Take Two by etherian
Summary: This is the sequel to Harry Potter's Second Chance. You really ought to read that first or you'll be a bit lost. Voldemort is completely dead. Harry is 6 years old after having de-aged himself with an ancient and illegal potion. Albus is dying, but Severus hopes to gain permission to brew the same potion and save the old wizard.

Canon (more or less) up til the end of the fourth book, AU after that. Be aware that Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes was begun after the war, and the twins did not attend their 6th year.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: Second Chance
Chapters: 59 Completed: Yes Word count: 220316 Read: 231976 Published: 03 Apr 2011 Updated: 03 Apr 2011
Chapter 55 by etherian

It was a week before the Christmas holidays began and Echo's plan to get Minerva and Albus properly married had come to fruition. At Albus' request (which came after the Headmaster finally bowed to Echo's endless cajoling), Severus was to perform the Binding Ceremony. Both Minerva and Albus had refused to get wed under Ministry law, but Arthur, in his unofficial capacity as the Minister of Magic, would stand by as witness for the Headmaster, thus making their union legal under the auspices of the Ministry. Minerva had asked Molly to stand as her witness.

At Fairwinds, the Snapes were busy that morning getting dressed in their wedding finery. Severus looked splendid in dark grey trousers, a white linen shirt under a dark green velvet waistcoat, and an open, long, dark grey frock coat. His outer, dress robes were of the same dark green velvet as the waistcoat. Harry was dressed in a black tuxedo with a crisp, white shirt. His father had just finished tying the bow tie as Harry stood upon his dressing stool in his bathroom.

"It's too tight, Dad," complained Harry as he gagged exaggeratedly over the bow tie.

Severus slapped his son's hand lightly away from the perfect bow tie. "It is not too tight, Harry. You're just not used to it." He motioned for Harry to turn his back to him.

"Can't mum comb my hair?" Harry watched his father's reflection frown at him from the mirror.

"Your mother is busy getting dressed." Harry huffed. Severus smirked and commanded gently, "Face forward."

Harry looked straight on at the mirror and watched, quietly, while his father drew the comb through his shoulder length hair. After a few minutes, he asked, "Can I have a ponytail like yours?"

"May I," corrected Severus.

"You already have one," sniggered Harry.

"Such a comedian," Severus drawled dryly as he gathered his son's hair into a neat ponytail tied by a black velvet ribbon at the nape of his neck. "Finished," announced the older wizard. He lifted Harry off of the dressing stool. "Go put on your dress robes and then sit down in the living room." Harry started to run out of the bathroom when his father caught him by the upper arm. "No running and try not to get dirty."

"Yes, sir!" Harry grinned and trotted off.

Severus left Harry's bathroom just in time to see a brief blur as Harry ran out of his room. Severus sighed. He was going to have to talk to the boy about his habit of running everywhere in the house. Sometimes he sounded like a herd of hippogriffs.

Reaching the door of his and Echo's bedroom, he knocked. "May I come in, Echo?"

The door swung open as Echo waved it open. She was standing in front of a full length mirror eyeing herself critically. Her dress was a beautiful gown of silvery grey silk that, when she walked, shimmered very lightly with the colours of the rainbow. Severus was dismayed to see Echo's hand flutter, still subconsciously, over the faint scar her dead, ex-husband, Oland, had given her. The neckline of the dress was square cut and showed off her curves beautifully, but all Echo still saw was the faint, pale line of the scar that ended just above her navel.

Severus stepped up behind his wife and caught the hand that was trying, unsuccessfully, to hide the scar. He kissed her fingertips.

"Accio hairbrush." The silver backed hairbrush flew into Severus' hands and he began to brush Echo's hair. They both remained quiet as he gently brushed her raven curls, pulled them back, and placed two, blue bejeweled combs into her hair. When he was finished, he kissed the part of the scar that was on her collarbone and whispered softly, "All that anyone will see is you, my Beauty."

"It's the bride's day, not mine. They're supposed to pay attention to Minerva," smiled Echo.

Severus tightened his arms about his wife and was just going to kiss her when he heard a thump from downstairs. He groaned.

"Can't that child sit still for five minutes?" he griped.

"I think that's an impossible expectation for any child under the age of ten." Echo grasped Severus' hand. They then left their bedroom and headed downstairs to find out what the noise had been.


