Take Two by etherian
Summary: This is the sequel to Harry Potter's Second Chance. You really ought to read that first or you'll be a bit lost. Voldemort is completely dead. Harry is 6 years old after having de-aged himself with an ancient and illegal potion. Albus is dying, but Severus hopes to gain permission to brew the same potion and save the old wizard.

Canon (more or less) up til the end of the fourth book, AU after that. Be aware that Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes was begun after the war, and the twins did not attend their 6th year.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Original Character
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: Second Chance
Chapters: 59 Completed: Yes Word count: 220316 Read: 231948 Published: 03 Apr 2011 Updated: 03 Apr 2011
Chapter 58 by etherian

Molly was in her element as she prepared a Christmas Eve feast for family and friends. She had prepared a beautiful golden roast goose, and a lovely ham studded with cloves and pineapple slices. There were homemade rolls, fresh butter, a huge salad, and mixed, steamed vegetables.

Arthur had made his coveted recipe for mulled wine, and there was plenty of pumpkin juice on hand.

As for the Burrow itself, Arthur, with the help of Charlie and the twins, had expanded the Burrow to accommodate all of their guests. Both the kitchen/dining area were larger, as was the living room where there was a very tall Christmas tree blinking with faerie lights and decorated with colourful glass ornaments. Beneath the tree were a king's ransom of wrapped gifts.

While Molly twittered about adjusting or moving little things, the Wireless had been tuned to a channel with Christmas songs.

Arthur came up behind Molly as she was standing in between the living room and the kitchen.

"You've done a grand job, old girl," he declared affectionately.

Molly blushed as Arthur leaned down to give her a quick kiss. "You, Charlie, and Fred and George did a very good job of expanding the Burrow."

"Looks roomy now, doesn't it?" Arthur beamed.

"I'm thinking we might leave it this way. Bill will be married soon and I think Fred might be next." Molly wiped away at a small tear. Her children were growing up so fast. "Oh yes! And, Percy."

"Percy, dear?" asked Arthur a bit puzzled.

"Have you found out what Percy's secret is?"

Arthur shook his head. "Percy has always been the one to keep a tight lock on secrets. Whatever it may be, he's obviously been happy over it for the last few weeks. What about your cousin, Molly dear? Have you been able to figure out what she's up to?"

Molly chuckled, "Maddie's giggling happy, but won't say what her giddiness is over. That means she met someone."

The fireplace whooshed, announcing the first of their guests. "Remus!" greeted Arthur. "You're looking well."

Remus smiled and handed an armful of gifts to the Weasley patriarch. "I thank Severus for how I'm feeling. His Symptom Relieving Elixir is nothing short of a miracle. Now, if I could just convince the man that it's good enough for distribution, that would be perfect."

Arthur escorted Remus into the now large living room and poured the wizard a drink. "Severus is a bit of a perfectionist. Are you his only test subject?"

Remus shook his head. "I've introduced Severus to two clans that have done well on the Wolfsbane Potion. They're all taking the Elixir now. I think after he's finished with his final tests then he'll begin the distribution."

"That's wonderful news, Remus. What a blessing this work will be for our werewolf population." The Floo whooshed again and Molly showed their next guest into the living room. "Ahhh, the wizard of the hour! How are you, Severus?"

"I am doing well, Arthur. And, you?" Severus removed his outer cloak and hung it on a clothes tree in the corner.

"Very well," beamed Arthur. "Remus has been telling me of your success with the Symptom Relieving Elixir for the werewolves. It sounds promising."

"I've quite a few more tests to achieve what I desire with the elixir, but I don't think it will be much longer before I can put it on the market." Severus took the glass of wine Arthur offered him and glanced over his shoulder just as his son and wife appeared through the Floo. Echo appeared to be upset.

"Over there, Harry. Put your nose in that corner and don't you dare stir until I say so," ordered Echo.

Harry, with his arms crossed tightly over his chest and a frown darkening his features, stomped past the three men in the living room and stood in the corner. Echo quickly unshrunk the Christmas gifts and Molly helped her to put them under the tree.

Severus excused himself from Arthur and Remus, and went over to the tree to address his wife. "What happened?"

"Running," Echo replied arranging the gifts. "He didn't want to wear his new snow boots, but the old ones. He ran across the living room just as Hector came strolling in and Harry swerved to miss the dog. He side-swiped his desk and knocked an open bottle of ink onto the floor and over his homework." She rose to her feet and then leaned closer to Severus, whispering. "I think he's mad at me for spanking him."

"Ah," Severus nodded in understanding.

