Take Two by etherian
Summary: This is the sequel to Harry Potter's Second Chance. You really ought to read that first or you'll be a bit lost. Voldemort is completely dead. Harry is 6 years old after having de-aged himself with an ancient and illegal potion. Albus is dying, but Severus hopes to gain permission to brew the same potion and save the old wizard.

Canon (more or less) up til the end of the fourth book, AU after that. Be aware that Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes was begun after the war, and the twins did not attend their 6th year.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: Second Chance
Chapters: 59 Completed: Yes Word count: 220316 Read: 231932 Published: 03 Apr 2011 Updated: 03 Apr 2011
Chapter 42 by etherian

Saturday - very late afternoon

Echo awoke to soft kisses upon her cheeks. She smiled up into the face of her husband.

"Hagrid's entertaining Harry for a bit," Severus silken voice caressed her as he held out his hand to help her up. "Would you care for a little entertainment, my Beauty?"

Echo smiled. "What game shall we play, my lovely Potions Master?"

Severus escorted his wife into their bedroom, as he chuckled, "I've always been fond of 'Hide and Seek'!"

The door closed just as the Silencing Charm went up.


Madame Pomfrey was checking her supplies and preparing a list of potions she'd either have Severus brew, or she'd order. She was checking to 'use by' date of a bottle of Skele-Gro when she was alerted by a wailing cry. Turning briskly she saw Hagrid, very distressed, gingerly carrying a little, sobbing boy in his arms who was holding his arm protectively.

"Oh dear! And term's not even begun, yet,"

The medi-witch put down the bottle of Skele-Gro and was about to ask what had happened when the half-giant blurted, "I broke Lil' 'Arry!"


Dobby nudged the sleeping Potions Master who growled irritably from his half sleep. Echo stirred enough awake to see the house elf through blurry eyes.

"Severus, it's Dobby," she said, and yawned.

"Just tell him to leave..."

"Master Snapes, sir, you come to Infirmary, now!" wailed the elf.

Severus was awake like a shot. Both he and Echo were scrambling for their clothing, both using magic to assist them in dressing. Within seconds Echo was running behind her husband. Mother and father were thinking only of their child.


Harry was not being the best patient he could be and was, in fact, screaming for his Daddy. He was in pain, but he wouldn't allow anyone to get close enough to treat him.

"What the hell is going on?" demanded Severus as he nearly slid right into Madame Pomfrey. Harry's cries were sending unnatural chills, along with guilt, down his spine.

"His accidental magic has thrown up a barrier, Professor," explained the medi-witch. I can't get close enough to treat him. Remus tried, and..." She nodded towards the unconscious DADA professor.

"Harry!" Severus spoke over his son's cries as he moved closer. He could feel the barrier his son had cast, and it was a strong one. He moved as close as it would allow, feeling the power that would toss him aside if he connected to the barrier. "Harry," his voice was gentle, but firm.

Harry sniffled. "Daddy? It hu-u-urts!"

Severus followed his son's gaze to his oddly twisted foot. He swallowed the bile that rose in his throat. It was clearly broken. "I know it does, son. Can you tell Daddy what happened?"

Severus hoped if he could distract his son enough from his injury, that the barrier would fall.

"Me 'n' Hagrid was playin' catch. Hector was really good. I went to run for the ball..." his lower lip wobbled and his little hands gripped the blankets on either side of himself spasmodically. "I tripped, Daddy! My nose hurts an' so does my wrist an' I gots scratches an' my foot hurts!"

The barrier dropped, causing a sudden flash of cold, that dissipated just as quickly. Severus went to Harry's side. Madame Pomfrey was right behind him and casting a Diagnostic Spell.

"Madame will get you fixed right up, son. It won't hurt long," soothed Severus as he ran his fingers through Harry's hair.

"Don't be mad..." he sniffled as his father produced a handkerchief.

"Blow." Harry did so and Severus vanished the soiled linen. A clean one was in his hand, dabbing at his son's tears. "I'm not mad at you."

