Take Two by etherian
Summary: This is the sequel to Harry Potter's Second Chance. You really ought to read that first or you'll be a bit lost. Voldemort is completely dead. Harry is 6 years old after having de-aged himself with an ancient and illegal potion. Albus is dying, but Severus hopes to gain permission to brew the same potion and save the old wizard.

Canon (more or less) up til the end of the fourth book, AU after that. Be aware that Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes was begun after the war, and the twins did not attend their 6th year.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: Second Chance
Chapters: 59 Completed: Yes Word count: 220316 Read: 231939 Published: 03 Apr 2011 Updated: 03 Apr 2011
Chapter 37 by etherian

Severus buttoned up a clean, white shirt and glanced at what he'd written before going to sleep last night. It was a story just for his son and what he hoped would be a solution to helping Harry with his recurring nightmares.

Beside the story was a letter to Hogwarts Medi-witch, Poppy Pomfrey. In that letter he explained about Echo's fertility problems and the possibility that coercive magic might have something to do with it. He was asking her for a recommendation on who might be the best Healer to take Echo to.

Looking up at the sound of laughter, he could see Harry and Draco playing 'keep away' around the large olive tree.

Severus paused for several minutes in his dressing as he watched and savored the pure, unadulterated joy on the faces of both boys. Draco, who, for a long time, never felt he had much in the way of a future to look forward to, had taken Severus aside last night to speak to him about the seriousness of his relationship with Hermione Granger.

"Uncle Severus, you wouldn't object to me and Hermione do you?" Draco asked nervously as he turned his teacup around in his hand.

"Certainly not," Severus replied, a little surprised by the question. "I do expect you to behave in an honorable manner towards Miss Granger and should you both choose to marry, I would advise that you wait until your education at Hogwarts is complete."

"Oh! No, Hermione has already said that's out. She's okay with us planning to marry after we finish school. Especially since I told her it wouldn't bother me if she became apprenticed with someone, or went to University."

Severus eyebrow rose sceptically and Draco fidgeted on the sofa under the steady gaze. "Is that really the truth?"

"Yeah!" Draco exclaimed a bit too abruptly. "I mean... she wouldn't have to work. Ever. I told her so, but Hermione..." he sighed heavily. "You know Hermione."

"I believe I do, Draco. The young lady, no doubt, was first, a bit insulted at your implication towards completely supporting her, and then she was adamant about 'contributing her fair share'?"

Draco's eyes widened. "How'd you know she said all that? Merlin! I had to hide in the broom cupboard when I reminded her how much money I had."

"A bit brainless saying that, wasn't it?" smirked Severus knowingly.

"Yeah. Stubborn woman she is," and Draco smiled, his feelings for Hermione completely transparent. "I just wanted her to know that I'd always take care of her, but honestly, I don't mind at all if she wants to work. I'd hate for Hermione to turn into my mother." He grimaced and took a long sip of his tea.

"So, then it is your intention to wed Miss Granger?" asked his godfather.

Draco nodded. "That is, if mother doesn't kill me before the wedding." He sighed and took a sip of the calming tea. "It's bad enough mother's still going on about my disloyalty towards father, but if she hears of me falling in love with... with a... mud..." he pursed his lips tightly together at the insult. "Am I going to lose my mother completely, Uncle Severus?"

Severus could see the loss, and the pain clearly on his godson's face. He hated to admit the fact that for all Lucius Malfoy's faults, he had been the parent to pay attention to his child. The elder Malfoy's love did not come without strings attached, but there had been a few times, more when Draco had been a baby, that Lucius - the Father's affection, overrode Lucius - the Businessman/Death Eater's expectations. Severus had once hoped that, in time and without the influence of the Dark Lord, Lucius might value his son purely for the joy of having a child.

Narcissa Malfoy lacked any of the nurturing nature that made a woman a mother. Two days after the birth of her son, she had disappeared to Italy for six months to recover from the 'hideous ordeal'. When Draco was perfect, the flawless son, Narcissa was pleased to show off her son in Pureblood society's circles. When he wasn't perfect, it always seemed to be a personal attack upon her, and as always, her answer was to run away. Even now she was traveling between Italy and Paris, determined to 'punish' Draco for his supposed sins against his father.

