet Echo could not stop her fingers from hovering worriedly over her visible scar.


Harry, standing on his dressing stool, combed his father's hair while Severus fixed the white silk cravat at his neck.

"You can tie your hair now, daddy," declared Harry as he put the comb on the sink.

"Waistcoat first, son. Will you get it for me?" He glared severely and critically at his reflection.

Harry climbed off the dressing stool and ran into the bedroom while Severus pinned an emerald brooch to the cravat. He adjusted the silk and scrutinised the brooch which was a seldom worn piece of jewelry handed down for nearly two centuries in the Prince family. He smiled thinly. One day it would belong to his son.

"Here you go, daddy!"

Harry brought in a black velvet and dark gold brocade waistcoat that Severus put on over his white silk shirt. He buttoned the black onyx stone buttons of the waistcoat and then tugged the sleeves of his shirt into place. He then summoned a black, summer wool woven frock coat that he left unbuttoned. He be-spelled a Cooling Spell into the fabric of the frock and his pinstriped black trousers; a trick of his he'd perfected a long time ago. His son then handed him a black velvet ribbon and Severus tied his hair back.

"What do you think, Harry?" asked Severus as he inspected himself appraisingly in the bathroom mirror.

Harry cocked his head sideways. "I don't think you should have a ponytail this time."

Severus glanced down at his son. "Are you sure?"

Harry eyed his father's reflection, then looked directly at him. He then nodded firmly. "Yeah. I think it'll look better without."

Severus smirked, chucked his son's chin, and then removed the ribbon. "Well, let's get you to Hogwarts, son."

"Don't I get to see Echo?" Harry asked in disappointment.

"She's coming with us, so I'm pretty certain you do. Now, go wait in the living room while I see how the young lady is doing."

Harry veered into the living room while Severus went to Echo's bedroom door and knocked. He didn't receive an answer to the first knock and so he knocked a second time. After what seemed an interminably long 60 seconds he heard a faint voice from within.

"Is that you, Severus?"

"It is, Echo. Are you all right?" Her voice sounded like she was distressed. He hoped she hadn't objected to his gift of the dress. Severus knew he'd taken a chance in giving it to Echo, but he hoped to get her to realise that her beauty outshone any scars upon her person.

She didn't answer his question but simply asked him to enter. Severus opened the door slowly, then when he was certain he wasn't intruding, he stepped further into the room.

Echo stood in front of her full length mirror wearing the red silk dress. It draped beautifully, delineating her curves as it fell in a brilliant crimson cascade of silk. The sleeves were narrow straps, edged with delicate, dark pink, silk thread embroidery that trailed down the edge of the shaped neckline that enhanced the shape of her decolletage.

Severus thought she looked absolutely gorgeous in the dress, but for her long hair draped haphazardly over one shoulder. He knew right away that she had been trying to hide the scar and was not happy with the result.

He slipped up behind Echo, pulled aside her luxuriant curls and lightly stroked his fingertips along the part of the scar that was revealed by the dress's neckline.

Echo caught his fingers and stilled them. "Don't," she said softly. "It's horrid." In the mirror he saw that her lovely, dark blue eyes were glistening with unshed tears. "The dress is so beautiful, Severus, but I can't..."

"You're the one that is beautiful, Echo," he emphasized softly, his lips brushing her collarbone just above where the scar began. He felt her body shiver slightly. "The dress is nothing. As is this scar." With a subtle twist of his captured hand, he now had her fingers within his and he deliberately drew her own fingers down the thin, line of slightly pale flesh.

Echo watched, her body rigid against the wizard's. She had not, yet, touched the scar as she was somehow afraid that if she did so, the nightmare of her time in the cave with Oland would descend upon her and she'd never be able to escape him.

Severus turned Echo in his arms and brought her chin up so that he could see into her eyes. A very light touch of Legilimens and he could see her fears. "If you allow your fear to be controlled through this," he puposefully drew his index finger down the part of the scar that scored her collarbone. "then Oland has what he wanted from you." Echo shook her head sharply. Severus caught her chin gently. "Yes, he does."

"But, won't they know?" she asked trembling, referring to anyone that might look upon her scar.