Harry really had tried to sit still. He sat on the ottoman and stared at the flames in the fireplace for what felt like ten years. He glanced up the staircase, but neither his mother or father showed. He tapped his fingers on his thighs for a bit, then hummed, then tapped his foot rhythmically. Finally, he couldn't take sitting down any longer and so he got up, wandered around the living room until he stood up against one wall. Very carefully he started walking with the heel of one foot touching the toes of the other foot. He began counting the steps as he held his arms outward to keep his balance.

So focused was Harry by his balancing as he walked heel to toe and counting, that he forgot to pay attention to any obstacles in his way. The sofa blocked his path and in trying to navigate around it, he lost his precarious balance and fell against a side table that had three, very heavy books stacked upon it that Severus had been reading. Harry continued to fall to the floor, but his attention was on the books and how much trouble he'd be in when they all fell.

A few minutes later Harry's parents found him in the living room seated on the floor and staring in frozen surprise at the three books that were spinning lazily about each other in the air right over his head. Echo was about to get Harry's attention when Severus stopped her.

"Accidental magic," he whispered very softly. If they distracted Harry now, not only would it disrupt the Accidental Magic, but it would also drop the heavy books onto their son's head. Harry was unfortunately directly beneath the spinning books. Slipping his wand from his sleeve Severus silently cast Wingardium Leviosa. The books stopped spinning, but they remained hovering over Harry's head. In a more normal voice, Severus requested, "Echo, would you take care of the table? Harry?"

Harry jumped up at the sound of his father's voice and almost fell against his mother. Echo caught him, moved him aside, and then righted the tall table. Once it was back in place, Severus moved the floating books back into place on the surface.

"I'm sorry, Mum, Dad!" declared Harry. "I was just measuring the living room and I didn't see the table."

"I thought I told you to sit down and wait," admonished Severus with a frown darkening his features.

"Well, yeah, but it was ages, and I... uhm... I didn't get dirty, though," Harry pointed out. His smile was a bit unsure with that exasperated look on his father's face.

Severus walked over and straightened his son's dress robes. "You're fortunate that we need to get to Hogwarts, otherwise I'd have you standing in the corner to prove to me that you know how to be patient."

"Da-ad," Harry pouted.

"No argument," interjected Echo. "We need to get going. I'm certain that Albus must be having a fashion meltdown about now."

"Indeed," agreed Severus as he scooped a handful of Floo powder from the alabaster bowl on the mantle. "Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts!"


The Floo deposited Echo, Harry, and Severus right into the Headmaster's office. A nervous little elf with amber eyes greeted them.

"Oh! Oh! Master Snape! Master Headmaster is telling Nitzi he is going mad! You is needed by Master Headmaster! Please come! Hurry!"

Severus sighed knowing that his wife's prediction had come true. He glanced over at Echo. "Go on, Severus," she replied, "I'll take Harry to Draco and then I'll go see how Minerva is doing."

"I'll meet you outside the Great Hall," nodded Severus. "Harry, you be good for Draco."

"I will, Dad. Say hi to Grandpa for me."


Severus took two stairs at a time and was soon striding across the balcony and to the door that led to Dumbledore's private quarters. He knocked rapidly on the door, noticing in that moment that the nervous elf had vanished.

"Come, come, my boy! I'm a mess!" Albus ushered Severus into his room just as he threw off the chartreuse robes he had on. Severus shut his eyes quickly and peeked marginally through one eyelid to be certain that the old man was at least wearing an undershirt and a pair of boxers. Albus was a wizard who still adhered to the old tradition of robes acting as one's only needed clothing.

"What's wrong, Albus?" asked Severus as he looked at several wildly coloured and patterned robes that littered the floor.

"Minerva's one stipulation was elegant," he grimaced, "and no obnoxious patterns." He sighed and scratched his head, which only tangled his long hair more.

Severus smirked. The old wizard's taste in robes was hardly along the lines of elegant. The man had the taste of a seasick, blind flamingo. He picked up one set of robes that were blue with little yellow chicks on it. "Albus? Would you permit me?"

"No black, Severus," the nervous wizard kidded as he slipped on the robes the younger wizard held.

Severus walked once around Albus, then waved his wand. He studied the results, then waved his wand again. A few more waves of his wand and it appeared he was finished. He then turned the elder wizard towards a tall, full length mirror that stood in the corner.

Albus' long hair and beard were now free of tangles and hung smoothly. The reddish ginger strands were lively against the pure white strands of hair. His robes were now a brilliant imperial purple with no pattern and trimmed with white and gold gryphon down feathers. Upon his head was a matching conical cap. The old wizard cut rather an impressive figure in the robes and he smiled, his blue eyes twinkling madly, in approval.