Arthur chuckled, "That was a problem we dealt with seven times over. Ginny still has a tendency to forget and runs like a dervish through the house when she's home from Hogwarts."

The Floo whooshed several times in a row admitting the twins and Ron into the kitchen. All three were laden down with gaily wrapped gifts. Molly embraced each of her boys and then shooed them into the living room where they placed their gifts as close to the tree as they could manage.

"Hey little Snape," George greeted Harry with a friendly nudge to his shoulder.

"You didn't get Santa Claus mad at you, did you?" asked Fred.

Harry's jaw dropped. He was almost certain that Santa Claus was just a story, but this close to Christmas, he couldn't take the chance. "Dad?"

Severus, who was sitting in an armchair, looked towards his son. He hadn't heard the remark about Santa. "You have ten more minutes, son."

"I know, but did I make Santa mad? Is he not going to visit me now because I was running?" Harry's fists tugged down the hem of his red knit jumper in worry.

Severus allowed himself a small smirk at his son's worry. "No, Harry. I'm sure Santa will visit you. You have to be much more disobedient than that to get on Santa's bad children list."

Harry breathed a sigh of relief. Fred patted Harry's back and grinned, "Your Dad's right, Harry. George and I were plenty disobedient as kids and Santa never forgot us."

Arthur piped up, "It was close, though. I was certain that one Christmas, when you two were nine and managed to charm the fireplace to spit out glitter every five minutes."

"Oh yeah!" recalled George. "That was great!"

Severus' eyes narrowed at the twins and then he asked of their father, "Arthur, might that be similar to a charm that was used by some students unknown in 1990 that caused all the fireplaces in Hogwarts to spew green slime whenever anyone tried to Floo?"

Fred and George found the large Christmas tree in the corner opposite where Harry stood to be very fascinating. Arthur just laughed and Severus' scowl turned to a smug, knowing, smirk.

Albus and Minerva arrived just as Charlie Weasley did. Bill and Fleur Delacour arrived next and with them was Ginny who had been visiting her eldest brother and his fiance'. Nearly the last to arrive were a very worn out looking Draco Malfoy, and Hermione Granger. Percy was nowhere to be seen, yet.

Hermione kissed Draco's cheek and then whispered, "Go talk to your uncle, love." Draco simply nodded while Hermione drifted further into the kitchen where the women had all congregated.

Harry's twenty minutes were finally up and he leapt onto the sofa beside Draco. Draco's end of the sofa was near the armchair that Severus had occupied earlier. Severus brought Draco a glass of wine. Draco quickly took several sips of the holiday wine.

"I take it that Narcissa is still a thorn in your side?" surmised Severus.

"She hired five of father's old lawyers. I never knew there'd be so much paperwork." Draco shook his head tiredly. Harry leaned against his big brother and the young wizard draped an arm over his little brother's shoulders taking comfort from his presence.

"Has Narcissa decided that her dowry isn't enough, now?" inquired Severus.

"She's demanding certain paintings, her jewelry and clothing... the list was ten pages in length, Uncle Severus! What am I going to do?"

Severus leaned over and patted Draco's forearm. "The first thing we'll do is hire a lawyer for you. I know of one that is a hundred times more savvy than any lawyer Lucius once had. I'll make certain you don't have to worry anymore about this."

Draco breathed a sigh of relief knowing that his godfather was going to help. "Did you know Narcissa was going to pull something like this, Uncle?"

"I'm not surprised that she did. It's her way of striking back and attempting to hurt you," explained Severus.

"It's going to be all right, Draco," Harry said firmly. "Dad will make everything okay."

Draco finally managed a smile as he ruffled Harry's fine, silken hair. "He makes a lot of things okay, doesn't he, Snapelet?"

Harry grinned at his father. "Yeah, he does."

In the kitchen, the women were all together helping put the final touches of the feast together. Molly was telling the ladies about Percy.

"It's a complete mystery," Molly exclaimed. "Arthur says that Percy has been walking around the Ministry as though he's floating."

"Has Percy always been one to keep secrets so well?" asked Echo.

Ginny replied, "Percy has always kept to himself, so I think it was easy for him to keep secrets. He's probably met a girl."

Molly shook her head. "It isn't that. You know he's been dating that lovely witch that's a receptionist... I can't recall what department she's in."

"I know who you mean, mum," Ginny took a large shoot of biscuits from the oven and began dropping them into a wide basket. "but she always seemed a bit of a featherhead. Not quite someone I think Percy'd go for. Actually, I always thought Hermione and Percy would get together."

Hermione nearly choked on the pumpkin juice she was drinking. "Me and Percy? How did you ever come up with an idea like that, Gin?"

