Take Two by etherian
Summary: This is the sequel to Harry Potter's Second Chance. You really ought to read that first or you'll be a bit lost. Voldemort is completely dead. Harry is 6 years old after having de-aged himself with an ancient and illegal potion. Albus is dying, but Severus hopes to gain permission to brew the same potion and save the old wizard.

Canon (more or less) up til the end of the fourth book, AU after that. Be aware that Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes was begun after the war, and the twins did not attend their 6th year.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: Second Chance
Chapters: 59 Completed: Yes Word count: 220316 Read: 231922 Published: 03 Apr 2011 Updated: 03 Apr 2011
Chapter 33 by etherian

It had taken Albus nearly an hour to explain to Dobby that he was going to visit Harry as a friend and not as a house elf in order to play with him. The house elf was not to do any housework, nor offer to do any. Crossing his fingers that Dobby understood, he gave the house elf leave to Pop to the Snape Cottage.

Dobby understood very well what was going on, but he didn't mind that the wizards didn't always understand this. He just patted Master Headmaster's thin hand and nodded happily. Wizards always underestimated them. House elfs were very intelligent creatures.

Wearing his five favorite knit caps (one of each colour), a blue jumper with a large, green 'D', and one red and yellow striped sock, and a second black sock with pumpkins on it, Dobby trotted up to the front door and knocked politely.

"Dobby!"

The house elf was delighted to have an armful of enthusiastic little boy. His head bobbled happily as his long, thin fingers patted his friend on the back.

"Dobby is glad Master Harry asked Dobby for a visit!"

"I'm glad you could come," said Harry as he took Dobby by the hand and dragged him into the cottage. "Dad, this is Dobby. He helped me to find Hector."

Severus nodded his head to the elf. Dobby bowed very low. "Dobby is remembering Master Snapes, sir."

A look of sudden remembered pain crossed Severus face. He wondered how he hadn't recalled the elf's name, but its voice, and large, pale green eyes he did remember. "You're Lucius Malfoy's elf," his voice sounded flat and dead.

Dobby shook his head strongly. "Dobby free elf, Master Snapes." The house elf then glanced pointedly at the Potions Master's son. The Headmaster had also explained that Dobby should try to refrain from mentioning the 'Boy-Who-Lived'. Dobby did not point out that he already knew that Harry Potter-Snape and Master Harry Potter who had tricked his old Master Lucius Malfoy were not the same wizard.

Echo, coming from the kitchen, caught the tail end of Severus comment and touched his arm, breaking the tension before the atmosphere could degenerate further. "Harry, is this your friend, Dobby?"

"Yes! Dobby, this is Echo Prosper," introduced Harry.

Dobby bowed. "Dobby is pleased to be meeting Mistress Prosper."

"Okay, can we go play now?" asked Harry.

"You can, Harry," replied his father. "Dobby, I expect you to have the same care with my son as you used to have for Draco Malfoy."

"Yes, Master Snapes. Dobby understands."

"Let me show you my room, Dobby." Dobby happily trotted after the little boy.

Severus heard a slight snort and turned to glare at Echo. She slapped a hand over her mouth and pretended to cough.

"Are you still laughing over this, Miss Prosper?" he asked darkly.

"Oh no, Master Snapes, sir, I just has a coughs." She turned to run back into the kitchen but not fast enough to escape a sharp swat to her backside. Echo yelped and then broke down laughing, by herself, in the kitchen. Severus sniffed haughtily, and strode down to his lab. As he passed Harry's room, he peeked in, making sure neither the house elf, nor his son could see him.

Dobby was looking at Harry's wall of sketches, drawings, and paintings. "You is good artist, Master Harry. Dobby is liking this drawing of Master Draco."

Dobby was pointing at a head and shoulders crayon sketch of Draco laughing at something. It was also a favorite of Severus' for there had been too few things for the youngest Malfoy to laugh at for a long time. Harry had caught his friend during his birthday celebration a few weeks ago.

"So you know Draco, Dobby?"

The house elf nodded. "Dobby raise Master Draco from baby. Do best to keep safe, hug when not." Dobby sighed unhappily. He missed his Master Draco and often wondered if the boy missed him.

Harry did not notice the bit of melancholy for as he turned to face the house elf, he was only greeted by a wide grin. "Dad says when I have guests, that they get to choose what we play first. So, you're the guest, Dobby, what would you like to play?"