Narcissa did not have the power to take away Draco's birthright, since Lucius was now dead and Draco was the legal Head of the Noble House of Malfoy, but she could hurt her son by dismissing him and disowning the child over the fact he fell in love with a Muggle-born witch.

"I wish I could say otherwise, Draco, but you know the answer to that question as well as I do." Draco's shoulders slumped. "Narcissa staunchly believes in the Pureblood rhetoric, despite the overwhelming evidence in her own family tree of the perils of in-breeding. There is nothing you could say or do to cause your mother to accept Hermione." Severus leaned over and touched Draco's forearm. "Will it be enough that I not only approve, but would be pleased to give you both my blessing, as your godfather at your wedding?"

Draco smiled, put down his tea and yanked out his handkerchief. Pretending there was something in his eyes other than tears, he smiled, thankfully, at his godfather.

Later that night, Harry had awakened the household with his screams from a nightmare. Severus had cuddled with Harry while Echo made hot chocolate. Draco had also come out for hot chocolate, concerned about his little brother. After Severus had seen his son back to his bed and asleep with his dragon, it was Draco that had suggested he write a story for Harry that might help with his nightmares.

"I don't see how that would help," Severus spoke a little too sharply. He was tired, and worried about Harry.

"Don't you remember? When I was three years old and you were taking care of me while mother and father went on vacation that summer? I was having nightmares of the Death Eaters."

Severus nodded as he recalled that back in those days, after the death of Voldemort in Godric's Hollow, Lucius would invite the remaining Death Eaters to Malfoy Manor. It was a grim and frightening time, and not very pleasant for a young child.

"You told me a story about a vampire that I made friends with and he became my guardian that watched over me from the shadows. I didn't have any such scary nightmares after that because I imagined that vampire was lurking in the shadows to kill anything that might try to hurt me in my sleep."

So, even though he really wanted to climb back into his bed and sleep, Severus had taken up his quill and had written a story just for Harry in the hope that images from the story would give him the courage he needed within his nightmares to fight them off.

He was a little out of practice at writing fiction, but once he'd begun, he found himself pleasantly lost in the small world he was creating as his quill scratched determinedly across the parchment. Severus wasn't at all dismayed by the lost sleep when, once finished, he realised it was nearly five o'clock in the morning.

"Severus," said Echo, knocking on his door. He moved from the sight of the two boys scrambling over the tree roots and opened his door. She smiled as he leaned slightly to kiss Echo. "Hedwig's here to escort Pigwidgeon back home and to deliver this morning's letters."

"Perfect. I've one to send to Poppy for her help in finding a Healer."

"You told her?" Echo asked worriedly.

Severus went to retrieve the letter and then touched Echo's cheek. "I trust Poppy with my life, my dear. If I give her the truth, she'll know best whom we may consult with."

"Well, that's good then." She lifted the letter to the Medi-witch from his hand. "You'd better let me take care of these. Remus is late picking up Hector, so I thought you might wish to yell at him." Echo smirked, as she headed down the short hallway.

"Indeed, I do." Going into the living room to the Floo, Severus knelt and once more cringed as his knee cracked. He'd sent his idea to Hermione about a new communication network through charmed mirrors (per the lost invention that Sirius Black had created) and the girl had been predictably excited by the proposal. Hermione continued to keep Severus in the loop on where she was in development, but she had solicited her professor of Charms, Filius Flitwick, to review all her work.

How Sirius Black, whom it seemed never studied for anything since he was too busy pranking the whole of Slytherin House, had managed to create such ingenious devices, was beyond Severus. As loathe as he was to attribute anything to the mutt, Severus had conceded that it would do the man a proper honor if the resultant device were named after him. What that name might be, was anyone's guess as so far, Severus had vehemently vetoed the following names as ridiculous: The Sirius Device, The Black Mirror Network, The Siri Quick Call.

