Take Two by etherian
Summary: This is the sequel to Harry Potter's Second Chance. You really ought to read that first or you'll be a bit lost. Voldemort is completely dead. Harry is 6 years old after having de-aged himself with an ancient and illegal potion. Albus is dying, but Severus hopes to gain permission to brew the same potion and save the old wizard.

Canon (more or less) up til the end of the fourth book, AU after that. Be aware that Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes was begun after the war, and the twins did not attend their 6th year.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: Second Chance
Chapters: 59 Completed: Yes Word count: 220316 Read: 231984 Published: 03 Apr 2011 Updated: 03 Apr 2011
Chapter 36 by etherian

Draco, still in his pyjamas, dressing gown, and slippers walked into the kitchen yawning and following the delicious odour of bacon and eggs. He was absolutely caught off guard as he was enveloped in a sweet embrace and his cheek was briefly was kissed.

"AUGH!" He fell backwards onto the floor and blinked blearily as his godfather held out a hand to him. He grabbed the proffered hand and was pulled to his feet. He glanced over at Echo who had a very satisfied look upon her face. He smirked, "Not that I'm not pleased at the attention, but Hermione has vowed to kill me if I even look at another woman."

"Don't get so full of yourself, Draco," sneered Echo good-naturedly. She then smiled and waved her hand under his nose.

Draco's eye blinked at the dazzle of emerald and silver and he caught Echo's hand to get a better look at the ring. He then shot a smug look at his godfather.

Severus' hand slipped under Echo's and his fingers laced lightly through hers. "As I'm told this is your fault, Mr. Malfoy, I shall expect you to stand as my best man."

Draco's jaw dropped. Letting go of Echo's hand, Severus tapped the young man's chin and his mouth snapped shut. "Really? Me, Uncle?"

"Really, you, Draco," Severus smirked.

Taking on the formality that had been ingrained into him from birth, Draco bowed slightly. "I'd be honored to stand with you, Uncle Severus."

Severus returned the bow. "Thank you, Draco." Echo went back to the stove and turned the cooking bacon as the older wizard requested of the no longer sleepy Slytherin, "Would you mind seeing what's taking my lazy son so long this morning?"

"Sure thing." Before turning fully out of the kitchen, he grinned. "Congratulations, to both of you!"

A few minutes later Draco returned towing a disgruntled little sleepy-head behind him, dragging his dragon partially upon the floor.

"What happened to the little boy who wouldn't let me sleep in on Saturday?" teased his father as he took the stuffed dragon from Harry's hand and sent it flying back to his bedroom.

"I was dreaming of sailing my steamboat," he pouted. Severus patted Harry's shoulder and nudged him over to the table.

Echo levitated over the full plates for breakfast and when she sat down beside Severus, he spoke, "If you'd wait, Harry?" The child glowered, but his father ignored the attitude. "I think that Echo and I have some news you'd be pleased about."

Harry perked up. "Am I gonna be a big brother?"

Draco snorted and Severus smacked the Slytherin's shoulder. He grit his teeth for a second, then replied. "No, son, you're not going to be a big brother. Something else needs to happen first, if you recall?"

Severus lifted Echo's hand so he could see the ring. Harry climbed up to his knees and leaned over his breakfast plate so he could see it.

"It's pretty, Dad," he said, a little puzzled. "But, it's not Echo's birthday, is it?"

"No, son. I've asked Echo to be my wife and your mother."

Harry jumped off his chair, let out an excited shout, danced around the kitchen floor, and then nearly tackled Echo with a big hug. "MUM!" He then turned rapidly and hugged his father. "Thank you, Daddy!" He turned again and gave Echo a second hug.

"All right," chuckled Severus softly. "That's enough, Harry. Your breakfast is getting cold."

Harry trotted back over to his place and sat down. He took a few bites of his bacon and then looked up. "So, when do we get married?"


It was just after Severus notified Albus of his affianced state, that something crashed into the front picture window. Harry shouted for his father from the front yard and he rushed outside.

Echo, who had been taking Harry through his spelling lessons, was kneeling down by something that resembled a fist-sized dustball. She picked it up very carefully in her cupped hands.