He turned her to face the mirror once more. He lifted her hair, waved his hand for the jeweled combs that were on the dresser, and placed them so that curled tendrils framed her face and the heavier hair tumbled down to her upper back, but was held slightly away from her neck. It was elegant and soft. "They'll know nothing but the sight of a most lovely, young woman."

"A glamour?" she persisted.

"Is useless, my dear lady. You suffered, you survived, and you triumphed. You should not be ashamed..."

"Yet you hid your scar," she accused, somewhat desperately.

"Echo, you didn't choose this mark. The Dark Mark was one I had to choose, even though my loyalties lay elsewhere. Even those I once counted as friend would have sent me to Azkaban and the Dementor's Kiss if they'd seen it. No amount of intervention from Albus would have stopped them."

"Severus, I'm sorry. I just look at it and I'm terrified of finding myself back in that cave."

He placed his hands firmly upon her shoulders as they both looked at the scar in the mirror's reflection. "You have that scar because you refused to bow down to him, Echo. You survived where others didn't." He ran his fingers down her throat and delicately over the bare skin of her shoulders. He kissed her, lingeringly, behind her ear, then smiled at her in the mirror.

When, after a few minutes, the barest shadow of a smile graced her lips, Severus took Echo by the hand, drew her out of her bedroom, and nudged her ahead of himself into the living room.

Harry had been idly turning the pages of the mythology book Hermione had given him when Echo walked into the room. The book dropped from his lap as he saw her. His mouth formed an 'O' and his eyes widened.

"Echo! You're an angel!" gasped Harry.

To the little boy's delight and subsequent embarrassment, Echo crouched down and drew him into her arms. He had planned to wriggle away, but she smelled very pretty, too, so he allowed her to kiss his cheeks.

"Harry, you're a gem," she smiled, tapping his nose lightly. "Thank you for being so honest."

Harry's cheeks coloured. His father rescued him from having to reply, by helping Echo up to her feet. "I think we're all ready to go, except for Hector," said Severus.

"Hector!" yelled Harry and both Echo and Severus winced.

"Harry," admonished his father. "Yelling isn't necessary. You know he's outside, so please go get him."

Harry snorted gleefully and then ran out to the backyard to get his dog. When he returned, his father was wearing his long, black, outer dress robes, and Echo was wearing a black, velvet cloak over her shoulders.


Harry was slightly green after the long distance Floo travel despite a quick stopover at a Floo station in Ireland. He was lying down, with his head on his father's thigh, on a small divan in the Headmaster's office as Severus gave him a potion to settle his stomach. Albus was gushing delightedly over the way Echo looked and to her relief, he never once said anything about the scar.

"So, is Harry feeling better?" asked Albus as he stroked the little boy's cheek.

"He just needs to stay put for ten more minutes, Albus, and then he'll be right as rain," replied Severus.

"I hate Flooing," mumbled Harry into his father's leg.

Severus stroked his son's head gently and then patted his back. "I did warn you to close your eyes, child."

"But I like seeing all the fireplaces whizzing past!"

"And that's why you get Floo-sick," chuckled Harry's father. He slid carefully out from under his son and then stood up. "You'll be good for your grandfather, now, won't you?"

"Uh huh," he said into the cushion.

"Bedtime is 7:30, Albus, although if he's exceptionally good, he can stay up until 8. No sweets, please, after 6:00 otherwise you have to deal with 'Hyper Harry'." Harry sniggered softly and repeated, 'Hyper Harry.' Severus gave his son's rump a soft whack. "Yes. It's a terrible monster, Albus."

Albus smiled brightly, "I believe you, my boy. Harry and I will be just fine. Run along and enjoy yourselves, my dears." The old wizard ushered them towards the Floo.

"I'll be back in the morning to pick you up, Harry." Severus sidled away from the Headmaster and leaned over to kiss Harry. He whispered, "I love you, child."

"Love you, too, dad." Harry pulled his father down and kissed his cheek then laid his head back down. "Bye!"

Once in front of the Floo, Severus threw the powder into the flames and called out, "London Floo Station, South gate!" Just catching the curious look upon Echo's face, he smiled knowingly, and tugged her into the green flames with him. The couple vanished and the flames died down to a warming orange.