Little tears sparkled at his eyes, but Dobby snuffed them back. Another thing Master Headmaster had explained to him was that he mustn't be thankful and honored by every concession Master Harry made. He smiled, though, and pointed at the small area containing Harry's art supplies.

"Master Harry and Dobby make pretty pictures, Master Harry?"

"Sure!"

Severus smirked and withdrew to his lab as his son dove into the cabinet with all his art supplies.


After collecting a few supplies, Harry and Dobby moved to the kitchen where they spread everything out. The little boy and the house elf spent almost two hours colouring, drawing, and creating several pieces of art together.

Dobby was able to employ some of his magic (after he politely asked Mistress Prosper for permission) to provide them with colourful glue, glitter, rhinestones, and a few other materials Harry didn't have.

Severus had taken a break at one point, walked into the kitchen and saw the incredible, sparkling, artistic mess it had become, and walked right back out. A few minutes later Echo had found him in the lab and gave him a turkey sandwich and some coffee. The couple had a few stolen moments together, before Echo reluctantly pulled away to prepare lunch for Harry and his guest.

The art mess was cleaned and the supplies were put away. Echo let the two friends attach their pieces of artwork to a bare wall in the kitchen. They had each done a few individual drawings and Echo was caught off guard by the talent Dobby showed in the buildings he drew. Together, the house elf and the boy had created a vivid and wide 2D piece that looked very much like a large house cat, with horns, and was nearly covered all over with a variety of glitter and shiny confetti. The cat was belching bright orangey fire over a snake-like man with white skin and red eyes. The snake man held a wand that was casting a green light.

It caused Echo a touch of the shivers enough that she drew Severus out of his lab to look at it while Harry and Dobby picnicked out in the front yard with fried chicken, coleslaw, biscuits, and pumpkin juice.

Severus eyed the garish piece of artwork, immediately recognising Godric's Hollow in the background. The horned, glittery, fire-breathing cat was whimsical, but the snake-man, as Echo had dubbed him, was all too identifiable to Severus.

"It's ghastly," he couldn't help blurting out softly.

"Dobby wanted to cast an Animating Spell on it. I wouldn't let him." She pointed at the snake man. "That's... that's Voldemort, isn't it, Severus?" she asked, slipping her arm around his.

"It is. Very few people knew that even at that time Voldemort was changing his appearance through a constant infusion of Naga Venom. If he showed himself in 'polite society' he wore a spohisticated glamour of his human face. Godric's Hollow... when he murdered James and Lily, he was parading around like some obscene creature." Severus thenpointed at an odd smudging behind the Dark Lord decorated purely with silver confetti. "Death Eaters."

Echo pointed to two ghostly figure alongside the cat. "Severus, do you think these might be...?" she left the question hanging.

He nodded, feeling a chill down his spine. "James and Lily," he muttered. "Dobby and Harry both did this?"

Echo nodded. "I asked them if they worked on it equally and they said they did, but Harry said he directed what they drew. He's not still having nightmares, is he?"

"I thought they were gone. He hasn't awakened me for any." For a long moment he stared at the eerily accurate figure of Voldemort. He had the unsettling feeling that those red eyes were looking right at him; accusing him. "I'll ask Harry about this later, but as soon as Dobby is gone, we're taking this thing down."


After Dobby and Harry had lunch, Severus took them down to the beach. He kept watch with one eye as he sat upon the sand reading from one of his old Potions jornals.

House elfs were rather buoyant, and Dobby was a rather good swimmer. He kept a very close eye on his Master Harry as the young boy splashed about in the shallow water.

"You can swim, Dobby?" asked Harry.

"Very well, Master Harry. Is you knowing how to swim?"

"Echo's been teaching me. I can dog paddle, but I still swallow lots of water."

"Dobby can teach Master Harry to swim. No magic." Dobby grinned in encouragement.

"Okay!"

Dobby waved the boy closer and Harry walked-pushed himself through the waves over to the elf.

"Master Harry must be floating on belly first." Harry tried to flatten himself on the surface of the water, but only sank. Dobby giggled, caught the boy, and patted his back to dislodge any water.

"How do I do this, Dobby?" asked Harry, spitting into the ocean.

"Dobby hold out arm and Master Harry balance on it. Then, Master Harry swim like fish!"

Dobby made it sound easy, but it took a bit more work than Harry had expected. He managed to balance easily enough on Dobby's arm, but when he was supposed to paddle, he looked more like a flailing, drowning fish, than a swimming fish. At one point, as Harry dipped precariously forward, his foot connected solidly with Dobby's nose.