"Professor Lupin's Quarters, Hogwarts!" shouted Severus into the green flames. A few seconds later he stuck his head into the flames and swallowed against the faint impression of his neck being impossibly stretched a long distance, through a two hour time difference to the quarters of Remus Lupin. "Lupin!" He bellowed as his head emerged through Remus' Floo.

Remus limped quickly out of his bedroom, slinging his teaching robes over his shoulders. "Severus! My apologies for my lateness, but Minerva..."

"Fine! Fine! Just come and get Hector, would you?" snapped the Potions Master shortly. His head vanished and a few minutes later Remus had stepped through to the cottage on Solanus Isle.

The werewolf wavered slightly from the long distant Floo travel. When he didn't recover, Severus directed him over to a chair. He didn't flinch as the Potions Master grasped his chin and examined his eyes.

"Your pupils are dilated, Lupin. Did you just take the Symptoms Relief Elixir?" he asked in concern. It was a few days after the full moon.

Remus nodded. "The third one. I seem to get dizzy when I Apparate or Floo travel, but it passes quickly."

"Hmm. The distance might have prolonged the dizziness, but... stay still, Lupin." Taking out his wand, he ran a diagnostic. "That's good. It's not an indication of bleeding. Did this happen at all with either the first or second versions of the elixir?"

"No, Severus. I would have recorded it," Remus assured with a huff.

Severus frowned in annoyance at the wizard and did one more diagnostic spell. He cursed under his breath as he flubbed the spell and repeated it. Light flashed briefly before Remus' eyes and he blinked at the discomfort.

"What the hell was that, Severus?" demanded Remus.

"My apologies, Lupin. I need to perfect my Oculara Diagnostica Spell. The flash was part of the spell working correctly," explained the dark-haired wizard.

"So, what did it tell you?"

"The Valerian root is the problem in the elixir. You're all right, but don't take anymore of the third elixir. I'll work on it," he sighed. "Once you get back with Hector, sit down immediately for ten minutes, and then you'll be fine. I'll come and pick up the dog when we're back."

Remus rose to his feet, glad that the dizziness was now gone. He smiled briefly and carded his hand through his hair. "Thanks, Severus. So, where is my charge?"

Both Remus and Severus looked around the living room. Echo and Draco had been waiting patiently, but Harry was nowhere in sight. Draco pointed towards the backdoor. The two men faced the door just as Harry entered with his large familiar.

"Hi Remus!" greeted Harry. "Here's Hector." He pushed the dog towards the sandy-grey haired wizard.

Hector snuffled Remus and recognised him from his time at Hogwarts.

Tweedy wizard. Not food, but is nice to my boy. Good.

Hector glanced over at his boy as he understood he was being sent away for awhile. The dog was about to put on his best 'pouting puppy face' when his magnificent olfactory senses picked up a wonderful scent. Hector shoved his nose at Tweedy wizard's pocket.

FOOD!

Remus chuckled, shoved his hand into his pocket, and retrieved a hard, bacon flavoured dog biscuit. "Is this what you're looking for, Hector?"

Hector barked and was pleased to be quickly given the biscuit. It was practically inhaled in seconds. Hector gave his boy a quick lick, but he was going to follow Tweedy wizard for awhile. He hoped the wizard had lots more food so he could just laze around on his back with a full belly.

Severus and Harry watched as Remus left with Hector. The dog hadn't looked back once.

"That dog is too easily swayed by food," groused Severus.

Harry shrugged. "Hector and I talked. He'd've stayed with us if I asked him to."

"Harry, you know that Hector will be fine with Remus, don't you?"

Harry nodded, then said sadly, "But, what if he forgets me?"

"Hector loves you and is completely devoted to you, son. I promise he won't forget you." Severus waited until his son finally gave him a small smile. Now they could leave! "Well, we're late, so we're going to Apparate to the docks instead of walking," announced Severus. "Harry, Draco, make sure you haven't forgotten anything."

Both boys shook their heads. Harry pointed to his little dragon backpack. Severus nodded and smiled. Within moments, Echo had Apparated with Harry, and Severus with Draco. They were now at the docks of Solonus Isle.