Severus escorted Echo quickly out of the busy London Floo station and to the kerb where a highly polished, black lacquered carriage with shiny brass fittings waited patiently for them. The driver tipped his brushed silk top hat to his passengers, then jumped down to help the lady into the carriage. In a low voice, Severus gave the driver a destination then he climbed up to sit beside Echo.

"Yor blanket 'as a Warmin' Charm," said the driver in a poetic Cockney accent that Severus could tell was just for show. "It's a nice night, though, so yer shouldn't ought ter need it." The driver clucked his tongue, and the horse began trotting quicker down the cobbled street.

Wizarding London, with its gaslamps and horse drawn carriages, had the look of a century past. It was this simplicity and elegance that caused Severus to thank his fortune for being a wizard. The Muggle world did have many things the Wizarding world did not, but in the Wizarding world, the air was cleaner.

"Where are we going, Severus?" asked Echo slipping her hand into his.

"Have you ever been to London?" he asked, neatly sidestepping her question.

She shook her head. "Only two places: Greece and the United States."

Severus relaxed against the cushion of the seat. "I never really spent much time in wizarding London, but there were many times I'd escape to Muggle London."

"Do you like the Muggle world?"

"It has its attraction. More often than not it was the best place for me to hide when I didn't want to face anyone. London was the place I found I could best blend in, even, at times, fully robed as a wizard."

Echo leaned closer as he put an arm over her shoulders. "Was it often necessary to hide?" she whispered into his ear.

Her sweet breath tickled his neck and he turned to steal a quick kiss. "It was the nature of my work. Either I had to hide from Death Eaters who wanted to usurp my place within the Inner Circle of Voldemort, or I was evading Aurors who did not know of my dual role in the war."

Echo shook her head. "I just cannot begin to imagine what it was like for you, Severus. For me, the war was so far away, that it often felt like a fairytale. Did you know that when news of Voldemort's death reached us on Solonus Isle it didn't even make the front page of The Greek Herald?"

Severus shifted slightly. "I understand that many countries called it 'Britain's Dark War'," commented Severus wryly.

Echo nodded. She'd heard that term many times, even when she'd been at school. "As terrifying as Voldemort was, he did not have the worldwide reach that Grindelwald had. I'm so very glad I wasn't even a glimmer in my parents eyes then. The histories I've read of him were the stuff of nightmares. Wasn't he compared to a Muggle dictator?"

"Adolph Hitler," Severus replied softly.

Gellert Grindelwald, many wizards of today seemed to forget, was still in his own prison of Nurmengard, haunted by the spectres of those he tormented and killed. Grindelwald did not have the magical power of Voldemort, but he did have the insidious charm of persuasive speech. Grindelwald's machinations had spread over half of the wizarding world by the time Albus Dumbledore defeated him and imprisoned the Dark Wizard, wisely removing any ability for the wizard to communicate to the outside world.

Recent articles written by the erstwhile Rita Skeeter for a disreputable weekly gossip rag out of Scotland bothered Severus for their barbed attacks against Dumbledore and his 'band of rebellious Phoenixes'. There were many idiots that fed hungrily upon Skeeter's articles and although Severus knew they'd be soon forgotten, he worried that more important history would be forgotten as well. The evil of Voldemort could easily have destroyed the wizarding world and no one, it seemed, truly understood what Dumbledore and his Order and Harry Potter had contained within the borders of Britain.

Severus shuddered, feeling an unnatural chill touch the back of his neck. Pulling Echo tighter to himself, he shook the images of the past from his mind and tried, instead, to concentrate upon the woman in his arms.

Echo had grown quiet, no doubt realising that their conversation had taken a decidedly un-romantic turn. It was a beautiful, clear night with the stars just coming out and twinkling above them. Severus was strong and warm against her side and she breathed in his scent of spice, hyssop, and vetiver. When he shuddered, she placed her palm against his chest. His hand on the other side of her shoulder tightened momentarily and then his fingers tugged playfully at an errant curl. She lifted her face and met his lips with her own.