Harry was immediately apologetic, but Dobby only laughed and healed the bruise. "We house elfs very resilient, Master Harry. Try again. Dobby thinks Master Harry almost swam."

The little boy positioned himself over Dobby's thin arm. His flailing was just as bad as before, but he calmed it down and when Dobby felt the child had the right rhythm, he removed his supporting arm and Harry was swimming. He only went about two feet, but to Harry it felt like miles.

"Dad! Daddy! I can swim!" shouted Harry. He flopped himself into the water and swam an awkward, mostly splashing circle around the house elf, but he wasn't dog paddling.

Severus clapped his hands and smiled. "Excellent, Harry!"

A few minutes later, tired from the swimming, the house elf and the little boy came running up to Severus. Harry collapsed against his father, soaking Severus side.

"Harry! Look what you've done?" growled Severus.

Harry let out a shout as his father's fingers dug into his ribs. Dobby clapped as Severus tickled the wet little boy who squirmed on the sand and only got dirtier.

The house elf cast a few spells to clean father and son, and then dried them off. Severus settled back to his journal, making notes on top of older notes while Dobby and Harry made sandcastles. Once tired of playing in the sand, they went back to the cottage and played catch with Hector in the front yard.

Five o'clock came all too soon for Harry and he was very reluctant to let Dobby go. Dobby hugged him tightly, patted his back, and told Harry he had to help the other house elfs in preparing dinner for Master Headmaster and Mistress McGonagall and the other teachers that were already making their way back to Hogwarts from their vacations. With a bow to Echo and Severus, Dobby popped away and Harry promptly collapsed on the sofa and went to sleep since he'd had no nap that afternoon.

Since Echo didn't care for the large 'Voldemort Drawing' anymore than Severus did, he decided that they all ought to go into the village for dinner. While Harry took an hour long nap, Echo disappeared into her room to get ready. Severus went back to his lab where he packed several phials of potions he'd worked on that afternoon. He wrote a quick note, shrank the box and summoned Hedwig.

He attached the now small box to the owl, and stroked her feathered back. "I've asked for a reply in my letter, so please stay until one is written."

Hedwig nipped his finger and then flew out of the lab, down the hallway, and out the open front window. Severus made sure all was clean in his lab, then left, locked and sealed it, and made his way to his bedroom.

Just as Severus was buttoning up his frock coat, Harry came into his bedroom, his face and green eyes all smiles.

"Why are you dressed up, Dad?" he asked, perching on the big bed.

"I thought it might be nice for all of us to go out for dinner."

"Yay!" Harry clapped his hands together.

"Just go take a quick shower and then put on a nice shirt and your black trousers."

"Okay, Dad!" Harry ran out of his father's bedroom, not closing the door behind him.


The 'Voldemort Drawing' had fallen to a convenient accident as it had supposedly fallen off the wall while they were out to dinner and Hector had chewed the drawing to bits. Harry was upset, but Severus patiently explained that sometimes that was the way dogs behaved and that poor Hector really had no idea he was doing wrong. He was just entertaining himself while his people were gone.

Harry forgave the big familiar, and after the little boy had fallen asleep, Severus rewarded the dog with a half of a steak he'd brought back from the restaurant.

While Hector enjoyed his little reward, Severus changed into his pyjamas, dressing gown, and slippers and then went back to his son's room. Transfiguring Harry's little desk chair into one that was more comfortable, he settled down to watch over his sleeping son.


Sometime in the night Severus had nodded off in the chair beside his son's bed. A sense that something wasn't right woke him with a start. A shaft of moonlight coming in through the window showed his son writhing in his blankets, crying silently. Hector was on the floor, by the window, so he couldn't hear his boy's distress anymore than Severus could.

"Damn!" hissed Severus as he rose from his chair. "Finite Incantatem!" The moment the Silencing Spell Harry's accidental magic had erected ended, the little boy's mewling cries for his father cut Severus to the quick. He disentangled his son from the covers and lifted him into his arms.

"Harry, child, wake up little one." He lightly tapped his son's cheeks and Harry woke with a jerk.

"Snake man killed mummy!" Harry wailed and threw his arms around his father's neck, weeping great sobs against Severus' neck.

"Hush, little one," Severus whispered as he rocked his son and patted his back. "It's all right, Daddy's got you." He looked up, stricken over his son's pain just as Echo walked into Harry's bedroom.