"It's that insane bird of the Minister's, Severus. Really, he needs to get a new one and give this one back to his son," she declared with a shake of her head.

"Is it dead, Dad?" asked Harry worriedly as he stroked the fragile little body of the owl.

"I'll make the suggestion to Arthur," he said softly.

"Da-ad?" persisted Harry.

"I think Pigwidgeon is just stunned, Harry, but let's get him to the kitchen where I can get a better look at him," directed Severus.

Draco had been walking Hector during Harry's spelling lessons and came in the backdoor just as Severus and his little entourage walked through the front.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

Harry informed him, "Pigwidgeon flew into the window and knocked himself out."

"Who's Pigwidgeon?" He tried to get a look at what was in Echo's hands and saw what looked to him like a pile of grey down.

Severus replied as he took the bird from Echo and placed it on the table. "Ronald Weasley's owl, but his father has been using it lately to communicate with Albus and myself."

"Is that the hyperactive bird that kept crash landing in everybody's oatmeal in the Great Hall last term?" sneered Draco. He recalled a grey owl that could barely fly a straight path that had landed one morning right into his scrambled eggs.

Severus didn't reply as he was too busy examining the unconscious owl. He had removed the small scroll from the bird's leg and it sat, ignored, on the edge of the table.

"Broken wing," sighed Severus. "It's a clean break, so I'll have him up and heading back to Arthur tomorrow. Draco, in my lab. I need some Skele-Gro for Animals. Make sure it has 'Animals' on the label." Draco ran off and Severus shouted over his shoulder, "The password is 'Midnight Rose'!"

At the same time Echo groused, "Ouch, Severus! That was right in my ear!"

"Got it, Uncle!" Draco's voice shouted back.

"Sorry about that, my dear. Would you transfigure a few things into splints and a soft strip of cloth?" Echo went to the silverware drawer and began to transfigure napkins and silverware into what Severus needed. "Harry, would you get about a handful of Hedwig's food for Pigwidgeon?"

"Sure, Dad." Harry walked over to a low cabinet and began looking for Hedwig's food.

Echo had the splints and the bandage and Severus positioned her at his side, cupping the owl's body while he gently unfolded the broken wing.

"Pig's starting to wake up, so just hold him steady while I set the wing," instructed Severus as he took out his wand. "The feeling the spell causes is irritating, so hold him firmly, but don't squeeze."

"I've got him," she said softly.

Severus held his wand over the wing and Echo could hear a very soft 'snick' as bone met bone. Pigwidgeon let out an 'eep' of protest and tried to get away, but Echo held the little bird in place, cooing softly to him.

A few minutes later, Severus had bound the wing with the splints and Draco had brought the Skele-Gro for Animals. Using an eye-dropper that Draco had the forethought to bring, the Potions Master administered a measured 10 drops of the bone mending elixir.

"Can Pig use this bed I made, Dad?" Harry held out a small box that he'd put a bunch of cotton balls in. In the bed was a demitasse cup with owl feed in it.

"Very clever, Harry!" complimented Severus. "That will be perfect." He lifted the owl and placed him carefully into the makeshift bed. He then picked up the small scroll from Arthur Weasley. "I'll see what Arthur has to say and then send a letter with Hedwig letting him know about Pigwidgeon."


The short letter wasn't from Arthur, but from Molly who was announcing, rather formally, that she would be starting her own little Primary schoolhouse at the Burrow for up to six students. She explained that with all of her children either at Hogwarts or off on their own, and their recent acquisition of a house elf, she needed something to do. She hoped that Harry Snape might be her first student.

Severus hadn't yet picked out a Primary School for Harry, something he had neglectfully put off because he didn't feel that any of the schools he'd interviewed via owl post were good enough for his son. This would solve that problem as he'd recently begun to see Molly as being more than just a wife, mother, and good cook. She was very good with Harry and had taught him well last term. He wrote a congratulatory reply and confirmed that Harry would be there September 1.

Draco was busy writing a letter to Hermione while Harry and Hector were by the hearth of the fireplace looking down at the recovering owl. His father was on the sofa with Echo beside him.