A sharp jerk of the carriage signaled the reluctant end to their kiss. Severus did not pull away abruptly, though, and whispered softly, "You are Beauty itself, dear Echo."

Her eyes dropped demurely and she smiled as the heat of her blood rose a few degrees. When Severus stepped from the carriage, he held out his hand and helped her down so she could peruse their destination.

They stood in front of an arch of twisted, heavy purple wisteria that led into the courtyard of a small, intimate, outdoor restaurant. At the center of the courtyard was a large, open fire pit that added a warm glow to the round tables covered in burgundy linen cloths and decorated with antique brass lamps that each held a single candle.

Echo and Severus were met by the concierge, a tall, utterly thin man who appeared as though he ought to eat more at the restaurant he worked at.

"Welcome to the Wisteria," his voice was reedy, yet had a regal air to it.

The concierge bowed, led them into the courtyard and over to a private table that was just barely touched by the light of the flame from the fire pit. Echo unhooked the ornate clasp of her cloak and the concierge draped it neatly over his arm. He then did the same for Severus' heavy outer robe as the Potions Master handed it to him. A flick of his wand and the wraps were sent to a hidden cloak room. Just as efficiently, he slid out Echo's chair, helped her into it, then summoned a bottle of wine and two, small crystal wine glasses. He filled each glass with only enough to offer a taste.

"We are featuring our own house wine this evening, Wisteria Rose'. It is a perfectly harmonious blend of the grape with a bouquet that tempts and transports." The concierge nodded and they lifted their glasses.

Echo had never tasted such a fancy wine and she carefully watched as Severus first sniffed the wine, then took a small sample that he savored upon his palate. He then took the last swallow and finished it. A quick nod from Severus and Echo duplicated what he'd done.

Tentatively sniffing the wine, she was surprised by a rich aroma that made her think of heavy, luscious grapes beneath an Italian sun. A small sip, that she held on her tongue transported her to a Tuscany summer. She closed her eyes, never having felt so carried away by something as simple as a wine.

She was suddenly surprised as her lips were captured and her eyes flew open. Severus lips tasted heavenly, and if anyone were watching the kiss, Echo didn't care. Caressing the back of his neck, she felt his arm around her waist drawing her closer. After what seemed an eternity of bliss, the kiss ended and a sweetly dazed Echo was looking into the wickedly glittering gaze of the Potions Master.

"Oh my," she smiled.

"And that was only the wine," Severus smirked.

Echo blinked away her daze and her gaze darted around. "The concierge... uhm..." she touched her lovely, bruised lips and blushed beautifully by casting her gaze to the tabletop. "He didn't... I mean..."

Severus chuckled softly and slipped his hand around Echo's. His knuckle just grazing her lower lip. It was then she noticed that they were no longer separated by the width of the table. Severus had moved to sit beside her. "He was gone before you'd even tasted your wine, my dear." Severus slid the menu closer to her.

Echo picked up the menu and quickly scanned it. She had no idea what to choose. She glanced up at the wizard beside her, clearly feeling a bit lost.

"Truthfully, I've never eaten here," Severus confessed to her unasked plea for help. "Arthur recommended the place. Recently he took Molly for their anniversary and she rather enjoyed it. High praise from a witch famous for her cooking."

Echo leaned slightly toward him with the menu held close to her chest. "So, what do we choose?"

"Do you trust me?" he asked conspiratorially.

"Implicitly," she said, closing her menu and placing it at the edge of the table.

Within a few minutes Severus had ordered for them and their waiter poured each of them another glass of Wisteria Rose'. Once the waiter left, Severus lifted his glass in a toast.

"May your heart be warm and happy, with the lilt of your laughter..." Severus touched his glass to Echo's and they chimed lightly as he finished, "Every day in every way, and forever and ever after."

They sipped their wine and as Echo looked deeply into his eyes, he was certain he detected a lovely blush to her skin. He smiled, leaned closer, and brushed his lips to hers once more.