"I think that Minnie will approve, Severus. Thank you." Dumbledore cast the Tempus Spell to see what time it was, 11:30am, and then waved his wand to scatter the glowing numbers. "Let us go, my boy. I'd hate to be late for my own wedding."

"Neither Minerva nor Echo would allow that, Albus," smirked Severus wryly.

"Quite true," chuckled Albus. "Your wife can come up with some rather inventive threats." He glanced over at the younger wizard as he changed the cant of his hat.

"I've been an excellent influence," Severus said smugly.

"I'd also hate to discover what dear Minerva's retribution would be. You know those Scottish lasses are quite keen on revenge."

"So I've heard." Before the Headmaster could adjust either his hat, beard, or robes again, Severus nudged his mentor out of his rooms.


All the students of Hogwarts would be attending the wedding, and the fact that they also had a day without classes was enough to have all of them celebrating as they dressed in their fine robes and gowns.

In Gryffindor, Ginny, already dressed, was helping Hermione with her hair. The two girls had finally found a spell to tame the usual frizz that Hermione's hair often resorted to when it wasn't watched carefully. The lovely, young Muggle-born witch now boasted gentle waves of burnt umber that was much easier to style. Draco enjoyed seeing Hermione with her hair up, so Ginny had drawn her friend's hair up into a loose bun that artfully allowed dozens of tendrils to frame her face.

As the two girls were fixing their make-up, Parvati Patil rushed in breathlessly. "Ginny! There you are!"

"What's wrong, Parvati?" asked the pretty red headed girl.

"I think Neville's having a panic attack. He's breathing very funny," Parvati explained somewhat vaguely.

"What's he nervous about?" asked Hermione.

"Ron says Neville was getting dressed, then said Ginny's name, and fainted."

"You said he was breathing funny, not passed out!" Ginny huffed slightly.

"He is.. I mean he was passed out, but now... I mean. It's your fault." Parvati smiled at Hermione. "You look lovely, Hermione."

With a cross glance at the scatter-brained Parvati, Ginny ran out of the dormitory, down the stairs, and then into Ron and Neville's dorm.

"You're okay, mate," said Dean as he slapped Neville on the back.

Neville looked quite recovered until he turned and saw Ginny. She was wearing a beautiful gown of green satin with spaghetti straps. For a moment, he looked ready to faint again, but Ginny rushed to his side, slipped her arm around his waist, and directed him out of the boy's dorm.

"I think you need something to eat, Nev, then you'll feel better," said Ginny as she walked the tall boy down the stairs and into the common room of Gryffindor tower. Minerva had had the house elfs prepare a light buffet for the students since they wouldn't get anything else to eat until the reception after the Binding Ceremony.

"You look wonderful, Ginny," Neville said with a shy smile as the Weasley girl handed him a cucumber sandwich.

Ginny smiled brightly. "Neville, we are a couple now, so I think you really ought to buck up and stop hyperventilating everytime you think of me." She kissed his cheek.

Neville took a few bites of the sandwich, and blushed as Ginny admonished him. "I don't mind hyperventilating over you, Ginny."

She giggled and shook her head. Ginny looked up to see Hermione coming down the stairs.

"I'll meet you guys in the Great Hall. I'm going to see how Draco's doing," said Hermione.

"I doubt he's fainting," teased Ron as he came down the stairs behind Hermione. Dean and Seamus were right behind them. They followed Ron to the buffet and all three boys began stuffing themselves.


Echo and Harry had just reached the junction of corridors that led down to the dungeons and subsequently down to Slytherin House when they ran into Luna who was walking beside Nearly Headless Nick.

"...tis true, my dear," exhorted the ghost. "Although, I cannot say that I've seen any in the last century, but you never know. A diligent witch, such as yourself, might just be the one to discover whether they're still here or not."

"Luna!" shouted Harry. He broke from his mother's side and ran towards the fey girl.

"Ahhh!" smiled Nick. "If it isn't young Master Snape! How are you, Harry?"

Harry looked up at the ghost and grinned, "I'm good, Nick. Are you going to the wedding, too?"

"I do believe we'll all be there, if not visible, certainly in spirit," he chuckled at his own jest. "Well, I shall let all of you go where you need to. Good day, Harry, Luna, and Madame Snape!" In the blink of an eye, Nearly Headless Nick vanished into the corridor wall.

Once the ghost was no longer between himself and Luna, Harry moved closer to her. "You look real pretty, Luna."