"Well, you and he both love books and you're both sticklers for all the rules and such," Ginny elaborated.

Minerva spoke up, "Miss Granger has never been as attached to the rules as young Percy was."

Ginny grinned, "Oh? Do tell, professor! Please?"

Minerva smiled tightly at Hermione, her eyes twinkling with mischief. "As I recall, Mr. Potter would never have been able to get close to the Philosopher's Stone had it not been for a clever girl deciphering Professor Snape's riddle. Also, she is the youngest person to have ever successfully brewed Polyjuice Potion."

Hermione's jaw dropped. "How did you know about that, Professor McGonagall?"

"Myrtle is quite a nosy gossip for a ghost. Mind you, it's too bad she didn't tell me before you were turned into a cat." Minerva let out a tiny chuckle and smiled.

The Floo whooshed, interrupting the conversation in the kitchen. Percy Weasley came through the Floo. Accompanying him were two tow-headed youngsters about Harry's age. Twins. A girl and a boy.

"Hello, mum!" Percy beamed.

"What have you here, Percy?" Molly asked as she looked down at the two children.

Percy nudged the two youngsters in front of himself. "Where's Dad, Mum? I'd like to make the introductions once."

"Arthur!" called Molly. "Percy's here! Bring everyone to the kitchen, would you, dear?"

"Of course, Molly!" came Arthur's reply.

Soon the kitchen was packed with people even though it had been expanded earlier in the week. The two children, a bit overwhelmed by all the people, leaned in towards Percy. Harry, standing a bit behind his father, waved at the youngsters.

"Everybody," began Percy with a rather uncharacteristic wide grin upon his face, "I'd like you to meet Sarah and Jared... Weasley."

For almost an entire minute there was complete silence in the kitchen. Molly was the first to break the silence. "I have grandchildren?" She dropped into one of the chairs surrounding the large table.

Fred and George nudged each other and gave their brother salacious winks. Percy interrupted his grin long enough to scowl at the two reprobates.

"Percy, I thought you were dating the receptionist in the Department of Childrens Services," goggled Arthur as he looked over the two, shy, youngsters.

"Nadia's a nice girl, but a bit featherheaded for me, Dad. Besides, I was too busy adopting Sarah and Jared."

With that the kitchen erupted with questions from all the adults. Harry could see that Sarah and Jared weren't at all comfortable with the noise, so he motioned to them to follow him into the living room. Echo had brought along some of Harry's art supplies for him to occupy himself with until it was time to unwrap presents. He parceled out paper for each twin and set down the box of crayons in the center of their small ring for all of them to reach. All three children began drawing.

"So Percy's your Dad now?" asked Harry.

"Yeah," replied Jared. He spoke with a light, Irish accent. "Mum died a long time back. Dad was an Auror. He got killed in the Cemetery Battle against You-Know-Who."

"Percy's real nice," added Sarah.

"Will you call him Dad?" asked Harry.

Sarah nodded. "Someday, maybe. It's still kind of weird and sometimes I still cry about our Dad."

"Specially today," sighed Jared.

"Your Dad's with your Mum, though," soothed Harry. "My Mum and Dad probably know your parents."

Sarah looked up from her drawing with a sparkle in her blue eyes. "Really? How... how did they... you know?" she asked, suddenly shy.

"Evil old Voldy-mort killed them when I was just barely a year old. My mum protected me and saved me from the Killing Curse with powerful magic," Harry explained.

Jared frowned, "Are you the Boy-Who-Lived? I don't see a scar on your forehead."

"I am kind of the Boy-Who-Lived, but I don't remember any of the stuff he did because I de-aged myself and lost a lot of my memories."

"That sounds confusing," remarked Sarah.

"It is, but then it isn't," Harry replied blithely. "I kind of think of Harry Potter as someone else. Sort of like in a fairytale? Whenever I hear stuff that he did I don't think I could've done all that."

Jared nodded knowingly. "Harry Potter was really brave. I bet nothing scared him since he killed You-Know-Who."

Harry chuckled, "I think my Dad would have walloped him and stuck his nose in a corner for a lot of the stuff he did."

"Yeah?" asked Jared. Harry nodded. "I heard that when he was eleven he hunted down a bunch of trolls that were tearing apart Hogwarts."

"And the basilisks," added Sarah. "Do you know about the big snakes?"

Harry nodded. "It was only one, though. But, it was really huge. Ginny knows lots about that story because she was kidnapped by a talking diary that was really the dark soul of Voldy-mort."

"Did Harry Potter really kill the basilisk with the Sword of Gryffindor and an old hat?" asked Jared.

