Take Two by etherian
Summary: This is the sequel to Harry Potter's Second Chance. You really ought to read that first or you'll be a bit lost. Voldemort is completely dead. Harry is 6 years old after having de-aged himself with an ancient and illegal potion. Albus is dying, but Severus hopes to gain permission to brew the same potion and save the old wizard.

Canon (more or less) up til the end of the fourth book, AU after that. Be aware that Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes was begun after the war, and the twins did not attend their 6th year.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: Second Chance
Chapters: 59 Completed: Yes Word count: 220316 Read: 231941 Published: 03 Apr 2011 Updated: 03 Apr 2011
Chapter 56 by etherian

Pandemonium. All the students were talking at once, and oddly, none of the adults had moved or spoken, yet. Most of them were either staring at Draco's mother lying in a crumpled heap upon the floor of the Great Hall, or they were staring at Hermione.

Mere seconds after Narcissa was literally 'shot down' by Severus, Hermione felt so many eyes upon her, that she jumped to her feet, and ran up the dais and through the staff door. Draco, who didn't have time to think about his mother, saw Hermione's tears, and raced after her.

"Oh dear," muttered Albus.

"That wretched woman!" snapped Minerva angrily. Albus put a restraining hand upon Minerva's wand arm since she appeared ready to hex the unconscious Narcissa.

"I'll deal with this, Albus," Severus murmured softly, just loud enough for the Headmaster to hear. "We'll resume at in an hour."

"Thank you, my boy. I'll get the elfs to bring up a light snack to tide everyone over until then." Albus summoned one of the kitchen elfs, while Severus levitated Narcissa and directed her, none too gently, through the narrow staff door.


Draco caught up with Hermione just outside the door that led to the staff meeting room. Her sobs weren't muffled, now, and he soon had her in his embrace, trying to comfort her.

"Did you know she was coming back?" asked Hermione with a sniffle.

Draco wiped gently at her tears with his handkerchief. "Well, I knew she was coming back at some point. I mean, Uncle Severus did have me tell her about you and the Betrothal Ceremony."

"And she hates me!" Hermione buried her face against Draco's shoulder feeling hurt and also feeling like an emotional idiot. She knew that Narcissa Malfoy would hate her, but as long as the woman had stayed away, Hermione was able to exist in a little world where Narcissa didn't exist.

Draco patted Hermione's back gently as she wept fresh tears on his dress robes. Other than to apologise for the horrid mother he had, he didn't know what else to say to comfort Hermione.

"Draco, Hermione," Severus' voice broke through Hermione's tears. "Come into the staff room."

Draco looked up to see his godfather steering his mother's body into the staff room. Severus lowered Narcissa to the floor. He purposefully didn't give her the luxury of the small sofa that was against the wall. He then summoned chairs over for Draco and Hermione and himself.

"Do you have to Ennervate her, Uncle?" asked Draco as he glanced sourly at his still unconscious mother.

"As much as I am tempted to leave Narcissa in this state, we might as well deal with her, now, so that we can salvage this day," replied Severus.

Hermione was hurriedly wiping at her tears. She didn't want to look like an emotional wreck in front of Narcissa. "Hermione?" Draco asked gently. "You don't have to stay here if you don't wish to."

Hermione grasped Draco's hand. "We're together in this, so I'll stay, Draco."

He smiled and kissed the cheek of his brave little Gryffindor. Draco then nodded to his godfather who roused Narcissa from the Stunning Spell.

Narcissa came to sharply. She was on her feet incredibly quickly and reached for her wand to hex Severus to death when she realised it was gone. Severus held up the wand he'd taken from the woman. Very few people knew that Narcissa wasn't all Pureblood form and perfectly coiffed hair. When she was at Hogwarts, she'd been the top duellist for two years. The only person who'd been faster than her had been Severus who was a second year student when Narcissa was in her seventh year at Hogwarts.

"Give me my wand back, Snape!" she demanded.

"Not until you've calmed down, Narcissa," Severus spoke calmly, although he had no intention of returning her wand until she was off the school grounds.

Narcissa was tempted to try and disarm the wizard, but he was stronger and more powerful than she was. Showing her displeasure, briefly, to Severus, she then rounded upon her son. "Get away from that whore, Draco!" she snarled.