Draco looked askance at the steamship that was coughing and wheezing its way towards them. Glancing quickly over his shoulder, his mournful gaze swept over the gorgeous lines of a beautiful tall ship that was black, with gold trim, and had deep red sails with painted, sinuous phoenixes on them. He felt his godfather's index finger tapping his chin. When he looked up, his godfather was silently amused at him. Draco scowled.

"That thing looks like it might sink... or blow up," Draco spat scathingly.

"I assure you, that it's decrepit looks are deceptive," smirked Severus. "It's quite sea-worthy."

"Snape!" shouted Harley Walnut, waving his grimy, red handkerchief. "Hey, Echo!" The Livingston bumped into the pier and Draco stepped back, bumping into Severus.

"Good day, Mr. Walnut!" greeted Severus.

"It's good to see you, Harley!" grinned Echo.

"Harley!" Harry didn't hesitate and began climbing aboard. Harley caught the enthusiastic child before he wound up falling off the pier and into the water.

"Harry! My co-pilot. Good to see ya again." Harley helped everyone aboard and laughed at the poncey blonde who disdained his hand. "You wanna take it, lad, or drop into the drink?"

Draco looked at the dark blue water, then sighed. Like Hermione kept chastising him, he needed to stop assessing people on just their looks. Harley Walnut looked and sounded like an uncouth, beneath-his-notice Squib, but Harry and Severus both thought well of the man. Echo was friends with Harley.

Gritting his teeth, he stuck out his hand and Harley gripped it firmly and guided him aboard. The Squib leaned close, and grinned, "It's just dirt and grease, lad. Hot water and soap's all that's needed to conquer it." He thumped a convivial hand to Draco's back, making him almost trip as he headed over to the shelter where Severus was already transfiguring cushions into comfortable chairs to make the trip more amenable.

Harry had given his dragon backpack to his father, after he'd gotten out his own red handkerchief, and then began trailing Harley. Draco watched as his little brother- he couldn't help but smile at that- at Harley's direction kicked the belching stove at the center of the boat until it let out a horrendously smelly burp and deposited soot all over Harry. Harry jumped and laughed at the result of what he'd done. Severus shook his head and mumbled something about 'brewing a degreaser'.

"Draco," Echo nudged his shoulder. "Would you rather stay clean and just be an observer all day, or do you want to get dirty, too?" Echo had seen that small glimmer in Draco's grey eyes that reflected a wistful little boy that often had to watch other children play while he stayed back, the clean, perfect Malfoy prince.

Draco hesitated for a second, then tossed off his outer robe, rolled up the sleeves of his shirt, and went over to Harley and Harry. "Is there something I can do?" he asked eagerly.

Harley grinned. "C'mon, you look old enough to steer. Help me navigate this old lady."

Draco picked up on the nuances of steering the old steamboat rather quickly and he beamed with pride as he was left on his own the moment they left the port behind and were circumnavigating the island. Harry was stuffing the pot-bellied stove, Louisa (aka Wheezy) with wood while Severus kept an eye on his son, making sure he wouldn't burn his fingers. Harley strode between the two boys and made sure everything kept the Livingston puttering along until the afternoon sun settled overhead.

Echo pulled Draco away from his post for lunch while Severus did his best to Scourgify as much of the grime off his son.

"Spells is one thing, Snape," chuckled Harley as he leaned against one of the poles that supported the red and white canvas that provided shade against the sun. "Ain't ever gonna get that muck off unless ya use some soap and water."

Grabbing a bucket, Harley went to the side of the boat, dipped the bucket, bringing it up full with water and then found a rough soap bar that he handed to Harry. Severus gave the man a nod of thanks before instructing Harry to scrub his hands clean.

"I brought a sandwich for you, too, Harley," said Echo as she handed one to Severus and then to Draco after she checked his hands were clean.

"Thanks, Echo. I could do with a nosh." He looked down into the cooler. "One of those expanding spelled things?" he asked.

She nodded. "I've a whole turkey dinner for tonight, plenty of drinks, and even some chocolate frogs."