"Harry," began his father. "Pigwidgeon might sleep easier if that monster of yours weren't looming over him."

"Monster?" asked Harry. "You mean Hector?" Hector gave the Potions Master his best 'I'm-not-a-monster-give-me-some-food-you-mean-bat' look.

"Yes, I do mean Hector." A simple wave of his hand and the small bed with the dozing bird rose up and was placed on the mantle. Another flick of his wrist caused the box to stick to the mantle.

Echo added her own magic by placing a barrier around the bed that would keep the owl from falling off the mantle in case he woke up and wandered off.

"Draco?"

"Yes, Uncle?"

"Almost finished?" asked Severus rising to his feet and over to the front window.

"Five minutes?" asked Draco.

"You have five minutes," drawled Severus as he looked over at his son who was preparing to take out his latest drawing. "Put that back, Harry. We're going to leave for the Market as soon as Draco's finished his letter."

Harry closed the lid of the desk. "Are you going to play chess with Bido?"

"We'll see," smirked his father. "You'd better go to the bathroom now, Harry."

"Dad!" gasped Harry in embarrassment as he glanced pointedly at Draco and Echo.

Severus' gaze was implacable. "Would you prefer I use an Evacuation Spell later on in public?"

Absolutely appalled, Harry sprinted back to his bedroom and into his bathroom.

"Eww," remarked Draco. "You wouldn't really do that, would you?"

"Ask me after you've had one or two children, Draco," remarked Severus acerbically. "Is your love sonnet complete, yet?"

"Very funny, Uncle Severus," Draco rolled up his letter, sealed it, and handed it to his godfather who had opened the front window and was summoning Hedwig.

Harry ran into the living room a few minutes later with a big grin on his face and his arms spread wide. "I'm all ready! Who wants to give me a big hug and kiss?"*

Echo's hand shot up. "Me! I'll volunteer!" She left the sofa and scooped Harry into her embrace and kissed his cheek. He gave her a tight squeeze.

"You're gonna be my mum, Echo," he whispered softly into her ear. "Are you happy?"

"Very happy, Harry." She kissed his cheek again.

As they were going through the front door, Harry declared, rather too loudly, "I can't wait to be a big brother!"

Echo kept the smile upon her face, but deep inside, she felt cold and empty. Oland's cruel words reverberated in her mind, "...you killed my children!"


Harry and Draco had thoroughly enjoyed the Sunday Market in the village. Severus' son, the shiny obsessed raven, tried to stop and look at everything that dazzled his eye. He introduced Draco to Bido proudly describing the blonde-haired wizard as 'my bodyguard'. Bido tried to talk the older wizard into a game of chess, but Severus declined. He was becoming concerned about Echo.

Echo enjoyed the Market and most especially loved the process of bartering for a better price on goods. She had not initiated any such negotiations, and had been uncharacteristically quiet most of the afternoon. Severus had planned on them taking dinner out, but he had a feeling that he needed to find out what the problem was.

Leaving earlier than planned turned out to be a good idea as Harry was growing cranky. A little after four they headed back to the cottage.

Harry wasn't at all in the mood for a nap when they returned home and insisted on playing some more with Draco. When Draco tried to tell Harry he was tired too and was going for a nap, the recalcitrant child struck out wildly with his fist, connecting painfully with the blonde wizard's cheek.

"Harry James Potter-Snape! That was uncalled for!" exclaimed Severus as he picked up his son, plopped him over his knee and delivered three, sharp swats to his backside. Severus then set his son back on his feet and pulled him between his knees. His dark eyes glinting with his restrained anger, Harry's father very firmly scolded, "Don't you EVER hit anyone! Do you understand me?"

"I... I... j-j-ust wanted to-to-to play more, Daddy!" he let out a wailing sob and rubbed his stinging backside.

Severus cupped his son's face in his hands gently, "Playtime is over for today, Harry. You're cranky and tired, as you can well see. You also hit Draco and you hurt him. I don't ever want you to do that again. To anyone."

Harry felt horrid that he hurt Draco, his bestest friend in the whole world, and as he looked toward the older boy, he could see the faint red mark from his fist on Draco's pale cheek. "I didn't mean to, Daddy," he sniffled.

