Take Two by etherian
Summary: This is the sequel to Harry Potter's Second Chance. You really ought to read that first or you'll be a bit lost. Voldemort is completely dead. Harry is 6 years old after having de-aged himself with an ancient and illegal potion. Albus is dying, but Severus hopes to gain permission to brew the same potion and save the old wizard.

Canon (more or less) up til the end of the fourth book, AU after that. Be aware that Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes was begun after the war, and the twins did not attend their 6th year.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: Second Chance
Chapters: 59 Completed: Yes Word count: 220316 Read: 231957 Published: 03 Apr 2011 Updated: 03 Apr 2011
Chapter 43 by etherian

Sunday Morning

Severus was sipping his coffee and reading the Daily Prophet while Echo was setting up Harry on the couch.

"Do I hafta stay here all day?" pouted the little boy. "I feel fine."

Severus turned the page and replied, "I told you already, Harry, that you only have to stay there until the Sorting Feast..."

Harry whined, "That's all day!"

"I suppose you want to attend your first day of Primary School on crutches?" asked Echo as she handed him his book.

"No! Madame Pomfrey said I'd be all right, Mum!"

"Harry, it is completely unnecessary to shout when I am right here," his mother said sternly.

"Sorry," he muttered. "But I'll be..."

"I heard what you said," Echo interrupted. "You are staying on this couch so that your potions can do the work they need to on your ankle. If you go running about on it now, you will weaken the bones, or even break it again."

"But Hector's gonna miss me, Mum."

"Going to, not gonna," corrected his father.

Harry scowled over the back of the couch at Severus, who was still reading the paper. He then stuck his tongue out.

"I saw that," warned Severus as he lowered the paper and gave his child the benefit of his most severe Potions teacher's glare.

"You did not!" objected Harry.

"Are you certain of that?" Severus eyebrow lifted and he smiled dangerously.

Harry flopped back against his plumped up pillow. "You're mean!"

Severus chuckled, put down his newspaper and walked over to his son. He kissed his forehead. "Be a good boy today, Harry, and this weekend we'll go into Muggle London and visit your cousin."

"Really?" asked Harry perking up instantly.

Severus summoned a small writing desk, a quill, and a piece of parchment. "Why don't you write to your cousin and see if he's available this weekend?"

"Okay!"

Severus caught Echo around the waist and kissed her. "I think I may have forgotten to say so, but thank you for the shirts, my dear."

"You're all right with them being second hand? I know you said not to worry about money, but looking for a bargain is a bit second nature to me," Echo shrugged.

Severus gave her a gentle squeeze. "It's quite fine, Echo. We really aren't that strapped for galleons, but I do appreciate the effort. And, I'm certainly pleased by that frock coat you found. I'm amazed you only paid five sickles for it!"

Echo laughed quietly. "You'll look so handsome in that coat, too. Will you wear it tonight?"

He nodded and pulled her close. "Of course I shall." He smirked and kissed her again before leaving to inspect the Potions classroom and Slytherin House with Bill.


Sunday Evening

The Sorting Feast had been absolutely exciting for Harry as he watched all the new children being sorted. He clapped happily for every single one, which started to get on Severus' nerves about halfway through the Sorting. He practiced his 'stony' look, though, and did his best to ignore Harry and allow him his fun.

Echo kept a watch on Harry, to make certain with all his bouncing in his chair that he didn't stand up on his healing foot. Every once in awhile, she glimpsed over at her husband. His dark green frock coat really did suit him well. If anything, he seemed to be sitting up straighter, and although he had his practiced expression of disdain upon his face, his eyes showed the pride he held in the fact his little family were seated beside him at the Staff table.

Once the Sorting was complete, the Headmaster made all his announcements which included welcoming Remus Lupin as the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher and Head of Gryffindor House, and then the announcement of Bill Weasley as the Potions instructor. It was the further announcement that Bill was also the new Head of Slytherin that left the entire Great Hall stunned.

Albus was thrown, just a bit, by the awkward silence and was trying to think of something to say when Draco began applauding, loudly. His clapping was immediately joined by Hermione's applause. When Ron and Ginny joined in, soon the entire school was applauding the new Head of Slytherin House.


That evening, all of the Slytherin students were gathered in their common room to meet their new Head of House and to say their farewells to their old Head of House. Draco, proudly wearing his Head Boy badge had quashed all the whisperings of the older students about having a Gryffindor for Head of House as they waited for Professors Snape and Weasley.

"Even McGonagall is better than a Weasley," hissed Andrew Dermott, a fifth year. His father had been a Death Eater who had been Kissed by the Dementors at the beginning of summer. He had not known his father was a Death Eater, but he had grown up with Pureblood ideals like many of the children of Death Eaters or supporters had.

"Didn't I just tell everyone to shut up, Dermott," hissed Draco in warning.

"I'm just saying..." Dermott tried to continue but an elbow to his solar plexus from Millicent Bulstrode ended his speech.

The door to the common room swung open at that point, ending any further whispers.