Luna was wearing a gown of lightly sparkling gossamer that made her look like an ethereal moon maiden. She turned her full attention to Harry and assessed his outfit. "Such a nice compliment, Harry. You're becoming quite the gentleman."

Harry blushed furiously, but stood up straighter. Echo tempered her smile of amusement as she clearly saw the adoration Harry had in his eyes for Luna.

"Harry, would you like Luna to escort you down to Slytherin House?" asked his mother.

"Yeah! Is that okay, Luna?" Harry asked hopefully.

"Certainly!" she agreed. She then leaned down and spoke in a stage whisper to the little boy, "Nearly Headless Nick told me that there were Goonie Blits down in the dungeons. Perhaps we might catch one. Nick says they're full of good fortune and sweet blessings."

"Wow," breathed Harry. "How're we going to catch one, Luna?"

Echo interrupted, "Luna, would you let Draco know that I'll be with Minerva if I'm needed for anything?"

"Of course, Madame Snape," nodded the Ravenclaw. Luna took Harry's hand in hers and they headed down to the dungeons as Luna described what Goonie Blits looked like and how one went about capturing one. Echo watched until they vanished after turning onto another corridor. She then headed up towards Gryffindor tower where Minerva's quarters were.


Minerva McGonagall was not a nervous bride. If truth be told, she felt she had bound her heart and soul to Albus Dumbledore's a very long time ago. Today's ceremony would only validate their union in the eyes of all the students of Hogwarts, their friends, and all of the wizarding world.

Sitting at her vanity, she touched her slim fingers to the strands of grey that were now showing amongst her russet coloured hair. Her hair, still her pride and joy, had been released from its severe bun and hung down her back, a silken wave that brought out the beauty of Minerva's youth that had long since been gently hidden by age.

Molly was running a brush through those tresses just as the house elf with amber eyes that had greeted the Snapes in the Headmaster's office popped in. In her thin arms she held Minerva's wedding gown. As Molly took the garment from the house elf, there came a knock at the door.

"Nitzi, would you get that, please?" requested Molly as she placed the gown on Minerva's bed.

"Yes, Miss Weasley, Nitzi is happy to do so!" The house elf ran out of Minerva's bedroom and a few minutes later Echo was led by the elf into the bedroom.

"Perfect timing, Echo!" greeted Molly.

"Hello, Molly, Minerva. How is the blushing bride?" she asked as the deputy headmistress rose from the vanity and walked over to her bed.

"Quite a bit better than the groom is, no doubt," quipped Minerva. "Is Severus with Albus?"

"He is," chuckled Echo. "As I thought, the poor headmaster was having a fashion meltdown when we arrived. I'm sure Severus will get him sorted out."

Minerva let out a sigh of relief. "Oh, wonderful! That means Albus won't be wearing anything with an animated pattern. Thank, Circe!"

"I hope Severus doesn't dress him in black," teased Molly.

"Dear me! That would be just as bad," Minerva then laughed. "I'm sure Albus would put his foot down about that!"

The three women's laughter filled the bedroom. Molly then picked up the wedding gown and she and Echo soon had the bride dressed.

Minerva's dress was of cream and gold lace under an overgown of fine spun wool in the tartan plaid of her Scottish Clan. The square cut neckline was delicately trimmed in cream lace. With her hair hanging loose down her back, the usually stern and stiff deputy headmistress was a vision of Highland loveliness.

"Oh, Minerva, Albus is just going to fall in love with you all over again," gushed Molly.

"I can't wait to see his face when he sees you," gasped Echo.

Minerva turned to see herself in the vanity mirror, and blushed. She couldn't wait to see Albus' face, too!


"Snapelet!" Draco greeted as Crabbe let Harry and Luna into the Slytherin common room. "Hey, Luna."

"Do you want to help me and Luna catch a Goonie Blits, Draco?" asked Harry after he hugged his big brother.

"A what?" Draco asked.

"Goonie Blits," repeated Luna. "Nearly Headless Nick was telling me that they like dark places such as the dungeons. They are filled with fortune and good blessings. Harry and I thought it might be nice if we could catch one for professors Dumbledore and McGonagall."

"Ahh... yeah," said Draco, uncertainly. Everyone knew the Ravenclaw girl was possibly nuts, but she was harmless enough. Besides, his little brother definitely had a crush on the girl, so he tried to act interested in the imaginary Goonie things. "What do they look like?"

Harry replied knowingly, "They look like strands of candy floss, but they're really hard to see. You have to look for them, but you have to look like you're not looking for them. They're tricky."