Severus let go of Harry. "Apologise to Draco, son." He nudged the little boy towards his godson.

"I'm so sorry, Draco," Harry sniffled again, and his breath hitched. "I'm sorry I hurt you. Do you hate me now?" More tears flowed down his cheeks.

"Aww, Snapelet," Draco knelt and pulled the boy into a big hug. "I'm always going to love you even when you're a prat." He pulled back, smiled, and winked. Then he stood up. "C'mon, little guy. Let's go and take a nap so we've got a big appetite for dinner, okay?" Draco held his hand out to Harry who took it.

"Harry?" Severus called gently and held out his arms. Harry ran into the hug, squeezed, and sighed when his father kissed his cheek. "I love you."

"I love you, too, Dad." He smiled, then turned and walked with Draco back to his bedroom where Draco tucked him in. Harry drew his dragon up to his chin, shifted, and then turned just as Draco started to leave.

"Draco, would you stay in here with me? Please?" Harry asked plaintively. He knew Draco forgave him, but he still felt really bad for striking out at the older boy.

Draco smirked and kicked off his shoes and threw his robes over a chair. "Scoot over, Snapelet." Harry did so and Draco lay down, making himself comfortable on top of the covers.

"You want some blanket?" asked Harry.

"Nah, I'm good." Harry turned and threw an arm across Draco's chest. "You comfy?"

Harry yawned. "Yeah. Draco?"

"Snapelet?"

If you're Daddy's godson, would that kind of make you like my big brother?"

Draco smiled and brushed several long strands of black hair from Harry's cheek. "I always wanted a little brother, Harry." The little boy snuggled closer and rested his cheek against Draco's shoulder.

"Love you, big brother," murmured Harry happily.

"Go to sleep, little brother." Draco sighed contentedly.


Severus went to the kitchen to fix tea, without the aid of magic, and glanced into the living room once or twice at Echo. She had curled up on one end of the sofa hugging a sofa pillow to her chest as she stared into the heatless fire she'd started in the fireplace. Soon, the tea was ready and he carried the cups into the living room where he handed one to Echo.

"Chamomile with a blackberry infusion," he informed her as he purposefully sat in his chair instead of beside Echo on the sofa.

Echo smiled wanly. "Thank you, Severus." She wrapped her hands around the teacup and sipped from it.

"Will you tell me what has so distanced you from us today, my dear?" he asked carefully.

Echo knew Severus would ask. She'd hoped he would ask. She sighed in relief at the question, but her heart still ached at what she was about to tell him.

"I don't know if I can give you children, Severus." She took another sip of the tea, and kept her gaze aimed towards the fragrant liquid.

"Your miscarriages," he replied sympathetically. He recalled, after her kidnapping by her ex-husband, Echo had related to Severus how Oland had wanted a child and when they had tried, she had miscarried, twice. Oland had accused her, in the cave, of having killed his children.

"I know how much Harry wants to have a little brother or sister, and I would dearly love to give you a child, but I'm not sure I can. If I lost a third..." As a tear glistened down her cheek, Severus put down his tea, and moved over to the sofa. He pulled her close, being careful not to jostle her tea.

"We will consult with a Healer at St. Mungo's in order to discover what the problem might be. If it means we cannot have children, then I would have no objection to adopting a child."

Echo placed a hand over her abdomen. Severus placed his own on top of hers. "There's something else I'm afraid of."

"What would that be, love?"

"The spells that Oland used on me... the gaps in my memory... what if he hurt me?"

Severus kissed her cheek and whispered, "We shall figure this out, sweet Echo. It will be all right." He would not reveal to her that ever since he'd learned of the coercive magic that Childermass had used upon Echo during their marriage, he had thought of, and worried, that there might be such unseen, long-term effects. He intended to find the best Healer in the wizarding world to not only help discover what Echo's infertility problem might be, but to make certain she still wasn't under the influence of some lingering curse.

Echo banished her tea and sent the cup to the kitchen. She then curled closer to Severus. Her heart feeling lighter than it had all day.

The End.
End Notes:
*Thanks to i-am-a-bit-irked's 8 year old for the "hug and kiss" quote.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2497