Severus Snape deferred to Bill Weasley so the wizard swept in. His hair, the ever distinctive red hair of the Weasley clan, hung to his shoulders. A small loop of gold glinted on his right earlobe. He wore a dark green waistcoat over a white, linen shirt, and trousers beneath rich green teaching robes. Over the next several years, this look would become as memorable as Professor Snape's black robes.

Severus Snape nodded to his collected snakes and felt an odd tug as he realised that he would no longer have responsibility for these children. To his horror, he found he could not begin his carefully prepared speech.

Draco saw his godfather's slight hesitation and nudged a third year girl that was standing beside him. She stepped forward.

"Professor Snape, sir?" Severus lowered his gaze upon Kia Meers.

"Miss Meers?" he acknowledged the child.

The little, raven haired girl stepped forward and she held out a box, quite large, that was wrapped in green and silver paper and tied with iridescent ribbon. "All of us decided to get this gift for you so you'd never forget us."

Gravely he took the present and swallowed, fiercely, against the lump that was trying to lodge itself in his throat. He moved over to one of the green, velvet upholstered couches and sat down. His snakes all crowded around him as he removed the ribbon and then the paper. It felt very heavy upon his lap and he gave a small smirk as he wondered what it might be. Lifting the lid he looked down upon a cauldron. He lifted it out to examine it.

It was silvery-white and gleamed dully. It was somewhat pitted, and rather ugly, but the Potions Master beheld the cauldron with reverence. Even Bill Weasley's jaw gaped at the incredible gift.

"An iridium cauldron," Severus finally breathed. He lowered it back into the box. "I shall never forget you, my snakes," whispered Severus. If he could have spoken louder, he would have, but that lump in his throat was making it impossible.

The lump won, though, when nearly all of his beloved children descended upon him, hugging him or shaking his hand if they were older students. He was able to regain his dignity when Draco ushered everyone back into their assembly.

Rising to his feet, Severus spoke softly, the silken tone returned to his voice. "I must now give all of you into the hands of your new Head of House, Professor William Weasley. I expect each of you to show him the respect that makes Slytherin House what we have always known- it is a noble, and honourable House."

The Potions Master then bowed deeply and swept away and out of the common room.


Echo had greeted her husband when he returned from Slytherin House. He was solemn as he kissed her cheek before making his way over to his desk. He quickly wrote a short note, sealed it with magic so only its intended recipient could open it, and then sent it through the Floo to the Slytherin Common Room.

"I take it Harry has gone to bed?" he asked his wife.

"He did, but I doubt very much he's asleep. A bit too much pudding at the feast."

He chuckled softly. "I'll go look in upon him and then perhaps you and I will have tea?"

Echo kissed him softly when he stood. She then touched his cheek, and turned away to order tea from Dobby.


Severus slowly pushed open the door to Harry's small room open. He was blocking most of the light from the living room, but enough slipped in to cast itself across his son's face.

"Daddy?" asked a sleepy voice.

In one very smooth move, Severus was seated on the edge of Harry's bed. He had slipped his arms around the small boy and pulled him gently into his arms and onto his lap.

"You okay, Daddy?" Harry asked softly as he gently stroked his father's hair.

After a very long minute, Severus breathed deeply and replied, "I'm fine, child. I just needed a hug from my little boy."

Harry grinned and leaned back slightly. "Maybe you need a kiss, too?"

Severus smiled softly, "Maybe I do."

Harry kissed his father's cheek and then hugged him tightly. He wasn't sure if his father was sad or not, but just in case he was, Harry wished all the love he could towards Severus. Perhaps that bit of magic worked, for although Severus felt sad at leaving his Snakes, he was content.


"Malfoy!" Blaise Zabini rapped his knuckles hard against the private Head Boy's door. "Snape's sent you a note!"

Draco swiftly opened the door and just as swiftly slammed it in Zabini's face.

"Yeah. You're welcome, git." Zabini grumbled.

The door opened again and Draco called, "Thanks, Blaise!" It slammed shut again.

Zabini smirked, shook his head, and ambled off to his dorm.

Draco tapped the folded and sealed note with his wand, and then unfolded it when the seal cracked. He flopped down onto his bed to read it.

Draco,

I know my Snakes could not have afforded that iridium cauldron. Not without considerable help from you, my godson. I am certain you've been pacing ever since I left, afraid that I would insist upon not accepting such a gift. However, I shall keep the cauldron as I know it means a great deal to my Snakes, and I know it means a great deal to you.

Thank you very much for having made this last evening with my children a memorable one.

You're a good son, Draco.

Your loving godfather,

Severus

Draco breathed a huge sigh of relief. He HAD been pacing, but only after Professor Weasley had left. Very few Potions Masters could afford to even salivate over an iridium cauldron, much less buy one. However, Draco knew that his godfather was better than all the Potions Masters in the world and the man deserved an iridium cauldron so he could do research on potion that others could only fantasize about. He was glad that Severus would keep the cauldron.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2497