Harley's pupils dilated and his mouth rounded into an 'O'. "Chocolate frogs, eh?"

Echo chuckled as she rummaged in the cooler and pulled out one of the Chocolate Frog boxes. She tossed it and Harley caught it. The Squib quickly unwrapped the frog, caught it as it jumped, and bit into it. For a moment, his greasy, sooty expression was one of bliss as he savored the chocolate. He then sighed, happily, and looked at the collectible card.

"Heh. 'Hero of the Final Battle," Severus couldn't stop the partial sneer as he pictured the teenaged Harry Potter on the gilt-edged card. Harley continued reading from the card, "Spy for the Light, Potions Master, Extraordinaire, Severus T. Snape." Before he could finish reading the smaller printed details, Severus had snatched the collectible wizard card from the steamboat owner's hand.

"A card? They put ME on a card?" gasped Severus. Draco had scooted closer to peer over his godfather's shoulder.

"Oohh! 'Vanquisher of the Mad Witch, Bellatrix Lestrange'. Wicked, Uncle Sev!" crowed Draco. "Uh-oh!" Draco actually paled at the last sentence.

Echo read it, and she did her best to stifle a giggle. "Oh my! That's bad!"

Harley read, "'Witch Weekly's Most Eligible Bachelor'. How 'bout that?"

"I am going to sue them," Severus ground out through his clenched teeth determinedly.

"You look like you're really mad at someone," observed Harry about the photo as he insinuated himself under his father's arm and against his thigh so he could see the card, too.

"I think your father looks rather dashing," giggled Echo.

Severus scoffed, "I do not!"

"I think Harry's got it," teased Draco. "Isn't that the look you give Longbottom after he's exploded one of his potions?"

"Move down wind, boy," Severus snarled at Draco. "You smell." He waved his hand pointedly in front of his nose.

Draco snorted, then laughed as he moved away from his godfather to finish his sandwich.

Severus flipped the card over his shoulder to Harley and then pushed Harry towards Echo. "You smell, too. Get your lunch and go stand by Draco." When Harry glanced over his shoulder to see if he was being insulted or if he'd done something wrong, his father winked quickly at him and smirked.

"Can I have your autograph?" asked Harley from behind him.

Now Severus twisted in his seat. "What? No!"

"Aw, c'mon, Perfessor. Worth a lot more with yer signature on it." Harley shoved the offensive card and a quill at the wizard who grumped, noisily, in disapproval, but signed the stupid card with a flourish.

"If you sell it, make sure it's to the highest bidder," the famous wizard snapped. "Especially since it's incorrect about my 'eligibility'." He picked up Echo's hand and kissed her fingertips.


Harley sat beside Draco with his hand over Draco's on the rudder as they carefully navigated the Livingston inland. The channel they were on was just wide enough to allow them to pass. Under the shelter Harry was curled up in his father's lap. He'd been asleep for the last fifteen minutes. Echo had just recently nodded off as well, and Severus was very tempted to allow his eyes to close for a bit.

They all came brightly awake, though, as Harley announced that they'd reached their destination. While Draco helped Harley to tie off the steamboat to a large tree, Severus helped Echo out onto land and then handed Harry off to her before leaping gracefully out himself.

They had come to a secluded cove that was a graceful niche in the island hiding a narrow waterfall that tumbled over a natural step formation of rocks and ended in a nearly turquoise pool of pure water. Surrounded by the stone walls of the island and very old olive trees, the grass was green and sprinkled with a variety of herbs and wildflowers. It was a touch of Eden known, according to Harley, to only a few.

Draco thanked Harley for letting him help with the steamboat and then went to join his godfather and little brother.

"Are you sure you won't come with us, Harley?" asked Echo.

"I'm not real fond of land, Echo. You all enjoy yerselves. Ya know where to find me if ya need anythin'." He waved and then settled down for a siesta out of the sun.

Getting through the trees into the 'garden' with the waterfall was only a short trek. Everyone stopped to appreciate the beauty of the small, hidden valley.

"Can we swim, Dad? Can we? Please?" Harry started bouncing in front of his father.