"Take him into the living room, Severus," she said softly. "I'll make some hot chocolate."

As Echo left, Severus could feel Harry's tears tapering off. Summoning an afghan, he wrapped it over his son's shoulders and carried him out to the living room. Once settled in his chair by the fireplace, his son's weeping had stopped.

"Harry? Look at me, child," Severus spoke softly. Harry lifted his head and sniffled. Taking a handkerchief from his pocket, he wiped away the tears. "How long have you been having nightmares?"

Harry shrugged and leaned his head against his father's chest so he could hear his steady heartbeat. "Forever."

"I thought they'd stopped after your scar was removed," he muttered mostly to himself. "Can you tell me what your nightmare was about?"

Harry shook his head. "It's mummy and this icky green light and the snake man, Daddy. How did you know to come help me? I've always called you before but you never came."

Echo brought in the hot chocolate and gave a cup to Severus. He blew his breath over the surface of the chocolate, then held the cup to Harry's lips and had him sip a little.

"I never heard you calling me, child. Your accidental magic cast a Silencing Spell so we couldn't hear you."

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to do magic! Please don't spank me! Please!"

Harry became so agitated that he jarred Severus causing some of the hot liquid to spill onto his father's thigh. Severus grimaced at the pain, but was very thankful that Echo took the cup away and quickly cleaned away the spilled chocolate. She summoned a cool cloth and placed it on his thigh while Severus tried to calm down his son.

"Harry!" he finally had to shout. "Stop that!" Harry's entire body went limp in defeat. "Listen to me, child. Accidental magic is perfectly natural. You are a wizard, after all. I am certainly not going to punish you for something that is expected."

"But Aunt Petunia hated it," he whispered, twining his fingers in his father's hair.

Severus gently untangled his son's fingers from his hair. He almost wished he were wearing his frock coat so Harry's nervous hands could pick at the silk covered buttons.

"Your Aunt Petunia was a cruel and prejudiced woman, Harry. What she told you about magic was wrong."

"So I won't get spanked?" He tried to stick his thunb into his mouth but Severus caught the little hand and wove his fingers through his son's. Harry let out a soft sigh at his father's firm, but gentle grip.

"Certainly not," He shifted his son in his lap a little more comfortably and took the cup of hot chocolate back to give Harry another few sips. "I take it your Aunt would get upset with you when you had nightmares?"

"Uh huh. I got spanked and my blanket was taken away, so I started wishing that no one would hear my nightmares and I didn't get punished anymore."

"Ah. Have you been making a wish that you wouldn't disturb us?" he asked gently.

Harry nodded. "I just didn't want to wake anybody up, but then, I'd get trapped in the nightmare and even though I knew you couldn't hear me, I still wanted you but you never came!"

"I'll be able to hear you call if you don't make that wish again. Echo and I don't mind at all if you wake us." He kissed his son's brow.

Harry glanced over at Echo. She smiled and tucked a lock of hair behind his ear, "I'll make hot chocolate anytime you have a nightmare, sweetheart. Don't you ever worry about bothering me. All right?"

"M'kay." Harry yawned and this time managed to sneak his thumb into his mouth, putting an end to any further discussions. Severus nudged Harry's thumb from his mouth, adjusted the afghan around his son and gently nudged the boy's head against his chest. Echo picked up the cups, took them to the kitchen, and when she came back out, she lightly kissed Severus cheek.

"Thank you, dear one," he whispered, caressing her hand before she retired to her bedroom.


At about eight o'clock the next morning Echo padded out into the living room to find Harry still curled up on his father's lap and Severus snoring softly with his son's head tucked under his chin. She gently levitated the child back to his bedroom and tucked him in. Hector climbed up onto the bed, not really sleepy, but guarding over his boy, just in case. When Echo re-entered the living room, Severus was standing and stretching the muscle ache out of his back.

"I'm getting too old to have a little boy sleep on my lap all night," he grumbled.

Echo smiled and kissed his stubbled cheek. "Stop complaining, Severus. Before you know it, he's going to be too big for your lap."

Severus didn't reply as he stretched again. He knew Echo was right. He wondered just when he'd become so fiercely attached to the child. "My son," he murmured softly. Echo didn't hear him since she was already in the kitchen. He smiled and headed to his bedroom and into his bathroom to freshen up.