"You can't kill a snake with a sword and a hat," scoffed Sarah.

"Potter did!" Jared huffed.

"He didn't!" Sarah grumped right back at her brother.

"Oh, but he did," all three children turned to see Albus Dumbledore seating himself on the sofa. Harry grinned at his grandfather.

"Told you so," Jared stuck his tongue out at his sister and then shifted around so he could see the Headmaster of Hogwarts better. "You're Alvin Dumbledore, aren't you?"

Harry sniggered at Jared getting his grandfather's first name wrong. "It's Albus!"

Jared glared at Harry. Albus smiled at the three children. "I am Albus Dumbledore. It was Harry Potter's faith in me that allowed him to summon the Sword of Gryffindor. Then, with my Phoenix's help, Harry Potter slew the beast in the Chamber of Secrets."

"Wicked!" breathed Jared.

"Cool!" marveled Harry as he grinned at his grandfather.

"What happened to the big snake, though, sir?" asked Sarah.

"I suppose it's still down there in the Chamber," Dumbledore replied.

"Ick!" declared Sarah. Dumbledore chuckled.

"Grandpa, maybe Dad ought to go down to the Chamber and get some scales and some of the basilisk poison. All that's s'posed to be really rare and expensive," suggested Harry.

"I never thought of that, Harry. Maybe your father would like to do that someday," agreed the Headmaster. "The scales and the poison would not decay."

Sarah's upper lip curled in disgust. "It probably smells really bad down there, now."

Jared looked up at Harry. "You don't 'member any of this?" he asked.

Harry shook his head and shrugged. "Nope. That's why I feel like some other Harry did all those things because I don't remember doing any of them."

"That's kind of weird, but neat," replied Jared. "Will you ever get those memories back?"

"Dad told me it was permanent," explained Harry. "And anyway, I'm not so sure I want those memories back. There was some neat stuff that Harry did, but really scary. I bet he had lots of horrible nightmares. I like the memories I have now much better and my nightmares aren't so bad."

Harry grew tired of the questioning from Sarah and Jared so he left the little circle the three children had on the floor and went over to where his father was sitting with Remus Lupin and Arthur Weasley. He leaned against Severus, who draped a comforting arm over Harry's shoulders, drawing him a bit closer to his side.

"You're serious," Arthur goggled at the other two wizards. "You didn't change this time, Remus?"

Remus shook his head. "I didn't. Of course, I slept for three days straight so it wasn't like I was able to enjoy the time."

"It's a cure, then?" Arthur asked of Severus.

"Unfortunately, no," sighed Severus as he drew Harry onto his lap. "With this latest formulation of Wolfsbane I was able to suppress the transition. It's very similar to the properties of Dreamless Sleep. As I'm sure you know, Dreamless Sleep Potion is not only addictive, the body eventually builds up a resistance to it. There have been wizards and witches that abused Dreamless Sleep and paid for it with even worse nightmares than before."

Severus hugged Harry to his chest and kissed the little boy's head. He didn't need to elaborate on the fact that he was one of those wizards that had abused Dreamless Sleep Potion at one time.

"Oh yes," Arthur nodded sagely as he caught a glimpse of his wife in the kitchen. "Dear Molly took Dreamless Sleep Potion after her brothers were killed during You-Know-Who's first rise to power."

"I'm a bit worried that the current formulation might have a similar, adverse effect in regards to the transition." Severus would have drummed his fingers on the arm of the chair in frustration, but Harry currently held his hand captive while he idly studied the various, faint scars, and blemishes that were a clear mark of a Potions Master.

Remus, who was trying to tone down the wide smile that threatened as he watched young Harry cuddled on his father's lap, interjected, "It's not a cure, as of yet, but the current formula ought to be somewhat of a key towards a cure."

"True," agreed Severus. "Since I now know what can suppress the transition, I can work from there in the hopes of effecting a cure."

"Dad?" interrupted Harry as he let his father's hand go. "Can I try what you're drinking?"

In his other hand, Severus had a crystal glass of fire whiskey over ice. He had only taken a few sips of the volatile drink.

"You're too young for fire whiskey," answered Severus. "Why don't you go in the kitchen and ask you mother for some pumpkin juice?"

"Okay." Harry slipped off his father's lap and headed for the kitchen, but stopped briefly to stare at the sparkling Christmas tree.

Just as Harry entered the kitchen and was about to ask his mother for something to drink, the Floo whooshed brightly and a slightly dizzy Dudley Dursley fell into the kitchen.

"Harry?" asked Dudley. "What are you doing here?"

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2497