Draco's wand was in his hand in the blink of an eye. The spell he cast sent his mother stumbling backwards and back down to the floor. Standing over her, wand still pointed in her direction.
"Don't you ever insult Hermione again, mother," Draco warned, the tone of his voice dripping with venom.

The witch pulled herself to her feet. She was about to retaliate verbally, when a chair that Severus summoned, hit the backs of her knees giving her no choice but to drop onto it.

Narcissa's grey blue eyes hardened into diamond chips as she hissed recklessly, "The son of Lucius Malfoy would never stoop to dally with such Muggle refuse."

This time Draco's wand shot out and he was about to hex his mother when Hermione laid a gentle, restraining hand upon his wand arm. "She's not worth it, Draco," Hermione said softly.

"Hermione is correct, Draco. Put your wand away," said Severus firmly as he smoothly sat down in his straight-backed chair and crossed one leg over the other. He scowled at Narcissa as though she were as repulsive as Bubotubor Pus.

Narcissa turned her face from Severus' disgusted gaze and looked towards her son. Inwardly she blanched at the open hostility in his eyes. She quickly dropped her eyes to the young woman beside her son, and she sneered as though there were an awful smell in the staff room.

"I cannot believe you sanctioned this... this farce, Severus," sniffed Narcissa disdainfully.

"I'm rather pleased by Draco and Hermione's relationship, Narcissa. I am also very proud of my godson, who has the backbone to decide who and what he is," Severus motioned, lazily, for Draco to lower his wand. Draco finally did so, but kept his wand in his hand between himself and Hermione.

"You're a traitor, Severus," she hissed. "No one ever believed me when I told them you weren't trustworthy. Now you've gone and turned my son against me."

"No he didn't!" snapped Draco. "You did that all by yourself, Mother. I had more affection from our house elfs than from you!"

"I did my duty as a Pureblood witch!" she nearly screeched. "I gave Lucius the heir he wanted! You owe it to your father, who spoiled you terribly, I might remind you, to become the wizard he expected."

Hermione couldn't help the question that came out of her mouth, "Don't you love Draco, Mrs. Malfoy?"

Narcissa rose like a striking cobra and slapped Hermione across the face. Hermione, who had not expected her question to elicit such a violent response, could only gape and stare incredulously at the horrid witch. She wasn't at all aware of the tears that glittered in her eyes from the pain of the now reddening mark upon her cheek.

Severus had not been fast enough to prevent the assault upon the Gryffindor who refused to acknowledge, with tears, how much Narcissa had hurt her. He caught Narcissa's arm just as she raised it to hit Hermione again. He then thrust her forcefully into her chair.

"Lucius should have killed you, Severus," she bit out sharply.

"That's enough, mother!" shouted Draco. "I thought... I hoped we might be able to reason with you, but now I see that's impossible. And for striking the woman I love, I can never forgive you for that."

"I don't require your forgiveness. I see now that you have clearly disgraced the noble House of Malfoy," Narcissa's voice was brittle. "It is a pity your father isn't here to straighten you out, Draco."

Draco's features clouded darkly and his hand subconsciously grabbed the amulet he wore beneath his shirt. In a steely voice tinged with pain, he hissed, "Who I am and how I live my life has nothing whatsoever to do with my father." He stood and Severus could see a faint tremor in the young man's hands as he faced his mother. "Furthermore, mother, I am done with you. You've made it perfectly clear that you have no love for me and I certainly have none left for you. By right of my magic, I am no longer your son and you are no longer a Malfoy. I choose my Uncle Severus and Aunt Echo as my only living parents. You may return to Italy and to your spiteful existence."

Draco wavered with the force of magic he'd invoked that severed the filial ties between mother and son. Severus was on his feet just in time to catch his godson and steady him.

Narcissa also felt the magic, but she fought the faint feeling that threatened to throw her to the floor. When it was nearly gone, she stood, very stiffly, and glared down her pert, patrician nose at the young wizard that was no longer her son.

"See that my dowry is returned to me with the appropriate interest, Mr. Malfoy. Then, you'll never hear from me again."