Several other Slytherins glanced from the little boy and then to the smiling, obviously loony, Ravenclaw, and muttered to themselves. Draco squelched any possible insults with a deep scowl that promised dire consequences if any of the insults were voiced.

"Uhm, well," Draco began, "I'm to meet Hermione at the Entrance Hall in a few minutes, so, why not?" he grinned and shrugged. "If we see one of those... er... Goonie things, we'll capture it."

"Great!" crowed Harry. He darted through the door of Slytherin and out into the corridor. Draco, knowing how Harry had a penchant for getting lost if he weren't watched, ran after him. Luna waved to the gathered Slytherins, and then she followed Harry and Draco.

Goyle shook his head. "Do you think she's part fae?"

"Part?" scoffed Andrew Dermott. "I don't think she's at all human."

"Don't be stupid, Andy," warned Millicent. "She's most definitely human even though it is possible for her to have fae blood."

Crabbe laughed, "I think she's just loony."


Draco caught up quickly with his little brother and grabbed him before Harry took a wrong turn. "This way, Harry." corrected Draco. "And stay within sight, would you? I know a Leash Charm I'll use on you if you vanish again."

"You'd leash me like a dog?" Harry asked incredulously.

"In a second. You've been lost down here before. Do you know what your Dad would do to me if I lost you a second time?"

Harry giggled. "Turn you into potions ingredients."

"Ha ha," smirked Draco. "He probably would."


Hermione waited patiently in the Entrance Hall just shivering slightly from the cold breeze that was sneaking into the castle between the two large, very ancient doors that led outside. This was where she'd agreed to meet Draco so they could sit together in the Great Hall for the wedding. Hermione was pacing back and forth to generate a bit of warmth and when she turned, she could see Draco, Harry, and Luna emerging from the corridor that led to the dungeons. She smiled and waved.

"...can't we go look some more?" Harry was asking, a slight whine in his voice.

"We don't have time, Harry," Draco said for the third time. "We..." He broke off just when he looked up and saw Hermione.

Hermione wore a long gown of sky blue silk with a bodice embroidered with stylised leaves in gold thread. The bodice had a scoop neckline. Around her throat she was wearing a magnificent sapphire and diamond necklace. Matching earrings glittered from her ears.

Luna leaned towards Draco. "You'll faint if you don't start breathing again, Draco."

He gasped, drawing in breath, then coughed. With a big, appreciative grin, he strode over to Hermione, took her hands in his, and said, "You look..." for just a moment, words failed him, and then he recovered, "enchanting, Hermione. I'm so glad you wore my great-grandmother's jewelry. It suits you."

Hermione's fingers drifted over one earring, then to the large, pear-shaped sapphire surrounded by small, twinkling diamonds. "Are you sure it's not too much?"

"I like how shiny it is," complimented Harry. "It makes your eyes sparkle."

Hermione laughed softly, while a rosy blush darkened her cheeks, "It does not, Harry! Don't tease."

Luna agreed, "Harry's right, Hermione, your eyes are sparkling as much as those baubles twinkle. You look lovely."

"Very," nodded Draco as he leaned over to kiss Hermione's cheek. Ever since the Halloween Ball, the young couple had kept a tight rein on their passions and behaved as Severus had dictated to them.

Draco noticed Hermione shivering so he took off his outer robe and slipped it over her shoulders. It would be warmer once they were in the Great Hall. The Entrance Hall always managed to be a bit chilly.

The great, oaken doors yawned open allowing in a very cold chill, and a bluster of snow. Draco pulled Hermione to the side while Luna drew Harry out of the way of the great draft.

The Weasley family, along with a pretty, blonde-haired young woman were coming through the door. Arthur, his cheeks red either from cold or anger, had a twin's ear in both hands.

"Ouch, Dad!" complained George.

"We're successful businessmen!" added Fred.

"I think ear pulling..."

"Isn't legal! Ow!" griped Fred as Arthur escorted the two young clowns away from the Great Hall.

Luna, Draco, Harry, and Hermione watched as the twins, both tall young men, but not as tall as their father, had to quickly trot on tiptoe to keep up with their irritated parent's ire.

"What did they do?" asked Draco with curiosity.

Arthur finally let go of his son's. Fred and George rubbed their injured ears, but managed cheeky smiles to Draco, Hermione, Luna, and Harry.

"Glop Balls," grinned George.

"What are Glop Balls?" asked Harry.

Fred smiled down at Harry. "Something we hoped you might help us test, little Harry."

"Unfortunately," continued George, "our limited supply has been confiscated."