"Let me get our tent set up, then you can change into your swim trunks and go play," replied Severus as he took something that looked like a small teabag from his robes pocket. Tapping it with his wand and then tossing it towards an area clear of trees as it expanded, there was soon a large tent with green and silver stripes trimmed in green. The tent settled on the ground with an odd sigh. Another tap of his wand, and the tent was unsealed.

Echo peeked inside. "Oh! I just love these magical tents!" She disappeared into the tent and was soon followed by Harry, then Draco, and lastly Severus.

The interior of the tent was splendidly laid out with all the luxuries most wizards and witches were often loathe to leave behind when 'roughing it'. This tent had three bedrooms, although small, with comfortable cots. The main room had a dining area, and a seating area that was more like something out of an Arabian Nights Seraglio. There were large sitting pillows covering the floor in colourful fabrics. Soft rugs were scattered further to cushion the floor.

None of that mattered when Harry moved aside a curtain and shouted with glee, "A loo!"

Draco snorted and then bent over laughing as he gave up trying to hold in his mirth.

Severus shook his head and pulled the handful of their luggage from his pocket. A wave of his hand had the bags returned to full size. "Here," he said to Harry and Draco, "if you want to swim, then get dressed. Harry, bring a bar of soap with you. There's no way our tent shower can handle the grease that's on you."

"Okay, Dad!" Harry chose a bedroom and disappeared inside with his bag of clothing.

"I take it Harry and I are sharing a room," the Slytherin waggled his eyebrows teasingly.

"If you'd like to keep those, Little Dragon, you'd best disappear. Now." Threatened Severus.

Echo grabbed her bag and started towards her room, sniggering softly, when Severus caught her around the waist.

"And just where do you think you're going, Miss Prosper?" His eyes glinted suggestively and his silken voice seemed to pour over her skin.

"I'm getting into my bathing costume and going into that cold water before I wind up sharing your bedroom, Master Snape." She kissed him quickly and then spun deftly out of his one-armed embrace.

Severus let out a whisper of a groan. He loved the way his body, and his mind, responded to Echo, but his vow to keep from 'knowing' her fully before the Vow of Marriage, was becoming increasingly difficult. He smirked, then, as he glanced towards the drape that hung over her door. Hopefully it was just as difficult for Echo!


"I don't believe it!" gawped Draco as he stopped in mid-splash. Echo, swimming around Harry as he swam with a flail of his arms and legs, stopped as well.

"Oh my goddess!" she gasped.

"Dad!" Shouted Harry, waving. He had no idea what Echo and Draco thought was so odd about his father's appearance.

Severus Snape was probably the only wizard in the magical world that had a completely black bathing costume. Very much in fashion in the Edwardian era (the time in which much of wizarding fashion seemed to be stuck in), it was a one piece of light summer wool that covered the wiry wizard to his elbows and to his knees.

The dark-haired wizard ignored his audience and strode so firmly into the pool beneath the waterfall that the water could have been nothing more than a mirage. Until he hit the cool water at waist height and then he, like any male, became familiar with the upper registers of his voice. Although his eyes widened perceptively, he thankfully emitted no sound until he felt he had control of his vocal chords once again.

Severus frowned darkly at the slight smile upon his fiance's face as she swam over to him. "Don't you dare..."

"A little cold, dear heart?" Echo smirked.

"I've said it before," he sighed melodramatically, "you are a cruel woman, Echo Prosper."

Echo suddenly splashed him and the cold that had been seeping beneath his skin slowly, suddenly, and shockingly, drenched him. The witch leaped away with a squeal of laughter as Severus lunged for her.

Draco and Harry clapped and shouted as Severus swam smoothly through the water, like a shark. Closer, closer, and closer he came to his prey cutting through the water. Severus then dove under the water... and was gone. Echo swam a few more strokes before she realised she was no longer being chased. Her puzzlement was her downfall as she stopped and tread the water as she tried to see under the water. Echo let out a startled yelp and was swiftly yanked beneath the water.