Draco merely nodded and watched as Narcissa Malfoy strode out of the staff room, her spine ramrod straight. The door slammed shut behind her and Draco's knees turned to rubber.

Severus deftly guided Draco back to the chair he'd occupied earlier and he slumped, towards Hermione, who did her best to comfort him in the awkward position. A flick of his wand and the Potions Master joined the two chairs so that Hermione could embrace Draco.

"Thank you, Professor," she said softly.

Severus gently tipped her chin up to examine the imprint of Narcissa's hand. He summoned a Pain Potion and then healed the injury so it wouldn't bruise. Hermione took the potion, then drew Draco into her arms.

Severus placed his hand, comfortingly, upon Draco's shoulder. The young man's body trembled, silently, as he wept for the loss of what Narcissa should have been to him.


Fred, or maybe it was George, whispered to his twin as they watched the Potions Master leave the Great Hall with Narcissa's body. Both twins grinned and Molly turned a severe eye on them both.

"Molly," cautioned Echo with a small smirk, "if your sons are thinking what I hope they're thinking, perhaps they ought to just get this out of their system."

"We promise, mum," said Fred softly.

George chimed in, "Nothing will go wrong."

Molly crossed her arms over her chest as she regarded the twins. Harry piped up, as he sensed trickery in the air, "Can I help?"

Fred grinned at Harry, then glanced at his mother. Molly turned to Echo who replied, "Harry may help, but do make sure he stays clean."

"Of course, Madam Snape," the twins chorused. Jumping to their feet, they grasped Harry's hands so he was between them, and then they swiftly disappeared from the Great Hall. They were followed by a murmur of interest and speculation from the students.


Hardly had fifteen minutes passed before the haughty figure of Narcissa Malfoy burst through the small staff door into the Great Hall. Very conscious of all eyes upon her, she kept her own eyes straight ahead and strode down the middle aisle and out of the Great Hall.

Moments later the whole castle seemed to reverberate from a startled, angry shriek from Narcissa. Like a wave, everyone in the Great Hall swept to the arched entrance as curiosity drew them out.

"You beasts!" Narcissa screeched again.

A flash went off accompanied by young, devilishly delighted laughter. Another flash went off as Narcissa screamed again.

The witch was in the Entrance Hall where she now stood, enraged, and covered in a sludgy mess of blue, orange, and green Glop. The twins had set up their Glop Balls hovering over the entrance doors, ready to fall upon the first person who tried to leave. Fred had armed Harry with a camera and he was dancing around the vile woman, snapping photos left and right.

Just as Narcissa, hands out and nearly claw-like, moved to attack Harry, Molly snatched him up out of danger and Echo was between Narcissa and Molly. Narcissa was so angry, she didn't pause in her attack and struck physically at Echo. Echo's hand shot out as she cast a silent and wandless spell. Narcissa was lifted off her feet and thrown backwards against the door.

"Get out of here," Echo ordered in a voice that brooked no argument.

Narcissa rose shakily to her feet, pushed against one of the doors, and finally vacated the castle. As the door slipped silently shut, Harry wriggled against Molly's sturdy embrace as he tried to get down.

"Miss Molly! I need a photo of the doors! Isn't that pretty?" asked Harry as he pointed to the splotchy relief of colour that Narcissa had left against the doors when she hit them.

Molly let Harry go with a chuckle and he snapped another photo. Fred and George then ran over to the door and clowned in front of the splotchy mess while Harry delighted in taking their photos. They then dragged Echo into their posing and she received a smattering of applause for her unexpected part in the prank.

When Albus called everyone back to the Great Hall for the snack the Headmaster ordered from the kitchen elfs, Harry sidled up to his mother.

"I got a great photo of you, Mum. You can give it to Dad, if you want."

Echo smiled and ruffled her son's hair. "I'd love to, Harry. Thank you!"


At one o'clock, Albus and Minerva's Binding Ceremony began. Severus had discovered his tossed away notes on what he'd written, but he did not give them a second look. Once again, the Great Hall was assembled and Albus and Minerva were in place. Raising his arms, Severus began the ceremony.