Harry shook his head. "Not me!" he whispered. "Don't be mad at Hagrid."

"I'm not mad at Hagrid at all," Severus said softly, kissing his son's cheek. Severus glanced up at the medi-witch.

"Broken ankle, twisted wrist, some cuts and bruises," she said matter-of-factly as she summoned various potions. "He'll be right as rain tomorrow." She held a Pain Potion to his lips and Harry drank obediently. He grimaced right on cue.

"Will he be able to attend school on Monday?" asked Severus.

Madame Pomfrey smiled. "He'll be ready to run again by then. Would you hold onto Harry, Severus? I'm going to set the ankle."

Severus wrapped his arms around his son. Harry closed his eyes tightly and put his face against his father's arm. Harry felt a tug, but no pain. Then he felt warmth, and another potion was held to his lips.

"Ugh! That one stinks!" he pulled away from the potion bottle.

"And it tastes just as bad," chuckled Severus. "However, if you don't take it, you'll go to school using crutches."

Harry held his nose and drank down the measure of potion. He gagged and squeezed his eyes shut again. "When I grow up, I'm makin' good tasting potions only!"

"One more, Mr. Potter," said the no-nonsense medi-witch as she held out a small phial.

Harry took the phial, but peered suspiciously at it. He then glanced at his father. "Bone Strengthener. Ankle bones are more fragile and require the extra boost of the Strengthener to make certain everything mends properly."

Harry smiled slightly. "Does it taste bad, too?"

Severus smirked. "Perfectly vile."

Harry downed the small bit of potion and shuddered. He was pleased to see a small glass of pumpkin juice being offered to him by his mother. The sweet juice took away the terrible tastes.

"You can take him back to your quarters, Severus," informed the medi-witch. "Just keep his foot elevated." Madame Pomfrey had already healed the bruises and cuts, and the twisted wrist.

Severus rose and collected Harry into his arms. As he turned, he saw Hagrid for the first time. The half-giant, if anything, looked more miserable than Harry did.

"Thank you for watching and taking care of Harry, Hagrid," nodded Severus.

"I... er... yeah... uhm... sorry about that all, 'Arry," huffed Hagrid in embarrassment to the little boy.

"I had fun, Hagrid. Thanks for bringing me up here," Harry smiled, and with that bright smile, Hagrid knew he was quite forgiven. He smiled and watched as Harry was carried out by his father, his new Mum hovering close by.


Harry was drowsy by the time they returned to their quarters, but not quite enough to sleep. Echo fashioned a comfy nest for him on the couch, where his foot was raised and supported. Severus ordered tea and sandwiches, while Echo unpacked Peter Pan to read to him.

Harry leaned against his mother as she began the chapter his father had last ended with, "If you shut your eyes and are a lucky one, you may see at times a shapeless pool of lovely pale colours suspended in the darkness; then if you squeeze your eyes tighter, the pool begins to take shape, and the colours become so vivid that with another squeeze they must go on fire. But just before they go on fire you see the lagoon. This is the nearest you ever get to it on the mainland, just one heavenly moment; if there could be two moments you might see the surf and hear the mermaids singing."

Harry yawned, and asked, "D'you think Peter Pan's mermaids are anything like real ones, Mum?"

"I think Mr. Barrie thought they were more like women with the tails of fish," replied Echo. "But, mermaids do have skill in mesmerising wizards, so it's possible that they only looked human."

Harry nodded and snuggled closer to his Mum. He thought Echo had just as nice a reading voice as his Dad did, and he smiled as she kept reading.

The little boy was snoozing peacefully by the time Echo had finished half the chapter. Severus took the book from her and helped her to slide gently out from under her son.

"I don't know how you ever managed a rambunctious six year old in this castle last year, Severus. Didn't you tell me he got lost in here, once?" Echo asked softly as she settled herself on her husband's lap.

Severus curled his fingers through Echo's long hair. "He did. Remus and I only found him through an enchanted map. I really don't want to raise Harry here, my dear." Severus leaned his brow against Echo, breathing in her scent.