"Dad! Echo!" shouted Harry. He wasn't afraid, because he knew his father could do a lot of things, but he was concerned. Draco caught his little brother before he headed for the deeper water.

Seconds later both adults broke the surface of the water. Severus was chuckling, and Echo was gasping.

"You! You!" she could only manage as she spluttered.

"Speechless, my dear?" he teased. He caught Echo around the waist from behind and kissed her cheek. He then whispered into her ear, "I love you, my darling girl."

Echo leaned back against his chest and grasped his forearms. "I love you, too, my dear Potions Master."


Severus was amazed that even after almost a half hour in the pool, Harry was still sporting greasy smudges from his nose to his fingers. While Echo climbed out to sit in the sunshine, he motioned to Harry as he moved to the shallower water by the edge of the pool.

"Come here, you grease spot!" he called. Harry splashed over and Severus caught him under the arms, flipped him so that the child's back was to his chest, and settled the boy between his legs. "Where is that soap I asked you to bring out here?"

"It's by Mum, Dad," Harry pointed.

Severus gave his son a quick hug before summoning the bar of soap into his hand. Harry had no idea what it did to his heart when he called Echo 'mum'. Merlin's beard! I'd swear that was a warm and fuzzy feeling! he gasped in outrage mentally. 'Tis a good thing I'm ending my teaching career, now. I might slip up and praise a student!

"Dad?" asked Harry as his father cast a spell that would keep the soap out of his eyes and began soaping up his hair.

"Yes, Harry?"

"Are you going to wait forever to marry us to mum... I mean Echo?"

"To be honest, Echo and I haven't really decided on a date to get wed. Have you some input on the wedding?"

Harry couldn't answer right away as his father was rinsing his hair and he might get soapy water in his mouth. When he could, he suggested, "Why not get married now? Maybe here. It's really pretty here."

Severus held out Harry's right arm and scrubbed it with the soap. "That's an interesting idea. Who would we invite, though?"

"Remus and Hector, and grandpa and Aunt Minnie, and Hermione would have to come because she's with Draco. Ron could come too and Molly and Mr. Weasley. Oh, and what about the scary man with the funny eye that's grandpa's best friend?"

Severus rinsed Harry's arm and scowled at a patch of particularly stubborn dirt and wondered if it was grease, or something else. He soaped up the arm again. "You mean Alastor Moody. I suppose he might come, too."

"Ouch!" Harry yanked his arm away. "Too hard, Dad!"

"I'm sorry, son. I think some of this might just have to wear off. I'm beginning to think that Mr. Walnut has been permanently dyed by the soot and grease that comes from his boat." Harry giggled. "Find that funny, do you?" Harry let out a squeal as his father tickled his ribs quickly before soaping up the opposite arm.


The turkey dinner was heartily appreciated and everyone ate more than usual, including a delectable dessert that was made with thin, chocolate cookies that had whipped cream between them and then slathered generously around the 'logs'. Severus, really not one for sweets, actually had three pieces before he had to force himself from the table.

Echo packed the leftovers into the cooler while Harry settled down amongst the nest of pillows with Draco. He leaned back against his brother's chest while Draco had one arm around him as he held the large book of Greek Myths that Hermione had given Harry for his birthday. Draco read softly to the drowsy little boy.

Echo sent the cooler out of the way and then looked around the tent. Someone was missing. "Draco, do you know where your godfather is?"

Draco looked up from his narration and shook his head. "I did see him leave the tent. Maybe he's gone for a walk? He did eat a lot." He chuckled and Echo laughed as well.

"That he did. I don't think I've ever seen someone with such a turkey craving as Severus has." Echo settled herself down on the floor on the other side of Harry. He turned slightly and grasped Echo's hand in his as he yawned.

"You about to fall asleep there, Snapelet?" asked Draco with a smirk as he kissed the little boy's temple.

Harry shook his head. "Nu-uh. Finish the story, Dragon, please?"


An hour later, when Severus returned from his walk, he found his little family curled around his son, sound asleep. Without waking any of them, he used his magic to put them all to bed. Then, with a secret smile upon his face, the wizard took himself to bed.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2497