"Here in the company of family, friends, colleagues, and students, we do invoke the love of Merlin and Nimue to bless this binding of Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore and Minerva McGonagall. Under the aegis of the Four Elements, do I bind thee; two hearts will beat as one, two souls will become one."

Severus tapped their clasped hands and a delicate breeze drifted through the Great Hall, touching everyone with its magic, eliciting smiles, blushes, and a few giggles.

"As the Air you breathe gave you life, may you always find its touch to bring you clarity of mind."

From Severus' wand came ribbons of purest white that wound their way playfully around Albus and Minerva until the ribbons joined together as a satin cord of white around their wrists. Severus then tapped their hands a second time and for a brief moment, the enchanted ceiling dropped christening drops of moisture onto everyone present.

"As the Water flows around obstacles, may you always flow around each others emotions."

Twin ribbons of pale blue leapt from Severus wand and flowed sinuously around Albus and Minerva until they joined together as a cord of blue satin around their wrists beside the white cord.

A gentle rumble caused a few gasps before Severus continued, "As the Earth grounds and steadies you, may you always remain strong for one another."

This time two vines coiled from the tip of Severus' wand. As the vine curled around Albus and Minerva, thick leaves sprouted and fragrant blossoms of white and purple burst open. When they joined over Albus and Minerva's wrists, the ivy became an emerald cord of satin.

Severus then invoked the final element: fire. Holding forth his hand, a rich flame grew upon the Potions Master's palm. He then threw it up above Minerva and Albus' heads where it dissipated, leaving a glow of warmth in the hearts of all those attending the Binding.

"As the Fire of love burns within you, may you always find a spark even in your anger."

With a last wave of his wand, a cord of red satin wrapped around their wrists. He laid his wand across all four cords. "Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, do you accept the love of Minerva McGonagall into your heart and your soul? Do you promise to cherish her always, even beyond the Veil?"

Albus smiled, if possible, even wider at his beloved witch. His blue eyes twinkled brightly. "I accept your love, Minerva and I shall cherish you even beyond the Veil."

Severus then asked, "Minerva McGonagall, do you accept the love of Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore into your heart and your soul? Do you promise to cherish him always, even beyond the Veil?"

A single tear of joy fell from Minerva's eye and to her cheek. Albus reached up with his free hand to brush at the tear and she caught his hand and drew it against her heart. "I accept your love, Albus and I shall cherish you even beyond the Veil."

Severus then tapped each cord until it dissolved in a sparkle of white, then blue, then green, then red. Severus, who still rarely smiled, did so now as he finished the ceremony, "By the great love that was Merlin and Nimue, I do call all who witness this day to recognise the love of Albus and Minerva and rejoice with them the success of their Binding. So mote it be!"

Albus caught his wife in his arms and to applause and laughter, he kissed Minerva so soundly, she blushed right down to her toes!


Severus stepped down from the dais and walked over to where Hermione and Draco were seated in the front row. He leaned over, whispered something to them, and they rose to their feet. Severus escorted the young witch and wizard up to where Minerva and Albus still stood.

"You'll need to kneel," whispered Severus.

Draco and Hermione did so and both were thankful that Severus had surreptitiously cast a Cushioning Charm to save their knees from grief. Severus then stepped to the side.

Albus spoke solemnly, "Minerva and I are pleased that on this sacred day of our union, we are now able to share our joy with these two souls who wish everyone to know of the love and their intent to wed each other."

Albus laid his hand lightly upon Hermione's head, and Minerva laid her hand lightly upon Draco's.

Minerva spoke clearly, "Draco Lucien Malfoy, I give you my blessing upon your troth to Hermione Jean Granger." As she removed her hand a glittering sparkle of gold surrounded Draco.

Albus spoke next, "Hermione Jean Granger, I give you my blessing upon your troth to Draco Lucien Malfoy." The gold shimmered into existence around Hermione.

Albus and Minerva stretched out their hands into the swirling gold, caught a tendril of the magic, and by clasping their hands together, they joined the gold.

Draco turned, a bit awkwardly on his knees towards Hermione. She turned slightly towards him. Taking her hand in his, he removed a ring from the pocket of his robes. As he held it up, he said, "I promise to honor thy love, forsaking all others, and do give my vow to take you as my wife, when we so choose." He slipped the ring onto Hermione's third finger.