"I'll meet with a realtor on Monday. There has to be something suitable."

For several minutes the couple discussed what they wanted in a house until a small voice interrupted, "It's gotta have lotsa trees to climb."

Severus snorted, "Aren't you supposed to be asleep?"

"I was, but now I'm awake." Harry untangled himself from his nest of blankets and rubbed his eyes. "I'm hungry."

Echo slid off her husband's lap and went over to lift Harry up to a better sitting position and plumped a pillow behind his back. "You can have whatever you'd like, Harry," she said.

"Chocolate chip pancakes?" he asked hopefully and ducked when his father scowled. "Ohhh, okay. Uhm... roast and Yorkshire pudding?"

"I'll tell Dobby..." Echo paused. "Our house needs a large kitchen," she stated. She smiled, and then went to Floo Dobby and order their dinner.

"Harry, I must ask you, when you left our quarters today, did you let your mother know where you went off to?" asked Severus.

Harry shook his head. "Mum was asleep and I didn't want to wake her."

"Ah. So you left a note, then." Harry's body tried to vanish against his pillows. His father didn't look mad, but there was something in his tone of voice, his body language, that told the child he was teetering on the edge of being in trouble.

"I didn't think to, Dad. Should I have?" he asked sincerely.

"Yes, you should have. If you're mother had wakened while you were still gone, don't you think she would have been worried for you?" Harry nodded, his lower lip protruding contritely. "From now on, I want you to tell either your mother or myself if you want to go off someplace. Hogwarts, as you've already discovered twice, is not someplace you go wandering on your own."

"What if I can't find you or Mum?" asked Harry.

"Call Dobby and have him notify one of us, IF you really must leave. I would prefer it that you stay put, though."

"But Hector..." Harry sighed mournfully.

A knock interrupted them and Echo opened the door of their guest quarters to admit Draco, Ron, and Hermione. Harry brightened immediatly.

"We won't be here long," began Draco, "since we all have to go to dinner soon, but we heard about your accident." Draco leaned down and gave his little brother a hug.

"How are you doing, Harry?" asked Hermione.

"I'm okay. I just have to sit here a lot," he replied.

Ron smirked, "Take advantage of that while you can, Harry. Accidents are always good for extra pudding."

"I see you've already forgotten about the Howler I sent you at the beginning of summer, Mr. Weasley," reminded the Potions Master in his silkiest snarl.

Ron blanched. "No, sir! I haven't. Did Mum tell you I was put on a diet this summer because of that?" Ron looked appropriately wounded.

Hermione whacked Ron lightly in the abdomen with the back of her hand. "Something tells me you got around that diet, Ron."

Ron glowered and Draco snorted. Harry just giggled. "I'll come see you this weekend, Snapelet. If my homework isn't too overwhelming, that is," said Draco.

"Great!" Harry smiled in anticipation of a longer visit.

"We'll see you later, too, Harry." Hermione kissed his cheek and Ron waved. Draco gave his little brother a big squeeze and then they left.


The Very Last Hour of Saturday

Severus divested himself of his dressing gown and kicked his slippers beneath the bed. Echo pulled back the covers and he slipped in beside his wife.

"For once it was a normal nightmare," Severus said with a yawn as he drew Echo close into his arms.

"Normal?" she questioned, moving a lock of his hair off his forehead.

Severus nodded. "Just the excitement of the day, the accident, that sort of thing. He fell back to sleep quickly. I'm going to talk to Albus about allowing Hector into the castle."

"Harry's missing him," Echo stated, knowing well that the little boy fell asleep every night with Hector.

"I'll talk to Albus," he murmured, half asleep.

Echo kissed the corner of her husband's mouth and then pulled the blankets more securely around them both. Severus was snoring softly just before she sank back down into sleep.

The End.
End Notes:
Excerpt from Peter Pan is from Chapter 7 - The Mermaid Lagoon by J.M. Barrie.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2497