A little later, dressed in a casual pair of dark grey trousers and a white shirt, Severus entered the kitchen. The savory aroma of sausage and eggs tickled his olfactory senses. Slipping his arm across Echo's back, he gave her a quick peck on the cheek, and stepped over to prepare his morning coffee.

"Severus," she began tentatively, "have you ever considered therapy?"

"What? For me?" he nearly dropped too many coffee beans into the grinder.

"Of course not you! I meant for Harry's nightmares. I've been thinking, and I know I'm overstepping my boundaries here, but maybe it's something to consider?"

"You do realise, of course, that the Mental Health field in the wizarding world isn't quite as advanced as that of the Muggle world is, don't you?"

"Actually, Severus, the United States is far more advanced than wizarding Europe is. One of the girls I went to school with pursued a career in the field of Mental Health. Her specialty is wizarding children."

Severus ground the coffee beans by turning the crank. He stared for a moment at Echo until she shifted uneasily under his gaze at her back. "How long have you been thinking of this?"

"Only since last night. I do remember a bit from my Potions class and I know that children Harry's age cannot take Dreamless Sleep Potion."

"No, they cannot."

She shrugged and scraped the eggs onto a serving platter. "It's merely a suggestion."

"I do appreciate the thought, Echo. For now, I think I might be able to help Harry. I plan to just get him to talk to me about his nightmares and why they still frighten him." He took the platter of eggs to the table and with a wave of his hand he cast a spell that set the table with silverware, plates, and glasses.


Vernon Dursley woke in the morning, late, slipped into his dressing gown and slippers, and then trudged down the stairs. He went to the front door to get his morning newspaper. As he opened the door, he ducked and let out a shout as something white flew through the door, let out a hoot, and then perched on his recliner.

"What the...?"

Hedwig hooted again and showed him the small box tied around her leg.

"Hmph. You're my nephew's bird." Vernon approached the owl cautiously. "You'd best not bite or I'll find a cat to feed you to."

Hedwig's hoot was indignant and she shook her leg at the large man. Vernon grumbled more under his breath, stretched his hands towards the owl, and quickly untied the package from her leg.

Hedwig ruffled her feathers and then flew over to the mantle where she began preening her feathers.

In that moment, Vernon let out a shout as the box suddenly enlarged itself.

Hedwig hooted loudly. Vernon glared at the owl. "Don't blame me! Can't say I was expectin' that!" He bent awkwardly and picked up the box, carrying it into the kitchen. Hedwig followed, flying into the kitchen so she could perch on the refrigerator. She hooted twice and blinked in a demanding manner at him.

"Hang on, bird. Duds got you some owl feed..." he began opening cabinets. "Now, where did he put... ah!" He found the box of owl food, poured out a small handful and put it up on the refrigerator next to Hedwig.

Hedwig hooted haughtily at the small pellets.

"It's either that or a tomato, you stuck up beast." Hedwig let out a soft hoot of resignation and began to eat the pellets.

Vernon went over to the box and saw that it was a wooden slat box. The lid was nailed on, so he looked under the kitchen sink for his toolbox. He took out his hammer and quickly removed the nails. Lifting the lid, he looked down at a bed of fine straw that cushioned six bottles and several dozen phials. There was a letter tucked into one side so he withdrew it and began to read.

Mr. Dursley,

Consider this my olive branch. These are potions I brewed that will work for non-magical humans. The small phials are single dose and for your use. They will ease your craving for alcohol and ease minor withdrawal symptoms. Take no more than up to three a day. If you require more, just let me know. You should not need the potion after a year.

The larger bottles contain a Nutrition Concentrate that will aid in you and your son's weight loss goals. It will provide necessary minerals and vitamins in addition to speeding up your weight loss, safely. Dosage is one teaspoonful at mealtime in any beverage of your choice. Juice is best. It is tasteless, so it will not affect the flavor of your drink. Keep the potion in a cool storage place. You have a six month supply. I shall send more in six months.

I would appreciate a reply letting me know that this box arrived safely.

Severus Snape

Vernon picked up a phial, held it up to the light and then picked up a potion bottle in his other hand.

"Hunh, I suppose..." he began dubiously.

Hedwig hooted several times and unfurled her wings, beating them once against her sides.

"Fine! Fine!" snapped Vernon Dursley. "We'll try 'em, but keep your bloody advice to yourself, bird!"

Hedwig let out a soft, smug coo as she nestled her head under a wing. The peaceful aura of magical influence in the Dursley household was settling in. The elder Dursley had understood her almost as well as her boy did!

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2497