Albus spoke into a small hand mirror that had been charmed to accept communication from anyone with another similarly charmed mirror. Only Albus knew that the 'communication mirror' as he called it, had been invented by Sirius Black when he'd still been a student. It had afforded the Gryffindor Marauders a way to elude their Headmaster for almost a full term before he discovered how they were communicating with each other. It was after they finished Hogwarts that Albus had Sirius charm the mirrors for a few members of the Order. To Albus' knowledge, only he and Minerva still had theirs.

The Headmaster was speaking to Minerva now and Harry was at his side waving every few seconds at his Auntie Minerva.

"I shall miss you this evening, my dear," he spoke gently.

"I will be back by tomorrow afternoon, Albus. I'm certain that Harry can keep you suitably entertained." The stern witch's facade was broken by a tiny smirk she'd possibly learned from Severus Snape.

"I'll keep him busy, Auntie!" agreed Harry.

"I know you shall, sweet boy. Just don't tire your grandfather out too much." A twinkle sparkled in her grey blue eyes and Harry giggled.

"Goodnight, my dear. I do love you," the Headmaster smiled.

"I love you also, Albus. Goodnight."

The reflection in the mirror shimmered and Albus laid his mirror face down with a sigh.

"When are you gonna marry, Auntie Minnie, grandpa?" asked Harry as he stroked his grandfather's soft beard.

"Such a good question, Harry. Minerva and I have been so busy it seems we haven't had a moment to plan something for ourselves." He hoisted the little boy into his lap. "Oof! You're growing, child!"

"Daddy says I'll have a growth spit in a couple of years. Oh, I know when you can get married, grandpa."

Albus smiled and took a tendril of his beard from the child's sudden, tangling fingers. Harry didn't know it, but he was tugging individual strands and that made his grandfather's chin itch.

"When should we get married, then?" he asked.

"You can get married when Echo and dad do," Harry said firmly.

"A capital idea, but how do you know that Echo and your father are going to get married?"

Harry held up one finger, "Dad kisses Echo and he said that's cuz he likes her." He then held up a second finger. "He took Echo on a date, so that means he loves her. And, he bought her a pretty dress. That's gotta mean something, but I'm not sure what."

Albus chuckled. "I believe it's a bit more complicated than that, child."

Harry frowned. "It's a grown-up thing isn't it?" Albus nodded. "Those give me a headache." Harry slid off his grandfather's lap just as Remus' head appeared with a whoosh in the green flames of the Floo.

"Hello, Harry! I didn't expect to see you here," the werewolf smiled pleasantly.

Harry crouched down in front of the Floo. "Hello, Remus. Does your head feel funny like that?"

Remus chuckled. "I feel a tiny tickle, but it's not unpleasant. What are you doing here?"

Albus interrupted, "I'm watching Harry this evening while Severus and Echo go on a date."

Remus' eyebrows rose. "Indeed? Well, it's about time!"

"Dad has to date Echo first, then he can make her my mum, and I'll be a big brother," Harry elaborated.

Both wizards chuckled, then Albus asked, "Was there something you needed, Remus?"

"You wanted me to bring by my lesson plans for my Auror Prep Class for Seventh Years, Albus."

"Oh dear! That was this evening?"

"I'm sure we can..." began Remus.

"No, no. Come through, Remus." The younger wizard's head vanished for a moment. Then Remus stepped through the Floo. "Harry, I'm terribly sorry, but I do have some work I need to take care of with Remus. I still have your shelf of books, and your toy chest is over there by Fawkes' perch. You can also chat with any of the portraits, if they're awake."

"Okay, grandpa."

Harry kept himself occupied for at least fifteen minutes reading, but then he decided to go and talk with Phineas Nigellus Black. That was when he noticed Hector wasn't in the Headmaster's office. He turned to ask his grandfather if he'd seen the big dog, but Albus and Remus were arguing over something, and Harry didn't wish to interrupt.

Seeing the door to the Headmaster's office open, Harry figured that Hector left that way and he went to go look for his furry friend before the dog got in trouble, or lost.

The End.
End Notes:
Severus' toast is an old Irish drinking blessing by the ubiquitous 'Anonymous'. The concierge's description of Wisteria Rose' actually has an interpretive meaning that describes the wine as an excellent blend of grapes, perfectly aged with a superior aroma.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2497