Hermione wavered just a moment, before remembering she had to speak, "I promise to honor thy love, forsaking all others, and do give my vow to take you as my husband, when we so choose."

The gold began to swirl faster until it burst apart, enveloping the young couple until it vanished between their clasped hands. Albus made a slight motion that bade them to remain where they were.

Severus stepped forward and drew forth a small box that he opened and presented to both Hermione and Draco.

"This is a gift to you both from your parents, Hermione. Your mother told me that these were the engagement bands your grandparents gave to each other."

Hermione picked up the slightly larger gold band. She was about to put it on Draco's hand, but she was a bit lost in the ceremony. "I don't know if I'm supposed to say something, professor," she whispered.

"Speak from your heart, Hermione," Severus smiled that rare smile of his.

Hermione held up the gold band in one hand as she held onto his other hand. "I... I never thought I'd be special enough to fall in love, Draco. You not only showed me that I am worthy of being loved, but you have given me confidence where I didn't have it. I cannot think of spending one day... one hour without you near. I, uhm... oh! I look forward to the day when we can make ourselves a family." With her hand shaking from emotion, she slipped the band onto his finger.

A coil of magic, Old Magic, crimson and glittering with life, rose up from Hermione's hand and wrapped around Draco's wrist. He eyed it in wonder then glanced up at his godfather, who seemed just as surprised by the appearance of the Old Magic of Protection.

Draco, at a nod from Severus, took the smaller band of gold, and for a moment he lost himself in Hermione's beautiful brown eyes. He finally spoke, softly, "You forgave me when I felt as though I didn't deserve it. You held my broken heart and healed it from the Darkness that had surrounded it for so long. Not since the moment I first held your hand have I felt alone. I enjoy laughing with you, and I love you so very much, Hermione. You are the treasure I will keep close to my heart and I look forward to the day when I can call you Wife." With a very shaky hand, he tried to put the gold band on Hermione's finger but he dropped it. He bit out an unintelligible imprecation, but Severus summoned the ring and handed it back to him. Finally Draco slipped the ring onto her finger.

Just as it had done for Hermione, the Old Magic rose from his hand, wrapped around her wrist, and sparked for a moment before vanishing.

Severus closed the box and stepped aside. Minerva and Albus helped Draco and Hermione to their feet. As Draco took Hermione's hand and faced all their friends, the students, and teachers, the applause (and a few cat calls) resounded throughout the hall for the newly betrothed couple.


The reception began at almost five in the evening. There was music, provided by Nearly Headless Nick and his quartet of ghosts, dancing, and the elfs had created a magnificent buffet to satisfy everyone.

"That's your last cream puff, young man," admonished Severus as he caught Harry once again hovering over the desserts.

"But they're good!" Harry replied as he finished the one he'd taken.

"So they are, but if you keep at them, there's no way you'll be able to sleep tonight," warned Severus.

"Can I have another sandwich, then?" Harry negotiated.

Severus waved him towards the slightly healthier side of the buffet. "Go on. But don't you dare sneak back to these desserts!"

"Yes, sir," Harry grinned, waited until his father turned his back, and then he snitched one more cream puff, running in the opposite direction as he stuffed his mouth.

Severus sat gratefully down beside his wife and caught sight of his son darting through the dancers like a mad hummingbird. Tomorrow, he vowed silently, would be a day of fruit and vegetables for the hyper child. Echo chuckled softly, knowing what her husband was thinking about their young, whirling dervish. She leaned over and kissed his cheek.

Echo and Severus watched as Albus and Minerva danced regally together. Not far from them were Draco and Hermione, mostly just swaying to the beat of the music as they held onto each other.

"Will Narcissa be back?" asked Echo softly.

Severus shook his head. "I don't know if Draco meant to do this, but he invoked Familial Magic which severed Narcissa from his life. She's no longer his mother."

"Is she still a Malfoy?"

"No. Draco will have to return her dowry, according to custom, but he is now, officially, the last Malfoy scion."

Echo smiled as she saw Draco give Hermione a chaste kiss and pulled her tight. "I don't think he'll be the last one for too long."

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2497