"Unjustly so," lamented Fred. Both twins gave their father aggrieved looks. He snorted, and smiled.

Molly sighed apologetically. "If it hadn't been for Charlie, who knows what mess these two would have made of the wedding."

"It's a good thing mum was with me," continued Charlie, "or I would have had to kill them and hide the bodies."

Bill arrived then, slightly breathless. All thought of Glop Balls vanished as everyone saw him smile grandly for the lovely blonde. He embraced her, then kissed her chastely. "Has everyone met my fiancee?" he asked, looking at the students and Harry.

Draco's brow wrinkled in remembrance. "Aren't you the girl from Beauxbatons that competed in the Tri-Wizard Tournament? Er, Flower... eh..."

"Fleur Delacour," corrected Bill.

For several minutes there were introductions made, then Fleur asked Charlie, "Would you really murder your own brothers?"

Bill shook his head and laughed heartily. "Nah, Charlie really wouldn't do that. It just wouldn't be polite on the Headmaster's wedding day."

"Draco, is it true that Professor Snape is officiating today?" piped up Percy Weasley over the laughter at his brothers' antics.

Draco nodded. "Yeah, you heard right, Percy."

"And he's not wearing black!" interjected Harry.

"Really?" asked Molly with a smile upon her face for the little boy.

"No black at all, Harry?" asked Hermione.

"Nope!" Harry giggled.

"Do you find my wardrobe funny, young man?" Harry was snatched up and he let out a delighted squeal as his father came up behind him and lifted him into his arms.

"Hiya, Dad! What're you doing here?" asked Harry.

"I just came out here to give Albus a few minutes alone," answered Severus. He kissed his son's cheek and then put him back down. Glancing at the Weasleys, Draco, Luna, and Hermione he suggested, "All of you might wish to get seated since we're starting soon."

Arthur began ushering everyone into the Great Hall. "Look for Remus, Molly, he's holding seats for everyone. Severus, shall I come with you?"

"Yes, Arthur," replied Severus. He continued, "and Molly, once everyone is seated, just go through the staff door and the door on the left is where Minerva is. Send Echo out, won't you?"

Molly patted Severus' arm. "I will do that. You look very nice, Severus." She chuckled softly and followed her brood, plus the extras, into the Great Hall.

Severus slipped away to a hidden entrance that would take him to the Staff Meeting Room where Albus waited. It appeared that everything would go without a hitch. It was that certainty that made him stop and pause and then to look up and down the narrow corridor he was in. He sighed worriedly and hoped he was right.


Precisely at noon, Severus stood in front of the entire school where Headmaster Dumbledore's podium usually stood for announcements or the Welcoming Feast. In front of him were Albus and Minerva. On either side of them were their respective witnesses, Molly and Arthur Weasley. Seated in the front row of chairs a few feet behind the couple were the staff of Hogwarts, the Weasleys, Remus Lupin, Echo, Harry (who took that moment to wave shyly at his father), Draco, Hermione, and Luna (who seemed to be watching something above the couple - Severus tried, hard, not to look up).

Binding Ceremonies were a flexible ritual designed either by the couple who wished to Bind themselves together, or it was designed by someone else, if not a parent or grown child, then a friend. Weeks ago Albus had asked Severus to officiate, thus to write his and Minerva's Binding Ceremony.

Severus really had no idea what to write, but he wasn't about to refuse such a request. A Binding Ceremony was a ritual of sacred magic and Severus was a wizard that believed that the magic didn't just begin with the ceremony itself, but began the moment the couple began preparations for their Ceremony Day. That meant that Albus requesting him to officiate was part of the weaving of the Binding's sacred magic.

Even so, Severus had still found it difficult to write and he'd been working on the ceremony every second he had free. Right before he'd joined Albus and Minerva on the dais where the staff table usually sat, he'd glanced at his notes, and tossed them aside. As soon as silence fell signaling that he was to begin, his heart tried to strangle him and he almost summoned his crumpled notes from the Staff Meeting Room.

Albus' caught Severus' momentarily panicked gaze and he smiled. It was that confidence he had in the younger wizard that he thought of as a son, that relaxed Severus. He took a breath and looked out upon the sea of expectant faces and Severus felt the first cracks of the sacred being torn asunder.

"Draco Lucien Malfoy! Don't you dare marry that filthy mud...!"

All eyes turned to look back toward the entrance to the Great Hall in the second that Severus had taken out his wand and shouted, "Stupefy!"

Narcissa Malfoy had returned... with a vengeance.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2497